Re: 10 Great SNL Skits That Should Be Made Into Movies

Ubiquitous

Nov 3, 2023, 7:29:19 AM11/3/23
tmc...@gmail.com wrote:

>Following in the footsteps of SNL alumnus Wayne World and The Blue Brothers,
>these iconic SNL skits would also make hilarious feature-length films.

:These iconic Saturday Night Live skits are so hilarious that they're begging
:to be fleshed out and adapted to the silver screen. Their hilarious antics,
:memorable characters, and unique POVS helped them achieve mass market
:success, and garner the critical acclaim that helped rouse audiences on
:Saturday nights. Due to their popularity, the best SNL skits not only rake
:in views, but they've since become recurring segments, forever solidified
:among the SNL's elite.
:
:There is plenty of precedent for Saturday Night Live sketches to become
:movies. The trend started in 1980 with The Blues Brothers, but it was
:Wayne's World's release in 1992 that showed the true potential of this
:concept. There have been several movies based on Saturday Night Live skits
:since then, ranging from Superstar to A Night At The Roxbury or 2010's
:MacGruber. The Emmy Award-winning series has delivered a wide range of
:sketch comedy over the years, including many other memorable bits that
:deserve to become feature films now.
:
:10 The Love-ahs
:The inappropriately intimate displays of affection shown by Will Ferrell
:and Rachel Dratch helped make The Love-ahs a standout sketch in Season 27.
:In The Love-ahs, Ferrell and Dratch play Roger and Virginia Klarvin: a
:loving couple who lack all sense of boundaries and personal space. In the
:bit, as the two go at it in the background, their co-stars are forced to
:bear witness to their uncomfortably intimate displays of affection. The
:tension and awkwardness of the skit are what make The Love-ahs comedy gold,
:with co-stars like Jimmy Fallon often struggling to keep it together during
:the scene.
:
:https://youtu.be/gqeQLV04kwU
:
:It would be fun to see what outrageous antics Roger and Virginia Klarvin
:would bring to a movie. A Love-ahs film could see The Klarvins finally being
:held accountable for their lewd behavior after being caught on tape being
:inappropriate at a major event. The consequences for their lovemaking would
:include attending rehab, learning to regulate their love healthily, and
:being forced to withhold physical affection. Seeing The Klarvins struggle
:to grasp the concepts of this new lifestyle combined with the conflict that
:arises at the rehab would be hilarious.
:
:9 The Californians
:A Californian movie is certainly deserved. What started as a running gag
:behind the scenes between cast members according to Bill Hader, it turned
:into one of the most popular recurring skits of its season. The Californians
:is a satirical soap opera-style skit that hilariously pokes fun at California
:culture. The sketch ran routinely and eventually included other cast members
:beyond Bill Hader, Fred Armeson, and Kristen Wiig, including Josh Brolin,
:Mick Jagger, and Steve Martin.

