Review: Dev

Baradwaj Rangan

Jun 17, 2004, 12:35:46 AM6/17/04
Dev

Baradwaj Rangan

(C) The Economic Times, Madras Plus - June 17, 2004

Amitabh Bachchan, in 'Dev', explodes with rage and implodes with
grief, but the most telling moment of his terrific performance could
well be an afterthought. After putting cubes of ice into his scotch,
he methodically wipes the table under his glass -- and this is no
casual gesture, it's symptomatic of his character, Joint Commissioner
Dev Pratap Singh. Extrapolate this sequence to outside his home, and
you see why this impossibly idealistic man ends up taking on the
System -- whether it's the condensation threatening to ruin his
furniture or the communal elements threatening to ruin his country,
his approach is similar: mop it up.

On the other hand, Farhan (a surprisingly effective Fardeen Khan;
tanned, chunkier, and, for the first time, not looking like a
pampered, privileged star-brat) is like us -- disillusioned with the
System. He feels the Hindu-Muslim 'bhai-bhai' ideal is simply
romanticism, despite having been raised by an old-world patriarch
whose home contains a picture of Gandhiji and a copy of Godaan.

If Dev sees men only as being guilty or innocent, Farhan knows the
reality, that people -- in our country, in our times -- are really
seen as being Hindu or Muslim, and in pitting these characters against
each other, 'Dev' examines how possible it is to hold on to what one
believes in. In other words, will Dev continue to cling to his
black-and-white conceptions of truth and justice, and will Farhan
realise that not all Indians will point a finger at him just because
he's Muslim?

'Dev' answers these questions by dressing up 'Hey Ram' in khaki and
placing it in the present, with echoes of Gujarat. The loss of a loved
one makes Farhan decide to kill Dev, whom he holds responsible. Then,
as an incident of communal violence sets off Hindus against Muslims,
both Dev and Farhan see for themselves what the truth is and what
isn't.

The most tiresome aspect of 'Dev' is that it's yet another cop story,
with yet another corrupt Chief Minister (a relaxed, underplaying
Amrish Puri), and yet another minority community leader (a fulminating
Ehsaan Khan) who'll do anything for power. Inevitably, the moments
that work aren't political, but personal -- like the Farhan-Aaliya
(Kareena Kapoor) romance, set amidst a charmingly authentic
middle-class milieu of lungis, glass bangles and matchbox-sized flats.
Kareena usually has this show-offy quality to her acting --
look-at-me-I'm-Chameli, how-cool-am-I-as-Poo -- but she's quite
wonderful here, especially when she discovers that Farhan may not be a
pacifist like his father and senses him slipping away from her.

The Dev-Farhan relationship is also beautifully developed, over a
series of seemingly random scenes. They first run into each other
during a 'morcha', then during a police interrogation, then during the
aftermath of a bomb blast, then during a post-riot scenario. A lesser
film would have milked these just-waiting-to-explode sequences for
their inherent melodrama -- Dev and Farhan are, after all, the leads,
who don't exactly see eye to eye -- but none of their run-ins seems
contrived, despite the rather contrived relationship the two finally
settle into.

These human interactions, written by Meenakshi Sharma, remain powerful
moments of grace in a film that's essentially about gore. Where she
fails, though, is in charting out the friendship between Dev and Tej
(Om Puri, who's so good these days, he hardly seems to be acting at
all). The two have been friends for decades, but their ideologies
differ, and Sharma uses their habit of unwinding with booze and banter
to lay out the movie's Big Themes.

These scotch-and-sermon sessions quickly become unendurable. Govind
Nihalani has always loved words and ideas -- even something as clunky
as Deham had portions that made you stop and think -- but the eloquent
speechifying in 'Dev' just stops it dead in its tracks. On and on Dev
and Tej go, about 'mazhabi bhaichaara' and pseudo-secularism and
'samvidhaan', with dialogues that are hardly colloquial -- people say
'jeevit' instead of 'zinda', 'vijay/parajay' instead of 'jeet/haar',
'ekaant' instead of 'shanti'. This high-mindedness makes 'Dev 'seem
like a thought-heavy, photographed stage play whenever Dev and Tej are
together, instead of the fluid piece of cinema it is at most other
times.

