james-cameron-accused-of-stealing-Avatar

The Starmaker

Jun 12, 2010, 5:57:53 PM6/12/10

The Starmaker

Jun 12, 2010, 6:03:19 PM6/12/10

The Starmaker

Jun 12, 2010, 6:39:42 PM6/12/10

Look at those comparison photos...

comparison-photos
http://tiuniverse.com/plot-comparisons/comparison-photos

James Cameron is a Fuckin Thief!

The Starmaker

http://tiuniverse.com/characters
http://tiuniverse.com/story/back-ground-story
http://tiuniverse.com/story/screenplay
http://tiuniverse.com/letters

When are you people going to learn....
these Hollywood people are "all thieves".
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/13051757#13051757

they steal...everyday.

They wake up...
have a bagel with creame chesse..
and steal all day.

on another note...
nothing to do with this..
did you see the movie Scarface with Al Pacino?

At the beginning of Scarface, you see archive footage of Fidel Castro giving a speech
and Cuban refugees arriving on boats in Florida, ...when in fact
Of the 125,000 refugees that landed in Florida, an estimated 25,000 had criminal records.

Do you know where Castro got that idea of 'empting his jailhouse of 25,000 criminals',
and dumping them on the U.S.?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZP8xsEJGGo

moviePig

Jun 12, 2010, 6:47:01 PM6/12/10
On Jun 12, 6:03 pm, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> The Starmaker wrote:
>
> >http://blog.taragana.com/e/2010/05/20/james-cameron-accused-of-plagia...

> > Let me translate for you...in Mafiya English:
>
> > "I'm going after you and your fuckin lawyer if you don't drop this thing! I'm going to take all
> > your money and make you bankrupt!!!
>
> > The Starmaker
>
> >http://tiuniverse.com/letters
> >http://tiuniverse.com/images/stories/letters/L/Terra-Incognita-Avatar...
> >http://tiuniverse.com/law-suit-against-avatar/57-vancouver-man-sues-a...
>
> http://tiuniverse.com/law-suit-against-avatar/40-suing-avatar
>
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13050005/http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/13051757#13051757

(Wonder why nobody ever stole the plot for, say, FURRY VENGEANCE...)

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...

EGK

Jun 12, 2010, 7:26:03 PM6/12/10
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 15:03:19 -0700, The Starmaker <star...@ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

That's gotta be impossible. Every one knows Cameron plagiarized Disney's
Pocahontas and Costner's Dances with Wolves to make Avatar.

cloud dreamer

Jun 12, 2010, 7:29:08 PM6/12/10

There's no copyright on ideas.

..

EGK

Jun 12, 2010, 7:32:58 PM6/12/10

Which is exactly what the big shots hide behind when stealing. It's
mentioned here.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13050005/

"They simply exclude the writer -- the person that brought them this
valuable property -- develop it themselves and then hide behind copyright,�
said Marder. �They say, �Hey your ideas weren't protected, whether we stole
them or not you have no claim.��

Federal copyright law doesn't cover ideas -- only the specific expression of
an idea. That means by simply changing a few things in someone's script,
someone else can make it different enough to legally call it their own.

But in a recent case involving the Miramax movie "Rounders" a California
appeals court ruled that, while a stolen screenplay isn't always copyright
infringement, it can be a breach of contract.

"The court says you don't actually have to have a contract -- they're going
to imply it,� said Marder. �If you're a producer and you're meeting with an
author to hear his idea, you're doing it because you want to buy it and
you're going to pay for it."

Marder says Reed Martin had an implied contract when he pitched his
screenplay and that the makers of "Broken Flowers" breached it by making an
identical movie without paying him a dime.

cloud dreamer

Jun 12, 2010, 7:38:46 PM6/12/10

There's a difference between a writer pitching an idea and claiming
Avatar ripped off Pocahontas and DwW.

If someone can prove they specifically pitched the idea of blue aliens
doing what they did in Avatar then he has a point. Proving it is another
matter and any writer that pitches such an idea to a movie producer
without covering his ass deserves what he gets.

But to insinuate that Cameron ripped off Pocahontas and DwW is meaningless.

Otherwise, Hamlet would merely be another rip off.

..

EGK

Jun 12, 2010, 7:53:36 PM6/12/10
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 21:08:46 -0230, cloud dreamer
<Climate.i...@much.much.2.fast> wrote:

My claim that he ripped off Pocahontas and Dances with Wolves was meant to
be humorous but I don't think you even bothered to read the linked articles.
http://tiuniverse.com/law-suit-against-avatar/40-suing-avatar

It sounds like the guy may have a pretty good case if he can keep from being
ruined by Cameron's deep pockets. Of course Cameron will hide behind the
claim that he thought up the idea in 1996. Sorry but that doesn't even
pass the smell test to me if all those similarities are accurate.

It's just too bad that according to that MSNBC article it's something that's
par for the course. The irony is amusing to me in that Hollywood has
probably always been a den of theives yet there they are claiming people
downloading movies and songs is going to ruin the industries.

cloud dreamer

Jun 12, 2010, 7:58:11 PM6/12/10
>>> valuable property -- develop it themselves and then hide behind copyright,�
>>> said Marder. �They say, �Hey your ideas weren't protected, whether we stole
>>> them or not you have no claim.��

>>> Federal copyright law doesn't cover ideas -- only the specific expression of
>>> an idea. That means by simply changing a few things in someone's script,
>>> someone else can make it different enough to legally call it their own.
>>>
>>> But in a recent case involving the Miramax movie "Rounders" a California
>>> appeals court ruled that, while a stolen screenplay isn't always copyright
>>> infringement, it can be a breach of contract.
>>>
>>> "The court says you don't actually have to have a contract -- they're going
>>> to imply it,� said Marder. �If you're a producer and you're meeting with an

If Cameron is a thief then so is Shakespeare.

The simple fact of the matter is that if ideas were property, there'd be
nothing to watch on tv.

..

EGK

Jun 12, 2010, 8:01:48 PM6/12/10
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 21:28:11 -0230, cloud dreamer

>The simple fact of the matter is that if ideas were property, there'd be
>nothing to watch on tv.

The courts have disagreed with you.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/%27Rounders%27+lawsuit+results+in+broader+protection+for+writers-a0123324483

It's become the Hollywood cliche: a screenwriter claims that his script or
treatment that's rejected by producers is eventually turned into a movie.

The studios have been relatively successful in defending such claims by
either proving that the lawsuit has no merit or that the script differs too
much from the movie to be protected under U.S. copyright laws.

But that might become harder after a federal appellate panel published a
decision earlier this month giving writers a second recourse in pursuing
intellectual property claims....

cloud dreamer

Jun 12, 2010, 8:04:14 PM6/12/10

Again. There's a difference in what writers pitch and the ideas those
pitches are based upon.

..

EGK

Jun 12, 2010, 8:20:58 PM6/12/10

This thread was about a specific case of a script being sent to Cameron's
studio as well as others. If the writer of that story can prove enough
similarities, Cameron better be able to show he really did start writing
Avatar back in 1996. Well, I take that back, I would guess his deep
pockets and lawyers will be able to bury the guy whether he has a legitimate
case or not.

Since you obviously still never bothered to read the articles, you're
welcome to keep your head in the sand about it.

cloud dreamer

Jun 12, 2010, 8:25:13 PM6/12/10

Don't need to read the articles. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Specific story line compared to an idea.

They're not the same.

..

EGK

Jun 12, 2010, 8:38:14 PM6/12/10
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 21:55:13 -0230, cloud dreamer
<Climate.i...@much.much.2.fast> wrote:

ROFL That pretty much says it all right there for your argument.

cloud dreamer

Jun 12, 2010, 8:40:31 PM6/12/10

I'm only addressing one point. Cameron did not "rip off" Pocahontas or
DwW. You can link to whatever sites all you want.

Ideas are not property.

..

EGK

Jun 12, 2010, 8:47:40 PM6/12/10
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 22:10:31 -0230, cloud dreamer
<Climate.i...@much.much.2.fast> wrote:

So you didn't even read my posts either. Okkkk. Done with your trolling
then.

cloud dreamer

Jun 12, 2010, 8:53:33 PM6/12/10

Lame.

I can read your post fine. Let me quote it:

>> Every one knows Cameron plagiarized Disney's

My original point stands. I said there's no copyright on ideas.

Dredging up court cases referring to specific story lines addresses a
totally different issue.

The fact remains. Ideas are not property.

Not my fault you can't tell the difference.

..

RichA

Jun 12, 2010, 9:02:30 PM6/12/10
On Jun 12, 5:57 pm, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> http://blog.taragana.com/e/2010/05/20/james-cameron-accused-of-plagia...

> Let me translate for you...in Mafiya English:
>
> "I'm going after you and your fuckin lawyer if you don't drop this thing! I'm going to take all
> your money and make you bankrupt!!!
>
> The Starmaker
>
> http://tiuniverse.com/lettershttp://tiuniverse.com/images/stories/letters/L/Terra-Incognita-Avatar...http://tiuniverse.com/law-suit-against-avatar/57-vancouver-man-sues-a...

