Which movies have subliminal messages?

Randal Morris

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96

Dave Flores wrote:

> I know about subliminal messages in movies like "The Exorcist" and "se7en",
> but can someone provide me with details on others which supposedly have
> subliminal messages?

Could you fill me in on the above mentioned messages. I did not know
they were there, but I guess that was the idea.

--Ranman

KP

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96

In article <01bb7f85$68d83b80$64b6e7cd@default>, "Dave Flores" <wol...@etsc.net> says:
>I know about subliminal messages in movies like "The Exorcist" and "se7en",
>but can someone provide me with details on others which supposedly have
>subliminal messages?
>
>Thanks!

What were the [EAT BIG MAC] subliminal messages in the [& LARGE FRIES] above-
mentioned movies? I don't remember ever [& LARGE COKE] hearing about this
before.

Ronald McDonald

Gary L. Sanders

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96
to KP

"Biker Nuns From Hell Meet Muscle Nurses From Prison"
very subliminal....

KP wrote:

> >but can someone provide me with details on others which supposedly have
> >subliminal messages?
> >

> >Thanks!--
Gary L. Sanders, V.P. Engineering
Sanders Media Adventures, Inc.
Video Design Consulting
C-MAC/SMA Active, Hybrid Video Filters
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/gls_sma
phone/fax (408) 279-5118

Dave Flores

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96

--
The author of the message you have just read was not in his right mind at
the time of its inception, therefore he is not liable for the content or

Michael Carr

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

In article <01bb7f85$68d83b80$64b6e7cd@default>, "Dave Flores"
<wol...@etsc.net> wrote:

Most any GOOD movie should-have GOOD subliminal messages, don't ya' think?
The GREAT films do.

Michael Carr
(who 'thinks' his indie film "TELLURIDE, Time Crosses Over" has such a message)

Sally Waters

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

A subliminal I've seen:
In the movie "Cruising", there is a climactic (excuse the pun) murder in
which a man is stabbed to death; during the scene, there are some VERY
quick cuts interspersing a scene of anal intercourse. The connection
apparently intended by the filmmaker is that for the killer, the stabbing
was the same as having sex.
The most interesting part of this, I think, is that this scene is included
in the excellent documentary "The Celluloid Closet", which uses
"Cruising" as an example of homophobia at its worst - but doesn't mention
the subliminal. I only found out about it after reading a review of "The
Celluloid Closet", and did not spot the subliminal the first time I saw
the documentary, but did see it using the frame advance feature on my
VCR.
I HAVEN'T seen "Cruising", except for what was included in the
documentary.

--Sally

Gary L. Sanders (gls...@ix.netcom.com)
wrote: : "Biker Nuns From Hell Meet Muscle Nurses From Prison"
: very subliminal....

: KP wrote:
: >
: > >but can someone provide me with details on others which supposedly have
: > >subliminal messages?
: > >
: > >Thanks!--

ko...@ix.netcom.com

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

mc4q...@rmi.net (Michael Carr) wrote:

>In article <01bb7f85$68d83b80$64b6e7cd@default>, "Dave Flores"
><wol...@etsc.net> wrote:

>> I know about subliminal messages in movies like "The Exorcist" and "se7en",

>> but can someone provide me with details on others which supposedly have
>> subliminal messages?

Alot of vampire movies have a homosexual message in them. Whether
they are positive or negative depends upon the movie. Think about it,
an underground society of people hated by the general public. There
was one really obvious one on the other day on hbo featuring a
teenager who is infected and becomes a vampire. He is met by a
vampire mentor who is there to act as kind of a guidance counselor.
The ideal was that there were alot of vampires around in the closet
and once you get used to it its not so bad etc. In the film the boys
parents actually think he is gay instead of being a vampire. I got
the impression that the script was originally more of the vampire as
metaphore for gay thing and some hollywood guy decided to make it into
a fast times at ridgmont high teenage exploitation film.

Tra...@ix.netcom.com

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

"Lawrence of Arabia" sold an awful lot of drinks. Could be why Coca-Cola
bought Columbia some years ago. Now Sony owns them and they put in secret
messages like "go ahead and buy a Betamax".
--
Tra...@ix.netcom.com
TECLOC - Preserving "The Window of the World"

Peter L. Sullivan

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

Last movie that I remember having a subliminal message was "Striptease."

It said: LEAVE THE THEATER.

Peter

Arturo Alberto Chamorro

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

"Dave Flores" <wol...@etsc.net> writes:

>I know about subliminal messages in movies like "The Exorcist" and "se7en",
>but can someone provide me with details on others which supposedly have
>subliminal messages?

>Thanks!

How about "Enemy Mine". i think there is a can of Pepsi..hmmm found by one
of the characters on the ground. I'm not sure if it's subliminal enough
though.

R-2.
--
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><aa...@uow.edu.au><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
<> - I'll have a half double decaffeinated half-caf, <>

Leonardo Dasso

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

On Thu, 1 Aug 1996, Randal Morris wrote:

> Dave Flores wrote:
> >
> > I know about subliminal messages in movies like "The Exorcist" and "se7en",
> > but can someone provide me with details on others which supposedly have
> > subliminal messages?
>

> Could you fill me in on the above mentioned messages. I did not know
> they were there, but I guess that was the idea.
>
> --Ranman

I remember for instance that when I was watching Star wars I was
continually thinking: what a bore, what a bore.
Could it have been a subliminal message?
Please let me know.

Leonardo

Jared Levine

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

Well, to give a SERIOUS answer to this question (though some of the
previous answer were most appreciated), Disney has had controversy in
several of its more recent animated movies. The two that come to mind are:

1) Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Supposedly, in the LaserDisc version of the
movie, when you slo-mo it frame by frame, in one scene where you can see
between Jessica Rabbit's legs, there's a phone number. I don't remember
if there was a "For a good time..." type message.

2) The Lion King, in the part where Simba is on his birth rock (for lack
of a better description...Those who saw the movie know what I mean. Where
the ceremony is) (I know, he's there a few times), the dust, etc. that
gets thrown/blown up does, in fact, when paused or slo-mo'ed read "SEX" I
remember seeing one of the entertainment shows actually pausing that
section of the film, and there it was, large as life. The parents
association that was going ballistic over this though, good Lord!

I know there was another movie (non-Disney), but don't remember.

There is one TV show that I know did it. I was absolutely THRILLED when I
actually saw it. The only reason I was capable of knowing what it said
was because I had it taped to watch later in the day, and when back to
look frame by frame. The show: Babylon 5. Don't remember the episode
title, but it was the one that was completely in the format of CBS' 48
Hours -- but it was ISN (is that the name of the news show on B5?).
Amazing. There, at the end of a commercial (as if aired via that news
show -- not a real TV one), was a brief, VERY OBVIOUS flicker in the
screen, but totally illegible because it went so fast. But it was
something they made intentionally laong enough for those taping it to be
compelled to go back and read the message. Anyway, the program was about
the Psi Corps (quite a feared organization). The subliminal message was
of the "Join the Psi Corps. We're Your Friends." type message. It was
quite eerie, and IMMENSELY brilliant! Well done touch to round out a
brilliant program.

Those are my examples. More than you ever wanted, I'm sure. Later!

BoxMaster

Jared Levine "Touch nothing! Fingerprints."
jle...@haven.ios.com -- Monsieur Milo Perrier
homepage: http://haven.ios.com/~jlevine/ _Murder By Death_

You don't like my .sig? Tough luck. You have a GOOD suggestion, e-mail me.
No Star Wars quotes from anyone except Mike. He'll send enough -- I'm sure.

