Notable Drum Corps of the Past

Matt Dillon

Jul 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/30/96

A brief interlude in the '96 season....

Notable Drum Corps of the Past (no particular order):

Northstar
The Geneseo Knights
Avant Garde (Fluorescent Green)
Bayonne Bridgmen
The Valley Fever
California Dons
Sacramento Freelancers
The Defenders
Hawthorne Muchachos
27th Lancers
Kilties
Anaheim Kingsmen
Sky Riders
L'Chatellaine du Lavalle
Suncoast Sound
Stockton Commodores
Dutch Boy
Seattle Imperials
Argonne Rebels

Please add to this list...
(I know some of the above currently exist in some capacity, however, I'm looking for corps that
had some "glory days" like "DCI Associates," or whatever...you know, fallen brethren, etc.)

Later.
Matt Dillon
'82-'83 Valley Fever
'84 Blue Devils

Robert Lee Delaney

Jul 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/31/96

In <31FEA0...@mugu.navy.mil> Matt Dillon <dil...@mugu.navy.mil>
writes:

Howz about

Watkins Glen Squires
Pittsburgh Royal Crusaders
Purple Lancers
Alliance
Les Chatelaines
L'Offensive

And from the Senior Circuit

Erie Thunderbirds
Steel City Ambassadors
Archer Epler Musketeers
Yankee Rebels
Reilly Raiders
Princemen

I'm sure I left out some but I still mourn their passing(s)

R.I.P.

Bob D

Richard M. Stuemke

Jul 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/31/96

:
: Notable Drum Corps of the Past (no particular order):
:
...Mr. Snippy...

CHICAGO ROYAL AIRS!
Des Plaines Vanguard
St. Vincent's Cadets
St. Lucy's Cadets
Norwood Park Imperials
Milstadt Crusaders
Belleville Black Knights
St. Paul Scouts
Neisi Ambasadors
Los Amigos
Wasua Story
BLUE ROCK!
HAWTHORNE MUCHACHOS!
OLPH Ridgemen
PAL Cadets
Tri-Town Cadets (ha -ha!)
St. Rita's Brassmen
Avante Guarde
Morton Grove Cougars
Skokie Indians
ARGONNE REBELS!
RACINE KILTIES!
White Tornadoes
Ottawa Crusaders
Springfield Falcons (ha ha!!!)
Springfield Capital Chargers (ha ha!!)
Springfield Statesmen (ha ha!!)
McHenry Vicounts
Page Park Cadets
Memorial Lancers
Belleville Bellettes
ANAHEIM KINGSMEN!

JMurphy647

Jul 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/31/96

Matt Dillon (dil...@mugu.navy.mil) wrote:
: A brief interlude in the '96 season....
:
: Notable Drum Corps of the Past (no particular order):

Boy, I was surprised to see some of those Corps! How about . . .
Edison Lamplighters, MI
Wayne County Council, MI
Royal Lancers, MI
Green Hornets, MI
Menominee Northeranaires, MI
Golden Lancers, MI
Holy Family Defenders, MASS
General Butler Vagabonds, PENN
Falcon Cadets, NJ
Emerald Cadets, CONN
Saints, NJ
Meadowlarks, NJ
Mariners
Marching Angels, Canada
Lionettes, Canada
Sarnia Sertomanaires, Canada

Who else????

FHOlin

Jul 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/31/96

Yet another couple of long-extinct Jr. Corps were:

Evanston Lancers (died 1955)
Belmont Park Grenadiers (died about 1956)

Both Corps were from the Chicago area.

Michael Babyak

Jul 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/31/96

Chicago Royalaires
PAL Cadets
Marion Cadets
Hawthorne Muchacos
Blue Rock

--
With best regards,

Michael Babyak
New Cumberland, PA

Drew McPheeters

Jul 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/31/96

Matt Dillon wrote:

> A brief interlude in the '96 season....
>
> Notable Drum Corps of the Past (no particular order):

> Sacramento Freelancers

Lets hope this isn't permanent!

> Please add to this list...

You asked for it....

Oakland Crusaders
Offensive Lions
Toronto Optomists
Florida Vanguard
Cadets of Greece, NY
Emerald Knights
Guardsmen
Black Knights
Bleu Raiders
Argonauts
Falcon Cadets
Blessed Sacrement

And that's what I can remember at 7:00 am!

-- I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!
-- And now for something completely different...
-- The penguin on your computer will explode.
--
-- Drew B. McPheeters dr...@velveeta.apdev.cs.mci.com , dr...@frii.com

leroy donald palinsky

Jul 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/31/96

How about the Royalaires?

John

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96

Matt Dillon <dil...@mugu.navy.mil> wrote:

>A brief interlude in the '96 season....

