THE NIGHT (no spoilers)

moviePig

Aug 7, 2021, 3:43:10 PM8/7/21

Returning from a late gathering, an Iranian couple with their small
child check into an unusual hotel. The (mostly) Iranian horror-flick
THE NIGHT brings the cinematic panache we now expect of that country's
offerings. Unfortunately, it has a limited grasp of (or indifference
to) what U.S. viewers find scary and satisfying. Minimally recommended.

william ahearn

Aug 7, 2021, 5:50:12 PM8/7/21
Sounds like it'll be good. I'll get back to you.

moviePig

Aug 7, 2021, 6:31:18 PM8/7/21
Okay, but bear in mind that I, too, am something of an Iranophile...

trotsky

Aug 7, 2021, 6:32:50 PM8/7/21
Speaking of such movies, did you see this, Tobe Hooper's last
directorial effort:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1770672/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_1

moviePig

Aug 7, 2021, 6:53:46 PM8/7/21
No. And the IMDb page seems to favor a 5th rewatch of 'Salem's Lot'...

trotsky

Aug 8, 2021, 8:49:16 AM8/8/21
Are they all "Iranophiles" you twat? You're like Derp, phishing to be
called a turd. And that's just me being nice.

william ahearn

Aug 8, 2021, 9:05:39 PM8/8/21
On Saturday, August 7, 2021 at 3:43:10 PM UTC-4, pwal...@moviepig.com wrote:
> Unfortunately, it has a limited grasp of (or indifference
> to) what U.S. viewers find scary and satisfying. Minimally recommended.

Which is a strength and not a weakness since US horror fans are mostly juvenile morons. The worst thing that ever happened to horror movies in the US is the so-called Horror Community who have created a standard of mediocrity that is stultifying. This isn't a great film but where it might get lost is in a place that is beyond the brain dead borders of "US viewers."

kelown

Aug 8, 2021, 9:17:10 PM8/8/21

>> Unfortunately, it has a limited grasp of (or indifference
>> to) what U.S. viewers find scary and satisfying. Minimally recommended.
>
> Which is a strength and not a weakness since US horror fans are mostly juvenile morons.

> The worst thing that ever happened to horror movies in the US is the so-called Horror Community who have created a standard of mediocrity that is stultifying.

Popcorn horror movies have been poorly written on average at least since
the 1950's. And that applies globally. Nothing new here.

william ahearn

Aug 8, 2021, 10:51:14 PM8/8/21
How glib. I would think that what I wrote went over your head although there's a better chance that it went straight through the emptiness of your skull. You missed the point but doncha always?

moviePig

Aug 9, 2021, 9:59:13 AM8/9/21
[NO OVERT SPOILERS BUT SOME PLOT DISCUSSION]
[NO OVERT SPOILERS BUT SOME PLOT DISCUSSION]
[NO OVERT SPOILERS BUT SOME PLOT DISCUSSION]

As much as I appreciated this flick's style (which was indeed well above
US standards, as is most of the horror I actively like), I couldn't
escape the sense that what it thought were telling blows to the viewer's
psyche were missing their mark, maybe culturally. E.g., the woman's
horrifying "sin" just *had* to land more softly in NYC than in Tehran.

trotsky

Aug 9, 2021, 10:15:29 AM8/9/21
A little over the top but mostly accurate. In the U.S. horror's target
audience is teens and tweens.

trotsky

Aug 9, 2021, 10:16:52 AM8/9/21
So you were lying when you said you were an "Iranophile".

moviePig

Aug 9, 2021, 10:28:26 AM8/9/21
Iranian movies (that reach the U.S.) are a frequent delight ...and, on
the whole, considerably more grownup than U.S. stuff. But this one
didn't quite work ...and some of that may have been "mechanical".

william ahearn

Aug 9, 2021, 12:52:08 PM8/9/21
On Monday, August 9, 2021 at 10:28:26 AM UTC-4, pwal...@moviepig.com wrote:

> Iranian movies (that reach the U.S.) are a frequent delight ...and, on
> the whole, considerably more grownup than U.S. stuff. But this one
> didn't quite work ...and some of that may have been "mechanical".

