Disney goes DTS!

Eric Carter

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

Buena Vista has added DTS Digital to their supported audio release formats.
CON AIR is the first title to go out in that format.

-EC

--
Eric_...@compuserve.com
"All the releases all the time"

Scott Norwood

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

In article <01bc4419$cf6e1320$438a...@sirius.dti.net>,

Eric Carter <egca...@dti.net> wrote:
>Buena Vista has added DTS Digital to their supported audio release formats.
> CON AIR is the first title to go out in that format.

Woah! Big departure here! This is going to make things interesting for
Dolby, now that they've apparently lost their biggest exclusive set of
films.

What's the installation price difference between DTS and SR-D these days,
anyway? Last I heard, DTS was something like half of the cost of Dolby;
has this changed recently? Have the problems with disks not getting shipped
to DTS theaters been solved yet?

--
Scott Norwood: snor...@nyx.net, snor...@balloon.ml.org, sen...@mail.wm.edu
Lame Home Page #1: http://balloon.ml.org/ <-- School year only

ALMPRODS

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

Scott Norwood: snor...@nyx.net wrote:

Woah! Big departure here! This is going to make things interesting for
Dolby, now that they've apparently lost their biggest exclusive set of
films.

What's the installation price difference between DTS and SR-D these days,
anyway? Last I heard, DTS was something like half of the cost of Dolby;
has this changed recently? Have the problems with disks not getting
shipped
to DTS theaters been solved yet?

----------------------

Wow . . . this is a paradigm shift! We just installed DTS in our #6 house
for about $6200. I was considering Dolby SRD for #1 at about $8000, but
this could change my mind! The only problems I've had with the disks have
been idiot bookers forgetting I have DTS, and I just this week received my
first trailer disk for my third drive! :-)

Adam.

Peter Dougherty

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

almp...@aol.com (ALMPRODS) said :

Having used all 3 popular digital formats as a projectionist, I'll
toss my two cents into the fray. I personally prefer SR-D over DTS
simply on account of the PITA factor (Pain In The A**). I don't want
to *have to* worry about whether or not discs are available, or
shipped or *whatever!*.

I'm presently on assignment in an 8-plex run by Cineplex-Odeon (The
Woodbine Center in Etobicoke, ON). We have DTS equipment in cinemas 1,
5 & 7 at the moment, and no SR-D. In #1 we have Devil's Own. There is
a DTS timecode track on the film, but discs weren't available. Result?
No digital.

In number 5, we're running Liar Liar, in DTS. Unfortunately, some
trailers we were running on the head, which also had DTS timecode
printed on them, were not included on the Liar-Liar disc.
Consequently, we were running a different feature's disc for the
needed trailers, and then switching to the feature disc during a
non-digital trailer. In an 8-plex, this is not a viable solution.

It's also impossible to have house date strips run in DTS as it
presently stands (at least as far as I know). Maybe with the 3-disc
units it may be possible in future...

Compare this to SR-D. You splice your program together and run it.
Period. The End. House trailers? Sure! Why not!

I won't argue over the acoustical or technical merits of either
system, since I only run 'em; I don't install 'em or set 'em up
<grin>. If I were installing a digital system, however, and if the
difference was about $2,000 or $2,500 between DTS and SR-D, I would
certainly go for the SR-D. If I could afford both, then I'd get both.

I have nothing personal against DTS -- the films I've seen from the
auditorium in DTS sure sound fine. It's just simply a matter of
convenience, in this case, from the perspective of the projectionist.

Cheers,
Peter Dougherty
Projectionist & Sound Technician
Member IATSE Local 173

Scott Norwood

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

In article <5ih2rr$1...@dfw-ixnews4.ix.netcom.com>,
Dave Nott <dave...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>All of my DTS units ar the original 2-disc units. I simply cannot play
>trailers in digital unless their tracks are on the feature discs. I can't
>play trailers in SDDS, either; they simply have not been reliable enough to
>suit me. Only on an SR-D film can I have *EVERYTHING* play in digital.

Most trailers that I've seen in the last year or so are multi-format,
and have at least Dolby SR-D and one other type of digital track/code
on them...is there some technical reason why trailers can't be run in
SR-D, and the feature then run in DTS? (Assuming, of course, that the
theater in question is equipped for both formats.)

Dave Nott

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

In article <5ifhm1$5...@news.istar.ca>,
p...@istar.ca (Peter Dougherty) wrote

Essentially, I agree with you. Additionally, I'll happily accept either
DTS or SR-D over SDDS. SDDS can be an even bigger pain in the ass.

It is possible to have house trailers presented in DTS. Pop a DTS disc
into a CD-ROM drive sometime and take a look at the file names. Mann
theaters has two different trailers on disc A and Cinemark has one, too.
Of course, those chains are big users of DTS.