Ryan McGinnis

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

aa...@wumpus.its.uow.edu.au (Arturo Alberto Chamorro) wrote:

>How about "Enemy Mine". i think there is a can of Pepsi..hmmm found by one
>of the characters on the ground. I'm not sure if it's subliminal enough
>though.

I think he means movies with _real_ subliminal messages. I.E.,
flashing a picture of popcorn or Coke every so often... the eye
doesn't register it, but the brain does.

--
+-+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
Ryan McGinnis ()_() TLKiaWoL

Matt Martinez

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

Leonardo Dasso wrote:
> I remember for instance that when I was watching Star wars I was
> continually thinking: what a bore, what a bore.
> Could it have been a subliminal message?
> Please let me know.

I know this was a troll, but...

No, it was not a subliminal message. I realize you are not the only
person who feels this way, but thank God you are in the minority!

--

Matt

This is my anti-sig file.

Bertil Svenson

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

"Dave Flores" <wol...@etsc.net> wrote:

>I know about subliminal messages in movies like "The Exorcist" and "se7en",
>but can someone provide me with details on others which supposedly have
>subliminal messages?

First of all, it depends on what you mean with "subliminal message".
Since you mention "The Exorcist", I think that you are refering to a
shot with a very short duration.

The problem with that kind of "subliminal messages" is that even if
you make the shot as short as is technically possible (1 frame) it
will probably not be short enough to regard as a "subliminal message".

If you broaden the definition, you will get all kinds of answers, as
some of the other answers to your question will prove.

"Subliminal messages" in the narrower sense, however, is a matter of
dispute.

"Subliminal, or even near-subliminal, imagery's effect on a viewer's
awareness or emotions has yet to be proved with any scientific
accuracy. For publicity purposes, it seems to come in handy."
(Wead/Lellis: "Film: Form and Function", p46.)

/BeS

Michael S Ritchie

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

In article <4tudbf$i...@mn5.swip.net>,

Bertil Svenson <bertil....@mailbox.swipnet.se> wrote:
>"Dave Flores" <wol...@etsc.net> wrote:
>
>>I know about subliminal messages in movies like "The Exorcist" and "se7en",
>>but can someone provide me with details on others which supposedly have
>>subliminal messages?
>

>First of all, it depends on what you mean with "subliminal message".
>Since you mention "The Exorcist", I think that you are refering to a
>shot with a very short duration.

Has anyone mentioned the next-to-last shot in Psycho? As Anthony
Perkins is staring up at the camera and grinning, a skull head is
briefly superimposed over his face. Once you know it's there,
it's easy to see. I've heard that some prints don't have it, but
my MCA VHS tape of Psycho has it.

Hervey

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

> mc4q...@rmi.net (Michael Carr) wrote:
>
> >In article <01bb7f85$68d83b80$64b6e7cd@default>, "Dave Flores"

> ><wol...@etsc.net> wrote:
>
> >> I know about subliminal messages in movies like "The Exorcist" and "se7en",
> >> but can someone provide me with details on others which supposedly have
> >> subliminal messages?
>

> Alot of vampire movies have a homosexual message in them. Whether
> they are positive or negative depends upon the movie. Think about it,
> an underground society of people hated by the general public.

I think you misunderstand what is meant by "subliminal message". This not
the same as a covert message. A subliminal message is given through images
placed within film, but given such short duration that they are
undetectable or barely detectable to the brain. The movie industry
experimented with subliminal message in the fifties, placing words like
"Thirsty" or "Drink Coke" in a few frames within films.

I would like to know what the message in Seven is.

Shaun

Andrea Maleck

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

In article <4tu369$h...@sjx-ixn5.ix.netcom.com>, <ko...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>mc4q...@rmi.net (Michael Carr) wrote:
>
>>In article <01bb7f85$68d83b80$64b6e7cd@default>, "Dave Flores"
>><wol...@etsc.net> wrote:
>
>>> I know about subliminal messages in movies like "The Exorcist" and "se7en",
>>> but can someone provide me with details on others which supposedly have
>>> subliminal messages?
>
>Alot of vampire movies have a homosexual message in them.

- stuff deleted here...

Somehow I think we've lost track of what a subliminal message is - it's not
in any way a theme of the film. It's a technique used to place "hidden"
information in a film or commercial (where they were used until they were
outlawed, if I remember correctly.) Typically it's a single frame which
can't be picked up conciously, but which may be picked up subconciously
(ever get a craving for popcorn in the middle of a movie & can't figure out
why?)

Now my question is - are there really subliminals in Seven & the Exorcist?

- Ang

Staple

Aug 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/4/96

Funny, I have never noticed any subliminal messages in movies (or any
other form of media).
<.....[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ staple ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ].......>
<....(c) your .sig here! Only $10/month (c).....>
<..................................................>
<...(c)contact rg...@pacificnet.net for info!(c)...>

Fairall Dennis

Aug 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/4/96

On 1 Aug 1996, Dave Flores wrote:

> Date: 1 AUG 1996 08:49:38 GMT
> From: Dave Flores <wol...@etsc.net>
> Newgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films, rec.arts.movies.misc,
> rec.arts.movies.past-films, rec.arts.movies.tech
> Subject: Which movies have subliminal messages?

> I know about subliminal messages in movies like "The Exorcist" and "se7en",
> but can someone provide me with details on others which supposedly have
> subliminal messages?
>

> Thanks!
>
> --
There is some laserdisc version of "The Exorcist" where cinematographer
points out some subliminal flashes in the movie where we see satan's face
in a double exposure over Linda Blair's. To see this, you would have to
slow down the movie in order top see every frame of it individually.

Also, in an essay by Roger Ebert called "Secrets of the Lambs," he
reveals a bunch of subliminal and hidden stuff in the film. (There are 22
of them in all) For example, there is a quick shot of what appears to be
a ghost figure behind Clarice when she is at the bottom of the stairs
when she is just going to see Lecter for the first time. In another part,
someone tells Clarice that "lecter's heartbeat never went above 85 when
he killed..." and we can hear a faint heart beat sound on the soundtrack.
The director also throws in alot of subliminal clues. Lecter has a
painting of "Belvedere as seen from the Duomo" and Buffalo Bill lives in
Belvedere, Ohio. If you think thats steatching it, listen to this one.
When the police act on the false tip that Bill is in Calamut City, IL,
Clarice goes alone to Belvedere where we see a shot of a lawn ornament of
a wooden Indian paddling a canoe. This resembels the logo of Calamut
Baking Powder. There are many more. Some are pretty unbelievable. But if
you have a copy of Rogers 1993 Home Video Companion, read this essay, its
alot of fun. Makes an creepy movie even creepier.

Jer

Kevin Field

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

For a long list of movies with subliminal shots, track down a book called
BIG SECRETS by William Poundstone. I don't have it handy, but it mentions
THE EXORCIST, Hitchock's SUSPICION (or was it something else of his?
Don't remember), and several others.

Kevin

Jeffrey Schrab

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

Tra...@ix.netcom.com wrote in article
<N.080296....@hou-tx3-12.ix.netcom.com>...

I think Mike Jetlov's (sp?) "The Wizard Of Speed And Time" takes the cake
on this one - I put together a two page list of them once. And I know I
missed some! Great "small guy" flick.