>Notable Drum Corps of the Past (no particular order):

you forgot the Purple Lancers! They were a DCI finalist...

whitney densmore s

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96

Matt Dillon (dil...@mugu.navy.mil) wrote:
: A brief interlude in the '96 season....
:
: Notable Drum Corps of the Past (no particular order):
<snip!>
:
: Please add to this list...
: (I know some of the above currently exist in some capacity, however,
: I'm looking for corps that had some "glory days" like "DCI
: Associates," or whatever...you know, fallen brethren, etc.)

How about two more California corps?

Knight Raiders
Conquistadors

: Later.

: Matt Dillon
: '82-'83 Valley Fever
: '84 Blue Devils

Whitney

RMcfarl50

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96

How about a few more.

Liberty Bell Cadets - Phila.
Invaders - Pa.
Osmond Cadets - Phila.
Black Hawks - Phila.
West Reading Police Cadets - Pa.
Ridley Park Rangers - Pa.
Media Fawns - Pa.
Tri Community Cadets- Pa.
Rising Sun Cadets - Phila.
Vasella Musketeers - Phila.
Bells of Saint Mary's - NJ
Bellairs - NJ
Sea Horse Lancers - NJ
Haddon Heights Vagabonds - NJ

Just to name a few lost corps from the Philadelphia area.

James M. Anno

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96

Drew McPheeters <dr...@frii.com> wrote:

>Matt Dillon wrote:
>>
>> A brief interlude in the '96 season....
>>
>> Notable Drum Corps of the Past (no particular order):
>

>> Sacramento Freelancers
>
>Lets hope this isn't permanent!
>

>> Please add to this list...
>

>You asked for it....
>
>Oakland Crusaders
>Offensive Lions
>Toronto Optomists
>Florida Vanguard
>Cadets of Greece, NY
>Emerald Knights
>Guardsmen
>Black Knights
>Bleu Raiders
>Argonauts
>Falcon Cadets
>Blessed Sacrement

Magnificent Yankees, Utica, NY
St. Joseph's Cadets, Batavia, NY
St. Catherine's Queensmen, St. Albans, NY

How 'bout Srs.?

Geneva Appleknockers
Gloversville Yellow Jackets
Empire State Grenadiers
Princemen
Rochster Grey Knights

Jim Anno

LEG at cba

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96

In article <31FEA0...@mugu.navy.mil>, Matt Dillon
<dil...@mugu.navy.mil> writes:

>Please add to this list...

St. Ignatius Girls (NY)
Audubon Bon Bons (NJ)
Fire-ettes (CT)
ND-ettes (CT)
Long Island Kingsmen
CMCC Warriors
Pittsfield Boys' Club Cavaliers*
Pittsfield Skyhawks*
Pittsfield Monarchs*
Wynne Center Toppers (NY)
St. Rocco's Cadets (NY)
Kingston Indians
Bronx Kingsmen
Springfield Targets (MA)
St George Olympians (MA)

And a few seniors -
Carver Gay Blades (NJ)
Ballantine Brewers - yes they were sponsored by the brewery
Matadors (RI)
Lt. Norman Prince (MA)

* and you wonder why there is a show in Pittsfield, MA, every year.

Larry Girard, Jr.
Enfield CT Sabers (65-73)
NY Skyliners Alumni Corps

Ivan scott

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96
to jma...@shore.intercom.net

what about the corps of my youth

1. The blue notes Ishpaming,Mi
2. The Saginairs Saginaw, Mi
3. The Flint guardsmen Flint, Mi
4. The Midshipmen ? Mi
5. The Winsor Guardsmen Winsor, Ontj...@shore.intercom.net (James M.

Anno) wrote:
>Drew McPheeters <dr...@frii.com> wrote:
>
>>Matt Dillon wrote:
>>>
>>> A brief interlude in the '96 season....
>>>
>>> Notable Drum Corps of the Past (no particular order):
>>
>>> Sacramento Freelancers
>>
>>Lets hope this isn't permanent!
>>

>>> Please add to this list...

Ivan scott

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96

what about my corps from my youth

1.Saginairs Mi.
2.Blue Notes Mi.
3.Midshipmen Mi.
4.Dutch boy cadets Ont.
5.Winsor Guardsmen Ont.

Ivan scott

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96
to jma...@shore.intercom.net

Ivan scott

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96
to jma...@shore.intercom.net

Ivan scott

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96
to jma...@shore.intercom.net

Ivan scott

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96
to jma...@shore.intercom.net

Omlor

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96

All this naming and no one's mentioned DCA's Rhode Island Matadors. I
marched against them many times when I was in Cabs...they had some
sopranos that could make your ears bleed.

