most boring, pointless film

1 view

Carter Lupton

Apr 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/22/97

Michael O'Brien,,, (mik...@charger.newhaven.edu) wrote:
: What is the most boring, pointless and unwatchable film you ever saw?
: A movie where you spent 2 hours waiting for something interesting or
: comprehensible to happen, and it never did? A movie that went nowhere for
: 90 minutes or longer, and then just left you hanging, wondering what was
: on the writer's mind?

My wife and her mother felt that way about The Piano.

TBenton933

Apr 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/22/97

By a wide margin "Scenes from a Marriage." Saw it on a date and by the
end both me and my date were comotose.

Tom Benton

GARYW BW

Apr 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/22/97

Babette's Feast, with Chariots of Fire a close second.

Michael O'Brien,,,

Apr 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/22/97

What is the most boring, pointless and unwatchable film you ever saw?
A movie where you spent 2 hours waiting for something interesting or
comprehensible to happen, and it never did? A movie that went nowhere for
90 minutes or longer, and then just left you hanging, wondering what was
on the writer's mind?

My vote would be for Altman's 3 women, or Roeg's "Don't Look Now."

--
Michael O'Brien, mik...@charger.newhaven.edu
University of New Haven

lsmills

Apr 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/22/97

"Z", The Spy Who Came in From the Cold, Trainspotting and Three Women-
YAWN!!!!!

Kent Parks

Apr 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/22/97

Michael O'Brien,,, (mik...@charger.newhaven.edu) wrote:
: What is the most boring, pointless and unwatchable film you ever saw?

: A movie where you spent 2 hours waiting for something interesting or
: comprehensible to happen, and it never did? A movie that went nowhere for
: 90 minutes or longer, and then just left you hanging, wondering what was
: on the writer's mind?
:
: My vote would be for Altman's 3 women, or Roeg's "Don't Look Now."

3 Women is brilliant, but you have to watch it about 3 times before you
realize that.

Kent Parks

Apr 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/22/97

"Safe" starring Julianne Moore

T.Cruise

Apr 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/23/97

"The Misfits" I wanted to like this film, because of of the stellar
cast, the author, the director, and the history of the production.
Unfortunately, it's ponderous, rambling, verbose, and a bore.

T.Cruise

Chris

Apr 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/23/97

Michael O'Brien,,, wrote:

> What is the most boring, pointless and unwatchable film you ever saw?
> A movie where you spent 2 hours waiting for something interesting or
> comprehensible to happen, and it never did? A movie that went nowhere for
> 90 minutes or longer, and then just left you hanging, wondering what was
> on the writer's mind?

Forrest Gump, definitely.

Stig Oppedal

Apr 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/23/97

The Norwegian movie "Kristin Lavransdatter" (1995), based on the Nobel
Prize winning book by Sigrid Undset, directed by - ugh! - Liv Ullmann.
2h 45m of sheer boredom and undescribable mediocrity, before a rather
good finale that lasted 15 minutes.

A few months ago I dreamt I was in a movie theater, and upon realizing
that "Kristin Lavransdatter" was on the screen I got out of my seat and
said "There's no way I'm going to watch this again - I want another
dream!" (and the next instant I was dodging bulls in Pamplona, which was
much preferable).

---Stig

Irena Pogarcic

Apr 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/23/97

In article <5jjgml$90l$3...@fddinewz.oit.unc.edu>, Kent Parks
<pa...@news.unc.edu> writes

>"Safe" starring Julianne Moore

I personaly liked 'Safe' very much, but it isn't a film with universal
appeal.

Films that I have found most pointless were 'Zabriskie Point' and most
recently 'Beyond the Clouds', both by Michelangelo Antonioni.
Nic Roeg's 'Walkabout' also comes to mind.
--
Irena Pogarcic

Doug Milsome

Apr 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/23/97

How about CRASH....with all the perversity, and so-called lotsa sex, I
almost fell asleep....probably Cronenberg's point but he is no Kubrick

Mark E. Smith

Apr 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/23/97

In article <5jitm4$2...@babyblue.cs.yale.edu>,

mik...@charger.newhaven.edu (Michael O'Brien,,,) wrote:
> What is the most boring, pointless and unwatchable film you
> ever saw?

I'll think of more later, but the one that leaps to mind is A
PASSAGE TO INDIA.
--
Mark E. Smith <msm...@tfs.net>

Steve Reed

Apr 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/23/97

mik...@charger.newhaven.edu (Michael O'Brien,,,) writes:

>What is the most boring, pointless and unwatchable film you ever saw?

