Cagney: "You'll Never Take Me ALive, Coppers" What movie?

JimNeibaur

Oct 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/16/97

He never said it -- he came close with some lines in ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES
(empty like your thick skull, copper -- get back copper or I'll spit in your
eye again)

and WHITE HEAT (Come and get me copper)

but the closest may be Edw. G. Robinson in LITTLE CAESAR (I told ya you coppers
would never get cuffs on me)

Great stuff.

JimN

Pat Harrington

Oct 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/16/97

What movie was that classic quote from....and was it even Cagney, and if so,
where can I find a wave file???

Pls respond by email
My appreciation ahead of time

Pat
mad...@2die4.com

P.J. Gladnick

Oct 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/17/97

> He never said it -- he came close with some lines in ANGELS WITH DIRTY
FACES
> (empty like your thick skull, copper -- get back copper or I'll spit in
your
> eye again)
>
> and WHITE HEAT (Come and get me copper)

TOP OF THE WORLD, MA!!!

Howard MacGregor

Oct 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/17/97

In article <19971017133...@ladder02.news.aol.com>,
jimne...@aol.com (JimNeibaur) wrote:

> PJ stated:

> TOP OF THE WORLD, MA!!!

> -----
>
> it was: Made it Ma, top of the word! (boom)
>
> classic stuff
>
> JimN

Isn't it also in White Heat that Cagney comes closes to saying the line
attributed to him by many mimics: Take that, ya dirty rats! (or did he
really say this line a film?)
In White Heat there's a scene where he fires through a broken window and
says something like (as I recall) "Take that, ya ...." as he fires off a
few shots.
Yes? No?

hm

B Moke

Oct 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/17/97

> Thurston Rus...@teleport.com says (regarding "White Heat" line)

>> TOP OF THE WORLD, MA!!!
>

>> it was: Made it Ma, top of the word! (boom)
>
>> classic stuff
>

>I could sware it was: "Made it Ma, top of the worLd!"
>
>B-O-O-M

Well, if you're gonna be that way, I could swear it was:

I could swEAR it was: "Made it Ma, top of the worLd!"

B-O-O-M

Thurston

Oct 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/17/97

Sorry big fella, "sware" is merely an archaic form of swear.
Look it up in the Oxford English Dictionary.

JimNeibaur

Oct 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/17/97

THurston stated:

I could sware it was: "Made it Ma, top of the worLd!"

B-O-O-M
-------

hmmmm, was it B-O-O-M or K-A-B-L-A-M

JimN

mack twamley

Oct 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/17/97

B Moke <bm...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19971017193...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

> > Thurston Rus...@teleport.com says (regarding "White Heat" line)
>

> >> TOP OF THE WORLD, MA!!!
> >

> >> it was: Made it Ma, top of the word! (boom)
> >
> >> classic stuff

> >I could sware it was: "Made it Ma, top of the worLd!"
> >
> >B-O-O-M
> >

> Well, if you're gonna be that way, I could swear it was:
>

> I could swEAR it was: "Made it Ma, top of the worLd!"
>
> B-O-O-M
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The actual line was " Maid it Ma, top of the whirled!" Kaboom!

'BurkeZoology' C Wood

Oct 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/17/97

On Fri, 17 Oct 1997, Howard MacGregor wrote:

> Isn't it also in White Heat that Cagney comes closes to saying the line
> attributed to him by many mimics: Take that, ya dirty rats! (or did he
> really say this line a film?)
> In White Heat there's a scene where he fires through a broken window and
> says something like (as I recall) "Take that, ya ...." as he fires off a
> few shots.
> Yes? No?

The mimics' line is "Mmm, you dirty rat!" Cagney never said this in a
film. The only film in which he came close was 'Blonde Crazy (1931)' in
which he says "Mmm, that dirty double-crossin' rat!"

---Rod Crawford, Seattle, USA <puff...@u.washington.edu>

JimNeibaur

Oct 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/17/97

PJ stated:

TOP OF THE WORLD, MA!!!