--John

Tom Walter

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96
to rec-arts-marc...@cisco.com

<< Notable Drum Corps of the Past (no particular order): >>

Has anyone mentioned --

St. Paul Scouts
Nisei (Chicago)
Des Plaines (Skokie) Vanguard
the Japanese Scout Corps from Los Angeles (?)

And from the "B" roster --

Ambassa'dears' (Racine)
Eau Claire Boys

Hmmm -- there WERE literally hundreds and hundreds more junior corps in
the 60's than there are now.

Oh -- and the Hamm's Indians Senior Corps

tomi...@juno.com

leroy donald palinsky

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96

OK - here's a couple more

Oshkosh Warriors - '69 World Open Champs, class B

Senioritas - all girl corps from Sacramento, won Calif.State Amer. Legion
in '66

Appleknockers

St. Rita's

St. Joe's

Charlie

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96

In article <4tpvfu$s...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, rmcf...@aol.com says...

>How about a few more.

Fire-Ettes <All Girl> CONN
Fantasia CONN <My Alumni>
St. Peters Royalaires MASS
Colonades <All Girl> ??
Blackwatch MASS
Les Chatelaines <All Girl> CAN
Rhode Island Matadors <Senior> Rhode Island
Sword Excalibur CONN
Toronados CONN
CMCC Warriors NY

These are all mainly from the now defunct Northeast Circuit. There are a lot
more that I can picture but not name. Anyone else remember???
Charlie

Joe Flynn

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96

How about....

Wilmington De Blue Rock
Hamilton Md White Knights
Haddonfield NJ Royaleers
Elkton Md Rebel Devils
Maple Shade NJ Shadettes
Philadelphia PAL Cadets
Dundalk Md Cadets
Atlantic City Seahorse Lancers
Camden NJ Rough Riders

All within 60 miles of each other!

Rich Lapham

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96

How about
Niese Ambassadors
Royal Airs

==========Matt Dillon, 7/30/96==========

/----------------------\ SCSI
|--------------------| | \ BUS Richard...@AtlantaGA.NCR.COM
| __ CyberCorps _ | | | DRIVER
[|-/OO\------------/O\----|]

Chris Maher

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

I may have missed it, but I don't think anyone has mentioned the corps I
marched in: Westchester Horizons from New York. Guess we weren't very
"notable".

How about these (sorry if already mentioned):

Regal Crownsmen - RI
Emerald Knights - NY
Our Lady of Angels - NY
Etobicoke Crusaders - Ontario
Muchachos from Troy NY
Suburban Sharpshooters MA
Earls of Bucks - PA
CMCC Warriors - NY
Knights of Kewanee - IL
Knickerbockers - NY
Syracuse Marauders - NY
Magnificent Yankees - NY

Chris Maher

Bmarbs

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

Cranford Patriots
Fantasia III

MAS

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

James M. Anno (jma...@shore.intercom.net) wrote:

: How 'bout Srs.?

: Geneva Appleknockers
: Gloversville Yellow Jackets
: Empire State Grenadiers
: Princemen
: Rochster Grey Knights

Add Guelph Royalaries to your seniors list (several RCA championships,
DCA finalist '78), and Hamburg Kingsmen(major league drumlines).

: Jim Anno

Mike S.

Jim Eiden

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

Chicago Metropolitan Area:

Vacqueros
Firemen
Illiana Lancers
Imperials
Royal Grenadiers
Des Plaines Vanguard
Fox Valley Raiders
Skokie Indians
Guardsmen
Warriors
Hornets
Warriors and Hornets were from the south side and inner city and gave
under-privedged youth a chance to escape their environments through Drum
Corps.

Midwest
Geneseo Knights (I'll never froget Eleanor Rigby)
Stardusters
Saginaires (sp)
Kneehigh's (sp)
Kilts (jr. Drum corps days)
Racine Scouts

Some of these Corps' were before my time, but legendary tales of these
Corps' were passed on to me when I marched.

Jim Eiden
Imperials
1980-1983

AJLisko

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

Okay, let's set the Wayback Machine in motion:

CT
Bpt PAL
St. Raphael's
St. Ann's
Royal Lancers
Shoreliners
Grenadiers
Conn. Yankees
Bpt. Troopers
Hot-Shots
Fireballs
Enfield Sabres
Oxford Explorers
Nutmeg Rangers
ND-ettes
Troubadours
Emerald Bucs
Emerald Cadets
Trumbull Cadets
Silver Falcons

NYC
Selden
St. Catherine's
St. Rita's
St. Joe's Patrons
Riversiders
Privateers
Bronx Kingsmen
OLPH Ridgemen
Our Lady of Mount Carmel
Lawmen
Gun Hill Lancers
Warriors

WILLIAM ZALOT

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

Matt Dillon <dil...@mugu.navy.mil> wrote:

