Grupy dyskusyjne Google nie obsługują już nowych postów ani subskrypcji z Usenetu. Treści historyczne nadal będą dostępne.

Whipping Scenes in Movies

6 856 wyświetleń

Oslo Netfetter

nieprzeczytany,
29 lip 1997, 03:00:0029.07.1997
do

Hello all,
I am once again asking for submissions of entries, pictures, and
whatever else you can think of for my Whipping Scenes in Movies web
site. The sit whould be up in a week or so, and I will make one final
announcement at that time. Thanks to those who have already submitted
entries. You know who you are and your input is greatly appreciated.

Oslo

Opencity

nieprzeczytany,
30 lip 1997, 03:00:0030.07.1997
do

I'm usually not one to whip and tell, but the 1962 film version of "Billy
Budd" ran into potential censorship problems because it had two whipping
scenes. Both were kept in the final release, albeit in tasteful
presentations.

Lknafc

nieprzeczytany,
30 lip 1997, 03:00:0030.07.1997
do

Gunga Dun with Cary Grant and Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. . . . Cary gets
whipped not on screen and his buddy gets whipped onscreen.

Also the 1935 version of Les Miserables has that harrowing ship's galley
whipping scene of Jean Valjean.

Wasn't there also some whipping in Return of the Sheik with Valentino?

Near whipping count? How about The King and I?

Hope this helps. I'm a little scared I know these things.
Linda Kay

AlRodz

nieprzeczytany,
30 lip 1997, 03:00:0030.07.1997
do

My dare-I-say favorite is from Luis Bunuel's Mexican
melodrama/anti-comedia ranchera SUSANA, around 1950. It's the darkly
twisted tale of a "bad girl" (an escapee from the women's reformatory) who
comes to a peacefully idyllic rancho and seduces the father, son and head
ranch-hand. The scene in question involves the loving, maternal Catholic
wife who is pushed beyond the point, grabs a whip and begins thrashing the
girl, a marvelously sadistic smile on her face.

See it to believe it.

AlRodz

ellis

nieprzeczytany,
30 lip 1997, 03:00:0030.07.1997
do

One Eyed Jacks , Malden on Brando
The Wild Bunch "back to Yuma" flashback of Robert Ryan
If, Malcom McDowell beaten by upper classmen
Midnight Express
The Kentuckian, Matthua bullwhips Lancaster
Nevada Smith, MacQueen having to jump in and keep the whipped convict
from drowning.

Nothing like a few lashes to get the audience involved.

Lar E. Warner

nieprzeczytany,
30 lip 1997, 03:00:0030.07.1997
do

I forget whether this was mentioned. Raquel Welch has a brief whipping scene
in The Magic Christian.

There are whipping scenes in Belle du Jour as well.

Ted Thompson

nieprzeczytany,
30 lip 1997, 03:00:0030.07.1997
do

Denzel Washington in "Glory".

Ted

eldorado

nieprzeczytany,
30 lip 1997, 03:00:0030.07.1997
do AlRodz

AlRodz wrote:

> My dare-I-say favorite is from Luis Bunuel's Mexican
> melodrama/anti-comedia ranchera SUSANA, around 1950. (snip)

The scene in question involves the loving, maternal Catholic
> wife who is pushed beyond the point, grabs a whip and begins thrashing the
> girl, a marvelously sadistic smile on her face.
>
> See it to believe it.
>
> AlRodz

Hi Al... Wonder if this counts for anything? In "Susana", the girl who
gets the whipping is played by Mexican actress Rosita Quintana. She
also took a very vivid spanking from Pedro Armendariz in "El Charro y la
Dama" (1959) and another spanking, from Julio Aldama, in "Tres Balas
Perdidas" (1960). Do you suppose little Rosita was "into it"? Could
this be a coincidence of casting? What say you?

El Dorado

george stachnik

nieprzeczytany,
30 lip 1997, 03:00:0030.07.1997
do

Oslo Netfetter wrote:
> I am once again asking for ... Whipping Scenes in Movies.

