to william and Kingo Gondo

calvin

Mar 17, 2010, 10:16:25 PM3/17/10
Both of you can go to hell. This is not to get back in your
good graces. But it continues to gall me that when each
of you denounced me recently you cited my poor taste in
movies as partial justification. That of course was because
I have defended one or two 'incorrect' movies in this forum.
If you're going to denounce me in public, at least have accurate
data to do it with. Here is a list of all of my movies on disc, ie.
those movies I've cared enough about to buy laserdiscs and
DVDs, and to make homemade dvds of. Not included are
hundreds of VHS and homemade vhs tapes.

A.I.
Alien
Aliens
All About Eve
All the Pretty Horses
Amarcord
The Ape
Apollo 13
Architecture of Doom
Atonement
Ayn Rand A Sense of Life
Beautiful Thing
Ben-Hur
Blue Planet imax
Bombshell
Bonfire of the Vanities
The Boys in the Band
Brokeback Mountain
Buddy
Bullets Over Broadway
Camelot
Cassandra's Dream
Cat Ballou
Cloverfield
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Don Giovanni
Downfall
Easy Virtue
8 1/2
El Topo
E.T.
Excalibur
Exodus
Everest imax
Fanny
Fantasia
Fargo
Flower Drum Song
Fracture
Frequency
Giant
Glengarry Glen Ross
Gone with the Wind
A Good Baby
The Greatest Story Ever Told
Hamlet
Helen of Troy
Hijacking Hollywood
Il Fiore Delle Mille E Una Notte
In the Beginning
Intolerance
Jamaica Inn
Judgment At Nuremberg
Juliet of the Spirits
Jurassic Park
King Kong
King of Kings
La Dolce Vita
Land of the Pharaohs
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
Legends of the Fall
Leonard Cohen I'm Your Man
The Leopard
Le Samourai
The Lion in Winter
The Lord of the Rings
The Lost World
Madame Butterfly
Manhattan
Memphis Belle
Metropolis
Mighty Aphrodite
Mutiny on the Bounty
Muybridge
My Fair Lady
Nashville
Night and Fog
Nosferatu
Notorious
Oklahoma!
Olympia
On the Beach
Our Hospitality
Paris, Je T'aime
Pearl Harbor
The Phantom of the Opera
Primer
Psycho
Psycho IV
The Purple Rose of Cairo
Qvo Vadis
Revolutionary Road
Sabotage
Satyricon
Saving Private Ryan
The Searchers
Sherlock, Jr.
Sleeping Beauty
Song of the South
South Pacific
South Pacific DC
South Pacific in Concert
Star Trek
Stateside
Staying Together
Sunrise
Sunshine
Synecdoche New York
The Ten Commandments
Teorema
The Terminator
The Testament of Dr. Mabuse
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
The 39 Steps
3 Worlds, 3 Voices, 1 Vision
Titanic
Tristan + Isolde
Triumph des Willens
2001 a space odyssey
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
Vertigo
Vicky Cristina Barcelona
A Wedding
West Side Story
Whatever Works
The Wind in the Willows

Tom

Mar 17, 2010, 10:29:51 PM3/17/10
calvin wrote:
> Both of you can go to hell. This is not to get back in your
> good graces. But it continues to gall me that when each
> of you denounced me recently you cited my poor taste in
> movies as partial justification. That of course was because
> I have defended one or two 'incorrect' movies in this forum.
> If you're going to denounce me in public, at least have accurate
> data to do it with. Here is a list of all of my movies on disc, ie.
> those movies I've cared enough about to buy laserdiscs and
> DVDs, and to make homemade dvds of. Not included are
> hundreds of VHS and homemade vhs tapes.

<list snipped>

LOL!

Did one of your cats piss in your corn flakes, calvin?

For the record, you have defended some inarguably bad movies. You are
incorrect, not the movies.

Tom

william

Mar 17, 2010, 10:43:58 PM3/17/10
On Mar 17, 10:16 pm, calvin <cri...@windstream.net> wrote:
> Both of you can go to hell.  This is not to get back in your
> good graces.  But it continues to gall me that when each
> of you denounced me recently you cited my poor taste in
> movies as partial justification.

