Best and Worst Secret Identities.

MIKE FRANÇIS"

Mar 18, 2011, 1:59:47 AM3/18/11
when thinking about the news about The Cape I cant but help ask
Why cant we have a tv show that has costumed heros that is serious???
one that last more then ten episodes that is.
why dont we have a serious costumed superhero show?

(insert random 'why so serious' joke here. just to get it out of the
way)

Everyone seems to fall back on the 60s Batman series. which had full
costumes but was campy.
a lot dislike it for the campyness. however it was a product of it's
time. And personly I LIKE this show. but moving on...

There have been alot of superhero shows.
The Flash, Lois and Clark, Superboy, and so on.
but even these were not allways serious. some episodes may have been.
but there allways seemed to be an underlying tounge in cheeck nature, or
the show never took it self serious, or it was silly at times. what have
you.
it just seemed that the shows above wasnt taking itself serious because
it had fully costumed heros.

sure they were good shows, and I liked them. but I cant but help pick up
the underlying sillyness in the show.
like it cant but help being silly because it has a costumed charture.
I wonder why that is.

the stigma over costumed heros is certainly something that influenced
the 'no tights no flights' rule on Smallville.
a rule which has not pleased many a viewer.
and yet Absolute Justice, which had fully costumed chartures, was one
(if not THE) highest rated episode of the series
.
even Heros avoided costumes. so did the shortlived Birds of Prey series.
There was Huntress running around with no mask. sure there was an ep
with a costumed Batgirl but still. (and even that series had its
campyness).

it just all seems odd to me. especially as we have had, and will
continue to have big screen movies with fully costumed superheros.

true the X-men movies didnt do tights. but there were other movies,
Spiderman, Superman, Batman, DarDevil, etc.
There will be more superhero movies, Thor, Green Lanter, Xmen First
Class (which looks to have some costume elements), Avengers, and still
more movies to come.
for the most part these movies were serious and treated the material
with respect and did a good job.
the upcoming movies seem to be the same way.

(allthough Batman Forever, and Batman and Robin admitily didnt help
matters. showing that some still treated costumed heros as an iteam of
fun. however the Nolen films redeemed Batman).

We have many an animated show with superheros. most of them serious.
but it seems to me that thats the only way we can have fully costumed
heros on the tv.
cause its thought. well only kids would like a show with costumed heros.

however when we take a adult show. there is either a lack of costumes or
if there are costumes the show is a bit silly.

so why cant we have a tv series with costumed heros that is serious?

why is it that its precived that someone in costumed is silly. to have
him in a tv series would be silly and you cant do a serious show like
that? why do producers and others feel that way??

I think it could be done, and done well.
we have done it with movies. why not Tv???

to the upcoming WonderWoman series I say to you this.
1 the Orginal Wonderwoman was well remeambered by fans. best to respect
that. (off topic but you gotta say it)
2 have full costumes.
3 Dont be overtly silly. sure have some funny moments to make the
audiance laugh but dont be over the top sily.
you have a chance to show that we can have a srious tv show with
costumed heros. dont screw it up!

grinningdemon

Jan 16, 2011, 10:05:12 PM1/16/11
On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 19:16:25 -0600, "MIKE FRAN�IS"
<lefr...@mundivia.es> wrote:

>so recently I read the articale below about Secret Identities.
>they chose 8 best/worst secret identities.
>(mainly based on past movies).
>
>http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/collections/gallery/3176/best-and-worst-superhero-secret-identities?nc
>
>now for the most part I agree with what they say.
>
>HOWEVER!
>they list Clark Kent as one of the 'worst'
>and I totaly disagree with that.
>
>They focuse on the glasses and the hair.
>Alot of people seem to. however.its more then that. its his posture, how he carries himself, and so on. I mean look how
>Cristopher Reeve did it. he did both roles in a different way. I think the ultimate point is made in the Superman/Batman
>comic (turned into the Apocalypse dvd). Supergirl sees a statue of Superman. she says its no wonder the glasses work. people
>look up to Superman, no one expects him to be one of us.

I would agree with you except for one thing...he interacts with the
same people as both Clark and Superman...his secret ID would probably
fool the general public but, among other, anyone working that the
Daily Planet should easily see through this "disguise"...it just
couldn't believably fool anyone who knew him in both personas...but,
even setting that aside, it's hardly one of the best secret IDs...the
best ones would be the ones where their physical appearance changes
when they assume their heroic identities...characters like the
Spectre, for instance...or Captain Marvel.

