Professional Athletes turned actors

Mpoconnor7

Oct 3, 2001, 8:49:19 AM10/3/01
I've been thinking about who the best actor amongst the
professional-athlete-turned-actor is, and am coming up blank. There have been
some who have been movie stars, if only for a very short time like Jim Brown,
but Jim Brown wasn't much of an actor. And there have been some who have
played themselves in movies like Brett Favre and Reggie Jackson. It seems most
of them are Pro Football players, but that could be due to the roster size in
Football being much larger than other sports. OJ was in a number of films but
he had the acting range of a paper bag (although some may say he did his best
acting work during his murder trial). Has there ever been a former
professional athlete who could act well?

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man
"The probability of one person being right increases in a direct porportion to
the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"

Jeff Coleman

Oct 3, 2001, 9:01:36 AM10/3/01

"Mpoconnor7" <mpoco...@aol.comnojunk> wrote in message

> I've been thinking about who the best actor amongst the
> professional-athlete-turned-actor is, and am coming up blank. There have
been
> some who have been movie stars, if only for a very short time like Jim
Brown,
> but Jim Brown wasn't much of an actor. And there have been some who have
> played themselves in movies like Brett Favre and Reggie Jackson. It seems
most
> of them are Pro Football players, but that could be due to the roster size
in
> Football being much larger than other sports. OJ was in a number of films
but
> he had the acting range of a paper bag (although some may say he did his
best
> acting work during his murder trial). Has there ever been a former
> professional athlete who could act well?

Are you forgetting Kareem Abdul-Jabbar? Not only did he go one to one with
(his teacher) Bruce Lee in GAME OF DEATH but turned in a fine performance in
AIRPLANE!

"You must have me confused with someone else. I'm a navigator!"

Jeff
--
www.isaacpriestley.com
Latest album "Days of Being Dumb"

John Harkness

Oct 3, 2001, 9:05:39 AM10/3/01
On 03 Oct 2001 12:49:19 GMT, mpoco...@aol.comnojunk (Mpoconnor7)
wrote:

>I've been thinking about who the best actor amongst the
>professional-athlete-turned-actor is, and am coming up blank. There have been
>some who have been movie stars, if only for a very short time like Jim Brown,
>but Jim Brown wasn't much of an actor. And there have been some who have
>played themselves in movies like Brett Favre and Reggie Jackson. It seems most
>of them are Pro Football players, but that could be due to the roster size in
>Football being much larger than other sports. OJ was in a number of films but
>he had the acting range of a paper bag (although some may say he did his best
>acting work during his murder trial). Has there ever been a former
>professional athlete who could act well?
>
>Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

Charlie Sheen and Kurt Russell both played minor league baseballl.
Which is professional, though not major league. Fred Dryer played pro
football for a long time, and has had an acting career.

Not quite the same thing, but William Petersen went to University on a
football scholarship, and taking a theatre class, realized that there
were lots of women in theatre class, and the guys in theatre class
didn't seem very interested in the women

sch...@gefen.cc.biu.ac.il

Oct 3, 2001, 9:33:00 AM10/3/01
In article <20011003084919...@mb-cq.aol.com>, Mpoconnor7 <mpoco...@aol.comnojunk> wrote:

: Has there ever been a former professional athlete who could act well?

Paul Robeson played pro football for a couple of seasons after he
graduated from Rutgers.

I don't know how well "well" is, but Chuck Connors was a pro baseball player
before he became an actor.

-----
Richard Schultz sch...@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"an optimist is a guy/ that has never had/ much experience"

Steve Oldham

Oct 3, 2001, 10:08:10 AM10/3/01
Johnny Weissmuller. 'Tarzan' isn't the most nuanced role but JW does a
good intelligent job with it.

Steve

David

Oct 3, 2001, 10:37:15 AM10/3/01
mpoco...@aol.comnojunk (Mpoconnor7) wrote:

>Has there ever been a former professional athlete who could act well?

'Slapsie' Maxie Rosenbloom, a boxer, was quite a funny guy onscreen in
movies like "Nothing Sacred" & "Louisiana Purchase."

Sam J. Jones was also a funny guy, but for different reasons: his line
readings in "Flash Gordon" & elsewhere still elicit hysterics.

Brian Dickson

Oct 3, 2001, 10:57:09 AM10/3/01

sch...@gefen.cc.biu.ac.il wrote:

> In article <20011003084919...@mb-cq.aol.com>, Mpoconnor7 <mpoco...@aol.comnojunk> wrote:
>
> : Has there ever been a former professional athlete who could act well?
>
> Paul Robeson played pro football for a couple of seasons after he
> graduated from Rutgers.
>
> I don't know how well "well" is, but Chuck Connors was a pro baseball player
> before he became an actor.