>A movie where you spent 2 hours waiting for something interesting or
>comprehensible to happen, and it never did? A movie that went nowhere for
>90 minutes or longer, and then just left you hanging, wondering what was
>on the writer's mind?

For me, it's one of the most monumental wastes of talent ever perpetrated:
"The War of the Roses," starring Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas, directed
by Danny DeVito.

A pointless exercise in nihilism. I waited, and waited, to get any kind of
focus to WHY these characters were intent on destroying each other. It finally
became clear: This was destruction for the sheer comic "value" of destruction.

It wore me out. It was such a polished, technically well-done black pearl of
nihilism that I had to stay to the end. I didn't walk out (as I've only done
with two films-in-the-cinema in my life, Jerry Lewis's "The Family Jewels" and
Chevy Chase's "Funny Farm"). It was too horrifying a waste to ignore, since
I'd sunk my $7 into it already.

= = = = = New email address! = = = = =
Steve Reed ... Stev...@earthling.net
Piece of Sky Consulting
Fine Typography and Windows(R) Support

Reverie01

Apr 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/24/97

Cries and Whispers. Those Swedish films must lose something in the
translation.

Chris

"Instant gratification takes too long"

Vozhd

Apr 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/24/97

Recent contenders would include CHAPLIN (1992), WYATT EARP
(1994), and STRIPTEASE (1996). Foreign films must go a ways to match LAST
YEAR AT MARIENBAD.
VOZHD

"Harm my flesh, and you will deal with the dead!"

- Mako, CONAN THE BARBARIAN

William Sakovich

Apr 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/24/97

"Wise Blood" directed by John Huston. This would probably take the
award as the most boring pointless film, directed by a famous
director, and fawned over by the critics anyway.

- Bill Sakovich (sako...@gol.com)

Gene Bohot

Apr 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/24/97
to Steve Reed

> >What is the most boring, pointless and unwatchable film you ever saw?
>
> For me, it's one of the most monumental wastes of talent ever perpetrated:
> "The War of the Roses," starring Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas, directed
> by Danny DeVito.

Steve; I hate to disagree with you, but I was surprised you did not care
for three of the funniest movies I have seen. I guess my taste in movies
may be a little warped, but I would nominate for "worst waste of time";

a) Most movies that have won an Academy Award.
b) Most 'art' or foreign movies.
c) "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe?" with Taylor and Burton.

Anyway, I guess differences of opinion are what makes for good horse
races. I happen to like mindless slapstick; hang the depth of meaning.
"Bring on more of the Marx Brothers".
Gene Bohot

vjmorton

Apr 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/24/97

Much as I dislike The Piano (already named), and Blue Velvet and
Natural-Born Killers, I don't think these are boring and pointless
exactly, just smug, arbitrary, ill-thought-out and other faults. Among
English-language films, I pick the film I saw last night -- The
Daytrippers. A tortured conceit leading to a weary slog through tiresome
characters in pointless episodes; a "surprise" twist ending that I saw
coming in the first reel; several scenes left out of the third act; an
ending so chic in its pointed pointlessness; and an overall unhealthy
attitude toward life. To turn Gene Siskel's phrase, I don't expect to
see a worse film this year.
For non-English films, I have to go with my favorite art-house frauds --
Robert Bresson's L'Argent and Andrei Tarkovsky's Mirror.
And finally, a POX on those who named Cries and Whispers, Scenes From A
Marriage and Babette's Feast earlier in this thread!!! ;-)

Union Films

Apr 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/24/97

Weekend, the French film by whoever (was it Godard???) A twenty minute
pan downa traffic jam is not my idea of fun.
Calender. Egan Atomyan (not spelt right that I think) Something to do
with a man going on lots of dates in Canada and shooting some photos in
some ex-Russian republic. It might have meant something to the director
but left me baffled.

Geraint

FireMagik

Apr 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/24/97

Steve Reed wrote:

> mik...@charger.newhaven.edu (Michael O'Brien,,,) writes:
>
> >What is the most boring, pointless and unwatchable film you ever saw?
> >A movie where you spent 2 hours waiting for something interesting or
> >comprehensible to happen, and it never did? A movie that went nowhere for
> >90 minutes or longer, and then just left you hanging, wondering what was
> >on the writer's mind?
>
> For me, it's one of the most monumental wastes of talent ever perpetrated:
> "The War of the Roses," starring Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas, directed
> by Danny DeVito.
>
> A pointless exercise in nihilism. I waited, and waited, to get any kind of
> focus to WHY these characters were intent on destroying each other. It finally
> became clear: This was destruction for the sheer comic "value" of destruction.
>
> It wore me out. It was such a polished, technically well-done black pearl of
> nihilism that I had to stay to the end.

