Kevin Bacon is the Center of the Universe

Alexander Wyeth Ruthven

Apr 7, 1994, 11:08:25 AM4/7/94

It is a little known fact that any actor or actress can be linked back
to Kevin Bacon. For example:

Nick Nolte was in
CAPE FEAR with
Robert De Niro who was in
GOODFELLAS with
Joe Pesci who was in
JFK
with Kevin Bacon.

This thread has been circulating at the University of Virginia, where it
has recieved 80 responses in just over a week.

Try it with anyone, it works!
Wyeth Ruthven
465-1 Lambeth
Charlottesville, VA 22904

Don Porter

Apr 7, 1994, 12:37:53 PM4/7/94
<CnwA2...@murdoch.acc.virginia.edu>, (Alexander Wyeth Ruthven) wrote:
> Nick Nolte was in
> CAPE FEAR with
> Robert De Niro who was in
> GOODFELLAS with
> Joe Pesci who was in
> JFK
> with Kevin Bacon.
> [...]

>Try it with anyone, it works!

OK, let's give it a try...

Jaye Davidson was in
THE CRYING GAME with
Stephen Rea who was in
ANGIE with
Geena Davis who was in
A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN with
Rosie O'Donnell who will be in
THE FLINTSTONES with
Elizabeth Perkins who was in
HE SAID, SHE SAID
with Kevin Bacon

Darn, only four degrees of separation. Somebody try Stockard Channing.

--
| Don Porter | d...@saturn.wustl.edu | Washington University in St Louis |
| "The effect of liberty to individuals is, that they may do what they |

Cal Lott

Apr 7, 1994, 1:19:14 PM4/7/94
d...@atlas.wustl.edu (Don Porter) writes:

><CnwA2...@murdoch.acc.virginia.edu>, (Alexander Wyeth Ruthven) wrote:
>> Nick Nolte was in
>> CAPE FEAR with
>> Robert De Niro who was in
>> GOODFELLAS with
>> Joe Pesci who was in
>> JFK
>> with Kevin Bacon.
>> [...]
>>Try it with anyone, it works!

>OK, let's give it a try...

>Jaye Davidson was in
> THE CRYING GAME with
>Stephen Rea who was in
> ANGIE with
>Geena Davis who was in
> A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN with
>Rosie O'Donnell who will be in
> THE FLINTSTONES with
>Elizabeth Perkins who was in
> HE SAID, SHE SAID
>with Kevin Bacon

>Darn, only four degrees of separation. Somebody try Stockard Channing.

Ok:

Stockard Channing was in
SIX DEGREES OF SEPERATION with
Donald Sutherland who was in
LOST BOYS with
Kiefer Sutherland who was in
FLATLINERS
with Kevin Bacon

Only two degrees of seperation here. If you can link the actor with
someone as prolific as Donald Sutherland, you've got it made.

I'd be impressed if somebody could do it with an older actor. You
know, some one like, oh . . . Myrna Loy.

Or an actor who hasn't done many films. Jane March, for instance.

The worst would be an obscure older actor who only did one film. But
that's not in the spirit of the game, I guess. 8-)

Regards,

-Cal
"From all us Slackers to all you Boomers ... HAHAHAHAHAHA! WE HAVE
SATELLITE MOUNTED RAIL-GUNS! HEH HEH. Who's laughing now?"-- S. Lang

Peter Merholz

Apr 7, 1994, 2:18:57 PM4/7/94
In article <CnwA2...@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>,

aw...@darwin.clas.Virginia.EDU (Alexander Wyeth Ruthven) wrote:

> It is a little known fact that any actor or actress can be linked back
> to Kevin Bacon.

> Try it with anyone, it works!
> Wyeth Ruthven
> 465-1 Lambeth
> Charlottesville, VA 22904

A friend did, with Pauly Shore no less. And got:

Pauly Shore was in ENCINO MAN with Sean Astin who was in GOONIES with Corey
Feldman who was in THE LOST BOYS with Kiefer Sutherland who was in A FEW
GOOD MEN with...

Kevin Bacon.

It helps that Kevin Bacon's been in JFK and A FEW GOOD MEN, two films
filled with popular actors...

--Peter

Don Porter

Apr 7, 1994, 2:25:45 PM4/7/94
<14...@midway.uchicago.edu> (Cal Lott) writes:
> I'd be impressed if somebody could do it with an older actor. You
> know, some one like, oh . . . Myrna Loy.

Myrna Loy was in
IT HAPPENED AT LAKEWOOD MANOR with
Brian Dennehy who was in
COCOON with
Steve Guttenberg who was in
3 MEN AND A BABY with
Tom Selleck who was in
AN INNOCENT MAN with
F. Murray Abraham who was in
LAST ACTION HERO with
Austin O'Brien who was in
THE LAWNMOWER MAN with
Jenny Wright who was in
QUEENS LOGIC
with Kevin Bacon.

Six!

> Or an actor who hasn't done many films. Jane March, for instance.

You've got me there. Can't escape from THE LOVER.

> The worst would be an obscure older actor who only did one film.

Like Pat Walshe. Or any obscure actor. Try Demian Slade.

---

Fozzie Bear

Apr 7, 1994, 4:08:56 PM4/7/94
In article <2o1ct1$s...@bigfoot.wustl.edu>,
Don Porter <d...@atlas.wustl.edu> wrote:

>Darn, only four degrees of separation. Somebody try Stockard Channing.

