Scorsese's "Age of Innocence"

Karen Patricia Offereins

Jun 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/8/96

I saw this film for the first time a couple weeks
ago, finally. And yes, I call myself a Scorsese fan. And as
much as I enjoyed the film, particularly the ability of the
film to remain damn well true to the book, the one thing I did
not understand was the name change of Archer's eldest son.
His name is Dallas in the book and Theodore (Ted) in the movie.
I don't understand why they would change something so miniscule.
Then again, *I'm* the one noticing. But I was wondering if someone
knew some specific reason for it. I mean, sure Dallas is an unusual
name for audiences in the 80s did it come out then? And Sean
Robert Leonard (I think that's his name) doesn't exactly look like
a Dallas, but STILL! Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Eugene Zhu Xia

Jun 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/9/96

Karen Patricia Offereins (fej...@cats.ucsc.edu) wrote:

: I saw this film for the first time a couple weeks

I must say that I hated this movie. A non-story about a bunch
of New York high society self-absorbed, snobby debutantes wasting
their lives hosting and attending parties. For these clowns,
the only cure is a swift spanking. Oh the cinematography
is so beautiful, but it only adds to the dredge. Two and
half hour of this is a real sentence.

Eugene

Matt Beckwith

Jun 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/9/96

I loved this film. The cinematography and direction are fabulous.

But its ending is so painful to watch. Many of Scorsese's films are
about self-destructiveness. He's a rather morbid person, I'll bet.

Teemu Likonen

Jun 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/10/96

I love it too. I actually think it's one of the best movies made.
Everything is so well done. But, I disagree with your opinion about the
ending. Liked it very much and it left just "the right feel" for me. It
fitted perfectly to the overall mood of the story. I hate all those
hollywood standard endings when, after little grief, everything is just
perfect and man meets woman and you know the rest. Not that I hate happy
endings. Not at all but if there's always the very same ending I find it
annoying. Of course, this is all IMHO stuff.

Maybe I'll read the book too. Hmm, I _will_ read the book.

(Any follow-ups will be directed to .past-films newsgroup.)

--
/// Teemu Likonen / tlik...@iwn.fi //
// Siilinjarvi, FINLAND / http://www.iwn.fi/~tlikonen/ ///

Marcello Tava

Jun 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/10/96
to Teemu Likonen

Teemu Likonen wrote:

> Matt Beckwith (beck...@jaxnet.com) wrote:
> > I loved this film.
>
> I love it too. I actually think it's one of the best movies made.
> Everything is so well done.
>
> Maybe I'll read the book too. Hmm, I _will_ read the book.

You have already done it. That film is full of words, words and
descriptions and descriptions and words and words and words and
descriptions. Where is the film after all? I've seen a book!!!

Marcello.

Bob Rodgers

Jun 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/10/96

e...@wam.umd.edu (Eugene Zhu Xia) wrote:
>: much as I enjoyed the film, particularly the ability of the
>: film to remain damn well true to the book, the one thing I did

>I must say that I hated this movie. A non-story about a bunch

>of New York high society self-absorbed, snobby debutantes wasting
>their lives hosting and attending parties. For these clowns,
>the only cure is a swift spanking. Oh the cinematography
>is so beautiful, but it only adds to the dredge. Two and
>half hour of this is a real sentence.

Like Karen said, it was damn true to the book. The book was boring,
self-absorbed trash written by a woman with nothing better to do than
to write about boring, silly, self-absorbed crap that made up her
life.

(No walker fan here).

------ http://www.wam.umd.edu/~rsrodger rsro...@wam.umd.edu -------

Peter Reiher

Jun 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/10/96

In article <4pb0c4$g...@darkstar.UCSC.EDU> fej...@cats.ucsc.edu (Karen Patricia Offereins) writes:

> I saw this film for the first time a couple weeks
>ago, finally. And yes, I call myself a Scorsese fan. And as
>much as I enjoyed the film, particularly the ability of the
>film to remain damn well true to the book, the one thing I did
>not understand was the name change of Archer's eldest son.
>His name is Dallas in the book and Theodore (Ted) in the movie.
>I don't understand why they would change something so miniscule.

I suspect that the average American thinks of "Dallas" as a first name
suitable only for a soap opera character. Hearing it used (fairly
casually) as the name of an upper-class New Yorker in the 19th century
would sound jarring to the modern ear, even if it was a perfectly
plausible name in the actual era. Since the name wasn't key to anything
in the film, they probably changed it just to avoid a few giggles in
the audience.

--
Peter Reiher
rei...@wells.cs.ucla.edu

Teemu Likonen

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

Marcello Tava (ta...@irs.uni-stuttgart.de) wrote:

> Teemu Likonen wrote:
> > Maybe I'll read the book too. Hmm, I _will_ read the book.

> You have already done it. That film is full of words, words and
> descriptions and descriptions and words and words and words and
> descriptions. Where is the film after all? I've seen a book!!!

It was very book like, yes. And it seems that you didn't like it because
of that, but for me, it is maybe why I _do_ like it. One of those rare
movies that make me forget that I am watching a movie. Many things in
"mainstream" (whatever it means) movies have been seen so damn often that
I practically fall down from the movie world to the seat of the theatre
when such things happen. And it gets a while to get back. But Age of
Innocent was very different. IMHO of course.

HUME

Jun 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/12/96

Eugene Zhu Xia (e...@wam.umd.edu) wrote:

: I must say that I hated this movie. A non-story about a bunch

: of New York high society self-absorbed, snobby debutantes wasting
: their lives hosting and attending parties. For these clowns,
: the only cure is a swift spanking. Oh the cinematography

But that was the point! To portray the rigidity and decadence of late
1800s high society life in NY.

Also about two individuals who, for the sake of not disrupting the cycle,
conformed to the expectations of others.

Eugene Zhu Xia

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96

HUME (ver...@well.com) wrote:

If the story were about how the "rigidity and decadence of late
1800s high society life" crushes and destroys individuals with noble
inspirations and ideals, then it would have been worth watching.
The problem is that the "two individuals" are just as shallow,
self-absorbed and without ideas (even a small and misguided
one would be nice) let alone ideals. So why should anybody care?

Eugene

larry ward

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96

During a movie in the cinema, I usually eat popcorn or nachos with a drink of
iced tea or Slice. At home I usually eat ice cream, cookies, or cereal.
For no good reason, I'm curious about what people eat during movies.

larry ward

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96

Well, I'm getting tired if the opposite thread I made up "movies spoiled by
unnecessary nudity" so I decided to start this. Some movies with tasteful sex
(or just nude) scenes I've seen are MAN FACING SOUTHEAST, THE WATERDANCE,
SCHINDLER'S LIST, etc. If anyone could recommend movies with tasteful sex
scenes, please do so.

larry ward

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96

If anyone could recommend some movies with loud nose-blowing scenes, I'd
really appreciate it.

Joshua Kamm

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96

In article <llward.19...@primenet.com>, llw...@primenet.com (larry
ward) wrote:

Pretzel and nacho cheese. My mouth waters at the bare thought.

--
"If you ever need anything please don't
Hesitate to ask someone else first."

Joshua Kamm pri...@primenet.com

Minuteman

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

In article <llward.19...@primenet.com> llw...@primenet.com (larry ward) writes:

>During a movie in the cinema, I usually eat popcorn or nachos with a drink of
>iced tea or Slice. At home I usually eat ice cream, cookies, or cereal.
>For no good reason, I'm curious about what people eat during movies.

Junior Mints are the quintessential movie theater snack, IMHO. I usually eat
them really slow, half a mint at a time to make them last longer. I don't
really like any of the other candy they have for sale at theaters (Milk Duds,
Twizzlers, Dots, etc.)

James Carretta

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

larry ward (llw...@primenet.com) wrote:
: Well, I'm getting tired if the opposite thread I made up "movies spoiled by

The Piano, Leaving Las Vegas (the scenes with Cage and Shue), Rambling
Rose

esiena

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

On Jun 19, 1996 03:58:19 in article <Re: Movies with tasteful sex scenes>,

'ez05...@chip.ucdavis.edu (James Carretta)' wrote:

>If anyone could recommend movies with tasteful sex
>: scenes, please do so.

THE BIG EASY, BULL DURHAM, TWO MOON JUNCTION, HENRY AND JUNE (lots in that
one :P )

What's your definition of 'tasteful'?

I like the spoof on sex scenes in Ace Ventura and Naked Gun, too.

esiena

Constance Kuriyama

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

In a previous article, llw...@primenet.com (larry ward) says:

>If anyone could recommend some movies with loud nose-blowing scenes, I'd
>really appreciate it.

There must be plenty, but I can't recall an outstanding one.

The best-modulated and best-timed nose-blowing I ever heard of in a movie
came from the audience.

My mother used to complain that when she first went to see _Gone With
the Wind_, some clown punctuated Melanie's death scene with a thundrous
nose-blast. Virtually everyone but my mother thought it was hilarious.

