The Usual Suspects [Spoilers!]

Daniel Donovan

Sep 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/29/95
The Usual Suspects [Warning: has Spoilers!]

I've only seen this fascinating movie once and plan to
see it again for the usual reason. The one detail that
really surprised me was, when Verbal got into the car
at the very end, he lit his cigarette and then held it
in that strange fashion fancied by some Eastern Euro-
peans (you know, with the hand palm up).I was surprised
because that meant, of course, that he was supposed to
be a Turk or a Hungarian, or whatever. Now, how could
a man that young have grown into adulthood in a Eastern
European country with a wife and child, disappeared,
come to this country as an adult, and in a short time
have learned to speak English as well as Kevin Spacey,
with no European accent whatsoever? How, in such a short
period of time, could he have become as familiar with the
American underworld, its slang and its modus operandi
as though he he had spent most of his life enmired in
it? How could he have developed a criminal reputation
as "Verbal" that the native-born crooks in the group,
or at least some of them, were aware of, and at the
same time have been operating as a master international
criminal? It would be better if none of us ever reads
the script of this movie, I suspect. It's more fun
believing we must've missed something.

--

Dan Donovan
cal...@ix.netcom.com

Richard Delval

Sep 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/30/95
In article <44i160$q...@ixnews3.ix.netcom.com> cal...@ix.netcom.com (Daniel Donovan ) writes:
> The Usual Suspects [Warning: has Spoilers!]
>
> I've only seen this fascinating movie once and plan to
> see it again for the usual reason. The one detail that
> really surprised me was, when Verbal got into the car
> at the very end, he lit his cigarette and then held it
> in that strange fashion fancied by some Eastern Euro-
> peans (you know, with the hand palm up).I was surprised

Is that true? That's a detail nobody else has mentioned. Good.

> because that meant, of course, that he was supposed to
> be a Turk or a Hungarian, or whatever. Now, how could
> a man that young have grown into adulthood in a Eastern
> European country with a wife and child, disappeared,
> come to this country as an adult, and in a short time
> have learned to speak English as well as Kevin Spacey,
> with no European accent whatsoever? How, in such a short

You're making some Western assumptions here. I dont believe there was
any mention of K.S.'s age. He may have married as young as 13 or 14.

> period of time, could he have become as familiar with the
> American underworld, its slang and its modus operandi
> as though he he had spent most of his life enmired in
> it? How could he have developed a criminal reputation
> as "Verbal" that the native-born crooks in the group,
> or at least some of them, were aware of, and at the
> same time have been operating as a master international
> criminal? It would be better if none of us ever reads

Whoah. Hold on. As I recall, none of the five knew who Verbal was except
for Keaton. Remember? They wouldn't accept him without Keaton.

> the script of this movie, I suspect. It's more fun
> believing we must've missed something.
>
>--
>

> Dan Donovan
> cal...@ix.netcom.com

- Richard

Andrew L. Smith

Sep 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/30/95
Richard Delval (rde...@us.oracle.com) wrote:
> In article <44i160$q...@ixnews3.ix.netcom.com> cal...@ix.netcom.com (Daniel Donovan ) writes:
> > The Usual Suspects [Warning: has Spoilers!]
> >
> > Now, how could a man that young have grown into adulthood in a Eastern
> > European country with a wife and child, disappeared, come to this
> > country as an adult, and in a short time have learned to speak
> > English as well as Kevin Spacey, with no European accent
> > whatsoever? How, in such a short period of time, could he have

> > become as familiar with the American underworld, its slang and
> > its modus operandi as though he he had spent most of his life
> > enmired in it?

If Verbal made up the entire story as he went along, could we not
assume that he exagurated or embellished the story of Kaiser Soze?
What if the Soze character was just a myth and Verbal drew on that to
make his story either more believable or original. I'm sure after a
second viewing all these pieces will fit together.

Andy