Okay...short and sweet

Stockard Channing was in
SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION with
Donald Sutherland who was in
JFK
with Kevin Bacon

Guess if it's good enough for UVa...we might as well tell the world 8-)

--
|Jeff Hawkins- Trombonist, Virginia Pep Band "We're not the ones who suck"
|"Remember son, in sports it's not whether you win or lose, it's how drunk
| you get"-Homer Simpson
|All Hail Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem..."They don't look Presbyterian"

na6230600-Thompson

Apr 7, 1994, 4:46:19 PM4/7/94
Myrna Loy who was in
THE END with
Burt Reynolds who was in
STARTING OVER with
Candice Bergen who was in
CARNAL KNOWLEDGE with
Jack Nicholson who was in
A FEW GOOD MEN
with Kevin Bacon

Michel Hafner

Apr 7, 1994, 5:27:46 PM4/7/94
In article <2o1j79$c...@bigfoot.wustl.edu> d...@atlas.wustl.edu writes:

>> Or an actor who hasn't done many films. Jane March, for instance.
>
>You've got me there. Can't escape from THE LOVER.

Leung, Tony (I)|Lover, The|
Leung, Tony (I)|Better Tomorrow III, A|
Chow, Yun Fat|Better Tomorrow III, A|
Chow, Yun Fat|Killer, The|
Ernsberger, Duke|Killer, The|
Ernsberger, Duke|Summer Heat (1987)|
Edwards, Anthony|Summer Heat (1987)|
Edwards, Anthony|Top Gun (1986)|
Cruise, Tom|Top Gun (1986)|
Cruise, Tom|Few Good Men, A|
Bacon, Kevin|Few Good Men, A|

Voila!

Anybody for Maria Falconetti??
MH
--
Michel Hafner |\ /||\ /|| Email: haf...@ifi.unizh.ch
Dept. of Computer Science | \/ || \/ || Tel.: +41 1 257 4317

bhar...@lobby.ti.com

Apr 7, 1994, 5:34:13 PM4/7/94

>Ok:

Actually, Kiefer was in Lost Boys, not
Donald.
BUT
Stockard Channing was in
GREASE
with John Travolta who was in
LOOK WHO"S TALKING
with Bruce Willis who was in
THE PLAYER
with Julia Roberts who was in
FLATLINERS with

KEVIN BACON!

or how about
OMAR SHARIF who was in
FUNNY GIRL
with Barbra Streisand who was in
NUTS
with Richard Dreyfuss who was in
MOON OVER PARADOR
with Sonia Braga who was in
THE MILAGRO BEANFIELD WAR
with Daniel Stern who was in
DINER with

KEVIN BACON

(top that one if you can!!!)

Liz

Don Porter

Apr 7, 1994, 6:34:56 PM4/7/94
<5...@ifi.unizh.ch> (Michel Hafner) writes:
> Anybody for Maria Falconetti??

Maria Falconetti was in
THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC with
Michel Simon who was in
SCENT OF A WOMAN (1992) with
Chris O'Donnell who was in
THE THREE MUSKETEERS (1993) with
Oliver Platt who was in
FLATLINERS
with Kevin Bacon.

OK, what's the Bacon number for Anna Paquin?

Cal Lott

Apr 7, 1994, 6:48:27 PM4/7/94
d...@atlas.wustl.edu (Don Porter) writes:

><14...@midway.uchicago.edu> (Cal Lott) writes:
>> I'd be impressed if somebody could do it with an older actor. You
>> know, some one like, oh . . . Myrna Loy.

>Myrna Loy was in
> IT HAPPENED AT LAKEWOOD MANOR with
>Brian Dennehy who was in
> COCOON with
>Steve Guttenberg who was in
> 3 MEN AND A BABY with
>Tom Selleck who was in
> AN INNOCENT MAN with
>F. Murray Abraham who was in
> LAST ACTION HERO with
>Austin O'Brien who was in
> THE LAWNMOWER MAN with
>Jenny Wright who was in
> QUEENS LOGIC
>with Kevin Bacon.

>Six!

That's great, but I can beat it:

Myrna Loy was in
IT HAPPENED AT LAKEWOOD MANOR with
Brian Dennehy who was in

SILVERADO with
Kevin Costner who was in
JFK
with Kevin Bacon.

Only two degrees of seperation!

Goddamn. I would have never gotten the LAKEWOOD MANOR reference if you
hadn't posted it, either. I've never even heard of the film before!

Ok. Anybody game for Charles Chaplin? (And no, the Chaplin footage in
Attenborough's CHAPLIN biopic doesn't count -- original films only,
please. 8-) )

Or Cary Grant?

Or Catherine Hepburn?

>> Or an actor who hasn't done many films. Jane March, for instance.

>You've got me there. Can't escape from THE LOVER.

Yeah, me neither. Tony Leung *might* let you get out, but it
would have to be a pretty obscure reference.

>> The worst would be an obscure older actor who only did one film.

>Like Pat Walshe. Or any obscure actor. Try Demian Slade.

You got me there. Never heard of either of them.

Planning to brush up on my classic movies,

-Cal

P.S. This is fun! 8-)

Don Porter

Apr 7, 1994, 7:33:59 PM4/7/94

<28...@midway.uchicago.edu> (Cal Lott) writes:
> Myrna Loy was in IT HAPPENED AT LAKEWOOD MANOR with
> Brian Dennehy who was in SILVERADO with
> Kevin Costner who was in JFK with
> Kevin Bacon.

Even easier, just short circuit my list from Steve Guttenberg straight to
Kevin Bacon through DINER. Bonus: I avoid the over-used (IMHO) JFK and
A FEW GOOD MEN.

But I was also going for the resonance of Six degrees of separation.
Including Austin O'Brien was a nice touch I thought.

> Goddamn. I would have never gotten the LAKEWOOD MANOR reference if you
> hadn't posted it, either. I've never even heard of the film before!

1977 made-for-TV flick starring Suzanne Somers. Turns up on late night TV
frequently under the title ANTS, which is what it's about -- killer armies
of ants. I think Myrna Loy was brought out of (semi-?) retirement to appear
in this one.