I'm Surprised that nobody has mentioned the various versions of the
Hunchback
of Notre Dame. (Not the Disney cartoon. The Chas. Laughton film has
references to all kinds of personal nastiness.)

Gary Thorn

nieprzeczytany,
31 lip 1997, 03:00:0031.07.1997
do

Oslo Netfetter (sauc...@hotmail.com) wrote:
: Hello all,
: I am once again asking for submissions of entries, pictures, and
: whatever else you can think of for my Whipping Scenes in Movies web
: site. The sit whould be up in a week or so, and I will make one final
: announcement at that time. Thanks to those who have already submitted
: entries. You know who you are and your input is greatly appreciated.
:
Top Secret
Glory
House of Whipcord (presumably--I haven't seen it)
Videodrome

Caius Marcius

nieprzeczytany,
31 lip 1997, 03:00:0031.07.1997
do

In <tedt-30079...@blv-pm106-ip13.halcyon.com> te...@halcyon.com
(Ted Thompson) writes:

Jesus (Ted Neely) gets 39 lashes in Jesus Chirst Superstar.

To move from the (sort of) sacred to the (definitely!) profane, there's
a totally pointless scene of a bimbo whipping another bimbo (in of
course bondage) in that sublime Ed Wood masterpiece Glen or Glenda.

And there was a scene in one of the Pink Panther films where Inspector
Closseau gets chased around by a whip-wielding dominatrix.

- CMC

Dan Helmick

nieprzeczytany,
31 lip 1997, 03:00:0031.07.1997
do

Lance Henriksen as the monk in THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM, uttering the immortal
line: "Flog me."

--

FilmGene

nieprzeczytany,
31 lip 1997, 03:00:0031.07.1997
do

Has anyone mentioned the scene in which the Evil Queen whips Gloria
Swanson out of the magnificent palace in "Queen Kelly"?

Gene Stavis, School of Visual Arts - NYC

mario camposano pasamba

nieprzeczytany,
31 lip 1997, 03:00:0031.07.1997
do

Did anyone mention the scene in Fargo when the Indian whips Steve
Buscemi's character?

"Get the fuck OUTTA here!"

Mario

sauc...@hotmail.com

nieprzeczytany,
31 lip 1997, 03:00:0031.07.1997
do

In article <19970730125...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,

Thanks for the submissions. Don't be scared that you know
these things. Be scared when you see my web site ;)
There are already over 100 entries on it!
Keep them coming, and thanks to all.

Oslo

S. Bockelman

nieprzeczytany,
31 lip 1997, 03:00:0031.07.1997
do

Lawrence of Arabia - T.E.Lawrence (Peter O'Toole) is whipped (and sodomized?
off screen) by Jose Ferrer's character ("Effendi"?).

Congress Dances (Der Kongress Tanzt) (1931)- A flower girl is arrested and
whipped by the jailer after being wrongly accused of throwing a bomb at
the king.

In article <5rl8tp$a0v$1...@msunews.cl.msu.edu>,

sauc...@hotmail.com (Oslo Netfetter) wrote:
>Hello all,
>I am once again asking for submissions of entries, pictures, and
>whatever else you can think of for my Whipping Scenes in Movies web
>site. The sit whould be up in a week or so, and I will make one final
>announcement at that time. Thanks to those who have already submitted
>entries. You know who you are and your input is greatly appreciated.
>

>Oslo

Cyndi Christensen

nieprzeczytany,
31 lip 1997, 03:00:0031.07.1997
do

Tyrone Power gets whipped in "Son of Fury"
The slave woman (can't remember her name) gets whipped in "The Crucible"

Shiow-Jiau Yung

nieprzeczytany,
31 lip 1997, 03:00:0031.07.1997
do

On Thu, 31 Jul 1997, Cyndi Christensen wrote:

> Tyrone Power gets whipped in "Son of Fury"
> The slave woman (can't remember her name) gets whipped in "The Crucible"

Tituba

<snip>

Shiow-Jiau Yung
Electrical and Computer Engineering
http://www.cen.uiuc.edu/~yung1

Robert...@teleport.com

nieprzeczytany,
31 lip 1997, 03:00:0031.07.1997
do

> te...@halcyon.com (Ted Thompson) writes:

> Denzel Washington in "Glory".