You mean there are two people out there who thought of the Navi? Or
maybe Cameron just spotted a sure thing and took it?

The Starmaker

Jun 14, 2010, 1:42:51 PM6/14/10
RichA wrote:

> On Jun 12, 5:57 pm, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> > http://blog.taragana.com/e/2010/05/20/james-cameron-accused-of-plagia...
> >
> > Let me translate for you...in Mafiya English:
> >
> > "I'm going after you and your fuckin lawyer if you don't drop this thing! I'm going to take all
> > your money and make you bankrupt!!!
> >
> > The Starmaker
> >
> http://tiuniverse.com/lettershttp://tiuniverse.com/images/stories/letters/L/Terra-Incognita-Avatar...http://tiuniverse.com/law-suit-against-avatar/57-vancouver-man-sues
>
> You mean there are two people out there who thought of the Navi? Or
> maybe Cameron just spotted a sure thing and took it?

a thief has a right to steal if he think he can get away with it, ...that is why Hollywood hires the
best copyright lawyers...to help them steal. The studios take the stolen script to their 'copyright lawyers', and
and say, "Show me how to steal from this script."

The 'copyright lawyer' tells them.."First, cross out his name and write your name. You now own the script"
"Then hire a script writer and read it to him but don't show him the script."
"If the original script owner tries to sue you, put his lawyer out of business." "He cannot sue without a lawyer."
"And no Hollywood lawyer would take his case unless we give that lawyer permission. Then that lawyer will empty
his bank account and drop the client."

The Starmaker

The best solution is for the original script owner Emil Malak, is to put a gun on James Cameron temple and tell him,
"You owe me money, you pay me or I'll blow your fuckin brains out!"

You don't hire a lawyer, you don't take it to court, you just handle it...personally.

What this world needs is the blood of studio people running down the streets like a river...isn't there
a word fo it? ....
consequences

Something that logically or naturally follows from an action ...you steal from me, you die?

I don't get it. Some one goes into your home and steals yout $500.00 TV set, you feel you have a right
to kill him for it....but if someone steals your idea that makes millions of dollars for them, ...you let it go?

I don't get it.

I must live in a different world then you guys...

If James Cameron would steal my idea, ...he wouldn't be alive today, ...he would be dead.

Emil Malak from Vancouver Canada needs to come to Hollywood and put a bullet through Cameron's head.

That's it! It's very simple.

It's not that complicated.

It's something that logically or naturally follows from an action...

then you can go home and say to yourself...

"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done;....."

The Starmaker

Jun 14, 2010, 2:13:09 PM6/14/10
The Starmaker wrote:

> RichA wrote:
> >
> > On Jun 12, 5:57 pm, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> > > http://blog.taragana.com/e/2010/05/20/james-cameron-accused-of-plagia...
> > >
> > > Let me translate for you...in Mafiya English:
> > >
> > > "I'm going after you and your fuckin lawyer if you don't drop this thing! I'm going to take all
> > > your money and make you bankrupt!!!
> > >
> > > The Starmaker
> > >
> http://tiuniverse.com/lettershttp://tiuniverse.com/images/stories/letters/L/Terra-Incognita-Avatar...http://tiuniverse.com/law-suit-against-avatar/57-vancouver-man-

What Emil Malak should have done first was make a comic book and publish it first before
taking his script to Hollywood.

The Starmaker

http://blog.taragana.com/e/2010/05/20/james-cameron-accused-of-plagiarism-128283/

Let me translate for you...in Mafiya English:

"I'm going after you and your fuckin lawyer if you don't drop this thing! I'm going to take all
your money and make you bankrupt!!!

The Starmaker

http://tiuniverse.com/letters
http://tiuniverse.com/images/stories/letters/L/Terra-Incognita-Avatar-Comparison-15.jpg
http://tiuniverse.com/law-suit-against-avatar/57-vancouver-man-sues-avatar-director-studio

The Starmaker

Jun 14, 2010, 2:24:48 PM6/14/10
The Starmaker wrote:

> The Starmaker wrote:
> >
> > RichA wrote:

> http://tiuniverse.com/lettershttp://tiuniverse.com/images/stories/letters/L/Terra-Incognita-Avatar...http://tiuniverse.com/law-suit-against-avatar/57-vancouv

In fact, all movie and tv scripts should first be made into a comic book and published before submitting
a script to Hollywood, because courtroom judges read comic books, not screenplays.

The Starmaker

Extravagan

Jun 15, 2010, 12:17:12 AM6/15/10
The Starmaker talked to himself like a crazy person:
> The Starmaker nattered on like a nut:
>> The Starmaker advocated assault with a deadly:

>>> The best solution is for the original script owner Emil Malak, is to
>>> put a gun on James Cameron temple and tell him, "You owe me money,
>>> you pay me or I'll blow your fuckin brains out!"
>>>
>>> You don't hire a lawyer, you don't take it to court, you just handle
>>> it...personally.
>>>
>>> What this world needs is the blood of studio people running down the
>>> streets like a river...isn't there a word fo it? ....
>>> consequences
>>
>> Emil Malak from Vancouver Canada needs to come to Hollywood and put a
>> bullet through Cameron's head.
>
> In fact, all movie and tv scripts should first be made into a comic book
> and published before submitting a script to Hollywood, because courtroom
> judges read comic books, not screenplays.

Let's see. Assault with a deadly, extortion, uttering threats, uttering
death threats, murder, and then mass murder suggested, followed by
MAKING EVERYTHING INTO A COMIC BOOK?

Ladies and gentlemen, this is clearly one seriously disturbed nutcase we
have posting here. Someone lock him up before he manages to actually do
something violent. Or worse, turns Avatar II or Star Wars VII or
something into a fucking comic book.

Aaaaiiieee!

--
"I'll admit that I'm impotent" -- WQ IV in
<0b50d7c9-fe3a-4c38...@h9g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>

The Starmaker

Jun 15, 2010, 2:03:00 PM6/15/10

Castro got the idea from his commie friends...the Russians.

Russia emptied their jails of Jewish criminals unto Brooklyn's Brighton
Beach by the thousands...

Where is the Brighton Beach Godfather Movie?

The Starmaker

http://www.americanmafia.com/Feature_Articles_372.html

The Starmaker

Jun 15, 2010, 2:44:17 PM6/15/10

http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2009/10/james-cameron-stole-avatar-question-mark

I think James Cameron stole from everybody!!!

He not only stole the ideas, but he also stole the drawings which are the 'expression of an idea' which is copyrightable.
Find out who is the artist who drew the blue people and ask him what he used for reference? James Cameron must have showed him
stolen drawings...there is no other possible way.

They steal simply because they run out of ideas...and they are too cheap to pay others for their ideas.

It's a "too cheap" problem.

"too cheap".

I got it, we need to kill all the "too cheap" people!

Who is known for being "too cheap"? What race?

Will Dockery

Jun 15, 2010, 3:00:06 PM6/15/10
Yes, it will be interesting to see how this one turns out.

http://blog.taragana.com/e/2010/05/20/james-cameron-accused-of-plagiarism-128283/

"...Writer Kelly Van has claimed that Cameron based the movie on her
online book “Sheila the Warrior: The Damned”.

However, Cameron insists he’s never seen the story, but Van has filed
papers alleging that both the director and the movie studio 20th
Century Fox plagiarised her plot and character details.

She claims the “demeanour”, “attire”, “motions” and “powers/rituals”
of the Na’vi characters, as well as the “settings” and “scenes” are
based entirely on her work, reports imdb.com..."

--
"Shadowville Speedway" CD on Artemis Records:
http://www.artemisrecords.net/dockeryconley.html

> > > Look at those comparison photos...
>
> > > comparison-photos
> > >http://tiuniverse.com/plot-comparisons/comparison-photos
>
> > > James Cameron is a Fuckin Thief!
>
> > > The Starmaker
>
> > >http://tiuniverse.com/characters
> > >http://tiuniverse.com/story/back-ground-story
> > >http://tiuniverse.com/story/screenplay
> > >http://tiuniverse.com/letters
>
> > > When are you people going to learn....
> > > these Hollywood people are "all thieves".
> > >http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/13051757#13051757
>
> > > they steal...everyday.
>
> > > They wake up...
> > > have a bagel with creame chesse..
> > > and steal all day.
>

> http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2009/10/james-cameron-stole-avatar-questi...

The Starmaker

Jun 15, 2010, 3:37:40 PM6/15/10
I think James Cameron stradegy was to 'steal from everyone'. That way,
when his movie comes out and everybody tries to sue him, he'll respond with,

"Did I steal from everyone?"

And the answer of course is , Yes.

The Starmaker

The stolen parts are the best parts in the movie, aren't they?

EGK

Jun 15, 2010, 4:43:49 PM6/15/10
It's not like it's the first time Cameron's movies have faced lawsuits of
this kind. Both The Terminator and his TV series Dark Angel owed a lot to
others. Harlan Ellison wrote a stories similar to The Terminator for The
Outer Limits and Robert Heinlein wrote a book, Friday, very similar to Dark
Angel.

