Movies you were GLAD bombed...

Alex Crouvier

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

Hot4Hose wrote:

> >Now that it's safe to say that Godzilla didn't quite live up to its hype,
> >what
> >movies are you glad petered out early?
> >
> >I'd have to think about it, but certainly:
> >
> >Blues Brothers 2000
>
> ANY movie with Paulie Shore.

any movies with SNL cast, died or living. But I am looking forward for
that film adaptation of sketch starring Chris Katan as one half of the
manic disco-crazed yuppies (I am a very casual SNL fan).

Scott Mendelson

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

Alex Crouvier wrote:

> Hot4Hose wrote:
> >
> > >Now that it's safe to say that Godzilla didn't quite live up to its hype,
> > >what
> > >movies are you glad petered out early?

Batman and Robin:

A Fun story:

For nearly six months beforehand, I, and many others on this very
newsgroup had been plotting how to protest the bastardization of this
classic character. We had seen the previews, we had heard the awful
diolague, we had seen the bad acting, we knew what was coming. It was
decided that, at least for me, that we would try to refrain to see the
movie on opening weekend. The film opened to $42.5 million, low for a
Batman film, and far below 3x the Fri. total($17 million x 3 = $51
million). So, the week went by, and we were unsure whether or not our
six months of pleading with people, warning them of the drek that
awaited them, had been effective.
So, next Friday morning rolls around, and a friend and I walk
into the theater. Of course, I have to see it eventually, so we plan to
see Hercules and Face/Off immediatly afterwards to wash the likely foul
taste from our mouths(it worked, Face/Off was and is wonderful). So,
anyway, we walk into the theater on the Friday morning of the second
weekend, ten minutes till show time. EIGHT PEOPLE in the theater!!!!
I looked around, put down my popcorn, raised my hands in the air, and
whispered to myself: "YES! We've Won! We've Won!." While I doubt that
I personally had a lot to do with Schumacher's defeat, at that moment,
it didn't matter.

Scott Mendelson

p.s. For Batman done right, watch Batman: The Animated Series
weekdays(5:30) and weekends(Saturday or Sunday at 9:30) on WB

Andrea

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

Anything Gwenyth Paltrow's in,
Sliding Doors, it got so so reviews, nobody has seen it but yet it's
still at Lammale's (spelling?) at Sunset & Cresent Hts. Go figure?

Godzilla

Trippendorf's Tribe - Jenna Elfman? Who is this broad?

Flubber (1998 or 97)

etc...

i_want_6

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

Speed 2

all films starring Friends actors/actresses

Derriik

Hot4Hose

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

ANY movie with Paulie Shore.

Hot4Hose

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

>any movies with SNL cast, died or living. But I am looking forward for
>that film adaptation of sketch starring Chris Katan as one half of the
>manic disco-crazed yuppies (I am a very casual SNL fan).

Why in the name of all that is holy would you look forwards to THIS??? Not
that this will be the first one-joke sketch turned into a full-length feature
film by those wonderful, wonderful SNL people. You should have stopped after
the first sentence.

maj...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

Buttman in Rubber
Speed 2: Snooze Control
Star Drek: First Contact

--
Daniel Ovsenik

"I admire it's purity, a survivor. Unclouded by
conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality."
-ALIEN (1979)

Alex Crouvier

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

In my book, curiosity doesn't kill

Alex Crouvier

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

i_want_6 wrote:

> all films starring Friends actors/actresses

Are you a football-watching, hockey-loving, blonde-ogling white male
living in suburbia? Why the self-loathing?

SloGait

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

Tarantino's first movie after "Pulp Fiction". So many people were
treating him like a Messiah. But I felt he was a no-shot wonder, a
pretender created by the howling mob.

Spirit_o...@my-dejanews.com

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

In article <199806070123...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,

>> Don't you like Paulie Shore? I think he's the best actor of our time.
>> NOT!

Spirit_o...@my-dejanews.com

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

In article <199806070158...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,

I think that movie (A Night At The Roxbury) with Chris Kattan will
bomb BIG TIME. the sketch is funny, but what are they going to do
for a full-length movie--slam dance for 90 mintues? it'll be another
bomb like "It's Pat"

The world is flat...

Skins17a

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

Actually, Star Trek First Contact didn't bomb. It was one of the higher
grossing Star Trek movies, I believe.

Won Lee

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

In article <35798D...@earthlink.net>, Andrea <andr...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Anything Gwenyth Paltrow's in,
> Sliding Doors, it got so so reviews, nobody has seen it but yet it's
> still at Lammale's (spelling?) at Sunset & Cresent Hts. Go figure?