Connie K.
--

"Words can defeat the imagination." --Charlie Chaplin

Steven Pirie-Shepherd

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

esiena (esi...@usa.pipeline.com) wrote:
: On Jun 19, 1996 03:58:19 in article <Re: Movies with tasteful sex scenes>,

: 'ez05...@chip.ucdavis.edu (James Carretta)' wrote:
:
:
: >If anyone could recommend movies with tasteful sex
: >: scenes, please do so.
:

Mad Dog and Glory..the scene between Uma and Robert..pretty honest and
truthfull. You felt the sweat!

Steven Pirie-Shepherd
sr...@galactose.mc.duke.edu
"Insert your own pithy phrase just about here!"

Reg Martin

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

larry ward (llw...@primenet.com) wrote:
: During a movie in the cinema, I usually eat popcorn or nachos with a drink of
: iced tea or Slice. At home I usually eat ice cream, cookies, or cereal.
: For no good reason, I'm curious about what people eat during movies.

Nothing! How can you pay attention to a movie when you're busy stuffing
your face with popcorn?

(Not a flame, it's my real answer) :)

Reg Martin

Denise Perry

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

In article <llward.19...@primenet.com> llw...@primenet.com (larry ward) writes:
>From: llw...@primenet.com (larry ward)
>Subject: Things you eat during movies (cinema or at home)
>Date: 18 Jun 1996 19:27:02 -0700

>During a movie in the cinema, I usually eat popcorn or nachos with a drink of
>iced tea or Slice. At home I usually eat ice cream, cookies, or cereal.
>For no good reason, I'm curious about what people eat during movies.

Usually a coke/pepsi to drink, if the kids are with me - popcorn, if not - I
like to get a roll of Sweetarts. If I want to leave with a headache (too much
sugar), I eat Raisinets.

Denise Perry WILL Radio
Internet: dpe...@uiuc.edu 810 S. Wright St. Rm 228
Phone: (217) 333-0850 Urbana, IL 61801

"We're public broadcasting; we put the 'fun' in dysfunctional!"
- PBS President Ervin Duggan

Denise Perry

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

In article <llward.20...@primenet.com> llw...@primenet.com (larry ward) writes:
>From: llw...@primenet.com (larry ward)
>Subject: Movies with loud nose blowing scenes
>Date: 18 Jun 1996 19:34:02 -0700

>If anyone could recommend some movies with loud nose-blowing scenes, I'd
>really appreciate it.

Hot Shots, Part Deux.

Chris Grout

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

Braveheart. With Muron because its true love, and with the Princess
because it is what she was been missing from her marriage.

Chris Grout
aka Ceege
Abstentions Summer Manager
RRRA Programmer
Carleton University
Email address: cgr...@chat.carleton.ca

"Your best? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f**k
the prom queen."
-Sean Connery as John Mason in "The Rock"

Chris Grout

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

larry ward (llw...@primenet.com) wrote:
> If anyone could recommend some movies with loud nose-blowing scenes, I'd
> really appreciate it.

Hot Shots Part Deux, when Charlie Sheen is comforting Miguel Ferrer and
gets him to be able to kill again. I'm not sure if you are looking for
actual nose-blowing scenes or comedic ones. Another one could be the
Brachiosaurus in Jurassic Park.

The Laughing Madcap

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

Depends upon the nature of the film and with whom I am watching it,
and how much privacy we have.

+http://www.cswnet.com/~twebb/cafewest.htm
+The Woody Allen FAQ: http://www.cswnet.com/~twebb/woodyfaq.htm
+If you'd like to receive The Paleontologist(a quarterly Classic Rock newsletter)
free via e-mail, send me a message. Back issues are available at
http://www.cswnet.com/~twebb/clasrock.htm

Andrew Krszinski

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

In article <4q6se6$5...@cville-srv.wam.umd.edu>,

e...@wam.umd.edu (Eugene Zhu Xia) wrote:

Exactly.

Jennifer

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

larry ward wrote:

> During a movie in the cinema, I usually eat popcorn or nachos with a drink of
> iced tea or Slice. At home I usually eat ice cream, cookies, or cereal.
> For no good reason, I'm curious about what people eat during movies.

Twizzlers are a must. Popcorn and Sprite are optional. Milk Duds used
to be my favorite, but I can't get past the calorie count!
Jennifer

Gordan Miller

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

larry ward (llw...@primenet.com) wrote:
: During a movie in the cinema, I usually eat popcorn or nachos with a drink of
: iced tea or Slice. At home I usually eat ice cream, cookies, or cereal.
: For no good reason, I'm curious about what people eat during movies.

Pussy, if we can get it.

Elee43

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

ez05...@chip.ucdavis.edu (James Carretta)' wrote:
>If anyone could recommend movies with tasteful sex
>scenes, please do so.

My choices would include:
'A Summer Story' (James Wilby & Imogen Stubbs)
'Falling in Love' (Meryl Streep & Robert De Niro)
'Ryans' Daughter' (Sarah Miles & Robert Mitchum)
'Doctor Zhivago' (Omar Sharif & Julie Christie)

Elee
"I wrote the story myself. It's all about a girl who lost her reputation
but never missed it."
--Mae West.

Robert W. Hall

Jun 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/20/96
|> Nothing! How can you pay attention to a movie when you're busy stuffing
|> your face with popcorn?
|>
|> (Not a flame, it's my real answer) :)

.. at home I tend to do ice cream, Doritos, Pizza & cola/Mt Dew, cookies,
peanuts (esp. peanuts!).

In the theatre, usually nothing (too expensive) or occasionally popcorn and
cola or a sneaked-in candy bar.. ;-) Last month, I was at this cool theatre
in Chicago with buddies and we had beer and nachos while watching the movie!

Beer in a movie theatre-- great concept.
--
Robert W. Hall rh...@eecs.umich.edu http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~rhall
Software Systems Research Laboratory

Matt Martinez

Jun 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/20/96

Reg Martin wrote:

> larry ward (llw...@primenet.com) wrote:
> : During a movie in the cinema, I usually eat popcorn or nachos with a drink of
> : iced tea or Slice. At home I usually eat ice cream, cookies, or cereal.
> : For no good reason, I'm curious about what people eat during movies.
>
> Nothing! How can you pay attention to a movie when you're busy stuffing
> your face with popcorn?

I don't eat anything, but I especially don't drink anything. How can you
concentrate when your bladder's about ready to explode?

--

Matt

This is my anti-sig file.

The Laughing Madcap

Jun 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/20/96

Only coming through in waves, mart...@mach1.wlu.ca (Reg Martin)
wrote:

>Nothing! How can you pay attention to a movie when you're busy stuffing
>your face with popcorn?

Am I the only sourpuss that hates it when some jerk spends the entire
movie grazing on a box of popcorn where I can hear it?

Doug Tricarico

Jun 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/20/96

Add my name to the list... I HATE the constant munching, crunching,
slurping and burping the pigs around me indulge in. It's a MOVIE, not a
buffet.

PJK

Jun 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/20/96

In article <4qbr75$p...@mailgate.lexis-nexis.com>,
on 20 Jun 1996 15:37:09 GMT,

OK, so who started selling p'corn etc. at movies? When I was little (50's) the
average movie was 1 1/2 hrs long so wouldn't you think people could make it
through even a double feature without eating something. Was it at first a
gimmick?

Pjk

PJK

Jun 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/20/96

In article <dperry.256...@uiuc.edu>,
on Wed, 19 Jun 1996 12:49:13,

Denise Perry <dpe...@uiuc.edu> writes:
>In article <llward.20...@primenet.com> llw...@primenet.com (larry ward) writes:
>>From: llw...@primenet.com (larry ward)
>>Subject: Movies with loud nose blowing scenes
>>Date: 18 Jun 1996 19:34:02 -0700
>
>>If anyone could recommend some movies with loud nose-blowing scenes, I'd
>>really appreciate it.
>
>Hot Shots, Part Deux.
>

>Denise Perry WILL Radio
>Internet: dpe...@uiuc.edu 810 S. Wright St. Rm 228
>Phone: (217) 333-0850 Urbana, IL 61801
>
>"We're public broadcasting; we put the 'fun' in dysfunctional!"
>- PBS President Ervin Duggan

I can't help it. Nose blowing reminds me of sneezes and sneezes reminds me of
Groucho and Harpo in the midget's room on the trin in A Night at the Circus.
Harpo sneezes and completely obliterates the room.

Pjk

steve

Jun 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/20/96

In article <4qabfp$r...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, ele...@aol.com (Elee43) says:

>ez05...@chip.ucdavis.edu (James Carretta)' wrote:
>>If anyone could recommend movies with tasteful sex
>>scenes, please do so.

N.Roeg's "Don't Look Now"

Classic scene.

The Laughing Madcap

Jun 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/20/96

Only coming through in waves, pet...@vnet.ibm.com (PJK) wrote:

>>Add my name to the list... I HATE the constant munching, crunching,
>>slurping and burping the pigs around me indulge in. It's a MOVIE, not a
>>buffet.
>
>OK, so who started selling p'corn etc. at movies? When I was little (50's) the
>average movie was 1 1/2 hrs long so wouldn't you think people could make it
>through even a double feature without eating something. Was it at first a
>gimmick?

And why popcorn? Could they not find any noisier food?