There is a fine line between stealing and simply using something for
inspiration. Ellison was a big enough name that his threats to sue got him
a credit for The Terminator as well as a settlement.

I like Cameron's movies for the most part and using other things for
inspiration is fine. I think Cameron's ego often prevents him from giving
credit where it's due though.

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 12:37:40 -0700, The Starmaker <star...@ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

>I think James Cameron stradegy was to 'steal from everyone'. That way,

The Starmaker

Jun 15, 2010, 5:08:03 PM6/15/10
EGK wrote:

> It's not like it's the first time Cameron's movies have faced lawsuits of
> this kind. Both The Terminator and his TV series Dark Angel owed a lot to
> others. Harlan Ellison wrote a stories similar to The Terminator for The
> Outer Limits and Robert Heinlein wrote a book, Friday, very similar to Dark
> Angel.
>
> There is a fine line between stealing and simply using something for
> inspiration. Ellison was a big enough name that his threats to sue got him
> a credit for The Terminator as well as a settlement.
>
> I like Cameron's movies for the most part and using other things for
> inspiration is fine. I think Cameron's ego often prevents him from giving
> credit where it's due though.

inspiration? You mean...theft. Stealing other's people property is not called...inspiration, it's called theft.

Not giving credit means, not telling anyone where you stole it from.

What kind of world you people live in?

David Johnston

Jun 15, 2010, 5:22:49 PM6/15/10
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 12:00:06 -0700 (PDT), Will Dockery
<will.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Yes, it will be interesting to see how this one turns out.
>
>http://blog.taragana.com/e/2010/05/20/james-cameron-accused-of-plagiarism-128283/
>
>"...Writer Kelly Van has claimed that Cameron based the movie on her
>online book “Sheila the Warrior: The Damned”.
>
>However, Cameron insists he’s never seen the story, but Van has filed
>papers alleging that both the director and the movie studio 20th
>Century Fox plagiarised her plot and character details.
>
>She claims the “demeanour”, “attire”, “motions” and “powers/rituals”
>of the Na’vi characters, as well as the “settings” and “scenes” are
>based entirely on her work, reports imdb.com..."

Boy, Sheila the Warrior must have been an awful lot like "The Word For
World Is Forest".

David Johnston

Jun 15, 2010, 5:36:26 PM6/15/10
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 14:08:03 -0700, The Starmaker
<star...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>EGK wrote:
>>
>> It's not like it's the first time Cameron's movies have faced lawsuits of
>> this kind. Both The Terminator and his TV series Dark Angel owed a lot to
>> others. Harlan Ellison wrote a stories similar to The Terminator for The
>> Outer Limits and Robert Heinlein wrote a book, Friday, very similar to Dark
>> Angel.
>>
>> There is a fine line between stealing and simply using something for
>> inspiration. Ellison was a big enough name that his threats to sue got him
>> a credit for The Terminator as well as a settlement.
>>
>> I like Cameron's movies for the most part and using other things for
>> inspiration is fine. I think Cameron's ego often prevents him from giving
>> credit where it's due though.
>

>inspiration? You mean...theft. Stealing other's people property

Ideas are not property and can not be stolen. Trademarks are
property. Entire books are property. But ideas are not property.

Sarah B

Jun 15, 2010, 5:44:41 PM6/15/10
The last thing you want to do if you have a good, intriguing idea is
write a novel about it and publish it on the Internet. It's way too
easy for anybody to steal your ideas, rewrite them, and claim them as
their own. Better to publish the novel using the standard methods, or
even some of the new ones available (Amazon publish on demand, for
example). Publishing on the Internet is just asking someone to glean
all your good ideas, and then if they create something that's
successful it'll be up to YOU to prove they stole it. Good luck with
that.

That being said..."Avatar" was the most cliched, derivative piece of
dreck I've ever seen. None of the characters were in the least
interesting or sympathetic, and the story is such an old chestnut it
has mold growing on it. How it became the #1 film of all time is
beyond me. I have yet to talk to anyone who even liked the film.

EGK

Jun 15, 2010, 5:59:39 PM6/15/10
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 14:44:41 -0700 (PDT), Sarah B <sarah...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>That being said..."Avatar" was the most cliched, derivative piece of
>dreck I've ever seen. None of the characters were in the least
>interesting or sympathetic, and the story is such an old chestnut it
>has mold growing on it. How it became the #1 film of all time is
>beyond me. I have yet to talk to anyone who even liked the film.

Oh, boy did you leave yourself open to the ire of the fanboys and girls. -:)
I agree with you completely about the story.
The cinematography of Avatar was terrific though and I think many people
are blinded by that. I, personally, need a better story than what Avatar
provided me with. Special effects driven movies have often made tons of
money without a good story. Transformers is a good example.

The Starmaker

Jun 15, 2010, 6:03:29 PM6/15/10

Well most people who saw the film didn't like it, ...they just liked to watch it.

It's like looking at a naked girl you don't like...

Most of the girls I see in Playboy, I don't really like them....
I just like to look at them.

Sometimes, people go to bed with people they don't like..

And a lot of people go to see movies they *know* they are not going to like.

The Starmaker

And...this #1 thing is all hype...

Every movie that comes out every week is the number one movie...then it hits to #2.

#1 in terms of what?

The Starmaker

Jun 15, 2010, 6:10:03 PM6/15/10

How you 'express your idea' is legally your property and is copyright protected.
Illustration are ideas, expressed.

and besides, ...why would lawyers take copyright cases?

New Filing -- Eddie Murphy
Patrick brothers v. Murphy. Pair of scriptwriters say their script was
the basis of hit film, "The Nutty Professor." New Filing CD California.
Full Story -- New Filing November 1996
Backdraft Ruling
Burns, Zoll v. Imagine Films, MCA, Universal. Two Buffalo firefighters
who say significant parts of their screenplays wound up in "Backdraft"
appear to have won a default judgment on liability based on defendants'
"willful bad faith" and failure to produce documents. Ruling WD New
York. Full Story Art New Filing August 1996
Golan Says Wrongly Fired From Film Co.
Producer says he was wrongly fired, manhandled from office, defamed and
bilked of credit and fee; says deft.'s lawyer then refused to draft
settlement unless hired to produce Golan's next film Full Story Film
New Filing August 1999
New File – Niss
Niss v. 1,200 cable companies. Son of author of "Pendulum," who in
related action is claiming ownership, seeks class status for cablers who
rebroadcast HBO showing of the movie; he notes that defendants are
indemnified by HBO. New Filing SD New York. Full Story Film New
Filing July 2000
New Filing – “Clockstoppers”
Santa Fe Entertainment v. Paramount Pictures. The owners of a motion
picture screenplay “It’s About Time” claim that Paramount Pictures
copied without authorization all aspects of their script in its creation
of the film “Clockstoppers.” New Filing CD California. Full Story Film
New Filing June 2003
New Filing – “Freakshow”
Nick Griffin, Mike Ferrucci v. Miramax Film Corp. The authors of a
horror film screenplay entitled “Freakshow” claim that Miramax’s 2002
film, “Halloween Resurrection” copied without authorization creative
elements from the screenplay. New Filing CD California. Full Story
Film New Filing May 2003
New Filing – “Gang of Roses”
Lite Stone Entertainment v. DEJ Productions, Roses and Guns Productions,
et al. The owner of the motion picture screenplay “Jessie’s Girl” claims
the producers of the movie “Gang of Roses” copied the plot and
characters of the screenplay to create their movie. New Filing CD
California. Full Story Film New Filing January 2004
New Filing - “Ota Benga” Rights
Roland Films v. Schwab. Indie film company seeks to enforce option on
screenplay “Ota Benga” after disagreement with writer about whether the
option expired or was extended. New Filing SD New York. Full Story
Film New Filing January 2002
New Filing – “The Quest”
Dux v. Van Damme. Martial arts expert says action star didn’t pay agreed
fee for consulting, creating the story for “The Quest.” New Filing LA
Superior. Full Story Film New Filing April 1997
New Filing – “The Red Door”
Saffron v. Praxis. Producer says he has not been paid his fee or given
his credit for film based on the screenplay “The Red Door.” New Filing
CD California. Full Story Film New Filing February 2002
New Filing – “X-Men” Book
David Hayter v. Twentieth Century Fox, Newmarket Press. Screenwriter
claims Twentieth Century Fox and Newmarket Press failed to ensure that
he received credit for his contributions to the motion picture “X-Men 2”
in a book published about the film. New Filing CD California. Full
Story Film New Filing June 2003
New Filing – Agent 008
Carlos Jackson v. Various Universal execs. Man claims he dropped earlier
lawsuit against Universal based on promises by execs to help his career,
develop his "Agent 008" script, but execs allegedly reneged. New Filing
LA Superior. Full Story Film New Filing August 2000
New Filing – Air Bud
Mendelson, Tamasy v. Malvan Productions, Keystone Entertainment. Writers
of “Air Bud” and its sequel allege they have not received the “net
profits” they were promised and have been cut out of third “Air Bud”
film. New Filing LA Superior. Full Story Film New Filing April 2001
New Filing – Air Bud
Barry Perelman Enterprises v. Keystone. Producer says film company dealt
him out of deal to make "Air Bud." New Filing LA Superior. Full Story
Film New Filing January 1998
New Filing – Alpha Dog
Initial Entertainment v. Nicholas Cassavetes. Film company says writer
hired to help with movie “Alpha Dog” has asserted ownership interest in
the screenplay. New Filing LA Superior. Full Story Film New Filing
December 2004
New Filing – Artist Management
Alcon v. AMG. Film production company wants refund of money it spent on
rights to inspiring true story of integrated 1955 Alabama Little League
team after learning that the story was not true. New Filing LA Superior.
Full Story Film New Filing June 2002
New Filing – Asylum
Schwartz v. Sealskin. Scriptwriter says his former partner took a
jointly written screenplay for “Asylum” and sold it as his own. New
Filing LA Superior. Full Story Film New Filing December 1996
New Filing – Barbershop
MGM v. Mark Brown, Beauty Shop LLC. Lawsuit filed over “Beauty Shop,”
allegedly an unauthorized spin-off from the “Barbershop franchise.” New
Filing CD California. Full Story Film New Filing January 2004
New Filing – Castle Rock
Morris, Richert v. Castle Rock, Sorkin, WGA. Two writers who say their
treatment was the basis of “The American President” and who sought
writer credits allege that the Writers Guild fouled up their challenge
and wrongly waived their rights. New Filing SD New York. Full Story
Film New Filing November 2001
New Filing – Clive Cussler
Clive Cussler v. Crusader Entertainment. Author says production company
has failed to recognize his contractually-required approval rights over
screenplay adaptation of one of his novels, and anyway is taking too
long about it. New Filing LA Superior. Full Story Film New Filing
February 2004
New Filing -- Crimson Tide
Waid v. Disney. Former USN sub captain says his script was the basis for
Crimson Tide. New Filing LA Superior. Full Story Film New Filing
September 1996
New Filing – Dadon
David Dadon v. Avi Lerner, et al. Producers says he helped get "The
Replicant" off the ground, but didn't get his $150,000 or producer
credit. New Filing LA Superior. Full Story Film New Filing July 2000
New Filing – Dante’s Peak
Hines, Jones v. Universal. Two writers say the script for “Dante’s Peak
“ was copied from a script they submitted in 1995. New Filing CD
California. Full Story Film New Filing March 1997
New Filing – Don Juan Demarco
Laskay v. New Line, American Zoetrope. Writer who bought English
language rights to "Man Facing Southeast" says studios stole concept and
script. New Filing LA Superior. Removal CD California. Full Story Film
New Filing May 1997
New Filing – Drumline
Darryl Lassiter v. Fox. Writer says “Drumline” was copied from his
movie, “Pay the Price,” about Black college marching bands. New Filing
SD New York. Full Story