I totally agree.

Also all Steve Martin movies but Spanish Prisoner. All of his comedy films
are really lame.

Won Lee
Graduate Student
Engineering Economic Systems and Operations Research
Stanford University
http://www.stanford.edu/~wonlee

SloGait

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

On Sun, 07 Jun 1998 10:20:46 -0700, won...@stanford.edu (Won Lee)
wrote:

>Also all Steve Martin movies but Spanish Prisoner. All of his comedy films
>are really lame.

"All of Me" was classic stuff. And I don't think all his movies
"bombed" because I think they made about the kind of money they should
have made and were expected to make.

Rufie710

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

In article <wonlee-0706...@wonlee.stanford.edu>,

<andr...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> > Anything Gwenyth Paltrow's in,
> > Sliding Doors, it got so so reviews, nobody has seen it but yet it's
> > still at Lammale's (spelling?) at Sunset & Cresent Hts. Go figure?
>
> I totally agree.
>

> Also all Steve Martin movies but Spanish Prisoner. All of his comedy films
> are really lame.

Hey , Roxanne was great.

--
rufie710
"I tried Reality once, I found it too confining"

Hot4Hose

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

> Also all Steve Martin movies but Spanish Prisoner. All of his comedy films
>> are really lame.

Hey! Speaking of lame, do you remember......

Dudley Moore? Two hit movies at the beginning of his career (one of which
stunk like shit, but hey....) and then! Bomb after bomb after bomb after
falling bomb.... Even I lost track of exactly how many pathetetic attempts to
establish him as A Romantic Lead there were. Finally, there were down to the
wire....there was only one thing left to do.... Put him in Arthur 2 (Arthur
being the movie at the beginning of his career which didn't stink.) And guess
what? That one bombed, too! Hoooray!! The Dud was outta there! I think
heard his voice-over on a car commercial not too long ago, so who knows? Maybe
They are already plotting to bring him back.....

Marv Albert, Ph.D

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

Derriik wrote in message
<199806070019...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

>Now that it's safe to say that Godzilla didn't quite live up to its hype,
>what movies are you glad petered out early?
>
>I'd have to think about it, but certainly:
>
>Blues Brothers 2000
>
>Others?

That Thing You Do
Any "SNL" Movie

--
craig
Crai...@worldnet.att.net

Little Sister

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

Definitely anything related to Pauly Shore...all his movies leave a bad
taste in my mouth!

L.S.

GCarras

Jun 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/8/98

><HTML><PRE>Subject: Re: Movies you were GLAD bombed...
>From: hot4...@aol.com (Hot4Hose)
>Date: Sat, Jun 6, 1998 21:23 EDT

>>Now that it's safe to say that Godzilla didn't quite live up to its hype,
>>what
>>movies are you glad petered out early?
>>
>>I'd have to think about it, but certainly:
>>
>>Blues Brothers 2000
>
>ANY movie with Paulie Shore.

Please, give the guy a chance he is an origjanl comic genius,persona and all.
And like Chris Farley and Jim Carrey he can do a good dramatic role too.
Don't Miss The Truman Show!
"Good morning,good afternoon,and,in case I don't see you,good night

John Pestka

Jun 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/8/98

Batman & Robin
Speed 2
Godzilla
everything with Shaquille O'Neal

jlp

Kelley P Swilley

Jun 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/8/98

I was so happy to see the public reject THE SCARLET LETTER like the dreck
it was. When MOLL FLANDERS (another film that stole its title from a
completely unrelated classic novel) bombed as well, I thought to myself,
Thank God, they'll never do this again! No more movies openly
disrespectful of the literature they're supposedly based on. Then along
came GREAT EXPECTATIONS. That one did well for a couple of weeks, but
hasn't it flopped in the long run?
Guess some lessons take a while to sink in.

Ronald J. Whalen

Jun 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/8/98

I was glad and jumped for joy when Godzilla 1998 bombed at the box
office
and I hope Truman Show beats it for number 1 spot at the box office.

Linda K.

Jun 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/8/98

>Anything with Gwyneth Paltrow (how many bombs has she had now? Five? Six
>in a row?). How much more mileage can this homely twig get from simply
>dating a sexy movie star? Somebody--I'm begging here--*please* knock this
>overhyped, completely uninteresting, and perfectly _boring_ no-talent
>groupie-girl OUT of the movies already!