Matt,

How about the Royal Crusaders (DCI Finalist)
Derry Patriots
CDA (Catholic dAUGHTERS oF aMERICA)
Maple City Cadets
Bucktail Regiment
Sharpsburg Cadets

Bill Z....
SURPLUS PLCS WE BUY AND SELL

Ivan scott

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96
to jfl...@1st-coast.com

what about my corps the saginairs (saginaw, mi)

Ivan scott

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96
to jfl...@1st-coast.com

Ivan scott

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96
to jfl...@1st-coast.com

what about my corps the saginairs (saginaw, mi)jfl...@1st-coast.com (Joe

Michael Hohnbaum

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

From the Pacific Northwest:

Salem Flamingoes (became the Argonauts in 75)
Salem Argonauts (were the Flamingoes - DCI associate 76, 77 and a few
times in the mid 80s. Now a youth band, chorus and
other youth music activities.)
Black Watch (from Washington, south side of Seattle)
Who (evolved into the Maruders?)
Vancouver Spartans
Crusaders (one of many corps with that name. This one was from
the Oregon City region (SE of Portland))
Spokane Renaissance

There were more but my memory fades. There use to be a drum corps circuit
Northwest Drum Corps Association (NWDCA) out here. I remember marching
at the championships, after returning from DCI, either in 76 or 77 (or both).

Michael Hohnbaum
Argonauts 76, 77

Howie Sederquist

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

On 2 Aug 1996 01:51:13 GMT, cpm...@ix.netcom.com (Chris Maher) wrote:

>I may have missed it, but I don't think anyone has mentioned the corps I
>marched in: Westchester Horizons from New York. Guess we weren't very
>"notable".
>
>How about these (sorry if already mentioned):
>
>Regal Crownsmen - RI

There was only one:
"The Saint Kevin Emerald Knights",
Boston (Dorchester, Massachusetts) 4 time National Dream Champs

Ivan scott

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96
to hb...@eng3.sequent.com

I remember the black watch they were the winners of class dci class a in
1978.

Eric Camburn

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

In article <4tt7d9$l...@cronkite.amoco.com>,
Jim Eiden <James_...@Amoco.com> wrote:
>Chicago Metropolitan Area:

A couple of editorial comments:

>Guardsmen

They're still in existence, playing at DCM shows, although they're tiny
and members are very young.

>Warriors and Hornets were from the south side and inner city and gave
>under-privedged youth a chance to escape their environments through Drum
>Corps.

Warriors are still in existence. I contributed to their tag day
earlier this year!

>Saginaires (sp)

Became Northern Aurora

>Racine Scouts

I think these guys are still in DCM aren't they?

>Jim Eiden
>Imperials
>1980-1983

Eric,

--
Eric Camburn
Consortium on Chicago School Research
Eric Camburn
Consortium on Chicago School Research
University of Chicago

Eric Camburn

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

OK, here are some obscure Jr. corps from the same area:

Bucktail Regiment
Mark Twain Cadets
Cambria Cadets
Finleyville Crusaders
Greece Cadets

My apologies if any of these are still in existence.

Jonathon Fagan

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

Uh, Star of Indiana?

Dave Franks

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

In article <4ttc77$9...@scel.sequent.com>, hb...@eng3.sequent.com (Michael
Hohnbaum) wrote:

Having marched in the Flammingos and Argonauts a bit before Mike I can add
a few names to the Pacific Northwest list:

Hawks - Portland OR
Imperial Cadets - Portland OR
Imperials - Seattle WA
Percussionaut Patriots - Spokane WA (Best DCI finish by a Northwest Corps
before the fall of the Northwest circut)
Rangers - Pendelton OR
Marauders - Kelso WA
Royal Lancers - Portland OR
Shamrocks - (?? WA)

As you can see in the late 60's early 70's the Northwest was a hot place
for Drum Corps. High insurance costs and the need to travel nationwide was
to much for the organizations budgets to handle.

--
Dave Franks | www.teleport.com/~franks
fra...@teleport.com | Not associated with Teleport,

David McBurney

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

In article <4ttdaf$s...@herald.concentric.net>, Ivan scott <jai...@cris.com> wrote:
>what about my corps the saginairs (saginaw, mi)

Saginaires are now Northern Aurora, still under the Saginaires organization,
which, if I remember correctly, also runs a youth band.

Dave

David McBurney

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

>OK, here are some obscure Jr. corps from the same area:
>

> Finleyville Crusaders
> Greece Cadets
>
>My apologies if any of these are still in existence.
>
>Eric,
>
>--

I am not sure if I would classify these two corps as obscure. Finleyville
was a top 12 corps for 1 or two years in the '70s, and I think that the
Greece Cadets one the Class A championship at least one year.