Randall 'Tex' Cobb usually plays a convincing prison inmate or similar tough/imposing character. He was
great in "Raising Arizona."

Definitely not so "well," though -

Dick Butkus ("Necessary Roughness," "Any Given Sunday," lot of TV)
Howie Long ("Broken Arrow," "Firestorm")
Brian Bosworth ("Stone Cold")
Lyle Alzado ("Destroyer")
Dennis Rodman ("Double Team")
Shaquille O'Neal ("Blue Chips," "Kazaam," "Steel")
Tommy Morrison ("Rocky V")

Are pro wrestlers 'professional athletes'? Hulk Hogan, Jesse Ventura, The Rock...and of course, Tor
Johnson.

-B.

Robert John Guttke

Oct 3, 2001, 11:57:06 AM10/3/01
On Wed, 03 Oct 2001 13:05:39 GMT, j...@attcanada.ca (John Harkness)
wrote:

Nice perpetuation of stereotypes there.........

Robert John Guttke Photography
~www.guttke.com~

Robert John Guttke

Oct 3, 2001, 11:57:50 AM10/3/01

Grunting.... good range.

John Harkness

Oct 3, 2001, 12:09:26 PM10/3/01
On Wed, 03 Oct 2001 15:57:06 GMT, gut...@juno.com (Robert John Guttke)
wrote:

Just quoting...

And, of course, college theatre departments are bastions of
heterosexuality.

John Harkness

Nimrod``

Oct 3, 2001, 12:44:53 PM10/3/01
On Wed, 03 Oct 2001 16:09:26 GMT, j...@attcanada.ca (John Harkness)
wrote:

How about them Mets?

N``

Dave T

Oct 3, 2001, 1:16:33 PM10/3/01
Mpoconnor7 wrote in message <20011003084919...@mb-cq.aol.com>...

>I've been thinking about who the best actor amongst the
>professional-athlete-turned-actor is, and am coming up blank. There have
been
>some who have been movie stars, if only for a very short time like Jim
Brown,
>but Jim Brown wasn't much of an actor. And there have been some who have
>played themselves in movies like Brett Favre and Reggie Jackson. It seems
most
>of them are Pro Football players, but that could be due to the roster size
in
>Football being much larger than other sports. OJ was in a number of films
but
>he had the acting range of a paper bag (although some may say he did his
best
>acting work during his murder trial). Has there ever been a former
>professional athlete who could act well?

There are any number of martial arts-types who competed professionally. Ken
Lo, Benny 'The Jet' Urquidez, Billy Chow and Jerry Trimble were all pro
kickboxers and routinely turn up in Hong Kong movies, usually as bad guys
(Benny also played the assassin in Grosse Point Blank). Cynthia Rothrock,
Bill 'Superfoot' Wallace and Chuck Norris have been karate champions a bunch
of times, Jet Li, Robin Shou, Ray Park and Brad Allen have all competed in
Wu Shu tournaments.

As to whether they can act, I'd have to say only Jet Li has turned in really
strong performances, and then only in Chinese language films (although Lo
and Chow have both given good turns as bad guys).

Outside the chopsockey world, I read that Estella Warren was a swimmer,
although whether she was ever in competition is unknown to me. Vinnie Jones
was a professional footballer (oops, sorry, I mean 'soccer player') but
you'd have to stretch the definition of actor molecule-thin to include him.
--
Dave 'and Jean Claude Van Damme was a ballet dancer' T

"OUT! OUT! You Demons of Stupidity!" - Saint Dogbert

Robert John Guttke

Oct 3, 2001, 1:49:06 PM10/3/01

Don't forget Sonia Henne....... and go brush your teeth.

Wull

Oct 3, 2001, 2:20:21 PM10/3/01
Was JW a professional athlete?

TIA
Wull

Wull

Oct 3, 2001, 2:21:08 PM10/3/01
What about Max Baer?