Au contraire, my fiesty right-wing nutter. I don't care that you like
Hitchcock or Woody Allen or think "Pearl Harbor" is a good movie. I
like films that appall other people and if we seek consensus we end up
with mud. My issue with you is that you have the soul of a troll and
your defense -- sight unseen -- of a movie that uses the World Trade
Center bombing and then destruction as devices in an -- allegedly --
romantic movie is what ticked me off. As a New Yorker and as someone
who worked at the WTC (before and after the bombing but long gone for
the destruction) that usage reeks of exploitation, crash cheapness and
I don't think -- as you asserted -- that that is "clever." One other
thing that bothers me -- I mean, while we're on the subject -- is that
you use "Avatar" and "Hurt Locker" as a springboard for your
neanderthal sense of patriotism. As if -- your logic seems to be --
that you are the real "American" and the rest of us are mindless
drones buying tickets to Gomorrah and the destruction of our precious
bodily fluids. While I agree that there is a "liberal" slant to media
(most of it in TV shows), I don't find the idea of replacing that
slant with a different political slant as an improvement. It really
irks me when ring-wing nutters and liberal paranoids begin spinning
their pet fears off of films to make some political point the film
never intended or had content that doesn't support the irrational
rant. Films say things but my concern is finding out what that might
be rather than finding some hole I can dump my beliefs into.

So, I really don't give a burning nun on a rolling donut about what
films you think are good, bad, or otherwise. My issue is that you
enter threads -- sometimes -- to hijack them so you can push Woody
Allen, George Bush or your never-ending sputtering about the liberal
media.

Hey, you asked.

William
www.williamahearn.com

calvin

Mar 17, 2010, 11:12:49 PM3/17/10
On Mar 17, 10:43 pm, william <wlahe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... My issue with you is that you have the soul of a troll and

> your defense -- sight unseen -- of a movie that uses the World Trade
> Center bombing and then destruction as devices in an -- allegedly --
> romantic movie is what ticked me off. As a New Yorker and as someone
> who worked at the WTC (before and after the bombing but long gone for
> the destruction) that usage reeks of exploitation, crash cheapness and
> I don't think -- as you asserted -- that that is "clever." ...

Paraphrasing Kennedy, Ich bin ein New Yorker.

Kingo Gondo

Mar 17, 2010, 11:35:03 PM3/17/10
You need to take a break from Usenet. Seriously.

Juan Anonly

Mar 18, 2010, 1:32:06 AM3/18/10
On Mar 17, 10:16 pm, calvin <cri...@windstream.net> wrote:
> Both of you can go to hell.  This is not to get back in your
> good graces.  But it continues to gall me that when each
> of you denounced me recently you cited my poor taste in
> movies as partial justification.

You need to get some help. Under the subject of two participants's
names you're mounting a great defense of the idea that you have good
taste? Man that is so pitiful. What could you possibly expect to come
from something like that?

You need to think about what "paranoid" and "obsessive" really mean in
the garden-variety sense. Think about it maybe while addressing a
counselor, or maybe just family members.

That is really some kinda sad. Now I'm sorry I called you a whore for
the GOP. And that is truly saying a lot.
--
-- Beware the delicate, tiny, very talented celebrity starlets.

calvin

Mar 18, 2010, 1:41:06 AM3/18/10

Please. This is none of your business. I was addressing the
unfairness of having my taste denounced simply because I
defend two or three movies that are unpopular in this forum.
I'm not claiming to have great taste, but only acceptable taste
for a participant in this forum, and I think my list of discs
demonstrates that. The case therefore is closed.

As for you having called me a whore for the GOP, I couldn't
care less.

MichaelW

Mar 18, 2010, 5:01:47 AM3/18/10
Do you really keep an alphabetical list of all your movies? Mine just lie
about anywhere, stuck in between books on the shelves. I hardly touch them
after i have seen them once, so I am not bying much anymore anyway. Most of
the time I buy what is on sale at the supermarket without any thought for
how good it might be. That's why I have several films with Stephen Seagal
and Van Damme:) I see you have the Umbrellas of Cherbourgh. I got that
thinking it was a classic, but then i got so annoyed by the fact that all
lines were sung, even the dialogue, that i never watched the whole thing.
Anyway, i would call your film list quite normal. Not that my opnion should
count though.