Dave Flores

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

When I was talking about *subliminal*, I meant it in its broadest
sense....anything from one frame shots to pepsi cans in a certain shot.
Here's an item I thought was interesting....It isn't a subliminal message,
but it was in a copy of "Three Men and a Baby" available from my hometown's
local video store...apparently alot of people noticed a ghastly, barely
visible figure in some of the scene's featuring the baby...it was like a
ghost. It would only appear in certain scenes that included the baby.
Alot of people reported it to the video store owner....none of the other
copies had this....it was very, very strange. I guess this is more of an
urban legend, but it was kind of subliminal, in its looser sense.

William McRoy

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

>>>I know about subliminal messages in movies like "The Exorcist" and "se7en",
>>>but can someone provide me with details on others which supposedly have
>>>subliminal messages?

In "The Graduate", there are similar "short shots" when Anne Bancroft traps
Dustin Hoffman upstairs. Very different subject matter from Ex and 7, but
similar photography.
-Bill

Ryan McGinnis

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

who...@whatever.net (Staple) wrote:

>Funny, I have never noticed any subliminal messages in movies (or any
>other form of media).

<VBG>

--
+-+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
Ryan McGinnis ()_() TLKiaWoL

mcg...@pionet.net (_) Jay's Mosh
http:// www.pionet.net/~mcginnr (The Lion King)

AGE

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

In article <01bb82ac$57921d80$78b6e7cd@default>, "Dave Flores"
<wol...@etsc.net> wrote:

what the urban legend is, is that there was a boy who kille himself with a
shotgun at the same spot where they shot some scenes.. if you look closely
you can see somebody behind a curtain in a coupla scenes and you can see
something that resembles a shotgut in a coupla scenes. The production
company shrugged it off and said that they were just props to help the
camera man focus and prepair for the shot, and where accidently left in.
but it is on every single copy of the tape..

AGE

Angela Wilson

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

In article <01bb82ac$57921d80$78b6e7cd@default>, wol...@etsc.net says...

>When I was talking about *subliminal*, I meant it in its broadest
>sense....anything from one frame shots to pepsi cans in a certain shot.
>Here's an item I thought was interesting....It isn't a subliminal
message,
>but it was in a copy of "Three Men and a Baby" available from my
hometown's
>local video store...apparently alot of people noticed a ghastly, barely
>visible figure in some of the scene's featuring the baby...it was like a
>ghost. It would only appear in certain scenes that included the baby.
>Alot of people reported it to the video store owner....none of the other
>copies had this....it was very, very strange. I guess this is more of an
>urban legend, but it was kind of subliminal, in its looser sense.

I have a copy of Three Men and A Baby and there is a "ghost" in one of the
scenes. It is a man standing by a window in the background and seemingly
has nothing to do with the baby. He is there in one shot and gone the
next and not in any other shots as far as I know.

Matt Heffernan

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

AGE wrote:

> In article <01bb82ac$57921d80$78b6e7cd@default>, "Dave Flores"
> <wol...@etsc.net> wrote:
>
> > When I was talking about *subliminal*, I meant it in its broadest
> > sense....anything from one frame shots to pepsi cans in a certain shot.
> > Here's an item I thought was interesting....It isn't a subliminal message,
> > but it was in a copy of "Three Men and a Baby" available from my hometown's
> > local video store...apparently alot of people noticed a ghastly, barely
> > visible figure in some of the scene's featuring the baby...it was like a
> > ghost. It would only appear in certain scenes that included the baby.
> > Alot of people reported it to the video store owner....none of the other
> > copies had this....it was very, very strange. I guess this is more of an
> > urban legend, but it was kind of subliminal, in its looser sense.
>
> what the urban legend is, is that there was a boy who kille himself with a
> shotgun at the same spot where they shot some scenes.. if you look closely
> you can see somebody behind a curtain in a coupla scenes and you can see
> something that resembles a shotgut in a coupla scenes. The production
> company shrugged it off and said that they were just props to help the
> camera man focus and prepair for the shot, and where accidently left in.
> but it is on every single copy of the tape..
>
> AGE

The "apparition" in _Three Men and a Baby_ is actually a cardboard
cut-out of
Ted Danson sporting tails and a top hat behind the curtain in his room.
You
can see it in focus in other scenes.

--
:) ;)
Matt Heffernan

"But it's sad to see our chances weakening with every hour
All your followers are blind
Too much heaven on their minds
It was beautiful but now it's sour"
Jesus Christ Superstar - "Heaven On Their Minds"

Visit my homepage at http://www.cs.rit.edu/~msh6880
and its EVIL TWIN at http://www.isc.rit.edu/~msh6880

Pickled

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

AGE wrote:

> what the urban legend is, is that there was a boy who kille himself with a
> shotgun at the same spot where they shot some scenes.. if you look closely
> you can see somebody behind a curtain in a coupla scenes and you can see
> something that resembles a shotgut in a coupla scenes. The production
> company shrugged it off and said that they were just props to help the
> camera man focus and prepair for the shot, and where accidently left in.
> but it is on every single copy of the tape..

I'd heard that it is actually a standee of Ted Danson. If I remember correctly, his
character was an actor, and this was supposed to be from one of the films he was
starring in. It was an intentional part of the scenery.

...of course, I may be wrong.

Alice.
***********
"I'm really thirsty. I used to dehydrate as a kid. One time it got so bad my piss come
out like snot -- I'm not kidding. It was all thick and gooey..." -Verbal Kint (The
Usual Suspects)

Darren Reynolds

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

In article <4u5fma$g...@newsgate.duke.edu>,
wil...@mail.duke.edu (Angela Wilson) wrote:

>I have a copy of Three Men and A Baby and there is a "ghost" in one of the
>scenes. It is a man standing by a window in the background and seemingly
>has nothing to do with the baby. He is there in one shot and gone the
>next and not in any other shots as far as I know.

That is wierd. Why have you got a copy of Three Men And A Baby?

Darren

dar...@reinwood.demon.co.uk

Angela Wilson

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

JSC

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

Angela Wilson wrote:
> I have a copy of Three Men and A Baby and there is a "ghost" in one of the
> scenes. It is a man standing by a window in the background and seemingly
> has nothing to do with the baby. He is there in one shot and gone the
> next and not in any other shots as far as I know.

This topic has been covered rather well, and frequently, in alt.folklore.urban. Check
out their FAQ. (It's a cardboard cutout of Ted Danson, not a ghost).

DONALD L. AYRTON

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

On 2 Aug 1996, Arturo Alberto Chamorro wrote:

> "Dave Flores" <wol...@etsc.net> writes:
>
> >I know about subliminal messages in movies like "The Exorcist" and "se7en",
> >but can someone provide me with details on others which supposedly have
> >subliminal messages?
>

> How about "Enemy Mine". i think there is a can of Pepsi..hmmm found by one
> of the characters on the ground. I'm not sure if it's subliminal enough
> though.

That's not a "subliminal message" that's just Product Placement. The
"Subliminal messages" in THE EXORCIST and SEVEN aren't subliminals (below
the threshold of concious preception) either, they are just single frame
images inserted into a shot. Before anyone starts down the road of "You
can't see single frames" -- if you've ever seen the "2" in a standard
SMPTE leader (the one that counts down from 8 to 2), you've seen a single
frame.

DONALD L. AYRTON

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

On 3 Aug 1996, Andrea Maleck wrote:

> - stuff deleted here...
>
> Somehow I think we've lost track of what a subliminal message is - it's not
> in any way a theme of the film. It's a technique used to place "hidden"
> information in a film or commercial (where they were used until they were
> outlawed, if I remember correctly.)