>Now they are spot on with Bruce Wayne. but then the Wayne persona is a totaly different charture.
>he is a fop. buisnessman at times, but mostly a party boy.
>however, as most Batman fans know Batman is the real guy.
>
>I think the main porbleam with the article is that they are focusing only on looks.
>they are not taking various things into account.
>
>a secret identity works if the person acts differently the when he's in uniforme.
>Bruce Wayne, Clark Kent, Batman, Superman.
>these seem totaly different people at times.
>depending on how the writter portayes them of course.
>
>and again there is the factor of who is the real person.
>when Superman started Clark Kent was the disguse.
>modern portrayels, especisly John Bryne, changed that.
>
>here are soem of MY choices for best secret identitys are..(some not all based on comics ive read but cartoons ive seen and
>so on.
>1 Clark Kent
>2 Bruce Wayne.
>3 Peter Parker
>4 Bruce Banner
>5 Lucy Lane (who would have gussed she'd be Superwoman?)

Up until Bendis outed him, Matt Murdock would have to be pretty high
on my list because no one would reasonably suspect the blind guy.

>Worst.
>1 Dick Grayson (Robin and Richard in plain cloths act too much alike. the mask dosent hide much also)
>2 Selena Kyle (again she and Catwoman act the same that its a no brainer)
>3 Scott Summers (He dosent really even try to hide he's a superhero and this before hes 'outed')

The X-Men have never really bothered much with secret identities
(other than that brief period with the original X-Factor) so I'm not
sure this should count.

>4 Black Widow (she dosent even bother to wear a costume.)
>5 Tony Stark (if Tony could have kept his mouth shut maybe it would have worked)

Tony Stark should be #1 on this list...the guy can't seem to go a year
without publicly announcing his identity.

>Whats your opinon of Secret Identities?
>
>check out the article. do u agree or disagree with their choices?
>
>what do you think are the best worst S.I's??

Michael

Jan 16, 2011, 10:16:36 PM1/16/11
MIKE FRANÇIS wrote:
> so recently I read the articale below about Secret Identities.
> they chose 8 best/worst secret identities.
> (mainly based on past movies).
>
> http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/collections/gallery/3176/best-and-worst-superhero-secret-identities?nc
>
> now for the most part I agree with what they say.
>
> HOWEVER!
> they list Clark Kent as one of the 'worst'
> and I totaly disagree with that.
>
> They focuse on the glasses and the hair.
> Alot of people seem to. however.its more then that. its his posture, how he carries himself, and so on. I mean look how
> Cristopher Reeve did it. he did both roles in a different way. I think the ultimate point is made in the Superman/Batman
> comic (turned into the Apocalypse dvd). Supergirl sees a statue of Superman. she says its no wonder the glasses work. people
> look up to Superman, no one expects him to be one of us.
>
> Now they are spot on with Bruce Wayne. but then the Wayne persona is a totaly different charture.
> he is a fop. buisnessman at times, but mostly a party boy.
> however, as most Batman fans know Batman is the real guy.
>
> I think the main porbleam with the article is that they are focusing only on looks.
> they are not taking various things into account.
>
> a secret identity works if the person acts differently the when he's in uniforme.
> Bruce Wayne, Clark Kent, Batman, Superman.
> these seem totaly different people at times.
> depending on how the writter portayes them of course.
>
> and again there is the factor of who is the real person.
> when Superman started Clark Kent was the disguse.
> modern portrayels, especisly John Bryne, changed that.

While I appreciated Superman in the Silver Age when Superman was the
real person and Clark was the "put on", I do like nowadays how Clark is
the real person and Superman is a disguise he uses to be able to use his
abilities to help people. And I like how we have Lois and Clark as a
couple with Lois know the secret and she helps Clark out.

> here are soem of MY choices for best secret identitys are..(some not all based on comics ive read but cartoons ive seen and
> so on.
> 1 Clark Kent
> 2 Bruce Wayne.
> 3 Peter Parker
> 4 Bruce Banner
> 5 Lucy Lane (who would have gussed she'd be Superwoman?)
>

> Worst.
> 1 Dick Grayson (Robin and Richard in plain cloths act too much alike. the mask dosent hide much also)
> 2 Selena Kyle (again she and Catwoman act the same that its a no brainer)
> 3 Scott Summers (He dosent really even try to hide he's a superhero and this before hes 'outed')

You could put most X-Men here.