--
http://www.booksie.com/michael_wynn (my humble self)
www.TheEnglishCollection.com

"calvin" <cri...@windstream.net> skrev i melding

Tom Sutpen

Mar 18, 2010, 8:21:49 AM3/18/10
On Mar 18, 1:41 am, calvin <cri...@windstream.net> wrote:

> Please.  This is none of your business.  I was addressing the
> unfairness of having my taste denounced simply because I
> defend two or three movies that are unpopular in this forum.
> I'm not claiming to have great taste, but only acceptable taste
> for a participant in this forum, and I think my list of discs
> demonstrates that.  The case therefore is closed.

*****
I don't think there's a standard for 'acceptable' taste here, nor do I
think there ought to be. Each person who posts with some regularity
undoubtedly likes something that every other person would think beyond
the pale. Other words, this is not something anyone should have to
defend.

What is it, incidentally, that you thought was admirable about 'Pearl
Harbor'? To me it might be the most Politically Correct (in the truest
sense of that term) movie ever made; nor do I see anything in it that
sets it apart from 'Gone in 60 Seconds' or 'Days of Thunder' or any
other movie Jerry Bruckheimer has produced. Surely you would not have
much good to say about those films; how is this one, aesthetically,
any different?

And don't start accusing me of attacking you. I'm merely trying to
open a dialogue.

> As for you having called me a whore for the GOP, I couldn't
> care less.

*****
Well . . . it's not something I'd want on my resume.

Tom Sutpen

calvin

Mar 18, 2010, 9:25:38 AM3/18/10
On Mar 18, 5:01 am, "MichaelW" <michaelhenrikw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you really keep an alphabetical list of all your movies?

That was an index, which I took the numbers off of before
posting it. Since most of them are copies, an index to
the sleeves is useful. And since SP copies are limited to
2 hours, some movies are on two discs. Similarly for my
VHS tapes, not listed.

calvin

Mar 18, 2010, 9:29:24 AM3/18/10
On Mar 18, 8:21 am, Tom Sutpen <tomsut...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What is it, incidentally, that you thought was admirable about 'Pearl
> Harbor'?

No, let's not go that way ever again. That's the cause of most
of my trouble over the past nine years. We could talk about
Blood Meridian, which I read on your recommendation and
that of a few others. Maybe you missed my post about it a
couple of weeks ago.

Flasherly

Mar 18, 2010, 9:38:16 AM3/18/10
On Mar 18, 5:01 am, "MichaelW" <michaelhenrikw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you really keep an alphabetical list of all your movies? Mine just lie
> about anywhere, stuck in between books on the shelves. I hardly touch them
> after i have seen them once, so I am not bying much anymore anyway. Most of
> the time I buy what is on sale at the supermarket without any thought for
> how good it might be. That's why I have several films with Stephen Seagal
> and Van Damme:) I see you have the Umbrellas of Cherbourgh. I got that
> thinking it was a classic, but then i got so annoyed by the fact that all
> lines were sung, even the dialogue, that i never watched the whole thing.
> Anyway, i would call your film list quite normal. Not that my opnion should
> count though.

http://ant-movie-catalog.en.softonic.com/

Alphabetised... really. Not where "comprehensive" interests tread,
roughly, over 1800 movies, if consecutively allowed to run, will
comprise 3360 hours in 140 days of viewing. Half that time would be
American films, the rest are various international film interests. A
third of the time is drama, as I've developed seriously little
tolerance for subcategories which aren't other than depictions related
to a tangible sense of "dramatic" reality, whereas another full third
could be said to encompass, quite broadly, anything but reality, in a
fair to encompassing representation of both a genre of science
fiction, as well a role for its sister-in-kin, fantasy, more of late
to play. There yet remains a questionable third, of which, anime,
war, westerns, documentaries, musical instruction and historical
docudrama, likely would survive categorically as listed;- Unlike
thrillers, horror, "action", romance, and crime, which are somewhat
contentious designates, whether as to toss all but the best, somewhere
aside drama, as drama might be of an higher order. A clearer analogy
perhaps is Cyberpunk, where I toss some seriously strange and little-
known science fiction mooies.