> Ok. Anybody game for Charles Chaplin? Or Cary Grant? Or Catherine Hepburn?

I'll pass for now.

>> Like Pat Walshe. Or any obscure actor. Try Demian Slade.
> You got me there. Never heard of either of them.

Walshe is in THE WIZARD OF OZ, if that gets you started.

Slade plays the paper boy in BETTER OFF DEAD (1985). His Bacon number is 2:

Demian Slade was in BETTER OFF DEAD (1985) with
Daniel Schneider who was in THE BIG PICTURE with
Kevin Bacon

Alexander Wyeth Ruthven

Apr 7, 1994, 9:13:57 PM4/7/94

Charlie Chaplin was in
THE COUNTESS OF HONG KONG with
Marlon Brando who was in
THE GODFATHER with
Al Pacino who was in
GODFATHER, PART II with

Robert De Niro who was in
GOODFELLAS with

Joe Pesci who was in
JFK
with Kevin Bacon.

Some near stumpers from UVa.
George C. Scott
Adrienne Shelly
Cheech Marin
Benjy.

Enjoy,
Wyeth

Cristen West

Apr 7, 1994, 9:22:33 PM4/7/94

The link is shorter. Pauly Shore was in ENCINO MAN with Sean Astin who
starred in a movie with Kevin Bacon. I am not sure about the name of
the movie, though. It was something like "Whitewaters", and it was
about a spoiled kid (Astin) having to go on a hike with some other kids.
The guide was Bacon, and he had his hands full with these brats. The boys
eventually caused Bacon to fall off a cliff and injure himself. They
wisen up and set on a mission to return him to safety on the whitewater.
I only saw it once on tv, but I loved it. I want to find out the name
for sure to see if I can rent it. Sorry to get off the subject, but
this was a great Bacon movie. I fell in love with him in this one.

Cris 10

Phineas

Apr 7, 1994, 9:30:30 PM4/7/94
c...@gsbux1.uchicago.edu (Cal Lott) writes:

Let's see, Jack Nicholson...

Jack Nicholson was in A Few Good Men with Tom Cruise

Tom Cruise was in Taps with Timothy Hutton

Timothy Hutton was in Ordinary People with Donald Sutherland

Donald Sutherland was in JFK with Kevin Bacon

Hmmmm....

--Phineas Narco

Craig R Albrechtson

Apr 7, 1994, 10:45:18 PM4/7/94
In article <1994Apr8.0...@Armstrong.EDU> west...@Armstrong.EDU (Cristen West) writes:

Lets see if Kevin bacon is the center of the Universe

Clark Gable
who Starred in Gone with the wind with
Vivian Leigh
who Starred in Streetcar named desire with
Marlon Brando
who Starred in Godfather with
Al Pacino
who starred in Sea of love with
John goodman
who starred in Flinstones with
Elizabeth perkins
who starred in She's having a baby with
KEVIN BACON

I guess so

* Craig Reese Albrechtson (Slider) * University of Wisconsin Milwaukee *
* The usual meaningless disclaimers apply * cra...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu *

Matt Brockman

Apr 7, 1994, 10:51:18 PM4/7/94
Arnold Scharzenegger was in
TWINS with
Danny DeVito who was on
TAXI with
Christopher Lloyd who was in
BACK TO THE FUTURE with
Michael J. Fox who was on
FAMILY TIES with
Michael Gross who was in
TREMORS with...

Kevin Bacon!
Matt Brockman mbro...@ecn.purdue.edu
"While a llama may produce some of the world's finest of wools, prized
around the world, their breath, on the other hand, could only
be prized somewhere in the far reaches of llama hell."

Grant Heinrich

Apr 8, 1994, 12:17:13 AM4/8/94
ph...@west.darkside.com (Phineas) writes:

>Let's see, Jack Nicholson...

>Jack Nicholson was in A Few Good Men with

Kevin Bacon?

mike d'angelo

Apr 8, 1994, 12:35:59 AM4/8/94
In article <2o21qg$b...@bigfoot.wustl.edu>, d...@atlas.wustl.edu (Don Porter) writes:
><5...@ifi.unizh.ch> (Michel Hafner) writes:
>> Anybody for Maria Falconetti??
>
>Maria Falconetti was in
> THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC with
>Michel Simon who was in
> SCENT OF A WOMAN (1992) with
>Chris O'Donnell who was in
> THE THREE MUSKETEERS (1993) with
>Oliver Platt who was in
> FLATLINERS
>with Kevin Bacon.
>
>OK, what's the Bacon number for Anna Paquin?

No problem.

Anna Paquin was in
THE PIANO with
Holly Hunter who was in
ONCE AROUND with

Richard Dreyfuss who was in

STAKEOUT with
Madeleine Stowe who was in
SHORT CUTS with
Fred Ward who was in
TREMORS with
KEVIN BACON

This is kinda fun...

Someone do Toshiro Mifune.

Mike D'Angelo

PETERSEN KIRK A

Apr 8, 1994, 1:04:09 AM4/8/94
In article <2o2597$b...@bigfoot.wustl.edu>,

Don Porter <d...@atlas.wustl.edu> wrote:
>> Ok. Anybody game for Charles Chaplin? Or Cary Grant? Or Catherine Hepburn?

Ok. I'll try Chaplin.

hmm... tough...

How about relatives?

Charles daughter Geraldine in Nashville...
Elliot Gould in Nashville
Elliot Gould in MASH
Donald Sutherland in MASH
Donald Sutherland in JFK
Kevin Bacon...

if relatives don't count, how about Elizabeth Taylor. I believe she was in
Chaplins last film.

