How did Curtis Hansen teach Eminem how to "act"?

John Harkness

Nov 8, 2002, 9:11:26 PM11/8/02
On Sat, 09 Nov 2002 01:17:05 GMT, "K. Smith"
<kas...@uselessspamaccess1.net> wrote:

>I've heard many actors claim that, with regards to acting, "you either
>have it or you don't." When Eminem first stood in front of the cameras,
>Curtis Hansen said that he was beyond bad: too self-conscious, said his
>lines unnaturally, spastic movement, etc.
>
>But after six weeks of rehearsals, all of a sudden Eminem goes from
>'Glitter'-bad to 'Rocky'-great.
>
>I would love to know what Curtis Hansen did to teach Eminem how to
>"act". I find it fascinating that someone like Eminem can be a decent
>actor but an icon like Madonna can't do it to save her life. They both
>seem cut from the same cloth: working-class backgrounds, controversial
>button-pushers, ambitious, mercurial personalities, and all that.

Well, it helps, I suspect, that Eminem is in essence playing someone
like himself -- I doubt that Hansen could have got him to give a
passable Hamlet in six weeks. Perhaps he screened him a couple of
Madonna movies and asked "do you want to be compared to that?"

>Maybe it's the gift of language that makes some people actors and others
>just wannabes? Some feminist writer recently said that the reason
>Madonna can't act is because she has a tin ear for language. I would
>definitely agree with that. And from my own observations, I'd say she's
>also incapable of putting her ego in check and hasn't yet realized that
>the world truly doesn't revolve around her and her needs and therefore,
>she cannot completely let go of her ID to inhabit another character's
>being. She wants to be Madonna all the time.

Well, given the variety of personae -- Marshall Mathers, Slim Shady,
Eminem -- it's not entirely sure who Eminem wants to be.

John Harkness

Ovum

Nov 8, 2002, 9:52:28 PM11/8/02
K. Smith writes:

>And now that I think about it, Eminem's lyrics speak mostly of emotions
>and relationships, whereas Madonna sings mostly about things or shallow
>feelings of "lost love". Hmm.

And this is based on how many Madonna albums you've listened to all the way
through?

"Papa Don't Preach": teen pregnancy

"This Used to Be My Playground": the loss of her mother

"Oh Father": an abusive father

"Spanish Eyes": war

"Die Another Day": alter egos

The woman has sung Sondheim (a beautiful duet with Many Patimkin on the "Dick
Tracy" soundtrack), not to mention the songs from "Evita."

I don't agree with Madonna's expliciteness or constant advocation of sexual
rebellion, but the woman is, indeed, an artist. Unlike these pre-package,
focus-grouped marketing products like Aguillera and Spears, Madonna has the
talent to: (1) write hit songs (2) sing (3) dance (4) perform "image
management," and (5) direct her own career. Doing any one of those things well
takes rare talent.

Lois

Step Two: "Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us
to sanity."

kyle.

Nov 8, 2002, 11:26:29 PM11/8/02
>. I would definitely agree with that. And from my own observations, I'd say
she's
>also incapable of putting her ego in check and hasn't yet realized that the
world truly doesn't revolve around her and her needs and therefore, she cannot
completely let go >of her

Madonna is the biggest star in the world. Most people can't see the biggest
star in the world as anything but that. She's been an icon for 20 years, how
can we believe her as anything other than that?

>I gotta give him credit; love him or hate him, Eminem is a force to >reckon
with. And I'll bet Madonna is just seething with jealously over this punk kid,
who once again shows up the world and comes out >on top. I love it.

I like both of them very much. Eminem just said recently on Madonna. "She's the
only woman in this business I respect. She's been around 20 years and is still
releasing huge records and still has people everywhere talking about her.
That's the career I want."

I truly think their both in the same vein.
kyle.
Porn Star Quote Of The Week
"I looked at this guy and thought, 'If I just do him & not look at him and have
pleasure, then I can do anything."
-Ginger Lynn on Ron Jeremy

kyle.

Nov 8, 2002, 11:28:21 PM11/8/02
>Madonna has the
>talent to: (1) write hit songs (2) sing (3) dance (4) perform "image
>management," and (5) direct her own career. Doing any one of those things
>well >takes rare talent.

Agreed- & she does them all.

Like Eminem said, what other artist 20 years into their career is doing that?
Releasing #1 albums, songs & still breaking records with her albums, songs &
tours. What other artist 20 yearz into their career is still as relevant today
as they were when they started? Talked about daily in newspapers all the time.
Its crazy.

trotsky

Nov 8, 2002, 11:42:25 PM11/8/02

"kyle." wrote:

> >. I would definitely agree with that. And from my own observations, I'd say
> she's
> >also incapable of putting her ego in check and hasn't yet realized that the
> world truly doesn't revolve around her and her needs and therefore, she cannot
> completely let go >of her
>
> Madonna is the biggest star in the world. Most people can't see the biggest
> star in the world as anything but that. She's been an icon for 20 years, how
> can we believe her as anything other than that?
>
> >I gotta give him credit; love him or hate him, Eminem is a force to >reckon
> with. And I'll bet Madonna is just seething with jealously over this punk kid,
> who once again shows up the world and comes out >on top. I love it.
>
> I like both of them very much. Eminem just said recently on Madonna. "She's the
> only woman in this business I respect. She's been around 20 years and is still
> releasing huge records and still has people everywhere talking about her.
> That's the career I want."

Of course, if Eminem doesn't think her movies are absolute shit, then he
really is stupid.

trotsky

Nov 8, 2002, 11:44:39 PM11/8/02

"kyle." wrote:

> >Madonna has the
> >talent to: (1) write hit songs (2) sing (3) dance (4) perform "image
> >management," and (5) direct her own career. Doing any one of those things
> >well >takes rare talent.
>
> Agreed- & she does them all.
>
> Like Eminem said, what other artist 20 years into their career is doing that?
> Releasing #1 albums, songs & still breaking records with her albums, songs &
> tours. What other artist 20 yearz into their career is still as relevant today
> as they were when they started? Talked about daily in newspapers all the time.
> Its crazy.

Not really. Which are the really good Madonna songs worth mentioning?
Does Em think "You will be my lucky star" is a clever lyric? I doubt
it. He was just talking trash.

Mark Steese

Nov 9, 2002, 12:44:08 AM11/9/02
Hwæt! We have heard of the glory of "K. Smith"
<kas...@uselessspamaccess1.net> that wrote news:kasmith-
C6BE74.201...@rcache1.srv.hcvlny.cv.net, on the day of 08 Nov
2002:

[snip]

> Maybe it's the gift of language that makes some people actors and
> others just wannabes? Some feminist writer recently said that the

> reason Madonna can't act is because she has a tin ear for language. I

> would definitely agree with that.

I don't. She can write decent songs; she wrote or co-wrote *all* of the
songs on the "Like A Prayer" album, none of which suggests a 'tin ear.'

> And from my own observations, I'd say she's also incapable of putting
> her ego in check and hasn't yet realized that the world truly doesn't
> revolve around her and her needs and therefore, she cannot completely

> let go of her ID to inhabit another character's being. She wants to be
> Madonna all the time.

She's hardly what I'd call a good actress, but she was fine in
Desperately Seeking Susan, and she did a better job than Beatty in Dick
Tracy. (Everything you said about Madonna in the above paragraph applies
much better to Beatty.) She's certainly no worse than a star like Tom
Cruise, whose principal talent lies in picking scripts. (Though he comes
a cropper on occasion - I'd love to know what made him think he could
convincingly portray a 19th-Century Irish emigrant.)

> On the other hand, Eminem, with his brilliant rhythmic lyricisms, has
> the ear for language. Granted, the role he plays in "8 Mile" isn't much
> of a stretch from his own personality, but still; even Madonna couldn't
> star in a movie about herself. She'd fuck it up somehow.

She *did* star in a movie about herself, Truth or Dare, which got good
reviews. She also got good reviews starring in Evita. Don't let your
dislike of her get in the way of the facts, though.

> And now that I think about it, Eminem's lyrics speak mostly of emotions
> and relationships, whereas Madonna sings mostly about things or shallow
> feelings of "lost love". Hmm.

