How are movie theaters even staying in business?

irishra...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2017, 2:19:43 AM7/11/17
l consider myself to be a strong "Movie Customer". I may not be in
Movie Pig's league, but I really like movies and watch a lot them. So you'd think
I'd be a good customer for the local movie theaters.

Just the opposite! I can't even remember the last time I set foot in a movie theater.
The reason is simple - there are so many movies available to me at home. I have
the deluxe AT&T U-Verse cable package which includes Show Time, HBO, Cinemax,
Epix, The Movie Channel (TMC), FLIX and several others. Plus hundreds of cable channels
as well as all the new movies AT&T has for rent.

And that doesn't include my Netflix membership, which provides both DVDs through the mail as well
as Netflix Streaming. And Netflix has added so many new shows and original programs
that I can't even keep track of them. And now I get movie streaming as part of my
Amazon Prime account. Plus, I am constantly getting offers for free trials from HULU
and other Internet movie streaming companies. Oh, and if you want to see some
old movie that you can barely remember, just go on You Tube. Chances are you'll
find it there for free.

Seriously, why would I want to drive to a movie theater, pay their ticket price and their absurdly
high concession stand prices, to get a seat behind some moron who is going to talk through
most of the movie anyway? I mean, how are these movie theaters staying in business?

Irish mike

Who probably won't be seeing you at the box office.

Your Name

Jul 11, 2017, 3:31:46 AM7/11/17
On the extremely rare occasions I go to a cinema these days (the last
movie I remember going to see was the awful looking Star Wars Episode I
3D release), I go during the normal weekday sessions when most of the
morons are at school or work. The theatre is often almost empty, and
once or twice I was the only person there. :-)

Otherwise all the movies I watch are either on DVD (the few I want to
keep) or recorded from free-to-air TV channels (I watched Planes and
Planes 2 today).

Inkan1969

Jul 12, 2017, 11:26:36 AM7/12/17
On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 2:19:43 AM UTC-4, irishra...@gmail.com wrote:

I honestly don't feel I've truly seen a movie unless I've seen it on the big screen, wherein my attention is on nothing but the big screen surrounded by the dark. And I never buy concessions anyway.

- Inkan1969

Jenny Telia

Jul 15, 2017, 5:28:32 PM7/15/17
On 12/07/2017 17:26, Inkan1969 wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 2:19:43 AM UTC-4, irishra...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> I honestly don't feel I've truly seen a movie unless I've seen it on the big screen, wherein my attention is on nothing but the big screen surrounded by the dark...
...and the rustling of sweets being unwrapped, the shuffle of pop-corn
in cardboard, the odd mobile phone ringing in the distance, not to
mention the silhouettes of persons constantly shuffling to-and-fro from
the toilet or the kiosk...

Ahh yes, the romance of the big screen.

Your Name

Jul 15, 2017, 6:30:11 PM7/15/17
Apparently (since I've never bothered to pay the even more over-bloated
ticket prices) the "posh" cinemas have waiters to bring the snacks, or
even meals and wine, to your seat, so that's even more fools wandering
around. :-\

> Ahh yes, the romance of the big screen.

That's why you only go to the cinema during the week daytime sessions
when most of the morons are at work / school and the theatre is almost
(if not completely) empty ... just avoid the "Mums & Babies" sessions.
:-)

Joan in GB-W

Jul 18, 2017, 9:43:01 PM7/18/17

"Jenny Telia" wrote in message news:oke16i$d4f$1...@dont-email.me...
If I don’t see it on the big screen I don't consider it a movie. What I see
on the small screens are TV shows.

irishra...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2017, 1:20:18 AM7/19/17
LOL! And make sure you steer clear of them dang computer things and them
new hand held tele-phones. They both has movie' pictures on 'em! Course they
ain't real movie pictures less they show em in a the-a-ter!

Irish Mike

Inkan1969

Jul 19, 2017, 10:42:20 AM7/19/17
I don't own a cell phone. If I did, I'm not sure I'd much like looking at a cat video on a screen the size of my palm, let alone an entire movie. Now I like watching youtube videos on my 24" computer screen, but I wouldn't find sitting one foot in front of a screen to watch a two hour movie comfortable. And I don't want the hassle of hooking my laptop up to a TV screen to see a film on that.