Kirk Petersen
un...@clark.edu

Steven Miale

Apr 8, 1994, 2:26:21 AM4/8/94
In article <2o2mvf$7...@cmcl2.nyu.edu>,
mike d'angelo <mqd...@ACFcluster.NYU.EDU> wrote:
>Someone do Toshiro Mifune.

Too easy.

Toshiro Mifune was in
1941
with John Belushi who was in
ANIMAL HOUSE
with Kevin Bacon.

How about:

Charleton Heston
Groucho Marx
Walter Matthau
Omar Sharif

Steve

--
Steven Miale - smi...@cs.indiana.edu | Don't blame me -
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN | I voted Libertarian.

Fozzie Bear

Apr 8, 1994, 4:08:50 AM4/8/94
In article <2o2mvf$7...@cmcl2.NYU.EDU>,

mike d'angelo <mqd...@ACFcluster.NYU.EDU> wrote:

Or you can do it a little more round-about

Anna Paquin was in
THE PIANO with

Harvey Keitel who was in
RESERVOIR DOGS with
Michael Madsen who was in
THE GETAWAY with
Kim Basinger who was in
BATMAN with
Michael Keaton who was in
THE DREAM TEAM with
Stephen Furst who was in

ANIMAL HOUSE
with Kevin Bacon

I really need to get a hobby.....

--
|Jeff Hawkins- Trombonist, Virginia Pep Band "We're not the ones who suck"
|"Remember son, in sports it's not whether you win or lose, it's how drunk

| you get"-Homer Simpson "They don't look like
|All Hail Dr. Teeth & the Electric Mayhem- Presbyterians to me"

Michel Hafner

Apr 8, 1994, 6:13:24 AM4/8/94
In article <2o21qg$b...@bigfoot.wustl.edu> d...@atlas.wustl.edu writes:
><5...@ifi.unizh.ch> (Michel Hafner) writes:
>> Anybody for Maria Falconetti??
>
>Maria Falconetti was in
> THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC with
>Michel Simon who was in
> SCENT OF A WOMAN (1992) with

Huh? Looks like an error. Michel Simon in SCENT OF A WOMAN (1992)??

>Chris O'Donnell who was in
> THE THREE MUSKETEERS (1993) with

>Oliver Platt who was in...

Benjamin Todd Tritle

Apr 8, 1994, 6:45:31 AM4/8/94
OK, here's a tough one (maybe)...

Elizabeth Taylor (this one could be a little drawn out, by the way I tied
it together).

-Ben

Benjamin Todd Tritle

Apr 8, 1994, 6:55:35 AM4/8/94
PETERSEN KIRK A (un...@clark.edu) wrote:

: if relatives don't count, how about Elizabeth Taylor. I believe she was in
: Chaplins last film.

I realize that I'm following up my own post with something else, but I
really wanted to get this down while I still remembered, thereby creating
the link to Elizabeth Taylor (the Charlie Chaplin-ET link goes to someone
else)...

ELIZABETH TAYLOR - National Velvet
with
ANGELA LANSBURY - Beauty and the Beast
with
JERRY ORBACH - Dirty Dancing
with
JENNIFER GREY - Ferris Bueller's Day Off
with
MATTHEW BRODERICK - Glory
with
DENZEL WASHINGTON - Philadelphia
with
TOM HANKS - Big
with
ELIZABETH PERKINS - He Said, She Said
with
KEVIN BACON

so would that be a Bacon Number 7?

And someone else discover Charlie Chaplin, I'm bushed.

-Ben Tritle

Benjamin Todd Tritle

Apr 8, 1994, 6:59:39 AM4/8/94
Phineas (ph...@west.darkside.com) wrote:

: Let's see, Jack Nicholson...

: Jack Nicholson was in A Few Good Men with Tom Cruise

: Tom Cruise was in Taps with Timothy Hutton

: Timothy Hutton was in Ordinary People with Donald Sutherland

: Donald Sutherland was in JFK with Kevin Bacon

Should I even bother saying

Jack Nicholson was in A Few Good Men with Kevin Bacon...

or was this looking for another tie?

-Ben Tritle

die Wawafrau

Apr 8, 1994, 7:13:50 AM4/8/94
Charlton Heston was in
TREASURE ISLAND
with Christian Bale who was in
SWING KIDS
with that guy who played Emile who was in
A FEW GOOD MEN (as the corporal dude)
with Kevin Bacon!

Walter Matthau was in
Grumpy Old Men
with Ann-Margaret who was in
Newsies
with Christian Bale...

How about Telly Savalas? Erik Estrada? Emmanuel Lewis?

--
><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
Est :) "Yet she wish'd/that heaven
h...@minerva.cis.yale.edu had made her such a fish." -I.iii
<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

Benjamin Todd Tritle

Apr 8, 1994, 7:30:24 AM4/8/94
Steven Miale (smi...@cs.indiana.edu) wrote:

: Charleton Heston

I obviously have too much free time on my hands....
BUT I can do this one...

CHARLETON HESTON - Planet of the Apes
with
RODDY MACDOWELL - Class of '84 (The year might be off)
with
MICHAEL J. FOX - Family Ties
with
MICHAEL GROSS - Tremors
with
KEVIN BACON

Bacon=3

-Ben Tritle
(If Kevin Bacon IS the center of the universe, then what is MY personal Bacon
number?)