Towards the end, as Tej's character takes an unconvincing turn for the
worse, 'Dev' resorts to audience-friendly 'dost-dost-na-raha'
conflicts and pat solutions, clearly taking sides against people it
was refreshingly ambiguous about earlier. (It doesn't help, either,
that the generically synth-heavy background score lends an air of
TV-level drama to the proceedings.) Nihalani hasn't forgotten his art
-- not many others can convince you that Kareena's singing in her
quivery bathroom voice is a romantic moment, and then shatter this
reverie with gunfire -- but it's his hankering for commerce that
ultimately stifles 'Dev'.

st

Jun 18, 2004, 4:03:49 PM6/18/04
Many a times I do not look forward to watching Amitabh movies just because
most of them have excessive sermons and preaching.

"Baradwaj Rangan" <b_ra...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Dev
>
> Baradwaj Rangan
>
> (C) The Economic Times, Madras Plus - June 17, 2004

rkusenet

Jun 25, 2004, 9:40:57 AM6/25/04
b_ra...@hotmail.com (Baradwaj Rangan) wrote in message

> These scotch-and-sermon sessions quickly become unendurable. Govind
> Nihalani has always loved words and ideas -- even something as clunky
> as Deham had portions that made you stop and think -- but the eloquent
> speechifying in 'Dev' just stops it dead in its tracks. On and on Dev
> and Tej go, about 'mazhabi bhaichaara' and pseudo-secularism and
> 'samvidhaan', with dialogues that are hardly colloquial -- people say
> 'jeevit' instead of 'zinda', 'vijay/parajay' instead of 'jeet/haar',
> 'ekaant' instead of 'shanti'.

That is because Govind Nihalani has always championed the use of
'shudd' (pure) hindi in his movies. I have seen almost all of his
movies and usage of pure hindi is his trademark. Long time back
I posted a review of his film Aaghat where I mentioned his
obsession with pure hindi: http://tinyurl.com/2kfb7

I liked the dialogues between AB and OP. It made good viewing.

Baradwaj Rangan

Jun 26, 2004, 12:53:35 AM6/26/04
rkus...@sympatico.ca (rkusenet) wrote in message news:<a9407c44.0406...@posting.google.com>...

> b_ra...@hotmail.com (Baradwaj Rangan) wrote in message
>
> > These scotch-and-sermon sessions quickly become unendurable. Govind
> > Nihalani has always loved words and ideas -- even something as clunky
> > as Deham had portions that made you stop and think -- but the eloquent
> > speechifying in 'Dev' just stops it dead in its tracks. On and on Dev
> > and Tej go, about 'mazhabi bhaichaara' and pseudo-secularism and
> > 'samvidhaan', with dialogues that are hardly colloquial -- people say
> > 'jeevit' instead of 'zinda', 'vijay/parajay' instead of 'jeet/haar',
> > 'ekaant' instead of 'shanti'.
>
> That is because Govind Nihalani has always championed the use of
> 'shudd' (pure) hindi in his movies.

I don't know... in something like Drishti, where everyone's into
navel-gazing and intellectual agonizing, where everyone's upper
middle-class and arty, such dialogues seem one with the movie. Here,
they didn't just fit in with the rest of the movie's milieu was what I
felt.

> I liked the dialogues between AB and OP. It made good viewing.

The first time, it was great. But when it happened again and again, it
just cut the momentum of the movie, especially when the points seemed
go-arounds of previous arguments. Half-film, half-play was what it
felt like in the end.