So far as I've been able to find out, there are no such laws regarding
motion pictures of television. It has been rumored that they _may_ be
some concerning audio subliminal suggestions for use in stores and
workplaces, but I don't have any hard information on that one, either.

> Typically it's a single frame which
> can't be picked up conciously, but which may be picked up subconciously
> (ever get a craving for popcorn in the middle of a movie & can't figure out
> why?)

Not quite correct. You most certainly _can_ see single frames,
especially if they differ significantly from their fellows. The "2" in
SMPTE leader is an excellent example, being exactly one frame in
duration. There are no "eat popcorn" images inserted into movies -- if
you are getting cravings that is your own body doing the suggesting <smile>.

Mirrophonic

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

DONALD L. AYRTON wrote:

> Not quite correct. You most certainly _can_ see single frames,
> especially if they differ significantly from their fellows. The "2" in
> SMPTE leader is an excellent example, being exactly one frame in
> duration. There are no "eat popcorn" images inserted into movies -- if
> you are getting cravings that is your own body doing the suggesting <smile>.

Once, back in the days of steam-driven projection, my co-hort on the previous shift
used a pin to scratch the word "cue" very small and right in the exact place
on the frame before the cue marks started. I practically yelled out "I saw that,
you @#$^%^&"! He was very pleased with himself.

It's my understanding that a true subliminal must be shown somewhat less than
1/100 of a second to not be perceived directly.

Hank

Brian Lipscomb

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

In article <3206E0...@mail.idt.net>, pick...@mail.idt.net says...

>AGE wrote:

>I'd heard that it is actually a standee of Ted Danson. If I remember
correctly, his
>character was an actor, and this was supposed to be from one of the films he
was
>starring in. It was an intentional part of the scenery.
>
>...of course, I may be wrong.

This is exactly what I have heard- I believe I read it in one of
Brunvard's Urban Legend books. The UL surrounding the ghostly image on video
is that the film was shot in an apartment in which a young boy had recently
meet a tragic end. His ghostly image appeared in the movie. Unfortunatly
the apartment scenes were shot on a sound stage. But who knows it could be
the spirit of a gaffer or boom boy.

tam...@aloha.net

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

Angela Wilson wrote:

> In article <01bb82ac$57921d80$78b6e7cd@default>, wol...@etsc.net says...

> >local video store...apparently alot of people noticed a ghastly, barely
> >visible figure in some of the scene's featuring the baby...it was like a
> >ghost.
> >
> I have a copy of Three Men and A Baby and there is a "ghost" in one of the
> scenes. It is a man standing by a window in the background and seemingly
> has nothing to do with the baby. He is there in one shot and gone the
> next and not in any other shots as far as I know.

I'm trying to find the alt.folklore.urban FAQ, because it goes into
more detail. . .

I can tell you that this "ghostly image" is only a cardboard cutout
of Ted Danson's character -- if you remember, he's very vain, and
presumably kept the image of himself to enjoy.

It's simply a continuity glitch that this cardboard image isn't seen
for a longer period in the film.

DONALD L. AYRTON

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

On 3 Aug 1996, Hervey wrote:

> undetectable or barely detectable to the brain. The movie industry
> experimented with subliminal message in the fifties, placing words like
> "Thirsty" or "Drink Coke" in a few frames within films.

Actually, that wasn't the "movie industry" at large but rather one guy
that was trying to sell his "invention", a device that flashed images on
the screen with a duration shorter than human concious preception during
the regularly projected movies. The device was seperate from the movie
projector. He then cooked a "study" that proported to show the "success"
of his invention.

The whole thing was a scam to sell his device to theatre owners.

Aaron Bergman

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

DONALD L. AYRTON (DAY...@wesleyan.edu) wrote:
: So far as I've been able to find out, there are no such laws regarding
: motion pictures of television. It has been rumored that they _may_ be
: some concerning audio subliminal suggestions for use in stores and
: workplaces, but I don't have any hard information on that one, either.

As I understand it, you can't have anything less that x frames
long. This comes from the b5 group where a fake subliminal
message was inserted as a joke and the producer (who posts) said
that he had to make it so long per FCC regulations.

Aaron
--
Aaron Bergman -- aber...@minerva.cis.yale.edu
<http://pantheon.yale.edu/~abergman/abergman.html>

Robert Skey

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

>>I have a copy of Three Men and A Baby

> That is wierd. Why have you got a copy of Three Men And A Baby?

Good one Darren ;-)

__
| \ |_ Robert Skey - R...@stovies.demon.co.uk
| / /\ | \ Connecting via Demon Internet Ltd
| \/__\|_/ "Life without coffee is no life at all"

Christopher M. Ripp

Aug 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/7/96

DONALD L. AYRTON <DAY...@wesleyan.edu> wrote in article
<Pine.VMS.3.91-vms-b4.96...@eagle.wesleyan.edu>...

> On 2 Aug 1996, Arturo Alberto Chamorro wrote:
>
> > "Dave Flores" <wol...@etsc.net> writes:
> >

> > >I know about subliminal messages in movies like "The Exorcist" and
"se7en",
> > >but can someone provide me with details on others which supposedly
have
> > >subliminal messages?
> >

> > How about "Enemy Mine". i think there is a can of Pepsi..hmmm found by
one
> > of the characters on the ground. I'm not sure if it's subliminal enough

> > though.
>
> That's not a "subliminal message" that's just Product Placement. The
> "Subliminal messages" in THE EXORCIST and SEVEN aren't subliminals (below

> the threshold of concious preception) either, they are just single frame
> images inserted into a shot. Before anyone starts down the road of "You
> can't see single frames" -- if you've ever seen the "2" in a standard
> SMPTE leader (the one that counts down from 8 to 2), you've seen a single

> frame.

Not sure if this counts as a subliminal message...but how about in Pink
Floyd:The Wall....
Whenever you see a close up shot of the brick wall...
The bricks and their shadows, etc. *sort of* form the word WALL right in
the middle of the picture.
It's really there.

I'm trying to think of a movie I saw recently (coulda been a trailer...)
where intermixed in the credits were 'flashes.' in which you couldn't make
out what was there, but something was. I wish I could remember it.

--
===Christopher M. Ripp=================== http://coming soon ==

ri...@matrixbel.com *Trendy net-quote under research*
ri...@tulsa.dowell.slb.com

==================================================================1:1===
Standard disclaimer(tm) applies....

DONALD L. AYRTON

Aug 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/7/96

On 6 Aug 1996, Aaron Bergman wrote:

> DONALD L. AYRTON (DAY...@wesleyan.edu) wrote:
> : So far as I've been able to find out, there are no such laws regarding

> : motion pictures or television. It has been rumored that they _may_ be

> : some concerning audio subliminal suggestions for use in stores and
> : workplaces, but I don't have any hard information on that one, either.
>
> As I understand it, you can't have anything less that x frames
> long. This comes from the b5 group where a fake subliminal
> message was inserted as a joke and the producer (who posts) said
> that he had to make it so long per FCC regulations.

That doesn't sound right either. There's plenty of music videos out
there that have shots that are clearly one or two frames long.

Marc Beebe

Aug 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/7/96

mal...@pongo.ecn.purdue.edu (Andrea Maleck) writes:

>Somehow I think we've lost track of what a subliminal message is - it's not
>in any way a theme of the film. It's a technique used to place "hidden"
>information in a film or commercial (where they were used until they were

>outlawed, if I remember correctly.) Typically it's a single frame which

>can't be picked up conciously, but which may be picked up subconciously
>(ever get a craving for popcorn in the middle of a movie & can't figure out
>why?)