If you're that ignorant of what Madonna sings about, you shouldn't be
judging her.

> I gotta give him credit; love him or hate him, Eminem is a force to
> reckon with. And I'll bet Madonna is just seething with jealously over
> this punk kid, who once again shows up the world and comes out on top.
> I love it.

Why would she be seething with jealousy? She got good reviews for her
first movie, too. Let's see how well Eminem's doing twenty years from
now.

-Mark
--
It was the saying of Bion, that though the boys throw stones at frogs in
sport, yet the frogs do not die in sport but in earnest. - Plutarch

Tom Cervo

Nov 9, 2002, 1:03:01 AM11/9/02
I didn't see anything by Hanson complaining about Eminem's lack of acting
talent (he calls him "Marshall", BTW). He only noted the fact that he wasn't a
trained actor and needed some help doing something he'd never done before.
Hanson's also quick to credit him for being a quick study.
Judy Garland said how terrified she was when she started to act in a movie,
until Mickey Rooney told her that it was the same thing as singing from the
heart. I don't know why anyone's surprised when a singer turns out to be able
to act as well.
Of course there's always Tony Bennett in "The Oscar" to prove the rule.

MeanMary

Nov 9, 2002, 1:14:35 AM11/9/02
K. Smith <kas...@uselessspamaccess1.net> wrote:
: I've heard many actors claim that, with regards to acting, "you either
: have it or you don't." When Eminem first stood in front of the cameras,
: Curtis Hansen said that he was beyond bad: too self-conscious, said his
: lines unnaturally, spastic movement, etc.

: But after six weeks of rehearsals, all of a sudden Eminem goes from
: 'Glitter'-bad to 'Rocky'-great.

Eminem plays many characters on his CDs. He probably just
had to get used to acting in a different context and once
he did he just "popped."

MeanMary
--
Copyright 2002 Mary Ballard // I do not speak for Appalachian State U.
// ball...@pm.appstate.edu - remove *s* and *a* from spam to email me.

Mark Steese

Nov 9, 2002, 1:54:35 AM11/9/02
Hwæt! We have heard of the glory of MeanMary <ball...@spam.appstate.edu>
that wrote news:aqi94c$p36$1...@lester.appstate.edu, on the day of 08 Nov
2002:

[snip]

>: But after six weeks of rehearsals, all of a sudden Eminem goes from
>: 'Glitter'-bad to 'Rocky'-great.
>
> Eminem plays many characters on his CDs. He probably just
> had to get used to acting in a different context and once
> he did he just "popped."

So you're saying he's basically an acting zit?

Mark Steese

Nov 9, 2002, 1:53:07 AM11/9/02
Hwæt! We have heard of the glory of Preston Crawford
<pres...@REMOVESPAMBLOCKcrawfordsolutions.com> that wrote
news:slrnasp9s0....@serpentor.cobrala, on the day of 08 Nov
2002:

> In article <Xns92C0DD1CA974m...@130.133.1.4>, Mark Steese

> wrote:
>>> let go of her ID to inhabit another character's being. She wants to
>>> be Madonna all the time.
>>
>> She's hardly what I'd call a good actress, but she was fine in
>> Desperately Seeking Susan, and she did a better job than Beatty in
>> Dick Tracy. (Everything you said about Madonna in the above paragraph
>> applies
>

> The previous poster has an excellent point.

The right size and style of hat will conceal that problem.

> Madonna's best acting job (IMHO) was in League of Their Own. A role in
> which she wasn't the center of attention.

How many stars in Hollywood *don't* always want to be the center of
attention? Madonna's hardly the only performer who can't "inhabit
another character's being" (i.e., play a part convincingly). 'Actors'
like John Travolta and Sylvester Stallone have made careers out of
playing a goofball and a lug, respectively (although Travolta, at least,
turned in a decent performance in Pulp Fiction, so he's not completely
hopeless.) Tom Cruise has made a career out of taking 'challenging'
roles and them playing them all in exactly the same way, i.e.,
restraining himself from grinning like an idiot and raising his voice to
show that he's being emotional. Warren Beatty hasn't turned in anything
remotely resembling a performance since "Shampoo."

All of them, though, have had more successful movie careers than Madonna,
which leads me to believe that there must be a better explanation for her
failure than egocentrism.

MeanMary

Nov 9, 2002, 2:29:49 AM11/9/02
Mark Steese <mst...@charter.net> wrote:
: So you're saying he's basically an acting zit?

No. I teach karate and when someone goes through a sudden
surge of development in sparring or forms, we say that
they "popped." I'm really not sure where it comes from,
perhaps from the popping sound of the gi when one learns
to throw a kick correctly.

MeanMary
--
Copyright 2002 Mary Ballard // I do not speak for Appalachian State U.
// ball...@pm.appstate.edu - remove *s* and *a* from spam to email me.
--

Not even on my radar, so won't you please jump off my fovl and
stay off, and follow me as I put these crayons to chaos from

trotsky

Nov 9, 2002, 7:27:07 AM11/9/02

Mark Steese wrote:

> How many stars in Hollywood *don't* always want to be the center of
> attention? Madonna's hardly the only performer who can't "inhabit
> another character's being" (i.e., play a part convincingly). 'Actors'
> like John Travolta and Sylvester Stallone have made careers out of
> playing a goofball and a lug, respectively (although Travolta, at least,
> turned in a decent performance in Pulp Fiction, so he's not completely
> hopeless.) Tom Cruise has made a career out of taking 'challenging'
> roles and them playing them all in exactly the same way, i.e.,
> restraining himself from grinning like an idiot and raising his voice to
> show that he's being emotional. Warren Beatty hasn't turned in anything
> remotely resembling a performance since "Shampoo."

Oh sure, "Heaven Can Wait" was just a hack job.

John Harkness

Nov 9, 2002, 7:53:31 AM11/9/02

Not to mention Reds. And he's very funny in Bulworth.

John Harkness

trotsky

Nov 9, 2002, 10:19:11 AM11/9/02

Agreed on all counts.

Drumm...@aol.com

Nov 9, 2002, 11:12:00 AM11/9/02

I think if you can get in front of an audience and sing, then you
possess a certain type of confidence that enables you to let go and
act. It's two sides of the same coin. Of course, the are other
personality factors that can detract from your acting ability. If you
have an ego and aren't willing to give to the other actors, you won't
look good.

kyle.

Nov 9, 2002, 12:24:05 PM11/9/02
>Of course, if Eminem doesn't think her movies are absolute shit, then he
>really is stupid.

I think he was talking more about her music career

kyle.

Nov 9, 2002, 12:26:24 PM11/9/02
>Not really. Which are the really good Madonna songs worth mentioning?
>Does Em think "You will be my lucky star" is a clever lyric? I doubt
>it. He was just talking trash.

I doubt it. Her current song Die Another Day is a bonafide smash. The 3 songs
off her last album were all huge too.

Sean O'Hara

Nov 9, 2002, 2:23:54 PM11/9/02
Ovum wrote:

> K. Smith writes:
>
> >And now that I think about it, Eminem's lyrics speak mostly of emotions
> >and relationships, whereas Madonna sings mostly about things or shallow
> >feelings of "lost love". Hmm.
>
> And this is based on how many Madonna albums you've listened to all the way
> through?
>
> The woman has sung Sondheim (a beautiful duet with Many Patimkin on the "Dick
> Tracy" soundtrack), not to mention the songs from "Evita."

I don't know about you, but I don't count songs written by other
people as an adequate representation of a singer's artistic message.

Coincidentally, this means I classify Britney, Mariah, and Celine
as completely devoid of meaning.

--
Sean O'Hara
"Thanks to these sterling efforts, they’re bringing significantly

Mike Richey

Nov 9, 2002, 2:32:56 PM11/9/02
"Sean O'Hara" <darkerthenightth...@myrealbox.com> wrote
in message news:3DCD60CA...@myrealbox.com...