Jun 26, 2004, 10:05:37 AM6/26/04

> rkus...@sympatico.ca (rkusenet) wrote in message
> > b_ra...@hotmail.com (Baradwaj Rangan) wrote in message
> >
> > > These scotch-and-sermon sessions quickly become unendurable. Govind
> > > Nihalani has always loved words and ideas -- even something as clunky
> > > as Deham had portions that made you stop and think -- but the eloquent
> > > speechifying in 'Dev' just stops it dead in its tracks. On and on Dev
> > > and Tej go, about 'mazhabi bhaichaara' and pseudo-secularism and
> > > 'samvidhaan', with dialogues that are hardly colloquial -- people say
> > > 'jeevit' instead of 'zinda', 'vijay/parajay' instead of 'jeet/haar',
> > > 'ekaant' instead of 'shanti'.
> >
> > That is because Govind Nihalani has always championed the use of
> > 'shudd' (pure) hindi in his movies.
>
> I don't know... in something like Drishti, where everyone's into
> navel-gazing and intellectual agonizing, where everyone's upper
> middle-class and arty, such dialogues seem one with the movie. Here,
> they didn't just fit in with the rest of the movie's milieu was what I
> felt.

Two things. one. Coversations between AB and OP were suposed to be between
two individuals.
Two: Every director has a distinct style. A Yash Chopra heroine would wear
chiffon sari even in Switzerland. That is how he stamps his movie.

> > I liked the dialogues between AB and OP. It made good viewing.
>
> The first time, it was great. But when it happened again and again, it
> just cut the momentum of the movie, especially when the points seemed
> go-arounds of previous arguments. Half-film, half-play was what it
> felt like in the end.

Agreed. After a while, it just tended to slow down the movie.

rkusenet

Jun 26, 2004, 10:27:27 AM6/26/04
b_ra...@hotmail.com (Baradwaj Rangan) wrote in message

> I don't know... in something like Drishti, where everyone's into

> navel-gazing and intellectual agonizing, where everyone's upper
> middle-class and arty, such dialogues seem one with the movie. Here,
> they didn't just fit in with the rest of the movie's milieu was what I
> felt.

how many movies have you seen. I have seen almost all of his movies.

Long time back ( definitely before ArdhaSatya), I read his interview
in a hindi magazine where he mentioned that he became a fan of pure
hindi after reading literature of Mohan Rakesh and some other names
I have forgotten. I remember Mohan Rakesh bcos of his play "ashad ka
ek din".

Just look at the title of his movies. All pure hindi words.

I became a fan right after his first movie. Since you are in India,
you might want to try it here:
http://shopping.rediff.com/srchnew/productdisplay.jsp?prrfnbr=925497&menbr=429

The usage of pure hindi seems to be his obsession. I mean how many
use "shitizh" (horizon) in daily life, or "paraspar virodh" (mutual
disagreement). Watching his movies with English subtitles is a good way
to brush up pure hindi. In Dev I could brush up pure urdu too, since
all muslim characters in that movie speak Urdu only. I loved both of
it.

BTW is your email id valid. I want to ask a question about "maqbool".
I just did not understand the ending. I have already mailed you but
I am not sure whethter you even check it, or just use it as spam
sink.

If possible get in touch with me in the email I use.

thanks.

Jun 26, 2004, 12:12:03 PM6/26/04

"V" <vr...@verizon.netREMOVE> wrote in message

oops!!! meant intellectual individuals here.

Shishir Yerramilli

Jun 26, 2004, 5:14:14 PM6/26/04
rkus...@sympatico.ca (rkusenet) wrote in message news:<a9407c44.04062...@posting.google.com>...

> b_ra...@hotmail.com (Baradwaj Rangan) wrote in message
>
> > I don't know... in something like Drishti, where everyone's into
> > navel-gazing and intellectual agonizing, where everyone's upper
> > middle-class and arty, such dialogues seem one with the movie. Here,
> > they didn't just fit in with the rest of the movie's milieu was what I
> > felt.

My god,I actually saw Drishti!What a painful movie!Arty to the
core!You know those American /European movies that are set in
Manhattan,Paris,London where upper middle class/rich people who all
seem terribly bored,sit around in dinner party after dinner party and
talk about relationships and differences between men and women.Hey you
know what,I actually remember a line from Drishti

some dude holding a wine glass speculates .."Aurat aur mard sirf dost
kabhi nahin sakte,un dono ke beech ek kism chemistry,excitement hoti
hai"

You will find plenty of such tipsy metaphysics in this movie.BTW,I am
sure they not use Shuddh Hindi in this film,if this film wasnt an art
movie,I would say that it popularised Hinglish!