+http://www.cswnet.com/~twebb/cafewest.htm
+The Woody Allen FAQ: http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/6663/woodyfaq.htm

+If you'd like to receive The Paleontologist(a quarterly Classic Rock newsletter)
free via e-mail, send me a message. Back issues are available at

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/6663/clasrock.htm

Kenneth Crudup

Jun 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/20/96

In article <despindl.1...@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu>,
desp...@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu (Minuteman) says:

>I don't really like any of the other candy they have for sale at theaters
>(Milk Duds, Twizzlers, Dots, etc.)

:-O !

"Sour Patch Kids" rO0O00l3!!!!!!

-Kenny

--
Kenneth R. Crudup, Unix & OS/2 Software Consultant, Scott County Consulting
ke...@panix.com CI$: 75032,3044 +1 617 524 5929/4949 Home/Office

Stephan Eichenberg

Jun 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/20/96

bq...@yfn.ysu.edu (Constance Kuriyama) writes:

>In a previous article, llw...@primenet.com (larry ward) says:

>>If anyone could recommend some movies with loud nose-blowing scenes, I'd
>>really appreciate it.

>There must be plenty, but I can't recall an outstanding one.

What about Broadway Melody of 1938 ?
Robert Wildhack explaining the holething scientificly with examples
He explained snoring the same way in Broadway Melody of 1936

Stephan Eichenberg
http://129.187.121.1/~eichenbe
M"unchen, Germany

Lee S. Bumgarner

Jun 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/21/96

esiena (esi...@usa.pipeline.com) wrote:
> On Jun 19, 1996 03:58:19 in article <Re: Movies with tasteful sex scenes>,
> 'ez05...@chip.ucdavis.edu (James Carretta)' wrote:
>
> >If anyone could recommend movies with tasteful sex
> >: scenes, please do so.
>
> THE BIG EASY, BULL DURHAM, TWO MOON JUNCTION, HENRY AND JUNE (lots in that
> one :P )

Yeah, that last one does have a lot of very, um, interesting sex, don't
it. Sea of Love was GREAT! (yet I must say, I've found myself of late
being tired with gratioutous sex in movies. When I went to see
Empire Records {for free} I even yelled out loud when Liv stripped out
to her skivies "And now for the obligatory pantie scene!")

-l

__
Undertoad: http://falcon.jmu.edu/~bumgarls/ "Klaatu barada nictow" * "Usenet
is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea -- massive, difficult to
redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind-boggling amounts
of excrement when you least expect it. " --sp...@cs.purdue.edu (1992) * Jesus
loves you, but everyone else thinks you're an asshole * Usenet is forever

Dave Sanborn

Jun 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/21/96

: > larry ward (llw...@primenet.com) wrote:
: > : During a movie in the cinema, I usually eat popcorn or nachos with a drink of
: > : iced tea or Slice. At home I usually eat ice cream, cookies, or cereal.
: > : For no good reason, I'm curious about what people eat during movies.
: >

If it's a flick that I'm not expecting much from, M&Ms. That way, if the
movie gets boring, I can have fun using them as projectiles. (Yeah, yeah,
yeah, frown upon my deviant behavior if you must, but you KNOW that you've
thrown food at some point in your life.)

--
@@@@@@@@@@@ David Sanborn
@@@@@@@@@@@@@ Computer Science, Syracuse University

M Adam

Jun 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/21/96

>In article <4qabfp$r...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, ele...@aol.com (Elee43) says:
>>

>>ez05...@chip.ucdavis.edu (James Carretta)' wrote:
>>>If anyone could recommend movies with tasteful sex
>>>scenes, please do so.

"Devil in the Flesh"
"36 Fillette"

Hehe..

marjo

Jun 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/21/96

In article <llward.20...@primenet.com>, llw...@primenet.com (larry ward) says:

>Well, I'm getting tired if the opposite thread I made up "movies spoiled by
>unnecessary nudity" so I decided to start this. Some movies with tasteful sex
>(or just nude) scenes I've seen are MAN FACING SOUTHEAST, THE WATERDANCE,
>SCHINDLER'S LIST, etc. If anyone could recommend movies with tasteful sex
>scenes, please do so.

marjo
ma...@midwest.net

Well, I didn't think it was tasteless, but not sure about tasteful,
however, the BEST sex scene I ever saw was the opening of "Betty Blue."
a marvelous experience, in fact, I found myself laughing out loud it was
so delightful...most of the sex scenes in that movie were (delightful,
I mean).

The Ref

Jun 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/21/96

I don't eat anything during a movie, since after 45 minutes of trailers,
no smoking/talking/littering/come buy something at our concession stand
info, MoviePhone commercials, donation commercial/collection, etc., I've
finished my Sour Patch Kids and my drink.

By the way, I think that the most unecessary of the above is the "Come
buy something at our concession stand" information.

1) Didn't people see the snack counter on their way in? (I know that
some people are completely stupid, but, c'mon... what person is going to
see this and say, "OOooooh! I didn't know that you could buy food here!")

2) The morons that *do* get up at this point won't return until after the
feature has begun, thus annoying everyone already engrossed in the film.

|Tavis | tlar...@acs.bu.edu |
|Larkham | http://acs4.bu.edu:8001/~tlarkham|
|________________|____________________________________|

VMass75274

Jun 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/21/96

How about Jack Lemmon's loud, ubnoxious head clearing noises in "The Odd
Couple." Walter Matthau's reactions are absolutely priceless and are some
of the funniest scenes ever put to film

Vince
is as close
to Oscar Maddison
as anyone can get

The Laughing Madcap

Jun 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/21/96

I grew up with the tv in the kitchen/diningroom/den, so when I watch a
movie on tv (or just a show those rare times I watch tv shows), I
always get the munchies.

I was the oldest of 5 kids, so we couldn't afford to waste money at
the concession stand, so when I go to a theatre I don't feel like
eating anything.

Of course we would bring our own food and drinks to the drive-in, but
pizza and a 6-pack are essential for a drive-in anyway.

larry ward

Jun 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/21/96

In article <dperry.255...@uiuc.edu> dpe...@uiuc.edu (Denise Perry) writes:
>From: dpe...@uiuc.edu (Denise Perry)
>Subject: Re: Things you eat during movies (cinema or at home)
>Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 12:48:35

>In article <llward.19...@primenet.com> llw...@primenet.com (larry ward)

>writes:
>>From: llw...@primenet.com (larry ward)

>>Subject: Things you eat during movies (cinema or at home)
>>Date: 18 Jun 1996 19:27:02 -0700

>>During a movie in the cinema, I usually eat popcorn or nachos with a drink of
>>iced tea or Slice. At home I usually eat ice cream, cookies, or cereal.
>>For no good reason, I'm curious about what people eat during movies.

>Usually a coke/pepsi to drink, if the kids are with me - popcorn, if not - I
>like to get a roll of Sweetarts. If I want to leave with a headache (too much
>sugar), I eat Raisinets.

I only eat Raisinets if I want to leave with gas! Yes, I can just picture it.
I finish a box of Raisinets and then I stink up the theater!

larry ward

Jun 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/21/96

>Add my name to the list... I HATE the constant munching, crunching,
>slurping and burping the pigs around me indulge in. It's a MOVIE, not a
>buffet.

Yes, but when I see a movie in the theater, most of the people are done eating
by the time the coming attractions are over.

larry ward

Jun 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/21/96

In article <4q90on$i...@news1.t1.usa.pipeline.com> esi...@usa.pipeline.com(esiena) writes:
>From: esi...@usa.pipeline.com(esiena)
>Subject: Re: Movies with tasteful sex scenes
>Date: 19 Jun 1996 13:53:27 GMT

>On Jun 19, 1996 03:58:19 in article <Re: Movies with tasteful sex scenes>,
>'ez05...@chip.ucdavis.edu (James Carretta)' wrote:
>

>>If anyone could recommend movies with tasteful sex
>>: scenes, please do so.
>

>THE BIG EASY, BULL DURHAM, TWO MOON JUNCTION, HENRY AND JUNE (lots in that
>one :P )
>

>What's your definition of 'tasteful'?

My definition of "tasteful" is a scene in which the people having sex really
love each other, instead of just for the heck of it. I also don't mind
untasteful sex scenes as long as its part of the story.

dbru...@muvms6.wvnet.edu

Jun 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/21/96

In article <4q99g9$8...@news.ysu.edu>, bq...@yfn.ysu.edu (Constance Kuriyama) writes:
> In a previous article, llw...@primenet.com (larry ward) says:
>
>>If anyone could recommend some movies with loud nose-blowing scenes, I'd
>>really appreciate it.
>
> There must be plenty, but I can't recall an outstanding one.

In MEPHISTO the Jewish theater owner blows his nose during a meeting with the
actors.

--

"Do you recognize my voice, Mandrake?"

Abbott Wang

Jun 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/22/96

larry ward (llw...@primenet.com) wrote:

: Yes, but when I see a movie in the theater, most of the people are done eating

: by the time the coming attractions are over.

Good point.
I usually get a large drink, and MM's. I usually finish the MM by the
time the previews are over, and then i can concentrate o nthe main
attraction, with a pepsi on standy in case i get thirsty.
laters
ABb

Dixon Hayes

Jun 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/22/96

What about "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"?