New Filing – Drumline
Darryl D. Lassiter, 2 Believers Productions, et al. v. Twentieth Century
Fox Films, Fox Entertainment Group. Screenwriter claims that studios
copied several elements from his screenplay and movie “Pay the Price” to
create the motion picture “Drumline.” New Filing SD New York. Full
Story Film New Filing September 2004
New Filing – End Game
Sean Connery v. Peter Guber, Mandalay Pictures. Actor alleges production
company promised him $17 million to be in film “End Game” and kept
stringing him along even when they could not finance the film in order
to maintain the appearance of viability. New Filing LA Superior. Full
Story Film New Filing October 2002
New Filing -- Exit Zero
Butler v. Wimmer. Writer sues collaborator who allegedly took
unfinished, co-written script, reworked it and sold it for own benefit.
New Filing LA Superior. Full Story Film New Filing November 1996
New Filing – Film Script
Michael Fry v. Estate of Sagan. Writer says he pitched script to son of
Carl Sagan, who sold similar script to 20th Century Fox. New Filing CD
California. Full Story Film New Filing April 1997
New Filing – Frequency
Selby v. New Line, Emmerich. Writer claims film "Frequency" is
substantially similar to his screenplay "Doubletime." New Filing CD
California. Full Story Film New Filing April 2000
New Filing – Harry Shearer
Bernhard/Robson v. Rosenfeld, Meyer & Susman. Producer files malpractice
case saying firm botched negotiations and then arbitration with Harry
Shearer over comedy script. New Filing LA Superior. Full Story Film
New Filing July 1998
New Filing – Have Gun Will Travel
Paladin V. Time Warner. Producers allege Warner reneged on deal to do
"Have Gun Will Travel" movie. New Filing LA Superior. Full Story Film
New Filing April 1999
New Filing – Hearsay
Hearsay v. World International. Defendant may have had right to take
over production of film “Hearsay,” but has so changed the content as to
have infringed on the copyright, suit alleges. New Filing CD California.
Full Story Film New Filing August 2001
New Filing – Howard Hughes
Charles Evans v. New Line Cinema. Producer says he worked years on movie
about billionaire Howard Hughes, only to get cut out of the deal. New
Filing LA Superior. Full Story Film New Filing February 2001
New Filing – Jackson Pollack
Ruth Kligman v. Pollack Film, Ed Harris, et al. Artist and lover of the
late Jackson Pollack alleges that makers of the movie "Pollack" stole
from her memoir/screenplay. New Filing SD New York. Full Story Film
New Filing October 2000
New Filing -- Kushner Locke
Chapin v. Kushner-Locke. Writer says KL fraudulently induced him to sign
away his rights to a script called "Cutthroat." New Filing LA Superior.
Full Story Film New Filing September 1996
New filing – Lancit
AsIs, Lancit v. Prospero Entertainment. Plaintiffs was declaration that
they, not defendant, are owners of exclusive screenplay and film rights
to the Lois Lowry book “The Giver.” New Filing CD California. Full
Story Film New Filing July 2001
New Filing – League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Martin Poll, Larry Cohen v. Fox. Producer and writer claim $100 million
in damages after studio allegedly copies their screenplay to create the
2003 film, “League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.” New Filing CD
California. Full Story Film New Filing November 2003
New Filing – Man Facing Southeast
Jason Laskay v. MCA/Universal. Screenwriter claims “K-Pax” was copied
from screenplay he owns, “Man Facing Southeast.” New Filing CD
California. Full Story Film New Filing January 2002
New Filing – Maximum Risk
Bloom v. Ferguson. Screenwriter accuses writer of “Maximum Risk” of
plagiarising from his script, “Chain Reaction.” New Filing LA Superior.
Full Story Film New Filing April 1997
New Filing – McKenzie
Margaret McKenzie v. Paramount et al. The film “Lucky Numbers” infringes
on the plaintiff’s screenplay “Money Trouble,” suit alleges. New Filing
SD Florida. Full Story Film New Filing April 2001
New Filing – Mike Myers
Universal v. Mike Myers. Studio says actor agreed to do film based on
his comic character "Dieter," demanded more money and points after the
success of "The Spy Who Shagged Me," spent millions, then decided
against doing the movie. New Filing LA Superior. Full Story Film New
Filing June 2000
New Filing - Mimic
Glenn Willis v. Disney. Among other similarities, three-year gestation
period for giant cockroaches is evidence Disney copied script submitted
with internship application in making "Mimic," writer alleges. Full
Story Film New Filing December 1999
New Filing -- Money Train
Masters v. Sony. A writer says the movie "Money Train" is based on the
screenplay Sony optioned from him in 1988. New Filing LA Superior. Full
Story Film New Filing October 1996
New Filing - My Best Friend's Wedding
Barbara Friedkin v. The Cartel Group. Woman says she wrote first draft
of "My Best Friend's Wedding," in part because she had agreed to marry a
college sweetheart if not married by 40, but was dumped from project.
Full Story Film New Filing December 1999
New Filing -- New Line "Easy Woman"
Worth v. New Line. Producer sues New Line for allegedly reneging on deal
to pay him to make the film "Easy Woman." New Filing LA Superior. Full
Story Film New Filing September 1996
New Filing – Northern Ireland
O’Connor v. DreamWorks. Producer says comedy “An Everlasting Piece” was
smothered by studio, at the behest of the British government, “in
indirect support of that government’s military and political occupation
of the North of Ireland.” New Filing CD California. Full Story Film
New Filing May 2001
New Filing – Notting Hill
Nick Villiers v. Eric Fellner et al. Writer says long-time friend and
producer used his ideas for a movie to be called "Cheeks" as part of the
hit "Notting Hill." New Filing LA Superior. Full Story Film New
Filing October 2000
New Filing – Open Range
Howard Dratch v. Craig Storper, Kevin Costner, Buena Vista Pictures.
Producer says he worked for two years on the film “Open Range,” but was
cut out of his promised role once the project got going. New Filing LA
Superior. Full Story Film New Filing October 2002
New Filing – Organ Donor
Katz, Brooks v. Schneider, Schneider. Writers allege actor and his
brother promised to market their script “The Organ Donor” but marketed a
different, but similar project. New Filing LA Superior Court. Full Story