Davel

DrillDsgnr

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

Still dead in KS,

Argonne Rebels
Trailblazers
Frontiersmen
Silver Sabres
Plainsmen
Tri-Val Raiders
Larks
Continental Ambassadors
Phantoms
Scarlet Lancers

KS area
Young Admirals
Crimson Cadets
ElDodadoans

Simon

will...@aloha.com

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

Here's a few from Southern California...and a

Diplomats
Vaqueros
Los Angeles Chinese
Koyasan
Inland Empire Lancers
Fleur d'Lis
Royal Blue
Third Generation
Montery Park
California Crusaders
Hollywood Knights
Kingsmen
Blue Knights

And one from AZ:
Wranglers

Nancy

TIM2152

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

The Islanders (St. Joe's) from Green Island, NY
The Interstatesmen from Albany/Troy/Waterford/etc./etc.
The Targets from Somewherein, Mass. (may have been all girl corp)

FStegall

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

A few names from the old Drum Corps South circuit:

Memphis Blues Brass Band (longest name in drum corps history!!)
Charioteers - Troy, AL
Golden Garrison - Southgate, KY
Southernaires - New Orleans
Sky Ryders - Hutchinson, KS
Imperial Guard - Evansville, IN
Suncoast Sound - Pinellas Park, FL
Florida Wave - Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Chattahoochie Sound Association - Georgia
Nighthawks - Houston, TX
Alamo Marksmen - San Antonio, TX
Stardusters - New Orleans
Bleu Raeders - New Orleans

BobB133490

Aug 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/4/96

St. Joseph's of Batavia!

Cyber Cowboy

Aug 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/4/96

Please, do not get me started on this one:
Thunderbolts
Scarlet Knights
Grenadiers
Troubadors
Trumbull Cadets
Bengal Lancers
Excalibur
Fletcher Raiders
Royal Lancers
Marionettes
Skylarks
Cyclones
Explorers
Stratford PAL
Surfsiders
Shoreliners
Stateliners
Golden Crusaders
Sabers
Ambassadors
ND-ettes
Bridgeport PAL
Colonials
AND THESE ARE JUST NEW ENGLAND CORPS!! We're better off?--BULL!!

Smata2

Aug 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/4/96

How can you list NYC corps and leave out St. Rocco's Cadets from Brooklyn.

Peter Nielsen

Aug 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/4/96

General Puttnams Men, from Ohio, I think, circa 1980.

Bill

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

In <4u30uh$q2s$1...@mhadg.production.compuserve.com> Cyber Cowboy
ST.RAPHAEL'S GOLDEN BUCCANEERS

Cyber Cowboy

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

Let's not forget:

Toronto Optimists
St. Kevins
27th Lancers
De LaSalle Oaklands
Monarchs
St. Joseph's Batavia
Watkins Glenn Squires
Knickerbockers
Bronx Kingsmen
OLPH Ridgemen
St. Rita's Brassmen
Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights
Pacers
Pittsfield Cavaliers

Oh well..that's what happens when drum corps changed from a means
of a community to serve its youth, into an end that serves
itself. Age-outs are now passed mercenary values instead of a
desire to give back. It exchanged civic, community, and veteran
support for staff creativity.

Stephen Ford

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

Seniors still not mentioned:

REILLY RAIDERS
Archer Epler Musketeers
Pittsburgh Rockets
York White Roses
Interstatesmen
Marksmen
Skokie Indians
Conn. Yankees
Harvey Seeds Miami Rebels
Chicago Men of Brass
Chicago Connection
Winfield Scott Rebels
Les Diplomates
Canadian Ambassadors
Canadian Commanders
Edison Lamplighters
Riverside Jersey Joes
Hanover Lancers
Perth-Amboy Dukes
Garden Statesmen
Erie Thunderbirds

Ivan scott

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96
to 73303...@compuserve.com

Yours was the best DAMN reply/comentary that I have heard. It is to bad
that drum corps as we knew it is dead.Cyber Cowboy

Ivan scott

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

Pete, right on General put puts were one of my fav.

Ivan scott

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96
to 73303...@compuserve.com

Ivan scott

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

That is the best reply/comentary that I have heard. It is to bad that
Drum corps as we knew it is now dead.