To say that this movie moves at a snail's pace would be insulting the
snails speed.Compared to this movie a snail moves like a Ferrari!

I saw this when I was quite young ,12 or 13,I thought then if this is
what being an adult was like,I never want to grow up!

Baradwaj Rangan

Jun 27, 2004, 2:18:06 AM6/27/04
rkus...@sympatico.ca (rkusenet) wrote in message news:<a9407c44.04062...@posting.google.com>...

> how many movies have you seen. I have seen almost all of his movies.

Considering almost all his films were shown quite a bit on TV during
the 80s, I've seen all of them too. (Including Party, with that
(in)famous Rohini hattangady scene).

BTW, quick quiz: which were the three films/actresses that caused a
sensation around the same time for baring their breasts?

My point isn't that a director isn't allowed to have his
quirks/obsessions. But the lingo used by people in a movie should
reflect what they are, where they're from, their milieu -- if
Nihalani makes a Chakra-like film tomorrow and has the Smita Patil
character having a 'snaan', then that's grating.

To me -- in other words, IMO -- the AB/Om characters, didn't seem the
kind who'd use this kind of language, that's all!

rkusenet

Jun 27, 2004, 9:00:39 AM6/27/04

"Baradwaj Rangan" <b_ra...@hotmail.com> wrote

> Considering almost all his films were shown quite a bit on TV during
> the 80s, I've seen all of them too. (Including Party, with that
> (in)famous Rohini hattangady scene).
>
> BTW, quick quiz: which were the three films/actresses that caused a
> sensation around the same time for baring their breasts?

easy one. Year 1985

Dimple - Saagar
Mandakahi - RTGM
Rohani Hattagandi - Party.

Am I right :-)

> My point isn't that a director isn't allowed to have his
> quirks/obsessions. But the lingo used by people in a movie should
> reflect what they are, where they're from, their milieu -- if
> Nihalani makes a Chakra-like film tomorrow and has the Smita Patil
> character having a 'snaan', then that's grating.
>
> To me -- in other words, IMO -- the AB/Om characters, didn't seem the
> kind who'd use this kind of language, that's all!

actually that was there in other films too. Aaghat was about trade
union, where people definitely do not speak 'tatasth' hindi. In my whole
life I heard the pure hindi word for procrastination (kinkartvayavimmood)
only twice. Once in the school book where I learnt that word and the other in
a GN movie. Just shows what kind of hindi he espouses. Pure hindi seems to be
his fetish.

rk-

Shishir Yerramilli

Jun 27, 2004, 12:23:47 PM6/27/04
b_ra...@hotmail.com (Baradwaj Rangan) wrote in message news:<c04b79a9.04062...@posting.google.com>...

> rkus...@sympatico.ca (rkusenet) wrote in message news:<a9407c44.04062...@posting.google.com>...
> >
> > how many movies have you seen. I have seen almost all of his movies.
>
> Considering almost all his films were shown quite a bit on TV during
> the 80s, I've seen all of them too. (Including Party, with that
> (in)famous Rohini hattangady scene).
>
> BTW, quick quiz: which were the three films/actresses that caused a
> sensation around the same time for baring their breasts?

Ah!The kind of film knowledge I could use!Lets see there was Mita
Vasisth in Kasbah and Idiot and Smita Patil(I think) and well cant
guess the third one!

Baradwaj Rangan

Jun 27, 2004, 11:51:43 PM6/27/04
"rkusenet" <rkus...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:<2k7ujaF...@uni-berlin.de>...

> > BTW, quick quiz: which were the three films/actresses that caused a
> > sensation around the same time for baring their breasts?
>
> easy one. Year 1985
>
> Dimple - Saagar
> Mandakahi - RTGM
> Rohani Hattagandi - Party.
>
> Am I right :-)

Actually, I was thinking of - Sarika in Nirvaan, Neena Gupta in Utsav
and RH in Party. all around 1985 - there was a cover story in some mag
(Showtime?) about how "bold" cinema was becoming.

Aditya Basrur

Jun 28, 2004, 2:22:39 AM6/28/04

Also found bare breasts in "Siddhartha" (Simi Garewal) and of course, Kama
Sutra.