Benjamin Todd Tritle

Apr 8, 1994, 7:51:05 AM4/8/94
Steven Miale (smi...@cs.indiana.edu) wrote:
: Walter Matthau

WALTER MATTHAU - The Odd Couple
with
JACK LEMMON - Glengarry Glen Ross
with
AL PACINO - The Godfather P. II
with
ROBERT DENIRO - Goodfellas
with
JOE PESCI - J.F.K.
with
KEVIN BACON

-Ben Tritle

Rhett Shumpert

Apr 8, 1994, 8:38:53 AM4/8/94
George C. Scott was in TAPS with
Tom Cruise who was in A FEW GOOD MEN with
Kevin Bacon

--
"If you run with the footmen and they weary thee, how will you contend with
the horses? . . . you have to run with the horsemen whether you always feel

Boyd Nation

Apr 8, 1994, 8:58:42 AM4/8/94

Nobody's taken the challenge of doing Pat Walshe yet, so here goes. I'm
going to have to cheat and use the database to get started.

Pat Walshe -- Panic in the Streets
Jack Palance -- Panic in the Streets, Batman
Jack Nicholson -- Batman, A Few Good Men
Kevin Bacon -- A Few Good Men

There now, that wasn't so bad.

--
Boyd Nation bo...@cc.msstate.edu Stress kills.

Boyd Nation

Apr 8, 1994, 9:04:00 AM4/8/94
In article <2o3d77$s...@bigfoot.wustl.edu>,

Benjamin Todd Tritle <bttr...@artsci.wustl.edu> wrote:
>And someone else discover Charlie Chaplin, I'm bushed.

Charlie Chaplin -- The Great Dictator
Paulette Goddard -- The Great Dictator, Vice Squad (1953)
Edward G. Robinson -- Vice Squad, Soylent Green
Charlton Heston -- Soylent Green

Somebody already did Heston, so we'll leave it there.

HO ROBERT ANDREW

Apr 8, 1994, 9:09:37 AM4/8/94
In article <2o3gf9$9...@bigfoot.wustl.edu>,

Benjamin Todd Tritle <bttr...@artsci.wustl.edu> wrote:
>Steven Miale (smi...@cs.indiana.edu) wrote:
>: Walter Matthau
>
>WALTER MATTHAU - The Odd Couple
>with
>JACK LEMMON - Glengarry Glen Ross

Both of these guys were in JFK, so their Bacon number is 1.

--
Robert Ho
Univ. of Toronto

Boyd Nation

Apr 8, 1994, 9:57:35 AM4/8/94
In article <2o3msa$o...@news.gatech.edu>,
Thomas Miller <tmi...@cimmeria.oit.gatech.edu> wrote:

I haven't checked these for optimality, but

>Charles Bronson?

Charles Bronson -- The Indian Runner
Valeria Golino -- The Indian Runner, Rain Man
Tom Cruise -- Rain Man, A Few Good Men

Kevin Bacon -- A Few Good Men

>Clint Eastwood?

Clint Eastwood -- A Perfect World
Kevin Costner -- A Perfect World, JFK
Kevin Bacon -- JFK

Thomas Miller

Apr 8, 1994, 9:40:25 AM4/8/94

Charles Bronson?

Clint Eastwood?

--
Thomas Miller tmi...@cimmeria.oit.gatech.edu
Systems Support Specialist II Georgia Tech Network Services

Cal Lott

Apr 8, 1994, 10:34:58 AM4/8/94
aw...@darwin.clas.Virginia.EDU (Alexander Wyeth Ruthven) writes:

>Charlie Chaplin was in
> THE COUNTESS OF HONG KONG with
>Marlon Brando who was in
> THE GODFATHER with
>Al Pacino who was in
> GODFATHER, PART II with
>Robert De Niro who was in
> GOODFELLAS with
>Joe Pesci who was in
> JFK
>with Kevin Bacon.

>Some near stumpers from UVa.
>George C. Scott

George C. Scott was in
DR. STRANGELOVE: OR, HOW I LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LOVE
THE BOMB with
James Earl Jones who was in
FIELD OF DREAMS with
Kevin Costner who was in
JFK with
Kevin Bacon

Scott's Bacon Number is two!

>Adrienne Shelly

I don't know her.

>Cheech Marin

Could we possibly get out via BORN IN EAST L.A.? (Just a
thought -- I never saw that film, and I don't think that any of the
Cheech and Chongs give us a cameo that we can use as an escape
route.)

>Benjy.

Woof. That's a tough one.

Regards,

-Cal

Cal Lott

Apr 8, 1994, 10:41:29 AM4/8/94
tmi...@cimmeria.oit.gatech.edu (Thomas Miller) writes:

>Charles Bronson?

Hmmm, indeed.

>Clint Eastwood?

Too easy:

Clint Eastwood was in
A PERFECT WORLD with

Kevin Costner who was in
JFK with
Kevin Bacon

Clint's Bacon Number is one!

Jeffrey Davis

Apr 8, 1994, 10:47:32 AM4/8/94

Richard Burbage?
--
Jeffrey Davis <da...@ca.uky.edu> Accordionally yours!

bl...@gpx01.d39.lilly.com

Apr 8, 1994, 11:25:42 AM4/8/94
In article <1994Apr7.2...@midway.uchicago.edu>, c...@gsbux1.uchicago.edu (Cal Lott) writes:

> Or Catherine Hepburn?

Catherine Hepburn
ON GOLDEN POND
Jane Fonda
ELECTRIC HORSEMAN
Robert Redford
THE STING
Paul Newman
THE COLOR OF MONEY
Tom Cruise
A FEW GOOD MEN
Kevin Bacon

Chodorow Jordan

Apr 8, 1994, 11:26:25 AM4/8/94
Heck, I can even do it for an American Gladiator.^tm

Zap -- a/k/a Raye Hollitt -- was in
SKIN DEEP with
Vincent Gardenia who was in
MOONSTRUCK with
Nicolas Cage who was in
GUARDING TESS with
Shirley MacLaine who was in
DEFENDING YOUR LIFE with
Meryl Streep who was in
THE RIVER WILD with
Kevin Bacon.