I completely agree with you about this film. It was painful to watch,
yet I stayed to the end.

Christina Stanley

Apr 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/25/97

On Thu, 24 Apr 1997 02:27:04 -0700, Gene Bohot <gbcu...@aviastar.net>
wrote:

>> >What is the most boring, pointless and unwatchable film you ever saw?
>>

>> For me, it's one of the most monumental wastes of talent ever perpetrated:
>> "The War of the Roses," starring Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas, directed
>> by Danny DeVito.
>

>c) "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe?" with Taylor and Burton.

Hi--I just wanna point out that these two movies are essentially the
same--both of the screen duos are infamous for their self-absorbtion,
and these movies are exercises in scenery shredding...this is your
standard "Look at the scope of my acting abilities" role for all of
them.

I do think De Vito's directing in "War..." was passable.

Christina

50% Mary, 50% Rhoda

Mesmer

Apr 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/25/97

Michael O'Brien,,, (mik...@charger.newhaven.edu) wrote:

: What is the most boring, pointless and unwatchable film you ever saw?

: A movie where you spent 2 hours waiting for something interesting or

: comprehensible to happen, and it never did? A movie that went nowhere for
: 90 minutes or longer, and then just left you hanging, wondering what was
: on the writer's mind?

: My vote would be for Altman's 3 women, or Roeg's "Don't Look Now."

Beyond a shadow of a doubt: Four Rooms with Tim Roth, utterly putrid BS!

.....just bumping along...
Mesmer....docile, loyal and prone to skittishness....

DBCx

Apr 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/25/97

"My Dinner with Andre" certainly ought to rate up there at the top of this
list. Where was the dessert?

sd...@netcom.ca

Apr 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/25/97
to Steve Reed

Steve Reed wrote:
> For me, it's one of the most monumental wastes of talent ever perpetrated:
> "The War of the Roses," starring Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas, directed
> by Danny DeVito.
>
> A pointless exercise in nihilism. I waited, and waited, to get any kind of
> focus to WHY these characters were intent on destroying each other. It finally
> became clear: This was destruction for the sheer comic "value" of destruction.
>
> It wore me out. It was such a polished, technically well-done black pearl of
> nihilism that I had to stay to the end. I didn't walk out (as I've only done
> with two films-in-the-cinema in my life, Jerry Lewis's "The Family Jewels" and
> Chevy Chase's "Funny Farm"). It was too horrifying a waste to ignore, since
> I'd sunk my $7 into it already.

It's called "black comedy" and/or satire.

And don't worry, many people just don't 'get it'. Personally, I loved
"Roses". So dark, so funny. But I hated (really, really, REALLY hated)
"Mars Attacks!". But usually when I reveal this, some people insist
that I just don't 'get it'. Hmmm...

And I have only walked out of one movie: "Oscar" with Sylvester
Stallone. Well, technically, I drove out, since it was the second
feature at a drive-in. (I should have known. When I read that Sly
Stallone and eminent auteur John Landis were collaborating on a remake
of a French bedroom farce, I thought to myself, "Must see cinema!" But
I have almost always disappointed when two geniuses collide.)

Although I did not walk out of it, I know that I fell asleep during
"Gandhi", because I missed World War 2. I wasn't even aware that I had
slept until somebody in the film mentioned the war ending two years
earlier and I thought (once again, to myself), "What war?!?"

Steve Wellington

OptechForklift Training, Inc.

Apr 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/25/97

Steve Reed wrote:

> mik...@charger.newhaven.edu (Michael O'Brien,,,) writes:
>
> >What is the most boring, pointless and unwatchable film you ever saw?
> >A movie where you spent 2 hours waiting for something interesting or
> >comprehensible to happen, and it never did? A movie that went nowhere for
> >90 minutes or longer, and then just left you hanging, wondering what was
> >on the writer's mind?

_Duel_, definitely. One of (or maybe the) Stephen Spielberg's first.
What could he have been thinking? Worse yet, we saw it in school, with
no prior explanation of what would appear on the screen.

A close second, _The 'Burbs_.