Wull

wes wildcat

Oct 3, 2001, 2:42:45 PM10/3/01

Brian Dickson wrote:

> Randall 'Tex' Cobb usually plays a convincing prison inmate or similar tough/imposing character. He was
> great in "Raising Arizona."
>
> Definitely not so "well," though -
>
> Dick Butkus ("Necessary Roughness," "Any Given Sunday," lot of TV)
> Howie Long ("Broken Arrow," "Firestorm")
> Brian Bosworth ("Stone Cold")
> Lyle Alzado ("Destroyer")
> Dennis Rodman ("Double Team")
> Shaquille O'Neal ("Blue Chips," "Kazaam," "Steel")
> Tommy Morrison ("Rocky V")
>
> Are pro wrestlers 'professional athletes'? Hulk Hogan, Jesse Ventura, The Rock...and of course, Tor
> Johnson.
>
> -B.

You forgot Andre the Giant (The Princess Bride)

-w

wes wildcat

Oct 3, 2001, 2:47:53 PM10/3/01
Heavyweight Champ Max Baer was in some movies, even played a character
like himself in The Harder They Fall. Oscar winner Victor McLaglen was
a former boxer who went a couple of rounds with Jack Johnson.

Wull

Oct 3, 2001, 3:11:39 PM10/3/01
And also with John Wayne! :-)

Wull

Nimrod``

Oct 3, 2001, 3:17:27 PM10/3/01
On Wed, 03 Oct 2001 17:49:06 GMT, gut...@juno.com (Robert John Guttke)
wrote:

>On Wed, 3 Oct 2001 18:16:33 +0100, "Dave T"

For the record: it's "Sonja Henie". And go read your IMDb.

N``

Steve Oldham

Oct 3, 2001, 3:21:07 PM10/3/01
On Wed, 03 Oct 2001 13:20:21 -0500, Wull <credit hunter> wrote:

>Was JW a professional athlete?
>
>TIA
>Wull

Not unless he got paid under the table. I guess that makes my post OT.

Excuse me while I flagellate myself.

Steve

Nimrod``

Oct 3, 2001, 3:23:59 PM10/3/01
On Wed, 03 Oct 2001 13:20:21 -0500, Wull <credit hunter> wrote:

>Was JW a professional athlete?
>
>TIA
>Wull

He was a Gold-medal-winning Olympic swimmer; that's the only reason he
ended up with a film career.

N``

Robert John Guttke

Oct 3, 2001, 3:46:24 PM10/3/01

Can I borrow the whip when you done? Evidently I am a failure once
again for my spelling errors.

artyw

Oct 3, 2001, 3:50:17 PM10/3/01
mpoco...@aol.comnojunk (Mpoconnor7) wrote in message news:<20011003084919...@mb-cq.aol.com>...

> I've been thinking about who the best actor amongst the
> professional-athlete-turned-actor is, and am coming up blank. There have been
> some who have been movie stars, if only for a very short time like Jim Brown,
> but Jim Brown wasn't much of an actor. And there have been some who have
> played themselves in movies like Brett Favre and Reggie Jackson. It seems most
> of them are Pro Football players, but that could be due to the roster size in
> Football being much larger than other sports. OJ was in a number of films but
> he had the acting range of a paper bag (although some may say he did his best
> acting work during his murder trial). Has there ever been a former
> professional athlete who could act well?

I liked Ray Allen in He Got Game (Though he is a current pro
athlete).
I thought O.J. Simpson was fine in Naked Gun, but he probably wont be
getting too many more parts.
Bubba Smith Police Academy-he could act as well as anyone else in that
film.
Burt Reynolds was not a pro athlete, but I think he did play college
football (Or maybe just his character in The Longest Yard did?)

Sawfish

Oct 3, 2001, 3:58:04 PM10/3/01
Steve Oldham <stev...@rocsoft.net> writes:

>Johnny Weissmuller. 'Tarzan' isn't the most nuanced role but JW does a
>good intelligent job with it.

Karl Weathers. In about a million movies. Limited range, but commercially
successful.

--
--Sawfish
"I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would accept someone like me

Scott

Oct 3, 2001, 3:45:43 PM10/3/01

I can't believe no one's mentioned Alex Karras, yet.

-Scott

John Harkness

Oct 3, 2001, 4:27:22 PM10/3/01

He was a wide receiver at either Florida or Florida State -- IIRC, he
wore his college number in Longest Yard.

John Harkness

Nimrod``

Oct 3, 2001, 4:25:24 PM10/3/01
On Wed, 03 Oct 2001 19:46:24 GMT, gut...@juno.com (Robert John Guttke)
wrote:

>On Wed, 03 Oct 2001 15:21:07 -0400, Steve Oldham
><stev...@rocsoft.net> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 03 Oct 2001 13:20:21 -0500, Wull <credit hunter> wrote:
>>
>>>Was JW a professional athlete?
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>Wull
>>>
>>Not unless he got paid under the table. I guess that makes my post OT.
>>
>>Excuse me while I flagellate myself.
>>
>>Steve
>

>Can I borrow the whip when you done? Evidently I am a failure once
>again for my spelling errors.
>

> Robert John Guttke Photography
> ~www.guttke.com~

No...for your sloppiness and lack of research.