What I would really like to see are some chains ending in Kevin's more
obscure movies: "White Water Summer," "The Big Picture," "Criminal Law," etc.

Jordan

cb...@pipeline.com

Apr 8, 1994, 11:26:59 AM4/8/94
Toshiro Mifune?

CJB

bhar...@lobby.ti.com

Apr 8, 1994, 11:32:32 AM4/8/94

>In article <2o2mvf$7...@cmcl2.nyu.edu>,
>mike d'angelo <mqd...@ACFcluster.NYU.EDU> wrote:
>>Someone do Toshiro Mifune.

>Too easy.

>Toshiro Mifune was in
> 1941
>with John Belushi who was in
> ANIMAL HOUSE
>with Kevin Bacon.

>How about:

> Charleton Heston
> Groucho Marx
> Walter Matthau
> Omar Sharif

>Steve

I'll post this again
Omar Sharif was in FUNNY GIRL with
Barbra Streisand who was in NUTS with
Richard Dreyfuss who was in MOON OVER PARADOR with
Sonia Braga who was in MILAGRO BEANFIELD WAR with
Daniel Stern who was in DINER with

KEVIN BACON
(you could probably get closer but I liked having Sonia Braga in there)

Walter Matthau was in BAD NEWS BEARS with
Jackie what's his name who played the kid that cussed all the time
anyway he was in BREAKING AWAY with
Daniel Stern who was in DINER with
KEVIN BACON

how 'bout John Barrymore but not using Drew?
Liz

Benjamin Todd Tritle

Apr 8, 1994, 12:00:10 PM4/8/94
Cal Lott (c...@gsbux1.uchicago.edu) wrote:

: >Benjy.

: Woof. That's a tough one.

I proudly accept the challenge to come up with this one...

BENJI - (I forget the name, but there is one)
with
CHEVY CHASE - National Lampoon's Vacation
with
ANTHONY MICHAEL HALL - Breakfast Club
with
ALLY SHEEDY - Short Circuit
with
STEVE GUTTENBERG - Diner
with
KEVIN BACON

I apologize for lack of movie title, but I'm dead certain about the movie with
Chevy Chase because the plot revolved around Chevy Chase as a detective who
either dies and is reincarnated, OR just plain turns into a dog (Benji). If
someone could help me out, I know the rest of it is correct.

-Ben Tritle

Joseph Hernandez

Apr 8, 1994, 12:02:50 PM4/8/94
In article <2o2mvf$7...@cmcl2.nyu.edu>,
mike d'angelo <mqd...@ACFcluster.NYU.EDU> wrote:
>Anna Paquin was in
> THE PIANO with
>Holly Hunter who was in
> ONCE AROUND with

>Richard Dreyfuss who was in
> STAKEOUT with
>Madeleine Stowe who was in
> SHORT CUTS with
>Fred Ward who was in
> TREMORS with
>KEVIN BACON

There is a much faster match between Anna Paquin and Kevin Bacon:

Anna Paquin was in
THE PIANO with
Holly Hunter who was in

THE FIRM with

Tom Cruise who was in
A FEW GOOD MEN with

Kevin Bacon.

Joe
--
Joseph Hernandez : | | / \ THE Through riots, floods, fires,
jtc...@ocf.berkeley.edu : | | | . | CITY and earthquakes, there's no

Benjamin Todd Tritle

Apr 8, 1994, 12:05:16 PM4/8/94
Chodorow Jordan (jcho...@cc.brynmawr.edu) wrote:
: Heck, I can even do it for an American Gladiator.^tm

: Zap -- a/k/a Raye Hollitt -- was in
: SKIN DEEP with
: Vincent Gardenia who was in
: MOONSTRUCK with
: Nicolas Cage who was in
: GUARDING TESS with
: Shirley MacLaine who was in
: DEFENDING YOUR LIFE with
: Meryl Streep who was in
: THE RIVER WILD with
: Kevin Bacon.

I can go one better...

"NITRO" aka Dan Clark - Death Becomes Her
with
MERYL STREEP - The River Wild

Boyd Nation

Apr 8, 1994, 12:07:01 PM4/8/94
In article <1994Apr8.1...@midway.uchicago.edu>,

Cal Lott <c...@gsbux1.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>aw...@darwin.clas.Virginia.EDU (Alexander Wyeth Ruthven) writes:
>>Adrienne Shelly

This was surprisingly hard, given that they're more or less contemporaries.
Here's the shortest one I could find:

Adrienne Shelly -- Hexed
Robin Curtis -- Hexed, Star Trek IV
William Shatner -- Star Trek IV, Star Trek II
Kirstie Alley -- Star Trek II, Runaway
Tom Selleck -- Runaway, Three Men and a Baby
Steve Guttenberg -- Three Men and a Baby, Diner
Kevin Bacon -- Diner

>>Cheech Marin

Cheech Marin -- Troop Beverly Hills
Shelley Long -- Troop Beverly Hills, Don't Tell Her It's Me
Steve Guttenberg --Don't Tell Her It's Me, Diner
Kevin Bacon -- Diner

Joseph Hernandez

Apr 8, 1994, 12:07:07 PM4/8/94
In article <2o3v7a$c...@agate.berkeley.edu>, Joseph Hernandez
<jtc...@OCF.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:
>There is a much faster match between Anna Paquin and Kevin Bacon:
>Anna Paquin was in
> THE PIANO with
>Holly Hunter who was in
> THE FIRM with
>Tom Cruise who was in
> A FEW GOOD MEN with
>Kevin Bacon.

What is the Bacon number for
Scott Baio who starred in the
early '80's film 'Zapped'?

Is there one?