Fletcher Christian in the (Charles Laughton) Mutiny on the Bounty.

edgar m twamley

nieprzeczytany,
31 lip 1997, 03:00:0031.07.1997
do

<Pine.SOL.3.95.97073...@dclsn2.cen.uiuc.edu>...

> On Thu, 31 Jul 1997, Cyndi Christensen wrote:
>
> > Tyrone Power gets whipped in "Son of Fury"
> > The slave woman (can't remember her name) gets whipped in "The
Crucible"

> Tituba
>
> <

another whipping, or whippings took place in GUNGA DIN, when the guru was
trying to get the regimental plans for attack. First Cary Grant, of whom
McLaglen winces in sympathy "Oh mate, your back!", and then Victor gets a
few lashes before the threat to throw him in the snake pit (with its
wonderfully phony snakes, manipulated by wires that show if you look
carefully).

Colin Rosenthal

nieprzeczytany,
31 lip 1997, 03:00:0031.07.1997
do

>Thanks for the submissions.

Nicely phrased...

--
Colin Rosenthal
High Altitude Observatory

Martin Koolhoven

nieprzeczytany,
1 sie 1997, 03:00:001.08.1997
do

There is some great whipping in The Bounty (the version with A. Hopkins,
M. Gibson, L. Neeson and D.D. Lewis)
Often overlooked film, by the way. Deserves a bit more attention.

Martin

Robert...@teleport.com

nieprzeczytany,
1 sie 1997, 03:00:001.08.1997
do

No, no, Mario, in the Fargo scene the Indian whooops, not whips.

Michele Tirone

nieprzeczytany,
1 sie 1997, 03:00:001.08.1997
do

Marlon Brando in "One-Eyed Jack"
Gregory Peck in "The World in his arms"
"Brubaker"
Kirk Douglas in "The Way West" - asks for
Depardieu in "Sous le soleil de Satan" (direct: Maurice Pialat) -
autopunishment
John Derek in "Ten Commandments"

erotic scenes:
Canterbury (Pasolini)
Histoire d'O

--
Michele - Paris (France) http://dawnrain.com/
LF Brian Keith films to complete my collection - My list:

Oslo Netfetter <sauc...@hotmail.com> a écrit dans l'article
<5rl8tp$a0v$1...@msunews.cl.msu.edu>...

xxxxmxxxx

nieprzeczytany,
1 sie 1997, 03:00:001.08.1997
do Lar E. Warner

hmmm....

Black Narcissus has been mentioned on here for it's allusions to the
possibility of Brits doing *illicit* things, but there just so happens to
be that odd little whipping scene of the Indian girl the nuns take in, by
that toothless witch/caretaker....

*whorling thru life like a tumble-weed in a ghost-town*
xxxxmxxxxx

On 30 Jul 1997, Lar E. Warner wrote:

> In article <33DEF7...@home.com>, ellis <ell...@home.com> wrote:
> >Oslo Netfetter wrote:
> >>

> >> Hello all,
> >> I am once again asking for submissions of entries, pictures, and
> >> whatever else you can think of for my Whipping Scenes in Movies web
> >> site. The sit whould be up in a week or so, and I will make one final
> >> announcement at that time. Thanks to those who have already submitted
> >> entries. You know who you are and your input is greatly appreciated.
> >>
> >> Oslo

Billy S.

nieprzeczytany,
2 sie 1997, 03:00:002.08.1997
do

Netfetter) wrote:

> Hello all,
> I am once again asking for submissions of entries, pictures, and
> whatever else you can think of for my Whipping Scenes in Movies web
> site. The sit whould be up in a week or so, and I will make one final
> announcement at that time. Thanks to those who have already submitted
> entries. You know who you are and your input is greatly appreciated.
>
> Oslo

Okay...