FireMagik

Apr 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/25/97

sd...@netcom.ca wrote:

> Steve Reed wrote:
> > For me, it's one of the most monumental wastes of talent ever perpetrated:
> > "The War of the Roses," starring Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas, directed
> > by Danny DeVito.
> >
> > A pointless exercise in nihilism. I waited, and waited, to get any kind of
> > focus to WHY these characters were intent on destroying each other. It finally
> > became clear: This was destruction for the sheer comic "value" of destruction.
> >
> > It wore me out. It was such a polished, technically well-done black pearl of
> > nihilism that I had to stay to the end.

<snip>

> It's called "black comedy" and/or satire.
>
> And don't worry, many people just don't 'get it'. Personally, I loved
> "Roses". So dark, so funny. But I hated (really, really, REALLY hated)
> "Mars Attacks!". But usually when I reveal this, some people insist
> that I just don't 'get it'. Hmmm...

> Steve Wellington

Actually, I did 'get it'. I just didn't think 'it' was funny. Just a
matter of personal taste.

Vincent G. Macek

Apr 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/25/97

OptechForklift Training wrote:
<<..._Duel_, definitely. One of (or maybe the) Stephen Spielberg's
first. What could he have been thinking? Worse yet, we saw it in
school, with no prior explanation of what would appear on the
screen.>>

I dunno; I got into this film quickly. One of those horror stories
that are scary because they're realistic. I'm living in a city where
people get shot because they're blocking traffic.

VMacek

Philip Tone

Apr 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/25/97

Vozhd wrote:

> Recent contenders would include CHAPLIN (1992), WYATT EARP
> (1994), and STRIPTEASE (1996). Foreign films must go a ways to match LAST
> YEAR AT MARIENBAD.

any film must go a long way to match LYAM. the quintessential boring
film.

the toner

reese

Apr 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/26/97

i nominate "bed of roses." while all the flowers were nice to look at,
the movie was in desperate need of a real plot.

vjmorton

Apr 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/26/97

Union Films <u...@soton.ac.uk> wrote:
>Weekend, the French film by whoever (was it Godard???) A twenty minute
>pan downa traffic jam is not my idea of fun.

Wow ... coming to the defense of Godard and Resnais in the same thread.

I'm not sure why Geraint thought the traffic jam was supposed to be
"fun." First of all, as a technical exercise it's breathtaking (although
it is "only" about 7 minutes), like watching a man walk a tightrope, "he
can't go on like this ... can he?" Second, it universalizes the satire
of car ownership that the film follows from the beginning. In that
single take, we see all the classes of society, all the uses and
diversions of cars, of life and their casual cruelty. We also see the
couple push their way to the front of the jam. Lastly, if there was any
Godard film that was any fun, it was this one. I laughed out loud at the
fight between the two bourgeois and their cars that becomes a gunfight.
It was surreal. The plot to bump off grandma was preposterous and theior
seriousness meant you laughed twice. Godard's speechifying didn't start
until near the end and by that time, he's undercut it all with this
surreal satire. All in all, this was a marvelous picture, and this
confirming from a dyed-in-the-wool Godard loather.

Victor

vjmorton

Apr 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/26/97

Philip Tone <p...@uconx.com> wrote:
>Vozhd wrote:
>>
>>Recent contenders would include CHAPLIN (1992), WYATT EARP (1994), and STRIPTEASE (1996). Foreign films must go a ways to match LA=
ST YEAR AT MARIENBAD.

>any film must go a long way to match LYAM. the quintessential boring
>film.
>
>the toner

Actually, much as I hate to say this, Last Year at Marienbad is not Alain Resnais' most boring, most pointless film. I will give tha=
t title to Hiroshima, Mon Amour. LYAM, though it is a bad film, one of the most preposterous ever and anyone who takes it seriously =
is a fool, I've almost started to love to hate it. By the third time I saw it, I had learned to laugh at its subject matter, solemn =
pretensions and style and almost to admire the cinematography and art direction just for themselves. Seeing it drunk (but not fit-sh=
aced) also helps.

Think of it as the art-house post-modern masterpiece ... the Plan 9 From Outer Space for intellectuals. ;-)

Victor

roger

Apr 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/26/97

crumb

--
http://www.every-era.com ro...@every-era.com

Corporations don't lie, cheat, and steal. People do.

dam...@panix.com

Apr 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/26/97

Superman III

and

Rocky Mountain

were pointless.