S D

Mar 18, 2010, 10:23:32 AM3/18/10
I have about 70,000 hours of tv

Tom

Mar 18, 2010, 11:22:40 AM3/18/10
On Mar 18, 12:41 am, calvin <cri...@windstream.net> wrote:
> On Mar 18, 1:32 am, Juan Anonly <nob...@nowhere.com> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 17, 10:16 pm, calvin <cri...@windstream.net> wrote:
> > > Both of you can go to hell. This is not to get back in your
> > > good graces. But it continues to gall me that when each
> > > of you denounced me recently you cited my poor taste in
> > > movies as partial justification.
>
> > You need to get some help.  Under the subject of two participants's
> > names you're mounting a great defense of the idea that you have good
> > taste?  Man that is so pitiful.  What could you possibly expect to come
> > from something like that?
>
> > You need to think about what "paranoid" and "obsessive" really mean in
> > the garden-variety sense. Think about it maybe while addressing a
> > counselor, or maybe just family members.
>
> > That is really some kinda sad. Now I'm sorry I called you a whore for
> > the GOP.  And that is truly saying a lot.
>
> Please.  This is none of your business.

You truly don't understand Usenet, do you? It's the wild west...
anyone can respond to a post. No one needs your permission to respond
to one of your posts, no matter how ridiculous it is.

>  I was addressing the
> unfairness of having my taste denounced simply because I
> defend two or three movies that are unpopular in this forum.
> I'm not claiming to have great taste, but only acceptable taste
> for a participant in this forum, and I think my list of discs
> demonstrates that.

Life's not fair, calvin. Get over it.

I don't believe anyone has a problem with your tastse, or lack
thereof. I believe the problem lies in what william described
upthread, but you refuse to acknowledge... stop using your "movie
reviews" as a vehicle for your politcal views.

> The case therefore is closed.

Not until the last post in this thread is made.

> As for you having called me a whore for the GOP, I couldn't
> care less.

Your cats must be so proud.

Tom

David Oberman

Mar 18, 2010, 12:41:28 PM3/18/10
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 19:16:25 -0700 (PDT), calvin
<cri...@windstream.net> wrote:

These are the movies I like:

>Don Giovanni
>Excalibur
>Everest imax
>Hamlet
>Intolerance
>The Leopard

>Nashville
>Night and Fog
>Nosferatu

>Olympia
>Our Hospitality
>The Searchers
>Sherlock, Jr.
>Sunrise
>The Ten Commandments
>The 39 Steps
>Vertigo

David Oberman

Mar 18, 2010, 12:44:56 PM3/18/10
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 05:21:49 -0700 (PDT), Tom Sutpen
<toms...@gmail.com> wrote:

>*****
>I don't think there's a standard for 'acceptable' taste here, nor do I
>think there ought to be.

I beg to differ, but I happen to be the standard, in all modesty.

MichaelW

Mar 18, 2010, 12:55:44 PM3/18/10
Do you have only new tv series, or do you have classic shows such as
Gunsmoke, Playhouse 90 etc?

"S D" <for...@webtv.net> skrev i melding

S D

Mar 18, 2010, 1:03:57 PM3/18/10
I have movies and animal programs, do not have much interest in series.
Gunsmoke is shown daily on the Encore Western Channel. There are several
sites that specialize in old tv series.

Juan Anonly

Mar 18, 2010, 8:26:36 PM3/18/10
On 2010-03-17 22:41:06 -0700, calvin said:

>> That is really some kinda sad. Now I'm sorry I called you a whore for
>> the GOP.  And that is truly saying a lot.
>
> Please. This is none of your business.

In that case I would recommend using a highly public service to conduct
private business.

> I was addressing the unfairness of having my taste denounced simply because I
> defend two or three movies that are unpopular in this forum.

And you think listing movies you like will have some effect on that do
you? That people who thought your taste small-minded, will now think
you are big-thinker? That people who dismissed you will embrace you?
Nothing will change. It's infantile to imagine otherwise. It's not an
insult to ask, "Who wouldn't know that?" It's an appeal to simple logic.

> I'm not claiming to have great taste, but only acceptable taste
> for a participant in this forum, and I think my list of discs
> demonstrates that. The case therefore is closed.