- Inkan1969

Inkan1969

Jul 19, 2017, 10:44:36 AM7/19/17
I'll admit that I generally do not go to super-wide releases on their opening weekend, to avoid packed theaters. I went to see "Guardians 2" just last week, when there were a handful of people at the theater. Still, food noise never bothered me much. What actually does bother me nowadays is the person that has his superbright smart phone on during the film.

- Inkan1969

Joan in GB-W

Jul 20, 2017, 10:38:32 AM7/20/17

"Inkan1969" wrote in message
Agreed. I look forward to seeing Dunkirk on the large screen . . . but not
for a week or two.
Wonder if Irish Mike will be watching it on his cell phone.
Joan (aka Siobhan)

irishra...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2017, 1:37:40 PM7/20/17
No Siobhan, I'll be watching it, in the comfort of my beautiful home, on a high end smart TV.
And when I finish watching it, I will have seen every thing you saw. Except that I can
re-wind and re-watch any part of it I choose. And I'll still have the money you spent.

Irish Mike

P.S. I hope you do not get robbed or assaulted walking out to your car.

moviePig

Jul 20, 2017, 3:24:25 PM7/20/17
On 7/20/2017 1:37 PM, irishra...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, July 20, 2017 at 10:38:32 AM UTC-4, Joan in GB-W wrote:
>> "Inkan1969" wrote in message

>>> ...and the rustling of sweets being unwrapped, the shuffle of pop-corn
>>> in cardboard, the odd mobile phone ringing in the distance, not to
>>> mention the silhouettes of persons constantly shuffling to-and-fro from
>>> the toilet or the kiosk...
>>>
>>> Ahh yes, the romance of the big screen.
>>
>>> I'll admit that I generally do not go to super-wide releases on their
>>> opening weekend, to avoid packed theaters. I went to see "Guardians 2"
>>> just last week, when there were a handful of people at the theater. Still,
>>> food noise never bothered me much. What actually does bother me nowadays
>>> is the person that has his superbright smart phone on during the film.
>>
>> Agreed. I look forward to seeing Dunkirk on the large screen . . . but not
>> for a week or two.
>> Wonder if Irish Mike will be watching it on his cell phone.
>> Joan (aka Siobhan)
>
> No Siobhan, I'll be watching it, in the comfort of my beautiful home, on a high end smart TV.
> And when I finish watching it, I will have seen every thing you saw. Except that I can
> re-wind and re-watch any part of it I choose. And I'll still have the money you spent.

No, you'll have seen *most* of what she saw. And heard. And, in some
instances, felt. But, oddly (and perhaps selfishly), many of us who
notice and appreciate those small bits of extra quality are happiest not
sharing our theaters with those who don't.

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Jul 20, 2017, 4:31:57 PM7/20/17
In article <5971014a$0$34516$c3e8da3$dbd...@news.astraweb.com>,
I still feel that an audience is part of the experience (though heavens
knows I have been the only person in the auditorium many times).

To give a recent example: I'm not sure the reaction to the opening of a
particular door in the current Spider-Man would be as intense watching
it alone. The shared intake of breath is a real thing..
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Inkan1969

Jul 20, 2017, 4:43:42 PM7/20/17
I never just sit down and do nothing but watch TV. That seems wasteful. I'm usually eating or grading homework assignments or balancing my checkbook or cleaning when I watch TV. I feel I should go to a theater if I want to make the special time where I pay attention to just one thing.

I used to buy VHS tapes and DVD's, but not really anymore. I normally don't have much interest in rewatching movies nowadays. The one time experience works for me.

And you ARE paying for the cable or satellite or streaming that you're using.

- Inkan1969

moviePig

Jul 20, 2017, 4:59:39 PM7/20/17
I can dig it, at least for a well-behaved audience ...which seems to
obtain most readily when the audience is very small or very large.