N``

Wull

Oct 3, 2001, 4:43:00 PM10/3/01
Steve,

How could you?
Remember what *N* said about blindness and hairy hands, LOL

Wull

ShaneOttawa

Oct 3, 2001, 5:01:10 PM10/3/01
mpoco...@aol.comnojunk (Mpoconnor7) wrote in message Has there ever been a former

> professional athlete who could act well?
>
> Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man
> "The probability of one person being right increases in a direct porportion to
> the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"

While its safe to argue his role wasn't much of a stretch, Lawrence
Taylor did exceptionally well in Any Given Sunday as an aging star
linebacker. For a guy who could scarcely string a sentence together at
a bizarre news conference a few years ago, he's come a long way. It'll
be interesting to see if he ever does a non-football role.

Also...

Merlin Olsen has done a lot of TV but no features from what I could
see on IMDB.

Alex Karras appeared in Blazing Saddles, a bunch of bad TV shows and
possibly other films

Bob Uecker was a pro baseball player - usually he plays himself or the
equivalent in features such as Major League (?) - he was in a TV show
not playing himself, however.

Brian Bosworth after his brief career as a media star and NFL
linebacker had a brief career as an action movie star.

Of course, Arnold Schwarzenegger could be easily categorized as a pro
athlete - he had been a pro bodybuilder.

Carl Weathers of Rocky and lesser action movie fame played linebacker
for the British Columbia Lions of the Canadian Football League

Dolph Lundgren was a champion kickboxer, as Jean Claude Van Damme,
Chuck Norris, and likely other action stars were similarly pro
athletes.

Joe Gillis

Oct 3, 2001, 5:14:11 PM10/3/01
>He was a wide receiver at either Florida or Florida State -- IIRC, he
>wore his college number in Longest Yard.
>
>John Harkness

He was a RB at FSU (on the same team as ESPN analyst Lee Corso). In his
freshman year he had a 56 yd run against Auburn (one of the AU players trying
to tackle him was future Alabama governor Fob James). But he tore up his knee
later that season & gave up football.

Woody Strode played a few seasons in the CFL in the late 40s.

Elroy "Crazylegs" Hirsch (Rams WR) gave some "performances" in a few 50s
movies, notably UNCHAINED -- remembered today for its classic theme song.

The late John Matuszak (Raiders DE) did some acting -- notably in a M*AS*H
episode, as a corporal threatening Major Winchester into promoting him (he was
prety good too).

I wasn't aware Paul Robeson (All-American at Rutgers 1916 -- he was inducted
into the College Football Hall Of Fame a few years ago)) ever played pro. I
guess that makes him the best, with honorable mentions to Strode, Chuck
Connors, & Alex Karras.

"I don't mind lying, but I hate inaccuracy." -- Samuel Butler

John Reilly

Oct 3, 2001, 5:20:34 PM10/3/01
No one seems to have mentioned the ex football ("soccer" if you're on the
other side of the Atlantic) players Eric Cantona, who appeared in
"Elizabeth", and Guy Ritchie's favourite, Vinnie Jones.

--
John
(Remove NOSPAM) to Reply

Jeff Coleman

Oct 3, 2001, 5:32:04 PM10/3/01
"Dave T" <david.thomas41@NOBLOOMINSPAMntlworld.> wrote

> There are any number of martial arts-types who competed professionally.
Ken
> Lo, Benny 'The Jet' Urquidez, Billy Chow and Jerry Trimble were all pro
> kickboxers and routinely turn up in Hong Kong movies, usually as bad guys
> (Benny also played the assassin in Grosse Point Blank). Cynthia Rothrock,
> Bill 'Superfoot' Wallace and Chuck Norris have been karate champions a
bunch
> of times, Jet Li, Robin Shou, Ray Park and Brad Allen have all competed in
> Wu Shu tournaments.

Wasn't Jimmy Wang Yu an Olympic swimmer or diver before he became a martial
arts hero?

Jeff

--
www.isaacpriestley.com
Latest album "Days of Being Dumb"
available for download now!