> 4 Black Widow (she dosent even bother to wear a costume.)

She wears a costume of sorts. Just no mask.

> 5 Tony Stark (if Tony could have kept his mouth shut maybe it would have worked)
>

> Whats your opinon of Secret Identities?
>
> check out the article. do u agree or disagree with their choices?
>
> what do you think are the best worst S.I's??

Michael

Lilith

Jan 17, 2011, 2:37:09 AM1/17/11
<lefr...@mundivia.es> wrote:

>here are soem of MY choices for best secret identitys are..(some not all based on comics ive read but cartoons ive seen and
>so on.
>1 Clark Kent
>2 Bruce Wayne.

Now revealed as the financial power behind Batman.

>3 Peter Parker

Well, Peter has a magical protection on his identity now, though it
seems that the writers are beginning to forget that fact.

>4 Bruce Banner

I thought Banner's identity was publicly known. But then I haven't
read any Hulk stories since they introduced the Red Hulk.

>5 Lucy Lane (who would have gussed she'd be Superwoman?)

I don't think that anyone but a few people in the DCU are even aware
Superwoman ever existed. All of her appearances were against the
heroes during the New Krypton arc and not as a public figure. You're
looking at it from the viewpoint of a reader (for the purposes of
putting her in this list) and the writers were deliberately keeping
the readers in the dark. The DCU public never had a chance to get to
know Superwoman. In the context of the article you pointed out, it
would be the DCU's POV that counts.

>Worst.
>1 Dick Grayson (Robin and Richard in plain cloths act too much alike. the mask dosent hide much also)

Well, certainly in the old TV series. :-)

>2 Selena Kyle (again she and Catwoman act the same that its a no brainer)

As a criminal I don't think that Catwoman actually has any identity
that you could call "secret." If she's ever been arrested she's got a
public record. There may be a few super criminals who try to maintain
a civilian life but I don't

>3 Scott Summers (He dosent really even try to hide he's a superhero and this before hes 'outed')

The X-Men in general haven't bothered to even have civilian identities
since the first series. Their entire existence revolves around being
mutants.

>4 Black Widow (she dosent even bother to wear a costume.)

I don't think she's ever tried to keep it secret. It seems that most
(but not all) characters in the MU don't do much to maintain a
civilian life let alone an identity. That seems to be becoming
somewhat more true in the DCU but not quite to the same extent. When
was the last time that Kyle Rayner actually considered being an artist
again.

>5 Tony Stark (if Tony could have kept his mouth shut maybe it would have worked)

Pretty much the same as most MU characters. He doesn't even try very
much.

--
Lilith

Steven L.

Jan 17, 2011, 9:16:29 AM1/17/11

"MIKE FRANÇIS" <lefr...@mundivia.es> wrote in message

> so recently I read the articale below about Secret Identities.
> they chose 8 best/worst secret identities.
> (mainly based on past movies).
>
> http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/collections/gallery/3176/best-and-worst-superhero-secret-identities?nc
>
> now for the most part I agree with what they say.
>
> HOWEVER!
> they list Clark Kent as one of the 'worst'
> and I totaly disagree with that.
>
> They focuse on the glasses and the hair.
> Alot of people seem to. however.its more then that. its his posture, how he carries himself, and so on. I mean look how
> Cristopher Reeve did it. he did both roles in a different way. I think the ultimate point is made in the Superman/Batman
> comic (turned into the Apocalypse dvd). Supergirl sees a statue of Superman. she says its no wonder the glasses work. people
> look up to Superman, no one expects him to be one of us.
>
> Now they are spot on with Bruce Wayne. but then the Wayne persona is a totaly different charture.
> he is a fop. buisnessman at times, but mostly a party boy.
> however, as most Batman fans know Batman is the real guy.
>
> I think the main porbleam with the article is that they are focusing only on looks.
> they are not taking various things into account.
>
> a secret identity works if the person acts differently the when he's in uniforme.
> Bruce Wayne, Clark Kent, Batman, Superman.
> these seem totaly different people at times.
> depending on how the writter portayes them of course.
>
> and again there is the factor of who is the real person.

I believe that is the key element. When a superhero has a secret
identity, which is the "real" personality and which is the persona?

