YOJIMBO (1961)

Bill Anderson

Dec 20, 2023, 3:19:15 PM12/20/23
Another week, another notable film for the 17-year-old. This week he told
me that he really enjoyed SEVEN SAMURAI and he wondered if we could watch
another samurai movie. Well I just happen to have a copy of YOJIMBO that I
had never watched and I had heard great things about it, so sure, why not?

We both enjoyed it, but maybe not quite so much as SEVEN SAMURAI. Toshiro
Mifuni plays a ronin, a wandering 19th century samurai with no master. He’s
basically a gun for hire only he carries no firearm — just a big sword and
a little sword which is the samurai way. (Think Clint Eastwood in A FISTFUL
OF DOLLARS which came along two years after this film and which bears such
a striking resemblance to it in premise and plot that one might think
Sergio Leone did a little plagiarizing.)

You know the story: a “lone stranger” comes to town and cleans up all the
corruption in high places so the decent people can live happily ever after.
There’s really not much more than that to it, but it held our interest and
we were glad we watched. There is a sequel, SANJURO, which is also supposed
to be good. I am thinking it probably will not be next on our list, though.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

moviePig

Dec 20, 2023, 4:02:17 PM12/20/23
You can test his mettle with another remade Kurosawa, RASHOMON...

Bill Anderson

Dec 20, 2023, 10:36:33 PM12/20/23
Maybe someday. I found RASHOMON fascinating, unforgettable. But at least
one other person whose opinion I respect absolutely hated it. “They all saw
the same thing but they all described it differently. That’s just stupid!“
And no amount of arguing from me changed her mind. I think the kid probably
isn’t ready for it yet. But yeah, it’s a great movie.

Spiros Bousbouras

Dec 21, 2023, 1:57:44 AM12/21/23
On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 03:36:25 +0000
Bill Anderson <bill.a...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> moviePig <pwal...@moviepig.com> wrote:
> > You can test his mettle with another remade Kurosawa, RASHOMON...
>
> Maybe someday. I found RASHOMON fascinating, unforgettable. But at least
> one other person whose opinion I respect absolutely hated it. “They all saw
> the same thing but they all described it differently. That’s just stupid!“
> And no amount of arguing from me changed her mind. I think the kid probably
> isn’t ready for it yet. But yeah, it’s a great movie.

STNG episode "A matter of perspective" uses the idea so the STNG creators
found it convincing enough.