Ricky Cheatwood

Apr 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/26/97

dam...@panix.com (dam...@panix.com) wrote:

>Superman III

>and

>Rocky Mountain

Sister Act 2 - absolutely worthless
Ricky Cheatwood
xstr...@iwl.net

Tom Miller

Apr 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/26/97

My top contenders:

"My Dinner With Andre" - I would have started ordered drano with a
wood alcohol chaser if I was ever stuck in a dinner with a pretentious
blowhard like Andre.

"Bliss" - the Australian film from a dozen years or so ago - not the
new one, which I haven't seen.

"Antonia's Line" - At least I discovered how boring it was to watch
stoicism personified for two hours.

Tom Miller

Jack Heraty

Apr 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/26/97

"My Dinner With Andre". Did anyone besides Siskel and Ebert really
like this movie?
"Something Wild". Excruciating, with the always excruciating Melanie
Griffith.
"Striptease". 'Nuff said.
"Scrooged". Totally unfunny.
"Buddy Buddy", the low point of the careers of Jack Lemmon and Walter
Matthau.
"Neighbors". The low point of the careers of John Belushi and Dan
Aykroyd.
Anything by John Hughes featuring the "Brat Pack", with "The Breakfast
Club" leading the way.
--
Jack Heraty
My real address is "sprack at ix.netcom.com"

The movies are great medicine/
Thank you, Thomas Edison/
For giving us The Best Years of Our Lives

- The Statler Brothers

Steve Tedder

Apr 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/26/97

(Michael O'Brien,,,) wrote:

> What is the most boring, pointless and unwatchable film you ever saw?

Got to be "On Golden Pond".

HBF

Apr 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/26/97

DBCx wrote:

> "My Dinner with Andre" certainly ought to rate up there at the top of this
> list. Where was the dessert?

Personally, "Barton Fink" I sat in the theater with my mouth open the
whole time (and not from eating popcorn) I was stupefied by the whole
thing.

Ron

Apr 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/26/97

For my wife and I it was _'The_English_Patient_' We know, we know...
all those Oscars... so what? We felt cheated out of time and money and I
must say we didnt hear any raves from the other theater goers that
night. It went all over the place, had too many subplots and no
sympathetic characters. In short, it sucked.

Shambler

Apr 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/26/97

Daniel M Iannarelli wrote:

> n article <3360DF...@voicenet.com>, "OptechForklift Training, Inc."
> <opt...@voicenet.com> writes

> >Steve Reed wrote:

Jack. What the hell was Robin Williams doing in a piece of shit like
that?

Robert Birchard

Apr 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/26/97

Michael O'Brien,,, wrote:

> What is the most boring, pointless and unwatchable film you ever saw?
> A movie where you spent 2 hours waiting for something interesting or
> comprehensible to happen, and it never did? A movie that went nowhere for
> 90 minutes or longer, and then just left you hanging, wondering what was
> on the writer's mind?
>
> My vote would be for Altman's 3 women, or Roeg's "Don't Look Now."
> Both good choices, but the list is so long: Nashville, Zabriskie
Point, The Damned, The Shining, The Color Purple (the film, not the
book), Amadaeus (the film, not the play), Zachariah: The First Electric
Western, The Strawberry Statement, Medium Cool, Magnificent Obsession,
Rancho DeLuxe, Return to Oz, Ragtime (the film, not the book), Ziegfeld
Follies, Lost in the Stratosphere, How to Make a Monster, Limelight . .
.

--
Bob Birchard
bbir...@earthlink.net

Daniel M Iannarelli

Apr 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/26/97

n article <3360DF...@voicenet.com>, "OptechForklift Training, Inc."
<opt...@voicenet.com> writes

>Steve Reed wrote:
>>
>> mik...@charger.newhaven.edu (Michael O'Brien,,,) writes:
>>
>> >What is the most boring, pointless and unwatchable film you ever saw?
>> >A movie where you spent 2 hours waiting for something interesting or
>> >comprehensible to happen, and it never did? A movie that went nowhere for
>> >90 minutes or longer, and then just left you hanging, wondering what was
>> >on the writer's mind?
>>
>_Duel_, definitely. One of (or maybe the) Stephen Spielberg's first.
>What could he have been thinking? Worse yet, we saw it in school, with
>no prior explanation of what would appear on the screen.

I strongly disagree. On the contrary, the movie 'Duel' DID INDEED have a
'point'. I consider this film to be an excellent exercise or study in
psychology between the personalities of both the Dennis Weaver character
and his uninvited tormentor...but particularly that of the former.

