Is Carmen Burana in the Omen film?

Wayne Littlewood

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
Come on guys, you can help me out.

There is a lot riding on this.

You know the tune, if your British; "The Old Spice advert" well it's always
associated with the Omen films. I have a bet that it's not in the film.
People just think it is.
Does anybody have any proof of this?

Of course if I'm wrong then I'll humbly apologise.

It's just that it's nagging us and blood will be spilt if it's not resolved.
Okay so that's a tad drastic, but you know what I mean. :)
Can anybody help?
Wayne

Leonardo Dasso

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98

Wayne Littlewood wrote in message <6ogaj8$9qb$1...@apple.news.easynet.net>...

im afraid youve lost. the opera Carmina Burana appears in the Omen films
every time somebody is about to be wiped out.

best regards

leo

Mystic3148

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
>>the opera Carmina Burana>>

Carmina Burana is not an opera. It is a choral work called an oratorio. Some
of the music is also heard in the film "Excalibur". It is very difficult to
sing, as it uses an ancient Germanic dialect for the libretto. The score is
equally as difficult for orchestra. It was written by Karl Orff.

Gary Scheele

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
I second this... the score is all Jerry Goldsmith's. Much was made of the
Carmina Burana
similarities when the movie came out in 1976, but there's no actual Orff in
there.
But I recommend rec.music.movies as well.

--GS

bu...@home.com wrote in message <35ABF7A1...@home.com>...
>It's spelled "Carl" Orff, and while the music sounds very similar and
>may have been patterned after the Orff opus, I believe "The Omen" score
>was all Jerry Goldsmith's music. Send this question to rec.music.movies
>and you'll get a definitive answer.

bu...@home.com

Jaquandor

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98

>Carmina Burana is not an opera. It is a choral work called an oratorio.
>Some
>of the music is also heard in the film "Excalibur". It is very difficult to
>sing, as it uses an ancient Germanic dialect for the libretto. The score is
>equally as difficult for orchestra. It was written by Karl Orff.

Is it actually an oratorio? I believe that Orff actually identified it as a
setting of secular songs. I haven't seen it identified as an oratorio before.
(Here I am taking "oratorio" to mean a setting of sacred texts, as opposed to a
mere choral and symphonic work. Berlioz' "L'Enfance du Christ" is an oratorio;
his "Le Damnation de Faust" is not. Perhaps "cantata" would be a better term.)

Thus say I, and sayeth I no more.

-J

sk8m...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98

> >Carmina Burana is not an opera. It is a choral work called an oratorio.
> >Some of the music is also heard in the film "Excalibur". It is very
> >difficult to sing, as it uses an ancient Germanic dialect for the libretto.

Actually, the text varies from Middle High German to medieval French to
medieval Latin -- *most* of it, in fact, is Latin.

> Is it actually an oratorio? I believe that Orff actually identified it as a
> setting of secular songs.

Orff himself referred to it as a "secular cantata", and the text comes from a
collection of student drinking songs dating back as far as the 12th century,
which were found in a German monastery. They were *not* written by the monks,
but by the medieval equivalent of "rowdy college undergraduates" who were
pursuing higher education (and other things) under their tutelage. As to why
the monks kept such scurrilous writings -- they never threw *anything* out
that was written down.

Maven

Wayne Littlewood

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
>It's spelled "Carl" Orff, and while the music sounds very similar and
>may have been patterned after the Orff opus, I believe "The Omen" score
>was all Jerry Goldsmith's music. Send this question to rec.music.movies
>and you'll get a definitive answer.
This is basically what I am saying. "It just sounds like it" but thanks for
the help and I'll try rec.music.movies. :)
Wayne

>> Carmina Burana is not an opera. It is a choral work called an oratorio.
Some
>> of the music is also heard in the film "Excalibur". It is very difficult
>> sing, as it uses an ancient Germanic dialect for the libretto. The score
is
>> equally as difficult for orchestra. It was written by Karl Orff.

Mystic3148

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
> >Carmina Burana is not an opera. It is a choral work called an oratorio.
> >Some of the music is also heard in the film "Excalibur". It is very
> >difficult to sing, as it uses an ancient Germanic dialect for the libretto.

**Actually, the text varies from Middle High German to medieval French to
medieval Latin -- *most* of it, in fact, is Latin.**

> Is it actually an oratorio? I believe that Orff actually identified it as a
> setting of secular songs.

**Orff himself referred to it as a "secular cantata", and the text comes from a

collection of student drinking songs dating back as far as the 12th century,
which were found in a German monastery. They were *not* written by the monks,
but by the medieval equivalent of "rowdy college undergraduates" who were
pursuing higher education (and other things) under their tutelage. As to why
the monks kept such scurrilous writings -- they never threw *anything* out that

was written down.**

Maven**

Thank you for clearing up all the confusion. I appreciate the information you
have provided.

Mystic

Caius Marcius

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
In <6ogaj8$9qb$1...@apple.news.easynet.net> "Wayne Littlewood"

<w.litt...@easynet.co.uk> writes:

>Come on guys, you can help me out.
>
>There is a lot riding on this.

Alas, how soon they forget - Jerry Goldsmith, perhaps our greatest
living film composer, won his only Oscar for his score to THE OMEN in
1976. The music is somewhat influenced by Orff, but more strictly
spealing it's CARMINA BURNA, THE NEXT GENERATION - many of the
spectacular choral effects employed by Goldsmith - vocal glissandi,
whispering, guttual "barking", etc, - were quite an advance upon
anything that Orff would ever have dared to venture upon. IMO, the
music owes more to Stravinsky, especially the Requiem Canticles, than
to Carmina.

- CMC

mack twamley

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
For another version of Carmina Burana (at least the O Fortuna part that
everyone knows) try the cult scene in Young Sherlock Holmes (Bruce
Broughton). It's not Orff, but an amazingly close replica to it. (perhaps
Orff was the temp track?)