>- Ang

This alludes to either a classic urban myth or a classic marketing story,
depending on your point of view. In late 1957 a guy named James Vicary held
a press conference to discuss a brand new advertising technique he developed.
Using a device called a tachisticscope he claimed he was able to flash
messages on a movie screen, during the movie, for incredibly short periods
of time (1/30,000th of a second) and that this would affect people's behavior.
In his press conference, he claimed that during a six week period at a movie
theater in Fort Lee, New Jersey, he flashed the messages "Eat Popcorn" and
"Drink Coca-cola" on the movie screen during the playing of the movie, and
increased popcorn sales buy 57.5% and coke sales by 18.1%.

He managed to convince enough people of this that congress held hearings on
the dangers of subliminal advertising and companies paid him millions of
dollars in consulting fees. Of course the best part of this story is that
he was lying. He never did the study, and even if he did, it wouldn't have
worked. Subliminal advertising just doesn't work. In general, if you can't
perceive a message, you won't follow it.

Marc

--
Marc Beebe be...@rci.rutgers.edu
Department of Psychology voice: (908) 445-4036

Thad Smith

Aug 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/7/96

In article <01bb7f85$68d83b80$64b6e7cd@default>,
"Dave Flores" <wol...@etsc.net> wrote:
>I know about subliminal messages in movies like "The Exorcist" and "se7en",
>but can someone provide me with details on others which supposedly have
>subliminal messages?

There is a low-budget film (can't recall the title) about a special
effects guy trying to get work in the movies. He put together a
single-frame sequence of himself running and other stuff. Near the
end of the film his sequence is shown. It includes messages written
over the scenes in some of the frames. It is even proceeded by a
subliminal message in a frame (or frames) saying "Here come the
subliminals".

I only noticed it when single-frame stepping the video.

Thad

rh...@wwdc.com

Aug 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/10/96

In <4u7go5$o...@newsgate.duke.edu>, wil...@mail.duke.edu (Angela Wilson) writes:
>In article <AE2CF065...@reinwood.demon.co.uk>,
>dar...@reinwood.demon.co.uk says...
>>
>>In article <4u5fma$g...@newsgate.duke.edu>,
>>wil...@mail.duke.edu (Angela Wilson) wrote:
>>

>>>I have a copy of Three Men and A Baby and there is a "ghost" in one of
>the
>>>scenes. It is a man standing by a window in the background and
>seemingly
>>>has nothing to do with the baby. He is there in one shot and gone the
>>>next and not in any other shots as far as I know.
>>>

>>That is wierd. Why have you got a copy of Three Men And A Baby?
>>
>>Darren
>>
>>dar...@reinwood.demon.co.uk
>>

>Why Not?

This may not be what you had in mind but I thought Being There with Peter
Sellers (1982?) was brilliant for its understated, if not subliminal, messages.
There are many scenes where Sellers' character is watching something on TV
and the soundtrack of the TV program is there but very quiet. Normally, I would
tune that kind of thing out but in this case, the soundtrack was extremely
important for making the points in the story.

Best Regards,

RRRR H H I N N OOO
R R H H I N N O O
R R H H I NN N O O
R R H H I NN N O O
RRRR HHHHH I N N N O O
RR H H I N NN O O
R R H H I N NN O O
R R H H I N N O O
R R H H I N N OOO

rh...@wwdc.com

Matt Heffernan

Aug 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/10/96

rh...@wwdc.com wrote:

> In <4u7go5$o...@newsgate.duke.edu>, wil...@mail.duke.edu (Angela Wilson) writes:
> >In article <AE2CF065...@reinwood.demon.co.uk>,
> >dar...@reinwood.demon.co.uk says...

> >the
> >seemingly
> >>>

> >>That is wierd. Why have you got a copy of Three Men And A Baby?
> >>
> >>Darren
> >>
> >>dar...@reinwood.demon.co.uk
> >>

> >Why Not?
> >

> This may not be what you had in mind but I thought Being There with Peter
> Sellers (1982?) was brilliant for its understated, if not subliminal, messages.
> There are many scenes where Sellers' character is watching something on TV
> and the soundtrack of the TV program is there but very quiet. Normally, I would
> tune that kind of thing out but in this case, the soundtrack was extremely
> important for making the points in the story.

If you could consciously hear it, then it wasn't subliminal. One cannot
detect
a subliminal message (visual or auditory) no matter how hard the person
tries.
A subliminal message on the soundtrack would be easier than a visual
one, since
a single frame can be picked out. I seriously doubt, however, that
subliminal
messagesactually exist, even on those "inspirational" tapes with the
nature
sounds that make you lose weight, stop smoking, etc due to claimed
"subliminal" messages. The only way these tapes could really work is if
the
person undergoes self-hypnosis, and suggests to himself what he wants
from
this experience.

The only things that one could possibly count as subliminal, are single
frame
shots in films, however they can be detectable if you look for them. I
heard
that the animators who made the Betty Boop films, angered over
censorship
from religious zealots, drew single frames of Betty naked. I have not
seen
this proven, but even if it was true, this was merely a joke, and not
meant
to influence people's subconscious.

Sooner

Aug 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/10/96

AGE wrote:

> In article <01bb82ac$57921d80$78b6e7cd@default>, "Dave Flores"

> <wol...@etsc.net> wrote:
>
> > When I was talking about *subliminal*, I meant it in its broadest
> > sense....anything from one frame shots to pepsi cans in a certain shot.
> > Here's an item I thought was interesting....It isn't a subliminal message,
> > but it was in a copy of "Three Men and a Baby" available from my hometown's
> > local video store...apparently alot of people noticed a ghastly, barely
> > visible figure in some of the scene's featuring the baby...it was like a
> > ghost. It would only appear in certain scenes that included the baby.
> > Alot of people reported it to the video store owner....none of the other
> > copies had this....it was very, very strange. I guess this is more of an
> > urban legend, but it was kind of subliminal, in its looser sense.
>
> what the urban legend is, is that there was a boy who kille himself with a
> shotgun at the same spot where they shot some scenes.. if you look closely
> you can see somebody behind a curtain in a coupla scenes and you can see
> something that resembles a shotgut in a coupla scenes. The production
> company shrugged it off and said that they were just props to help the
> camera man focus and prepair for the shot, and where accidently left in.
> but it is on every single copy of the tape..
>
> AGE
Well, you only butchered the Urban legend a little but the production
company said, and what it was, was a cardboard cut out of Ted Danson in
the tux that was used for promotions. Somebody slipped it behind the
curtain. If you know that and you see it, it is very clear.

--
Sooner

" ...those aren't pillows!!!"

Neal Page, Planes, Trains and Automobiles

ste...@svcdoc.mc.xerox.com
soo...@frontiernet.net

Duggy

Aug 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/12/96

On Mon, 5 Aug 1996, AGE wrote:

> In article <01bb82ac$57921d80$78b6e7cd@default>, "Dave Flores"
> <wol...@etsc.net> wrote:

> what the urban legend is, is that there was a boy who kille himself with a
> shotgun at the same spot where they shot some scenes.. if you look closely
> you can see somebody behind a curtain in a coupla scenes and you can see
> something that resembles a shotgut in a coupla scenes. The production
> company shrugged it off and said that they were just props to help the
> camera man focus and prepair for the shot, and where accidently left in.
> but it is on every single copy of the tape..