Joseph Hernandez

Apr 8, 1994, 12:14:02 PM4/8/94
In article <JPwFkc...@west.darkside.com>, Phineas <ph...@west.darkside.com>

wrote:
>Let's see, Jack Nicholson...
>Jack Nicholson was in A Few Good Men with Tom Cruise
>Tom Cruise was in Taps with Timothy Hutton
>Timothy Hutton was in Ordinary People with Donald Sutherland
>Donald Sutherland was in JFK with Kevin Bacon

Don't even go that far, JACK NICHOLSON
and KEVIN BACON were both in the cast
of A FEW GOOD MEN. In fact, Bacon
played the military attorney that
was defending Nicholson's character.

Ceinwen Jones

Apr 8, 1994, 12:27:59 PM4/8/94
Scott Baio was in
BUGSY MALONE with
Jodie Foster who was in
SOTL
Anthony Hopkins who was in
DRACULA with
Gary Oldham who was in
CRIMINAL EVIDENCE (or some such thriller) with
Kevin Bacon

easy-peasy!

Ceinwen

Boyd Nation

Apr 8, 1994, 12:47:34 PM4/8/94
In article <2o3vfb$d...@agate.berkeley.edu>,

Joseph Hernandez <jtc...@OCF.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:
>What is the Bacon number for
>Scott Baio who starred in the
>early '80's film 'Zapped'?

I can do it in two: Christopher Plummer in I Love N. Y. and Ordeal by
Innocence and Donald Sutherland in Ordeal and JFK.

Peter Merholz

Apr 8, 1994, 1:42:55 PM4/8/94
In article <2o3ckb$s...@bigfoot.wustl.edu>, bttr...@artsci.wustl.edu
(Benjamin Todd Tritle ) wrote:

> OK, here's a tough one (maybe)...
>
> Elizabeth Taylor (this one could be a little drawn out, by the way I tied
> it together).
>
> -Ben

Here goes

Elizabeth Taylor was in
WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF
with Donald Segal who was in
NO WAY TO TREAT A LADY
with Rod Scheider who was in
IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT
with Sindey Poitier who was in
SNEAKERS
with Robert Redford who was in
BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID
with Paul Newman who was in
THE HUDSUCKER PROXY
with Tim Robbins who was in
BULL DURHAM

with Kevin Costner who was in
JFK

with...

Kevin Bacon

>I'd *bet* there's a quicker path<

--Peter

Gregg Bo Duke Primm

Apr 8, 1994, 1:43:06 PM4/8/94
In <2o3vfb$d...@agate.berkeley.edu>, jtc...@OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Joseph Hernandez) writes:

>What is the Bacon number for
>Scott Baio who starred in the
>early '80's film 'Zapped'?

Scott Baio was on
HAPPY DAYS with
Henry Winkler who was in
NIGHT SHIFT with
Michael Keaton who was in
BATMAN with
Jack Nicholson who was in

A FEW GOOD MEN with
Kevin Bacon.

Bacon Factor=3.

-- Gregg

Moose bites can be nasty.
My opinions, not IBM's.

bl...@gpx01.d39.lilly.com

Apr 8, 1994, 1:48:13 PM4/8/94
In article <2o3vfb$d...@agate.berkeley.edu>, jtc...@OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Joseph Hernandez) writes:

> What is the Bacon number for
> Scott Baio who starred in the
> early '80's film 'Zapped'?
>
> Is there one?

Scott Baio
HAPPY DAYS (tv)
Henry Winkler
NIGHT SHIFT
Michael Keaton
BATMAN
Jack Nicholson

bl...@gpx01.d39.lilly.com

Apr 8, 1994, 1:50:14 PM4/8/94
In article <2o3v2a$6...@bigfoot.wustl.edu>, bttr...@artsci.wustl.edu (Benjamin Todd Tritle ) writes:

> BENJI - (I forget the name, but there is one)

Oh, Heavenly Dog (Detective Chase dies and is reincarnated as a dog to solve
the case. Ends up in love with a cat? Pretty risque' for a kid movie, don't
you think?)

Peter Merholz

Apr 8, 1994, 1:53:12 PM4/8/94
In article <Cnx23...@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>,

aw...@darwin.clas.Virginia.EDU (Alexander Wyeth Ruthven) wrote:

Charlie Chaplin was in
THE COUNTESS OF HONG KONG with Marlon Brando who was in
> THE GODFATHER with
Al Pacino who was in
GODFATHER, PART II with
Robert De Niro who was in
GOODFELLAS with

Joe Pesci who was in
JFK
with Kevin Bacon.

or

> Charlie Chaplin was in
> THE COUNTESS OF HONG KONG with
> Marlon Brando who was in
> THE GODFATHER with
> Al Pacino who was in

GLENGARRY GLENROSS with
Jack Lemmon who was in

> JFK
> with Kevin Bacon.

--Peter M.

Peter Merholz

Apr 8, 1994, 1:54:47 PM4/8/94
In article <2o2mvf$7...@cmcl2.NYU.EDU>, mqd...@ACFcluster.NYU.EDU (mike
d'angelo) wrote:

> In article <2o21qg$b...@bigfoot.wustl.edu>, d...@atlas.wustl.edu (Don Porter) writes:
> ><5...@ifi.unizh.ch> (Michel Hafner) writes:
> >> Anybody for Maria Falconetti??
> >
> >Maria Falconetti was in
> > THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC with
> >Michel Simon who was in
> > SCENT OF A WOMAN (1992) with
> >Chris O'Donnell who was in
> > THE THREE MUSKETEERS (1993) with
> >Oliver Platt who was in
> > FLATLINERS
> >with Kevin Bacon.
> >
> >OK, what's the Bacon number for Anna Paquin?