> Ovum wrote:
> >
> > K. Smith writes:
> >
> > >And now that I think about it, Eminem's lyrics speak mostly of
emotions
> > >and relationships, whereas Madonna sings mostly about things or
shallow
> > >feelings of "lost love". Hmm.
> >
> > And this is based on how many Madonna albums you've listened to
all the way
> > through?
> >
> > The woman has sung Sondheim (a beautiful duet with Many Patimkin
on the "Dick
> > Tracy" soundtrack), not to mention the songs from "Evita."
> >
> I don't know about you, but I don't count songs written by other
> people as an adequate representation of a singer's artistic message.
>
> Coincidentally, this means I classify Britney, Mariah, and Celine
> as completely devoid of meaning.

As is most classical music, right?

--
Mike Richey

"A shark on whiskey is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer
engineer."
-Dr. Worm

trotsky

Nov 9, 2002, 2:47:22 PM11/9/02

"kyle." wrote:

> >Not really. Which are the really good Madonna songs worth mentioning?
> >Does Em think "You will be my lucky star" is a clever lyric? I doubt
> >it. He was just talking trash.
> >

> I doubt it. Her current song Die Another Day is a bonafide smash. The 3 songs
> off her last album were all huge too.

So you think Em measures quality by how well the record sells? Is he a
big Britney Spears fan, then?

Ovum

Nov 9, 2002, 3:11:34 PM11/9/02
Actually, what would have been interesting is for Madonna to have played the
role of Eminem's mother in "8 MILE." Those two together on the screen would be
riveting!

Kim Basinger did an OK job. She's gorgeous, of course, but she had some weird
southern accent in the role. Did Curtis Hanson ask her to do that? If so, why
would somebody living in Michigan have a southern accent -- and never have it
explained?

John Harkness

Nov 9, 2002, 4:34:12 PM11/9/02
On 09 Nov 2002 20:11:34 GMT, ov...@aol.com (Ovum) wrote:

>Actually, what would have been interesting is for Madonna to have played the
>role of Eminem's mother in "8 MILE." Those two together on the screen would be
>riveting!
>
>Kim Basinger did an OK job. She's gorgeous, of course, but she had some weird
>southern accent in the role. Did Curtis Hanson ask her to do that? If so, why
>would somebody living in Michigan have a southern accent -- and never have it
>explained?
>
>Lois

Of course, Basinger is Southern -- she's from Georgia. And there's a
very large Southern component in Detroit's working class -- there was
a sizeable migration, black and white, from the South to work in
Detroit's auto plants that began in the 1940s and didn't really stop
until the 60s.

Anyway, it's America, people can live where they want, wherever they
were born.

John Harkness

Mark Steese

Nov 9, 2002, 5:39:02 PM11/9/02
Hwæt! We have heard of the glory of j...@attcanada.ca (John Harkness) that
wrote news:3dcd052f...@nntp.attcanada.ca, on the day of 09 Nov
2002:

>>> Warren Beatty hasn't turned in anything remotely resembling a
>>> performance since "Shampoo."
>>

>>Oh sure, "Heaven Can Wait" was just a hack job.

I didn't see this post when it first appeared, but I am surprised that
anyone would choose "Heaven Can Wait" as an example of Beatty's acting
skill, given that he doesn't even do as well as Robert Montgomery in the
original. When you can't outact Robert Montgomery, you're just not
trying.

> Not to mention Reds.

Please don't. The only thing that saved him from being the worst actor
in that movie was Diane Keaton's staggeringly off-key performance as
Louise Bryant. Even though the character of Eugene O'Neill was as badly
misconceived as Reed and Bryant, Nicholson still managed to outact Beatty
just because he knows how to invent a character.

> And he's very funny in Bulworth.

If you consider that funny, feel free. In my opinion, he was terrible;
there was no point at which he was believable as a politician or a
suicide, and if he was even trying to act like a man who hadn't slept for
several days he gave no evidence of it. It seems he would rather have
all the other characters constantly remind us of how exhausted Bulworth
is rather than try to play an exhausted man. Some critics bought it; I
say show, don't tell.

-Mark Steese

kyle.

Nov 9, 2002, 5:39:00 PM11/9/02
>I don't know about you, but I don't count songs written by other
>people as an adequate representation of a singer's artistic message.

Madonna writes her own songs.

in TODD we trust

Nov 10, 2002, 12:10:19 AM11/10/02
On 09 Nov 2002 22:39:00 GMT, ci...@aol.com (kyle.) wrote:

>>I don't know about you, but I don't count songs written by other
>>people as an adequate representation of a singer's artistic message.
>>

>Madonna writes her own songs.

She shouldn't.

Cheers,

Todd "But then quality isn't her priority" McNeeley
.
email: mcneeley at enteract dot com

Alan said...

Nov 10, 2002, 7:52:08 AM11/10/02
>Of course, Basinger is Southern -- she's from Georgia. And there's a
>very large Southern component in Detroit's working class -- there was
>a sizeable migration, black and white, from the South to work in
>Detroit's auto plants that began in the 1940s and didn't really stop
>until the 60s.

Indeed. Being from Michagan and having worked in factories where the
complement consisted of far more than just a few Southern accenters, I always
refer to this state as "New Texas"

... said Alan S Emerson.

Tom Cervo

Nov 10, 2002, 9:49:49 AM11/10/02
>Indeed. Being from Michagan and having worked in factories where the
>complement consisted of far more than just a few Southern accenters, I always
>refer to this state as "New Texas"

Being from Michigan myself, anyplace along I-75 south of Saginaw Bay has its
own "Little Missouri" or "Little Arkansas". (North of that line the hillbillies
are completely native.) There happens to be a classic American novel, "The
Dollmaker" about that very migration--the oldest son is an early version of
"Rabbit"--the dislocation never resolved itself in some families.

kyle.

Nov 10, 2002, 7:56:28 PM11/10/02
>She shouldn't.
>
>Cheers,

Why? Youre in the minority. She's had more hits than everyone but Elvis, and
only has 3 more to beat him.

& she's the top selling female artist in the world, and behind only Elvis & The
Beatles. So apparently, she's doing something right.

dawn...@pacifier.com

Nov 10, 2002, 8:01:51 PM11/10/02
In article <20021110195628...@mb-fb.aol.com>, ci...@aol.com says...

>>She shouldn't.
>>
>>Cheers,
>
>Why? Youre in the minority. She's had more hits than everyone but Elvis, and
>only has 3 more to beat him.
>
>&amp; she's the top selling female artist in the world, and behind only Elvis
>&amp; The

>Beatles. So apparently, she's doing something right.

Millions of people eat Hamburger Helper, too. Make of that what you will.

Dawn

Patra

Nov 10, 2002, 9:44:44 PM11/10/02

<Drumm...@aol.com> wrote in message

> I think if you can get in front of an audience and sing, then you
> possess a certain type of confidence that enables you to let go and
> act.

Olivia Newton -John was horrible in all her movies. (Grease doesn't count).
Mariah Carey was awful.
Neil Diamond was awful.
Barbra Streisand. Blech! (Then again I can't stand her).

Whitney Houston was pretty good.
Dolly Parton was ok.

So, I guess it depends.

John Harkness

Nov 10, 2002, 9:48:47 PM11/10/02
On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 02:44:44 GMT, "Patra" <pat...@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

><Drumm...@aol.com> wrote in message
>> I think if you can get in front of an audience and sing, then you
>> possess a certain type of confidence that enables you to let go and
>> act.
>
>Olivia Newton -John was horrible in all her movies. (Grease doesn't count).

Oh yes it does.

John Harkness

trotsky

Nov 10, 2002, 10:05:52 PM11/10/02

Will Smith has managed to make a shitload of cash in front of a camera.

Mark Steese

Nov 11, 2002, 2:32:33 AM11/11/02
Hwæt! We have heard of the glory of j...@attcanada.ca (John Harkness) that
wrote news:3dcf1a80...@nntp.attcanada.ca, on the day of 10 Nov
2002:

>>> I think if you can get in front of an audience and sing, then you
>>> possess a certain type of confidence that enables you to let go and
>>> act.
>>

>>Olivia Newton-John was horrible in all her movies. (Grease doesn't

>>count).
>
> Oh yes it does.

Yep, she was horrible in it.

Stockard Channing, on the other hand - she was *hot*.