Ivan scott

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96
to 73303...@compuserve.com

CMccraryjr

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

How can anyone forget the "Fresno Ferns"????
Ray McCrary (cmccr...@aol.com)
Volunteer Support Staff member, Carolina Crown DBC

"The children of the night. Such music they make!"....Stoker
"Anyone can be sane. It takes a REAL nut to volunteer for this!"

hre...@epix.net

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

In Article<4trm9p$d...@ccshst05.uoguelph.ca>, <ms...@uoguelph.ca> writes:
> From: ms...@uoguelph.ca (MAS)
> Newsgroups: rec.arts.marching.drumcorps
> Subject: Re: Notable Drum Corps of the Past
> Date: 2 Aug 1996 01:40:09 GMT

> James M. Anno (jma...@shore.intercom.net) wrote:
>
> : How 'bout Srs.?
>
> : Geneva Appleknockers
> : Gloversville Yellow Jackets
> : Empire State Grenadiers
> : Princemen
> : Rochster Grey Knights
>
> Add Guelph Royalaries to your seniors list (several RCA championships,
> DCA finalist '78), and Hamburg Kingsmen(major league drumlines).
>

> : Jim Anno
>
> Mike S.
Also add the Bonnie Scots from Millersburg, Pa.
Harold Reisch SOP. 1958-59

LEG at cba

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

In article <4u0vm0$f...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, tim...@aol.com (TIM2152)
writes:

>The Targets from Somewherein, Mass. (may have been all girl corp)

Targets, Springfield MA - Co-ed
Mt. Carmel Carmelites, Springfield MA - All Girls (I think)
Berkshire Pom Poms, Pittsfield MA - All Girls, went co-ed later with name
change

Larry Girard, Jr.
Enfield CT Sabers (65-73)
NY Skyliners Alumni Corps

LEG at cba

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

In article <4u14oo$h...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, fste...@aol.com (FStegall)
writes:

>Memphis Blues Brass Band (longest name in drum corps history!!)

Floyd,

Surely you jest!

Our Lady of Perpetual Help (OLPH) Ridgemen, NYC
City Mission Cadet Corps (CMCC) Warriors, NYC
Our Lady of the Snows "Stormy Knights", Queens, NY (I kid you not!)

I'm sure there are others, just as long and just as awkward.

LEG at cba

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

In article <4u30uh$q2s$1...@mhadg.production.compuserve.com>, Cyber Cowboy
<73303...@CompuServe.COM> writes:

If I may be so bold, these are all CONNECTICUT CORPS. And, adding to the
list, Centurions, Seymour Girls along with those that others have offered
up, just how many of these corps are still active???

To the best of my knowledge, NONE! (What a shame.)

LEG at cba

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

In article <4u3gtu$d...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, sma...@aol.com (Smata2)
writes:

>How can you list NYC corps and leave out St. Rocco's Cadets from
Brooklyn.

You can't!

LEG at cba

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

In article <4u3klf$9j8$1...@mhade.production.compuserve.com>, Cyber Cowboy
<73303...@CompuServe.COM> writes:

> Age-outs are now passed mercenary values instead of a
>desire to give back. It exchanged civic, community, and veteran
>support for staff creativity.

Well, maybe in some cases you're right. But, after seeing BAC last night
at their home show, I am convinced that there are a number of age-outs
supporting the corps.

MrFlasher

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

Satans Angels
Angels of Ohio
Cleveland Caballeros
Port Clinton (all girl)

Gordy Jackson
Angels 64-66
Marion Cadets 69-71 (Instructor)
Glassmen 72-74 (Insturctor)

Readingars

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

The Hershey Chocolatiers were sweet.

Howie Sederquist

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

Washington-Carver !

Howie Sederquist

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

On 4 Aug 1996 20:57:34 -0400, sma...@aol.com (Smata2) wrote:

>How can you list NYC corps and leave out St. Rocco's Cadets from Brooklyn.

He probally knew what happened at the Barnum Hotel in Bridgeport back
in 1964 .......................

Uncle Steve

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

How about a few more from the old Eastern States Circuit (without thinking
too hard)....

Brookhaven Crusaders
507 Hornets/Keystone Regiment (merged to form the Crossmen in 1974)
Easton Chessmen
BuxMont Raiders
Cramer Hill Roughriders
Valley Grenadiers
Apalachin Grenadiers
Barons of Steuben (younger members of the same family now run Spectrum)
Audubon Bob Bons
Bracken Cavaliers
Earls of Bucks
Long Island Kingmen
CMCC Warriors
(and I didn't even try!!!)

Then there was one other corps that was overlooked...
what about BLUE ROCK?!? What a fabulous season and show they had in 1971!
Had there been a DCI, they might have won it, but then again......!

Fun to think back
Stephan Anderman
Stillwater, NY
sand...@delphi.com

zpwes...@trident.tec.sc.us

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

In article <4u5pg3$d...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, lega...@aol.com (LEG at cba) writes:
>>Memphis Blues Brass Band (longest name in drum corps history!!)
> Surely you jest!
>
> Our Lady of Perpetual Help (OLPH) Ridgemen, NYC
> City Mission Cadet Corps (CMCC) Warriors, NYC
> Our Lady of the Snows "Stormy Knights", Queens, NY (I kid you not!)
>
> I'm sure there are others, just as long and just as awkward.