The psychological fencing between these two adversaries gives us food
for thought as to what each of us could or would do under similar
circumstances. However, this does not apply only to the depicted
scenario, but also to any everyday scenario we may find ourselves in.
Consider our business lives, personal lives, politics and any other
aspect of living and dealing with others that you care to mention.
Aren't we all, in most cases, continually trying to establish a superior
role through the sometimes subconscious art of 'one-upmanship'?

We constantly all go through negotiation processes in our contact with
other people. Okay, the 'Duel' scenario was a bit extreme - but, believe
me, there are a lot of nutters out there. What would you do if you met
one? What if one decided to mark you as a target for his/her own vicious
sadistic pleasure? It is very interesting to note that this is exactly
what has happened to the Weaver character in 'Duel'. Look at both his
actions and reactions to his changing circumstances as the film
progresses. His personality traverses anger, hatred, fear, apprehension,
concern, nonchalance, panic, bravado, despair, hope, relief...and
umpteen other emotional changes.

I sincerely think that this film can teach us a-hell-of-a-lot about
ourselves and the way in which we conduct and apply ourselves to
everyday life.
--
Daniel M Iannarelli
Edinburgh, Scotland

I wonder

Apr 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/26/97

Bob Martin wrote:

> mik...@charger.newhaven.edu (Michael O'Brien,,,) wrote:
>
> > What is the most boring, pointless and unwatchable film you ever saw?
> >A movie where you spent 2 hours waiting for something interesting or
> >comprehensible to happen, and it never did?
>
> How about most Merchant Ivory movies? Particularly any with Helen Bonham
> Carter (I still can't believe Kenneth Branagh gave up Emma Thompson for
> HBC!!!).
>
> I also thought "The Garden of the Fitzi-Continis" was pretty tedious as
> well. I for one was happy to see the whole family marched off to a death
> camp simply because they were such bad actors.
>
> And I know I'll step on some toes here, but Mr. Tarantino manages to bore
> me to tears even with all the gore and violence.
>
> Bob Martin
>
> "Have you tried 22 tonight? I said, 22."

Casino Royale

Bob Martin

Apr 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/27/97

Daryl Mok

Apr 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/27/97

"Barcelona"

The two main characters who were brothers were just about the most
boring protagonists I have ever seen in a film. I was so glad when they
shot the irritating one (too bad he didn't die.. :)

Daryl

TBenton933

Apr 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/27/97
I agree. If I can't stand the characters, I am not really going to care
what happens to them. Making the movie long just prolonged my agony.

Tom Benton

SpSimba

Apr 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/27/97

Daryl Mok <dary...@pacific.net.sg> writes in response to the above
subject:

>"Barcelona"

I second this choice. I clapped when they shot bastard. One of the
single most irritating movies I've ever seen.

Tom Miller

Apr 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/27/97

Daryl Mok <dary...@pacific.net.sg> wrote:

>"Barcelona"

>The two main characters who were brothers were just about the most
>boring protagonists I have ever seen in a film. I was so glad when they
>shot the irritating one (too bad he didn't die.. :)

Actually, I loved this film and dearly wish Whit Stillman would make
movies more often. But I'm a big fan of great dialogue.

Tom Miller

Jesper Lauridsen

Apr 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/27/97

Philip Tone <p...@uconx.com> writes:

>Vozhd wrote:
>>
>> Recent contenders would include CHAPLIN (1992), WYATT EARP

>> (1994), and STRIPTEASE (1996). Foreign films must go a ways to match LAST
>> YEAR AT MARIENBAD.

>any film must go a long way to match LYAM. the quintessential boring
>film.

>the toner

L'année dernière à Marienbad (notice how I use the French title to show
my intellectual superiority) is far from being boring, I found it deeply
fascinating and the visuals quite attractive (where was it filmed?).

If you're looking for boring French movies, try Godard's "Deux ou trois
choses que je sais d'elle" or Bresson's attempt at doing a Godard movie
"Le Diable probablement". The later was a big disappointment, as his
previous movies are brilliant.

But for the really pointless experience, you must go to Hollywood. Where
else can you find such utter crap as "Lethal Weapon" or "Rocky 127"?

Kimberley

Apr 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/27/97

GOTTA be 'The English Patient'...I HATED that movie. I know, I know—it
got raves and lotsa awards but I couldn't WAIT for that pig to end! If
my mom hadn't been glued to her seat, I'd have asked for my money back.
Bleah.