The scene I've seen it in is where Ted's character is trying to convince
his mother to look after the child.

> AGE

- Dug.

|STANDARD DISCLAIMER:| Paul "Duggy" Duggan. | I lost a |
| I didn't do it, | | fight to |
|Nobody saw me do it,| <Paul....@jcu.edu.au> | the death |
| You can't prove | | with my |
| Anything... |http://www.jcu.edu.au/~coe-pad| Evil Twin.|
|________________D_E_N_Y_________E_V_E_R_Y_T_H_I_N_G|___________|

Franknseus

Aug 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/12/96

Does anyone on this thread know what a subliminal message is? It is not
a metaphor (as in the vampire example). It is not a quick shot, as in a
lot of the examples here. It is a spread out series of one or two frames,
invisible to the eye, that theoretically can be picked up subconsciously.
In the old days (supposedly), they used to add subliminal pictures of
popcorn and drinks during movies.

So it goes something like this:

5 frames from, say, House of Wax.
1 frame of popcorn.
5 more frames from House of Wax.
Another frame of popcorn.

Repeat this sequence a couple times. To you, it just seems like you're
watching House of Wax. But your mind says, "Hmmm, I could go for some
popcorn."

If you noticed it, it is not a subliminal message. Therefore, the
plainly visible quick cut at the climax of Seven is NOT a subliminal
message. Likewise, the disturbing aftermath of Richie Gecko's deed in the
hotel room in From Dusk Till Dawn.

Bryan Frankenseuss Theiss
"Legend has it a viking ship went down in Hell's Bucket 500 years ago. One
of the vikings was spared a grisly death by a shark that fell in love with
him. Well, you know how it goes. One thing led to another 'n..."
"The viking knocked up the shark?"
"And they had one offspring. Chocki." --Cabin Boy

Mike D'Angelo

Aug 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/12/96

Franknseus (frank...@aol.com) wrote:

: Does anyone on this thread know what a subliminal message is? [...] It

: is a spread out series of one or two frames, invisible to the eye, that
: theoretically can be picked up subconsciously.

A single movie frame, projected for approximately 1/24 of a second, is
easily perceived by the conscious mind, especially if it differs
noticeably from the frames surrounding it. A single frame of a bag of
popcorn inserted into a one-second shot of (say) a car chase, as per your
example (deleted by me), would be immediately apparent. You might not
detect that it was a bag of popcorn, if you weren't prepared for it, but
you'd see that *something* weird had happened. It'd be jarring. See THE
EXORCIST, SE7EN, etc. (Bryant, on how many frames is Paltrow's face
visible in the latter?)

: In the old days (supposedly), they used to add subliminal pictures of

: popcorn and drinks during movies.

This is an urban legend, based on a tiny nugget of truth. There was an
experiment performed in the 1960's, using a tachistoscope, in which
messages like "Hungry? Eat Popcorn" and "Drink Coca-Cola" were flashed at
patrons during a six-week period at a *single* movie theater. Note that
the tachistoscope, which is a modified projector with a very high-speed
shutter, can flash messages that appear for only 1/3000 of a second
(again, a single movie frame is about 1/24 of a second -- *big*
difference). The experimenters claimed that popcorn and Coke sales
increased during these six weeks, but the results were subsequently
discredited (I forget the details, sorry...I'm amazed that I remember the
word 'tachistoscope,' frankly)...though not before several jurisdictions
passed laws banning subliminal advertising. I imagine those laws are
still on the books.

In short, there's not much to this 'subliminal' stuff.

Mike "(hot sex)" D'Angelo

Tisch School of the Arts, NYU
http://pages.nyu.edu/~mqd8478

anti...@ix.netcom.com

Aug 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/13/96

mqd...@is2.nyu.edu (Mike D'Angelo) wrote:

>Franknseus (frank...@aol.com) wrote:

>: Does anyone on this thread know what a subliminal message is? [...] It
>: is a spread out series of one or two frames, invisible to the eye, that
>: theoretically can be picked up subconsciously.

It doesnt have to be a frame that your eye doesnt catch. One example
of a subliminal message was in a vodka magazine add. There was a
picture of a glass of vodka with ice. Pretty normal stuff except with
in the ice cube was an image of a skull you wouldnt catch unless you
were looking for it. The vodka company intentionally put that image
there as they believed that people who drank hard liquors frequently
were subconsciously desiring death. A more famous example is Joe
Camels nose. Basically subliminal could mean anything you wouldnt
pick up consciousiously but would register in you subconsciously.

Hervey

Aug 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/13/96

> It doesnt have to be a frame that your eye doesnt catch. One example
> of a subliminal message was in a vodka magazine add. There was a
> picture of a glass of vodka with ice. Pretty normal stuff except with
> in the ice cube was an image of a skull you wouldnt catch unless you
> were looking for it. The vodka company intentionally put that image
> there as they believed that people who drank hard liquors frequently
> were subconsciously desiring death. A more famous example is Joe
> Camels nose. Basically subliminal could mean anything you wouldnt
> pick up consciousiously but would register in you subconsciously.

What about Joe Camel's nose? Phallic?

space for rent

Aug 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/13/96

Sometimes movies have signs in the background or other things to get
a point across. I thnk Spike Lee has used garafitti on walls in some
of his movies. But he is more obvious. I read once that in "Its
a Wonderful Life" in a scene where the bank is going bankrupt there is
a picture on the wall of President Hoover reminding people of who is
responsible for the depression.

On 12 Aug 1996, Franknseus wrote:

> Does anyone on this thread know what a subliminal message is? It is not
> a metaphor (as in the vampire example). It is not a quick shot, as in a

> lot of the examples here. It is a spread out series of one or two frames,

> invisible to the eye, that theoretically can be picked up subconsciously.

> In the old days (supposedly), they used to add subliminal pictures of
> popcorn and drinks during movies.

The Ref

Aug 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/13/96

Subliminal messages? That's a load of rich, creamery butter.

The Ref | tlar...@acs.bu.edu
The Love Dungeon, on the move AGAIN:
http://acs4.bu.edu:8001/~tlarkham/home.html
"Heh Heh Heh! Lisa! Vampires are make believe, just like elves and
gremlins and eskimos!"
--Homer Simpson

Franknseus

Aug 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/13/96

In article <4uo31o$4...@news.nyu.edu>, mqd...@is2.nyu.edu (Mike D'Angelo)
writes:

>This is an urban legend, based on a tiny nugget of truth. There was an
>experiment performed in the 1960's, using a tachistoscope, in which
>messages like "Hungry? Eat Popcorn" and "Drink Coca-Cola" were flashed at
>patrons during a six-week period at a *single* movie theater. Note that
>the tachistoscope, which is a modified projector with a very high-speed
>shutter, can flash messages that appear for only 1/3000 of a second
>(again, a single movie frame is about 1/24 of a second -- *big*
>difference). The experimenters claimed that popcorn and Coke sales
>increased during these six weeks, but the results were subsequently
>discredited (I forget the details, sorry...I'm amazed that I remember the
>word 'tachistoscope,' frankly)...though not before several jurisdictions
>passed laws banning subliminal advertising. I imagine those laws are
>still on the books.

Thanks Mike -- I trust your information is more accurate than mine (it
just goes to show you can't always trust what you learned in school).
Still, at least my general concept is a lot closer to the theory of
subliminal messages than what these guys are talking about. I just wanted
to point out that the "subliminal message" in Seven isn't subliminal.