New Filing -- Pearl Harbor
Gary Compton v. Disney, Bruckheimer, Bay et al. Author says “Pearl
Harbor” infringes on his romantic screenplay “Pearl Harbor Love.” New
Filing CD California. Full Story Film New Filing June 2004
New Filing – Personals
Carol Gun v. Michael Sargent. Woman says man brought her in to make
contacts and raise money for film project "Personals" but never paid her
or gave her a role in the project as promised. New Filing NY Supreme.
Full Story Film New Filing February 1999
New Filing – Pink Panther
Richlin v. MGM. The heirs of a co-creator of “The Pink Panther” are
seeking to establish ownership rights to half the copyright upon the
film, its story, and characters. New Filing CD California. Full Story
Film New Filing November 2004
New Filing – Pinocchio
Pinocchio II Productions v. Sneller. Defendant's campaign of letters
claiming rescission of rights to "New Adventure of Pinocchio" screenplay
is interfering with exploitation of film. New Filing CD California. Full
Story Film New Filing July 2000
New Filing – Ransom
Ann Morgan v. Touchstone, Disney. Writer says the film "Ransom" is based
on her screenplays. New Filing LA Superior. Full Story Film New
Filing December 1998
New Filing - RKO
RKO v. Beatrice Welles. RKO says Orson Welles' daughter is objecting to
remake of "The Magnificent Ambersons"; seeks declaration that RKO has
all rights. Full Story Film New Filing October 1999
New Filing – Robert Downey Jr. & Sr.
Richard Finney, Terence Michael v. Robert Downey, Jr., Robert Downey,
Sr. Actor and director were paid $250,000 to deliver screenplay within
four months, but never delivered, suit alleges. New Filing LA Superior.
Full Story Film New Filing July 2000
New Filing – Shade
Jennifer Silver v. RKO Pictures, Card Mechanics Productions. Producer
claims studios failed to provide her with credit or compensation after
releasing the movie “Shade” based on her screenplay. New Filing CD
California. Full Story Film New Filing August 2004
New Filing - Shakespeare in Love
Faye Kellerman v. Miramax, Universal. Bestselling author alleges
"Shakespeare in Love" is based on her 1989 novel "The Quality of Mercy."
New Filing CD California. Full Story Film New Filing March 1999
New Filing – Signs
Trilenium v. Disney. Coincidences between movie “Signs” and plaintiffs’
script “Lord of the Barrens: The Jersey Devil” were too numerous to be
mere coincidence, suit alleges. New Filing CD California. Full Story
Film New Filing September 2003
New Filing – Spider-Man
Newsom v. Columbia Pictures. Author of 1985 “Spider-Man” script says his
material was used in hit 2002 “Spider-Man” movie without credit or
payment. New Filing LA Superior. Full Story Film New Filing April
2003
New Filing – Star Trek
N. Barry Carver v. Paramount. Writer says the similarities of "Star
Trek: First Contact" to the script "A Stitch in Time," which he
submitted to Paramount in 1991, are "bizarrely striking." New Filing CD
California. Full Story Film New Filing January 1999
New Filing - Tarantino Script
Craig Hamann, Expletive Entertainment v. Quentin Tarantino. Writer says
Tarantino is trying to stop him from exploiting decade-old script the
two co-wrote. New Filing CD California. Full Story Film New Filing
August 1996
New Filing – Tartikoff
Millennium v. Markowitz. Plaintiff says it prepaid defendant $187,500
for screenplay about Brandon Tartikoff; failure to deliver showed not
only breach, but fraud, suit says. New Filing LA Superior; Removal CD
California. Full Story Film New Filing April 2000
New Filing – The Cell
Mattson v. Protosevich, New Line. Writer says his idea and screenplay
for a movie about a female therapist entering the mind of a comatose
patient were used to make "The Cell." New Filing LA Superior. Full
Story Film New Filing September 2000
New Filing – The Deskman
Estrella v. Neo Motion Pictures et al. Author of screenplay "The
Deskman" says TV movie "Suckers" infringes on his work. New Filing CD
California.ntlawdigest.com Full Story Film New Filing September 2000
New Filing – The Last Samurai
Michael Alan Eddy v. Radar Pictures, Interscope, Warner Bros., WGA.
Writer who says he was first of six to work on “The Last Samurai” claims
the film’s producers and the WGA prevented him from receiving the proper
credit due to him the other early writers for their work on the project.
New Filing CD California. Full Story Film New Filing February 2004
New Filing -- The Long Ride
Martin Ransohoff v. Paramount. Producer says studio chief refused to
approve anyone to direct "The Long Ride" except her husband. New Filing
LA Superior. Full Story Film New Filing December 2004
New Filing – The Truman Show
Mowry v. Scott Rudin, Viacom. Writer alleges that the movie “The Truman
Show” is so similar to the screenplay he submitted to the defendants
that it must have been copied. New Filing SD New York. Full Story Film
New Filing May 2003
New Filing – The Whole Shebang
Jeff Rothberg v. Big W Pruductions et al. Plaintiff seeks enforcement of
arbitration award saying defendant filmmakers have no rights to story
“The Whole Shebang” until they pay Rothberg under option agreement. New
Filing CD California. Full Story Film New Filing August 2001
New Filing – Tomorrow Never Dies
Howard, Beutler, Schlossberg-Cohen v. Danjaq et al. Baltimore
scriptwriters claim latest Bond flick copied their script "Currency of
Fear." We print description of similarities in full. New Filing CD
California. Full Story Film New Filing January 1998
New Filing - Travolta
Liteoffer, Mandalay v. John Travolta. Liteoffer and Mandalay sue
Travolta, saying the actor walked away from a role in the film "Double,"
"because his ego had been bruised." New Filing LA Superior. Full Story
Film New Filing August 1996
New Filing - Ulterior Motive
Production company says Fox broke deal to return rights to screenplay
for "Ulterior Motives" after deciding not to make film. Full Story
Film New Filing September 1999
New Filing – Van Daalen
Van Daalen v. Paramount, Resnick. Playwright wants his share of payoff
from film "Lucky Numbers," about a 1980 Pennsylvania lottery scam,
saying it infringes on his play "Trust Me." Full Story Film New
Filing November 2000
New Filing – Walking Across Egypt
Vicky Rocco v. Tamasy, Bell. Writer says her script was ripped off for
the new movie, "Walking Across Egypt." New Filing CD California. Full
Story Film New Filing May 1999

