GRANDEUR PROCESS - IN WHICH COUNTRIES WAS IT SHOWN?

grand...@hotmail.com

Jul 14, 2012, 10:26:10 PM7/14/12
Does anyone know which countries had grandeur films projected in that medium between 1929-1931?

Old Movie Fan

Jul 18, 2012, 5:08:19 PM7/18/12
Without a theatre capable of exhibiting the wider image with a special
projector, the Grandeur process was incompatible. As far as I know,
only FOX had the cameras needed to film in 70mm.

I'm no expert, but the 1930 film "The Big Trail" was_one of the
first_American made films and to my knowledge, it was only exhibited in
the U. S. and then only at the two theatres capable of showing it.

When "The Big Trail" was filmed, there was another standard 35mm camera
copy made of the John Wayne version as well as 35mm films in three or
four other languages with different casts. These were all filmed at the
same time and it must have been something to see the different casts
watching one another, waiting their turn.

In 1927, the first 70mm (widescreen) camera lens was used (briefly) in
France shortly after Abel Gance's "Napoleon" was exhibited in the
'tripych' (3 Camera) format (a precursor to widescreen). Production on
that film was halted by authorities and they were told they could not
use the 70mm lens. In the documentary "Cinema Europe" you can see
pieces of the film and hear about this.

mr_i...@hotmail.com

Jul 19, 2012, 6:55:19 AM7/19/12
David Coles researched this in 2001, see: http://www.in70mm.com/newsletter/2001/64/grandeur/index.htm

Thomas
in70mm.com

grand...@hotmail.com

Jul 19, 2012, 10:36:14 PM7/19/12
Obviously it is a well researched article. Some interesting notes that were omitted are: Betty Grable was in HAPPY DAYS .She was an unknown singer/dancer in the chorus. The widescreen print of SONG 0' MY HEART was apparently lost in a fire at Fox studios.THE BIG TRAIL was also advertised as being projected in GRANDEUR in Sydney and Melbourne in Australia back in 1931.The Sydney Plaza (later a Cinerama cinema) was especially built for Grandeur and Hoyts theatre directors in Sydney were extremely interested in the process at the time.Photos taken of the outside of the projection booth in 1930 show that there were also several large portholes for large format projection.There must be some photos in existance that also show the screen.At least all the surviving early wide screen films are available on dvd.

cinemad

Jul 20, 2012, 2:19:37 AM7/20/12
On Thursday, 19 July 2012 07:08:19 UTC+10, Old Movie Fan wrote:
> Without a theatre capable of exhibiting the wider image with a special
> projector, the Grandeur process was incompatible. As far as I know,
> only FOX had the cameras needed to film in 70mm.
>
> I'm no expert, but the 1930 film "The Big Trail" was_one of the
> first_American made films and to my knowledge, it was only exhibited in
> the U. S. and then only at the two theatres capable of showing it.

The Big Trail was advertised in The Sydney Morning Herald of 28 January 1931

AS SCREENED IN MARVELLOUS GRANDEUR FILM

Large ads also appeared in the Melbourne Herald on 30 March 1931 illustrating the Grandeur screen
and stating

" For the first time Grandeur Wide-vision film comes to Melbourne"

AS Peter Fraser stated, The Plaza Theatre Sydney was specifically built for
Grandeur. The theatre was built by Frank W Thring the managing Director of Hoyts Theatres in Australia who was a strong supporter of Grandeur.
Stanley S Crick, managing director of Fox Films in Australia was also a strong Grandeur Supporter.

Some people believe that this was all a con, and that Hoyts and Fox were deliberately hoodwinking the public and in fact it was 35mm film that was shown.
What evidence is there for this. NONE. Only speculation.

If a film is advertised in 70MM that is Prime facie evidence that the advertised film is in 70mm. If anybody wishes to refute that prime facie
assumption they should produce evidence not just speculation.
The Big trail was advertised as being screened in Grandeur in Sydney and Melbourne newspapers because it was shown in Grandeur in these cities,

Regards,
Peter mason

> When "The Big Trail" was filmed, there was another standard 35mm camera
> copy made of the John Wayne version as well as 35mm films in three or
> four other languages with different casts. These were all filmed at the
> same time and it must have been something to see the different casts
> watching one another, waiting their turn.
>
> In 1927, the first 70mm (widescreen) camera lens was used (briefly) in
> France shortly after Abel Gance's "Napoleon" was exhibited in the
> 'tripych' (3 Camera) format (a precursor to widescreen). Production on
> that film was halted by authorities and they were told they could not
> use the 70mm lens. In the documentary "Cinema Europe" you can see

grand...@hotmail.com

Jul 20, 2012, 11:39:25 PM7/20/12
On Sunday, 15 July 2012 12:26:10 UTC+10, grand...@HOTMAIL.COM wrote:
> Does anyone know which countries had grandeur films projected in that medium between 1929-1931?