Our Lady of the Holy Rosery Queesmen, Kenosha, WI
The Original 121st Street F. A. Drum and Bugle Corps
(now where were they from? I just remember seeing their base drum once)

Lee Westbrock

Kilties

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

Boys of 76 - Racine
Kenosha Shoreliners
Mercy - Milwaukee
Cedarburg Thunderbolts

FredV

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

OK, the Toronadoes ( fairfield, FT)
The Fairfield Colonades all girls
the Springdale ( CT) All Girl ( Great Drum line!!)

And of the course the Royal Lancers
the Bengal Lancers, the Milford Shoreliners ( eventually mergering with
the Brassmen for a go at the early DCIs), St. Rapheal's three drum corps:
the Bucs, the Musketeers and the Marionettes, St Ann's, Trumbull
Trobadors, Trumbull Cadets, PAL, and the Bridgeport Fire Dept. even
sponsored a corps for toe years... the name escapes me...

FredV

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

Braintree Warriers?

FredV

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

Went to a show in '62 and saw..

The Yellow Jackets
The Keystoners from Milton
The Critereons
The Bonnie Scots ( still around as the Westshoremn)
The Choclateers
Whippany Colonials ( having moved from Harrison)
And the "Bunnie Hop" Bridgeport Troopers( Catholic War veteran Senior
National Champs of 1957!)

Same year went to a junior show and saw

Fairlawn Police Cadets ( winner)
Neptune Shoreliners
Dumont Police Cadets
St Brendans
and Imperials of St. Patrick

Oh, well......

FredV

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

Jersey Devils ( the Drums corps of the 50s and 60s)

Norwalk Hot Shots

St. Catherine's Queensmen

Floyd Bennett Golden Eagles

Our Lady of Loretto

FredV

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

Utica Yankees were excellent!!!

Michael Babyak

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

Readingars wrote:

> The Hershey Chocolatiers were sweet.

How about the --
Pittsburgh Rockets
Princemen
Milton Keystoners
Ebensburg Legionaires
Tyrone Gardner Guards
Westmoreland Esquires
Latrobe Colonials
Sharpsburg Cadets
Carver Gay Blades
...All senior corps

FredV

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

St. Roccos Golden Aces!!!!

FredV

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

The Targets were the Junior corps of the Marksmen form Springfield

James A. Chappell

Aug 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/8/96

Pittsburgh (Finleyville) Royal Crusaders
Watkins Glen Squires
Buckeye State Caballaros (a.k.a. Cleveland Caballaros)

--
| |"You're not me,
James A. Chappell | chap...@inlink.com | therefore you're
St. Louis, MO USA | http://www.inlink.com/~chappell | irrelevent"
O- | | -- Dogbert

Phillip Sink

Aug 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/8/96

Ivan scott wrote:

> what about the corps of my youth
>
> 1. The blue notes Ishpaming,Mi
> 2. The Saginairs Saginaw, Mi
> 3. The Flint guardsmen Flint, Mi
> 4. The Midshipmen ? Mi
> 5. The Winsor Guardsmen Winsor, OntWhat about the Blue Devils? They were great once, and they're still
great!

--
"The Truth Will Make You Free; The Trick is to Find It"

Cyber Cowboy

Aug 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/8/96

A few more wonderful corps, now fond memories:

Mello-Dears
Gauchos
Valley-Aires
Nisei Ambassasdors
St. Raphael's
Cambridge Caballeros

Chris

Aug 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/8/96

Hey, don't forget about the Cleveland Cabs!

Paul Strogen

Aug 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/8/96

Brockport-Batavia Cavaliers
Scout House

Paul Strogen, St. Joe's '54-'59

DVAdams

Aug 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/9/96

Black Knights- Belleville, IL
Blackhawks- Kankakee, IL
Crusaders- Ottawa, IL
Ebony Guard- Chicago ( Garfield Park ) IL
Flying Dutchmen- Quincy, IL
Scarlet Knights- Gurnee IL
Purple Knights- Rockford, IL
Viscounts- McHenry, IL

Bells of St. Mary's- Milwaukee ( area ) WI
Capitolaires, Madison, WI
Kingsmen, Kenosha, WI (SR)
Shoreliners- Kenosha, WI
Windjammers- Port Washington, WI
Wranglers- West Allis, WI
Zephyrs- Stevens Point WI

Royalaires- San Leandro, CA

Commanders- Burlington, Ont. (SR)
Preston Scout House- Ont.(?)
Midlanders- London, Ont.

