Marantz PMD620 firmware update

Scott

Mar 15, 2008, 11:04:40 PM3/15/08

Courtney Goodin

Mar 16, 2008, 12:39:56 AM3/16/08
Well they almost got it right.

Updated my PMD620 to version 2.03 Firmware. The WAV files are now RIFF
compliant. The file chunk size in the RIFF header is now correct (They used
to be 8 bytes to long) And they even are technically BWF files since they
added a bext chunk to the files. However they haven't quite gotten the hang
of how to store time code. It seems there are random numbers in the time
code "Samples since midnight" fields in the bext chunk. They come out at 1
Hour and some change that varies from take to take. Not in chronological
order though. The place for the file Time of Day is correct in the bext
chunk, but the Time Code area should also contain the same Time of Day code
from the real time clock (since there is no internal TC generator). There
is no other metadata. Missing are: UMID, the Roll number Frame Rate,
Recording History. Recorder type etc.

Needs more work..

----Courtney
"Scott" <sc...@farroutpro.com> wrote in message
> http://www.d-mpro.com/users/folder.asp?FolderID=4313

Andy Turrett

Mar 16, 2008, 5:11:52 AM3/16/08
Courtney are you responsible for the current update. If so thanks. I
just updated my 620 to the 2.03 firmware version.

Andy

Courtney Goodin

Mar 16, 2008, 10:07:01 AM3/16/08
I don't know if I am solely responsible. But I did warn them that they were
advertising that it recorded in Broadcast wav format and didn't have a bext
chunk. And I pointed out that the RIFF header wasn't compliant and could
cause problems.

However I need to speend some more time with 2.03. In my brief test it
created 1 corrupt file (no data segment). So It may have induced some bugs
as well.

Also the timecode stamp in the bext chunk should be calculated correctly to
reflect the start time of the file from the internal Real time clock.

---Courtney

"Andy Turrett" <atur...@aol.com> wrote in message

d rosen

Mar 16, 2008, 10:19:46 AM3/16/08

have any of you tried the remote for the 620?

dan.

Andy Turrett

Mar 16, 2008, 10:54:17 AM3/16/08
Courtney

Thanks for pursuing D&M. Please let us know if you find any other
bugs in the new firmware upgrade.

Thanks,
Andy

Courtney Goodin

Mar 16, 2008, 12:28:24 PM3/16/08
When I bought mine it was not yet out.. Is it shipping now?

----Courtney

"d rosen" <danie...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

d rosen

Mar 16, 2008, 1:08:36 PM3/16/08
On Mar 16, 4:28 pm, "Courtney Goodin" <cmgoo...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> When I bought mine it was not yet out.. Is it shipping now?
>
> ----Courtney
>
> "d rosen" <danielro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> > On Mar 16, 9:11 am, Andy Turrett <aturr...@aol.com> wrote:
> >> Courtney are you responsible for the current update. If so thanks. I
> >> just updated my 620 to the 2.03 firmware version.
>
> >> Andy
>
> > have any of you tried the remote for the 620?
>
> > dan.

don't know.
looks interesting as it has a peal led. i'm interested to know if how
it functions with the hold button on the recorder, ie. are the
recorder controls disabled?

(sorry for being off thread)

dan

Andy Turrett

Mar 16, 2008, 6:20:33 PM3/16/08
Courtney,

Do you remember the circumstance that created the corrupt file.

Andy

Courtney Goodin

Mar 16, 2008, 7:08:30 PM3/16/08
I was, just hitting record, talking for about 15 to 30 seconds, and
hitting stop.

One of the files right in the middle of the group had a fmt and bext chunk,
but no data chunk.

I did think I hit the stop key and the unit kept recording. Had to hit the
stop key a second or third time.

Courtney,

Do you remember the circumstance that created the corrupt file.

