Death of Bruno Lawrence.

af...@peg.apc.org

Jun 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/14/95
From: <afb2>

According to the FILM SHOW on Australia's SBS-TV tonight, the
well-known New Zealand actor/musician/experimental artist
Bruno Lawrence passed away yesterday. R.I.P.
Adam Bogacki. af...@peg.apc.org

Owen Coughlan

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95
In article <3rol51$l...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, pac...@aol.com (PAChad) wrote:
>Hi, afb2;
>
>Thanks for your post about the report of Bruno Lawrence's death.
>
>Could you please continue posting about this, if you hear any more
>details? I am afraid that the American press will not cover this story.
>
>I myself am a fan of "The Quiet Earth", and regret his death.
>
>PAChad

Bruno Lawrence is DEAD? Shit!

If you're a Lawrence fan, try "Spottiswood", an Australian film with Anthony
Hopkins. It was also released as "The Efficiency Expert". Lawrence is
excellent.

Owen Coughlan

ACE

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95
Oh shit.
I didn't know Lawrence was the guy in The Quiet Earth.
Too bad.
How did he die?

Ace

PAChad

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95

Joseph Lal

Jun 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/17/95
ACE (cf...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: Oh shit.

: Ace

I think it was cancer

af...@peg.apc.org

Jun 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/19/95
From: <afb2>

Bruno Lawrence
--------------

Musician and veteran actor Bruno Lawrence died last
weekend aged 54. He was diagnosed as having lung
cancer several months ago.

Bruno Lawrence was famous for many things - a
veteran drummer in many NZ bands, co-founder of
BLERTA the travelling musical extravaganza (Bruno
Lawrence's Electric Roadshow and Travelling A?) and
star of many NZ films including The Quiet Earth,
Utu, Goodbye Pork Pie, the Race for the Yankee
Zephyr and Smash Palace. There were some great
tributes to him from former colleagues such as
Beaver and Ian Watkin ("he brought together people
with even more diverse backgrounds than the
Alliance"), and his funeral was held on his home
marae in Waimarama.

He will be missed.
(obit. courtesy of H.Ed...@massey.ac.nz)

af...@peg.apc.org

Jun 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/19/95

Kool

Jun 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/20/95
In article <3s5occ$d...@metro.ucc.su.OZ.AU>, ma...@geko.com.au says...

>In article <3ru0g6$3vd$1...@sydney.DIALix.oz.au> Joseph Lal,
>It was cancer - he was a heavy smoker (although tobacco companies would
still
>argue the connection), remember his gravelly voice?
>BTW he was recently involved with an excellent Australian TV show called
>"Front Line" which parodied TV current affairs. It was a comedy but
without a
>laugh track and some very dry humour - a style similar to "The Larry
Sanders
>Show" but IMHO better. Bruno played the producer without a conscience. I
don't
>know what the availability of this show is outside Australasia but it is
well
>worth a look.

I'm sure I read that "Frontline" had been sold to someone (sorry I don't
remember) in the U.S. There was a large story in one of the Newspapers.

Dianne

Mark Williams

Jun 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/20/95
mac...@sydney.DIALix.oz.au writes:
>ACE (cf...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
>: Oh shit.
>: I didn't know Lawrence was the guy in The Quiet Earth.
>: Too bad.
>: How did he die?
>
>: Ace
>
>I think it was cancer

It was cancer - he was a heavy smoker (although tobacco companies would still
argue the connection), remember his gravelly voice?
BTW he was recently involved with an excellent Australian TV show called
"Front Line" which parodied TV current affairs. It was a comedy but without a
laugh track and some very dry humour - a style similar to "The Larry Sanders
Show" but IMHO better. Bruno played the producer without a conscience. I don't
know what the availability of this show is outside Australasia but it is well
worth a look.

Mark W.

"LAST | It's Mark Williams pissing his time | "Can't rest on
TIME | away down the Internet. | your laurels now,
TO |-------------------------------------------------| not when
MAKE | "He had softly and suddenly vanished away - | you've got none"
PLANS!"| For the Snark was a Boojum, you see." | (JD '79)
(TH '80)| (LC 1876) |

Angela Davies

Jun 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/24/95
In article <3s624u$5...@kettle.magna.com.au>, ko...@magna.com.au (Kool)
wrote:

>In article <3s5occ$d...@metro.ucc.su.OZ.AU>, ma...@geko.com.au says...
>>

>>>: I didn't know Lawrence was the guy in The Quiet Earth.

>>>: Too bad.
>>>: How did he die?
>>>
>>>: Ace

>>It was cancer - he was a heavy smoker (although tobacco companies

would
>still
>>argue the connection), remember his gravelly voice?
>>BTW he was recently involved with an excellent Australian TV show
called
>>"Front Line" which parodied TV current affairs. It was a comedy but
>without a
>>laugh track and some very dry humour - a style similar to "The Larry
>Sanders

Did you know he started out as a drummer and singer in a pop group
back in the late 60s early 70s and was very well loved here.
He made a number of other films, the best known being "Smash Palace".
He also did some producing and directing.

Angela

ACE

Jun 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/26/95
He sounded like a very talented and well-rounded entertainer.
Rest In Peace.