Dave Adams PR '78
Scarlet Knights '68-'77

Pat

Aug 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/10/96

In article <4tqt1v$1...@herald.concentric.net>, jai...@cris.com says...

>what about the corps of my youth
>
>1. The blue notes Ishpaming,Mi
>2. The Saginairs Saginaw, Mi
>3. The Flint guardsmen Flint, Mi
>4. The Midshipmen ? Mi
>5. The Winsor Guardsmen Winsor, Ontj...@shore.intercom.net (James M.

Midshipmen Petoskey, MI

I didn't realize so many other Michigan corps went down.

Pat

JAMITOR

Aug 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/11/96

Here are some more:
St.Patrick's Cadets
Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights
St.Lucy's Cadets
Manville Sacred Heart Crusaders
Saints
Wayne Monarchs
The Travelers
Bronx Kingsmen
Cambridge Caballeros
27th Lancers
St.Andrews Bridgemen
Blue Rock
And, THE green machine-St.Vincent's Cadets
(My Dad would never forgive me if I left them out!!!)

Danny Raymond Jr.
New York Skyliners 87,88
DCA Individual Snare Champion 89,90
Syracuse Brigadiers Percussion Staff 96

Robert Hill

Aug 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/11/96

Anyone get these?

St.Ritas Brassmen
Milford Shoreliners
St.Paul Scouts
CMCC Warriors
Chicago RoyalAirs
DesPlaines Vanguard

Bob

KZ2

Aug 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/11/96

Dear Bob,

Milford Shoreliners.... notable?...come on now..if you are going to go
that far you might as well include the entire northeastern circuit circa
1973!....

Karen

Smata2

Aug 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/11/96

The TARGETS were never a part of the MARKSMEN organization. The TARGETS
were an independent jr. corps. During their early years some of their
instructors were from the MARKSMEN.

Bill

Aug 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/12/96
I was in ST.Raphael's Golden Buccaneers. I thought at
one point the Shoreliners were ready to become a top
notch corp.

DONALD R, AGER

Aug 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/12/96

What about the Racine Scouts of Racine, Wi or
the Racine Kilties or Boys of 76 American Legion of Racine, Wi?
Don

Eric Senzig

Aug 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/13/96
to rec-arts-marc...@cisco.com

Anyone remember the Wheaton Vaqueros from Illinois?

Eric

Corkie Rezabek

Aug 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/13/96
to cto...@stratos.net

From Ohio:
Miami Valley Lancers
Eaglettes
Hibernian Lancers
Buckeyes
Northern Lights (aka the Northern Heave, with apologies to Van Faughner)
Bellefontaine Angels
The Jets (feeder corps for the Marion Cadets)
Titans
YMCA's (pronounced "yomkahs") aka BJ Raiders
Vermillion Vista

Also:
CD of A (Catholic Daughters of America, Western PA)
Purple Lancers (NY)
Sarnia Buccaneers (Canada)
Golden Garrison (Michigan)

Jim Eiden

Aug 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/13/96

Yes, we used to compete against them all the time.

Jim Eiden
Imperials
1980-1983

James A. Chappell

Aug 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/14/96

On Tue, 13 Aug 1996 00:00:33 -0700, Corkie Rezabek <cor...@alpha.wcoil.com> wrote:
>From Ohio:

>Buckeyes
I knew a bunch a people who got their start with the Buckeyes

>Northern Lights (aka the Northern Heave, with apologies to Van Faughner)

The subject says NOTABLE Drum Corps of the Past! :-)

>YMCA's (pronounced "yomkahs") aka BJ Raiders

I remember them as a parade corps. Did they ever compete?

Mike & Mary Casey

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

In article <4u6d84$s...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, mrfl...@aol.com (MrFlasher) says:

>Satans Angels
>Angels of Ohio
>Cleveland Caballeros
>Port Clinton (all girl)
>
>Gordy Jackson
>Angels 64-66
>Marion Cadets 69-71 (Instructor)
>Glassmen 72-74 (Insturctor)

Gordy you old fart! How are you? Wondered if anyone was ever going to
mention Satans Angels. Didn't expect anyone to mention Angels of Ohio,
but the senior corps finished 6th in '54. Good to hear from you. We're
still in Fredericksburg, Va. Had tickets for Allentown, but a surprise
kidney cancer put me in the hospital, and had to give them up. Let us
know how you're doing.

Mike Casey
Satans Angels 55-61 (groom)
Angels of Ohio 64-66 (bass and contra bass)

GAPDLS

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

How about -

Maple City Cadets (LaPorte, IN)
LaPorte Lancers (senior)
Sandusky Eaglettes (all-girls Sandusky, OH)
Norwood Park Imperials (Chicago area)
Mariners (South Milwaukee)

It is loading more messages.