FS: Fisher-Price PXL-2000 Pixelvision Camcorder

BRgraphX

Oct 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/3/97

The legendary Fisher-Price PixelVision PXL 2000 kit:
PXL 2000 Camcorder (near mint condition)
Mini bipod stand
Video switch box
Video cable
1 PXL 2000 cassette tape
Instruction manual
+ PXL2000 soft compartment case
Asking $599 + UPS COD
or MAKE OFFER

Stefan Avalos

Oct 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/3/97

The New York street price for a fisher price pxl camcorder has been
around 500 bucks for the past few years.
If you find one at a flea market for $20.00, BUY IT!

The new tyco camera gives an image similar to the pxl2000, but doesn't
quite match it.

It sounds funny to talk about toys like this, but it's true.

znm...@aol.com (Znmdgr4) wrote:

>You must be shitting me- I see these at the flea market for $ 20 every few
> months

John W Bottoms

Oct 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/3/97

BRgraphX <brgr...@aol.com> wrote:
>The legendary Fisher-Price PixelVision PXL 2000 kit:
> PXL 2000 Camcorder (near mint condition)
> Mini bipod stand
> Video switch box
> Video cable
> 1 PXL 2000 cassette tape
> Instruction manual
> + PXL2000 soft compartment case
>Asking $599 + UPS COD
> or MAKE OFFER

Whoooopie! Yahoooooo! Wheeeeeeeee!

Joe Lenger

Oct 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/4/97

In article <19971003053...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, brgr...@aol.com
says...

>The legendary Fisher-Price PixelVision PXL 2000 kit:
> PXL 2000 Camcorder (near mint condition)
> Mini bipod stand
> Video switch box
> Video cable
> 1 PXL 2000 cassette tape
> Instruction manual
> + PXL2000 soft compartment case
>Asking $599 + UPS COD
> or MAKE OFFER

600 BUCKS!!!

BLOW ME SIDEWAYS DUDE!!!!

YOU LIVE NYC???

Dragon B

Oct 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/15/97

In article <343AC0...@thecia.net>, navi...@thecia.net wrote:

> BRgraphX wrote:
> >
> > The legendary Fisher-Price PixelVision PXL 2000 kit:
> > PXL 2000 Camcorder (near mint condition)
> > Mini bipod stand
> > Video switch box
> > Video cable
> > 1 PXL 2000 cassette tape
> > Instruction manual
> > + PXL2000 soft compartment case
> > Asking $599 + UPS COD
> > or MAKE OFFER
>

> Throw in a lens cap and I'll give you five grand.

Can someone please give a history on this camera- I just heard about this
PXL 2000 a video camera that records on a Audio Cassette like tape? Is
this true and what is the image quality like? Is it color or a b/w
recording unit? I just heard about this process from a friend who
suggested that I post what the format is. He claims that Video Camera
makers paid the inventor's off not to release this format since it was
cheaper then their video cameras at the time.

Any info is appreciated.

Peace,
Bren

*** WHEN REPLYING Back to me: Delete "NOsSPAM" out of my email address***

€ € € € € € € € € € € € € € € € € € € €
€ eerie b productions €
NosSPA...@channel1.com
www.channel1.com/users/eerieb
€ Graphic Design & Music Production €
€ Peace! €
€ € € € € € € € € € € € € € € € € € € €

Galaray

Oct 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/16/97

Dragon B <NOSPAM...@channel1.com> wrote in article
<NOSPAMeerieb-1...@remote184.channel1.com>...

> In article <343AC0...@thecia.net>, navi...@thecia.net wrote:
>
> > BRgraphX wrote:
> > >
> > > The legendary Fisher-Price PixelVision PXL 2000 kit:

<snip>

> > > Asking $599 + UPS COD
> > > or MAKE OFFER
>

> Can someone please give a history on this camera- I just heard about this
> PXL 2000 a video camera that records on a Audio Cassette like tape? Is
> this true and what is the image quality like? Is it color or a b/w
> recording unit?

It's true. It's black and white. The image quality is poor. The image
quality has been described as "dreamy." I guess that means that the image
quality justifies BrgraphX's asking price of $599 IN HIS DREAMS.

The sad thing is that eventually some poor schmuck will probably pay that
much for it.

> I just heard about this process from a friend who
> suggested that I post what the format is. He claims that Video Camera
> makers paid the inventor's off not to release this format since it was
> cheaper then their video cameras at the time.

While anything is possible, your friend's information is probably
inaccurate.

The PXL 2000 was designed as low-cost camera for youngsters. The inferior
image quality was deemed suitable for the target market: children, who
would get more enjoyment out of the fact that they had a working video
camera than out of the image. Somewhere there's a web page that claims the
original retail price was around $200, but I distinctly remember them
selling at Toys R Us for $99. Then $60. Then $20 in the bargain bin,
because nobody wanted them and they had been discontinued.

Why would video camera makers worry about competition from something that
looks like the surveillance tape at your neighborhood mini mart? (Actually,
the image quality at the mini mart is quite a bit better, but it seemed
like a good analogy...)