I think Bruce Wayne is the best secret identity because that is the
persona of the man, not the superhero. The "real" guy is Batman, the
vigilante driven and haunted by the memories of the murders of his
parents while he was a young child. As Bruce Wayne, he never gives the
impression that his childhood bothered him that much--but it really
does.

The Batman movie with Michael Keaton really illustrated this. Wayne was
uncomfortable around people, his mansion is all just for him and his
butler Alfred. And he decorated his mansion with ancient weapons, tools
of death rather than life. Even when he slept with Vicky Vale, his
heart wasn't in it and he jumped out of bed to do some exercises to keep
in shape. He clearly longs to be Batman, not Wayne.

Whereas Superman's childhood heritage, both on Krypton and as with his
foster parents the Kents, was much more positive and inspired him to don
the Superman uniform.

-- Steven L.

-- Steven L.

Anim8rFSK

Jan 17, 2011, 10:23:05 AM1/17/11
In article <96r7j6909mg50sjbh...@4ax.com>,
Lilith <lili...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >2 Selena Kyle (again she and Catwoman act the same that its a no brainer)
>
> As a criminal I don't think that Catwoman actually has any identity
> that you could call "secret." If she's ever been arrested she's got a
> public record. There may be a few super criminals who try to maintain
> a civilian life but I don't

I think the point of Catwoman wearing gloves and a mask is, she can't be
identified by prints or photos; even if you can prove Catwoman robbed
your store, you can't prove it was Selina Kyle. Might just as well have
been Halle Berry.

--
"Please, I can't die, I've never kissed an Asian woman!"
Shego on "Shat My Dad Says"

Ubiquitous

Jan 17, 2011, 10:36:53 AM1/17/11
ANIM...@cox.net wrote:
> Lilith <lili...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >2 Selena Kyle (again she and Catwoman act the same that its a no
brainer)

>> As a criminal I don't think that Catwoman actually has any identity
>> that you could call "secret." If she's ever been arrested she's got
>> a public record. There may be a few super criminals who try to
>> maintain a civilian life but I don't
>
>I think the point of Catwoman wearing gloves and a mask is, she can't
>be identified by prints or photos; even if you can prove Catwoman
>robbed your store, you can't prove it was Selina Kyle. Might just as
>well have been Halle Berry.

Could they use that as an excuse to arrest her for being in that bad
movie?

--
It is simply breathtaking to watch the glee and abandon with which
the liberal media and the Angry Left have been attempting to turn

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Jan 17, 2011, 12:49:26 PM1/17/11
In article <ANIM8Rfsk-F9B8B...@news.dc1.easynews.com>,

Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote:
>In article <96r7j6909mg50sjbh...@4ax.com>,
> Lilith <lili...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> >2 Selena Kyle (again she and Catwoman act the same that its a no brainer)
>>
>> As a criminal I don't think that Catwoman actually has any identity
>> that you could call "secret." If she's ever been arrested she's got a
>> public record. There may be a few super criminals who try to maintain
>> a civilian life but I don't
>
>I think the point of Catwoman wearing gloves and a mask is, she can't be
>identified by prints or photos; even if you can prove Catwoman robbed
>your store, you can't prove it was Selina Kyle. Might just as well have
>been Halle Berry.

So that would be a Copycatwoman crime..
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Bill Steele

Jan 17, 2011, 4:42:01 PM1/17/11
In article <ivb7j614dc26rlsol...@4ax.com>,
grinningdemon <grinni...@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> I would agree with you except for one thing...he interacts with the
> same people as both Clark and Superman...his secret ID would probably
> fool the general public but, among other, anyone working that the
> Daily Planet should easily see through this "disguise"...it just
> couldn't believably fool anyone who knew him in both personas...but,
> even setting that aside, it's hardly one of the best secret IDs...the
> best ones would be the ones where their physical appearance changes
> when they assume their heroic identities...characters like the
> Spectre, for instance...or Captain Marvel.

The Superman radio show acknowledged the recognition problem,andhad
Superman avoiding contact with the Daily Planet people. I still remember
one instance where he rescued Lois from something and said "Good thing
it's dark in here."

I'll put in a vote for The Shadow. In either incarnation. When he was
invisible, no problem keeping his identity secret. In the pulps people
got to see him a lot as a guy in a black hat and cape, usually shooting
at somebody, but in each of his other identities he had a different
face. Once he got back from WWI he was *always* in disguise.