Mark Steese

Nov 11, 2002, 2:44:41 AM11/11/02
Hwæt! We have heard of the glory of "Patra" <pat...@worldnet.att.net>
that wrote news:wQEz9.7209$hK4.6...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,

on the day of 10 Nov 2002:

>> I think if you can get in front of an audience and sing, then you

>> possess a certain type of confidence that enables you to let go and
>> act.
>
> Olivia Newton -John was horrible in all her movies. (Grease doesn't
> count). Mariah Carey was awful.
> Neil Diamond was awful.

Yeah, but I'll always cherish the memory of him in blackface.

> Barbra Streisand. Blech! (Then again I can't stand her).

She hasn't done anything tolerable lately, but she was surprisingly good
in "All Night Long," where she actually played a supporting role to Gene
Hackman's lead. Maybe that was actually the Earth-2 Barbra Streisand.

> Whitney Houston was pretty good.

In what? She was horrible in "The Bodyguard."

> Dolly Parton was ok.
>
> So, I guess it depends.

I think it's unfair of you to focus primarily on women and avoid
mentioning such cinematic triumphs as Sting's performance in "The Bride"
and Kris Kristofferson's in "Millennium." And of course, Vanilla Ice in
"Cool as Ice"!

(Now that "8 Mile" is the Number 1 movie in the land, how long will it
take for the video of Eminem's movie debut, "Da Hip Hop Witch," to be
reissued with his picture prominently displayed on the packaging?)

-Mark

Kenneth Crudup

Nov 11, 2002, 2:04:07 PM11/11/02
In article <3dcc6e1e...@nntp.attcanada.ca>,
j...@attcanada.ca (John Harkness) says:

>Well, given the variety of personae -- Marshall Mathers, Slim Shady,
>Eminem -- it's not entirely sure who Eminem wants to be.

?!

Listen to much hip-hop there, John?

-Kenny

--
Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Los Angeles, CA
Home: 3801 E. Pacific Coast Hwy #9, Long Beach, CA 90804-2014 (562) 961-7300

John Harkness

Nov 11, 2002, 2:32:57 PM11/11/02
On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 19:04:07 -0000, ke...@panix.com (Kenneth Crudup)
wrote:

>In article <3dcc6e1e...@nntp.attcanada.ca>,
>j...@attcanada.ca (John Harkness) says:
>
>>Well, given the variety of personae -- Marshall Mathers, Slim Shady,
>>Eminem -- it's not entirely sure who Eminem wants to be.
>
>?!
>
>Listen to much hip-hop there, John?
>
> -Kenny

Not much, but I'm familiar with Mr. Mathers oeuvre.

John Harkness

Cherub

Nov 11, 2002, 2:49:47 PM11/11/02
> kyle.
> Porn Star Quote Of The Week
> "I looked at this guy and thought, 'If I just do him & not look at him and have
> pleasure, then I can do anything."
> -Ginger Lynn on Ron Jeremy

Hey Kyle -
This "Porn Star Quote of the Week" line leads one (OK, me) to hope for
a new quote every week, and yet you're still posting last week's.

I'm disappointed.

:( Cherub

Kenneth Crudup

Nov 11, 2002, 3:29:59 PM11/11/02
In article <3dd005d2....@nntp.attcanada.ca>,
j...@attcanada.ca (John Harkness) says:

>Not much, but I'm familiar with Mr. Mathers oeuvre.

... then it seems you'd know that multiple stage names aren't multiple
personalities, as you'd implied.

John Harkness

Nov 11, 2002, 3:53:39 PM11/11/02
On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 20:29:59 -0000, ke...@panix.com (Kenneth Crudup)
wrote:

>In article <3dd005d2....@nntp.attcanada.ca>,

>j...@attcanada.ca (John Harkness) says:
>
>>Not much, but I'm familiar with Mr. Mathers oeuvre.
>
>... then it seems you'd know that multiple stage names aren't multiple
>personalities, as you'd implied.
>
> -Kenny

I did no such thing. I was talking about multiple personae, which is a
different thing entirely.

John Harkness

Message has been deleted

Kenneth Crudup

Nov 12, 2002, 1:14:42 PM11/12/02
In article <3dd018b4....@nntp.attcanada.ca>,
John Harkness <j...@attcanada.ca> wrote:

>I was talking about multiple personae, which is a
>different thing entirely.

Nah, no it isn't. A rapper doesn't change his style even if he's "Jigga"
one minute, "Jay-Z" the next, and "Hova" the third. Having multiple stage
names is just part of the hip-hop "thang".

Cherub

Nov 12, 2002, 4:25:50 PM11/12/02
> Sorry. I'll change it :)

> kyle.
> Porn Star Quote Of The Week
> "I'm a big vodka girl... I woke up..parked in a street that I'd never seen
> before. It freaked me out because I didn't know..how I'd even got there.So I
> gave up driving rather than give up drinking."
> -- Susan Ward

:-O !! this sounds a heck of a lot like my boss's wife.

Shocked Cherub

Patra

Nov 12, 2002, 8:05:55 PM11/12/02

"Mark Steese" <mst...@charter.net> wrote in message

> > Whitney Houston was pretty good.
>
> In what? She was horrible in "The Bodyguard."

Oh, that movie. The title escapes me. The one with Angela Basset.

> I think it's unfair of you to focus primarily on women

David Bowie sucks. (Tries too hard). Blech!
Sting for the same reason. (I'm a singer trying so hard to be a thespian.
See me smolder...! Aren't I sexy?) Nope.

Patra

Nov 12, 2002, 8:07:34 PM11/12/02

"John Harkness" <j...@attcanada.ca> wrote in message

> >Olivia Newton -John was horrible in all her movies. (Grease doesn't
count).

> Oh yes it does.

Beginners luck. Like Madonna in "Desperately Seeking Susan" (but Arquette
did all the work).

John Harkness

Nov 12, 2002, 7:48:19 PM11/12/02
On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 01:07:34 GMT, "Patra" <pat...@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

Sorry, you misread my post. I was arguing that she was horrible in
Grease, too.

John Harkness

in TODD we trust

Nov 13, 2002, 3:17:03 AM11/13/02
On Tue, 12 Nov 2002 18:14:42 -0000, ke...@panix.com (Kenneth Crudup)
wrote:

>In article <3dd018b4....@nntp.attcanada.ca>,

>John Harkness <j...@attcanada.ca> wrote:
>
>>I was talking about multiple personae, which is a
>>different thing entirely.
>
>Nah, no it isn't. A rapper doesn't change his style even if he's "Jigga"
>one minute, "Jay-Z" the next, and "Hova" the third. Having multiple stage
>names is just part of the hip-hop "thang".

So is "dissing" the proper elements of the English language, and that
isn't a good thing either.

Cheers,

Todd "I'd pay anything to meet a rapper named James
Richards, or something like that" McNeeley

in TODD we trust

Nov 13, 2002, 3:26:10 AM11/13/02
On 09 Nov 2002 02:52:28 GMT, ov...@aol.com (Ovum) wrote:

>K. Smith writes:
>
>>And now that I think about it, Eminem's lyrics speak mostly of emotions
>>and relationships, whereas Madonna sings mostly about things or shallow
>>feelings of "lost love". Hmm.
>
>And this is based on how many Madonna albums you've listened to all the way
>through?
>
>"Papa Don't Preach": teen pregnancy
>
>"This Used to Be My Playground": the loss of her mother
>
>"Oh Father": an abusive father

These songs are hackneyed and amateurish. Which helps them because so
is Madonnas fan base.

>"Spanish Eyes": war

I wish this song had been engaging enough for me to remember it.

>"Die Another Day": alter egos

Few songs have elevated themselves to this high a level on the
annoying disco crap scale. Duran Duran had a better Bond track.

>The woman has sung Sondheim (a beautiful duet with Many Patimkin on the "Dick
>Tracy" soundtrack), not to mention the songs from "Evita."
>
>I don't agree with Madonna's expliciteness or constant advocation of sexual
>rebellion, but the woman is, indeed, an artist. Unlike these pre-package,
>focus-grouped marketing products like Aguillera and Spears, Madonna has the
>talent to: (1) write hit songs (2) sing (3) dance (4) perform "image
>management," and (5) direct her own career. Doing any one of those things well
>takes rare talent.