All of my DTS units ar the original 2-disc units. I simply cannot play
trailers in digital unless their tracks are on the feature discs. I can't
play trailers in SDDS, either; they simply have not been reliable enough to
suit me. Only on an SR-D film can I have *EVERYTHING* play in digital.

I'm one of those folks who will only stop griping about DTS when I see discs
accompany time code WITHOUT FAIL.

Peter Dougherty

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

Dave Nott <dave...@ix.netcom.com> said :

>Essentially, I agree with you. Additionally, I'll happily accept either
>DTS or SR-D over SDDS. SDDS can be an even bigger pain in the ass.
I've threaded-and-run SDDS in a 9-plex once, about ayear ago, but I
don't really remember much about it. It worked; everyone was happy.
SDDS is a non-starter in Canada. Cineplex-Odeon's being owned by
Universal menas DTS everywhere, and Famous Players (Viacom) is SR-D
everywhere, and now a number of DTS units as well. Those are the two
biggest exhibitors up here.

>It is possible to have house trailers presented in DTS. Pop a DTS disc
>into a CD-ROM drive sometime and take a look at the file names. Mann
>theaters has two different trailers on disc A and Cinemark has one, too.
>Of course, those chains are big users of DTS.

We don't get trailer discs up here yet. And most DTS units I've worked
with are 2-disc units as well (although the place I'm in now is
equipped with 3-disc units).

>Only on an SR-D film can I have *EVERYTHING* play in digital.
>
>I'm one of those folks who will only stop griping about DTS when I see discs
>accompany time code WITHOUT FAIL.

Bingo! I know DTS is likely here for the long haul, but I really wish
they'd just go away and quitely expire somewhere. Unmarried prints
didn't work before, and they don't work now. Sorry.

Dave Nott

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

In article <5ih99g$r...@news.istar.ca>,
p...@istar.ca (Peter Dougherty) wrote:

>>>It is possible to have house trailers presented in DTS. Pop a DTS disc
>>into a CD-ROM drive sometime and take a look at the file names. Mann
>>theaters has two different trailers on disc A and Cinemark has one, too.
>>Of course, those chains are big users of DTS.
>We don't get trailer discs up here yet. And most DTS units I've worked
>with are 2-disc units as well (although the place I'm in now is
>equipped with 3-disc units).

Actually, I was referring to the feature disc, not any trailer discs. I don't
get trailer discs.

Disc A of a DTS film will have files on it for: THX Broadway, THX Grand,
THX Simpsons, THX Tex, DTS "Stand-alone," Cinemark 1, Cinemark 2, and
Mann. It will also have files for any loose-in-the-can or attached
trailers, but not always.

Liar, Liar is a single disc movie, and all of the above were on the
feature disc, including files for the trailers "That Same Old Feeling"
and "McHale's Navy." We just got a new feature disc today that also
has the file for "The Lost World" (teaser. No. 3) on it."

Dave Nott

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

In article <5ih58c$3...@nyx10.cs.du.edu>,
snor...@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Scott Norwood) wrote:

>In article <5ih2rr$1...@dfw-ixnews4.ix.netcom.com>,
>Dave Nott <dave...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>>

>>All of my DTS units ar the original 2-disc units. I simply cannot play
>>trailers in digital unless their tracks are on the feature discs. I can't
>>play trailers in SDDS, either; they simply have not been reliable enough to

>>suit me. Only on an SR-D film can I have *EVERYTHING* play in digital.
>
>Most trailers that I've seen in the last year or so are multi-format,
>and have at least Dolby SR-D and one other type of digital track/code
>on them...is there some technical reason why trailers can't be run in
>SR-D, and the feature then run in DTS? (Assuming, of course, that the
>theater in question is equipped for both formats.)

It can't be done because the DTS unit and the DA-20 are both feeding into
the same 6 channel input terminals on the back of the CP-65. They can
interfere with each other of they are on at the same time. And since it
can take a DTS unit 1-2 minutes to boot up after you turn it on, there's
no way I can turn one unit off and another on at the appropriate time.
Not to mention the fact that the projectionist would have to be standing
there at precisely the same time, a logistical uncertainty in a multi-screen
theater.

Andrew Shepherd

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

Dave Nott wrote:

> Disc A of a DTS film will have files on it for: THX Broadway, THX
> Grand,
> THX Simpsons, THX Tex, DTS "Stand-alone," Cinemark 1, Cinemark 2, and
> Mann. It will also have files for any loose-in-the-can or attached
> trailers, but not always.

Or, if you're lucky enough to have a DTS Disc A from "Dragonheart" or
"Mission:Impossible," the trailer file will also include the audio data
for the little-seen and never officially issued DTS "Water Drop"
trailer, that was to be the successor to the "Flying Disc" trailer but
was scrapped because it was too similar to Ron Howard/Brian Grazer's
production company, Imagine, logo. The .txt file on the "Dragonheart"
disc A will not say that the "Water Drop" trailer is included on the.
But, I've seen and heard the trailer run in DTS off the "Dragonheart"
discs.