--Dixon Hayes

Dixon Hayes

Jun 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/22/96

Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

--Dixon Hayes

RBenner801

Jun 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/22/96

Can this really be a Martin Scorsese picture? Based on Edith Wharton's
novel about hypocritical American upper-class adoption of European
sophistication, "The Age of Innocence" at first glances might seem the
product of James Ivory and Ismail Merchant. Made in honor of one of
Scorsese's favorite movies "The Heiress," and designed by Dante Ferretti,
"Age" could also pass as a vision by Luchino Visconti, John De Cuir or
John Box, and there's an undeniable resemblance to Ingmar Bergman's "Fanny
and Alexander." Like Bergman's feast, Scorsese's is so fancy and rich in
detail -- everything's splashed as layouts from Architectural Digest and
Gourmet magazines -- that you could get woozy and may have to hit the
smelling salts. But in perhaps the only touch of modernity that Scorsese
risks in this his most audacious movie is that he allows the unrequited
love between Wharton's soon-to-be-married Newland Archer and the
rumored-to-be-loose Countess Ellen Olenska to not only sadden but also
anger us. This isn't just a story or picture about stifling customs of
denial or high society values; it's a story and picture about our
hypocrisy over values -- relinquishing ourselves to others' demands of
imperatives we don't believe in. The gamble for Scorsese is that he didn't
give in to what the movie audience is longing for -- the coming together
of Countess Olenska and Newland Archer. Had he done so, only the purists
would have howled, because our feelings of distrust for the dictates of
others are blood-raw right now. That's why the conclusion gets to us in
ways we're not prepared for: we can feel the pain in what the two doomed
lovers are forced not to do -- that there would be no real shame in
flaunting social regard, especially in that divorce was already legally
sanctioned by the state at the time. "The Age of Innocence" is a march to
folly, and in his only truly fine scenes, coming at a bon voyage dinner
and at the end, Daniel Day-Lewis, as Newland, forces us to grieve for his
loss, his own lack of courage.

The prestigious Day-Lewis may look like he belongs in period costume, but
he's quite suited for Newland. No one can call him bad, but he's mostly
unaffecting -- until, of course, the conclusion. He seems disassembled --
parts of him are there in a corner, weak and prissy and always it seems on
the verge of tears; parts of him seem disbelievingly mansion-sized
self-assured; parts of him simply don't make sense -- like defending
Countess Olenska in the first third of the story and then later denying
himself the pleasures of his conquest. (We're talking about a 1870s New
York City, so did no lust-filled snob ever utilize the city's largeness as
a cloak of privacy?) Some of his scenes with Pfeiffer bring to mind Jeremy
Irons' Charles Smithson in "The French Lieutenant's Woman." Day-Lewis can
be all of many things, and all at once, because he's one of the few very
physically thin actors who imparts evolutionary credence; his frame has
the uncanny ability to transmogrify itself. Yet, in too many recent
movies, he's endlessly posing, alternately as a still life of agony and an
insufferable smoothie, dangerously self-satisfied with his own reflection.
The way in which Scorsese and cinematographer Michael Ballhaus defer to
him here in "Age" -- and it starts with the very first shot of him -- I
don't think it's at all too early to consider that, in what may be his
"artistry," he's becoming the movies' most accomplished con. (David
Strathairn would have been my choice for Newland.)

If Day-Lewis wallows too much, Pfeiffer keeps her wits about her and does
what she didn't quite succeed in doing in "Dangerous Liaisons" -- get us
to believe she belongs in antique melodrama. Her voice is the key: it has
that slightly pitched quality that happens to women of leisure, women who
resign, though maybe not privately accept, that they're chattel to be
displayed as pretty possessions. Ten years ago, Meryl Streep would have
played this part but her voice, so theatrically calibrated, might have
betrayed the novelist. (Even if unintentional, Pfeiffer honors Streep by
pirating Sarah Woodruff's curly do.) Olenska has a bit of Wharton in her,
in that the novelist was likewise strapped by a loveless marriage, and in
Olenska is a homage to one of Henry James' leading ladies in "The
Bostonians" -- Verena, the young, red-haired feminist spitfire. But
Pfeiffer borrows from neither: this is her own portrait of a woman
accepting defeat by convention and patronage. It's a performance built by
mystery; there's no way for us to gauge her inner-feelings about the
events by which she's stoically forced into acquiescence. Only once does
the performance lose focus: in a living room, she's smoking but the
cigarette doesn't appear to be lit and when she exhales, no smoke comes
out. (In "Dangerous Liaisons," Pfeiffer, enduring medicinal therapies
rented from Ken Russell's "The Devils," seemed nearly out of her league
against Glenn Close's "virtuoso of deceit." Sublimely controlled as she
dons her war paint, Close out-Sondergaards Gale Sondergaard and not even
John Malkovich's devilishly puffed-up wanton can match her merciless glaze
-- wouldn't she make a fab Madame Ming? As a result, save for a wonderful
scene or two, Pfeiffer elicits a strange, unwarranted sympathy; you tend
to want to forget she's even in the picture because she's so breathy with
a fatal lovesickness that she infects you with a nervousness that
engenders suspicion: when sexless Malkovitch slices away at Close with the
killer revelation that finally bagging Pfeiffer was "total mutal
delirium," you feel you're being made a fool.) Out of Dickens, and crossed
with Aunt Pittypat from "GWTW," Miriam Margolyes gets the best laugh as
moneybags Mrs. Manson Mingott. Looking none too well, the late Alexis
Smith is New York's numero uno grand dame and had she been aided by a more
sensitive makeup artist, she'd have passed for Wharton. (This small part
quite a contrast to Miss Smith's last TV role -- as Rebecca's former
school teacher who still has enough sexual power to charge Sam's batteries
in "Cheers".) Chubby in the face, Mary Beth Hurt is nearly unrecognizable
as Mrs. Beaufort. As her philandering cad of a husband, Stuart Wilson
could be doing a tribute to Rod Steiger's Komarovsky from "Doctor
Zhivago." Last, but not least (because of the rest of the supporting cast
is very good), there's Winona Ryder. The conniving May will only succeed
if Ryder can -- and does -- pull off the despising entrapment.

In "Maugham," biographer Ted Morgan writes that W. Somerset "was
exasperated by the rightness and exactness of everything Edith Wharton
said." He was particularly out of joint by her usage of the word "no," for
he "had never heard a more frigid syllable of disapproval." Maugham
snarled, "Her manner was that of a woman to whom a man has made proposals
offensive to her modesty, but which good breeding tells her it will be
more dignified to ignore than to make a scene about." Indeed, the very
essence of Wharton as social prisoner and writer: she was on the side of
the expression of love and sex but never had much guts to engage in
either. Perhaps Wharton was poisoned by her mother's frigidity, which
might also have helped make her the anti-feminist she appeared to be, in
that she opposed education of women for high professions, didn't exercise
her right to vote, nor bothered to invite other women to social parties
she threw. Maybe she was further poisoned by her supposed love affair with
bisexual Morton Fullerton. (A recent biographer suggests Wharton was both
homophobic and anti-Semitic, and disapproved of such writers as Joyce and
Lawrence; one wonders if she was truly aware of mentor Henry James'
predilections.) It's this Victorian vengeance in her writing that's sadly
painful for audiences watching "Age": she's compulsive about punishing her
fictional lovers. (She punished them in "Ethan Frome," too.) Scorsese
caught this, but he didn't do it alone: Time critic Jay Cocks ferreted out
the Wharton upbraidings and helped shape them into a screenplay that not
only envenoms denied passions but also exalts the power of words. This is
what's surprising about the movie: in the past we've come to expect that
we're going to get short-changed when the classics come to screen --
images over words or vice versa, debatable truncation. It's thrilling to
not only hear the text captured with this much respect, but to see the
images come close to matching the era is almost unnerving: included are
reel life versions of Georges Seurat's "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island
of La Grande Jatte" and winter scenes by Richard Hartmann and Childe
Hassam. And there's a happy marriage of editing and text: Thelma
Schoonmaker (who gets her name plastered as an advertisement within the
movie) lays on montages of messages and invitations that enhance the art
of personal writing. (Experts in communication believed that on-line
services might resurrect this art form; it turns out that bbs & e-mail &
uploads have degenerated into "it sucks" brevity.) "The Age of Innocence"
is so respectful of Wharton that her running commentary is voiced over by
Joanne Woodward, caught as if parenthetical privacies whispered for our
ears only. As Scorsese's first foray into the genre of American period
piece, he picked material close to home: his two lovers are ruled by a
class snobbery not too much unlike the sociopaths and goons who rule over
their victims in his charged-up modern Americana. The central difference,
of course, is that there are no bloody corpses as pornography, though one
could argue the lavish spreads of settings and food in "Age" are rather
porno-ish in their arbitrariness. Yet that's part of the appeal of
Wharton: as much as she's criticizing the social dictums by which her
characters are forced to live, she's trapped them in orgies of addicting
lushness. The only damn thing wrong with this fancy feast is that after it
ended, I felt like sneaking into a Weight Watchers meeting.