Aditya [ Mandakini didn't count. ] Basrur

Jun 28, 2004, 10:33:36 AM6/28/04

"Baradwaj Rangan" <b_ra...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Neena Gupta in Utsav? I hope I didn't see the edited version, but as far as
I remember, there was a scene where this thief comes to her place, and she
does actually open the choli, but all you ever see is her bare back. The
scene is pretty dark. Is there something I missed out?

BTW, the writing credits on http://imdb.com/title/tt0088335/fullcredits have
a Basrur. Someone you know Aditya?

Aditya Basrur

Jun 28, 2004, 7:46:46 PM6/28/04
V wrote:
<snip>

> BTW, the writing credits on
> http://imdb.com/title/tt0088335/fullcredits have a Basrur. Someone
> you know Aditya?

Yes, actually (although we're not related)! Krishna (aka "Kitty") Basrur is a
close friend of Girish Karnad's and Shyam Benegal's - who are also from our
community and I think vaguely related to Kitty. I came to know him because he
stayed in my mother's mama's house in Santa Cruz (Bombay) for about 2 or 3
years in the early 1990s - they were good friends. He is an interesting man -
basically came in and out of the place as he wished. He seemed to own
precisely two garments of trouser wear - a pair of denim shorts and a pair of
jeans (which he'd wear for formal occasions). He'd wear the shorts when going
into the bathroom for his shower and when coming out. Wore a greying beard
and was rather short. Always wore rubber slippers everywhere, sometimes to
his detriment - he had a fairly serious fall one day when getting off the
train at Churchgate, I think. He was married to a Frenchwoman for a time,
they divorced several years ago. AFAIK, he's now living in Paris and helping
Indian productions over there as well as doing some tour guide type work.

It's a small world.

Aditya

Baradwaj Rangan

Jun 28, 2004, 10:06:22 PM6/28/04
"V" <vr...@verizon.netREMOVE> wrote in message news:<4%VDc.10560$x9.1...@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>...

> Neena Gupta in Utsav? I hope I didn't see the edited version, but as far as
> I remember, there was a scene where this thief comes to her place, and she
> does actually open the choli, but all you ever see is her bare back. The
> scene is pretty dark. Is there something I missed out?

No you didn't miss anything ... this was about actresses who dared to
bare (on camera), but the "baring" didn't probably make it to screen.

Arjun Pandit

Jun 29, 2004, 5:00:30 AM6/29/04

Shishir Yerramilli wrote:
> and well cant
> guess the third one!

Pathetic. And here I was expecting you to be a walking talking
dictionary on such topics.

JR

Jun 29, 2004, 10:50:22 AM6/29/04
b_ra...@hotmail.com (Baradwaj Rangan) wrote in message news:<c04b79a9.04062...@posting.google.com>...

IIRC, Utsav had an English version as well, for 'foreign' audiences.
That version had frontal nudity. I never saw that but maybe the scene
is shot differently for that version.

JR

yeskay

Jun 29, 2004, 11:01:36 AM6/29/04

Even Tarzan was released in 1985 according to IMDb. Kimi Katkar did a
Mandakini in that too.

Arjun Pandit

Jun 29, 2004, 12:04:34 PM6/29/04

"yeskay" <yes...@nowhere.com> wrote

> Even Tarzan was released in 1985 according to IMDb. Kimi Katkar did a
> Mandakini in that too.

But she didnt "bare". I read a story somewhere where Kimi cribbed that B Subash cheated her to get
that scene done. If we include Kimi, we have to include Shilpa Shirodkar from Kishen Kanhaiya too.
And if Neena from Utsav gets included, Padmini Kolhapure from Gehrayee too deserves to. BTW
Gehrayee has a review on RAMLI (http://tinyurl.com/2s9go). Please feel free to add to the list:

SSS (Zeenat), Possibly again in Manoranjan
Chakra (Smita)
Kasbha (Mita Vashisht)
Idiot (Mita Vashisht)
Saagar (Dimple)
Gehrayee (Padmini)
RTGM (Mandakini)
Maya Memsahab - Deepa Sahi
Tarzan (Kimi)
Kishen Kanhaiya (Shilpa). Possibly repeated in Brashtachar
Khalnayika, There is one more movie of Anu Agarwal
Monsoon (Some canadian model)
Party (RH)
Pratigyabadh (Sujata Mehta doing a Mandakini)
Sidhartha (sp?) (Simi)
KS
Mitti aur Sona (Sonam), Not confirmed but heard so.
Ajooba (Sonam), You need to have an eagle eye to see this
Dil Se (Manisha Koirala) Rumored to have had a slip in one of the songs. Not confirmed. Rumored to
have had a slip in Indian/Hindustani too.