-----

it was: Made it Ma, top of the word! (boom)

classic stuff

JimN

peter krynicki

Oct 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/20/97

'BurkeZoology' C Wood wrote:

I was watching Island of Lost Souls from 1931 from the novel by H.G.
Wells' The Island of Dr. Moreau, and Charles Laughton, as Dr. Moreau,
actually says "The natives are restless tonight."

Pjk

Steve Crook

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

Well, according to the IMDb it was

Cody Jarrett: Look at me ma, on top of the world!

Any more suggestions :)

Steve

Colin Ryono

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

Steve Crook (st...@brainstorm.co.uk) wrote:
: Well, according to the IMDb it was

: Cody Jarrett: Look at me ma, on top of the world!

The sound makes a great Mac shutdown sound, and (as it can be
sometimes...) the IMDb is wrong: it's "Made it Ma, top of the world!"--he
may say it the other way at a different point in the film...
And it's very much a BOOOM!

-c.

Colin L. Ryono |
Lewis & Clark College | "Proud and insolent youth," said Hook, "prepare
Portland, Oregon | to meet thy doom!"
www.lclark.edu/~ryono | "Dark and sinister man," Peter answered, "have
"My heart is as full as| at thee!"
baked potato" | -J.M Barrie, "Peter & Wendy"

paul johnson

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

--------------8A3710E3325536904584E090

> If it was ever in a movie, it would be in something by Ben Hect
> or Charlie MacArthur, in Hect's biography A Child of the
> Century He reports a news styory that goes something like this
> " Charlie Smith was cornered by police last nite. He warnd the
> Police 'You'll never take me alive', he was right"

--------------8A3710E3325536904584E090

<HTML>

<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>If it was ever in a movie, it would be in something
by Ben Hect or Charlie MacArthur, in Hect's biography <U>A Child of the
Century</U>&nbsp; He reports a news styory that goes something like this
" Charlie Smith was cornered by police last nite. He warnd the Police 'You'll
never take me alive', he was right"</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;&nbsp;</HTML>

--------------8A3710E3325536904584E090--

JimNeibaur

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

Steve stated:

Well, according to the IMDb it was

Cody Jarrett: Look at me ma, on top of the world!

Any more suggestions :)
-------

Yeah, I suggest whoever contributed that to IMDb watch the movie.

"Made it ma, top of the world!"

I promise that is what he says.

Jim

Howard MacGregor

Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97

In article <19971021183...@ladder02.news.aol.com>,
jimne...@aol.com (JimNeibaur) wrote:

Yours most certainly has the ring to it that I remember.

hm

FRAJM

Oct 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/22/97

Not only that, but Cinemania includes this sound clip from _White Heat_ and a
still of Cagney in the last scene with a caption and the clip by itself proves
that the IMDb has got it wrong and Jim's got it right.

In addition the caption for the photo reads: "'Made it, Ma! Top of the world!'
Standing atop a burning refinery tanker, wounded killer Arthur Cody Jarrett
(James Cagney) goes out in a blaze of glory, in the explosive final scene of
WHITE HEAT."

Frank Richard Aloysius Jude Maloney
http://members.aol.com/frajm/frankm.htm
"All over the room throats were being strained and minds broadened."
-- P. G. Wodehouse, Piccadilly Jim

Steve Crook

Oct 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/22/97

JimNeibaur wrote:

> Steve stated:
>
> Well, according to the IMDb it was
>
> Cody Jarrett: Look at me ma, on top of the world!
>
> Any more suggestions :)
> -------
>
> Yeah, I suggest whoever contributed that to IMDb watch the movie.
>
> "Made it ma, top of the world!"
>
> I promise that is what he says.
>
> Jim

I *thought* their version wasn't as I remembered it. I've
submitted a correction to them :)

Steve

dan lerner

Oct 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/23/97

steve,

try watching the end of "angels with dirty faces", i'm sure its there!

dan.

cen0...@centuryinter.net

Nov 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/3/97

Yaeh, but the film is Rauol Walsh's White Heat (1949), Thats
what they want to know.

Mike Rice