Robert...@teleport.com

Apr 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/27/97

> "Vincent G. Macek" <vma...@mindspring.com> writes:
> OptechForklift Training wrote:

> <<..._Duel_, definitely. One of (or maybe the) Stephen Spielberg's

> first. What could he have been thinking? Worse yet, we saw it in
> school, with no prior explanation of what would appear on the
> screen.>>

> I dunno; I got into this film quickly. One of those horror stories
> that are scary because they're realistic. I'm living in a city where
> people get shot because they're blocking traffic.

Hey! What city do you live in? I'm all for shooting people who
block traffic...Having lived (shortly) in the SF Bay area where
idiots think nothing of double parking so they can window shop,
a few well placed rounds might greatly aid traffic flow....

JimNeibaur

Apr 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/28/97

Roughly 60 % of the movies made after 1955 or so -- for every Godfather
there seems to be about a dozen movies like Ghost and Forrest Gump.

I guess the standouts are the overblown, pretentious epics like Ryan's
Daughter or the movies in which special effects are the real star like
ID4.

It would be as hard to pick a most boring as it would be to choose a most
exciting -- but Forrest Gump comes to mind first, perhaps because of its
incredible popularity which only intensifies my hatred.

Jim

Robert...@teleport.com

Apr 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/28/97

> ro...@every-era.com (roger) writes:
> crumb

> http://www.every-era.com ro...@every-era.com

> Corporations don't lie, cheat, and steal. People do.

Hmmmm, huh..."corportations" are regarded as "individuals"
by the law...so...corporations >in fact< "lie, cheat and steal".

RalphBener

Apr 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/28/97

I "third" the comment about "Barcelona." Should be entitled "Barfalona."

sd...@netcom.ca

Apr 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/28/97

Man, it's gotta be "Gone With The Wind"!

First of all, _who_ didn't know that the south lost the war? I mean,
_everybody_ in the theatre knew it!!!

Second, the characters. I mean, like they've been dead for, like, 100
years, man! _Who_ cares about them??? Scarlett was a major babe, but,
cripes, when I saw the movie, tomorrow was just another day that
Scarlett had been dead for. (Hey, man, did I end that last sentence
with aproposition? I don't know.... is "for" a proposition?)

And, oh, yeah, that guy with the moustache? Man, he was old enough to
be Scarlett's _father_! Plus, he wasn't even good looking, man. Didn't
they have any _weights_ in the Civil War? Plus, his teeth looked
funny.

And that scene with all the dead and wounded soldiers? (I think it was
Atlanta, but I didn't see any Coca Cola logos, so maybe not.) Anyway,
that scene wasn't so great. Did anybody see the nuclear holocaust scene
in Terminator 2? If you did, then you _know_ that it just kicks the ass
of the GWTW scene!

And then there was that Melanie/Melody/whatever. Was she supposed to
be a _babe_?!?! Cause she _wasn't_, man. In fact, she kinda looked
like my mom! Oops, gotta go... Babylon 5 is starting...

Steve Wellington
All man, man!

Christina Stanley

Apr 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/28/97

On 25 Apr 1997 00:06:26 GMT, db...@aol.com (DBCx) wrote:

>"My Dinner with Andre" certainly ought to rate up there at the top of this
>list. Where was the dessert?

Oh, yes!! I tried to watch this one and couldn't get through it. And
I *love* Wallace Shawn in everything he does---even that Ferengi
character he periodically plays. One of these days, I might give this
one another chance, but I don't see it happening....

Christina

50% Mary, 50% Rhoda

Jim Mann

Apr 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/28/97

Bob Martin wrote:

> How about most Merchant Ivory movies? Particularly any with Helen Bonham
> Carter (I still can't believe Kenneth Branagh gave up Emma Thompson for
> HBC!!!).

I'm hard pressed to think of a Merchant Ivory film that wasn't a
wonderful film. The characters are generally so compelling that I find
myself engrossed in the films.

LBale34467

Apr 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/28/97

In article <336468...@netcom.ca>, sd...@netcom.ca writes:

<massive snippage of humour-ridden 'satire'>

> And then there was that Melanie/Melody/whatever. Was she supposed to
>be a _babe_?!?! Cause she _wasn't_, man. In fact, she kinda looked
>like my mom! Oops, gotta go... Babylon 5 is starting...
>
>Steve Wellington
>All man, man!