Or

Anna Paquin was in
THE PIANO with

Harvey Keitel who was in
THELMA AND LOUISE with
Susan Sarandon who was in
BULL DURHAM with
Kevin Costner who was in
JFK with

Kevin Bacon

--Peter

Peter Merholz

Apr 8, 1994, 1:58:13 PM4/8/94
In article <2o3gf9$9...@bigfoot.wustl.edu>, bttr...@artsci.wustl.edu

(Benjamin Todd Tritle ) wrote:

> WALTER MATTHAU - The Odd Couple
with
> JACK LEMMON - Glengarry Glen Ross

with
> AL PACINO - The Godfather P. II
with
> ROBERT DENIRO - Goodfellas
with
> JOE PESCI - J.F.K.

with
> KEVIN BACON

> -Ben Tritle

BETTER:

> WALTER MATTHAU - The Odd Couple
> with

> JACK LEMMON - J.F.K.

Peter Merholz

Apr 8, 1994, 2:01:07 PM4/8/94
(Joseph Hernandez) wrote:

> What is the Bacon number for
> Scott Baio who starred in the
> early '80's film 'Zapped'?
>
> Is there one?

Scott Baio was in ZAPPED
with Willie Aames who was in PARADISE
with Phoebe Cates who was in FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH
with Jennifer Jason Leigh was in THE BIG PICTURE
with...

KEVIN FUCKING BACON!

--Peter M.

Gregg William Riedel

Apr 8, 1994, 3:53:55 PM4/8/94

In article <2o3v2a$6...@bigfoot.wustl.edu>, bttr...@artsci.wustl.edu (Benjamin Todd Tritle ) writes:
|> Cal Lott (c...@gsbux1.uchicago.edu) wrote:
|>
|> : >Benjy.
|>
|> : Woof. That's a tough one.
|>
|> I proudly accept the challenge to come up with this one...
|>
|> BENJI - (I forget the name, but there is one)

Oh Heavenly Dog.

|> with
|> CHEVY CHASE - National Lampoon's Vacation
|>

|> I apologize for lack of movie title, but I'm dead certain about the movie with
|> Chevy Chase because the plot revolved around Chevy Chase as a detective who
|> either dies and is reincarnated, OR just plain turns into a dog (Benji). If
|> someone could help me out, I know the rest of it is correct.
|>
|> -Ben Tritle

Gregg
--
--------------------------------------- // --------------------------------
Gregg William Riedel // Amiga SUNY Binghamton - MS-CS

Paul Edward Freitag

Apr 8, 1994, 3:12:18 PM4/8/94
In article <2o1ct1$s...@bigfoot.wustl.edu> d...@atlas.wustl.edu (Don Porter) writes:

>Darn, only four degrees of separation. Somebody try Stockard Channing.

Stockard Channing was in
GREASE
with John Travolta, who was in
PERFECT
with Jamie Lee Curtis, who was in
QUEENS LOGIC
with Kevin Bacon.

Weird or what?

Paul Freitag

Abigail Marie Larsen

Apr 8, 1994, 4:22:17 PM4/8/94
I hate to break it to y'all
Kevin-Bacon-is-the-Center-of-the-Acting-Universe-ites. But, y'know, you
can do this with any actor. You could say Dan Akroyd was the center of the
Universe or Willem Dafoe and this would still work. A coupla friends and I
spent a whole evening picking two random actors/actresses and never once
failed to connect the two together. How about er play a new game and try
someone besides Kevin Bacon. Any challenges?

:)

Abby

mike d'angelo

Apr 8, 1994, 5:14:12 PM4/8/94

Well, not any actor. Ackroyd and Dafoe, sure. But I'd like to see someone
sustain a "Gong-Li-is-the-center-of-the-universe" thread (in fact I have yet to
see anyone take up my challenge to connect Gong Li to Kevin Bacon, but maybe
that article hasn't reached me yet).

I think most of the people responding to this are well aware that it would work
for most any actor, but Kevin Bacon was a fine choice.

I'd like to see anyone name ANY actor who's worked in English-language films
who has a Michael Caine number higher than 2.

Mike D'Angelo

Jeff Bowles

Apr 8, 1994, 5:15:22 PM4/8/94
Okay. What's the Kevin Bacon number for Katherine Hepburn?

Jeff Bowles

Joel Stave

Apr 8, 1994, 5:27:32 PM4/8/94
In article <2o3t43$d...@beta.pipeline.com>, cb...@pipeline.com writes:
|> Toshiro Mifune?
Was in "The Challange" with
Scott Glenn, who was in "Silverado" with

Kevin Costner who was in JFK with
Kevin Bacon

OK, who's gonna write the program that traverses the on-line movie
database and finds the shortest distance between two actors?

--
Joel Stave
st...@ch.hp.com

Cal Lott

Apr 8, 1994, 5:40:15 PM4/8/94
pet...@uclink2.berkeley.edu (Peter Merholz) writes:

>Anna Paquin was in
>THE PIANO with
>Harvey Keitel who was in
>THELMA AND LOUISE with
>Susan Sarandon who was in
>BULL DURHAM with
>Kevin Costner who was in
>JFK with
>Kevin Bacon

Or:

Anna Paquin was in
THE PIANO with
Harvey Keitel who was in

RESERVOIR DOGS with
Chris Penn who was in
FOOTLOOSE with
Kevin Bacon

That's one Bacon number better with FOOTLOOSE thrown in, to boot!

Somebody impress me and do James Dean.

Regards,

-Cal

P.S. Actually, I think that I can do Dean with a Bacon number of two.
Can anybody beat or tie that?
"From all us Slackers to all you Boomers ... HAHAHAHAHAHA! WE HAVE
SATELLITE MOUNTED RAIL-GUNS! HEH HEH. Who's laughing now?"-- S. Lang

scottw

Apr 8, 1994, 6:18:11 PM4/8/94