Andy

> However I need to speend some more time with 2.03. ?In my brief test it
> created 1 corrupt file (no data segment). ?So It may have induced some
> bugs
> as well.

cmassey

Mar 17, 2008, 11:20:18 AM3/17/08
Since the PMD620 does not have a TC generator, are we asking it to do
something it isn't design to do?

cleve

Courtney Goodin

Mar 18, 2008, 11:34:46 AM3/18/08

"cmassey" <cl...@dallassound.tv> wrote in message

> Since the PMD620 does not have a TC generator, are we asking it to do
> something it isn't design to do?
>
> cleve

No, It has an internal real time clock that keeps pretty good time and has
the date. It is designed to time stamp the files so they can be placed in
chronological order. It is also designed so people using the device for
broadcast (Radio or TV) or legal deposition recording can have time stamped
files that indicate the date and time the recordings were made. While it
is not SMPTE time code, and can't do frame rates like 29.97 or 23.98, it can
be pretty closely synchronized (less than a second error) to a Time code
clock running at an integer frame rate (like 25 fps or 30.00 fps or 24
ps ). So it could be useful for time coded transcription without having to
mess with SMPTE LTC time code feeding into an audio channel. In a pinch the
audio is good enough to replace your primary tracks should something
unfortunate happen to them.

They just need to get the time stamp right in the bext chunk and perhaps add
a time stamp to an ID3 V1.0 tag on the MP3 Files.

----Courtney

bent...@gmail.com

May 4, 2008, 2:19:28 AM5/4/08
>primary tracks should something
> unfortunate happen to them.
>
> They just need to get the time stamp right in the bext chunk and perhaps add
> a time stamp to an ID3 V1.0 tag on the MP3 Files.
>
> ----Courtney

I'm not so much worried about the TC or timestamping as much as the
distortion now with the new firmware when using ALC as the level. Does
noone else notice this. I was at a campfire sing-a-long, and it was
redding out and distorting while it recorded a near guitar. Had to
change to MANUAL and turn it down 15db. Shouldn't the ALC
automatically adjust the input. I know ALC worked perfect recording
the acoustic guitar with FW version 1.0, right outta the box.

Courtney Goodin

May 4, 2008, 12:59:21 PM5/4/08

<bent...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I don't use the ALC much in the PMD620 so I can't comment on any change in
the performance with the latest version.
Were you using the internal mic's or an external one? If so, were you
using line input or mic input?

I did notice that when using the Line Inputs and the latest firmware a2.03
The Small speaker is on during recording and can't be turned down or muted
with the volume control. The only way to mute it is to plug in something to
the headphone plug.

Perhaps you should check the settings for the Level Led. It can be varied
and perhaps it is set too high so your indication of level is not accurate
using the LED indicators. Don't know if these levels are somehow connected
to the ALC control but it could be part of the problem.

I talked to D&M at NAB and they said a new firmware was in Beta, and should
be out soon, but that was almost a month ago and still no signs of a new
release.
----Courtney

Andy Turrett

May 4, 2008, 1:16:01 PM5/4/08
Hi Courtney,

I am using the latest software but unlike you I am able to mute the
small speaker while recording. Even with nothing plugged into the
headphone jack. Hmmmm? Maybe you should try updating the firmware
again and see if that fixes it.

Andy

Andy Turrett

May 4, 2008, 1:39:00 PM5/4/08
Was the red overload LED blinking? If so did you adjust the Mic
attenuation, #10 in the Preset menu? Try changing it to -24dB.

Andy

Courtney Goodin

May 4, 2008, 4:07:51 PM5/4/08

> Hi Courtney,
>
> I am using the latest software but unlike you I am able to mute the
> small speaker while recording. Even with nothing plugged into the
> headphone jack. Hmmmm? Maybe you should try updating the firmware
> again and see if that fixes it.
>
> Andy

No It is a bug in a2.03 firmware that is confirmed by D&M. It only occurs
when recording from the Line Inputs with the input set to auto. (auto select
betrween Internal Mic and Line In jack on the side) Speaker will mute when
recording with the internal Microphones, but not when line input has a
signal plugged in.

--------Courtney

Andy Turrett

May 4, 2008, 7:07:37 PM5/4/08
Hi Courtney,

I looked into this a little more and what I have found is: If your
volume level is in mute mode before you go into record or record pause
then the speaker will be muted and then you can go up or down in
volume from there and back into mute if you want. But you have to
start recording while in mute mode. On the other hand if your speaker
volume is up at any level above mute before you go into record mode
then that is when you are not able to mute your speaker. Which is
what you described. Courtney try starting in mute mode before going
into record and see what that does. Also I found that when in mono
MP3 mode the recorder behaves normally. I think the reason I never
notice the problem is that I am usually starting in mute mode.

Courtney Goodin

May 4, 2008, 8:07:58 PM5/4/08
Thanks for the tip Andy. I'll try that. However is still should be fixed in
the next version of the firmware.