Area Type Issue
New Filing – Wedding Planner
Ballard v. Sony. Writer says 2001 comedy “The Wedding Planner” is
strikingly similar to his 1995 script “In the Palm of my Hand.” New
Filing ED Virginia. Full Story Film New Filing January 2004
New Filing – White Man’s Burden
Elena Mareno v. Miramax et al. New York woman alleges "White Man's
Burden" is based on her treatment and screenplay. New Filing SD New
York. Full Story Film New Filing January 1999
New Filing – Zappa’s 200 Motels
Zappa Family v. MGM. Heirs to late musician Frank Zappa allege that his
1971 movie “200 Motels” was not a “work for hire” and that the copyright
and renewal term have reverted to them. New Filing CD California. Full
Story Film New Filing July 2001
New Filing – Ziobro
Ziobro v. Skulls Productions. The movie “The Skulls” is allegedly nearly
identical to a story written by the plaintiff, suit claims. New Filing
CD California. Full Story Film New Filing March 2002
Ruling – “Like Water For Chocolate”
Esquivel v. Arau. Judge boots “Like Water for Chocolate” author’s suit
v. filmmaker, saying Mexico is better forum. Ruling NY Supreme Court.
Full Story Film New Filing January 1997
Ruling – Anaconda
Douglas v. Sony. Judge sanctions plaintiff counsel for seeking TRO in
copying case over "Anaconda" without asking for or seeing script. Ruling
CD California. Full Story Film New Filing May 1997
Ruling – Briarpatch
Briarpatch et al v. Phoenix et al. Federal court jurisdiction
appropriate in “Thin Red Line” case. Ruling 2nd Circuit. Full Story
Film Ruling August 2004
Ruling – Coming to America
Folke, Atnafu v. Paramount, Eddie Murphy. In short summary judgment
order, judge rules no reasonable trier of fact could find plaintiffs'
script similar to "Coming to America"; tosses case. Ruling SD New York.
Full Story Film New Filing February 1998
Ruling – Dante’s Peak
Hines, Jones v. Universal. Judges grants summary judgment for Universal
finding that "Dante's Peak" bore little resemblance to plaintiffs'
volcano script "Fire and Ice." Ruling CD California. Full Story Film
New Filing January 1998
Ruling – Godfather III
Nick Marino v. Kenoff & Machtinger. Upholding judgment for the defense
in malpractice case, appeals court deals yet another blow to long
unsuccessful litigant who claims he should have received screen credit
on “Godfather III.” Ruling California Court of Appeal. Full Story Film
New Filing December 2001
Ruling - Horrors
Shoptalk v. Concorde. Release of a film constitutes publications of
whatever portions of the underlying screenplay were used, the 2nd
Circuit says, following reasoning of 9th Circuit decision. Ruling 2nd
Circuit. Full Story Film New Filing April 1999
Ruling – Impact Pictures
May-Zur v. Dadon. Oral testimony, if credible, is sufficient to prove a
wire transfer was made, court says in decision over aborted $35,000
movie deal. Ruling California Court of Appeal. Full Story Film New
Filing October 2003
Ruling – James Bond
Danjaq v. Sony. In last gasp of James Bond litigation, court says laches
bars copyright claim for newly released DVDs of Bond films since
allegedly infringing material on DVD is the same as the original film.
Ruling 9th Circuit. Full Story Film New Filing August 2001
Ruling – Jingle All The Way
Murray Hill v. Fox. Jury verdict awarding damages for alleged copying of
another screenplay in film “Jingle All The Way” not supportable given
ruling that original treatment for “Jingle” could not have been copied.
Ruling 6th Circuit. Full Story Film Ruling April 2004
Ruling - Lone Star
Herzog v. Sayles. Circuit agrees with district court that attending film
festival at same time as someone else is not a strong link in a chain of
access; upholds dismissal of "Lone Star" infringement suit. Full Story
Film New Filing November 1999
Ruling - Malcolm X
Aalmuhammed v. Lee, Warner Bros. Dispute over consultant's claim of
co-authorship of movie "Malcolm X," prompts discussion of who exactly is
the "author" of a movie; consultant loses copyright claim. Full Story
Film New Filing February 2000
Ruling – McClintock
Batjac v. Goodtimes, Register of Copyrights. Circuit gives thumbs down
to movie co.'s attempt to resurrect unrenewed copyright in "McClintock!"
by registering two intermediate drafts of screenplay and suing for
infringement of them. Ruling 9th Circuit. Full Story Film New Filing
January 1999
Ruling – Pan and Scan
Batjac v. UAV. In case of first impression, Los Angeles judge finds that
the "pan-and-scan" reduction of the film "McClintock" from wide-screen
to video format is sufficiently original to warrant copyright
protection. Ruling CD California. Full Story Film New Filing June
2000
Ruling – Polydoros
Polydoros v. Twentieth Century Fox. Non-celebrity whose name and
likeness were used in a fictional movie about sandlot baseball has no
invasion of privacy, negligence or defamation claim. Ruling California
Court of Appeal. Full Story Film New Filing October 1997
Ruling – Regarding Henry
Joan and John Cox v. Paramount. Indiana couple lose claim that
"Regarding Henry" was based on wife's unpublished manuscript of book
about husband's motorcycle accident. Ruling SD New York. Full Story
Film New Filing July 1997
Ruling – Rounders
Grosso v. Miramax. Screenwriter’s claim that the ideas for “Rounders”
were stolen from his screenplay, “The Shell Game,” survive as breach of
implied contract claim, though not as copyright claim. Ruling 9th
Circuit. Full Story Film Ruling October 2004
Ruling – Set it Off
Christopher Robinson v. New Line Cinema. Circuit overturns summary
judgment for defense over alleged copying of script for "Set It Off,"
saying theory of access and claim of similarity were not so far-fetched
as to permit dismissal. Ruling 4th Circuit. Full Story Film New
Filing June 2000
Ruling – Stepmom
Silvers v. Sony. In case of first impression, court in “Stepmom”
plagiarism suit says assignment of copyright cause of action without
underlying copyright is valid. Ruling 9th Circuit. Full Story Film New
Filing July 2003
Ruling – Streetscenes
Streetscenes et al. v. ITC Entertainment, Inc. et al. Citing speculative
value of unmade entertainment products, court reverses part of damage
award in case where production company was found liable for behavior of
individual producer; does not reverse punitive award, however, saying
remand would only “kill more trees” confirming defendants’ bad behavior.
Ruling California Court of Appeal. Full Story Film New Filing January
2003
Ruling – Stromback
Stromback v. New Line. Plaintiff’s dark and humorless screenplay
adaptation of his own poem is not substantially similar to defendants’
Adam Sandler-starring comedy “Little Nicky.” Ruling 6th Circuit. Full
Story

Ruling – The Catcher
Bencich, Friedman v. Hoffman. Authorship of treatment vests writer with
co-authorship of resulting script and, absent other arrangements,
separate right to license script to be made into film. Ruling DC
Arizona. Full Story Film New Filing June 2000
Ruling – The Negotiator
Sam Bailey v. New Regency, et al. Plaintiff who said "The Negotiator"
infringed on his script failed to present

YKW

Jun 15, 2010, 6:10:09 PM6/15/10
Will Dockery <will.d...@gmail.com> wrote in

> Yes, it will be interesting to see how this one turns out.
>
> http://blog.taragana.com/e/2010/05/20/james-cameron-accused-of-plagiari
> sm-128283/
>
> "...Writer Kelly Van has claimed that Cameron based the movie on her
> online book "Sheila the Warrior: The Damned".
>
> However, Cameron insists he's never seen the story, but Van has filed
> papers alleging that both the director and the movie studio 20th
> Century Fox plagiarised her plot and character details.
>
> She claims the "demeanour", "attire", "motions" and "powers/rituals"
> of the Na'vi characters, as well as the "settings" and "scenes" are
> based entirely on her work, reports imdb.com..."

Considering how much of the -movie- is a remake of FERNGULLY, I wonder
just how original =Van's= work is...

--
------------------- ------------------------------------------------
|| E-mail: ykw2006 ||"The mystery of government is not how Washington||

-- The One, 14 Oct 08

Invid Fan

Jun 15, 2010, 6:24:03 PM6/15/10
In article <ptof169a79j7anf6p...@4ax.com>, EGK
<m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> It's not like it's the first time Cameron's movies have faced lawsuits of
> this kind. Both The Terminator and his TV series Dark Angel owed a lot to
> others. Harlan Ellison wrote a stories similar to The Terminator for The
> Outer Limits and Robert Heinlein wrote a book, Friday, very similar to Dark
> Angel.

Cameron bought the rights to the anime Battle Angel while in pre
production with Dark Angel, but I can't say I watched Dark Angel enough
to know what if anything he took from it apart from maybe some visual
imagery.

--
Chris Mack "If we show any weakness, the monsters will get cocky!"
'Invid Fan' - 'Yokai Monsters Along With Ghosts'

Anim8rFSK

Jun 15, 2010, 6:24:13 PM6/15/10
In article <fnrf16990688ep84h...@4ax.com>,
David Johnston <da...@block.net> wrote:

Longest most boring novella *ever*

--
TOM SWIFT 100th Anniversary convention! July 16-18 2010, San Diego, CA
TS100 Convention site: http://www.TomSwiftEnterprises.com

The Starmaker

Jun 15, 2010, 6:29:40 PM6/15/10

The way the movie industry works...
someone has an 'idea' for a movie..
then the studios back up that 'idea' with
millions of dollars to make the movie.

Most of the time...the person who
"initiated" the 'idea' doesn't get
compensated, ...only the one who
stole the idea gets paid.

The movie Avatar could not exist without
the person who "initiated" the idea.

James Cameron didn't initiated the idea, he stole it from
the person who initiated it.

Who should get paid, the person who "initiated" the idea, or the person
who took it from him?

The Starmaker

initiate

1. to begin or originate: to cause or facilitate the beginning of.

Invid Fan

Jun 15, 2010, 6:29:59 PM6/15/10
In article
<9f39e278-43c0-40fe...@x27g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
Sarah B <sarah...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The last thing you want to do if you have a good, intriguing idea is
> write a novel about it and publish it on the Internet. It's way too
> easy for anybody to steal your ideas, rewrite them, and claim them as
> their own. Better to publish the novel using the standard methods, or
> even some of the new ones available (Amazon publish on demand, for
> example). Publishing on the Internet is just asking someone to glean
> all your good ideas, and then if they create something that's
> successful it'll be up to YOU to prove they stole it. Good luck with
> that.

Actually that's a case of why producers shouldn't read online fiction,
as sooner or later you'll find something already there close to your
next project and be open to the charge of ripping them off.

> That being said..."Avatar" was the most cliched, derivative piece of
> dreck I've ever seen. None of the characters were in the least
> interesting or sympathetic, and the story is such an old chestnut it
> has mold growing on it. How it became the #1 film of all time is
> beyond me. I have yet to talk to anyone who even liked the film.

I enjoyed it because I accepted it for what it was, and it entertained.
Cliches are fine if done right, and to me they were (after all, they
got to be cliches because they worked and everyone started doing them).
A classic film in any way apart from the way the original Jazz Singer
is? No. But it's enjoyable and I saw it a couple time in Imax.