Madonna's skills in any of these areas is anywhere from mediocre to
slightly less than not so mediocre, and this has always been true. You
can rag on Aguillera and Spears (and rightfully so) for being packaged
corporate puppets, but the only difference between them and Madonna is
that Madonna actually managed the focus groups herself. I suppose that
gives her more credibility, but if she's an artist, then so is the
Vice President of Marketing at any media company.

Cheers,

Todd "And sexual rebellion is her only good quality, frankly" McNeeley

in TODD we trust

Nov 13, 2002, 3:29:18 AM11/13/02
On 09 Nov 2002 04:28:21 GMT, ci...@aol.com (kyle.) wrote:

>>Madonna has the
>>talent to: (1) write hit songs (2) sing (3) dance (4) perform "image
>>management," and (5) direct her own career. Doing any one of those things
>>well >takes rare talent.
>

>Agreed- & she does them all.
>
>Like Eminem said, what other artist 20 years into their career is doing that?
>Releasing #1 albums, songs & still breaking records with her albums, songs &
>tours. What other artist 20 yearz into their career is still as relevant today
>as they were when they started? Talked about daily in newspapers all the time.
>Its crazy.

Do you confuse "relevant" with "popular among teenz"?

Cheerz,

Todd "'I don't think it meanz what you think it meanz" McNeeley

in TODD we trust

Nov 13, 2002, 3:31:43 AM11/13/02
On 09 Nov 2002 17:26:24 GMT, ci...@aol.com (kyle.) wrote:

>>Not really. Which are the really good Madonna songs worth mentioning?
>>Does Em think "You will be my lucky star" is a clever lyric? I doubt
>>it. He was just talking trash.
>>

>I doubt it. Her current song Die Another Day is a bonafide smash.

I agree. It makes me want to smash things.

>The 3 songs off her last album were all huge too.

Fortunately, they were still small enough to download over a dial-up
modem connection.

Cheers,

Todd "And I thought her India fetish was annoying" McNeeley

in TODD we trust

Nov 13, 2002, 3:36:32 AM11/13/02
On 12 Nov 2002 06:39:50 GMT, ci...@aol.com (kyle.) wrote:

>>Hey Kyle -
>>This "Porn Star Quote of the Week" line leads one (OK, me) to hope for
>>a new quote every week, and yet you're still posting last week's.
>>
>>I'm disappointed.
>>

>Sorry. I'll change it :)

>kyle.
>Porn Star Quote Of The Week

>"I'm a big vodka girl... I woke up..parked in a street that I'd never seen
>before. It freaked me out because I didn't know..how I'd even got there.So I
>gave up driving rather than give up drinking."
>-- Susan Ward

Okay dude... I'm giving you a lot of heat because you seem to confuse
quantity and quality when it comes to music, and because you seem to
harbor some serious anger toward your high school English teacher.

But if you'll actually change the porn star quote regularly, I'll try
to cut you some slack.

Cheers,

Todd "Try, that is. I'm a loose cannon,
so I can't promise anything" McNeeley

in TODD we trust

Nov 13, 2002, 3:37:47 AM11/13/02
On Sat, 09 Nov 2002 14:23:54 -0500, Sean O'Hara
<darkerthenightth...@myrealbox.com> wrote:

>Ovum wrote:
>>
>> K. Smith writes:
>>
>> >And now that I think about it, Eminem's lyrics speak mostly of emotions
>> >and relationships, whereas Madonna sings mostly about things or shallow
>> >feelings of "lost love". Hmm.
>>
>> And this is based on how many Madonna albums you've listened to all the way
>> through?
>>

>> The woman has sung Sondheim (a beautiful duet with Many Patimkin on the "Dick
>> Tracy" soundtrack), not to mention the songs from "Evita."
>>

>I don't know about you, but I don't count songs written by other
>people as an adequate representation of a singer's artistic message.
>
>Coincidentally, this means I classify Britney, Mariah, and Celine
>as completely devoid of meaning.

Toss Whitney Houston on that heap.

Cheers,

Todd "then the sailors realized the sirens were sea cows" McNeeley

in TODD we trust

Nov 13, 2002, 3:44:37 AM11/13/02
On 11 Nov 2002 00:56:28 GMT, ci...@aol.com (kyle.) wrote:

>>She shouldn't.
>>
>>Cheers,
>
>Why? Youre in the minority. She's had more hits than everyone but Elvis, and
>only has 3 more to beat him.
>
>& she's the top selling female artist in the world, and behind only Elvis & The
>Beatles. So apparently, she's doing something right.

If selling records is the only yardstick you measure by. The Chicago
Bears had a big hit record in the 80s. Are they a good band?

First, there is only one Elvis, and when you refer to him, you should
use his full name so people don't think you mean that Presley fellow
that did all that crooning in the 60's.

Second, the Beatles were a fluke. Talent doesn't usually sell as well
as mediocrity does, but in this case, an exception was made.

She shouldn't because she isn't very good at it. The fact the
Philistine masses buy this crap doesn't change the fact that she isn't
very good at it.

Cheers,

Todd "I'm just here to do the Superbowl Shuffle" McNeeley

in TODD we trust

Nov 13, 2002, 3:46:31 AM11/13/02

Obviously that Betty Crocker is doing something right...

Cheers,

Todd "She's kicking Little Debbie's fat ass" McNeeley

in TODD we trust

Nov 13, 2002, 4:17:29 AM11/13/02
On 09 Nov 2002 04:26:29 GMT, ci...@aol.com (kyle.) wrote:

>I like both of them very much. Eminem just said recently on Madonna. "She's the
>only woman in this business I respect. She's been around 20 years and is still
>releasing huge records and still has people everywhere talking about her.
>That's the career I want."

I'm sure he was, as usual, talking out his ass, but if he meant it
then he's a jackass.

This business is loaded to the gills with extremely talented female
artists in all genres (except country; because no good music comes
from that genre). So is he saying that he's such a pathetic little
punk that he can't give proper respect (I think the kids are calling
that "props" for reasons that make Webster's corpse shudder) to women
from Lena Horne and Koko Taylor all the way to Fiona Apple and PJ
Harvey?

What possible beef can he have with Suzanne Vega, L7, Kate Bush, Joan
Jett, The Lunachicks, Tori Amos, Poe, The Plasmatics, eXene Cervenka,
Kim Deal, Belly, Annie DiFranco, Daisy Chainsaw, Janis Joplin,
Concrete Blonde, The B-52s, Sheryl Crow, Portishead, The Breeders,
Veruca Salt, Natalie Merchant, Sleater-Kinney, K's Choice, Garbage,
Hole, Enya, The Cranberries, The Sundays, Melissa Etheridge, 4 Non
Blondes, Indigo Girls, Bonnie Riat, Lush, Bjork, The Go Gos,
Bongwater, The Bangles, Cyndi Lauper, Debbie Harry, The Waitresses,
7 Year Bitch, Letters to Cleo, Juliana Hatfield, Elastica, Lisa Loeb,
Paula Cole, Luscious Jackson, Lydia Lunch, Siouxie and the Banshees,
Patti Smith, Sonic Youth, Throwing Muses, and Nico of The Velvet
Underground.

And I'm not even stepping outside the safe confines of my favorite
genres.

If Slim Shady actually said "the only woman" then his ass should be
resoundingly kicked. You'd think that an acne scarred white trash punk
from Detroit, who caught a break, might be just a tad more grateful.

Cheers,

Todd "I can't believe I listed The Waitresses :-) " McNeeley

in TODD we trust

Nov 13, 2002, 4:23:03 AM11/13/02
wrote:

><Drumm...@aol.com> wrote in message
>> I think if you can get in front of an audience and sing, then you
>> possess a certain type of confidence that enables you to let go and
>> act.
>
>Olivia Newton -John was horrible in all her movies.
>(Grease doesn't count).

Yes it does...

Grease must be the worst movies in the "Universally Loved" category.

Besides, she sucked on all her records too.

>Mariah Carey was awful.

It goes without saying.

>Neil Diamond was awful.

Well, duh...

>Barbra Streisand. Blech! (Then again I can't stand her).

I can't either, but actually I like some of her earlier films.

>Whitney Houston was pretty good.

Well directed.

>Dolly Parton was ok.

