Shah Rukh vs. Vivek at Filmfare Awards!

Mukerjee

Feb 17, 2003, 10:46:29 PM2/17/03
Yes, I know it's a sensationalist subject heading and it will annoy
some, but atleast it's an attention-grabber.

It's now official that both Shah Rukh (Devdas) and Vivek Oberoi
(Saathiya) have been nominated for the Filmfare best actor award, the
most prestigious popular award in Hindi films. This year will be
particularly interesting because it will pit Shah Rukh against the
phenomenon who has been billed as his successor, Vivek Oberoi. It
will be a clash of two great stars, followed closely by their legions
of fans in India and elsewhere.

The date of the Filmfare awards is February 21st.

Let the discussion, debate, and insults begin!

Feb 17, 2003, 10:53:39 PM2/17/03
Mukerjee wrote:
> Yes, I know it's a sensationalist subject heading and it will annoy
> some, but atleast it's an attention-grabber.
>
> It's now official that both Shah Rukh (Devdas) and Vivek Oberoi
> (Saathiya) have been nominated for the Filmfare best actor award, the
> most prestigious popular award in Hindi films. This year will be
> particularly interesting because it will pit Shah Rukh against the
> phenomenon who has been billed as his successor, Vivek Oberoi. It
> will be a clash of two great stars, followed closely by their legions
> of fans in India and elsewhere.

I just looked up the nominees. I believe Company would pick up quite a few
awards. Ajay Devgan is the guy who is probably going to get the award for
the best actor. vivek has been nominated for Saathiya, and I do not believe
that Saathiya was that great a role. Vivek Oberoi might still get the best
supporting actor for Company.

It is actually interesting to see Vivek Oberoi nominated for the best actor
and best supporting actor award at the same time. Wasn' it Shahrukh himself,
who was nominated for the best actor and best villain in the same year or
something like that?

- v

Nikhil R Devanur

Feb 18, 2003, 12:09:57 AM2/18/03

there is no doubt thta shahrukh is going to win.
if he was nominated for the best actress award, he would win that too.

Ritu

Feb 19, 2003, 5:41:19 PM2/19/03
Nikhil R Devanur <nik...@cc.gatech.edu> wrote in message news:<b2sf75$62v$2...@solaria.cc.gatech.edu>...

> V <vr...@nyc.rr.comremove> wrote:
> > Mukerjee wrote:
> >> Yes, I know it's a sensationalist subject heading and it will annoy
> >> some, but atleast it's an attention-grabber.
> >>
> >> It's now official that both Shah Rukh (Devdas) and Vivek Oberoi
> >> (Saathiya) have been nominated for the Filmfare best actor award, the
> >> most prestigious popular award in Hindi films. This year will be
> >> particularly interesting because it will pit Shah Rukh against the
> >> phenomenon who has been billed as his successor, Vivek Oberoi. It
> >> will be a clash of two great stars, followed closely by their legions
> >> of fans in India and elsewhere.

Thanks for a starting a thread atleast on the filmfare awards. I
wanted to do so myself but was too lazy.

The nominations annoucements had my blood boiling (which temporarily
cooled down on seeing a b/w shot of Dev Anand entering one of the old
award ceromanies, infact I think they should stick to showing old
awards. Atleast they are more credible!)

Anyway, getting back to the latest awards. The biggest ommission that
got my goat was the complete exclusion of 'The legend of Bhagat Singh'
in any awards. I mean you have non actors like Jackie Shroff and
Sanjay Dutt being nominated for the 'Best Supporting Actor' award but
nothing at all to the chap who played Sukhdev?

Again in the best films category you have films like Kaante and
Humraaz but no Bhagat Singh. There is not even a single mention of the
film anywhere. Or are they saving the film for the Critics Awards or
is there some sort of conspiracy to leave this film out totally?

As far as 'Best Actress' goes, it's now ceases to be bugging also.
It's just funny. Bipasha Basu getting a nomination for acting!!!!. If
I were anyone of the other actresses who have been nominated for the
awards I would certainly not be flattered!

My choice for the best film would be Bhagat Singh. Company comes a
close second. Devdas should be banned from the awards completely :)
(the only category it can compete is music. Nothing else is worth
mentioning)

The best supporting actor award would have good a competition b/w
Vivek Oberoi, Mohanlal and Santosh Kumar (?)(Sukhdev). I would remove
Vivek Oberoi and give him an award for best debut (which is well
deserved). He nuanced his role in 'Company' beautifully. There is
little doubt on his acting skills. He just needs roles to exploit
them.

Between Mohanlal and Santosh Kumar.. it's really a tough choice. I
might swing in favour of Sukhdev because the role gave him more scope
to show a wider range of skills. But I wouldn't grudge Mohanlal his
award either.