I am not including those Bijli Daku type movies which also I have seen.

yeskay

Jun 29, 2004, 12:24:51 PM6/29/04
Arjun Pandit wrote:
> "yeskay" <yes...@nowhere.com> wrote
>

>>Even Tarzan was released in 1985 according to IMDb. Kimi Katkar did a
>>Mandakini in that too.
>

> But she didnt "bare". I read a story somewhere where Kimi cribbed that B Subash cheated her to get
> that scene done. If we include Kimi, we have to include Shilpa Shirodkar from Kishen Kanhaiya too.
> And if Neena from Utsav gets included, Padmini Kolhapure from Gehrayee too deserves to. BTW
> Gehrayee has a review on RAMLI (http://tinyurl.com/2s9go). Please feel free to add to the list:

She did a 'Mandakini-in-a-waterfall' in Tarzan, just like SS in Kishen
Kanhaiya.

> SSS (Zeenat), Possibly again in Manoranjan
> Chakra (Smita)
> Kasbha (Mita Vashisht)
> Idiot (Mita Vashisht)
> Saagar (Dimple)
> Gehrayee (Padmini)
> RTGM (Mandakini)
> Maya Memsahab - Deepa Sahi
> Tarzan (Kimi)
> Kishen Kanhaiya (Shilpa). Possibly repeated in Brashtachar
> Khalnayika, There is one more movie of Anu Agarwal
> Monsoon (Some canadian model)
> Party (RH)
> Pratigyabadh (Sujata Mehta doing a Mandakini)
> Sidhartha (sp?) (Simi)
> KS
> Mitti aur Sona (Sonam), Not confirmed but heard so.
> Ajooba (Sonam), You need to have an eagle eye to see this
> Dil Se (Manisha Koirala) Rumored to have had a slip in one of the songs. Not confirmed. Rumored to
> have had a slip in Indian/Hindustani too.
>
> I am not including those Bijli Daku type movies which also I have seen.

Rekha in Khiladiyon Ke Khiladi.

[ramli back to mens' locker room talk]

Jun 29, 2004, 2:57:45 PM6/29/04

"yeskay" <yes...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

Bhardwaj asks a simple question, and we get a useful list of must see
movies.

Gafoor

Jun 29, 2004, 3:50:37 PM6/29/04

After Tarzan was released, Kitu Gidwani (I think it was her) gave an
interview
saying that she was originally offered the role, but she declined because
she
would never be able to walk in the streets, knowing that many people had
seen her breasts. Kimi Katkar retorted "What breasts ?"
(Kitu Gidwani was flatchested).

Aditya Basrur

Jun 29, 2004, 5:51:16 PM6/29/04
Arjun Pandit wrote:

> I am not including those Bijli Daku type movies which also I have
> seen.

What are these movies?

Aditya

Shishir Yerramilli

Jun 29, 2004, 10:03:13 PM6/29/04
"Arjun Pandit" <arjunpa...@indya.com> wrote in message news:<2kdi9mF...@uni-berlin.de>...

> "yeskay" <yes...@nowhere.com> wrote
>
> > Even Tarzan was released in 1985 according to IMDb. Kimi Katkar did a
> > Mandakini in that too.
>

> But she didnt "bare". I read a story somewhere where Kimi cribbed that B Subash cheated her to get
> that scene done. If we include Kimi, we have to include Shilpa Shirodkar from Kishen Kanhaiya too.
> And if Neena from Utsav gets included, Padmini Kolhapure from Gehrayee too deserves to. BTW
> Gehrayee has a review on RAMLI (http://tinyurl.com/2s9go). Please feel free to add to the list:
>
> SSS (Zeenat), Possibly again in Manoranjan
> Chakra (Smita)
> Kasbha (Mita Vashisht)
> Idiot (Mita Vashisht)
> Saagar (Dimple)

Now this is where you really need sharper instincts more than Sonam's
scene in Ajooba!

