Nope (US) 2022

william ahearn

Aug 5, 2022, 6:42:38 PM8/5/22
Hey,

The best new US film that I've seen in a while. Gonna see it again to see if I love it. It's a sci-fi story out west in modern times. Good story that unravels rather than plotted. Really good.

trotsky

Aug 6, 2022, 3:30:13 PM8/6/22
On 8/5/2022 5:42 PM, william ahearn wrote:
> Hey,
>
> The best new US film that I've seen in a while. Gonna see it again to see if I love it. It's a sci-fi story out west in modern times. Good story that unravels rather than plotted. Really good.

Oh no, I agree with Billy Ahearn! Accurate description of a really well
made movie.

Bill Anderson

Aug 27, 2022, 12:40:30 PM8/27/22
On 8/5/2022 5:42 PM, william ahearn wrote:
> Hey,
>
> The best new US film that I've seen in a while. Gonna see it again to see if I love it. It's a sci-fi story out west in modern times. Good story that unravels rather than plotted. Really good.

I enjoyed it but not as much as I'd hoped because so many parts of the
story just lay there disconnected. (And now I've just deleted a
paragraph describing what I mean because it gave away too much plot.
I'll just say generally that the amusement park looked distractingly
phony and the park owner belonged in a different movie with his own plot.)

Still, the movie entertained and a few small touches were quite funny.
Daniel Kaluuya and Keke Palmer were excellent as the taciturn brother
and the ebullient sister, and Brandon Perea was charming as the Fry's
version of a Best Buy Geek Squad technician. I liked the cast.

But I still say the plot should've been tighter. Oh, sure, go on, give
it a look. It's sufficiently engaging. And then it would be great if you
would please explain to me why this "unraveled" movie needed that
chimpanzee.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

Arthur Lipscomb

Aug 27, 2022, 3:28:44 PM8/27/22
I had a very similar reaction the first time I saw it. Then I saw it a
second time and understood it better. I didn't necessarily like it
more, but I understood how it all tied together.

The reoccurring theme involves people trying to tame wild creatures for
their own use and things going horribly wrong as a result. That's how
the chimpanzee ties in.

Bill Anderson

Aug 28, 2022, 9:42:54 AM8/28/22
SPOILERS BELOW!!

I agree that one recurring theme involved the unpredictability of animals,
their failure to do what their “masters“ want them to do. OK, animals are
unpredictable, even domesticated ones like the horse. Don’t we all know
that? So maybe we learned something more insightful about this from the
movie? What exactly? Are we guilty of something? We saw that animals are
unpredictable and that fact just lay there.

Another recurring theme involved the willingness of people to chase fame at
any cost. The motorcyclist from TMZ was lying there incapacitated and all
he could think about was getting a good camera shot of his body in the
road. The main characters wanted to impress Oprah. The amusement park owner
clung to his childhood fame and was willing to put innocent lives in danger
in hopes of reclaiming it. The documentarian was so obsessed with
impressing the world with a shot of something no one had ever seen before
that he was willing to be gobbled up. Are people who chase fame guilty of
something? What exactly? Should people not chase fame? Should they be
punished for it as they were in this movie? We saw that people chase fame,
yes they do indeed, and that fact just lay there.

But I did enjoy the movie and I do enjoy thinking about it. It’s just that
the more I think about it, the shallower and less cohesive it seems.

RichA

Aug 31, 2022, 2:15:20 AM8/31/22
On Friday, 5 August 2022 at 18:42:38 UTC-4, wlah...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hey,
>
> The best new US film that I've seen in a while. Gonna see it again to see if I love it. It's a sci-fi story out west in modern times. Good story that unravels rather than plotted. Really good.

SPOILER

Why would O.J. be so down and out? His father was killed by debris falling from a plane, the airline would have been sued and would have lost.

trotsky

Sep 5, 2022, 9:11:12 AM9/5/22
On 8/5/2022 5:42 PM, william ahearn wrote:
> Hey,
>
> The best new US film that I've seen in a while. Gonna see it again to see if I love it. It's a sci-fi story out west in modern times. Good story that unravels rather than plotted. Really good.

It was good, but you would think a cinephile like yourself would be more
observant. There were many good elements to the movie but the directing
itself was fucking fantastic. Every shot of this film was well composed
and well chosen. And it moved at amazingly quick pace. And used the
F/X extremely well. And showcased the actors extremely well. Oscar
caliber in my opinion, although I don't think the Academy will be smart
enough to pick up on this.

trotsky

Sep 5, 2022, 9:24:48 AM9/5/22
You're like a Pavlov's dog. Shallower and less cohesive than what? Few
films in recent memory invite discussion like this. And yet, this being
the internet, you had to finish with something shitty! Pavlov would
have love it, classical conditioning at its best.