-- Ralph Benner

larry ward

Jun 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/22/96

In article <1996Jun21.201241.1@muvms6> dbru...@muvms6.wvnet.edu writes:
>Subject: Re: Movies with loud nose blowing scenes
>From: dbru...@muvms6.wvnet.edu
>Date: 21 Jun 96 20:12:41 EDT

Yes. Now that you mention it, I remember that scene!

CJ

Jun 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/22/96

The Laughing Madcap wrote:

> Only coming through in waves, pet...@vnet.ibm.com (PJK) wrote:
>
>>Add my name to the list... I HATE the constant munching, crunching,
>>slurping and burping the pigs around me indulge in. It's a MOVIE, not a
>>buffet.

> And why popcorn? Could they not find any noisier food?

Well they needed to find something that the Goths & Phillistines
could utilize as a percussion instrument (maracas, perhaps?). . . packed
'em in a box. . . and then called them Milk Duds & Ju-Ju Bees.

madse004

Jun 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/22/96

In article <4qgnc3$b...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, rbenn...@aol.com
(RBenner801) wrote:

This isn't just a story or picture about stifling customs of
> denial or high society values; it's a story and picture about our
> hypocrisy over values -- relinquishing ourselves to others' demands of
> imperatives we don't believe in.

"The Age of Innocence" is a march to
> folly, and in his only truly fine scenes, coming at a bon voyage dinner
> and at the end, Daniel Day-Lewis, as Newland, forces us to grieve for his
> loss, his own lack of courage.

How differently interpretation of a piece of work can vary between
observers. I got the distinct impression that the 'innocence' referred to
in this movie was Newland Archer's. I felt that there was rampant
manipulation on the part of all the women in his life, not just from
society. Why else does Ellen not turn around when the ship passes the
lighthouse even though she knows Newland is there? Newland is a romantic,
he loves the parasol because he thinks it is Ellen's. Even though Newland
may "lack courage" he is thwarted in determining his own desires because
of this manipulation.

> The prestigious Day-Lewis may look like he belongs in period costume, but
> he's quite suited for Newland. No one can call him bad, but he's mostly
> unaffecting -- until, of course, the conclusion. He seems disassembled --
> parts of him are there in a corner, weak and prissy and always it seems on
> the verge of tears; parts of him seem disbelievingly mansion-sized
> self-assured; parts of him simply don't make sense -- like defending
> Countess Olenska in the first third of the story and then later denying
> himself the pleasures of his conquest.

Perhaps you are confusing the actor with the part. Archer seems to be a
fragmented character, only coming together as he ages. He wants to be
sophisticated and worldly but is in a repressive society whose dictates he
feels he must follow.

>in what may be his
> "artistry," he's becoming the movies' most accomplished con.

Isn't acting a "con"? I still believe, given the range of roles that Day
Lewis has attempted, that he is an amazing actor. Too many actors play the
same character over and over, unfortunately some of the better actors who
don't play the same character are misunderstood because the audience gets
confused. Maybe that's why Cruise, Gibson, Arnold, Stallone and others of
the ilk are so popular. Like McDonalds you always know what you're going
to get!

Kenneth Hackney

Jun 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/22/96

>Add my name to the list... I HATE the constant munching, crunching,
>slurping and burping the pigs around me indulge in. It's a MOVIE, not >a buffet.

Ditto! Unfortunately, I cannot escape it unless I go alone. My family
insist on popcorn, cherry sours, and raisinettes.

VMass75274

Jun 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/22/96

A big bag of cheese doodles(Snyder's) and a two litter bottle of coke at
home. In the theatre I don't. I refuse to spend four bucks for a bag of
popcorn I can get anywhere else for fifty cents.

JeryCo

Jun 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/22/96

Denise Perry wrote:

> In article <llward.20...@primenet.com> llw...@primenet.com (larry ward) writes:
> >From: llw...@primenet.com (larry ward)
> >Subject: Movies with loud nose blowing scenes
> >Date: 18 Jun 1996 19:34:02 -0700

> >If anyone could recommend some movies with loud nose-blowing scenes,
> >I'd really appreciate it.
>
> Hot Shots, Part Deux.
>
> Denise Perry WILL Radio
> Internet: dpe...@uiuc.edu 810 S. Wright St. Rm 228
> Phone: (217) 333-0850 Urbana, IL 61801
>
> "We're public broadcasting; we put the 'fun' in dysfunctional!"
> - PBS President Ervin Duggan----------------------------------------------------------------------

"FLASHDANCE"
- in the final dance sequence, before the entrance committee.
There is a strange looking individual with a beard, blowing his nose as
Jennifer Beal begins to dance. By the end, he is tapping his toe, and
blowing his nose along to the beat.
Most memorable, because it is completely off-the-wall.

"PRETTY WOMAN"
Julia Roberts is crying, and Hector Elizondo as the hotel
manager, hands her the pocket handkerchief from his suitcoat, to wipe
her eyes. (It is obviously for 'show'.) But Julia blows her nose into
the handkerchief, and offers it back. Hector looks askance, and tells
Julia to keep it.

This is a minor cliche in the movies.
One came immediately to mind, but I could not attach a title
to the film.

The hero hands a crying heroine his handkerchief, and tells her
to wipe her eyes. She takes it, wipes her eyes, and blows her nose
lustily into the handkerchief. Then, she offers it back.
The hero takes her offering gingerly between his thumb and
forefinger and observes: "Thank you. You are nothing if not thorough."

Can anybody remember the title?

Robert Westbrook

Jun 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/23/96

In article <dperry.256...@uiuc.edu>, dpe...@uiuc.edu (Denise Perry)
wrote:

> In article <llward.20...@primenet.com> llw...@primenet.com (larry
ward) writes:
> >From: llw...@primenet.com (larry ward)
> >Subject: Movies with loud nose blowing scenes
> >Date: 18 Jun 1996 19:34:02 -0700
>
> >If anyone could recommend some movies with loud nose-blowing scenes, I'd
> >really appreciate it.
>
> Hot Shots, Part Deux.

Heaven Help Us, 1985

Andrew McCarthy and Kevin Dillon are in it; it's very funny.

Robert

Ookla the Mok

Jun 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/23/96

Beer, and plenty of it.

Gordan Miller

Kenneth Hackney

Jun 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/27/96
>[snip}I decided to start this. Some movies with tasteful sex

>: (or just nude) scenes I've seen are MAN FACING SOUTHEAST, THE >WATERDANCE,
>: SCHINDLER'S LIST, etc. If anyone could recommend movies with tasteful >sex
>: scenes, please do so.
>
>Myra Breckinridge

TOM JONES

Rebecca Webb

Jun 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/27/96
If "tasteful" means it gets you right between the legs without degrading
your soul, then _Staying Together_ has two of them, one between an older
woman (Stockard Channing) and her devoted young boyfriend (Tim Quill) on a
kitchen floor and another between Dermot Mulroney and Daphne...Zanigia?
You know, the chick from one of those Spelling shows.

Rebecca Webb

--
"Survival in the wilderness is a matter of heart, not hardware."
Survival Quest

Jessica C.

Jun 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/28/96
In article <4qs7gn$5...@netnews.upenn.edu>
j...@umis.upenn.edu (Joe Clarke) writes:

>: My definition of "tasteful" is a scene in which the people having sex really

>: love each other, instead of just for the heck of it. I also don't mind
>: untasteful sex scenes as long as its part of the story.
>
>Joe Clarke "This truly is a great wall!"

"""""Here's one for you. I thoroughly enjoyed THE HOUSE ON THE HILL
with Michael Madsen and Helen Slater. Throughout the whole beginning
of the movie they are enemies, but you just gotta warm up to him and
then when they finally get together, you just gotta love it.

Jessica

WendyB2

Jun 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/28/96
In article <4q6se6$5...@cville-srv.wam.umd.edu>, e...@wam.umd.edu (Eugene
Zhu Xia) writes:

>The problem is that the "two individuals" are just as shallow,
>self-absorbed and without ideas (even a small and misguided
>one would be nice) let alone ideals. So why should anybody care?

This is not just a story of shallow people, but of forbidden love and what
happens when you allow society to lead your life and kill your dreams.
Daniel Day-Lewis' portrayal was very good. You'd probably find that
Scorsese did not deviate too much from the book like most directors have a
tendency to do. He really tried to stay as true to the story as possible.
I loved it. I dunno, I guess I have a weakness for period pieces. I
also loved Sense and Sensibilities.

Nicole Yates

Jun 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/29/96
i was reconfiguring my TARDIS when larry ward wrote:
: During a movie in the cinema, I usually eat popcorn or nachos with a drink of
: iced tea or Slice. At home I usually eat ice cream, cookies, or cereal.
: For no good reason, I'm curious about what people eat during movies.

well, actually, i like soda and raisinettes in the theatre, but i dont
like to eat alot at home when im watching a movie. weird.

nicole
SAVE DR WHO! EMAIL FOX TELEVISION AND TELL THEM TO GIVE IT A CHANCE!!!!!
EMAIL THEM AT: fox...@delphi.com AND TELL EM YOU LOVED THE MOVIE!
CONGRATULATIONS ERIC CANTONA AND MANCHESTER UNITED F.C !!!!!!!!

http://astro.ocis.temple.edu/~cunningh len...@netcom.com

Steven Leifer

Jun 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/30/96
to Rebecca Webb

Tasteful, in the sense of story and character development, would be
Women in Love (Glenda Jackson, Oliver Reed, Alan Bates)

All of the sex scenes do this

Greg Schienke

Jul 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/1/96

For years I didn't eat anything while at the theater. Recently, for
some reason, I've started to eat malted milk balls (Whoppers) and I
don't know why.