Thanatos

Jun 15, 2010, 6:45:08 PM6/15/10
In article <ANIM8Rfsk-C5CD0...@news.dc1.easynews.com>,
Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote:

> In article <fnrf16990688ep84h...@4ax.com>,
> David Johnston <da...@block.net> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 12:00:06 -0700 (PDT), Will Dockery
> > <will.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Yes, it will be interesting to see how this one turns out.
> > >
> > >http://blog.taragana.com/e/2010/05/20/james-cameron-accused-of-plagiarism-1
> > >28
> > >283/
> > >
> > >"...Writer Kelly Van has claimed that Cameron based the movie on her
> > >online book “Sheila the Warrior: The Damned”.
> > >
> > >However, Cameron insists he’s never seen the story, but Van has filed
> > >papers alleging that both the director and the movie studio 20th
> > >Century Fox plagiarised her plot and character details.
> > >
> > >She claims the “demeanour”, “attire”, “motions” and “powers/rituals”
> > >of the Na’vi characters, as well as the “settings” and “scenes” are
> > >based entirely on her work, reports imdb.com..."
> >
> > Boy, Sheila the Warrior must have been an awful lot like "The Word For
> > World Is Forest".
>
> Longest most boring novella *ever*

If it was overly long, then it wasn't a novella. It was a novel. ;-)

Thanatos

Jun 15, 2010, 6:46:43 PM6/15/10
In article <4C17F...@ix.netcom.com>,
The Starmaker <star...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

Why are you replying to yourself?

Thanatos

Jun 15, 2010, 6:48:48 PM6/15/10
In article <4C17EB...@ix.netcom.com>,
The Starmaker <star...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> inspiration? You mean...theft. Stealing other's people property is not
> called...inspiration, it's called theft.

> Not giving credit means, not telling anyone where you stole it from.

> What kind of world you people live in?

The one where the Supreme Court has ruled that infringement of
intellectual property is NOT "theft" or "stealing". It's infringement,
which is an entirely different thing altogether.

The Starmaker

Jun 15, 2010, 7:10:54 PM6/15/10

then....

...the person who
"initiated" the 'idea' doesn't get
compensated, ...only the one who
stole the idea gets paid.

The movie Avatar could not exist without
the person who "initiated" the idea.

James Cameron didn't initiated the idea, he stole it from
the person who initiated it.

Who should get paid, the person who "initiated" the idea, or the person
who took it from him?

The Starmaker

initiate

1. to begin or originate: to cause or facilitate the beginning of.

The best way for the lawyers hired to sue is not to go after James Cameron...get
the names of the artist who did the actual illustrations of the blue people and ask
them what did they use for reference..

right now James Cameron is probably *burning* the drawings used for references...

The Starmaker

David Johnston

Jun 15, 2010, 7:16:06 PM6/15/10
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 15:10:03 -0700, The Starmaker
<star...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>David Johnston wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 14:08:03 -0700, The Starmaker
>> <star...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>> >inspiration? You mean...theft. Stealing other's people property
>>
>> Ideas are not property and can not be stolen. Trademarks are
>> property. Entire books are property. But ideas are not property.
>
>How you 'express your idea' is legally your property and is copyright protected.

Yup. This is determined not on the basis of duplication of the
general idea (Hot artificial chicks date back to Metropolis in 1928
and are virtually cliche in Japan) but on the duplication of specific
details. Lines of dialog, physical descriptions, specific plot
twists. Max has a radically different history than Friday, as well as
a different personality, a different boyfriend, and a different job.
The only thing she has in common is that they are both grown by a
government in a vat, in a troubled American future.

>Illustration are ideas, expressed.
>
>and besides, ...why would lawyers take copyright cases?

Because, win or lose, they make money. Every really successful movie
gets a copyright lawsuit. Almost always, the lawsuits are crap filed
by attention seekers and guys looking for an out-of-court nuisance
settlement. But that doesn't mean the lawyer didn't make money out of
them.

Howard Brazee

Jun 15, 2010, 7:32:47 PM6/15/10
<sarah...@gmail.com> wrote:

>That being said..."Avatar" was the most cliched, derivative piece of
>dreck I've ever seen. None of the characters were in the least
>interesting or sympathetic, and the story is such an old chestnut it
>has mold growing on it. How it became the #1 film of all time is
>beyond me. I have yet to talk to anyone who even liked the film.

I take that to be hyperbole. It doesn't take a lot of looking to
find more cliched derivative dreck. Or characters we care less
about.

- James Madison

The Starmaker

Jun 15, 2010, 7:34:47 PM6/15/10

Infringement means to 'break a law', and you break a law by stealing.

EGK

Jun 15, 2010, 7:39:19 PM6/15/10
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 23:16:06 GMT, David Johnston <da...@block.net> wrote:

>Yup. This is determined not on the basis of duplication of the
>general idea (Hot artificial chicks date back to Metropolis in 1928
>and are virtually cliche in Japan) but on the duplication of specific
>details. Lines of dialog, physical descriptions, specific plot
>twists. Max has a radically different history than Friday, as well as
>a different personality, a different boyfriend, and a different job.
>The only thing she has in common is that they are both grown by a
>government in a vat, in a troubled American future.

Those are pretty big similarities though. Plus tho their jobs were
different they were both couriers and the main sense of feeling alienated
and looking for acceptance was the same.

As it turned out, Cameron would have been better off going all the way and
doing Friday. Dark Angel pretty much sucked beyond the telling of it after
the first few episodes and when they paired her up with the boyfriend.. It
got old fast.

The Starmaker

Jun 15, 2010, 7:45:08 PM6/15/10

Where is the storyboard artist? James Cameron cannot get every artist
involved to lie for him...

It's not possible...

The Starmaker

Thanatos

Jun 15, 2010, 7:59:25 PM6/15/10
In article <4C180E...@ix.netcom.com>,
The Starmaker <star...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Thanatos wrote:
> >
> > In article <4C17EB...@ix.netcom.com>,
> > The Starmaker <star...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> >
> > > inspiration? You mean...theft. Stealing other's people property
> > > is not called...inspiration, it's called theft.
> >
> > > Not giving credit means, not telling anyone where you stole
> > > it from.
> >
> > > What kind of world you people live in?
> >
> > The one where the Supreme Court has ruled that infringement of
> > intellectual property is NOT "theft" or "stealing". It's
> > infringement, which is an entirely different thing altogether.
>
> Infringement means to 'break a law',

No, it really doesn't. Per the Supreme Court, whose legal acumen I trust
just a little bit more than yours.

Thanatos

Jun 15, 2010, 7:59:55 PM6/15/10
In article <4C1808...@ix.netcom.com>,
The Starmaker <star...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

So no answer then?

Anim8rFSK

Jun 15, 2010, 9:01:33 PM6/15/10
In article <atropos-B2B9A1...@news.giganews.com>,
Thanatos <atr...@mac.com> wrote:

It's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it.

The Starmaker

Jun 15, 2010, 9:38:03 PM6/15/10

You're interfering with my...daily broadcast..

thennnnn....

[...]

What most people don't understand is that *in* Hollywood, "ideas" are a
'commodity'.

Like coffee, milk, copper...

The Starmaker

Jun 15, 2010, 10:10:33 PM6/15/10

Look it up!
infringement (plural infringements)

1. a violation or breach, as of a law

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/infringement

Break or violate a treaty, a law, a right etc.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/infringe

Thanatos

Jun 15, 2010, 10:31:52 PM6/15/10
In article <4C1832...@ix.netcom.com>,
The Starmaker <star...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Thanatos wrote:
> >
> > In article <4C180E...@ix.netcom.com>,
> > The Starmaker <star...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> > > Infringement means to 'break a law',
> >
> > No, it really doesn't. Per the Supreme Court, whose legal acumen I trust
> > just a little bit more than yours.
>
> Look it up!

I have. In a Supreme Court opinion, which carries far more legal weight
than your dictionary.

Will Dockery

Jun 15, 2010, 11:39:03 PM6/15/10
On Jun 15, 5:08 pm, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> EGK wrote:
>
> > It's not like it's the first time Cameron's movies have faced lawsuits of
> > this kind.   Both The Terminator and his TV series Dark Angel owed a lot to
> > others.   Harlan Ellison wrote a stories similar to The Terminator for The
> > Outer Limits and Robert Heinlein wrote a book, Friday, very similar to Dark
> > Angel.
>
> > There is a fine line between stealing and simply using something for
> > inspiration.   Ellison was a big enough name that his threats to sue got him
> > a credit for The Terminator as well as a settlement.
>
> > I like Cameron's movies for the most part and using other things for
> > inspiration is fine.   I think Cameron's ego often prevents him from giving
> > credit where it's due though.
>
> inspiration? You mean...theft. Stealing other's people property is not called...inspiration, it's called theft.
>
> Not giving credit means, not telling anyone where you stole it from.
>
> What kind of world you people live in?

Exactly the types of conversations we've been having for years over on
the poetry newsgroups.

--
"Shadowville Speedway" CD on Artemis Records:
http://www.artemisrecords.net/dockeryconley.html

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Charley

Jun 16, 2010, 10:16:18 AM6/16/10
On Jun 12, 8:25 pm, cloud dreamer <Climate.is.chang...@much.much.
2.fast> wrote:
> On 6/12/2010 9:50 PM, EGK wrote:
>

> > On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 21:34:14 -0230, cloud dreamer
> > <Climate.is.chang...@much.much.2.fast>  wrote:

> >> Again. There's a difference in what writers pitch and the ideas those
> >> pitches are based upon.
>
> > This thread was about a specific case of a script being sent to Cameron's
> > studio as well as others.   If the writer of that story can prove enough
> > similarities, Cameron better be able to show he really did start writing
> > Avatar back in 1996.   Well, I take that back, I would guess his deep
> > pockets and lawyers will be able to bury the guy whether he has a legitimate
> > case or not.
>
> > Since you obviously still never bothered to read the articles, you're
> > welcome to keep your head in the sand about it.
>
> Don't need to read the articles. You're comparing apples to oranges.
>
> Specific story line compared to an idea.
>
> They're not the same.
>
>   ..