Wull

Oct 3, 2001, 5:34:26 PM10/3/01
Pele had a small role in he Stallone/Caine movie, maybe
"Victory"

Wull

Rosanne

Oct 3, 2001, 6:16:55 PM10/3/01
Esther Williams was a teenage swimming champ and was in training for the Olympics,
but, WWII interfered and the Olympics were canceled.

So she continued her work in a dept. store and was spotted by an MGM talent scout.
I read her autobiography, and she states that her rigorous swim training enabled
her do all those underwater scenes in her movies. Like holding her breath
endlessly while the crew had to rescuer her from unsafe props under water.

Rosanne

aemilia

Oct 3, 2001, 6:59:42 PM10/3/01
On 03 Oct 2001 21:14:11 GMT, cinema...@aol.comedy (Joe Gillis)
wrote:

>The late John Matuszak (Raiders DE) did some acting -- notably in a M*AS*H
>episode, as a corporal threatening Major Winchester into promoting him (he was
>prety good too).

Don't forget, John Matuszak was also Sloth in The Goonies. Sloth
always made me smile....

Did anyone here mention Dean Cain? And, by the way, does anyone know
if he is gay?

aemilia

Hownow

Oct 3, 2001, 7:13:42 PM10/3/01
In article <8b4522b6.0110...@posting.google.com>,
ShaneOttawa <shane...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> mpoco...@aol.comnojunk (Mpoconnor7) wrote in message Has there ever been
> a former
> > professional athlete who could act well?

One of the earliest is American Olympics swimmer Herman Brix, who did a
Tarzan and some other quickies then changed his name to Bruce Bennett
and went on to a long, quite distinguished career. mostly as a
character actor and co-star in many films from the 1930s and '40s
onward.

- hm

John Reilly

Oct 3, 2001, 7:15:21 PM10/3/01
"Wull" <ste...@snow.com> wrote in message

> Pele had a small role in he Stallone/Caine movie, maybe
> "Victory"

Forgot about that one.

There's a load of them in it (Bobby Moore, John Wark, Ossi Ardilles, Co
Prins, Paul Van Himst etc....)
I'd guess this was a record for a single film. Not sure you could accuse
them of doing much acting though.

Mark LoPresti

Oct 3, 2001, 7:29:05 PM10/3/01
Either I'm missing some posts or no one mentioned O.J. Simpson! And I can't
remember his name or the film, but didn't a former World Heavywieght Champion
win an Oscar some years back? Maybe in the 30's?

Interesting thread, but I think the subject line shoulda read Professional
Athletes turned "actors".

Mark LoPresti, Buffalo NY
______________________

"War makes absolute total sense. It's the incredible lack of caring and
appreciation for human life and freedom leading to war that makes the least
sense of all." - 1150

John Harkness

Oct 3, 2001, 7:33:08 PM10/3/01
On Thu, 4 Oct 2001 00:15:21 +0100, "John Reilly"
<jo...@NOSPAMthebigfilm.co.uk> wrote:

>"Wull" <ste...@snow.com> wrote in message
>> Pele had a small role in he Stallone/Caine movie, maybe
>> "Victory"
>
>Forgot about that one.
>
>There's a load of them in it (Bobby Moore, John Wark, Ossi Ardilles, Co
>Prins, Paul Van Himst etc....)
>I'd guess this was a record for a single film. Not sure you could accuse
>them of doing much acting though.
>
>--
>John

Might be able to top it with White Men Can't Jump, which has a load of
NBA and college players in supporting roles.

John Harkness

Nimrod``

Oct 3, 2001, 7:40:53 PM10/3/01
On Wed, 03 Oct 2001 22:59:42 GMT, aemilia <aemilia...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Did anyone here mention Dean Cain? And, by the way, does anyone know
>if he is gay?
>
>aemilia

Yes...he is gay. He told me so hisself, just before that last tango
in Paris.

N``

Joe Gillis

Oct 3, 2001, 8:27:58 PM10/3/01
>Did anyone here mention Dean Cain?

A QB at Princeton, he went to the Bills' training camp in 1988 but was released
before the seaosn started.

Ed Marinaro (RB, Cornell) finished 2nd in the Heisman balloting in 1971 & went
on to a successful acting career on TV.

Ed O'Neill (Married With Children) went to the Steelers camp in 1968 but was
cut during preseason. I don't know what college he attended (Youngstown State?)
or what position he played.

Joe Gillis

Oct 3, 2001, 8:30:11 PM10/3/01

>Esther Williams was a teenage swimming champ and was in training for the
>Olympics,
>but, WWII interfered and the Olympics were canceled.