Jason Todd

Jan 18, 2011, 12:24:12 PM1/18/11
On Jan 17, 12:49 pm, t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>)
wrote:
> In article <ANIM8Rfsk-F9B8BC.08230517012...@news.dc1.easynews.com>,
>

> Anim8rFSK  <ANIM8R...@cox.net> wrote:

> >> As a criminal I don't think that Catwoman actually has any identity
> >> that you could call "secret."  If she's ever been arrested she's got a
> >> public record.  There may be a few super criminals who try to maintain
> >> a civilian life but I don't
>
> >I think the point of Catwoman wearing gloves and a mask is, she can't be
> >identified by prints or photos; even if you can prove Catwoman robbed
> >your store, you can't prove it was Selina Kyle.  Might just as well have
> >been Halle Berry.
>
> So that would be a Copycatwoman crime..
> --
> ------
> columbiaclosings.com
> What's not in Columbia anymore..- Hide quoted text -

OUCH

Jason

JohnBL

Jan 18, 2011, 1:18:49 PM1/18/11
On Jan 17, 8:16 am, "Steven L." <sdlit...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Whereas Superman's childhood heritage, both on Krypton and as with his
> foster parents the Kents, was much more positive and inspired him to don
> the Superman uniform.
>
> -- Steven L.

The emphasis switches depending on the interpretation. In just about
any television incarnation of the Man of Steel (Adventures of
Superman, Lois & Clark, Smallville), the emphasis is on Clark Kent, as
if he were the "real" character, with Superman being the identity he
assumed in times of need. In the films (the Reeve series and Superman
Returns), he's Kal-El all the way, and obviously (from the audience's
p.o.v.) acting when he's Clark Kent.

Probably because the lower production values of television shift the
emphasis to the identity that requires fewer special effects.

John L

Flasherly

Jan 18, 2011, 4:14:14 PM1/18/11
On Jan 16, 8:16 pm, "MIKE FRANÇIS" <lefru...@mundivia.es> wrote:
> so recently I read the articale below about Secret Identities.
> they chose 8 best/worst secret identities.
> (mainly based on past movies).
>
> http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/collections/gallery/3176/best-and-wors...

> now for the most part I agree with what they say.
>
> HOWEVER!
> they list Clark Kent as one of the 'worst'
> and I totaly disagree with that.
>
> They focuse on the glasses and the hair.
> Alot of people seem to. however.its more then that. its his posture, how he carries himself, and so on. I mean look how
> Cristopher Reeve did it. he did both roles in a different way. I think the ultimate point is made in the Superman/Batman
> comic (turned into the Apocalypse dvd). Supergirl sees a statue of Superman. she says its no wonder the glasses work. people
> look up to Superman, no one expects him to be one of us.
>
> Now they are spot on with Bruce Wayne. but then the Wayne persona is a totaly different charture.
> he is a fop. buisnessman at times, but mostly a party boy.
> however, as most Batman fans know Batman is the real guy.
>
> I think the main porbleam with the article is that they are focusing only on looks.
> they are not taking various things into account.
>
> a secret identity works if the person acts differently the when he's in uniforme.
> Bruce Wayne, Clark Kent, Batman, Superman.
> these seem totaly different people at times.
> depending on how the writter portayes them of course.
>
> and again there is the factor of who is the real person.
> when Superman started Clark Kent was the disguse.
> modern portrayels, especisly John Bryne, changed that.
>
> here are soem of MY choices for best secret identitys are..(some not all based on comics ive read but cartoons ive seen and
> so on.
> 1 Clark Kent
> 2 Bruce Wayne.
> 3 Peter Parker
> 4 Bruce Banner
> 5 Lucy Lane (who would have gussed she'd be Superwoman?)
>
> Worst.
> 1 Dick Grayson (Robin and Richard in plain cloths act too much alike. the mask dosent hide much also)
> 2 Selena Kyle (again she and Catwoman act the same that its a no brainer)
> 3 Scott Summers (He dosent really even try to hide he's a superhero and this before hes 'outed')
> 4 Black Widow (she dosent even bother to wear a costume.)
> 5 Tony Stark (if Tony could have kept his mouth shut maybe it would have worked)
>
> Whats your opinon of Secret Identities?
>
> check out the article. do u agree or disagree with their choices?
>
> what do you think are the best worst S.I's??