Mark E. Smith

Aug 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/14/96

In article <4uo31o$4...@news.nyu.edu>, mqd...@is2.nyu.edu (Mike D'Angelo) wrote:
> A single movie frame, projected for approximately 1/24 of a
> second, is easily perceived by the conscious mind, especially
> if it differs noticeably from the frames surrounding it. A
> single frame of a bag of popcorn inserted into a one-second
> shot of (say) a car chase, as per your example (deleted by me),
> would be immediately apparent. You might not detect that it was
> a bag of popcorn, if you weren't prepared for it, but you'd see
> that *something* weird had happened. It'd be jarring. See THE
> EXORCIST, SE7EN, etc.

William Poundstone reports that the face in THE EXORCIST is
flashed for two frames each time it appears. Being a face, and a
garishly made-up one at that, it isn't that tough to spot. You
can literally blink and miss it, but if you're paying attention
it can give you a bit of a start.
--
Mark E. Smith <msm...@tfs.net>
DO-IT-YOURSELF MYTH NO. 11: If you collect enough ______ they can

Evan Platt

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

Excuse my ignorance, but what is SMPTE?

David Richards

Aug 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/16/96

>Excuse my ignorance, but what is SMPTE?

It is the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers, the recognized
standards-setting body for film and TV production. If you are at all
interested in the technical aspects of film and TV, you should join. The
monthly journal alone is worth the membership fee. There are cool local
section meetings, and annual conferences. Check them out at www.smpte.org.

Dave

Matt Martinez

Aug 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/16/96

Mark E. Smith wrote:
> William Poundstone reports that the face in THE EXORCIST is
> flashed for two frames each time it appears. Being a face, and a
> garishly made-up one at that, it isn't that tough to spot. You
> can literally blink and miss it, but if you're paying attention
> it can give you a bit of a start.

I SAW THAT! It really, really, really, scared the sh!t out of me! The
image was just burned into my brain that night when I tried to get to
sleep! It's even giving me chills right now as I think about it! Was
that supposed to be Father Karras(sp?)'s face?

--

Matt

This is my anti-sig file.

Scribbler

Aug 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/16/96

Arturo Alberto Chamorro wrote:

> "Dave Flores" <wol...@etsc.net> writes:
>
> >I know about subliminal messages in movies like "The Exorcist" and "se7en",

Sorry to barge in with an unsolicited query, but now I'm really curious
about the sublims in The Exorcist. I'd never heard about this--could
someone enlighten me? I've viewed the flick about ten times--what has it
been telling me?????!!!!!?????

Jitter, jitter,

Scribbler

Ronald Freilinger

Aug 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/16/96

space for rent <fp...@MHFP.SWMED.EDU> wrote:

>Sometimes movies have signs in the background or other things to get
>a point across. I thnk Spike Lee has used garafitti on walls in some
>of his movies. But he is more obvious. I read once that in "Its
>a Wonderful Life" in a scene where the bank is going bankrupt there is
>a picture on the wall of President Hoover reminding people of who is
>responsible for the depression.

Are you kidding? President Hoover was responsible for the depression?
Wow.

Susan Germain

Aug 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/17/96

> Excuse my ignorance, but what is SMPTE?

You must not listen to Frank Zappa, "Society of Motion Picture &
Television Engineers"

I, too am curious of the Exorcist SM. I never noticed anything but the
wierd voice sounds like what you hear when playing records backwords.

I did plainly see the deathmask over Norman Bate's face in the last few
frames of Psyco. It did send a chill up the whole film classes spine!
Susan

Chris G. Perrott

Aug 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/19/96

I was watching Malaysia 2 and there was an ad for Twisties
with this actor dressed up as a mummy. Two ads later, in the
middle of an ad for bread, I'm sure I saw a single frame
of the Twisties mummy.

Is this a known advertising technique, or did they maybe
just do a bad edit?

Chris Perrott

Ronald Freilinger

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

The Brady Bunch movies are full of 'em.

Xiuhte...@worldnet.att.net

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

On 1 Aug 1996 08:49:38 GMT,
"Dave Flores" <wol...@etsc.net>
asseverated the following adage, precept, epigram and/or apothegm:

:I know about subliminal messages in movies like "The Exorcist" and "se7en",
:but can someone provide me with details on others which supposedly have
:subliminal messages?

Ummm. Telephon?

Xiuhte...@worldnet.att.net

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

On Fri, 02 Aug 1996 23:21:35 GMT,
ko...@ix.netcom.com

asseverated the following adage, precept, epigram and/or apothegm:

:Alot of vampire movies have a homosexual message in them. Whether
:they are positive or negative depends upon the movie. Think about it,
:an underground society of people hated by the general public. There
:was one really obvious one on the other day on hbo featuring a
:teenager who is infected and becomes a vampire. He is met by a
:vampire mentor who is there to act as kind of a guidance counselor.

I know the movie you're talking about. There's a funny scene in
which the boy developes a taste for raw meat -- bloody. He makes
disgusting "meat shakes" and tries to hide the evidence from his
father and mother. The guidance counselor suggests that the boy
go to a butcher and purchase cow's blood by the quart. He goes
to an all-night market late at night -- it's just like a kid trying
to buy a pack of condoms. He buys all this crap and then he finally
gets his nerve up to ask for the cow's blood. The butcher smiles
and says "why didn't you ask for that in the first place?"

:The ideal was that there were alot of vampires around in the closet
:and once you get used to it its not so bad etc. In the film the boys
:parents actually think he is gay instead of being a vampire. I got
:the impression that the script was originally more of the vampire as
:metaphore for gay thing and some hollywood guy decided to make it into
:a fast times at ridgmont high teenage exploitation film.

Generally, the film was inferior. It had something to do with a trio
of boys who were going to lose their virginity. There's a woman
in a big house (haunted). So, I started out expecting the sex angle.
Then they went off on the kid being a "sensitive poet" type lad.
And he smiled so ingratiatingly at his two friends. Phhhht.

Xiuhte...@worldnet.att.net

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

On 7 Aug 1996 12:42:07 -0400,
be...@niflheim.rutgers.edu (Marc Beebe)

asseverated the following adage, precept, epigram and/or apothegm:
: Subliminal advertising just doesn't work. In general, if you can't

:perceive a message, you won't follow it.

Yes, but then there's the issue of subtle product placements. How
would this register on the brain? There's a lot of advertisements
on a wall and one of them is for Coca Cola. The others are bogus
or in a foriegn language. The actors are making passionate love
near the Coke advertisement so that you'll only notice in the
periphery of your vision.

AGE

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

In article <4vg7hr$3...@mtinsc01-mgt.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
Xiuhte...@worldnet.att.net wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Aug 1996 23:21:35 GMT,
> ko...@ix.netcom.com

> asseverated the following adage, precept, epigram and/or apothegm:

"Once Bitten" with jim carrey... his first starring role in a motion p icture

AGE

Philip Solis

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

What is shown in SE7EN? - I saw it only once.

--
-----
--PHIL---

Matt Martinez

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

Philip Solis wrote:

> What is shown in SE7EN? - I saw it only once.

I thought what was being referred to was, in the end, when Somerset(?)
(the guy Brad Pitt played) was trying to decide whether or not to blow
John Doe's head off and they flash that image of his wife's face for a
split second. (I really thought that was cool, since it let you know
exactly what he was thinking of at that precise moment.)