Surprisingly good actually. I mean, it isn't like she sank her teeth
into challenging parts or anything, but given that she and her
directors must have had a clear understanding of her limitations, she
was quite effective on screen.

Cheers,

Todd "I can't believe I saw 9 to 5 in the theater" McNeeley

in TODD we trust

Nov 13, 2002, 4:26:48 AM11/13/02

Not only that, but despite ID4 and Bad Boys, he's very good. It was
obvious that he is a gifted actor just from Six Degrees of Separation.

Cheers,

Todd "The son of Dom DeLuise" McNeeley

in TODD we trust

Nov 13, 2002, 4:32:45 AM11/13/02
On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 01:05:55 GMT, "Patra" <pat...@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

>"Mark Steese" <mst...@charter.net> wrote in message
>> > Whitney Houston was pretty good.
>>
>> In what? She was horrible in "The Bodyguard."

She wasn't that bad.

>Oh, that movie. The title escapes me. The one with Angela Basset.

I don't know what Basset is in with Houston, but I want to see Angela
Basset in My Bed.

No, that's no a movie. I mean MY BED... Damn, she's fine...

>> I think it's unfair of you to focus primarily on women
>
>David Bowie sucks. (Tries too hard). Blech!

Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence?
The Hunger?
The Linguini.. (ahem... hold on...)
The Hunger?

Okay... Bowie freaking rocks. Bowie rocks six ways to Sunday.

Cheers,

Todd "Though I never liked The Man Who Fell To Earth" McNeeley

trotsky

Nov 13, 2002, 7:44:27 AM11/13/02

in TODD we trust wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 02:44:44 GMT, "Patra" <pat...@worldnet.att.net>
> wrote:
>

>><Drumm...@aol.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I think if you can get in front of an audience and sing, then you
>>>possess a certain type of confidence that enables you to let go and
>>>act.
>>
>>Olivia Newton -John was horrible in all her movies.
>>(Grease doesn't count).
>

> Yes it does...
>
> Grease must be the worst movies in the "Universally Loved" category.

How many movies is it?

Ruth

Nov 13, 2002, 10:08:22 AM11/13/02
In article <3dd218a7$0$1458$272e...@news.execpc.com>,

I don't think you mentioned Chrissie Hynde up there, townie....you'll
have to do better than that.

Ruth, who is listening to Nico and The Velvet Underground even as we
speak!
--

"I hate spunk."- Lou Grant

kyle.

Nov 13, 2002, 11:07:07 AM11/13/02
>ut the only difference between them and Madonna is >that Madonna actually
>managed the focus groups herself.

Well & Madonna writes all of her own stuff, producers her own stuff, does her
own videos, tours, etc.

Tom Zielinski

Nov 13, 2002, 6:08:19 PM11/13/02

"in TODD we trust" <nu...@myserver.com> wrote in message

> On 09 Nov 2002 04:26:29 GMT, ci...@aol.com (kyle.) wrote:
>
> What possible beef can he have with Suzanne Vega, L7, Kate Bush, Joan
> Jett, The Lunachicks, Tori Amos, Poe, The Plasmatics, eXene Cervenka,
> Kim Deal, Belly, Annie DiFranco, Daisy Chainsaw, Janis Joplin,
> Concrete Blonde, The B-52s, Sheryl Crow, Portishead, The Breeders,
> Veruca Salt, Natalie Merchant, Sleater-Kinney, K's Choice, Garbage,
> Hole, Enya, The Cranberries, The Sundays, Melissa Etheridge, 4 Non
> Blondes, Indigo Girls, Bonnie Riat, Lush, Bjork, The Go Gos,
> Bongwater, The Bangles, Cyndi Lauper, Debbie Harry, The Waitresses,
> 7 Year Bitch, Letters to Cleo, Juliana Hatfield, Elastica, Lisa Loeb,
> Paula Cole, Luscious Jackson, Lydia Lunch, Siouxie and the Banshees,
> Patti Smith, Sonic Youth, Throwing Muses, and Nico of The Velvet
> Underground.

What, no mention of the Corrs?

Tom Zielinski (I'll resist the temptation to insert "Those sisters are hot")

Patra

Nov 13, 2002, 7:02:20 PM11/13/02

> What possible beef can he have with Suzanne Vega, L7, Kate Bush, Joan
> Jett, The Lunachicks, Tori Amos, Poe, The Plasmatics, eXene Cervenka,
> Kim Deal, Belly, Annie DiFranco, Daisy Chainsaw, Janis Joplin,
> Concrete Blonde, The B-52s, Sheryl Crow, Portishead, The Breeders,
> Veruca Salt, Natalie Merchant, Sleater-Kinney, K's Choice, Garbage,
> Hole, Enya, The Cranberries, The Sundays, Melissa Etheridge, 4 Non
> Blondes, Indigo Girls, Bonnie Riat, Lush, Bjork, The Go Gos,
> Bongwater, The Bangles, Cyndi Lauper, Debbie Harry, The Waitresses,
> 7 Year Bitch, Letters to Cleo, Juliana Hatfield, Elastica, Lisa Loeb,
> Paula Cole, Luscious Jackson, Lydia Lunch, Siouxie and the Banshees,
> Patti Smith, Sonic Youth, Throwing Muses, and Nico of The Velvet
> Underground.

Can't stand Tori Amos. A Kate Bush wanna be even if she does deny it to the
hilt.
And Veruca Salt. Eck!

Patra

Nov 13, 2002, 7:04:42 PM11/13/02

"in TODD we trust" <nu...@myserver.com> wrote in message
That reminds me.
Jon Bon Jovi is supposedly a very good actor as well. Though I've never
seen him in anything so I can't say.

Patra

Nov 13, 2002, 7:06:59 PM11/13/02

> >David Bowie sucks. (Tries too hard). Blech!
>
> Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence?
> The Hunger?
> The Linguini.. (ahem... hold on...)
> The Hunger?
>
> Okay... Bowie freaking rocks. Bowie rocks six ways to Sunday.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Todd "Though I never liked The Man Who Fell To Earth" McNeeley
> .
That's the only movie where he was half way decent.
Hunger? Nope.
Merry Christmas whatever? Nope.
I just can't take him as being anything other than Bowie acting.
Ok. Maybe the Elephant Man when he was on B'way.

kyle.

Nov 13, 2002, 8:56:12 PM11/13/02
>In contrast, here's Madonna's idea of being deep and thoughtful at the
>height of her popularity:

You really can't call that the height of her popularity since she's still
selling huge amounts of albums, just as many as this album.

Secondly, I'd hardly call this a lyrically great Madonna tune. Anyone can pick
aNY song & use it for them or against another.

Here's a better example:

It's funny that way, you can get used
To the tears and the pain
What a child will believe:
You never loved me

Chorus:
You can't hurt me now
I got away from you, I never thought I would
You can't make me cry, you once had the power
I never felt so good
about myself

Seems like yesterday
I lay down next to your boots and I prayed
For your anger to end
Oh Father I have sinned

Oh Father you never wanted to live that way
You never wanted to hurt me
Why am I running away

Maybe someday
When I look back I'll be able to say
You didn't mean to be cruel
Somebody hurt you too

Mark Steese

Nov 13, 2002, 9:10:40 PM11/13/02
Hwæt! We have heard of the glory of in TODD we trust <nu...@myserver.com>
that wrote news:3dd21c3b$0$1458$272e...@news.execpc.com, on the day of
13 Nov 2002:

>>> In what? She was horrible in "The Bodyguard."
>
> She wasn't that bad.

If you're willing to overlook the fact that instead of being sympathetic
she was alternately boring and hateful *and* the fact that instead of
being sexy she was listless and creepy *and* the fact that there wasn't
an instant where she convincingly portrayed concern for or attraction to
Kevin Costner's character, then no, she wasn't that bad.

I suppose I should cut her some slack just because she was cast opposite
Kevin 'Block o' Cement' Costner. What the hell happened to him, anyway?
How did he manage to go from Young Harrison Ford to Boring, Humorless Old
Harrison Ford without stopping at Good Harrison Ford?

>>Oh, that movie. The title escapes me. The one with Angela Basset.
>
> I don't know what Basset is in with Houston,

"Waiting to Exhale," an Oprah Book Club movie that predates Oprah's Book
Club.