A Clockwork Orange-- Jesus Christ by Alex
Walking Tall-- some woman by a redneck
Roots-- Kunta Kinte by that really nasty white guy

my .02 cents worth

Billy S.

--
take a bite out of sPAM to reply!
bil...@netwalk.com

*this has been a transmission from the murky depths of Cow Country*

Brian John Wright

nieprzeczytany,
4 sie 1997, 03:00:004.08.1997
do

How, how, HOW could any of you forget _Star Trek: The Next
Generation_'s Marina "Deanna Troi" Sirtis, half-naked, getting
whipped by Faye Dunaway in _The Wicked Lady_?
(this was, of course, before Sirtis managed to die of a
broken arm in _Death Wish 3_)
-Brian

Shawn50273

nieprzeczytany,
5 sie 1997, 03:00:005.08.1997
do

>Hello all,
>I am once again asking for submissions of entries, pictures, and
>whatever else you can think of for my Whipping Scenes in Movies web
>site.

Liz Taylor whips Marlon Brando quite memorably in "Reflections in a Golden
Eye";

Peter O'Toole, as Henry II, either whips himself or has someone do it for
him (I can't remember) in "Becket".

-------
Shawn

Hoelker,Ed

nieprzeczytany,
5 sie 1997, 03:00:005.08.1997
do

How about Lee Marvin in "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence"?

kevin rayburn

nieprzeczytany,
8 sie 1997, 03:00:008.08.1997
do

Add this "whipping scene:"

The 1935 MGM adaptation of Dickens' "David Copperfield" has a pretty
realistic switch beating scene of little David (Freddie Bartholomew) by
his evil stepfather (Basil Rathbone).

Also, Becket is one of my favorite films, though not because of the
beating per se. King Henry II (O'Toole) orders some Saxon minions loyal
to Becket (Archbishop of Canterbury, played by Richard Burton) to beat
the king because he was responsible for Becket's murder. It was his way
of doing "penance;" ie. self punishment.

--Submitted by Kevin Rayburn, author of the W.C.Fields--The Great Man
website at:
(http://www.louisville.edu/~kprayb01/WC.html)

narf...@gmail.com

nieprzeczytany,
8 wrz 2013, 04:34:398.09.2013
do
On Tuesday, July 29, 1997 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Oslo Netfetter wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am once again asking for submissions of entries, pictures, and
> whatever else you can think of for my Whipping Scenes in Movies web
> site. The sit whould be up in a week or so, and I will make one final
> announcement at that time. Thanks to those who have already submitted
> entries. You know who you are and your input is greatly appreciated.
>
> Oslo

inmate wrongfully punished

wlah...@gmail.com

nieprzeczytany,
8 wrz 2013, 11:18:038.09.2013
do
On Sunday, September 8, 2013 4:34:39 AM UTC-4, narf...@gmail.com wrote:

> inmate wrongfully punished

Marat/Sade

art...@yahoo.com

nieprzeczytany,
8 wrz 2013, 13:30:088.09.2013
do
Django Unchained

cri...@windstream.net

nieprzeczytany,
8 wrz 2013, 13:30:408.09.2013
do
'Nicholas Nickleby' (2002) - revenge on the schoolmaster.

Robb Scott

nieprzeczytany,
8 wrz 2013, 14:04:268.09.2013
do
In article <652a7ae6-96ee-4115...@googlegroups.com>,
"art...@yahoo.com" <art...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Django Unchained

Roots.

Mack A. Damia

nieprzeczytany,
8 wrz 2013, 14:07:558.09.2013
do
Any one of the "Mutiny on the Bounty" films.

There are hundreds of websites dealing with corporal punishment in the
movies.

If you can get a copy of the UK 1987 film, "The Happy Valley", there
are several brutal scenes of canings of Juanita Carberry - based on
her own memoirs in pre-World War II Kenya.

And now for us sadists in the group...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm3684id5DA

--

Bill Steele

nieprzeczytany,
9 wrz 2013, 13:45:509.09.2013
do
In article <76a912c3-13f1-48c2...@googlegroups.com>,
Fair Wind to Java
Return to Treasure Island
Hitler's Children

Not sure, but maybe The Black Swan (the old Pirate movie, not the ballet
thing)

It scares me that I can come up with these.