I don't know most of the banner names mentioned, but the Defendor,
played but a somewhat stymied Woody Harrelson, would seem plainly
intent at circumventing a disarray of associative psychobabble, red-
taped and hardwired into compromising contrivances, for otherwise
figuring what hinders upstanding social conventions typically from
being recognized by the truer sense of desirous application,
transfered by worth to the comicbook attendee, so rationally to
function avowedly as purported;- a degree the Defendor's perseverance,
commiserate with beatings about and upon the head, no doubt
conditionally lifelong, best is illustrative, long last, to his crack-
work girl friend's fatigue, tried to a temper and superceded
rapturously by his unswerving devotion to righteously just might.

Bill Steele

Jan 19, 2011, 2:26:37 PM1/19/11
In article
<bd772ffa-7f17-4002...@p7g2000prb.googlegroups.com>,
JohnBL <Car...@aol.com> wrote:

It's also because, unless you want to trot out kryptonite in every
episode, once Superman shows up it's all over. So the plot often hinges
on how Clark is going to find out that Lois or Jimmy is in trouble, and
maybe various factors preventing him from running off and dealing with
it. And the writers use this to build suspense. In old westerns, the
posse never shows up until the last minute.

Robert Carnegie

Jan 21, 2011, 7:15:55 AM1/21/11
On Jan 17, 7:37 am, Lilith <lilith...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 19:16:25 -0600, "MIKE FRAN IS"
> <lefru...@mundivia.es> wrote:
> >2 Selena Kyle (again she and Catwoman act the same that its a no brainer)
>
> As a criminal I don't think that Catwoman actually has any identity
> that you could call "secret."  If she's ever been arrested she's got a
> public record.  There may be a few super criminals who try to maintain
> a civilian life but I don't

Why don't you, would you not like to go out for dinner some time
without being hassled by WWE types or heavily armoured police

(To be clear, I am not making a pass at you right now... not yet)

> >3 Scott Summers (He dosent really even try to hide he's a superhero and this before hes 'outed')
>
> The X-Men in general haven't bothered to even have civilian identities
> since the first series.  Their entire existence revolves around being
> mutants.

There are civilian mutants (in the comics, maybe in real life). And
for a while, the original X-Men were X-Factor, if you had mutants
around then you could phone this organisation and they would come
round to get rid of them, if a gang of evil mutants called the X-
Terminators didn't get there first and recruit them. The X-
Terminators were in fact the original X-Men again in another different
costume design.

Jason Todd

Jan 21, 2011, 11:46:07 AM1/21/11
> 2 Selena Kyle (again she and Catwoman act the same that its a no brainer)
> 3 Scott Summers (He dosent really even try to hide he's a superhero and this before hes 'outed')
> 4 Black Widow (she dosent even bother to wear a costume.)
> 5 Tony Stark (if Tony could have kept his mouth shut maybe it would have worked)
>
> Whats your opinon of Secret Identities?
>
> check out the article. do u agree or disagree with their choices?
>
> what do you think are the best worst S.I's??

I think one thing this list demonstrates is really how outmoded /
devalued the concept of a "secret identity" is in the comics world
especially in Marvel 616

The X-Men, The FF, Iron Man, Hulk, most of the avengers old or new
(Hawkeye, Ant-Man, Wasp, Wanda, Quicksilver, Beast, Wonder Man, Luke
Cage, etc) all are generally known to the public at-large. Dr Strange
-- well, people know of him, last I knew the mainstream public saw him
as just some kooky Village psychic.

I am not sure about Red Hulk, Daredevil and Iron Fist

When you get down to it, Thor, Spider Man, and Moon Knight are really
almost the only two heroes who really have secret I.D.'s anymore.

On the DC side, yeah Superman's secret ID is one big joke, but it's
perpetuated by the fact that he can switch back and forth in 2 seconds
so people have seen him leave and Clark arrive almost instantly. Plus
I also believe J'on Jonzz has impersonated Clark/Superman once or
twice so they have "appeared together at the same time"

Nightwing, Hal Jordan and Green Arrow have masks that are pretty
worthless. I remember in GA's book how the young girl he took on as an
apprentice knew who he was right away. With his unique facial hair
it's impossible not to know who he is.

Wally West of course revealed his identity to the public, even though
he didn't need to, a la Tony Stark, although it's now secret again.

Batman....er, ah....

On the one hand he's got a unique cover in that he's a billionaire
playboy and no one would ever suspect the two were the same. And the
costume makes him bigger and taller than Wayne is.