That's a relief!

> As for you having called me a whore for the GOP, I couldn't care less.

Oh good! I rescind my sorrow. You'll undoubtedly be hearing it again.

calvin

Mar 18, 2010, 10:00:51 PM3/18/10
On Mar 18, 8:26 pm, Juan Anonly <nob...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> On 2010-03-17 22:41:06 -0700, calvin said:
> > Juan Anonly said:
> > > That is really some kinda sad. Now I'm sorry I called you a whore for
> > > the GOP.  And that is truly saying a lot.
> > Please.  This is none of your business.
>
> In that case I would recommend [not] using a highly public service

> to conduct private business.
>
> > I was addressing the unfairness of having my taste denounced simply
> > because I defend two or three movies that are unpopular in this forum.
>
> And you think listing movies you like will have some effect on that do
> you? That people who thought your taste small-minded, will now think
> you are big-thinker? That people who dismissed you will embrace you?
> Nothing will change.  It's infantile to imagine otherwise. It's not an
> insult to ask, "Who wouldn't know that?" It's an appeal to simple logic.

I was making an appeal to simple logic, that defending
a few unpopular movies should not result in denunciation
of my taste if I can list dozens of movies that I admire as
much as everyone else. Why is my appeal to simple
logic any less reasonable than yours? I wasn't expecting
people to suddenly think me a 'big thinker'. I was only
demonstrating that my tastes are well within an acceptable
range for participation in this forum. I could double or treble
the list that I gave by including my VHS tapes, but I think
my point has been made. If anyone is so mean-spirited as
to continue to exclude me from among the taste-worthy,
then that is his problem. I have refuted him.

> > I'm not claiming to have great taste, but only acceptable taste
> > for a participant in this forum, and I think my list of discs
> > demonstrates that. The case therefore is closed.
>
> That's a relief!
>
> > As for you having called me a whore for the GOP, I couldn't care less.
>
> Oh good! I rescind my sorrow. You'll undoubtedly be hearing it again.

Excellent. You have rescinded your insufferable condescention.

David Oberman

Mar 18, 2010, 11:10:04 PM3/18/10
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 19:00:51 -0700 (PDT), calvin
<cri...@windstream.net> wrote:

>If anyone is so mean-spirited as
>to continue to exclude me from among the taste-worthy,
>then that is his problem. I have refuted him.

You have good taste, calvin, & excellent grammar.

_______

We're still the offspring of the Romantic movement,
and still victims of the fallacies of hope.

-- Kenneth Clark, "Civilisation"

calvin

Mar 18, 2010, 11:24:21 PM3/18/10
On Mar 18, 11:10 pm, David Oberman <DavidOber...@att.net> wrote:
> You have good taste, calvin, & excellent grammar.

Haw. Take that, K.G.

calvin

Mar 19, 2010, 7:36:56 AM3/19/10
condescension not condescention

Avoid normal situations.

May 18, 2010, 1:05:09 AM5/18/10
Kingo Gondo <kingo_nos...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You need to take a break from Usenet. Seriously.

Seconded.

--
alt.flame Special Forces
"Intellectuals start all the trouble in the world." -- Peggy Noonan

Big Boss Crowther

May 18, 2010, 1:48:32 AM5/18/10
On May 18, 12:05 am, "Avoid normal situations."
<byend.removethisbityousillyper...@eskimo.com> wrote:

> Kingo Gondo <kingo_nospam_go...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > You need to take a break from Usenet. Seriously.
>
>   Seconded.
>
> --
> alt.flame Special Forces
> "Intellectuals start all the trouble in the world." -- Peggy Noonan

Gongo needs to take a break from picking on poor helpless saintly
lovely darling wonderful Calvin.
Sure, Calvin is a retard for liking Pearl Harbor, but Gongo too is a
retard for liking dumb movies like Quintet.
Besides, Calvin likes some good movies too and likewise with Gongo.
So, it aint fair for Gongo to pick on Calvin for being a retard when
everyone here has his or her retarded likes and dislikes.

ONLY I like only good movies and hate only bad movies.

calvin

May 18, 2010, 8:16:37 AM5/18/10