Andrew
Andrew Shepherd
mailto:cin...@falcon.cc.ukans.edu
Cinema Technology Experts Group
http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~cinema

Andrew Shepherd

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

Andrew Shepherd wrote:

> The .txt file on the "Dragonheart"
> disc A will not say that the "Water Drop" trailer is included on the.
> But, I've seen and heard the trailer run in DTS off the "Dragonheart"
> discs.

Whoops, I checked again and the trailer .txt file on the "Dragonheart" A
disc actually does declare that the 'dtswater' snipe is on the disc.

Bobby Henderson

Apr 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/11/97

Peter Dougherty wrote:

> It's also impossible to have house date strips run in DTS as it
> presently stands (at least as far as I know). Maybe with the 3-disc
> units it may be possible in future...

If you have a spare drive (like a one disc movie in a two CD system, or
a two disc movie in a DTS-6D unit) you can run house trailers off of
another disc. If the circuit has a clip with DTS time code, it can run
in the normal fashion. However, there is also a mode where the audio
can run without timecode.

The only issue here is that of most theater exhibitors not getting off
of their butts and doing something in DTS. Mann and Cinemark, however,
do have DTS recorded trailers right on the program disks. I'm somewhat
surprised Carmike and Cineplex Odeon do not. Other exhibitors could
strike their own disks, even burn in some CD-Rs. DTS does that for
small indie films.

I like DTS. Dolby Digital is a very good system as well, but it is
known for its failures at reel splices. Digital dropouts to SVA can be
very disruptive for audiences. You hardly ever hear that kind of thing
with DTS.

Camair1957

Apr 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/12/97

To the best of my knowledge DTS never released a Waterdrop trialer.

gmc...@idirect.com

Apr 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/12/97
Yes it can be done loop the srd through the DTS as if it was being installed
with a CP200 and then use a relay to control the digital comand on the cp65
Gordon McLeod

Kinepolis

Apr 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/12/97

p...@istar.ca (Peter Dougherty) wrote:

>>Essentially, I agree with you. Additionally, I'll happily accept either
>>DTS or SR-D over SDDS. SDDS can be an even bigger pain in the ass.
>I've threaded-and-run SDDS in a 9-plex once, about ayear ago, but I
>don't really remember much about it. It worked; everyone was happy.
>SDDS is a non-starter in Canada. Cineplex-Odeon's being owned by
>Universal menas DTS everywhere, and Famous Players (Viacom) is SR-D
>everywhere, and now a number of DTS units as well. Those are the two
>biggest exhibitors up here.

Does anyone has the numbers about how many
units have been installed worldwide ?

How many SR-D, SDDS or DTS ?
In units or in percents ?

And I mean real numbers, not anyone best guess.

Scott Norwood

Apr 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/12/97

In article <334ea1b4...@news-s01.ca.us.ibm.net>,

Kinepolis <Kine...@ibm.net> wrote:

> Does anyone has the numbers about how many
> units have been installed worldwide ?
>
> How many SR-D, SDDS or DTS ?
> In units or in percents ?
>
> And I mean real numbers, not anyone best guess.

Not sure how 'real' these numbers are, but according to the April
issue of Boxoffice, the DTS ad claims 8,707 installations worldwide.
The Dolby ad clamis 8,050 screens. Sony doesn't give numbers.

Maybe there are better figures out there, but these are the ones
that I've seen.

dsb (Daryl)

Apr 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/12/97

In article <334D94...@falcon.cc.ukans.edu>, Andrew Shepherd
<cin...@falcon.cc.ukans.edu> wrote:

>Andrew Shepherd wrote:
>>
>> The .txt file on the "Dragonheart"
>> disc A will not say that the "Water Drop" trailer is included on the.
>> But, I've seen and heard the trailer run in DTS off the "Dragonheart"
>> discs.
>
>Whoops, I checked again and the trailer .txt file on the "Dragonheart" A
>disc actually does declare that the 'dtswater' snipe is on the disc.

I was interested to see if the "Twister" discs I have had it too. They did.
I'm disappointed that we never got to see this trailer. Think there's a
chance that it may make an appearance on laser or DVD?

--dsb [:-)

Dirhl Dunnagan

Apr 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/13/97

I keep these figures up to date as I get them. You can find the
current ones at:

http://www.erols.com/dunnagan/genref.htm

and select "News", scroll down a few articles and there's the list.

Bobby Henderson

Apr 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/14/97

I got hit with "File 404, Not Found."

Anyway, the most recent number I heard was from a DTS press release at
their site. The article was reprinted from the Hollywood Reporter about
Dan Slusser's appointment as DTS' C.E.O., but at the bottom of the
release DTS claimed it passed the 9,000 screen mark and expects to have
more than 11,000 screens equipped by years' end. Dolby had 8,055
screens and Sony listed 3,659 installations.