OW

nieprzeczytany,
9 wrz 2013, 19:15:469.09.2013
do
On Tuesday, July 29, 1997 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Oslo Netfetter wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am once again asking for submissions of entries, pictures, and
> whatever else you can think of for my Whipping Scenes in Movies web
> site. The sit whould be up in a week or so, and I will make one final
> announcement at that time. Thanks to those who have already submitted
> entries. You know who you are and your input is greatly appreciated.
>
> Oslo

Passion of the Christ.

Halmyre

nieprzeczytany,
10 wrz 2013, 02:43:4410.09.2013
do
On Tuesday, July 29, 1997 8:00:00 AM UTC+1, Oslo Netfetter wrote:
> Hello all, I am once again asking for submissions of entries, pictures, and whatever else you can think of for my Whipping Scenes in Movies web site. The sit whould be up in a week or so, and I will make one final announcement at that time. Thanks to those who have already submitted entries. You know who you are and your input is greatly appreciated.Oslo

High Plains Drifter
Zorro?

--
Halmyre

bermuda999

nieprzeczytany,
10 wrz 2013, 07:48:3110.09.2013
do
On Tuesday, July 29, 1997 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Oslo Netfetter wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am once again asking for submissions of entries, pictures, and
> whatever else you can think of for my Whipping Scenes in Movies web
> site. The sit whould be up in a week or so, and I will make one final
> announcement at that time. Thanks to those who have already submitted
> entries. You know who you are and your input is greatly appreciated.
>
> Oslo

Julie and Julia (2009)*

(limited primarily to egg whites and cream)

cri...@windstream.net

nieprzeczytany,
10 wrz 2013, 08:26:5510.09.2013
do
On Wednesday, July 30, 1997 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Opencity wrote:
> I'm usually not one to whip and tell, but the 1962 film version of "Billy
> Budd" ran into potential censorship problems because it had two whipping
> scenes. Both were kept in the final release, albeit in tasteful
> presentations.

One of them was classic, showing Robert Ryan's Claggart
enjoying a whipping, and being disappointed when it was over.

trotsky

nieprzeczytany,
10 wrz 2013, 08:36:2110.09.2013
do
...should've been called "Passion of the Whip". I'll throw one in: one
of Mario Bava's best movies:

"The Whip and the Body."

--
Never post something on the internet unless you have a point of
reference. You will look like a moron otherwise.

Mike O'Sullivan

nieprzeczytany,
11 wrz 2013, 15:55:0211.09.2013
do
HMS Defiant

Bastette

nieprzeczytany,
12 wrz 2013, 22:42:2112.09.2013
do
Oslo Netfetter wrote:

> I am once again asking for submissions of entries, pictures, and
> whatever else you can think of for my Whipping Scenes in Movies web
> site. The sit whould be up in a week or so, and I will make one final
> announcement at that time. Thanks to those who have already submitted
> entries. You know who you are and your input is greatly appreciated.

If (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063850/?ref_=fn_al_tt_6)

Bastette

Mack A. Damia

nieprzeczytany,
12 wrz 2013, 23:16:2712.09.2013
do
Not certain if the OP is looking for general corporal punishment
scenes or specifically those done with a whip. "If" is done with a
cane.

Another brutal caning scene occurs in "Another Country" - loosely
based on the young Guy Burgess ("Bennett" in the film) at an
Eton-esque public school.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086904/

Guy Burgess, Donald Maclean, Anthony Blunt and KIM PHILBY were members
of the spy ring who contributed to the Communist cause with the
transmission of secret Foreign Office and MI5 documents that described
NATO military and Marshall Plan economic strategy. They became known
as the "Cambridge Five" as they were recruited at the University of
Cambridge (Trinity College) during the 1930s. The identitiy of the
fifth man remains a mystery, although several names have been put
forth, the most likely of which is John Cairncross.