Best actor is definitely Ajay Devgun for Company. Again, it's really a
joke that Shahrukh Khan should even get a nomination for acting. He is
a star and he should not remain under the illusion that he can act.
Neither should any award commitee.

The best supporting actress award, interestingly has repeated history,
with it's nomination of Madhuri for her Chandramukhi role. Years
before they had awarded Vyjayanthimala the best supporting actress for
the same role and she had turned the award down saying her's was a
leading role.

And yes, they really need to stop nominating Amitabh Bachchan for
these sidey roles he does these days. They do have good films and good
people. Wonder why they ignore them and promote the likes of Bobby
Deol, Sanjay dutt, Mahesh Manjrekar (one of my friends commented,
these nominations seemed to have come straight from dubai and I think
he is right).

> there is no doubt thta shahrukh is going to win.
> if he was nominated for the best actress award, he would win that too.

Heh Heh..... he might have a better chance there. Some awards taking
the easy way out gave both Shahrukh and Ajay Devgun (I think) the
award for Best Actor!

What do the rest have to say about the nominations?

Cheers
Ritu

Feb 20, 2003, 12:01:06 AM2/20/03
Ritu wrote:
> Thanks for a starting a thread atleast on the filmfare awards. I
> wanted to do so myself but was too lazy.
>
> The nominations annoucements had my blood boiling (which temporarily
> cooled down on seeing a b/w shot of Dev Anand entering one of the old
> award ceromanies, infact I think they should stick to showing old
> awards. Atleast they are more credible!)
>
> Anyway, getting back to the latest awards. The biggest ommission that
> got my goat was the complete exclusion of 'The legend of Bhagat Singh'
> in any awards. I mean you have non actors like Jackie Shroff and
> Sanjay Dutt being nominated for the 'Best Supporting Actor' award but
> nothing at all to the chap who played Sukhdev?

<snip>

> As far as 'Best Actress' goes, it's now ceases to be bugging also.
> It's just funny. Bipasha Basu getting a nomination for acting!!!!. If
> I were anyone of the other actresses who have been nominated for the
> awards I would certainly not be flattered!

<snip>

The simple problem with filmfare awards are the fact that they are popular
awards. Which means, that it is the public which nominates who are selected
for the various categories ( or has it changed). which means, that if a
person wants, he can go ahead and nominate bipasha basu for the best actress
awards and if she gets amongst the highest votes, she is in. Public, which
nominates, usually just remembers the popular actors (besides the fact that
they would be rigged). I mean, do you remember the name of the guy, who
played Sukhdev?

>Again, it's really a
>joke that Shahrukh Khan should even get a nomination for acting. He is
>a star and he should not remain under the illusion that he can act.
>Neither should any award commitee.

Oh well! He is better than most of them out there.

- v

Diwant

Feb 20, 2003, 9:47:47 AM2/20/03
Do they have a category for best story/screenplay? Maybe they should...

Diwant

Ritu

Feb 20, 2003, 11:39:29 AM2/20/03
"V" <vr...@nyc.rr.comREMOVE> wrote in message news:<miZ4a.32409$ma2.9...@twister.nyc.rr.com>...

> Ritu wrote:
> > Thanks for a starting a thread atleast on the filmfare awards. I
> > wanted to do so myself but was too lazy.
> >
> > The nominations annoucements had my blood boiling (which temporarily
> > cooled down on seeing a b/w shot of Dev Anand entering one of the old
> > award ceromanies, infact I think they should stick to showing old
> > awards. Atleast they are more credible!)
> >
> > Anyway, getting back to the latest awards. The biggest ommission that
> > got my goat was the complete exclusion of 'The legend of Bhagat Singh'
> > in any awards. I mean you have non actors like Jackie Shroff and
> > Sanjay Dutt being nominated for the 'Best Supporting Actor' award but
> > nothing at all to the chap who played Sukhdev?
> >
> <snip>
>
> > As far as 'Best Actress' goes, it's now ceases to be bugging also.
> > It's just funny. Bipasha Basu getting a nomination for acting!!!!. If
> > I were anyone of the other actresses who have been nominated for the
> > awards I would certainly not be flattered!
> >

> <snip>
>
> The simple problem with filmfare awards are the fact that they are popular
> awards. Which means, that it is the public which nominates who are selected
> for the various categories ( or has it changed).

I think that has changed. I believe in the earlier days, readers of
the Filmfare magazine sent out forms attached behind a copy of the
magazine. However after people like Shankar Jaikishen started rigging
the awards by buying magazines in bulk and posting their own
nominations this practice was discontinued. I think there is a
nomination commitee now. And frankly speaking if the public could be
discerning enough to get 8(?) filmfare awards to Bimal Roy in the past
then I really think we underestimate their taste. I know these are
popular awards but popular cinema offers a lot of good stuff too.
These 2003 nominations are akin to ignoring Gulzar and giving Manmohan
Desai an award in the 70s.

