CD and video ideas

strasser michael c

May 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/5/95

Hi guys!

Got a couple of ideas to toss out to you regarding audio and video
recordings I would like to see.

I've always thought that some of the
interesting percussion writing I've heard shows up in walk beats (or
street beats, if you prefer). Has anyone thought of collecting some of
the more interesting examples of corps walk beats and putting them
together on a CD or cassette? Could be an interesting project for
someone.

On the video front, I have always been interested in the evolution of
drill design. I've always thought that one could put together an
interesting video of some of the more significant visual shows in DCI
history (all shot with high camera, of course). Am I the only person who
would be interested in such a thing? Which shows would you include in
such a collection and why? I'll start the ball rolling with one of my
personal favorites: Mike Moxley's 1979 BD show. This was the year that
everything Moxley had been working toward (specifically, a completely
"seamless" production in which there are literally no transitions, but a
perfectly logical and continuous evolution of forms from start to finish)
finally came together. To see how significant this show was, all you
have to do is look at a tape of everyone else that year, then watch a
tape of the following year. It's though everyone said, "Aha, NOW we know
what we've been trying to do all this time. Thanks, Mike!" (Of course,
80 is also the year that SCV reintroduced asymmetry into drill design, and
we know how significant THAT was.)

While I'm at it, here's one more question: What kind of unusual audio or
visual recordings (like the ones I've mentioned) would YOU like to see or
hear?

OK, lots of stuff for you to dig into here. Feel free to break this up
into separate threads (it'd probably be best to do it that way). I'm
going to sit back and watch the fun.

Regards,
Mike

E Lopez

May 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/6/95
strasser michael c <stra...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>What kind of unusual audio or
>visual recordings (like the ones I've mentioned) would YOU like to see
or
>hear?
>
>OK, lots of stuff for you to dig into here. Feel free to break this up

>into separate threads (it'd probably be best to do it that way). I'm
>going to sit back and watch the fun.

Agree with you with the drill one. That would be interesting. Perhaps a
video tape with the cheesiest color guards would be an interesting tape
to add to one's collection. Along with the cheesiest guard tape, there
should be clips of ugliest uniforms, sloppiest equipment handling, and
cheesy props. Hehehe...

-
E Lopez CMV...@prodigy.com
"If it weren't for coffee, I'd have no personality whatsoever."