> but I want to see Angela Basset in My Bed.

By the way, it's "Bassett." Not that I want to hound you over that.

> No, that's no a movie. I mean MY BED... Damn, she's fine...

I gather James Spader feels the same way you do. At least, that's the
best explanation I can think of for why he starred in "Supernova." I
picture him on the phone with his agent: "This script is worse than
'Stargate'! No *way* am I....what?...nude scenes with Angela
Bassett?...you're *sure* she's agreed to that?...what time do they want
me on the set?"

-Mark Steese
--
It was the saying of Bion, that though the boys throw stones at frogs in
sport, yet the frogs do not die in sport but in earnest. - Plutarch

Mark Steese

Nov 13, 2002, 9:49:59 PM11/13/02
Hwæt! We have heard of the glory of "K. Smith"
<kas...@uselessspamaccess1.net> that wrote news:kasmith-
99776D.201...@rcache1.srv.hcvlny.cv.net, on the day of 13 Nov
2002:

> Ovum asked:

> "And this is based on how many Madonna albums you've listened to all
> the way through?"
>

> Here's a good example of Eminem's ear for language and knowing how
> people really talk. The rhyming and timing is terrific:

[examples snipped]

Actually, neither the Eminem nor the Madonna lyrics you cited come across
very well in cold print, but then maybe you know people who actually use
the phrase "*Batman Noise*" in conversation. If Madonna were a rapper,
there might be a plausible reason to contrast her lyrics with Eminem's;
as it is, all you've demonstrated is rap lyrics are less dependent on
traditional song structures than Madonna's lyrics are. You could do that
with *any* pop singer who isn't a rapper:

"Hey, Jude, don't make it bad
Take a sad song and make it better
Remember to let her into your heart
Then you can start to make it better."

Wow, what writing skills! I especially like the way both the second and
fourth lines end with exactly the same words.

And how about this magnificent eloquence:

"The telephone is ringing
I say, 'Hi, it's me. Who is it there on the line?'
A voice says, 'Hi, hello, how are you
Well, I guess I'm doin' fine'
He says, 'It's three a.m., there's too much noise
Don't you people ever wanna go to bed?
Just 'cause you feel so good, do you have
To drive me out of my head?'

I said, Hey! You! Get off of my cloud
Hey! You! Get off of my cloud
Hey! You! Get off of my cloud
Don't hang around 'cause two's a crowd
On my cloud baby"

Come on! Who talks like that? Nobody. Because singing ain't talking,
genius.

John Harkness

Nov 13, 2002, 10:30:04 PM11/13/02
On 14 Nov 2002 02:10:40 GMT, mst...@charter.net (Mark Steese) wrote:

>Hwæt! We have heard of the glory of in TODD we trust <nu...@myserver.com>
>that wrote news:3dd21c3b$0$1458$272e...@news.execpc.com, on the day of
>13 Nov 2002:
>

>By the way, it's "Bassett." Not that I want to hound you over that.
>
>> No, that's no a movie. I mean MY BED... Damn, she's fine...
>
>I gather James Spader feels the same way you do. At least, that's the
>best explanation I can think of for why he starred in "Supernova." I
>picture him on the phone with his agent: "This script is worse than
>'Stargate'! No *way* am I....what?...nude scenes with Angela
>Bassett?...you're *sure* she's agreed to that?...what time do they want
>me on the set?"
>
>-Mark Steese

Well, we really don't know what the original script for Supernova
looked like, after going through how many re-writes, added scenes and
re-shoots, and director changes.

I would really like to see Walter Hill's cut of the film.

John Harkness

for TODD and country

Nov 14, 2002, 2:09:56 AM11/14/02
On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 15:08:22 GMT, Ruth <o...@somewhere.com> wrote:
>> What possible beef can he have with Suzanne Vega, L7, Kate Bush, Joan
>> Jett, The Lunachicks, Tori Amos, Poe, The Plasmatics, eXene Cervenka,
>> Kim Deal, Belly, Annie DiFranco, Daisy Chainsaw, Janis Joplin,
>> Concrete Blonde, The B-52s, Sheryl Crow, Portishead, The Breeders,
>> Veruca Salt, Natalie Merchant, Sleater-Kinney, K's Choice, Garbage,
>> Hole, Enya, The Cranberries, The Sundays, Melissa Etheridge, 4 Non
>> Blondes, Indigo Girls, Bonnie Riat, Lush, Bjork, The Go Gos,
>> Bongwater, The Bangles, Cyndi Lauper, Debbie Harry, The Waitresses,
>> 7 Year Bitch, Letters to Cleo, Juliana Hatfield, Elastica, Lisa Loeb,
>> Paula Cole, Luscious Jackson, Lydia Lunch, Siouxie and the Banshees,
>> Patti Smith, Sonic Youth, Throwing Muses, and Nico of The Velvet
>> Underground.
>>
>> And I'm not even stepping outside the safe confines of my favorite
>> genres.
>
>I don't think you mentioned Chrissie Hynde up there, townie....you'll
>have to do better than that.

Well heck... I wanted to list ALL the talented female musicians
throughout all history, but there's only so much bandwidth.

>Ruth, who is listening to Nico and The Velvet Underground even as we
>speak!

You are hot.

I want to have you, right now!

Cheers,

Todd "Music to shoot smack by" McNeeley

for TODD and country

Nov 14, 2002, 2:08:09 AM11/14/02
On 13 Nov 2002 16:07:07 GMT, ci...@aol.com (kyle.) wrote:

>>ut the only difference between them and Madonna is >that Madonna actually
>>managed the focus groups herself.
>
>Well & Madonna writes all of her own stuff, producers her own stuff, does her
>own videos, tours, etc.

Madonna is key to the creation of her image, and is hands on in all
aspects of production... But she doesn't actually shoot and direct her
own videos, book her own tours, do all her own choreography, etc...
She has, and needs, a lot of help.

Painting her as a superwoman who does it all is good for her image,
but the media savvy are quite aware of the talent in her support staff
and in the other artists she collaborates with.

I will say this. Madonna in that last 10 years is a more talented and
more interesting celeb than Madonna in the first 10 years. I never
said she was dumb. But her natural talent is, well, not all that
natural.

Cheers,

Todd "Plus, she's aged gracefully" McNeeley

for TODD and country

Nov 14, 2002, 2:10:54 AM11/14/02

Okay...

Everyone make a list of the 6 million artists I failed to list :-)

Cheers,

Todd "They are hot, and they brew a good beer" McNeeley

for TODD and country

Nov 14, 2002, 2:16:08 AM11/14/02
On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 00:02:20 GMT, "Patra" <pat...@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

She mentioned to me that she hates you too :-)

>A Kate Bush wanna be even if she does deny it to the hilt.

I really don't think she wants to be Kate Bush. If she did, she
wouldn't write music that makes you want to rip out your own entrails,
tie them in a noose, and hang yourself.

But despite the fact that she is visibly agitated whenever she hears
this, she does share many similar vocal qualities with Bush.

Personally, I love Kate Bush, though I only like Tori Amos fairly
well.

Should note, Kate Bush is far better looking :-)

>And Veruca Salt. Eck!

Well, now that just isn't fair.

Cheers,

Todd "But you like L7?" McNeeley

for TODD and country

Nov 14, 2002, 2:17:53 AM11/14/02
On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 03:30:04 GMT, j...@attcanada.ca (John Harkness)
wrote:

>On 14 Nov 2002 02:10:40 GMT, mst...@charter.net (Mark Steese) wrote:
>

>>Hwęt! We have heard of the glory of in TODD we trust <nu...@myserver.com>

I'd pay to see Walter Hill's cut of a documentary about laundering
socks.

Cheers,

Todd "But that's just me" McNeeley

for TODD and country

Nov 14, 2002, 2:21:46 AM11/14/02
On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 06:44:27 -0600, trotsky <gsi...@qwestonline.com>
wrote:

Grease must be ONE OF the worst movies in the "Universally Loved"
category.