Didn't she actually win some gold medals at the 1936 Olympics?

Robert John Guttke

Oct 3, 2001, 10:26:30 PM10/3/01

WHY do you keep
commenting on my posts?
Obviously you are a superlative
human being that need not
trouble himself with mere
riff raff as myself, you sad
little man......

Larry LeGallo

Oct 3, 2001, 10:29:36 PM10/3/01
wrote:

>Did anyone here mention Dean Cain? And, by the way, does anyone know
>if he is gay?

Well, supposedly he was Brooke Shields' first, though I'm not sure if
that answers your question.

Rosanne

Oct 3, 2001, 10:48:46 PM10/3/01
Joe Gillis wrote:

> >Esther Williams was a teenage swimming champ and was in training for the
> >Olympics,
> >but, WWII interfered and the Olympics were canceled.
>
> Didn't she actually win some gold medals at the 1936 Olympics?

No, in 1936 she was 13 and just beginning to win local Los Angeles swimming
awards. By 1939 she was winning national awards at a big Des Moines
competition. Then an opportunity to get into a really big contest that would
assure her entrance into the 1940 Olympics, the Pan American Games in Buenos
Aires, her coach at a prestigious LA Athletic Club did not acknowledge her
invitation. Esther later confronted her coach, but, the 1940 Olympics were
canceled by then anyway.

The dept. store where she worked was no less than I. Maguin and she modeled
swim suits. The famous show man Billy Rose invited Esther to join his
Aquacade at the San Francisco's World Fair 1940 where her swimming partner
would be Johnny Weissmuller. She told Rose, no she wanted to try for the
next Olympics and could not swim for money, but, he assured her the world was
at war and the next Olympics would be canceled too.

Rosanne

JR13157

Oct 4, 2001, 12:44:37 AM10/4/01
>>Has there ever been a former professional athlete who could act well?

There was Henry Kulky, former 40's professional wrestler. He was in dozens of
movies and was a rugular on "The Life of Riley", "Hennessy" and "Voyage to the
Bottom of the Sea" TV shows.
Also, boxer "Slapsie" Maxie Rosenbloom was in a lot of movies and TV shows.
Walt.

Jeff Coleman

Oct 4, 2001, 2:41:06 AM10/4/01
"John Reilly" <jo...@NOSPAMthebigfilm.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Wull" <ste...@snow.com> wrote in message
> > Pele had a small role in he Stallone/Caine movie, maybe
> > "Victory"
>
> Forgot about that one.
>
> There's a load of them in it (Bobby Moore, John Wark, Ossi Ardilles, Co
> Prins, Paul Van Himst etc....)
> I'd guess this was a record for a single film. Not sure you could accuse
> them of doing much acting though.

There were plenty of baseball players in the Simpsons episode where Burns
had the softball team--Daryl Strawberry and others--but they didn't really
have much to do :)

Will

Oct 4, 2001, 2:46:36 AM10/4/01
Robert John Guttke <gut...@juno.com> wrote:

> Don't forget Sonia Henne

Hey, a contribution to the newsgroup.

Congratulations!

Mpoconnor7

Oct 4, 2001, 8:44:28 AM10/4/01
>Karl Weathers. In about a million movies. Limited range, but commercially
>successful.

Carl Weathers' NFL career consisted of eight games in the early 70's for the
Raiders; he played for John Madden.
Bernie Casey played in the NFL for several seasons in the late 60's; I would
never have known this except that I was watching an NFL films show about a
month ago and they were discussing him and showed an interview with him done
while he was playing where he was discussing his painting and his views on
civil rights.
Mike Henry was also an NFL player for several seasons in the early 60's IIRC
and his only acting roles of note were as Jackie Gleason's stupid son in the
"Smokey and the Bandit" movies.
Ed Marinaro was a college star at Cornell and played about eight seasons in the
NFL and was part of the ensemble cast of "Hill Street Blues" and was a pretty
decent actor. When I was thinking of athletes who could actually act his name
was one of the few who came to mind.

Mpoconnor7

Oct 4, 2001, 8:48:35 AM10/4/01
>What about Max Baer?
>
>Wull

Of course Max Baer begat Max Baer Jr, better known as Jethro from the "Beverly
Hillbillies" (it always made me wonder if Max Sr. took a few too many blows to
the head for him to have a son who made a very limited career playing an idiot
on a TV show). Max Jr. was not a professional athlete but surely had some
athletic talent as he used to play on Elvis Presley's football team when they
would take on teams of other Hollywood stars like Pat Boone and Lee Majors.