>which means, that if a
> person wants, he can go ahead and nominate bipasha basu for the best actress
> awards and if she gets amongst the highest votes, she is in. Public, which
> nominates, usually just remembers the popular actors (besides the fact that
> they would be rigged). I mean, do you remember the name of the guy, who
> played Sukhdev?

I don't remember his name because his role was so powerful and well
performed that one thinks of him only as Sukhdev. He did not play
Sukhdev, he became Sukhdev himself. IMO that speaks volumes about his
acting skills. I don't think one should justify mediocricity. As far
as I know, now they have an awards commitee that sets up these
nominations. One would expect a higher degree of discernment from
them.

> >Again, it's really a
> >joke that Shahrukh Khan should even get a nomination for acting. He is
> >a star and he should not remain under the illusion that he can act.
> >Neither should any award commitee.
>

> Oh well! He is better than most of them out there.

Yes, he is certainly better than Salman Khan, Arjun Ramphal (and other
such forgettable models) etc.

I am talking about people like Ajay Devgun, Amir Khan and yes Vivek
Oberoi also. That's what one means by actors :)))!

Cheers
Ritu

> - v

Deepaks

Feb 20, 2003, 12:57:36 PM2/20/03

"Ritu" <rc0...@rediffmail.com>
wrotenews:8777cccd.0302...@posting.google.com...
<snip>

> > > Anyway, getting back to the latest awards. The biggest ommission that
> > > got my goat was the complete exclusion of 'The legend of Bhagat Singh'
> > > in any awards. I mean you have non actors like Jackie Shroff and
> > > Sanjay Dutt being nominated for the 'Best Supporting Actor' award but
> > > nothing at all to the chap who played Sukhdev?
> > ><snip>

Perhaps the live TV transmissions, sponsorships and the necessity to ensure
high audience ratings influence the kind of persons they want to be shown
receiving the awards?

Deepaks

rkusenet

Feb 20, 2003, 1:28:13 PM2/20/03

"Ritu" <rc0...@rediffmail.com> wrote

> I think that has changed. I believe in the earlier days, readers of
> the Filmfare magazine sent out forms attached behind a copy of the
> magazine. However after people like Shankar Jaikishen started rigging
> the awards by buying magazines in bulk and posting their own
> nominations this practice was discontinued.

True. Reader's vote continued till early 1980s. I clearly remember the
January/Feb issue of Filmfare at that time, which use to have those nomination
form.

Shankar Jaikishan were not the only one who were accused of 'buying'
their own vote. Amitabh was also accused in late 1970s and so were
Laxmikant-Pyarelal.

rk-

Feb 20, 2003, 8:49:44 PM2/20/03
Ritu wrote:
> "V" <vr...@nyc.rr.comREMOVE> wrote in message
>
> I think that has changed. I believe in the earlier days, readers of
> the Filmfare magazine sent out forms attached behind a copy of the
> magazine. However after people like Shankar Jaikishen started rigging
> the awards by buying magazines in bulk and posting their own
> nominations this practice was discontinued. I think there is a
> nomination commitee now. And frankly speaking if the public could be
> discerning enough to get 8(?) filmfare awards to Bimal Roy in the past
> then I really think we underestimate their taste. I know these are
> popular awards but popular cinema offers a lot of good stuff too.
> These 2003 nominations are akin to ignoring Gulzar and giving Manmohan
> Desai an award in the 70s.

I am not so sure actually about the process. I was in India till about May
2000. I think I did see the nomination forms in Filmfare untill very
recently. Even remember seeing something in 1996 or 1997. not so sure
though. Anyhow, what I meant to say was, that these popular awards and
really don't mean anything. But yes, the nomination of Bipasha Basu is
really shameful. I wouldn't even call her an actress, lest a best actress.

>> which means, that if a
>> person wants, he can go ahead and nominate bipasha basu for the best
>> actress
>> awards and if she gets amongst the highest votes, she is in.
>> Public, which
>> nominates, usually just remembers the popular actors (besides the
>> fact that
>> they would be rigged). I mean, do you remember the name of the guy,
>> who
>> played Sukhdev?
>
> I don't remember his name because his role was so powerful and well
> performed that one thinks of him only as Sukhdev. He did not play
> Sukhdev, he became Sukhdev himself. IMO that speaks volumes about his
> acting skills. I don't think one should justify mediocricity. As far
> as I know, now they have an awards commitee that sets up these
> nominations. One would expect a higher degree of discernment from
> them.

I agree, That was a very good role. When I saw Dum, I knew I had seen him
somewhere, and then I remembered i had seen him in Bhagat Singh. As BR said,
a good actor, who would end up being stereotyped as the hero's best friend.