:https://youtu.be/dCer2e0t8r8
:
:Given its satirical, melodramatic vibe, a film about The Californians would
:be legendary. In the movie, a down-to-earth resident could move in next door,
:providing a complete contrast to the lavish California culture. The neighbor
:would inevitably be introduced to Stuart, Karina, and Devin planting them
:smack dab in the middle of The Californian's whacky shenanigans. Seeing the
:clashing personalities and parodies of California culture would make for
:comedy gold, especially with the improv skills of Hader, Armeson, and Wiig.
:
:8 What Up With That
:This hilarious sketch stars comedy legend Kenan Thompson as the singing,
:dancing talk show host Diondre Cole. Diondre hosts What Up With That on BET,
:and interviews all-star guests like Paul Rudd and Samuel L Jackson. The
:problem is: that the interviews are constantly cut off by Diondre's sporadic
:song and dance numbers.
:
:https://youtu.be/sqpnRyfz_aY
:
:.The intrusive dance numbers, satirical lyrics, and unpredictable guest
:appearances make this sketch a comedic hit. Kenan Thompson's ability to take
:people's words and run with them made What Up With That a crowd favorite of
:the early 2000s. A film based on this sketch could be done in mockumentary
:style, showcasing an in-depth behind-the-scenes look at the talk show. The
:film could develop Diondre Cole and his band's characters further, as well
:as offer a hilarious parody of talk show culture.
:
:7 Jeffrey's
:This hilarious sketch from the early 2000s pokes fun at the fashion industry
:and combines the comedic star power of Will Ferrell and Jimmy Fallon. In the
:sketch, Ferrell stars as the gadget-loving manager of Jeffreys, a high-end
:fashion retail store. Jeffrey's luxury shopping experience was usually ruined
:by its elitist sales reps, who constantly judged and heckled their customers.
:The rude clerks were played by Fallon and a guest star, most notably comedy
:legend Sean Hayes.
:
:https://youtu.be/XDxtjVKJ76A
:
:With this setup, a Jeffrey's movie could be SNL meets Zoolander as the snobby
:employees at Jeffreys have to face off against a rival clothing store.
:Additionally, the universe can be expanded to include a new friendlier clerk
:in training whose presence and contrasting energy would present a problem
:among the staff. Seeing Ferrell deal with the pressure as the store's
:supervisor while also watching the hilarious parodies of the luxury retail
:experience could put it in contention for one of Will Ferrell's best movies.
:
:6 Target Lady
:A movie starring Target's most enthusiastic employee is a must. Target Lady
:stars the riotous Kristen Wiig as a retail employee who repels Target
:customers with her outspoken, invasive behavior. Wiig's high energy and
:unpredictability made this sketch a standout in season 32. The Target Lady's
:crazy antics and mockery of retail customer service helped it spread like
:wildfire throughout pop culture, proof that it's funny enough to be taken to
:Hollywood.
:
:https://youtu.be/-GyES-BNlUY
:
:A film based on this hilarious SNL sketch could find the Target Lady
:competing with a rival employee for the title of employee of the month. As
:Target Lady and her rival duke it out for the title of gold star customer
:service, it causes a divide on the backend. The movie would be a hilarious
:satire of retail and customer service-based jobs, as we watch Target Lady do
:everything in her power to be the best Target employee she can be.
:
:5 Spartan Cheerleaders
:A Spartan Cheerleader film would be a fabulous idea. Seeing SNL alum Will
:Ferrell and Cheri Oteri deliver gut-busting cheers in their red, black, and
:white uniforms is a formula that never gets old. In the early 2000s, Ferrell
:and Oteri starred as Craig and Arianna: two passionate cheerleaders from East
:Lake High School who were all heart and no talent. Their eccentric cheers and
:erratic movements left audiences in stitches, making it one of the most
:popular recurring sketches of its time.
:
:https://youtu.be/SErOdLSlpkE
:
:A Spartan Cheerleader film could see Craig and Arianna take their dreams all
:the way to nationals, as they fight for a chance to compete in a national
:championship. Seeing their over-the-top enthusiasm combined with their
:uncoordinated cheers would be a great contrast to the world of competitive
:cheerleading. With the improv skills and comedic timing of Ferrell and Oteri,
:this comedic underdog story of perseverance and teamwork could be quite the
:hit.
:
:4 Stefon
:Weekend Update's fabulous correspondent Stefon was a fan favorite on Saturday
:Night Live. As Stefon, SNL alumni Bill Hader played a commentator who
:provided tips and recommendations for NYC nightlife. The bizarre commentary
:and outrageous suggestions (written by John Mulaney) made this segment one of
:the funniest of its time. Stefon's anxious, nervous energy combined with
:Hader being caught off guard by the cue cards made for late-night comedy
:magic.
:
:https://youtu.be/lEM7h3fz2RE
:
:A party film of epic proportions, a Stefon movie would take place over the
:course of one night as we witness Stefon go through an existential crisis
:during one of his bizarre escapades in NYC. As he bounces around NYC's most
:obscure venues, Bill Hader can narrate his internal dialogue. Amplifying the
:inner thoughts of Stefon would be a hilarious angle that audiences wouldn't
:expect. The biggest hold-up could be Hader himself, as he does not want to
:make a Saturday Night Live Stefon movie.
:
:3 The Culps
:Since there isn't much footage left of this 2000s gem online (most likely
:because of copyright laws) it would be the perfect time to pitch a movie
:about The Culps. In this musical comedy bit, Saturday Night Live alum Will
:Ferrell and Ana Gasteyer star as Marty and Bobbie Culp, two music teachers
:famous for their quirky covers of top 40 hits. The offbeat renditions
:combined with the couple's unexpected song choices (like Eminem's "Stan" for
:example) make this sketch a standout for its time. It would be nice to see
:this formula translated into a movie.
:
:https://youtu.be/I8vsUDW0N0k
:
:A movie based on The Culps could follow the pair on their road to stardom as
:the Culps get their big break into the music industry. Their hilarious covers
:would top the charts, and we'd see how the newfound fortune and fame
:influence the lives of Marty and Bobbie Culp. If you add guest appearances
:from some of music's hottest stars, this tale of success and love could
:achieve mass market success.
:
:2 Black Jeopardy
:A Black Jeopardy film has the potential to be great. Truthfully, the formula
:would work just as it is. Black Jeopardy takes the style and setup for
:Jeopardy and adds a zest of African American culture, as the show's playful
:host (played by Kenan Thompson) offers the contestants questions and
:categories based on famous hot takes and inside jokes prevalent to African
:American culture. The sketch usually included one contestant who's not of
:African American descent, a setup that makes for hilarious answers and
:misunderstandings.
:
:https://youtu.be/O7VaXlMvAvk
:
:A Black Jeopardy film would be easy. It could parody Slum Dog Millionaire and
:take place during a high-stakes game. Seeing the feigned stress of the
:contestants combined with hilarious cuts to random life moments that help
:them answer their questions would be a uniquely hilarious setup.
:
:1 Debbie Downer
:A Debbie Downer movie would be a must-see. The sketch stars SNL alumni Rachel
:Dratch as one of the most overwhelmingly negative women you will ever meet.
:Debbie Downer has a bad habit of raining on people's parades, constantly
:interrupting wholesome moments with her depressing facts and devastating
:news. It doesn't matter if she's at a wedding reception or Disneyland, Debbie
:will find a way to drag the mood down. The setup for Debbie Downer was so
:hilarious that Dratch and her co-stars were constantly breaking into laughter
:thanks to the combination of Dratch's gloomy dialogue and the "wah-wah"
:trombone sound that preceded it.
:
:https://youtu.be/TfE93xON8jk
:
:A film about Debbie Downer could center around one of her various family
:affairs, like a wedding or a family reunion. The movie could fully develop
:her family members and expand the universe to include surrounding people and
:environments. Seeing Debbie constant awkward encounters with family members
:and strangers would have audiences cracking up nationwide, especially for
:those familiar with the Saturday Night Live skit the movie would be based on.

Honestly, I have only heard of two of these, and neither of them would be able
to fill 60 minutes of screen time.

--
Let's go Brandon!