Criterion Tampopo: Yes, it's happening.

Sol L. Siegel

Jan 17, 2017, 8:07:43 PM1/17/17
...but not until April 25.

https://www.criterion.com/films/28880-tampopo/

My apologies if this is old news.

- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA

william ahearn

Jan 17, 2017, 8:37:16 PM1/17/17
On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 8:07:43 PM UTC-5, Sol L. Siegel wrote:
> ...but not until April 25.
>
> https://www.criterion.com/films/28880-tampopo/
>
> My apologies if this is old news.

I believe -- according to the press release -- that the official announcement was today.

gtr

Jan 20, 2017, 5:08:03 PM1/20/17
It's about time!

TT

Jan 20, 2017, 5:17:18 PM1/20/17
Honest question...

Someone explain me why is it such a big deal for a film making it into
Criterion? ...I see that Tampopo has already been released as Blu-ray,
at least there are 720p HD torrents around.

https://torrentz2.eu/search?f=tampopo

gtr

Jan 21, 2017, 12:16:40 PM1/21/17
For many years it was generally unavailable. It's a good movie, and
Criterion does a good job. So it's good news. I'm not sure anyone
specifically said it's a "big deal", but if they think it is, why is
that a bigger deal?

TT

Jan 21, 2017, 4:27:40 PM1/21/17
I guess the correct answer would be...

"The Criterion Collection, Inc. (or simply Criterion) is an American
home video distribution company which focuses on licensing "important
classic and contemporary films" and selling them to film aficionados"

...So it's an American thing. (for me, mostly a torrent availability thing)

Yes, I hear Tampopo is nice little film... been meaning to watch it for
some time.

Sol L. Siegel

Feb 2, 2017, 11:35:57 PM2/2/17
TT <as...@dprk.kp> wrote in news:N%vgA.52873$aS4....@uutiset.elisa.fi:

> Someone explain me why is it such a big deal for a film making it into
> Criterion?

It's news for me, since I don't usually go beyond US sources, and the
previous Region 1 DVD wasn't anamorphically formatted. And I do love
the picture.

Neill Massello

Feb 3, 2017, 4:39:20 PM2/3/17
TT <as...@dprk.kp> wrote:

> Someone explain me why is it such a big deal for a film making it into
> Criterion?

It no longer is. Years ago, Criterion had a lot of cachet because their
collection consisted of very good transfers of very good movies along
with very good extras. These days, the Criterion premium is rarely worth
paying if you can find the title elsewhere.