Steve,

I can tell you are bored. Right? You're bored? Why not attend a School
Of Laughter For The Humour-Deprived Students? I hear they have a few
more places on one of these excellent courses. I can recommend you
heartily, if you wish.
I do *so* want to help people like you - you gotta have some direction in
life, and the school can help you with that...*a lot*.

Your friendly pal, always,

Catty (5'6" tall).

PS
I have tried *so* hard to watch GWTW - right to the end, but after about
60 mins or so, I just want to run out of the flat, screaming.

Philip Tone

Apr 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/28/97

vjmorton wrote:

> Philip Tone <p...@uconx.com> wrote:
> >
> >any film must go a long way to match LYAM. the quintessential boring
> >film.
> >
> >the toner
>
> Actually, much as I hate to say this, Last Year at Marienbad is not Alain Resnais' most boring, most pointless film. I will give that title to Hiroshima, Mon Amour. LYAM, though it is a bad film, one of the most preposterous ever and anyone who takes it seriously is a fool, I've almost started to love to hate it. By the third time I saw it, I had learned to laugh at its subject matter, solemn pretensions and style and almost to admire the cinematography and art direction just for themselves. See
>
> Think of it as the art-house post-modern masterpiece ... the Plan 9 From Outer Space for intellectuals. ;-)
>
> Victor

I think I will have to defer to Victor's judgment, since he has been so
brave as to see LYAM three (!) times. Trying to fill gaps in my viewing
of "classic" foreign films, for Resnais I started with LYAM, so I never
got to HMA. Sorry about that.

the toner

p.s. sorry also about that "quintessential" business. a dangerous, and
most probably erroneous, statement. especially if we take into account
some of Warhol's self-indulgent pseudo-hip garbage back in the 60's.

TomHarri

Apr 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/29/97

I vote for "Drowning By Numbers." An ugly, ugly film.

James C. Kaufman

Apr 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/29/97

: wrote:

: >> >What is the most boring, pointless and unwatchable film you ever saw?

: >c) "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe?" with Taylor and Burton.
: >

Odd -- Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf is one of my favorite movies (well,
filmed plays, really). One person's poison....

ALEX

Apr 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/29/97

Most boring, pointless film was BACKTRACK, starring Jodie Foster and
directed by Dennis Hopper.

Fredrik Broman

Apr 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/29/97

The bitter tears of Petra von Kant by RW Fassbinder. Could someone out
there please explain why they like this piece of pretentious shit?
Come to Fassbinder's defence! I really want to know if someone liked
this and why. It's as exciting as watching grass grow (or paint dry).

Jeffrey Davis

Apr 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/29/97

The only Fassbinder film I ever saw was The Marriage of Maria Braun
which was a tour de force: the film traced the life of a woman following
WWII, and each stage of her life was filmed in the style of German
cinema
which would have been current at that time in history. That sounds
wretched,
I know -- sort of like a history of the 50s told as a series of sit coms
and Westerns* -- but Fassbinder managed the transitions fairly
seamlessly.
He seemed to have been an accomplished, ambitious film maker.

A similar effort -- Until the End of the World -- by Wim Wenders wasn't
quite as nice. It seemed merely to be a pastiche of sci-fi cliches. I
imagine USENET, densely populated by sci-fi fans, might reverse my
estimate of TMofMB and UtEotW.

--
Jeffrey Davis <da...@ca.uky.edu>
"More heroin, Mother?"

Mar...@webtv.net

Apr 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/29/97

In article

<5jvuj8$h...@camel3.mindspring.com>,

wrote:

> >"Barcelona"

didn't die.. :)

great dialogue.

> Tom Miller

'Metropolitan' & 'Barcelona' contain some

of the most brilliant (& FUNNY) dialogue I

have ever heard (& as an aspiring

filmmaker, I watch a plethora of films).

Unlike many contemporary writers/directors,

Whit Stillman does not clutter his films w/

profanity. Today's film audiences,

unfortunately, are accustomed to seeing

films that use 4-letter words, racial &

sexist slurs left & right.

I don't believe Stillman is a huge fan of

plot, but, IMO, the fact that he addresses

cultural issues that no one else seems to

touch (i.e. fear of failure among NYC debs

& hatred of Americans overseas) only makes

his style more interesting.

I won't say I don't understand how anyone

can find Stillman boring. He definitely

does not have very much in common w/

Tarantino or Rodriguez. However, I think he

is one of the most unique & talented

directors around, & definitely feel the

film industry needs more like him. My only

problem w/ the man is that he doesn't make

enough films.

Mary

Jeffrey Davis

Apr 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/29/97