[RH2] Chinese-English translations in Rush Hour 2 question (SPOILERS)

V. Yim

Aug 8, 2001, 7:48:30 PM8/8/01
Okay, first the question:

In the climax of the film, what is Zhang Zi-Yi's character saying
when...

And now the spoiler.

...when she's holding a time bomb and walking towards Lee and Carter?

I mean, I do know what you're supposed to say in Cantonese when you
point a gun at someone ("Mo yook"/"don't move"), and what you say when
you're an undercover cop and you've just killed about 30 people, and
another cop walks out of the elevator and you shoot him three times,
killing him ("Pok gai!"/"Oh fuck!"), and what you say when you're a cop,
but the swat guys are about to shoot at you and you don't want them to
("Mo-ah! Ngo sai-lo!"/"No! I'm a cop!").

But my Mandarin is really rusty and in Chinese 101, the teacher didn't
go over swear words and stuff you say to your enemy when you are about
to blow him up with a bomb.

Peace,
Vince Yim

Michael Wong

Aug 8, 2001, 8:38:53 PM8/8/01
"V. Yim" wrote:

Hi, fellow cantonese speaking friend. 8)

I could only make out a couple of phrases, "Huang Ba Darn" which literally
translates to "yellow eight eggs" but means something to the order of
calling someone an @sshole, and something about "dying together".

I thought the movie was quite a bit better than Rush Hour 1, which is a
pleasant surprise. Will probably watch it again sometime in the future as
I missed a few minutes in a couple of spots.

> Peace,
> Vince Yim

Michael

V. Yim

Aug 8, 2001, 9:28:34 PM8/8/01
Michael Wong wrote:

> "V. Yim" wrote:
>
> > Okay, first the question:
> >
> > In the climax of the film, what is Zhang Zi-Yi's character saying
> > when...
> >
> > And now the spoiler.

> > ...when she's holding a time bomb and walking towards Lee and Carter?
> >
> > I mean, I do know what you're supposed to say in Cantonese when you
> > point a gun at someone ("Mo yook"/"don't move"), and what you say when
> > you're an undercover cop and you've just killed about 30 people, and
> > another cop walks out of the elevator and you shoot him three times,
> > killing him ("Pok gai!"/"Oh fuck!"), and what you say when you're a cop,
> > but the swat guys are about to shoot at you and you don't want them to
> > ("Mo-ah! Ngo sai-lo!"/"No! I'm a cop!").
> >
> > But my Mandarin is really rusty and in Chinese 101, the teacher didn't
> > go over swear words and stuff you say to your enemy when you are about
> > to blow him up with a bomb.
>
> Hi, fellow cantonese speaking friend. 8)

Actually, my Cantonese isn't that much better than my Mandarin. I can
barely order at a Chinese restaurant, but I at least know when my folks
are talking about me to relatives (usually if I can pick out a few
keywords and I know the context, I'll understand).

> I could only make out a couple of phrases, "Huang Ba Darn" which literally
> translates to "yellow eight eggs" but means something to the order of
> calling someone an @sshole, and something about "dying together".

Well, what else is there to say but "uhm goi"? Or "xie-xie", if you
would.

> I thought the movie was quite a bit better than Rush Hour 1, which is a
> pleasant surprise. Will probably watch it again sometime in the future as
> I missed a few minutes in a couple of spots.

I thought the flick was a lot of fun. Outtakes were by far the funniest
part (even that line when you see a shot of the dummy hitting the car
and Carter says, "Da-amn...he ain't gonna be in Rush Hour 3!"). The
fighting scenes weren't that spectacular, but the dialogue was really
funny.

Peace,
Vince Yim

Jin Yang

Aug 9, 2001, 7:11:56 PM8/9/01
> Hi, fellow cantonese speaking friend. 8)
>
> I could only make out a couple of phrases, "Huang Ba Darn" which literally
> translates to "yellow eight eggs" but means something to the order of
> calling someone an @sshole, and something about "dying together".

it's "wang ba dan," literal translation is "turtle's egg." it's equivalent
to "SOB"

jin

Michael Wong

Aug 15, 2001, 9:30:24 PM8/15/01
"V. Yim" wrote:

> Michael Wong wrote:
> > "V. Yim" wrote:
> > > Okay, first the question:
> > >
> > > In the climax of the film, what is Zhang Zi-Yi's character saying
> > > when...

> > > ...when she's holding a time bomb and walking towards Lee and Carter?
> > >

> > > But my Mandarin is really rusty and in Chinese 101, the teacher didn't
> > > go over swear words and stuff you say to your enemy when you are about
> > > to blow him up with a bomb.

> > I thought the movie was quite a bit better than Rush Hour 1, which is a
> > pleasant surprise. Will probably watch it again sometime in the future as
> > I missed a few minutes in a couple of spots.
>
> I thought the flick was a lot of fun. Outtakes were by far the funniest
> part (even that line when you see a shot of the dummy hitting the car
> and Carter says, "Da-amn...he ain't gonna be in Rush Hour 3!"). The
> fighting scenes weren't that spectacular, but the dialogue was really
> funny.

I totally agree, anyway, I just saw it again last night and can tell you a bit
more about what Zhang ZiYi was saying. When she first appeared with the time
bomb, she was saying "... nee mun liang ge Wong Ba Darn..." / "... you two
turtle eggs...",
i.e. calling those 2 @ssholes, then I couldn't make out the second sentence,
the third and last sentence she said was "... yau wor ji gee lai, wor jew ji
gee lai!" / "if I have to do it myself, then I will do it myself". Basically
meaning if she had to blow herself up in order to kill Chan and Tucker, then so
be it.

I just realized a lot of the chinese translations were really off the mark,
Tucker was called "zay huck gwai" / "damn black ghost/devil" in one of the
scenes but that insulting remark didn't make it on screen, also when Jackie
Chan was translating Tucker's bad cantonese to him, the translations were bad,
e.g. in the night club when Chris was yelling bad cantonese to the gangsters
(the pick up their samurai swords and shave his butt part...), and when he was
trying to pick up the girls in the car.

> Peace,
> Vince Yim

Michael