When you see these listings on the 'Net for The Legendary Fisher Price
Pixelvision camera for $200, $300 and $500, keep in mind that IT IS A TOY.
A CHILD'S PLAYTHING. Sure, they're neato, but contrary to what the photo
dealers on the 'Net want you to believe, you can still find these at flea
markets for under $100. The kids who had them originally have moved out of
Mom's house or gone off to college, and Mom and Dad are now selling them
off in yard sales along with the electronic Battleship game that's missing
a destroyer and a PT boat.

Now about those asking prices... I've seen it written that the going price
on the street in NY is $500, and this was used to justify a similar asking
price on the 'Net. Any reference to NY prices, for anything, is useless. I
lived in NY for the last 3 years, and in that time I saw $100 medical
cabinets sold on Houston street for $800 as "antiques," $7 window sashes
from New Jersey salvage yards sold in Greenwich Village for $70 as
"midwestern farmhouse windows," and I paid as much per month for my one
room apartment as I now pay for my house and 1/2 acre in Florida (and my
rent was considered cheap). You'd be amazed at what New Yorkers will try to
sell, and you'd be more amazed at what they'll buy. From the markup I saw
on other items in NY, if the going rate for a PXL 2000 in NYC is $500, it
must be worth about $50.

I actually saw one of these cameras in an East Village boutique (junk
store) priced at $500. Contrary to what people might tell you, it didn't
jump off the shelf. It actually sat there for a few months and was still
there when I left NY.

If you MUST have one, and you pay the outrageous asking prices on the
Internet rather than holding out for a reasonable deal, here's my
prediction: you'll play with it a little, show it to your friends, and put
it away in a closet. Or you might actually put it off in a corner of the
living room to show off to visitors that you have it. After you see how the
image actually looks, you'll try to convince yourself how fortunate you are
to have one of these "collector's items," but you'll subconsciously wonder
why you paid so much, and what more useful item you could have bought with
the money (maybe a Bolex... hell, I bought my *car* for $500, and I've
driven it back and forth from NY to Florida twice). The feeling you've been
duped will eat at you, and you'll eventually try to sell it on the 'Net by
convincing someone else that it's worth $599.

Galaray

Dragon B

Oct 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/16/97

In article <01bcd9ee$e05f0a20$795f...@fsu.edu.fsu.edu>, "Galaray"
<no.email...@for.spam.bots> wrote:

hell, I bought my *car* for $500, and I've
> driven it back and forth from NY to Florida twice). The feeling you've been
> duped will eat at you, and you'll eventually try to sell it on the 'Net by
> convincing someone else that it's worth $599.
>

> Galaray

Thanks for the info. I had no intention on purchasing this camera. I just
needed info on it. Tell me- Is the recording medium AUDIO CASSETTE? and
does the cassette fit in the camera itself and playback as well by
connecting it to a VCR or TV?

This isn't the toy camera that has been out for the past 2 christmas' that
was a black/White video camera, is it? From what I remember that
particular camera could only connect to a VCR via a wire- making it just a
shooting unit as the VCR does the recording. Am I wrong?

Thanks
bren

Galaray

Oct 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/16/97

Dragon B <NOSPAM...@channel1.com> wrote in article

<NOSPAMeerieb-1...@remote207.channel1.com>...

> Tell me- Is the recording medium AUDIO CASSETTE? and
> does the cassette fit in the camera itself and playback as well by
> connecting it to a VCR or TV?

Yes, it uses Type II (I believe) audio cassettes, and it is a one-piece
camcorder. It can be connected to a television for playback, or you can use
a little B/W monitor that Fisher Price constructed for use with these
cameras.

> This isn't the toy camera that has been out for the past 2 christmas'
that
> was a black/White video camera, is it? From what I remember that
> particular camera could only connect to a VCR via a wire- making it just
> shooting unit as the VCR does the recording. Am I wrong?

You are thinking of the Tyco toy video camera, which is an entirely
different animal from The Legendary PXL 2000, although it sells in the same
range as the original Pixelvision prices. You are correct that, unlike the
PXL 2000, this camera does not have its own recorder; you must connect it
to an external VTR to record. The image created by this camera is just a
low-quality black & white picture (the mini mart analogy in my previous
post actually applies here), and has none of the Pixelvision "qualities."
Thus, the camera is not only difficult to use but also not really even
interesting.

It surprises me that the Tyco camera actually sells. Toys like these are
usually designed to allow children to emulate their parents, but Junior
will have difficulty following his Hi-8 wielding dad around at the family
picnic if he has to lug along a portable VTR. That was the strength of the
PXL 2000: the brats could run around with it and actually *shoot* something
(even if it *did* look like crap), and parents could ooh and aah over
Junior trying to act so grown up. You'd think that Fisher Price would get a
clue and re-release it at a reasonable price.

Galaray

Note: Email address omitted to defeat spam bots. I am saddened by the
necessity of this action.