Robert Whyte

Aug 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/25/96

Recently, stre...@aol.com (Susan Germain) spake thusly:

If you want to see a movie that is absolutely PACKED with "subliminal"
messages, rent the movie "The Wizard of Speed and Time." The movie was
produced, directed, edited and effected by and starred Mike Jittlov, an
ex-Disney animator (he stop-motion animated the original Mickey-head
satellite for The Disney Channel) and he placed over a hundred little
messages at various places throughout the film (mostly as text or
images placed into effects shots). There is a semi-complete list of the
sublims posted every now and then to the newsgroup alt.fan.mike-jittlov
(to which Mike sometimes posts), so if you want a copy of it, just ask
there and someone will post it again.

Robert Whyte

Let there be light, erm, and I guess maybe a magnetic field.

Russell Kerrison

Aug 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/26/96

Philip Solis wrote:

> What is shown in SE7EN? - I saw it only once.

At the end of the film, just before Brad Pitt shoots the bad guy you see
a flash of his wife's face in black and white.

According to the editor, Richard Francis-Bruce, there are only a couple
of frames of this and many people don't notice it.

However, I wouldn't go calling this particular instnace "subliminal" as
such.

Russell Kerrison | rker...@pcug.org.au
Canberra Australia | www.pcug.org.au/~rkerriso
Short Message Service: | Ph: 0411 479 550
04114795...@gsm.hutch.com.au (max 120 characters)

sl...@cc.usu.edu

Aug 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/26/96

"Jade" has subliminal messages, if you can stand sitting through it.

David Richards

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

In article <4vpl2c$4...@hobyah.cc.uq.oz.au> s34...@student.uq.edu.au (Robert Whyte) writes:
>If you want to see a movie that is absolutely PACKED with "subliminal"
>messages, rent the movie "The Wizard of Speed and Time." The movie was
>produced, directed, edited and effected by and starred Mike Jittlov, [etc]

On second thought, the last I heard, the movie had basically been stolen
from Mike by the distributors. He was never paid, and doesn't get any of
the royalties he is due. So unless this situation has changed recently,
I would not in any way support this title by either purchase or rental.
(I guess you might steal a copy :-)

Dave

AGE

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

In article <daverichD...@netcom.com>, dave...@netcom.com (David
Richards) wrote:

not tryiing to knock on this or anything, but if the video store has a
copy of the movie already, the distributor has already made his money...
it's not the production companies you are supporting when you rent, it is
the video store you are supporting.. however you would not want your
video store to purchase a copy of it just for you to rent.. then you would
be supporting the bad guys...

also someone had posted in this thread of a paper written by eithe siskel
or ebert about silence of the lambs and subliminal messages in the film..
anybody know where i can get a copy of it?

AGE

Susan C. Mitchell

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

David Richards (dave...@netcom.com) wrote:
: In article <4vpl2c$4...@hobyah.cc.uq.oz.au> s34...@student.uq.edu.au (Robert Whyte) writes:
: >If you want to see a movie that is absolutely PACKED with "subliminal"
: >messages, rent the movie "The Wizard of Speed and Time." The movie was
: >produced, directed, edited and effected by and starred Mike Jittlov, [etc]

: On second thought, the last I heard, the movie had basically been stolen
: from Mike by the distributors. He was never paid, and doesn't get any of
: the royalties he is due. So unless this situation has changed recently,
: I would not in any way support this title by either purchase or rental.
: (I guess you might steal a copy :-)

Since you mention it ... hang out on alt.fan.mike-jittlov for a while,
and (sooner or later) you'll find information on how to get a duplicate
which is not authorized by the illegal distributor, but which does have
Mike's blessing.

Think globally, act locally.
Susan

--
=========== Susan C. Mitchell =========== sus...@xroads.com ===========
"Gadfly is what they call you when you are no longer | Seditious libel

Sally Waters

Aug 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/28/96

One more thing to watch for in Seven, which I found courtesy of the Internet
Movie Database, in the "goofs" category - and then confirmed by rerunning
the tape - watch closely when you see "Sloth" in bed. The man appears to
have 3 arms - you clearly see the one which has sores all over it, which
reaches out, but there's another arm on the same side of the body, lying
still against it!

--Sally

Matt
Martinez (jsej...@alpha.wcoil.com) wrote: : Philip Solis wrote: : >

: > What is shown in SE7EN? - I saw it only once.

: >

: I thought what was being referred to was, in the end, when Somerset(?)

: (the guy Brad Pitt played) was trying to decide whether or not to blow

: John Doe's head off and they flash that image of his wife's face for a

Steven F Kraus

Aug 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/29/96

<posting with a corrected group list to stop the crossposting to the
technical newsgroup>

Steven F Kraus

Aug 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/31/96

In article <5005ln$b...@mercury.IntNet.net>,

Still trying to redirect this out of the technical newsgroup

Pickled

Aug 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/31/96

> >Matt

> >Martinez (jsej...@alpha.wcoil.com) wrote:
> >
> >: I thought what was being referred to was, in the end, when Somerset(?)
> >: (the guy Brad Pitt played) was trying to decide whether or not to blow
> >: John Doe's head off and they flash that image of his wife's face for a
> >: split second. (I really thought that was cool, since it let you know
> >: exactly what he was thinking of at that precise moment.)

(sorry, I don't have Matt's original post...)

A subliminal message is an image or sound that is presented to the viewer without the
person consciously knowing it. Since we are quite obviously seeing Gwyneth Paltrow's
face, it's not a subliminal message.

Alice.

Matt Martinez

Sep 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/1/96

Pickled wrote:
> A subliminal message is an image or sound that is presented to the viewer without the
> person consciously knowing it. Since we are quite obviously seeing Gwyneth Paltrow's
> face, it's not a subliminal message.

Okay, then what is the subliminal message in SE7EN?

Pickled

Sep 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/2/96

Matt Martinez wrote:

> Pickled wrote:
> > A subliminal message is an image or sound that is presented to the viewer without the
> > person consciously knowing it. Since we are quite obviously seeing Gwyneth Paltrow's
> > face, it's not a subliminal message.
> >

> Okay, then what is the subliminal message in SE7EN?

Seeing as SE7EN is one of my favorite movies, I was very curious when this thread
started. I don't know who originally mentioned it, but I, too, am dying to know what
the subliminal message in SE7EN is, and no one has been able to provide an answer.

Please end our suspense and tell us!! ;)

Alice.
***********************
"Wanting people to listen, you can't just tap them on the shoulder anymore. You have to
hit them with a sledgehammer, and then you'll find you've got their strict attention."
-John Doe

Jeremy Bond Shepherd

Sep 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/3/96

UNFORGETTABLE has some very brief images which are NOT subliminal (you
can see them if you know to look for them) but are fascinating just the same.

For example, a grinning skull with sparks flying behind it. Onscreen for
3 video fields (probably about an eight of a second) during a fast-paced
montage.

Kind of eerie in freeze-frame.

The sequence itself is disturbing -- violent, distorted images and sound.
2 technical features of the video helped me deconstruct the scene (alas,
also removing some of its mysterious and eerie quality):
closed-captioning allowed me to make out what precisely is being said (the
dialog is distorted and hard to make out aurally) and the freeze-field
capability of my laserdisc player allowed me to step through the scene and
examine its imagery.

--
"Have you never wanted to look beyond the clouds and the stars? Or to know

Jeremy Bond Shepherd
San Francisco, California
Internet: jb...@netcom.com
CIS: 71161,736