Robert Westbrook

Jul 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/1/96

In article <31d72...@news.centraltx.net>, schi...@centraltx.net (Greg
Schienke) wrote:

I don't get anything to eat or drink when at the theater; I don't want
to have to step away for a moment to use the restroom and miss something
important... Never mind what they charge now for drinks, etc... :-)
At home I have pizza and soda usually, but there is of course the
option of pausing when necessary for nature's call. ;-)

Robert

--
College Republicans, Shreveport Astronomical Society, Mars Underground, NRA
Macintosh User (7500) Cat Fanatic (Have you hugged your Cornish Rex today?)

The Hand

Jul 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/1/96

gmi...@zeus.towson.edu (Gordan Miller) wrote:

>larry ward (llw...@primenet.com) wrote:
>: Well, I'm getting tired if the opposite thread I made up "movies spoiled by

>: unnecessary nudity" so I decided to start this. Some movies with tasteful sex

>Myra Breckinridge

Might I add "Rob Roy"--not just because it's my personal favorite movie, but because there seemed to
be such an honest, profound relationship between Rob (Liam Neeson) and Mary (Jessica Lange). Just
keep your eyes shut during the Tim Roth rape scene...<G>
"....but THIS one goes to eleven"
--Nigel Tufnel

Ron Freilinger

Jul 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/2/96

schi...@centraltx.net (Greg Schienke) wrote:

>For years I didn't eat anything while at the theater. Recently, for
>some reason, I've started to eat malted milk balls (Whoppers) and I
>don't know why.

You have been programmed by the subliminal images shown during the
theater's self-promotional trailers. De de de dah, de de de dah.

That's why. :-)

Raj Dixit

Jul 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/3/96

I generally get a Coke at the theater, and no food. If good nachos are
available, however, I'll get 'em. Once in a blue moon I'll get popcorn.

At home: soda, and some sort of take out: pizza, Chinese, or Taco Bell if
I'm in a hurry.

Raj K. Dixit

Chooi Siew H.

Jul 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/4/96

Personally I hate the smell of popcorn, and I hate whoever sits next to
me munching them. It was annoying, rude, and distracting.

Robert W. Hall

Jul 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/4/96

nIn article <31d72...@news.centraltx.net>, schi...@centraltx.net (Greg Schienke) writes:> For years I didn't eat anything while at the theater. Recently, for

|> some reason, I've started to eat malted milk balls (Whoppers) and I
|> don't know why.

I've become addicted to eating Starburst fruit chews at the movies. Went
through 4 packs this afternoon watching Striptease and ID4 back to back..

(Striptease was more fun, IMHO..)
--
Robert W. Hall rh...@eecs.umich.edu http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~rhall
PhD Candidate, Computer Science and Engineering
Software Systems Research Laboratory
The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor

Keith Moore

Jul 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/4/96

Does SHOWGIRLS count???

I'm kidding, I'm kidding...

Blond Demon
bde...@linex.com
Tired of oil companies and their price hikes? Fight back! Avoid use of
premium fuels. Drive slower--your car loses 18% fuel efficiency driving
at 65MPH, more if you go faster. AVOID filling your tank for the next
month...saving a few dollars for yourself, taking a few out of oil
company pockets! Don't whine, DO something about it!

Zak

Jul 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/4/96

I have developed a philosophy about buying concessions at movie
theaters, and that philosophy is, DON'T DO IT! I only advocate this
for people who care about not getting robbed. Everybody else can buy
all the concessions they want.

When you step into a movie theater, it's like going to another country
where the exchange rate's really bad. Suddenly, that 50 cent package
of M&M's has skyrocketed to two bucks! And some popcorn, which you
could make at home for under a dollar, is up in the 4 or 5 dollar
range. And how about those $3 sodas? I could get a big-big Coke at the
convenience store for one-half the cost of a medium Coke in a movie
theater.

Yeah, yeah, so the movie theater has to make a profit. And I guess
it's the rule of gullibility: If people are dumb enough to buy it,
then they'll keep selling it and selling it. But WHY OH WHY do people
keep buying it?

My philosophy is, SNEAK YOUR OWN FOOD IN. They don't frisk you when
you go into movie theaters--not yet, anyway. There's lots of great
food you can sneak in and save a lot of money. If your girlfriend has
a big purse, or if you have a backpack and want to sport the student
look, you can even sneak in popcorn (though it takes some
preparation).

My choice of sneak-in snacks changes from movie to movie. When I saw
Mission Impossible my girlfriend and I ate these yummy wafer cookies
and these equally yummy garlic-flavored Melba snacks. That cost me
about $4, which is what a popcorn would have cost, but this was so
much better. I also occasionally buy M&Ms or something like that. As
far as drinks are concerned, the theaters will usually supply a small
cup of ice on request, but I like to cut out the middleman and just
bring some bottled water, or, when I'm feeling especially wild, I'll
bring a small bottle of juice. Why do people assume you have to eat
garbage when you watch movies?

My roommate has a smart tactic: he buys Junior Mints at cost, and
keeps a big package of them in the freezer. Then whenever he and his
girlfiriend go to the movies, they take a couple boxes of frozen
Junior Mints, and by the time they get inside the theater, the Junior
Mints are chilled just right.

Unfortunately, my girlfriend has rebelled against my tightwad
philosophy and she insists on getting big tubs of buttered popcorn
whenever we go to the movies. She's concerned about her weight, but
that doesn't stop her; she's trying to teach me a lesson, I guess. She
also invariably gets sick to her stomach by the time the movie is
over, because she's a small creature and all that greasy popcorn
doesn't sit well in her tum. But this only serves to increase her
determination. You might say she believes in tradition. One thing's
for sure: I'm not going to pay for her wasteful popcorn consumption.
She can send herself to the poorhouse on popcorn for all I care. I'll
eat my Melba snacks and she can eat her popcorn, and at the end of it
all, we'll see who has money left over.

In conclusion, CONCESSIONS ARE A SCAM. SNEAK YOUR OWN FOOD IN!

Bryant Frazer

Jul 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/4/96

Zak (z...@azstarnet.com) wrote:
: I have developed a philosophy about buying concessions at movie

: theaters, and that philosophy is, DON'T DO IT! I only advocate this
: for people who care about not getting robbed. Everybody else can buy
: all the concessions they want.

I've never managed a movie theater, but I was always under the impression
that since the theater has to share so much of its gross ticket sales
with the studio, the only chance it has to turn a profit is by selling
concessions.

Accordingly, I try to be selective. When I'm at a non-descript, poorly run
multiplex, I buy my ticket, see the movie, and get out. When I'm at a
theater that I care about, I try to buy some kind of concession as a vote
of support. (This is easier at "art houses," where you can buy cookies and
a yummy cappuccino instead of popcorn and soda.)

And if a theater serves Pepsi instead of Coke (Viacom's National
Amusements, the world's worst movie theater chain), I try not to give them
my money at all -- and certainly nothing for concessions.

-bf-
--
DEEP FOCUS (Movie Reviews)
http://www.panix.com/~bfrazer/flicker/

Brett Westervelt

Jul 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/4/96

> bfr...@panix.com (Bryant Frazer) wrote in article
<4rgfpi$s...@panix.com>...

I agree with Bryant, I mean I will occasinaly sneak food in, but I usually
just buy like either a medium drink, or a box of junior mints. Espicially
if I go in the affternoon where I am saving a couple bucks on price of
ticket anyway. I don't ussually get a large because then I'll have to go
to the bathroom halfway through the movie. But at the theater I go to
every single time I go there, and get a medium drink they always say "Did
you know for a quarter more you can get a large?" Which really pisses you
off after about 40 times. BUT BRYANT HOW CAN YOU LIKE COKE BETTER THAN
PEPSI, AND HOW CAN YOU GIVE THE BEST MOVIE IN A LONG TIME (ID4) A C+?

Ookla the Mok

Jul 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/4/96

Exactly! I usually just sneak a 40 oz (sometimes difficult) or a few
cans.
Fuck these guys and their $8.50 addmission.
Even at the $2.50 I refuse to buy food.

Bryan Stewart

Jul 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/5/96

bfr...@panix.com (Bryant Frazer) wrote:
>And if a theater serves Pepsi instead of Coke (Viacom's National
>Amusements, the world's worst movie theater chain), I try not to give them
>my money at all -- and certainly nothing for concessions.

Gee, I like Pepsi instead of Coke.

>--
> DEEP FOCUS (Movie Reviews)
> http://www.panix.com/~bfrazer/flicker/
> Last Movie Seen: INDEPENDENCE DAY (C+)

Now a C+ for "Independence Day" seems like a fair assessment.
How come Mr. Crankballs can't do this?

