Michael Mann's HEAT -- scene question

Zenry

Aug 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/28/00
Re-watched this movie for the umpteenth time the other day (a modern
masterpiece, imho) and there is one scene that I still to this day have not
quite figured out.

After the bank shootout, Pacino shows up at a condo complex where Wes Studi
and a swat team are already waiting and Studi says something like, "the bank
tip was phoned in by a CI named Hugh Benny [Rollins character's]"...then
Studi proceeds to take a shotgun to Benny's door, then Pacino storms in and
beats him up.

Now I'm wondering, what is a CI (Criminal Informant, maybe?), and since when
does phoning in a tip get your front door broken down and a beating from the
police? All I can think is that a scene before this was cut out, where
Studi tries to talk to Benny and Benny refuses to come out and barricades
himself in his apartment (even this would make the police's techniques
rather questionable, but to have them storm in with no apparent warning is
bizarre).

Anybody know?

Dave Friend

Aug 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/28/00

Love the movie. My guess is that the tip from Benny was supposed to be
anonymous. Since DeNiro got away, I suppose the cops wanted to track down
the tipster to see what other information he had.

Just a guess though.

--
Dave Friend
Not speaking for IBM

Brent McKee

Sep 1, 2000, 4:24:06 AM9/1/00

Zenry <ze...@NOSPAMhome.com> wrote in article
<MGyq5.32681$Ur3.3...@news1.sttls1.wa.home.com>...

> Re-watched this movie for the umpteenth time the other day (a modern
> masterpiece, imho) and there is one scene that I still to this day have
not
> quite figured out.
>
> After the bank shootout, Pacino shows up at a condo complex where Wes
Studi
> and a swat team are already waiting and Studi says something like, "the
bank
> tip was phoned in by a CI named Hugh Benny [Rollins character's]"...then
> Studi proceeds to take a shotgun to Benny's door, then Pacino storms in
and
> beats him up.
>
> Now I'm wondering, what is a CI (Criminal Informant, maybe?), and since
when
> does phoning in a tip get your front door broken down and a beating from
the
> police? All I can think is that a scene before this was cut out, where
> Studi tries to talk to Benny and Benny refuses to come out and barricades
> himself in his apartment (even this would make the police's techniques
> rather questionable, but to have them storm in with no apparent warning
is
> bizarre).

CI = Confidential Informant. In other words a Snitch. What may have been
cut was a scene in which a search warrant was obtained. In searching a
residence where a potentially armed suspect may be, the Police (at least in
the US) apparently have some liberty concerning how they enter the
residence.

--
Brent McKee

To reply by email, please remove the capital letters (S and N) from the
email address

"If we cease to judge this world, we may find ourselves, very quickly, in
one which is infinitely worse."
- Margaret Atwood

algot...@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2018, 12:33:23 AM1/6/18
Wow its 2017, 17 years after you created this post. Heat has been one of my all time favourite films. Saw it in the theater and have since watched it a billion times.

One question I have is - how did Hugh Benny find out about the bank? My guess is from Waynegrow but how would Waynegrow know? He was only part of their crew for a very short time and from the beginning of the film it looked like Waynegrow was kind of a substitute and they had never met him before Tom Sizemore's character picks him up while driving the truck.

So again, how did Hugh Benny know about the bank?

On Monday, August 28, 2000 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Zenry wrote:
> Re-watched this movie for the umpteenth time the other day (a modern
> masterpiece, imho) and there is one scene that I still to this day have not
> quite figured out.
>
> After the bank shootout, Pacino shows up at a condo complex where Wes Studi
> and a swat team are already waiting and Studi says something like, "the bank
> tip was phoned in by a CI named Hugh Benny [Rollins character's]"...then
> Studi proceeds to take a shotgun to Benny's door, then Pacino storms in and
> beats him up.
>
> Now I'm wondering, what is a CI (Criminal Informant, maybe?), and since when
> does phoning in a tip get your front door broken down and a beating from the
> police? All I can think is that a scene before this was cut out, where
> Studi tries to talk to Benny and Benny refuses to come out and barricades
> himself in his apartment (even this would make the police's techniques
> rather questionable, but to have them storm in with no apparent warning is
> bizarre).
>
> Anybody know?

scott....@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2018, 6:45:50 PM4/6/18
Hugh Benny learned about the bank job from Waingro. Waingro found out about the job by torturing Trejo and Trejo's wife (Anna).

ben.k...@gmail.com

Jun 11, 2019, 1:01:18 AM6/11/19
There's a deleted scene where Waingro confronts Trejo in his house. Hugh Benny was probably considered an extremely dangerous person, which would explain why Hanna and Cazale go in the way they did.