Hi Courtney,

I looked into this a little more and what I have found is: If your
volume level is in mute mode before you go into record or record pause
then the speaker will be muted and then you can go up or down in
volume from there and back into mute if you want. But you have to
start recording while in mute mode. On the other hand if your speaker
volume is up at any level above mute before you go into record mode
then that is when you are not able to mute your speaker. Which is
what you described. Courtney try starting in mute mode before going
into record and see what that does. Also I found that when in mono
MP3 mode the recorder behaves normally. I think the reason I never
notice the problem is that I am usually starting in mute mode.

Andy

> No It is a bug in a2.03 firmware that is confirmed by D&M. ?It only occurs

> when recording from the Line Inputs with the input set to auto. (auto
> select

> betrween Internal Mic and Line In jack on the side) ?Speaker will mute

Andy Turrett

May 4, 2008, 8:46:25 PM5/4/08
Courtney I appreciate that you have contacted D&M. Beside the Time
Stamp problem and the mute problem is there anything else that you
found problematic with the newest firmware?

Andy

Courtney Goodin

May 4, 2008, 10:56:27 PM5/4/08

"Andy Turrett" <atur...@aol.com> wrote in message

Other than filling in more of the required fields in the bext chunk, and
fixing the Time Stamp. The speaker bug was the only additional problem I
found.
I did make suggestions about time stamps on the MP3 files as an ID3 tag.
Don't know if they will take suggestions like that to heart though.
The RIFF file size in the header is now correct and they don't seem to have
a problem with Odd byte count files on Mono 24 bit Wavs.
---Courtney

Marc

May 5, 2008, 2:12:43 AM5/5/08
How happy are you all with this recorder and what made you stop on
this particular unit?

Courtney Goodin

May 5, 2008, 8:54:19 AM5/5/08

"Marc" <marcpa...@excite.com> wrote in message

> How happy are you all with this recorder and what made you stop on
> this particular unit?

I'm quite happy with the unit. The built in Mics sound pretty good and the
SD RAM is handy and the Metering and display are easy to read and use.
The unit sounds good and the Line- Inputs are pretty quiet. I chose it for
it's small size and use of normal AA batteries for power.

----Courtney

Andy Turrett

May 5, 2008, 9:41:33 PM5/5/08
I am also very happy with this recorder. I choose it first for it's
size and then for all the reasons Courtney wrote. I wanted something
that I could easily put in my run and gun bag that didn't take up much
room. I use it a lot for transcription but I occasionally mix at
music festivals doing sound reinforcement and I have gotten some
excellent sounding recording off the board.

Andy

bent

May 5, 2008, 11:34:52 PM5/5/08
On May 4, 10:59 am, "Courtney Goodin" <tech...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> > I'm not so much worried about the TC or timestamping as much as the
> > distortion now with the new firmware when using ALC as the level. Does
> > noone else notice this. I was at a campfire sing-a-long, and it was
> > redding out and distorting while it recorded a near guitar. Had to
> > change to MANUAL and turn it down 15db. Shouldn't the ALC
> > automatically adjust the input. I know ALC worked perfect recording
> > the acoustic guitar with FW version 1.0, right outta the box.
>
> I don't use the ALC  much in the PMD620 so I can't comment on any change in
> the performance with the latest version.
> Were you using the internal mic's or an external one?   If so, were you
> using line input or mic input?
>
> I did notice that when using the Line Inputs and the latest firmware a2.03
> The Small speaker is on during recording and can't be turned down or muted
> with the volume control.  The only way to mute it is to plug in something to
> the headphone plug.
>
> Perhaps you should check the settings for the Level Led.  It can be varied
> and perhaps it is set too high so your indication of level is not accurate
> using the LED indicators.  Don't know if these levels are somehow connected
> to the ALC control but it could be part of the problem.
>
> I talked to D&M at NAB and they said a new firmware  was in Beta, and should
> be out soon, but that was almost a month ago and still no signs of a new
> release.