> Gehrayee (Padmini)
> RTGM (Mandakini)
> Maya Memsahab - Deepa Sahi
> Tarzan (Kimi)
> Kishen Kanhaiya (Shilpa). Possibly repeated in Brashtachar

Wasnt there a rumor of Shilpa being in a porno?For a while she was
referred to as Shilpakochhodhkar.

> Khalnayika, There is one more movie of Anu Agarwal

The Cloud Door,I think it was a German production.

> Monsoon (Some canadian model)
Helen Brodie.

> Party (RH)
> Pratigyabadh (Sujata Mehta doing a Mandakini)
> Sidhartha (sp?) (Simi)
> KS
> Mitti aur Sona (Sonam), Not confirmed but heard so.
> Ajooba (Sonam), You need to have an eagle eye to see this

Oh I sure did!It was full frontal,but the face wasnt all that clear.I
feel it was a Russian body double(the movie was a Russian
coproduction).

> Dil Se (Manisha Koirala) Rumored to have had a slip in one of the songs. Not confirmed. Rumored to
> have had a slip in Indian/Hindustani too.

Fire(Nandita Das)
Although she said it was a body double.

Aditya Basrur

Jun 29, 2004, 10:09:16 PM6/29/04
"Shishir Yerramilli" <yshi...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
<snips>

> > Saagar (Dimple)
>
> Now this is where you really need sharper instincts
> more than Sonam's scene in Ajooba!

I didn't find it that tough. Figure hugging swimsuits are so uncommon in
Hindi films that the scene had my attention anyway ...

<snip>

Aditya

Nikhil Devanur

Jun 30, 2004, 12:42:55 AM6/30/04
Arjun Pandit <arjunpa...@indya.com> wrote:

> "yeskay" <yes...@nowhere.com> wrote

>> Even Tarzan was released in 1985 according to IMDb. Kimi Katkar did a
>> Mandakini in that too.

> Gehrayee has a review on RAMLI (http://tinyurl.com/2s9go). Please feel free to add to the list:

> SSS (Zeenat), Possibly again in Manoranjan
> Chakra (Smita)
> Kasbha (Mita Vashisht)
> Idiot (Mita Vashisht)
> Saagar (Dimple)
> Gehrayee (Padmini)
> RTGM (Mandakini)
> Maya Memsahab - Deepa Sahi
> Tarzan (Kimi)
> Kishen Kanhaiya (Shilpa). Possibly repeated in Brashtachar
> Khalnayika, There is one more movie of Anu Agarwal

are you talking of "the cloud door"?

Shishir Yerramilli

Jun 30, 2004, 4:42:01 AM6/30/04
"Arjun Pandit" <arjunpa...@indya.com> wrote in message news:<cbrb3e$d...@odak26.prod.google.com>...

Well,I couldnt guess for the specifics he mentioned(time period
,full frontal).But youre right,my knowledge of gratuitous nudity in
Indian films could use some brushing up!

Arjun Pandit

Jun 30, 2004, 10:55:31 AM6/30/04

Basically some low budget movies made for shady centers which have
shady action, shady romance, shady stars and a shady daku based theme.
search on imdb for daku, bijli etc and a bunch of results might crop up.

Arjun Pandit

Jun 30, 2004, 11:24:32 AM6/30/04
yshi...@hotmail.com (Shishir Yerramilli) wrote in message news:<370a0b0.04063...@posting.google.com>...

Few more:

Pallavi Joshi - Trishagni
Padmini - Mera Naam Joker
Deepti Bhatnagar - Operation Cobra (b/c grade English movie with a
Hindi movie type rain song). Rent it from your local blockbuster!
The ones mentioned by Rangan

Dubious ones

Ayesha Julka - Dalaal

BTW did you read about Mallika Sherawat getting an offer from Playby
and her wanting to reveal every inch of her body for them. Not bad
huh?

