Ill-advised "Predator" remake

RichA

Jan 7, 2017, 3:29:09 AM1/7/17
The first "Predator" movie was perfect. Not just as a scifi, but everything. Cinematography, locations, level of violence, quality of the FX, and the cast. It's going to be very hard to duplicate its quality.

Keegan-Michael Key Joins Fox’s ‘Predator’ Reboot

13 hours ago | Variety - Film News | See recent Variety - Film News news »

Keegan-Michael Key is joining “Moonlight” star Trevante Rhodes, Boyd Holbrook and Olivia Munn on Fox’s “The Predator,” a reboot of the “Predator” alien action franchise that launched in 1987.

Shane Black is directing from a script by Fred Dekker. John Davis, Joel Silver, and Lawrence Gordon — who produced the original — are producing. Fox has already slotted “The Predator” for a Feb. 9, 2018 opening.

Plot details are under wraps other than the usual plot of an extraterrestrial monster facing off against earthlings. “Narcos” star Holbrook replaced Benicio del Toro to become the first major casting, announced in October, and Rhodes came on board this week.

The original was directed by John McTiernan and starred Arnold Schwarzenegger, Carl Weathers, and Jesse Ventura as commandos attempting to rescue hostages while being stalked in a jungle in Central America by a fearsome extra-terrestrial, played by Kevin Peter Hall.

moviePig

Jan 7, 2017, 10:53:17 AM1/7/17
Shane Black has yet to fuck up.

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...

Russell Watson

Jan 7, 2017, 11:57:43 AM1/7/17
"Iron Man 3"

moviePig

Jan 7, 2017, 12:48:11 PM1/7/17
Well, nolo contendre, as I didn't see that one. But I'd cut a little
slack for any effort attempted under Marvel's reputedly iron fist...

Russell Watson

Jan 7, 2017, 3:37:48 PM1/7/17
It looked to me like they gave him latitude and it misfired. If they
didn't and it's on them, well, the result is the same: it sucks. Either
way, it's the only one of the series (so far - "Spider-Man: Homecoming"
is looking pretty bad to me) that I actively dislike. I own it on
Blu-Ray simply because I committed to collecting the series in its
entirety (which I have since decided probably isn't going to happen),
but I only watched the movie once, in the theater when it was new, and
nearly walked out then. Actually did walk out, going to the can about
2/3 of the way through feeling like I wasn't going to miss much, and
standing in the lobby after deciding whether just to cut my losses or go
back and see if somewhere before the end it was redeemed. I did. It was
not.

Lewis

Jan 8, 2017, 2:24:11 AM1/8/17
In message <o4rjft$ug9$1...@dont-email.me>
Russell Watson <russell...@comcast.net> wrote:
> It looked to me like they gave him latitude and it misfired. If they
> didn't and it's on them, well, the result is the same: it sucks. Either
> way, it's the only one of the series (so far - "Spider-Man: Homecoming"
> is looking pretty bad to me) that I actively dislike.

The Incredible Hulk was lousy. SO bad that I've never managed to get
through it.

There was a lot of IM3 I liked, in fact, nearly all of it up until the
last 15-20 minutes.

Hulk, OTOH, is unwatchable.

--
<[TN]FBMachine> I got kicked out of Barnes and Noble once for moving all
the bibles into the fiction section

RichA

Jan 8, 2017, 5:54:06 AM1/8/17
On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 2:24:11 AM UTC-5, Lewis wrote:
> In message <o4rjft$ug9$1...@dont-email.me>
> Russell Watson <russell...@comcast.net> wrote:
> > It looked to me like they gave him latitude and it misfired. If they
> > didn't and it's on them, well, the result is the same: it sucks. Either
> > way, it's the only one of the series (so far - "Spider-Man: Homecoming"
> > is looking pretty bad to me) that I actively dislike.
>
> The Incredible Hulk was lousy. SO bad that I've never managed to get
> through it.

Worst superhero movie of the last 20 years.

Russell Watson

Jan 8, 2017, 3:44:05 PM1/8/17
On 1/8/2017 2:22 AM, Lewis wrote:
> In message <o4rjft$ug9$1...@dont-email.me>
> Russell Watson <russell...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> It looked to me like they gave him latitude and it misfired. If they
>> didn't and it's on them, well, the result is the same: it sucks. Either
>> way, it's the only one of the series (so far - "Spider-Man: Homecoming"
>> is looking pretty bad to me) that I actively dislike.
>
> The Incredible Hulk was lousy. SO bad that I've never managed to get
> through it.

Good point, though in all honesty it's so out of sync with the rest of
the series that I tend to forget about it. If not for the Avengers
"Easter egg" at the end and the return of William Hurt as Thunderbolt
Ross in "Captain America: Civil War" it would have no more to tie it to
the rest of the movies than Ang Lee's '03 "Hulk". Different actor in the
title role, the birth of a new villain that never gets followed up on,
and a girlfriend who apparently doesn't exist in the later movies,
though her father does.