You're still a fat asshole. Some things never change. We all know you
suffer from frozen brain syndrome living up in the cold. I guess that
massive head of yours never thaws out.

Charley

Jun 16, 2010, 10:18:41 AM6/16/10
On Jun 16, 9:19 am, trotsky <gmsi...@email.com> wrote:
> On 6/15/10 9:31 PM, Thanatos wrote:
>

> > In article<4C183299.7...@ix.netcom.com>,
> >   The Starmaker<starma...@ix.netcom.com>  wrote:

> >> Look it up!
>
> > I have. In a Supreme Court opinion, which carries far more legal weight
> > than your dictionary.
>
> Cite?

You're another liberal loser who lives for posting the most lame of
lame thoughts possible. Every reaction and thought that emanates from
that pea sized brain of yours is the same. Come douche bag, change
some things up already. Everyone is hanging on your last word because
you're such an existential poster....not.

rick++

Jun 16, 2010, 11:58:58 AM6/16/10
The statute of limitations for ancient Greek myths has long passed :-)
Several "strange tribe adoption" stories resemble Avatar.
Anyone who claims similar has been plagiarizing Greek myths too.

The Starmaker

Jun 16, 2010, 1:16:59 PM6/16/10

"opinion"? What does that mean??

'a personal belief or judgment that is not founded on proof or
certainty'

Try a dictionary, there are no 'opinions' there...they are words with a
real certain meaning.

the embed

Jun 16, 2010, 2:15:36 PM6/16/10
On Jun 16, 1:16 pm, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Thanatos wrote:
>
> > In article <4C183299.7...@ix.netcom.com>,

> >  The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> > > Look it up!
>
> > I have. In a Supreme Court opinion, which carries far more legal weight
> > than your dictionary.
>
> "opinion"? What does that mean??
>
> 'a personal belief or judgment that is not founded on proof or
> certainty'
>
> Try a dictionary, there are no 'opinions' there...they are words with a
> real certain meaning.- Hide quoted text -

Hmmm.

Message has been deleted

the embed

Jun 16, 2010, 3:33:40 PM6/16/10
> Hmmm.- Hide quoted text -

You seem pretty popular lately. What did you do? Change your hair
style?

The Starmaker

Jun 16, 2010, 3:41:36 PM6/16/10

I'm sure James Cameron will claim he never seen any Greek myths..

Message has been deleted

Thanatos

Jun 16, 2010, 7:13:30 PM6/16/10
In article <4C1907...@ix.netcom.com>,
The Starmaker <star...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

I think we've stumbled upon your core deficiency.

herbzet

Jun 17, 2010, 12:00:56 AM6/17/10

The Starmaker wrote:

> The Starmaker wrote:
> >
> > The Starmaker wrote:

> > > Look at those comparison photos...
> > >
> > > comparison-photos
> > > http://tiuniverse.com/plot-comparisons/comparison-photos
> > >
> > > James Cameron is a Fuckin Thief!
> > >
> > > The Starmaker
> > >
> > > http://tiuniverse.com/characters
> > > http://tiuniverse.com/story/back-ground-story
> > > http://tiuniverse.com/story/screenplay
> > > http://tiuniverse.com/letters
> > >
> > > When are you people going to learn....
> > > these Hollywood people are "all thieves".
> > > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/13051757#13051757
> > >
> > > they steal...everyday.
> > >
> > > They wake up...
> > > have a bagel with creame chesse..
> > > and steal all day.
>

> http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2009/10/james-cameron-stole-avatar-question-mark

> I think James Cameron stole from everybody!!!
>
> He not only stole the ideas, but he also stole the drawings which are the 'expression of an idea' which is copyrightable.
> Find out who is the artist who drew the blue people and ask him what he used for reference? James Cameron must have showed him
> stolen drawings...there is no other possible way.
>
> They steal simply because they run out of ideas...and they are too cheap to pay others for their ideas.
>
> It's a "too cheap" problem.
>

> "too cheap".
>
> I got it, we need to kill all the "too cheap" people!
>
> Who is known for being "too cheap"? What race?

The Scots -- like James Cameron.

--
hz

wcmartell

Jul 2, 2010, 4:35:05 AM7/2/10
On Jun 15, 12:00 pm, Will Dockery <will.dock...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, it will be interesting to see how this one turns out.
>
> http://blog.taragana.com/e/2010/05/20/james-cameron-accused-of-plagia...
>
> "...Writer Kelly Van has claimed that Cameron based the movie on her
> online book “Sheila the Warrior: The Damned”.

The problem there is that her thing wasn't on the internet until 2003,
yet AVATAR was written long before that - it made some magazine's 10
Best Unproduced Screenplays list in 2000 (and Empire Magazine's 10
Best Unproduced Screenplays list in 2005). So, even if Cameron has a
time machine, he still wrote AVATAR first.

Like most of these suits, this is some person who thinks they have
been ripped off because they had some common idea that a hundred other
people had... and like all of the rest, they will lose the case. The
people who sue for stuff like this are mostly losers.

- Bill

Will Dockery

Jul 2, 2010, 1:32:26 PM7/2/10
On Jul 2, 4:35 am, wcmartell <wcmart...@compuserve.com> wrote:

Harlan Ellison being the exception, I suppose...

The Starmaker

Jul 2, 2010, 2:25:38 PM7/2/10

I agree, you shouldn't 'sue for stuff like this'...you should kill them!

The Starmaker

wcmartell

Jul 3, 2010, 12:56:17 AM7/3/10
On Jul 2, 10:32 am, Will Dockery <will.dock...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Harlan Ellison being the exception, I suppose...

Which is why we are talking about an ancient case about a movie made
in the early 1980s, instead of all of those people who won cases in
this century.

- Bill

Will Dockery

Jul 3, 2010, 2:30:24 PM7/3/10
On Jul 3, 12:56 am, wcmartell <wcmart...@compuserve.com> wrote:

> On Jul 2, 10:32 am, Will Dockery wrote:
>
> > Harlan Ellison being the exception, I suppose...
>
> Which is why we are talking about an ancient case about a movie made
> in the early 1980s, instead of all of those people who won cases in
> this century.
>
> - Bill

Yes, plus Ellison had a lot of published and broadcasted evidence that
his concepts came years earlier.

--
Will Dockery music & poetry:
http://www.property.com/videos/tag/Will%20Dockery

William George Ferguson

Jul 3, 2010, 7:20:23 PM7/3/10
On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 11:30:24 -0700 (PDT), Will Dockery
<will.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Jul 3, 12:56�am, wcmartell <wcmart...@compuserve.com> wrote:
>> On Jul 2, 10:32�am, Will Dockery wrote:
>>
>> > Harlan Ellison being the exception, I suppose...
>>
>> Which is why we are talking about an ancient case about a movie made
>> in the early 1980s, instead of all of those people who won cases in
>> this century.
>>
>> - Bill
>
>Yes, plus Ellison had a lot of published and broadcasted evidence that
>his concepts came years earlier.

Especially the one internal memo that said, in paraphrase, 'Let's screw
Ellison out of his rights'. (I'm not making that up)

--
I have a theory, it could be bunnies

Anim8rFSK

Jul 3, 2010, 10:06:01 PM7/3/10
In article <lahv26t7rv3kdbij6...@4ax.com>,

It's generally quoted as "Let's screw this little Jew and steal his idea"

The amazing thing is that Paramount actually put that in writing,
archived it, and handed it over to his lawyers, years later.

I mean, if somebody sent me a memo like that, even if I wanted to go
along with it, I'd burn the damn thing.

I'd be fascinated to know exactly how the internal workings go that
preserved all memos that way, in a time before electronic communication.
Were all memos done up in duplicate? Which would mean this guy had his
secretary type it up on a carbon, and file the carbon? Did somebody
collect all your memos at the end of the week?

wcmartell

Jul 18, 2010, 5:21:02 AM7/18/10
"believes it was October 2002 when he sent his script and graphic
designs to about 20 movie studios including Cameron and his company
Lightstorm Entertainment Inc."

Problem is that AVATAR was picked as one of the 10 Best Unproduced
Screenplays by some magazine (I can easily find the details) in 2000 -
2 years before this guy sent Cameron his stuff. So this guy may have
stolen the idea from Cameron!

These cases are 99% BS - losers who want to sue someone.

There is no way Cameron could copy something that he saw *at least* 2
years **after** writing AVATAR.

The AVATAR script was getting press (where the public could read about
the storyline) in 2000.

Fail.

- Bill
http://www.ScriptSecrets.Net