> ----Courtney- Hide quoted text -

Hey there Courtney,

The red over LED was blinking during record, yes, in ALC mode. And
upon playing back that section, there was distortion present. This
behaviour did not happen on the original firmware that came with the
recorder (I'd love to be able to download version 1.0 and reinstall
it!). When adjusting the MIC attenuator, there's only 2 preset
options, -12db and -24db. -12 is not enough to prevent the red LED
from responding at loud passages, and -24 is too much,... -15db would
be perfect! Having said that, though...ALC should automatically adjust
the level to just under the red LED response and hold it there. I
would just like the option of being able to use ALC when I don't feel
like checking the level. For example, if I'm outside at night
recording nature sounds, I like to leave it in ALC so it can ride the
max level as needed. When I'm recording say a constantly loud source,
like a band for example, I can adjust the level using MANUAL and the
REC LEVEL on the right hand side. I just want the ALC to work like it
use

bent

May 5, 2008, 11:46:06 PM5/5/08
On May 4, 10:59 am, "Courtney Goodin" <tech...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> <bentmu...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> ----Courtney- Hide quoted text -

OK, tried responding once already...cat landed on keyboard, response
from computer...YOUR POST WAS SUCCESSFUL...however I don't see it
anywhere...so I guess I'll try again...

Red LED said distortion while recording. Listened back to playback.
There was distortion. Imagine that? Using ALC. Imagine that.

FIRMWARE 1.0's BEHAVIOUR:

ALC mode on, input level automatically adjusted to just below red LED
level, and as level varies, ALC varies input level to maintain a level
just below redding level.

FIRMWARE 2.03's BEHAVIOUR:

ALC mode on, input level allows a distorted recording, lighting up red
LED, and recording a distorted file, without automatically turning
down the input to just under red LED level.

Please make a change in the firmware to correct this anomally! Thanks!

bent

May 5, 2008, 11:48:41 PM5/5/08
> > the acoustic guitar with FW version 1.0, right outta the box.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, see above response. I want to be able to use ALC mode. MANUAL
mode is all right at a constant loud level like a band, where I can
setup my attenuation using the REC LEVEL on the right hand side...I
know how to do that. The ALC behaviour is not working correctly now
though, allowing distortion. Its function is to automatically
attenuate the incoming level to just under the red LED level...and in
the new firmware, it is not.

Andy Turrett

May 6, 2008, 6:20:45 AM5/6/08
Bent,

I would email or call D&M and let them know of the problem with the
ALC mode so maybe they can fix it before they release the next
firmware version. I have emailed them regarding the time stamp
problem and did get a pretty quick response.

Andy

> Hey there Courtney,
>
> The red over LED was blinking during record, yes, in ALC mode. And
> upon playing back that section, there was distortion present. This
> behaviour did not happen on the original firmware that came with the
> recorder (I'd love to be able to download version 1.0 and reinstall
> it!). When adjusting the MIC attenuator, there's only 2 preset
> options, -12db and -24db. -12 is not enough to prevent the red LED
> from responding at loud passages, and -24 is too much,... -15db would
> be perfect! Having said that, though...ALC should automatically adjust
> the level to just under the red LED response and hold it there. I
> would just like the option of being able to use ALC when I don't feel
> like checking the level. For example, if I'm outside at night
> recording nature sounds, I like to leave it in ALC so it can ride the
> max level as needed. When I'm recording say a constantly loud source,
> like a band for example, I can adjust the level using �MANUAL and the
> REC LEVEL on the right hand side. I just want the ALC to work like it

> use-

efksound

May 9, 2008, 1:36:26 PM5/9/08
Hi all

I also bought a PMD 620 a few weeks ago, updated to 2.03 firmware, but
after using in for a few weeks I returned it to the shop.
These are the problems I encountered, some I see are general or
firmware related others don’t know if they where only specific to my
unit.

Speaker mute problem when recording

ALC didn’t seem to work properly

Mechanical & Electronic click noise when changing recording levels

A bit higher noise floor using line in compared to a Zoom H2

When using line in and putting the machine into record/pause, the
recording meters are always showing activity between -60db and -50db
probably due to this higher self noise

The silence skip function only works with the -20db or -38db
settings, if I try to set it at -54db or -60db the recording never
pauses, because of this self noise using the line in.

When recording line in and having the internal mic setting set to 0,
and tapping a bit hard with your fingers in the internal mics shows
meter activity, so some signal bleeding from the internal mic goes in
the line in path, this problem disappears if you set the mic to -12 or
-24

If you select in the preset menu the option input jack: mono/stereo,
if you set it to mono and record with the internal microphones or line
in the recording is mono (2ch)but in the recording setup page/screen
the display still indicates INT MIC or LINE Stereo.

Eric

links...@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2018, 12:28:17 AM11/23/18
Le dimanche 16 mars 2008 04:04:40 UTC+1, Scott a écrit :
> http://www.d-mpro.com/users/folder.asp?FolderID=4313

anyone still have the file ?