But then again, there have been times that make you go hmmm... Take
for example the existence of Robin, who becomes Batman's partner at
around the same time Bruce Wayne takes a ward into his home...

And what about Tim Drake, Hugo Strange, Ra's A Ghul, Bane, and others
who, by doing a little legwork, were able to find him out?

Plastic Man, Vixen, Donna Troy, Zatanna...I have no idea.

Oracle, of all people, may well have the best secret identity.

Jason

Pat O'Neill

Jan 21, 2011, 12:26:36 PM1/21/11

I think the loss of secret identities is one of the worst things to
happen in superhero comics. The way it is now most heroes are "on" all
the time...there is no longer anything like them interacting with
"real people"--all their friends, all their associates, all their
conversations are with people in the "superhero circle". It's as if
cops only associated with other cops, or actors with other actors--all
they have anymore is "shop talk".

Howard Brazee

Jan 21, 2011, 3:08:35 PM1/21/11
On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 08:46:07 -0800 (PST), Jason Todd
<janklo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On the one hand he's got a unique cover in that he's a billionaire
>playboy and no one would ever suspect the two were the same. And the
>costume makes him bigger and taller than Wayne is.
>
>But then again, there have been times that make you go hmmm... Take
>for example the existence of Robin, who becomes Batman's partner at
>around the same time Bruce Wayne takes a ward into his home...

Also - Batman is either a billionaire or he works for the feds. If
they don't suspect the latter, then he's easy to find.

- James Madison

Anim8rFSK

Jan 21, 2011, 4:39:29 PM1/21/11
In article
<ba607f85-fe0c-4cfd...@w2g2000vbp.googlegroups.com>,
Jason Todd <janklo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On the DC side, yeah Superman's secret ID is one big joke, but it's
> perpetuated by the fact that he can switch back and forth in 2 seconds
> so people have seen him leave and Clark arrive almost instantly. Plus
> I also believe J'on Jonzz has impersonated Clark/Superman once or
> twice so they have "appeared together at the same time"

Everybody from MM to Batman to Matrix Supergirl to robots to Kandorian
lookalikes to JFK has impersonated Clark and/or Superman at one time or
another to help keep the secret.

Scott Eiler

Jan 21, 2011, 8:54:27 PM1/21/11
Howard Brazee wrote:

> Also - Batman is either a billionaire or he works for the feds. If
> they don't suspect the latter, then he's easy to find.

On the one hand, with all the weaponry that leaks out of Wayne Enterprises, I
*would* expect a lot of reporter exposes and government audits there.

On the other hand, Osama bin Laden is either a multimillionaire or he works for
the Pakistani Government. How easy is *he* to find?

--
(signed) Scott Eiler 8{D> -------- http://www.eilertech.com/ ---------

"Egyptians were all about having the maximum amount of glittery
goodness, especially when it came to death."

Read more:
http://www.cracked.com/article_18627_6-things-from-history-everyone-pictures-incorrectly.html#ixzz12MeO8fK4

Howard Brazee

Jan 21, 2011, 9:22:33 PM1/21/11
On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 17:54:27 -0800, Scott Eiler <sei...@eilertech.com>
wrote:

>> Also - Batman is either a billionaire or he works for the feds. If
>> they don't suspect the latter, then he's easy to find.
>
>On the one hand, with all the weaponry that leaks out of Wayne Enterprises, I
>*would* expect a lot of reporter exposes and government audits there.
>
>On the other hand, Osama bin Laden is either a multimillionaire or he works for
>the Pakistani Government. How easy is *he* to find?

Bruce Wayne comes out of his caves - and gets lots of publicity for
what he's doing.

Rob Cypher

May 12, 2011, 5:57:52 AM5/12/11
On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 17:54:27 -0800, Scott Eiler <sei...@eilertech.com> wrote:

>Howard Brazee wrote:
>
>> Also - Batman is either a billionaire or he works for the feds. If
>> they don't suspect the latter, then he's easy to find.
>
>On the one hand, with all the weaponry that leaks out of Wayne Enterprises, I
>*would* expect a lot of reporter exposes and government audits there.
>
>On the other hand, Osama bin Laden is either a multimillionaire or he works for
>the Pakistani Government. How easy is *he* to find?

LOL - ask President Obama.
--
Rob Cypher
Blogspot: http://robcypher.blogspot.com