I could not agree more. I can't understand why all the critics are in love
with her, I don't think I've read even I review that didn't fawn over her.
I wonder if it has anything to do with her connections in the business
(Uncle Speilberg)?
Personally, I don't she anything special about her and even find her
slightly irritating. Enough with the English accents already!

MasonBarge

Jun 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/9/98

> >any movies with SNL cast, died or living

Huh? Animal House, Groundhog Day, Ghostbusters, Invisible Man, Inner Space,
all very solid comedies. If you don't like a couple of these, you just don't
like comedy that much.
- Mason Barge
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea. If this is tea, please bring me
some coffee." -- Abraham Lincoln

MasonBarge

Jun 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/9/98

<<Anything with Gwyneth Paltrow>> Wasn't that her in Se7en? And she was
terrific in Emma.

MasonBarge

Jun 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/9/98

Cutthroat Island. I cover my naked body with honey and lie on a fire ant hill
in the scorching sun. My last delusion before death is breaking Geena Davis'
teeth with a hammer.

Scarlet Letter. I sit drunk on MD20-20 in a cheap motel room and consider the
philosopical integrety of suicide.

Speed II. Hungry weasel get trapped in my large intestine.

Mis...@my-dejanews.com

Jun 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/9/98

> >any movies with SNL cast, died or living. But I am looking forward for
> >that film adaptation of sketch starring Chris Katan as one half of the
> >manic disco-crazed yuppies (I am a very casual SNL fan).

For the reference, Adam Sandler used to be on SNL, and Billy Madison and Happy
Gilmore were both very good, as was The Wedding Singer. Also, they're called
The Roxbury Guys.

-Mike

Paul J. Adams

Jun 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/9/98

SloGait <slo...@nospam.earthlink.net> wrote in article
<357a4de2....@news.earthlink.net>...

> Tarantino's first movie after "Pulp Fiction". So many people were
> treating him like a Messiah. But I felt he was a no-shot wonder, a
> pretender created by the howling mob.

Pulp Fiction is not one of my favorite films, but it's a good film. It may
have its precendents, but most films do. It may not be the most
startlingly original film ever made, but it had some unique and original
qualities.

Pulp Fiction was very unlike most of American Popular culture at the time
it was released, it was a very "young" movie, it was not ashamed to be
silly, vulgar, and childishly naive (I mean this in a good way), and it was
enormously successful.

It didn't mean a lot to me, it never became the center of the film universe
for me, but I was still somewhat encouraged by its success. It was a sign
that popular culture could occassionally mirror my own tastes in film, and
that the industry was open to offbeat, semi-original films on a large
scale.

When I went to film school, I was surprised at how many students had
elected to study film because they were inspired by Steven Spielburg. To
this day I still can't understand the fascination some people have with
Spielburg's movies. Even as a child I was not nearly as touched by E.T. as
most of my friends. Indiana Jones was kinda cool, but that's the best I
could say. Now I imagine there are legions of students inspired by
Tarantino. He may not be the greatest filmmaker to emulate, but I see this
as a vast improvement over Spielburg worship, and I will always regard the
success of Pulp Fiction as a significant accomplishment and a step in the
right direction. I say this despite the fact that there are possibly
hundreds of films I like more than Pulp Fiction. Pulp Fiction was a hint
at what popular cinema could be.

Paul J. Adams

Jun 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/9/98

Alex Crouvier <troj...@geocities.com> wrote in article
<357A0D...@geocities.com>...

> any movies with SNL cast, died or living. But I am looking forward for
> that film adaptation of sketch starring Chris Katan as one half of the
> manic disco-crazed yuppies (I am a very casual SNL fan).

As a short feature before this film, they should play the "Thank You For
Coming To Loew's" sketch from Saturday Night Live in which the audience was
trapped watching endless previews until they turned into savages. Although
Loew's Theaters might not be pleased by that.

M. Hartnett

Jun 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/9/98

I agree. Kattan is really very funny, and is not on the show enough. The
air time seems to go to Will Ferrall instead. He's funny too, but I guess
I just like Chris better. I have been looking for info about the movie,
but have come up with very little.
mary

On Sat, 6 Jun 1998, Alex Crouvier wrote:

> Hot4Hose wrote:
> >
> > >Now that it's safe to say that Godzilla didn't quite live up to its hype,
> > >what
> > >movies are you glad petered out early?
> > >
> > >I'd have to think about it, but certainly:
> > >
> > >Blues Brothers 2000
> >
> > ANY movie with Paulie Shore.