Could it have been shown in Drandeurscope as mentioned elsewhere on rec.arts.

cinemad

Jul 21, 2012, 2:17:03 AM7/21/12

cinemad

Jul 21, 2012, 2:41:08 AM7/21/12
On Saturday, 21 July 2012 13:39:25 UTC+10, grand...@HOTMAIL.COM wrote:
> On Sunday, 15 July 2012 12:26:10 UTC+10, grand...@HOTMAIL.COM wrote:
> > Does anyone know which countries had grandeur films projected in that medium between 1929-1931?
>
> Could it have been shown in Drandeurscope as mentioned elsewhere on rec.arts.

It was advertised in the Sydney and Melbourne newspapers as being presented in GRANDEUR not Grandeurscope.

regards,
Peter Mason

cinemad

Jul 21, 2012, 2:28:59 AM7/21/12
On Saturday, 21 July 2012 13:39:25 UTC+10, grand...@HOTMAIL.COM wrote:
> On Sunday, 15 July 2012 12:26:10 UTC+10, grand...@HOTMAIL.COM wrote:
> > Does anyone know which countries had grandeur films projected in that medium between 1929-1931?
>
> Could it have been shown in Drandeurscope as mentioned elsewhere on rec.arts.

Grandeurscope was not a name that was around in the thirties. The scopes only commenced in the fifties. Most scopes are anamorphic processes.
Does anybody have any knowledge of such a process in the thirties, called by that name.

Regards,
Peter Mason

cinemad

Jul 21, 2012, 2:19:14 AM7/21/12
On Saturday, 21 July 2012 13:39:25 UTC+10, grand...@HOTMAIL.COM wrote:
> On Sunday, 15 July 2012 12:26:10 UTC+10, grand...@HOTMAIL.COM wrote:
> > Does anyone know which countries had grandeur films projected in that medium between 1929-1931?
>
> Could it have been shown in Drandeurscope as mentioned elsewhere on rec.arts.

You mean Grandeurscope? The Scopes only came in the fifties. There was

On Saturday, 21 July 2012 13:39:25 UTC+10, grand...@HOTMAIL.COM wrote:
> On Sunday, 15 July 2012 12:26:10 UTC+10, grand...@HOTMAIL.COM wrote:
> > Does anyone know which countries had grandeur films projected in that medium between 1929-1931?

grand...@hotmail.com

Jul 23, 2012, 12:53:50 AM7/23/12
If Fox did bring Grandeur to Australia then why did they not also bring FOX FOLLIES OF 1929 out in Grandeur? The Brisbane Regent had Australia's biggest screen but they only had the 35mm version.FOLLIES was their opening film.Sadly only a few minutes of this film have survived.

cinemad

Jul 23, 2012, 2:34:42 AM7/23/12
On Monday, 23 July 2012 14:53:50 UTC+10, grand...@HOTMAIL.COM wrote:
> If Fox did bring Grandeur to Australia then why did they not also bring FOX FOLLIES OF 1929 out in Grandeur? The Brisbane Regent had Australia's biggest screen but they only had the 35mm version.FOLLIES was their opening film.Sadly only a few minutes of this film have survived.

If Fox and Hoyts were as dishonest as some people state they were, why didn't they
advertise FOLLIES as being presnted in GRANDEUR as well? What does the ad in the Brisbane paper state? is there any mention of GRANDEUR?
Also Fox Follies commenceds in 1929 whereas the Big Trail was early 31.

Regards,
Peter Mason

cin...@hotmail.com

Dec 14, 2019, 7:41:09 PM12/14/19
On Sunday, 15 July 2012 12:26:10 UTC+10, grandeur70 wrote:
> Does anyone know which countries had grandeur films projected in that medium between 1929-1931?

The Big Trail(1930) was shown in GRANDEUR at the Sydney Plaza(later CINERAMA Theatre.) An advertisement from The Sydney Morning Herald for 28 January 1931
states in large capital letters:

SCREENED IN MARVELLOUS GRANDEUR FILM

There were similar ads in the Melbourne Herald in late March 1931.

35mm prints also played in other venues in Australia and
these were referred to and advertised as"GrandeurScope"

Regards,
Peter Mason

Mutley

Dec 19, 2019, 10:03:59 PM12/19/19