Blunt was knighted and became the Surveyor of the King's Pictures in
London, the art collection owned by the British royal family. So his
invovement in the spy-ring became somewhat of an embarrassment.
"Blunt: the Fourth Man" stars Ian Richardson as Blunt and Anthony
Hopkins as Burgess. Most if not all of the spy ring engaged in
homosexual activity - passions picked up in public school.

KIM PHILBY was also the role model for Graham Greene's character in
"The Third Man" - Harry Lime, although it must be pointed put that
this is hotly disputed by a nobody-nerd from Nowhere, New York.

--

wlah...@gmail.com

nieprzeczytany,
12 wrz 2013, 23:30:4512.09.2013
do
On Thursday, September 12, 2013 11:16:27 PM UTC-4, Mack A. Damia wrote:

> KIM PHILBY was also the role model for Graham Greene's character in
> "The Third Man" - Harry Lime, although it must be pointed put that
> this is hotly disputed by a nobody-nerd from Nowhere, New York.

This is why you're an asshole. Your head is so filled with your delusions that nothing can penetrate the black-hole of trivia. I don't depute the idea -- although you citing an article that suggested Graham Greene wrote The Third Man to warn Philby is absolutely ridiculous -- although I seriously doubt it. Ultimately, the notion is irrelevant to the film and you are one of the insidiously stupid people that believes that accepting this trivia leads to some greater knowledge of the film. That being referential is a sign of intelligence and insight when in fact all it amounts to is a distraction with little or no value. It's similar to people referring to Orson Welles' cuckoo clock speech as the height of the movie even though Welles stole the speech and the Swiss didn't invent the cuckoo clock, the Germans did. Sometimes the hardest part of watching a film for what it is, is getting all the bullshit out of your head so you can just watch the film. That would never occur to a dimwitted knucklehead like yourself because you want to prattle on about trivia because I haven't seen a single interesting insight you've had about a film in all the years that I've been here.

cri...@windstream.net

nieprzeczytany,
12 wrz 2013, 23:59:2912.09.2013
do
On Thursday, September 12, 2013 11:16:27 PM UTC-4, Mack A. Damia wrote:
> Another brutal caning scene occurs in "Another Country" - loosely
> based on the young Guy Burgess ("Bennett" in the film) at an
> Eton-esque public school.
>
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086904/

I've seen that movie within the past year. The caning
wasn't especiually brutal physically, but the guy was
humiliated by it because he had been well in control
up to that point and had avoided such punishments because
he knew what was going on among the people trying to get
him. But he submitted to the caning in order to protect
someone he was in love with, and those administering the
caning knew that that was how they got him.

Mack A. Damia

nieprzeczytany,
13 wrz 2013, 00:26:0513.09.2013
do
Our definition of "brutal" is different. Haven't seen the film for
over ten years, but I seem to recall that it was a run-and-cane with
full-force, and Bennett could hardly walk after the caning.

British public schools not only bred homosexuality but sadism and
masochism as well.

Judge for yourself. Starts about 3:15. (poor quality video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3_RBqVIvFE

Also, if the OP puts "whipping" in the YouTube search window, he will
be rewarded.

--

don Gabacho

nieprzeczytany,
13 wrz 2013, 10:19:0913.09.2013
do
If Dana's Two Years Before The Mast was ever made into a film, its whipping scene would rate high. Not, as written by the author, for its goriness, rather than the platform it provided Dana for describing the greatest just cause for revolution ever written.

wlah...@gmail.com

nieprzeczytany,
13 wrz 2013, 10:26:2513.09.2013
do
On Friday, September 13, 2013 10:19:09 AM UTC-4, don Gabacho wrote:

> If Dana's Two Years Before The Mast was ever made into a film, its whipping scene would rate high. Not, as written by the author, for its goriness, rather than the platform it provided Dana for describing the greatest just cause for revolution ever written.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039056/combined

Joan in GB-W

nieprzeczytany,
13 wrz 2013, 12:31:1113.09.2013
do

"Bastette" wrote in message news:l0tu2d$l28$2...@dont-email.me...
==============================

I don't know if anyone mentioned this film, but in the movie "Lady Jane"
Jane was brutally whipped by her mother.