Shishir Yerramilli

Jul 1, 2004, 1:54:02 PM7/1/04
arjunpa...@indya.com (Arjun Pandit) wrote in message news:<246f4bf5.0406...@posting.google.com>...

> yshi...@hotmail.com (Shishir Yerramilli) wrote in message news:<370a0b0.04063...@posting.google.com>...
> > >
> > > Pathetic. And here I was expecting you to be a walking talking
> > > dictionary on such topics.
> >
> > Well,I couldnt guess for the specifics he mentioned(time period
> > ,full frontal).But youre right,my knowledge of gratuitous nudity in
> > Indian films could use some brushing up!
>
> Few more:
>
> Pallavi Joshi - Trishagni

Being a Marathophile,I especially had the hots for Pallavi
Joshi(however she did not age well,alas).How much did she show in
Trishagni?

> Padmini - Mera Naam Joker
> Deepti Bhatnagar - Operation Cobra (b/c grade English movie with a
> Hindi movie type rain song). Rent it from your local blockbuster!

Looks totally cheesdick.But I guess Ill have to see it one of these
days for Bhatnagar.

> The ones mentioned by Rangan
>
> Dubious ones
>
> Ayesha Julka - Dalaal

This was a body double.I think this movie was instrumental in ending
Jhulkas career.

> BTW did you read about Mallika Sherawat getting an offer from Playby
> and her wanting to reveal every inch of her body for them. Not bad
> huh?

I have heard about this.I think she has accepted it.I am not
sure.Some Indian chicks who appeared on Penthouse/Playboy are Jenna
Persaud,Asha Siewkumar and Minnie Gupta.Though I dont think they are
Indian citizens but just Indian ethnicity.The former two are Indians
from the Caribbean islands.

yeskay

Jul 1, 2004, 2:35:14 PM7/1/04
Shishir Yerramilli wrote:
> I have heard about this.I think she has accepted it.I am not
> sure.Some Indian chicks who appeared on Penthouse/Playboy are Jenna
> Persaud,Asha Siewkumar and Minnie Gupta.Though I dont think they are
> Indian citizens but just Indian ethnicity.The former two are Indians
> from the Caribbean islands.

Didn't Pamela Chopra also feature in PH/PB/Hustler?

Jul 1, 2004, 3:08:32 PM7/1/04

> arjunpa...@indya.com (Arjun Pandit) wrote in message
> > yshi...@hotmail.com (Shishir Yerramilli) wrote in message
> > > "Arjun Pandit" <arjunpa...@indya.com> wrote in message

> > > Well,I couldnt guess for the specifics he mentioned(time period
> > > ,full frontal).But youre right,my knowledge of gratuitous nudity in
> > > Indian films could use some brushing up!
> >
> > Few more:
> >
> > Pallavi Joshi - Trishagni
>
> Being a Marathophile,I especially had the hots for Pallavi
> Joshi(however she did not age well,alas).How much did she show in
> Trishagni?

It was a body double. That body was obviously not petite Pallavi's.

Shishir Yerramilli

Jul 2, 2004, 3:03:26 AM7/2/04
yeskay <yes...@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<cc1lh7$r...@netnews.proxy.lucent.com>...

I have heard of Pamela Bordes,who is Pamela Chopra?

Jul 2, 2004, 8:17:11 AM7/2/04

"Shishir Yerramilli" <yshi...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Yash Chopra's wife, but I am sure thats not what yeskay meant. He probably
meant Pamela Bordes, who was actually born as Pamela Singh.

yeskay

Jul 2, 2004, 11:12:29 AM7/2/04

You got that right. It shd be Pamela Bordes, the indian-born britain's
monica lewinsky.

Shishir Yerramilli

Jul 3, 2004, 1:05:36 AM7/3/04
yeskay <yes...@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<cc3u12$q...@netnews.proxy.lucent.com>...
I wasnt aware of this,which politician did she ..."service"?

Gafoor

Jul 3, 2004, 1:32:05 AM7/3/04

British politicians - couple of MP's, IIRC. Google for it.