>>> Again, it's really a
>>> joke that Shahrukh Khan should even get a nomination for acting. He
>>> is
>>> a star and he should not remain under the illusion that he can act.
>>> Neither should any award commitee.
>>

>> Oh well! He is better than most of them out there.
>
> Yes, he is certainly better than Salman Khan, Arjun Ramphal (and other
> such forgettable models) etc.
>
> I am talking about people like Ajay Devgun, Amir Khan and yes Vivek
> Oberoi also. That's what one means by actors :)))!

Ajay Devgan.. he has improved considerably, but I am not sure if he is
really good in soft romantic roles. He is good in those serious roles but
comedy/romance is not really his forte.

Vivek... I thought he looks good in those scenes where he needs to look
frustrated, but besides that, he is pretty ordinary. He looks quite gay
after he shaves, and romance is really not his cup of tea.

Aamir.. what does he look like? Wasn't it a long long time ago, that his
last movie was released? Is he even acting in anything these days?

Shahrukh rules. No doubt about it.

> Cheers
> Ritu

-v

Baradwaj Rangan

Feb 20, 2003, 10:43:39 PM2/20/03
> > > Anyway, getting back to the latest awards. The biggest ommission that
> > > got my goat was the complete exclusion of 'The legend of Bhagat Singh'
> > > in any awards.

The film bombed. And Filmfare is supposed to be the popular award.
So...

I mean you have non actors like Jackie Shroff and
> > > Sanjay Dutt being nominated for the 'Best Supporting Actor' award but
> > > nothing at all to the chap who played Sukhdev?

'Chap who played Sukhdev'? You mean Sushant Singh? :)

> > <snip>
> >
> > > As far as 'Best Actress' goes, it's now ceases to be bugging also.
> > > It's just funny. Bipasha Basu getting a nomination for acting!!!!.

She starred in the biggest hit of the year and that qualifies her for
a popular award. It's just like the Oscars. These awards are about
wattage and star power and all those good things that do not
necessarily make up great cinema.

I don't really care that the Filmfare awards nominate Bipasha Basu.
This is after all the same outfit who didn't recognize RDB till Sanam
Teri kasam in 1982. But what bugs me is the National Awards sometimes,
as this is supposed to be THE serious award and the prize goes to
vague people at times.

> I think that has changed. I believe in the earlier days, readers of
> the Filmfare magazine sent out forms attached behind a copy of the
> magazine.

Yes, that's over, but now a so-called panel does the same thing. Again
based on 'popularity'.

Baradwaj Rangan

Feb 21, 2003, 11:11:12 PM2/21/03
> there is no doubt thta shahrukh is going to win.
> if he was nominated for the best actress award, he would win that too.

> there is no doubt thta shahrukh is going to win.
> if he was nominated for the best actress award, he would win that too.

You were right :)

Watching the ceremony last night, I was tempted to give out some of my
own awards. Here goes:

Best Indication of Skeleton in Closet: Awarded to Amitabh Bachchan,
who looked dour and listless throughout the evening, even when SRK
read out couplets from Madhushala, but chose to make something
resembling a smile when Rekha walked up for her Lifetime Achievement
Award. Hmmmmm!

Best Unexpecedtly Touching Performance - Part I: Awarded to Hrithik
Roshan, whose brief tribute to Rekha -- she's cradled me as a child,
she's the epitome of love etc. -- had more genuine emotion than any of
his recent performances.

Best Unexpecedtly Touching Performance - Part II: Awarded to Rekha,
for carrying with her onstage sheafs of papers with names of everyone
-- except Amitji, so maybe this is another candidate for Best
Indication of Skeleton in Closet -- who has so far contributed to her
getting where she is, from stalwarts like Hrishida to people like
Bhanu Athaiya for getting her interested in her looks.

Best Banter: Awarded to Shah Rukh and Saif, both battling to emcee the
proceedings from then on, with dreadful PJs like 'ab tak audience ek
Khan se sunti rahi, ab dono Khan se...'

Best Head-Scratching Nomination: Awarded jointly to Company and
Saathiya; both were up for the Critics prizes (Film, Actor, Actress)
as well as the popular awards in the same categories. I thought the
Critics award goes to the likes of Chandni Bar, which they want to
recognize but can't at the popular level.

And finally:

The Sooraj Barjatya Award for Family Values: Awarded jointly to Sanjay
Leela Bhansali and Suresh Oberoi, the former for always taking his mum
on stage whenever he receives an award, the latter for never failing
to mist up whenever Vivek gets an award (I mean, the man was
struggling to collect himself during Vivek's dance number!!!)

Habshi

Feb 22, 2003, 5:54:08 AM2/22/03
Switched off the tv at this point . Cant stand these morons
who make their millons from Hindi films but refuse to speak a whole
sentence in it .

On 21 Feb 2003 20:11:12 -0800, b_ra...@hotmail.com (Baradwaj Rangan)