Compared to some of the horror nonsense that you "solidly recommend"? Really? This is pretty typical of your reviews: If it isn't playing at the Quad, somehow it's just not up to snuff.

trotsky

Aug 9, 2021, 12:54:25 PM8/9/21
Sure, what's your point of reference?

moviePig

Aug 9, 2021, 1:47:58 PM8/9/21
You'd have to name such a bit of "horror nonsense" for me to tell you
why I judged it worth a horror-fan's time. This one, I think, will
leave most people I'm talking to disappointed ...and that's detrimental.

moviePig

Aug 9, 2021, 1:49:56 PM8/9/21
The Iranian movies I've seen, and a knowledge of this one's content.

william ahearn

Aug 9, 2021, 1:56:35 PM8/9/21
On Monday, August 9, 2021 at 1:47:58 PM UTC-4, pwal...@moviepig.com wrote:

> You'd have to name such a bit of "horror nonsense" for me to tell you
> why I judged it worth a horror-fan's time. This one, I think, will
> leave most people I'm talking to disappointed ...and that's detrimental.

Oh, I forgot. Most of the people you're talking to -- and if you check the stats on this forum, that's about 7 people -- are mindless, juvenile, genre suckers. We've been down this road before and basically you're a white boy who posts mealy mouthed, spoilless blurbs about the same old shit.

trotsky

Aug 9, 2021, 1:57:20 PM8/9/21
The vast majority of Iranian movies I know of aren't horror, so I'm
mystified why you're unable to name even a single comparable horror film.

trotsky

Aug 9, 2021, 1:58:13 PM8/9/21
Ugh, looks like it's that time of the month again.

moviePig

Aug 9, 2021, 2:14:22 PM8/9/21
Comparable because it's Iranian? Look, I made my recommendation. If
you doubt me, or are feeling adventurous, then by all means watch.

william ahearn

Aug 9, 2021, 4:00:42 PM8/9/21
On Monday, August 9, 2021 at 2:14:22 PM UTC-4, pwal...@moviepig.com wrote:

> Comparable because it's Iranian? Look, I made my recommendation. If
> you doubt me, or are feeling adventurous, then by all means watch.

I did watch and you're wrong and you never, ever admit to any papal fallacies. End of conversation, for me. So go back to the mall and entertain the nitwits of horror.

trotsky

Aug 9, 2021, 4:47:15 PM8/9/21
No, we've covered the Iranian part. I'm trying to see if you think it
is comparable to a specific Western horror movie, but we've belabored
the point so I'll just see it and make up my own mind.

moviePig

Aug 9, 2021, 4:47:30 PM8/9/21
I'm mainly about *my* reaction to a movie, and being "wrong" in that
regard is almost undefined (...unless, e.g., I've flat-out missed
something because I blinked). And, though somewhat interesting
culturally, this horror flick let me down too often -- a couple of times
in the middle as well as at the end. I'm glad you fared better. Maybe
others will, too.

moviePig

Aug 9, 2021, 4:57:27 PM8/9/21
Re some other specific movie... fwiw, I'm often a little put-out by "X
meets Y" descriptions. For one thing, they usually constitute
substantial spoilers, and, for another, they seem to devalue the basic
responsibility of a multi-million-dollar creation to feel *new*...

trotsky

Aug 9, 2021, 5:46:40 PM8/9/21
Okay, but I'd be lying if I didn't tell you you get mixed reviews.

moviePig

Aug 9, 2021, 5:54:57 PM8/9/21
I don't know many endeavors where that's not an indicator of success...

alvey

Aug 9, 2021, 5:55:41 PM8/9/21
What's a "genre sucker"?

alvey

prairieevaluate

Jan 8, 2022, 3:21:56 PM1/8/22

> moviePig wrote:
> Returning from a late gathering, an Iranian couple with their small

> child check into an unusual hotel. The (mostly) Iranian
horror-flick
> THE NIGHT brings the cinematic panache we now expect of that
country's
> offerings. Unfortunately, it has a limited grasp of (or
indifference
> to) what U.S. viewers find scary and satisfying. Minimally
recommended.

This movie is not too bad. Not that scary as I'm
used to horror genre but it's pretty good!

This is a response to the post seen at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=603428776#603428776