Mack A. Damia

nieprzeczytany,
13 wrz 2013, 12:44:2213.09.2013
do
On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 11:31:11 -0500, "Joan in GB-W" <jjk...@aol.com>
wrote:
Don't forget (sore) "Fanny and Alexander".

--

Bastette

nieprzeczytany,
13 wrz 2013, 20:45:0413.09.2013
do
Mack A. Damia wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 02:42:21 +0000 (UTC), Bastette
> <bastX...@sonic.net> wrote:

>>If (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063850/?ref_=fn_al_tt_6)

> Not certain if the OP is looking for general corporal punishment
> scenes or specifically those done with a whip. "If" is done with a
> cane.

I'll take your word for that as I've only seen the movie once, and that
was 40 years ago.

> Another brutal caning scene occurs in "Another Country" - loosely
> based on the young Guy Burgess ("Bennett" in the film) at an
> Eton-esque public school.

Oh, that's the film I was trying to remember. I knew there was another
boys' school story with a serious corporal punishment scene. Yesterday I
got it into my head that the movie I was thinking of was "School Ties",
which I watched last night. There was a lot of fighting (between students)
but no whips or canes. Lots of actors who later became famous, though.

Bastette

Mack A. Damia

nieprzeczytany,
14 wrz 2013, 17:07:0514.09.2013
do
On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 20:16:27 -0700, Mack A. Damia
<mybaco...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>KIM PHILBY was also the role model for Graham Greene's character in
>"The Third Man" - Harry Lime, although it must be pointed put that
>this is hotly disputed by a nobody-nerd from Nowhere, New York.

Then Willy burped.....

[...]
************************************

1. I never claimed that Greene wrote the article to warn Philby. I
posted the article as a reference to the fact that Harry Lime was
modeled after Kim Philby. Your suggestion is typical of your abstruse
way of reasoning; that is, to twist everything around and point out
irrelevant details to bolster your lack of insight.

2. I wrote somewhere else that Welles was not the originator of the
cuckoo clock speech. You haven't been paying attention - which is one
of your BIG problems in life. Everything is about YOU!

3. Nothing I have posted is irrelevant to the discussion - except in
the mind of a dim-witted, paranoid prat such as yourself. Trivia
exists - and is just as much a part of a film's discussion as anything
else. Lordy, you are a hopeless twerp!

--

cri...@windstream.net

nieprzeczytany,
14 wrz 2013, 19:59:5314.09.2013
do
On Saturday, September 14, 2013 5:07:05 PM UTC-4, Mack A. Damia wrote:
> 2. I wrote somewhere else that Welles was not the originator of the
> cuckoo clock speech. You haven't been paying attention - which is one
> of your BIG problems in life. Everything is about YOU!

Aside from your accurate perceptions of William, it should
be pointed out that the 'cuckoo clock speech' was not really
about who invented it, but about the fact that collectivists
don't accomplish nearly as much as individuals. In the
dystopian world of the book 'Anthem' there is a similar reference
to "the twenty illustrious men who had invented the candle."

Mack A. Damia

nieprzeczytany,
14 wrz 2013, 20:22:2714.09.2013
do
I propose that it is more along the lines of "uncertaintly" versus
"certainty". Uncertainty breeds revolution, creativity and innovation
whereas certainty breeds apathy and complacency.

Anyway, that's how I read the speech.

--

cri...@windstream.net

nieprzeczytany,
14 wrz 2013, 21:04:0114.09.2013
do
On the surface, the speech was about democracy vs.
other forms of governing, and democracy loses. I
don't see how you get 'certainty vs. uncertainty'
out of it. Here is Lime's actual speech:

"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly."

Mack A. Damia

nieprzeczytany,
14 wrz 2013, 21:13:5414.09.2013
do
"Warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed" spawns "uncertainty" among
the people, while "brotherly love"......"500 years of democracy and
peace" fosters certainty, don't you think?

