Mel Gibson does yeoman's work in movies, did Hollywood "cancel" him?

RichA

Jan 17, 2022, 5:02:19 AMJan 17
Unlike say Bruce Willis who has churned out a dozen pretty awful movies in the last few years, Gibson's films have been decent. But you don't see much in the theatre these days (minus the covid theatre closings that is).

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000154/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

moviePig

Jan 17, 2022, 9:47:37 AMJan 17
On 1/17/2022 5:02 AM, RichA wrote:
> Unlike say Bruce Willis who has churned out a dozen pretty awful movies in the last few years, Gibson's films have been decent. But you don't see much in the theatre these days (minus the covid theatre closings that is).
>
> https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000154/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

He "canceled" himself.

RichA

Jan 17, 2022, 7:05:18 PMJan 17
How so? His "Passion" movie was black-balled long before any of this "cancel" stuff was a real thing. Hollywood cancelled HIM.

moviePig

Jan 17, 2022, 10:21:50 PMJan 17
"2004's The Passion of the Christ, which Gibson directed, co-wrote and
produced, was a major milestone in faith-based filmmaking, earning more
than $611 million worldwide on a $30 million budget. It's the
highest-grossing R-rated film ever in North America with $370.8 million."

Your Name

Jan 18, 2022, 1:11:36 AMJan 18
Then he went nutso on the phone to his ex-girlfriend ... ranting at her
30 times in one night!! The guy is a lunatic with massive anger issues.
He's best forgotten about.

shawn

Jan 25, 2022, 11:42:50 AMJan 25
On Tue, 18 Jan 2022 19:11:33 +1300, Your Name <Your...@YourISP.com>
wrote:
He's behavior in his real life doesn't really impact my enjoyment (or
lack thereof) his performance in the movies.

Your Name

Jan 25, 2022, 3:01:47 PMJan 25
Maybe not, but it does impact the studio's decision whether or not to
employ someone who might go nutso again at any moment or bring bad
press coverage t their products.

The same has happened with numerous other celebrities who went nutso.
Some manage to claw back their careers, others get stranded doing only
low grade productions or presenting "reality" TV shows, and some
disappear from the limelight completely ... a few somehow manage to
make being nutso their career (Britney Spears being one).

RichA

Jan 28, 2022, 12:46:43 AMJan 28
Like Alec Baldwin and his daughter.

trotsky

Jan 29, 2022, 7:10:48 AMJan 29
Poor "Rich," at least he had some merit before he became a total vegetable.

JG Rove

Feb 4, 2022, 8:27:09 PMFeb 4
On Monday, January 17, 2022 at 4:02:19 AM UTC-6, RichA wrote:
> Unlike say Bruce Willis who has churned out a dozen pretty awful movies in the last few years, Gibson's films have been decent. But you don't see much in the theatre these days (minus the covid theatre closings that is).
>
> https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000154/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Seth Meyers had a Gibson birthday joke:

"after Mel made a wish and blew out the cake candles, Mel opened his eyes and was disappointed that the Jews were still here"