Jason John Seaver

Jul 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/5/96

In article <4rg12h$o...@news.azstarnet.com>, Zak <z...@azstarnet.com> wrote:
>I have developed a philosophy about buying concessions at movie
>theaters, and that philosophy is, DON'T DO IT! I only advocate this
>for people who care about not getting robbed. Everybody else can buy
>all the concessions they want.
>
>When you step into a movie theater, it's like going to another country
>where the exchange rate's really bad. Suddenly, that 50 cent package
>of M&M's has skyrocketed to two bucks! And some popcorn, which you
>could make at home for under a dollar, is up in the 4 or 5 dollar
>range. And how about those $3 sodas? I could get a big-big Coke at the
>convenience store for one-half the cost of a medium Coke in a movie
>theater.

Where I work, it's that $1.69 box of M&M's that costs $2.50 (though
you can get more Twizzlers in a 99c bag down the street than $2.25 will buy
you at the theatre). The 400% price increase is a slight exaggeration.

>Yeah, yeah, so the movie theater has to make a profit. And I guess
>it's the rule of gullibility: If people are dumb enough to buy it,
>then they'll keep selling it and selling it. But WHY OH WHY do people
>keep buying it?

The way I put it when customers ask me is that they're paying for
the convenience of getting everything on-site. Certainly, it's cheaper
to get your Dots at the nearest Store 24 or whatever, but it's an extra
stop, and since most people seem to plan their moviegoing to arrive at the
7pm showing at 6:58, it's not a *completely* unreasonable trade-off.
Of course, this crap is paying my rent right now. I'm biased.

>My choice of sneak-in snacks changes from movie to movie. When I saw
>Mission Impossible my girlfriend and I ate these yummy wafer cookies
>and these equally yummy garlic-flavored Melba snacks. That cost me
>about $4, which is what a popcorn would have cost, but this was so
>much better. I also occasionally buy M&Ms or something like that. As
>far as drinks are concerned, the theaters will usually supply a small
>cup of ice on request, but I like to cut out the middleman and just
>bring some bottled water, or, when I'm feeling especially wild, I'll
>bring a small bottle of juice. Why do people assume you have to eat
>garbage when you watch movies?

Heck, why do people assume you need to eat when you watch a movie
(that comment probably just got me fired :-)? Certainly, I'd often rather
have something that's not available when I go to the movies (Fudge. Milk.
Pink lemonade that's not pink, as opposed to that orangy stuff we sell.
The list goes on) and often do. Except in unusual circumstances, we are
not terribly likely to refuse admission just because we see that Snapple
you've got with you.

>Unfortunately, my girlfriend has rebelled against my tightwad
>philosophy and she insists on getting big tubs of buttered popcorn
>whenever we go to the movies. She's concerned about her weight, but
>that doesn't stop her; she's trying to teach me a lesson, I guess. She
>also invariably gets sick to her stomach by the time the movie is
>over, because she's a small creature and all that greasy popcorn
>doesn't sit well in her tum. But this only serves to increase her
>determination. You might say she believes in tradition. One thing's
>for sure: I'm not going to pay for her wasteful popcorn consumption.
>She can send herself to the poorhouse on popcorn for all I care. I'll
>eat my Melba snacks and she can eat her popcorn, and at the end of it
>all, we'll see who has money left over.

You make your girlfriend pay for her own munchies? You cad. I'll
bet you make her pay for her own ticket, too. The nerve of some guys today...

>In conclusion, CONCESSIONS ARE A SCAM. SNEAK YOUR OWN FOOD IN!

But remember - the folks that work at the theatre HATE PICKING UP
AFTER YOU. We're not terribly thrilled about picking up those candy and
popcorn bags (the manager who ordered all those individually wrapped
miniature candy bars has been purged in a bloodless coup :-), but I truly
believe that the folks that bring their own crap in and then leave it on
the floor will occupy a special spot in hell next to the people who call
you up at absurd hours to subscribe to a newspaper you already receive.
With the exception of the [rude words] who brought a whole bunch of unshelled
peanuts into ID4 tonight. He's clearly some demon from hell's ruling class.
WE WILL FIND YOU, AND WHEN WE DO, YOU WON'T ENJOY IT!!! But I digress...

--
Jason Seaver: jse...@wpi.wpi.edu |"Is this a good thing, Bull?"
WPI Student and fan of Atari, |"No, Axl, it's a continuous employment

Jason John Seaver

Jul 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/5/96

In article <4rgfpi$s...@panix.com>, Bryant Frazer <bfr...@panix.com> wrote:

>Zak (z...@azstarnet.com) wrote:
>: I have developed a philosophy about buying concessions at movie
>: theaters, and that philosophy is, DON'T DO IT! I only advocate this
>: for people who care about not getting robbed. Everybody else can buy
>: all the concessions they want.
>
>I've never managed a movie theater, but I was always under the impression
>that since the theater has to share so much of its gross ticket sales
>with the studio, the only chance it has to turn a profit is by selling
>concessions.
>
>Accordingly, I try to be selective. When I'm at a non-descript, poorly run
>multiplex, I buy my ticket, see the movie, and get out. When I'm at a
>theater that I care about, I try to buy some kind of concession as a vote
>of support. (This is easier at "art houses," where you can buy cookies and
>a yummy cappuccino instead of popcorn and soda.)
>
>And if a theater serves Pepsi instead of Coke (Viacom's National
>Amusements, the world's worst movie theater chain), I try not to give them
>my money at all -- and certainly nothing for concessions.

Hey, you're taking food out of poor college students' mouths (such
as mine)! I work at one of those National Amusements concession stands,
and I'll agree that the place has all the atmosphere of an airport and may
well be one of the worst theater chains in existence (though I'm certain
there are worse chains in, say, The People's Republic Of China), but we've
got those cookies and cappuccinoes. Of course, the one I'm working at now
was built last year.

On the Coke/Pepsi issue: Remember, when a vendor goes for Coca-Cola
products, they generally are forced to have Sprite, Ramblin' Root Beer and
Minute Maid Orange Soda as opposed to 7-Up, Hires, and Orange Crush (which
many of us Cola-haters consider a damn good trade-off).

kenneth mcalinden

Jul 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/5/96

Bryan Stewart (bste...@idsonline.com) wrote:
: bfr...@panix.com (Bryant Frazer) wrote:
: >And if a theater serves Pepsi instead of Coke (Viacom's National

: >Amusements, the world's worst movie theater chain), I try not to give them
: >my money at all -- and certainly nothing for concessions.

: Gee, I like Pepsi instead of Coke.

Just out of curiosity, how do you guys feel about oysters vs. snails? I
mean is it just a matter of appetites? Oops! Gotta go, my slave with
the funny New York accent just bolted on me. I sure hope he didn't join
that slave revolt rampaging through Italy.

;)

--
**********************************
* Ken McAlinden *

Kanga

Jul 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/5/96

In article <4rgfpi$s...@panix.com>, bfr...@panix.com (Bryant Frazer) wrote:

::Zak (z...@azstarnet.com) wrote:
::: I have developed a philosophy about buying concessions at movie
::: theaters, and that philosophy is, DON'T DO IT! I only advocate this
::: for people who care about not getting robbed. Everybody else can buy
::: all the concessions they want.

[some snippage]
::Accordingly, I try to be selective. When I'm at a non-descript, poorly run

::multiplex, I buy my ticket, see the movie, and get out. When I'm at a
::theater that I care about, I try to buy some kind of concession as a vote
::of support. (This is easier at "art houses," where you can buy cookies and
::a yummy cappuccino instead of popcorn and soda.)

I always make a point to buy something at the concessions at the
artsy-fartsy theaters. But no one has to hold a gun to my head to do it: I
just love the java (and the films). :-)

::And if a theater serves Pepsi instead of Coke (Viacom's National

::Amusements, the world's worst movie theater chain), I try not to give them
::my money at all -- and certainly nothing for concessions.

And Cineplex Odeon. I avoid these two theaters whenever possible, though
at times it's difficult. I wouldn't want Sony to become a monopoly but
it's gotten so that I can't watch certain films without the THx...like
"ID4". I didn't care for the film and I thought Bryant's review of it was
perfect but the only way to enjoy it is in 70mm.

~ Kanga ~
----------------
~-^-~-^-~-^-~-^-~-^-~-^-~-^-~-^-~-^-~-^-~-^-~-^-~-^-~-^-~-^-~-^-~
"Hi. Is there a problem with your cable?"
-= Jim Carrey =-
-^-~-^-~-^-~-^-~-^-~-^-~-^-~-^-~-^-~-^-~-^-~-^-~-^-~-^-~-^-~-^-~-

Victor Eijkhout

Jul 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/5/96

In article <4rg12h$o...@news.azstarnet.com> z...@azstarnet.com (Zak) writes:

> My philosophy is, SNEAK YOUR OWN FOOD IN.

Last time I looked, the average human could do without food
or drink for more than 2 hours.

Victor.
--
405 Hilgard Ave ................................. `We are in danger of getting
Department of Mathematics, UCLA ............. government by the clueless, over

Bryan Stewart

Jul 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/5/96

z...@azstarnet.com (Zak) wrote:

>In conclusion, CONCESSIONS ARE A SCAM. SNEAK YOUR OWN FOOD IN!