Mpoconnor7

Oct 4, 2001, 8:50:12 AM10/4/01
>Did anyone here mention Dean Cain?

He never played professionally, just in college.

Steve Oldham

Oct 4, 2001, 8:55:22 AM10/4/01
On 04 Oct 2001 00:27:58 GMT, cinema...@aol.comedy (Joe Gillis)
wrote:

>>Did anyone here mention Dean Cain?

>A QB at Princeton, he went to the Bills' training camp in 1988 but was released
>before the seaosn started.

I'm pretty sure that he was a defensive back.

Steve

Mpoconnor7

Oct 4, 2001, 8:54:14 AM10/4/01
Who can forget George "The Animal" Steele appearing in "Ed Wood". It was worth
the price of admission just to see him have a line with Bill Murray when George
said "Mr Bunny, I hear you are becoming a lady."
Roddy Piper starred in the John Carpenter film "They Live" and it was amongst
the best acting work I've ever seen from a pro wrestler.

Bob

Oct 4, 2001, 10:20:20 AM10/4/01

Mpoconnor7 wrote:

> Who can forget George "The Animal" Steele appearing in "Ed Wood". It was worth
> the price of admission just to see him have a line with Bill Murray when George
> said "Mr Bunny, I hear you are becoming a lady."
> Roddy Piper starred in the John Carpenter film "They Live" and it was amongst
> the best acting work I've ever seen from a pro wrestler.

The best "acting" you've ever seen from a pro wrestler was when they were in the
ring.
Bob

wes wildcat

Oct 4, 2001, 10:31:26 AM10/4/01
I forgot another pro wrestler turned actor, Mike Mazurki.

Stephen Cooke

Oct 4, 2001, 11:04:48 AM10/4/01

On 4 Oct 2001, Mpoconnor7 wrote:

> Who can forget George "The Animal" Steele appearing in "Ed Wood". It was worth
> the price of admission just to see him have a line with Bill Murray when George
> said "Mr Bunny, I hear you are becoming a lady."
> Roddy Piper starred in the John Carpenter film "They Live" and it was amongst
> the best acting work I've ever seen from a pro wrestler.

Have we forgotten Hell Comes to Frogtown?

Stephen

BKLATTY

Oct 4, 2001, 11:30:44 AM10/4/01
>I don't know how well "well" is, but Chuck Connors was a pro baseball player
>before he became an actor.

AND a pro basketball player.

BKLATTY

Oct 4, 2001, 11:35:13 AM10/4/01
nobody mentioned Jim Bouton yet?

I thought he was pretty damn good in "The Long Goodbye" and he also won 17 or
18 games for the Yanks one year in the early 60's.

Maureen Goldman

Oct 4, 2001, 11:43:37 AM10/4/01
>>Did anyone here mention Dean Cain? And, by the way, does anyone know
>>if he is gay?

Last I heard, Dean Cain was married to a country singer and they had a
baby. For some time previously he was going with a woman who was a pro
volleyball player.

Stephen Cooke

Oct 4, 2001, 1:19:19 PM10/4/01

Recently, Dean Cain filmed a TV movie here in my workplace called Phase
Four (no relation to the killer ant movie) and he seemed pretty flirty
with the female extras. Then again, so was Kevin Spacey while filming the
Shipping News, so go figure.

Stephen

GC

Oct 4, 2001, 1:34:01 PM10/4/01
>Pele had a small role in he Stallone/Caine movie, maybe
>"Victory"

He's also in MIKE BASSETT ENGLAND MANAGER, which I went to see a couple
of nights ago... he's quite funny in it, too.

Ivan G. Shreve, Jr.

Oct 4, 2001, 4:53:17 PM10/4/01

> Mike Henry was also an NFL player for several seasons in the early 60's
IIRC
> and his only acting roles of note were as Jackie Gleason's stupid son in
the
> "Smokey and the Bandit" movies.
>
> Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

Henry did a couple of the TARZAN movies in the 1960s. too.

Ivan
--
"There's a lot to be said for making people laugh. Did you know that's all
some people have? It isn't much, but it's better than nothing in this

Ted Thompson

Oct 4, 2001, 6:56:59 PM10/4/01
Herman Brix, Olympian aka Bruce Bennett "Treasure of the Sierra Madre"

Fred Williamson, defensive back w/ Kansas City

Ted

Mpoconnor7

Oct 5, 2001, 12:07:45 AM10/5/01
>nobody mentioned Jim Bouton yet?
>
>I thought he was pretty damn good in "The Long Goodbye" and he also won 17 or
>18 games for the Yanks one year in the early 60's.