Rod Lightning

Jun 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/10/98

On Tue, 9 Jun 1998 17:33:32 -0500, "M. Hartnett"
<hart...@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu> wrote:

>I agree. Kattan is really very funny, and is not on the show enough. The
>air time seems to go to Will Ferrall instead. He's funny too, but I guess
>I just like Chris better. I have been looking for info about the movie,
>but have come up with very little.
> mary

All those guys could disappear tomorrow without the world noticing
much. I think SNL has been on too long. The well has run dry.

Tom Cervo

Jun 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/10/98

>I could not agree more. I can't understand why all the critics are in love
with her, I don't think I've read even I review that didn't fawn over her. I
wonder if it has anything to do with her connections in the business (Uncle
Speilberg)?
>Personally, I don't she anything special about her and even find her slightly
irritating. Enough with the English accents already!

Advice to actresses:
Don't appear in a role if you know that Kate Beckinsale is doing the same part
on TV.

Rod Lightning

Jun 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/10/98

I'm puzzled about the "enough with English accents". I believe she IS
an English actress. You should say "enough with the American accents"

Paul J. Adams

Jun 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/10/98

Rod Lightning <Rod.Li...@nospam.earthlink.net> wrote in article
<357e893f...@news.earthlink.net>...

> All those guys could disappear tomorrow without the world noticing
> much. I think SNL has been on too long. The well has run dry.

Actually, the "well" has never been wet nor dry. It's always been slightly
damp. The show has never been consistantly good, even going all the way
back to the original cast, but it has always had its good moments and funny
skits.

What I've been noticing recently is that they tend to put the best material
at the end of the show. That's when they usually show skits which are not
repeated, which don't incorporate the dull characters like Mary Catherine
Gallagher who they love to beat to death through excessive repetition.
Besides the few original skits per episode, the best material is usually
the fake commercials. The rest of the show is generally weak, and it's
broken up by never ending commercials and sub-par performances by the worst
of popular bands (there are exceptions).

This has been the pattern for the entire history of Saturday Night Live.
You may not like "The Roxbury Boys" (or whatever they're called), but how
many times can you enjoy watching "It's Pat," "The Bees," or "The Taste
Buds?" Collin Quinn may be an unfunny and irritating News host, but he's
at least as good as Kevin Nealin, and clearly better than Chevy Chase.

IrishRose

Jun 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/10/98

With the identity of the first actress clipped, I assumed they were
writing about Gwyneth Paltrow who is american and played Emma in the
movies whereas Kate Beckensale played Emma on A&E and she is english.

Linda

--
@->--- @->--- @->--- @->--- @->--- @->---
"Not Everything that is beautiful is good.....

Rod Lightning

Jun 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/11/98

On 10 Jun 1998 21:23:27 GMT, "Paul J. Adams" <ada...@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

>Rod Lightning <Rod.Li...@nospam.earthlink.net> wrote in article
><357e893f...@news.earthlink.net>...
>
>> All those guys could disappear tomorrow without the world noticing
>> much. I think SNL has been on too long. The well has run dry.
>
>Actually, the "well" has never been wet nor dry. It's always been slightly
>damp. The show has never been consistantly good, even going all the way
>back to the original cast, but it has always had its good moments and funny
>skits.

I can't think of anything in the last 5 years that would merit a
highlights tape. But in the days of Dan Akroyd and Jon Belushi, there
was a lot. And even when Jon Lovitz and Phil Hartman were on. But
now I find it tiring.

Rod Lightning

Jun 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/11/98

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998 14:13:54 -0700, IrishRose <musg...@u.arizona.edu>
wrote:

>With the identity of the first actress clipped, I assumed they were
>writing about Gwyneth Paltrow who is american and played Emma in the
>movies whereas Kate Beckensale played Emma on A&E and she is english.
>
>Linda

Gwyneth does seem to like doing those accents. Hers aren't awful, but
I'd like to see more roles where she uses her own accent. I'm sure
its fine.

JAS Carter

Jun 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/11/98

wrote:

>Also all Steve Martin movies but Spanish Prisoner. All of his comedy films
>are really lame.

AeeeeiiiiiI!!!!! I hope you haven't seen Roxanne. The only thing
lame about it was Darryl Hannah. Go figure. :)

J A S Carter
jsgo...@zippynet.com

JAS Carter

Jun 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/11/98

On 10 Jun 1998 15:56:57 GMT, tomc...@aol.com (Tom Cervo) wrote:

>>I could not agree more. I can't understand why all the critics are in love
>with her, I don't think I've read even I review that didn't fawn over her. I
>wonder if it has anything to do with her connections in the business (Uncle
>Speilberg)?
>>Personally, I don't she anything special about her and even find her slightly
>irritating. Enough with the English accents already!
>
>Advice to actresses:
>Don't appear in a role if you know that Kate Beckinsale is doing the same part
>on TV.