Cheers,

Todd "Sorry Dad" McNeeley

for TODD and country

Nov 14, 2002, 2:20:59 AM11/14/02
On 14 Nov 2002 02:10:40 GMT, mst...@charter.net (Mark Steese) wrote:

>Hwæt! We have heard of the glory of in TODD we trust <nu...@myserver.com>
>that wrote news:3dd21c3b$0$1458$272e...@news.execpc.com, on the day of
>13 Nov 2002:

>> She wasn't that bad.
>
>If you're willing to overlook the fact that instead of being sympathetic
>she was alternately boring and hateful *and* the fact that instead of
>being sexy she was listless and creepy *and* the fact that there wasn't
>an instant where she convincingly portrayed concern for or attraction to
>Kevin Costner's character, then no, she wasn't that bad.
>
>I suppose I should cut her some slack just because she was cast opposite
>Kevin 'Block o' Cement' Costner. What the hell happened to him, anyway?
>How did he manage to go from Young Harrison Ford to Boring, Humorless Old
>Harrison Ford without stopping at Good Harrison Ford?

I could try... ...but I doubt I could harness the mean spirit that
could make me cut down a person as well as you just did.

Hell, you even converted me. She sucked!

>> but I want to see Angela Basset in My Bed.
>
>By the way, it's "Bassett." Not that I want to hound you over that.
>
>> No, that's no a movie. I mean MY BED... Damn, she's fine...
>
>I gather James Spader feels the same way you do. At least, that's the
>best explanation I can think of for why he starred in "Supernova." I
>picture him on the phone with his agent: "This script is worse than
>'Stargate'! No *way* am I....what?...nude scenes with Angela
>Bassett?...you're *sure* she's agreed to that?...what time do they want
>me on the set?"

I suppose its as valid a theory as any. Hell, I like Strange Days,
largely because she's in it.

Cheers,

Todd "And DAMN she's fine" McNeeley

kyle.

Nov 14, 2002, 12:30:43 PM11/14/02
>Madonna is key to the creation of her image, and is hands on in all
>aspects of production...

Yes she is.

>But she doesn't actually shoot and direct <her own videos,

No, but she does the basic design, storylines, etc.

>book her own tours,

She designs EVERY aspect of her tour down to the VERY minute detail.

>do all her own choreography, etc...

Um, she does most of her own choreography.

Kenneth Crudup

Nov 14, 2002, 4:54:37 PM11/14/02
In article <Xns92C5B8EAAD62A...@130.133.1.4>,
mst...@charter.net (Mark Steese) says:

>I gather James Spader feels the same way you do. At least, that's the
>best explanation I can think of for why he starred in "Supernova." I
>picture him on the phone with his agent: "This script is worse than
>'Stargate'! No *way* am I....what?...nude scenes with Angela
>Bassett?...you're *sure* she's agreed to that?...what time do they want
>me on the set?"

<choke>
<snort>

New keyboard time!

-Kenny, who *liked* Supernova, despite what I'd heard about it

--
Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Los Angeles, CA
Home: 3801 E. Pacific Coast Hwy #9, Long Beach, CA 90804-2014 (562) 961-7300
Work: 2052 Alton Parkway, Irvine, CA 92606-4905 (949) 252-1111 X240

Nick Macpherson

Nov 14, 2002, 5:38:39 PM11/14/02
>From: j...@attcanada.ca (John Harkness)

>>I gather James Spader feels the same way you do. At least, that's the
>>best explanation I can think of for why he starred in "Supernova." I
>>picture him on the phone with his agent: "This script is worse than
>>'Stargate'! No *way* am I....what?...nude scenes with Angela
>>Bassett?...you're *sure* she's agreed to that?...what time do they want
>>me on the set?"
>>
>>-Mark Steese
>
>Well, we really don't know what the original script for Supernova
>looked like, after going through how many re-writes, added scenes and
>re-shoots, and director changes.
>
>I would really like to see Walter Hill's cut of the film.

In Walter Hill's cut of Supernova, there weren't any nude scenes involving
Spader and Angela Bassett, were there? I thought Francis Coppola, re-cutting
the film, digitally altered the sex scene between Spader and Robin Tunney so it
would appear to be Spader and Bassett (brilliant movie, Francis, it's not like
anyone wants to see Robin Tunney naked, is it?). The R-rated Supernova DVD,
which restores the Tunney nudity, and includes some deleted material, is just
watchable enough to hint at the chance that the Hill cut of the film might
actually be good.

Patra

Nov 14, 2002, 6:49:30 PM11/14/02

"for TODD and country" <nu...@myserver.com> wrote in message

> Personally, I love Kate Bush, though I only like Tori Amos fairly
> well.

Me too. Though I can understand why some people want to strangle her.

> Should note, Kate Bush is far better looking :-)

Yep.

> >And Veruca Salt. Eck!
>
> Well, now that just isn't fair.

But they *are* so contrived and icky!
They write & sound like groupies.
And one of them actually puts "Wanna Ride Her" to shame.

Mark Steese

Nov 15, 2002, 3:08:20 AM11/15/02
Hwæt! We have heard of the glory of nmacp...@aol.com (Nick Macpherson)
that wrote news:20021114173839...@mb-da.aol.com, on the day
of 14 Nov 2002:

>>>I gather James Spader feels the same way you do. At least, that's the
>>>best explanation I can think of for why he starred in "Supernova." I
>>>picture him on the phone with his agent: "This script is worse than
>>>'Stargate'! No *way* am I....what?...nude scenes with Angela
>>>Bassett?...you're *sure* she's agreed to that?...what time do they
>>>want me on the set?"
>>>
>>>-Mark Steese
>>
>>Well, we really don't know what the original script for Supernova
>>looked like, after going through how many re-writes, added scenes and
>>re-shoots, and director changes.
>>
>>I would really like to see Walter Hill's cut of the film.
>>
> In Walter Hill's cut of Supernova, there weren't any nude scenes
> involving Spader and Angela Bassett, were there?

I believe the scene at the end where they go into the dimensional jump
pod together naked was in Hill's version.

> I thought Francis Coppola, re-cutting the film, digitally altered the
> sex scene between Spader and Robin Tunney so it would appear to be
> Spader and Bassett (brilliant movie, Francis, it's not like anyone
> wants to see Robin Tunney naked, is it?).

In the version I saw (videotape, not DVD) Tunney had as many scenes with
her clothes off as on. I can't confirm the rumor about the digitally-
altered footage, but in any case they reused it rather than discarding
the original scene (which was Peter Facinelli and Robin Tunney, not
Spader and Tunney).

> The R-rated Supernova DVD, which restores the Tunney nudity, and
> includes some deleted material, is just watchable enough to hint at the
> chance that the Hill cut of the film might actually be good.

Interestingly, Hill wasn't the first director attached to the project -
there's a good article about the movie on the Cinefex website (see
http://www.cinefex.com/supernova/supernova.html). And apparently there
is no Hill cut of the movie - he quit immediately after principal
photography was finished.

I'm skeptical about whether a Hill cut would have been much better than
the current version, given that the original script was written by
William Malone, author of "Universal Soldier: The Return" (he also
directed "FearDotCom," but at least he didn't write that one). Before
Hill came on board, the screenplay was rewritten by Daniel Chuba, who has
no other screenwriting credits -- he's a visual effects person, not a
writer.

Still before Hill came on board, the screenplay was re-re-written by
David Wilson, whose only previous script credit was "The Perfect
Weapon," a vehicle for the awesome kenpo karate skills of Jeff Speakman.
(Wilson is currently rumored to be working on a script treatment for
'Terminator IV.') And those are only the credited writers -- at least
three other people, include Hill himself, tried to fix the script.

There's another interesting article about the incredibly tangled
production on the Guardian's website (see
http://makeashorterlink.com/?T26415572), and according to the timeline at
http://www.movie-page.com/1999/Supernova.htm, Vincent D'Onofrio signed on
to play the computer operator when Geoff Wright was scheduled to direct
and quit after Wright was fired. The behind-the-scenes story of
'Supernova' would make a damned good movie!

Animeg3282

Nov 15, 2002, 10:17:37 AM11/15/02
Mark sauid

>By the way, it's "Bassett." Not that I want to hound you over that.

No matter how her name is spelled she was good in Sunshine State.
--
Hana no Kaitou
http://peachcoloredsky.keenspace.com <--- Archives up.