Why not eat dinner before you go in?

Susie Milner

Jul 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/5/96

In article <4rgfpi$s...@panix.com>, bfr...@panix.com (Bryant Frazer) says:

>And if a theater serves Pepsi instead of Coke (Viacom's National
>Amusements, the world's worst movie theater chain), I try not to give them
>my money at all -- and certainly nothing for concessions.

Great Policy! I agree with this.

I do buy concessions at my favorite moviehouse (a restored 1920s one-screen
palais). The popcorn is cheap there, and they need the money to continue
to stay open (the ticket prices are low . . . ). However, if I get roped
into going to the multiplex, I go in the afternoon for the matinee price
and I never buy anything. These huge monopoly chains (at least around here)
keep making the screens and theatres smaller and smaller, hire rude and
incompetent employees, and don't clean the floors or seats properly--I think
they are making a bundle when they charge so much for tickets. I don't
want to contribute more to their haul.

Susie Milner Speak softly, drive a Sherman tank;
Penn State University Laugh hard, it's a long way to the bank.
SX...@psuvm.psu.edu --TMBG

arandia

Jul 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/6/96

: In conclusion, CONCESSIONS ARE A SCAM. SNEAK YOUR OWN FOOD IN!

I remember once, during college, I went to the movies with some
friends. We snuck in a big ole bottle of Absolut. Drank it.
Got tanked. Got rowdy. Got kicked out.

Whee! Those were the days!

joel

Richard Johnson

Jul 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/6/96

On Fri, 5 Jul 1996 18:30:27 EDT, Susie Milner <SX...@psuvm.psu.edu>
wrote:

>I do buy concessions at my favorite moviehouse (a restored 1920s one-screen
>palais). The popcorn is cheap there, and they need the money to continue
>to stay open (the ticket prices are low . . . ). However, if I get roped
>into going to the multiplex, I go in the afternoon for the matinee price
>and I never buy anything. These huge monopoly chains (at least around here)
>keep making the screens and theatres smaller and smaller, hire rude and
>incompetent employees, and don't clean the floors or seats properly--I think
>they are making a bundle when they charge so much for tickets. I don't
>want to contribute more to their haul.

Yea I really hate the small theaters. We should have fewer, bigger
theaters. Why can't there be an honest theater that charges low prices
for concessions and then charges whatever they have to for the tickets
to make a decent profit? One would think that competition would lower
the price of concessions but many years have passed and the prices
just go up more.

Anyway, I don't go to poor quality multiplexes any more. They suck too
badly. I travel farther to see movies now. Why even bother to go to a
movie if they have a small screen, a dimly lit projector, a dirty
floor, and a bad sound system?

I usually buy at least a coke, though. If I could fight them somehow I
would but I just can't change the situation. Sometimes I sneak in a
couple of snacks in my pocket. Last time I bought a hot dog (which I
never do usually). It costed $3 but was much worse than the hot dogs
they have at 7-11, which cost only $1. There should be a law passed
against concession rip-offs. It has to be stopped somehow.

S Heard

Jul 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/6/96

>: In conclusion, CONCESSIONS ARE A SCAM. SNEAK YOUR OWN FOOD IN!

Well, I have a better conclusion: Don't eat anything! How can somebody
not go 3 hours at most without eating or drinking something? When I go
to the movies I usually hear people who bring in outside food and the
bags are crackling and the cans are popping.... Also, concessions
aren't a scam, I think -everybody- knows they are a big ripoff.
People who bring crackling bags and other annoying things to the
theater are almost as annoying as people who talk during a film.

she...@mercury.execulink.com

Also, Diet Pepsi is better then Regular Coke.. it is the best drink in
the world! ;)

And, ID4 really was a very poor film, it was very predictable and had
all the americans think they would save the world (I'm Canadian).. the
only think good about the movie was the line "You don't want to die a
virgin do you?". That was just so clever ;)

Syd

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

Zak (z...@azstarnet.com) wrote:

: I have developed a philosophy about buying concessions at movie
: theaters, and that philosophy is, DON'T DO IT! I only advocate this
: for people who care about not getting robbed. Everybody else can buy
: all the concessions they want.

Perhaps, but only the big ugly 21-plexes (Tom Cruise on 8 of those screens)
could survive without concession sales. You do what you want, but be
aware that if everybody did the same, a lot of theaters (and all of the
good ones, probably) would be gone.

--
Dennis P. Hilgenberg
s...@cyberverse.com

y...@ssdevo.enet.dec.com

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

In article <4r7gp8$p...@cronkite.polaristel.net>, The...@tfexp.com (The Hand) writes:
|>Might I add "Rob Roy"--

Oddly enough, the (non-rape) sex scenes in "Rob Roy" actually annoyed me.
Although they're not graphic, they seemed a tad sleazy for these two pillars
of virtue that Rob Roy and his wife were supposed to be. Even so, I don't
entirely understand why they seemed inappropriate for for me; maybe it was
the mood I was in when I saw it...

Steve King

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

jse...@bigwpi.WPI.EDU (Jason John Seaver) wrote:

>With the exception of the [rude words] who brought a whole bunch of unshelled
>peanuts into ID4 tonight. He's clearly some demon from hell's ruling class.

What about the poor people sitting around them who have to listen the
cracking of the shells all through the film. That would be right up
there when the cellophane-wrapped boxes of candy they sell.

As for sneaking in food, that's why JC Penny, et al, stores sell those
shopping bags with flat bottoms.

Steve
--
http://www.afn.org/~afn35036 (EL89tq)| "I have never really understood the
http://www.afn.org/~gars | rationale behind sports...which

Jeff Joseph

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

In article <4rhijq$3...@atlas.uniserve.com>, jam...@uniserve.com (Ookla
the Mok) wrote:

>Exactly! I usually just sneak a 40 oz (sometimes difficult) or a few
>cans.
>Fuck these guys and their $8.50 addmission.

It's a amazing. People will dole out 50 bucks a seat for a $50 million
stage production but have problems with paying $8.50 to see a $50
million movie production.

And the stage theatre won't be selling 2 gallon soda and 60 gallon bags
of popcorn at cinema rates that's for sure....

--------*-----------------*-------------*----------*----------
Jeff Joseph Live from the Centre of the
e-mail:jjo...@interlog.com Universe (or so they claim.)
"I've been in funeral homes that are noisier than SkyDome" -
Jim Hunt
--------*------------*--------------*---------------*----------

Simon Hardh

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

USA has a lack of this subject.
But anyway , there is one movie as far is I know
which is worth mentioning :
The postman always rings twice.
Here Jessica Lange (Has she done more "tasteful" movies than this and Rob
Roy ?) and Jack Nicholson does "it" on a table !

DreamRain

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

In Article<4rhpma$f...@news2.cais.com>, <bste...@idsonline.com>
write:

> bfr...@panix.com (Bryant Frazer) wrote:
> >And if a theater serves Pepsi instead of Coke (Viacom's
National
> >Amusements, the world's worst movie theater chain), I try
not to give them
> >my money at all -- and certainly nothing for concessions.
>

> Gee, I like Pepsi instead of Coke.

Pepsi rules! Coke is too fizzy and tastes funny..... :)
But in a pinch, I'll drink Ca-Ca-Cola. ;)

Darren Reynolds

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

In article <4rs5gr$o...@epimetheus.algonet.se>,
Simon Hardh <si...@algonet.se> wrote:

You thought that was tasteful!? If I remember correctly there was
speculation about the table scene that Jack and Jessica were 'actually
doing it'. But maybe we have differing understandings of 'tasteful'.
Perhaps you were refering to the lack of nudity. Still, I wouldn't want to
watch it with my grandma.

Darren

dar...@reinwood.demon.co.uk

Merch

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

In article <4rrbbe$4...@rodelo.cyberverse.com>, s...@rodelo.cyberverse.com
(Syd) wrote:

Exactly. In Maine where I live, we have two chains, Hoyts and General
Cinema. The rest are smaller, independant theaters. Hoyts is the most
expensive - a large popcorn is $5.50. At the smaller theaters, such as
Spinelli, a large tub of popcorn (with REAL butter, no less!) is only
$3.50. Both offer free refils, but...Anyway, the larger chains seem to
have a much lower popcorn quality, only because they make it in more
quantity. Theaters have high concession prices for two reasons -- a) they
need to make back money on films that didn't even meet their cost, and pay
for those matinees when 2 people show up, and b) because they have a
captive audience. If we were on a desert island, and I had the only
bottle of fresh water, and you had forgotten to bring yours, I could
charge whatever I damn well please. For various reasons, i.e. not wanting
to bother, fear of being caught (embarrasment wise), and just plain
forgetting, most people don't bring their own. Besides, that hot, fresh
butter and ice cold soda beats a warm can of pepsi and a baggie of icky
cold popcorn anyday...

Adam, who only started buying anything but a soda recently, and seems to
notice his middle plumping

--
Please note my new e-mail address me...@ime.net. It was formerly me...@mainelink.net. Thank you!

It is loading more messages.