I never saw Paltrow's Emma... but the A & E version was rather
uninspired. And it's my favorite Austen novel, damn it! :)

Russell Stewart

Jun 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/11/98

Go ahead and string me up from the nearest lamppost if you will, but
I enjoyed Godzilla. It was exactly what I expected and wanted to see
out of a high-budget monster movie. Nothing deep or profound, but
visually exciting, enjoyable, entertaining.

If anything, I'd say it deserves success more than Jurassic Park
did.

Russell Stewart
Undergraduate
UNM Physics Department
E-Mail: diamond (at) unm (dot) edu
WWW: http://www.swcp.com/~diamond

My opinions are mine alone and in no way reflect the opinions
of the voices in my head.

Phil Mc Carty

Jun 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/21/98

Rod Lightning wrote:

> On 21 Jun 1998 13:05:18 GMT, phin...@aol.com (PhineasBg) wrote:
>
> > won...@stanford.edu (Won Lee) wrote:
> >
> >[snip]

> >>Also all Steve Martin movies but Spanish Prisoner. All of his comedy films
> >>are really lame.
> >
> > I hope you aren't including "L.A. Story".
>
> The problem I see here is the notion that Steve Martin's films all
> "bombed". I don't think that case can be made. Now if this thread
> were named "Films you WISH had bombed", I could see a Martin-hater
> nominating all his films. But Steve Martin is pretty successful as an
> actor. Several of his movies have been loved by critics, and many
> have been loved by movie fans, too.
>
> L.A. Story, Prenthood, Leap of Faith are just a few that were
> well-done and did not "bomb".

Ah.

But 'Sergeant Bilko' did. And deservedly so. This coming from a Steve
Martin fan. Who prefers 'The Man with Two Brains' to 'The Jerk' and
loved 'Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid'. BTW 'Leap of Faith' bombed big-time
here in the UK.

Phil

Rod Lightning

Jun 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/21/98

On Sun, 21 Jun 1998 14:26:01 +0100, Phil Mc Carty
<phil.m...@virgin.net> wrote:

>But 'Sergeant Bilko' did. And deservedly so. This coming from a Steve
>Martin fan. Who prefers 'The Man with Two Brains' to 'The Jerk' and
>loved 'Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid'. BTW 'Leap of Faith' bombed big-time
>here in the UK.
>
>Phil

I'm always amazed when movies with specifically American themes (the
Southern preacher) DON'T bomb. Why should much of the world be that
interested in the peculiarities of America? I do go to non-American
films for whatever insight they might provide to a place where I've
never been, but I'm far from a "typical American moviegoer". My
favorite movies mostly make little money.

Plain and Simple Cronan

Jun 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/21/98

Phil Mc Carty wrote

>BTW 'Leap of Faith' bombed big-time here in the UK.

You're still operating under the impression the UK is more than a vassal of
the US.

Jim S

Jun 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/22/98

Heaven's Gate. Had it not, Michael Cimino would have been absolutely
unstoppable in being the most insufferable self indulgent asshole in
the history of cinema. Read Stephen Bach's "Final Cut", which details
the making of Heaven's Gate and how it virtually killed a once-great
studio. It is a fascinating read.
--

Jim S. <ji...@inlink.com>
Serious fan of:

Movie buffs: Check out Jake Gove's excellent "JAWS" homepage.
Media, reviews, discussion, trivia and more from the 1975 classic!
http://www.winternet.com/~tandj04/jaws.html

Rod Lightning

Jun 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/21/98
Message has been deleted

JG Rove

Feb 6, 2023, 6:28:47 PM2/6/23
On Sunday, June 7, 1998 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Won Lee wrote:
> In article <35798D...@earthlink.net>, Andrea <andr...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > Anything Gwenyth Paltrow's in,
> > Sliding Doors, it got so so reviews, nobody has seen it but yet it's
> > still at Lammale's (spelling?) at Sunset & Cresent Hts. Go figure?
> I totally agree.
> Also all Steve Martin movies but Spanish Prisoner. All of his comedy films
> are really lame.

> Won Lee
> Graduate Student
> Engineering Economic Systems and Operations Research
> Stanford University
> http://www.stanford.edu/~wonlee

The first 30 minutes of Spanish Prisoner are slow but the plot picks up for a surprising end with unexpected Federal Agents. In 2023 we're foraging old Martin movies for viewing.