He also wrote "Ball Four", which was the first expose into what Baseball was
really like behind the scenes.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

Joe Gillis

Oct 5, 2001, 12:12:30 AM10/5/01

>>nobody mentioned Jim Bouton yet?
>>
>>I thought he was pretty damn good in "The Long Goodbye" and he also won 17
>or
>>18 games for the Yanks one year in the early 60's.

IIRC, he won 21 games in 1963.

>He also wrote "Ball Four", which was the first expose into what Baseball was
>really like behind the scenes.

WallSt612

Oct 5, 2001, 6:32:09 PM10/5/01
Either I'm missing some posts or no one mentioned O.J. Simpson! And I can't
remember his name or the film, but didn't a former World Heavywieght Champion
win an Oscar some years back? Maybe in the 30's? >sevgreen

Perhaps you're thinking about Victor McLaglan, a long time memeber of John
Ford's "theatre company?" McLagan was a former heavyweight boxer who once
fought heavyweight champion Jack Johnson. MacLagan broke his hand in the fight
and had to retire after the 5th round.

McLaglan won an Oscar for his performance in the film, "The Informer."

WallSt

WallSt612

Oct 5, 2001, 6:37:40 PM10/5/01
How does a thread like this go on for 12 posts without someone mentioning Jim
Brown, the greatest running back ever?

WallSt

Clifford Blau

Oct 5, 2001, 9:39:19 PM10/5/01
wall...@aol.com (WallSt612) wrote:

>How does a thread like this go on for 12 posts without someone mentioning Jim
>Brown, the greatest running back ever?

It doesn't. Try reading the original post.

Will

Oct 5, 2001, 10:26:22 PM10/5/01
WallSt612 <wall...@aol.com> wrote:

> How does a thread like this go on for 12 posts without someone
> mentioning Jim Brown, the greatest running back ever?

Jim Brown has been mentioned.

The greatest running back of all times, however, has not been
mentioned, probably because Gale Sayers' acting career is _very_ slim.

WallSt612

Oct 6, 2001, 1:53:06 AM10/6/01
Subject: Re: Professional Athletes turned actors
From: br...@erols.com.noham (Clifford Blau)
Date: 10/5/2001 8:39 PM Central Daylight Time

wall...@aol.com (WallSt612) wrote:

My apologies. When you access this boiard using aol, not all the posts from
other servers show up.

WallSt

Jim Beaver

Oct 6, 2001, 3:33:10 AM10/6/01
Missed the beginning of the thread. Anyone mention Woody Strode, who played
for the L.A. Rams?

Or John Berardino, who had a cup of coffee in the bigs?

Roman Gabriel and Merlin Olsen, NFLers, did a few movies and TV.

And I believe Jay Silverheels played lacrosse professionally.

Jim Beaver

Joe Gillis

Oct 6, 2001, 8:18:24 AM10/6/01

>And I believe Jay Silverheels played lacrosse professionally.

There are people who PAY to watch lacrosse???

Brent McKee

Oct 9, 2001, 3:29:37 AM10/9/01

> >Did anyone here mention Dean Cain?
>
> He never played professionally, just in college.

If I'm not mistaken, Dean Cain signed with the Bills but wrecked his knee
during training. Of course, the way the Bills are playing this year, he
could very well try a comeback and end up as the starting QB.

Merlin Olsen did some acting, mainly on TV ("Little House on the Prairie",
"Father Murphy") for his friend Michael Landon, but he did appear in "The
Undefeated" with John Wayne and Rock Hudson.

Buster Crabbe was an Olympic gold medalist in 1932 in swimming and parlayed
that into a pretty good film career, although of course he wasn't a pro
athlete. Similarly, both Ward Bond and John Wayne were on the USC Trojans
team in 1927. Interestingly Wayne's brother, Bobby Morrison played pro
football with the (iirc) Los Angeles Dons of the NFL.

--
Brent McKee

To reply by email, please remove the capital letters (S and N) from the
email address

"If we cease to judge this world, we may find ourselves, very quickly, in
one which is infinitely worse."
- Margaret Atwood

Brent McKee

Oct 9, 2001, 3:29:40 AM10/9/01

Jim Beaver <jumb...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

After "The Lone Ranger" left the air he also became a professional Harness
Racing driver. One time he was asked if he had ever driven Scout (Tonto's
horse) in a race. Jay replied "I could beat Scout."