Re: The Real Reason SNL Stopped Making Movies

Lewis

May 19, 2022, 11:33:05 PM5/19/22
In message <nd332dc2-162b-42b7...@googlegroups.com> tmc...@gmail.com <tmc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> https://youtu.be/tojbKBnU5X4

> Saturday Night Live has been a cultural staple for over 40 years. Building
> memorable characters that audiences would want to see week after week. The
> characters on SNL became so popular that Lorne Michaels finally started
> creating feature films around them. Movies like Wayne's World, The Blues
> Brothers, and Coneheads proved that SNL Characters could translate from small
> to big screen. But over the coming years the popularity started to fade, and
> eventually lead to the death of seeing our favorite Saturday Night Live
> characters on the big screen.

Very silly. There was a less than 10 year period (1993-2000), fueled by
the huge success of Wayne's World, were there were quite a few SNL
movies. That's it. Before Wayne's Worlds, the Blues Brothers was mostly
a /cult/ hit that just barely managed to break the top 10 for 1980,
beating out Ordinary People and Popeye, more than a decade before.

Coneheads was a flop, bringing in only about $20 million in 1993, within
a few dollars of Super Mario Brothers and Another Stakeout compared to
Jurassic Park;s $350M and Mrs Doubtfire's $225M for fist and second
place).

--
When men talk to their friends, they insult each other. They don't
really mean it. When women talk to their friends, they compliment

Alan Smithee

May 21, 2022, 4:12:55 AM5/21/22
On 05/20/2022 12:33 AM, Lewis wrote:
> In message <nd332dc2-162b-42b7...@googlegroups.com> tmc...@gmail.com
<tmc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> https://youtu.be/tojbKBnU5X4
>
>> Saturday Night Live has been a cultural staple for over 40 years. Building
>> memorable characters that audiences would want to see week after week. The
>> characters on SNL became so popular that Lorne Michaels finally started
>> creating feature films around them. Movies like Wayne's World, The Blues
>> Brothers, and Coneheads proved that SNL Characters could translate from small
>> to big screen. But over the coming years the popularity started to fade, and
>> eventually lead to the death of seeing our favorite Saturday Night Live
>> characters on the big screen.

> Very silly. There was a less than 10 year period (1993-2000), fueled by
> the huge success of Wayne's World, were there were quite a few SNL
> movies. That's it. Before Wayne's Worlds, the Blues Brothers was mostly
> a /cult/ hit that just barely managed to break the top 10 for 1980,
> beating out Ordinary People and Popeye, more than a decade before.
>
> Coneheads was a flop, bringing in only about $20 million in 1993, within
> a few dollars of Super Mario Brothers and Another Stakeout compared to
> Jurassic Park;s $350M and Mrs Doubtfire's $225M for fist and second
> place).

they stopped because many skits do not translate into good movies -
"it's pat" is a prime example.

Lewis

May 21, 2022, 11:38:14 PM5/21/22
How many years has SNL been on the air?

How many of those years was there an SNL movie?

They didn't "stop", they never started. As I said, there was a brief
period from 1993-2000 where they made several movies, some were very
successful, the rest were not.

There will probably be more SNL movies at some point (there was one
about 10 years ago), or maybe not. The movie industry is changing quite
a lot, and we have not even begun to see the fallout from 2020 yet.

But the entire premise of the original post is garbage.

--
Everything that was magical was just a way of describing the world in
words it couldn't ignore.

Alan Smithee

May 23, 2022, 9:15:13 AM5/23/22
On 05/20/2022 12:33 AM, Lewis wrote:
> In message <nd332dc2-162b-42b7...@googlegroups.com> tmc...@gmail.com <tmc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> https://youtu.be/tojbKBnU5X4
>
>> Saturday Night Live has been a cultural staple for over 40 years. Building
>> memorable characters that audiences would want to see week after week. The
>> characters on SNL became so popular that Lorne Michaels finally started
>> creating feature films around them. Movies like Wayne's World, The Blues
>> Brothers, and Coneheads proved that SNL Characters could translate from small
>> to big screen. But over the coming years the popularity started to fade, and
>> eventually lead to the death of seeing our favorite Saturday Night Live
>> characters on the big screen.

> Very silly. There was a less than 10 year period (1993-2000), fueled by
> the huge success of Wayne's World, were there were quite a few SNL
> movies. That's it. Before Wayne's Worlds, the Blues Brothers was mostly
> a /cult/ hit that just barely managed to break the top 10 for 1980,
> beating out Ordinary People and Popeye, more than a decade before.
>
> Coneheads was a flop, bringing in only about $20 million in 1993, within
> a few dollars of Super Mario Brothers and Another Stakeout compared to
> Jurassic Park;s $350M and Mrs Doubtfire's $225M for fist and second
> place).

Ubiquitous

May 23, 2022, 1:02:10 PM5/23/22
In article <t682im$ivb$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, al...@last.inc wrote:
> On 05/20/2022 12:33 AM, Lewis wrote:
>> tmc...@gmail.com <tmc...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> https://youtu.be/tojbKBnU5X4
>>
>>> Saturday Night Live has been a cultural staple for over 40 years. Building
>>> memorable characters that audiences would want to see week after week. The
>>> characters on SNL became so popular that Lorne Michaels finally started
>>> creating feature films around them. Movies like Wayne's World, The Blues
>>> Brothers, and Coneheads proved that SNL Characters could translate from
>>> small to big screen. But over the coming years the popularity started to
>>> fade, and eventually lead to the death of seeing our favorite Saturday
>>> Night Live characters on the big screen.
>
>> Very silly. There was a less than 10 year period (1993-2000), fueled by
>> the huge success of Wayne's World, were there were quite a few SNL
>> movies. That's it. Before Wayne's Worlds, the Blues Brothers was mostly
>> a /cult/ hit that just barely managed to break the top 10 for 1980,
>> beating out Ordinary People and Popeye, more than a decade before.
>>
>> Coneheads was a flop, bringing in only about $20 million in 1993, within
>> a few dollars of Super Mario Brothers and Another Stakeout compared to
>> Jurassic Park;s $350M and Mrs Doubtfire's $225M for fist and second
>> place).
>
>they stopped because many skits do not translate into good movies -
>"it's pat" is a prime example.

Many of which were a 20-second joke.

--
Let's go Brandon!