--

cri...@windstream.net

nieprzeczytany,
14 wrz 2013, 21:33:4914.09.2013
do
On Saturday, September 14, 2013 9:13:54 PM UTC-4, Mack A. Damia wrote:

> >> I propose that it is more along the lines of "uncertaintly" versus
> >> "certainty". Uncertainty breeds revolution, creativity and innovation
> >> whereas certainty breeds apathy and complacency.
> >> Anyway, that's how I read the speech.
>
> >On the surface, the speech was about democracy vs.
> >other forms of governing, and democracy loses. I
> >don't see how you get 'certainty vs. uncertainty'
> >out of it. Here is Lime's actual speech:
>
> >"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for
> >30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed,
> >but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance.
> >In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy
> >and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly."
>
> "Warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed" spawns "uncertainty" among
> the people, while "brotherly love"......"500 years of democracy and
> peace" fosters certainty, don't you think?

I suppose so, but I'm not convinced that warfare, terror, murder,
and bloodshed are what lead to great works such as those of
Michelangelo and Leonardo.

I don't know where inventive and creative impulses
come from, however, but it seems to me that they
come more from concentrated sources than from diffuse
ones. You might write a great book, or your wife
might do so, but it seems much less likely that you
and she will write a great book together.

Mack A. Damia

nieprzeczytany,
14 wrz 2013, 21:53:2214.09.2013
do
It's the uncertainty that stimulates innovation, creativity and
revolution. This is what Harry is talking about - the present
situation re: post World War II and in Vienna with the four powers
sharing control - the uncertainty of life and what would happen.

>I don't know where inventive and creative impulses
>come from, however, but it seems to me that they
>come more from concentrated sources than from diffuse
>ones. You might write a great book, or your wife
>might do so, but it seems much less likely that you
>and she will write a great book together.

It's the "zeitgeist" - the spirit of the time. If you are not safe in
your own home, for instance, you are more likely to find ways of
making yourself safe - innovation and creativity. If you don't get
enough food to sustain you and your loved ones, you are apt to find
creative ways to get food, eh? Of course, Michaelangelo and Da Vinci
had enormous talent to begin with, but the "temper-of-the times"
brought out the very best in them.

Dr. Victor Frankl did not express his true creativity and genius until
he had experienced a Nazi concentration camp (Auschwitz) as an inmate.

--

lpis...@gmail.com

nieprzeczytany,
17 sty 2020, 14:38:0117.01.2020
do
There is a

weary flake

nieprzeczytany,
17 sty 2020, 15:28:5917.01.2020
do
On 2020-01-17 19:37:58 +0000, lpis...@gmail.com said:

> There is a

There is a whipping scene in the comedy Take The Money
And Run (1969), a shadow is brutally whipped.

Your Name

nieprzeczytany,
17 sty 2020, 15:47:5717.01.2020
do
There whipping scenes in some diner and cooking movies ... the humanity
of all that cream being whipped to within an inch of their lives is
disgusting. The censor people should be doing something about it. ;-)

Halmyre

nieprzeczytany,
20 sty 2020, 03:12:1920.01.2020
do
On Tuesday, July 29, 1997 at 8:00:00 AM UTC+1, Oslo Netfetter wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am once again asking for submissions of entries, pictures, and
> whatever else you can think of for my Whipping Scenes in Movies web
> site. The sit whould be up in a week or so, and I will make one final
> announcement at that time. Thanks to those who have already submitted
> entries. You know who you are and your input is greatly appreciated.
>
> Oslo

"Buggery on the High Seas", starring Eric Johns and Chuck U Farley.

jgbi...@gmail.com

nieprzeczytany,
28 mar 2020, 22:05:2028.03.2020
do
On Tuesday, July 29, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Oslo Netfetter wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am once again asking for submissions of entries, pictures, and
> whatever else you can think of for my Whipping Scenes in Movies web
> site. The sit whould be up in a week or so, and I will make one final
> announcement at that time. Thanks to those who have already submitted
> entries. You know who you are and your input is greatly appreciated.
>
> Oslo

are these available on DVD ?

Joe Bialek

nieprzeczytany,