Best drum major salute

Thomas Pohl

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00
In you opinion, who do you think has / had the best dum major salute of
all time (include corps, year, and name of DM [if known])?

+MacKinley

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00
'78, '79, '80 Guardsmen, with the British military hop and palm forward.
Really loved that corps!

--
http://members.xoom.com/mackinley/kfpb.html
the pipe band

RJP

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
all of the Madison Scout DM's
"Thomas Pohl" <sunb...@webtv.net> wrote in message

il83c...@my-deja.com

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
Madison's have always been good, but:

I remember one from 1980, I want to say it was SOA. I'm not sure they
used it all year, but it went something like this:

On the starting line... Drum major, is your Corps ready?

DM looks, sees the guard member front and center doesn't have a flag.
He turns and yells "Noooooo", while DM#2 runs from the back sideline,
'head-chopping' the rest of the guard w/ the 'missing' flag. As he
goes by, equipment is spinning, flying, etc. He hands her the flag,
and both DM's salute. Ease into Georgia on my mind....

27 Lancers also had some good salutes

Alan

In article <28840-39...@storefull-162.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,

sunb...@webtv.net (Thomas Pohl) wrote:
> In you opinion, who do you think has / had the best dum major salute
of
> all time (include corps, year, and name of DM [if known])?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Idontwan2know

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
In terms of pure technique, I'd have to go with the guy from Glassmen
97...Johnathan Miller, I think was his name.

Alan

DarkImage4

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
There was the one year (I think) it was Santa Clara....the quick hand swing out
and the super slow motion of the hand to the brow

Sharcast2

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
A Drum Major salute?!?!? Who the hell cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not even close to
what the rest of the drum corps does. Why would anyone even give it a second
thought! This newsgroup is getting BORING!!!!!!!!!!! Give me a break!!!

Sharon Castigliego
Marching member Jr corps top 12 and
Sr corps top 10

Chris Mignemi

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
Hey Tom - I always liked the Blue Kanigots (Knights) salute...pretty cool with
the arm circle wave thingy...

From your former section leader - Come back in line, you etch-a-sketch stumble
bum! We need 2nds!!!

Chris Mignemi
Sunrisers Drum & Bugle Corps 1994 - ?

Peart101

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
>A Drum Major salute?!?!? Who the hell cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not even close to
>what the rest of the drum corps does. Why would anyone even give it a second
>thought! This newsgroup is getting BORING!!!!!!!!!!! Give me a break!!!

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Uncle Kash

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
Chris Mignemi wrote:

> Hey Tom - I always liked the Blue Kanigots (Knights) salute...pretty cool with
> the arm circle wave thingy...

I liked the Blue Knights salute from 1993 - I don't know if it's the same every
year... It's the one I used (copied) in high school

Kash

DawsonBoy19

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
Tommy from Phantom 99

Jason Lowe

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00

VK.. any year..

The salute in 1990 retreat was pretty sweet w/ the lawn chairs, too.

Psyduck152

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
James Gulke, BD drum major 93-98, he was slick, cool, and just an all around
bad ass. He was truelly big, bad and blue. My image of BD what the blue team is
like.

Damon Williams, SCV drum major (i forget which years, but he aged out in 98),
he is what i imagine when i think SCV, hard, powerful, intimidating.

Skeetch9000

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
Tommy Feagin, PR 99. Cool!

-Steve
Corona del Sol Pit '98
CdS "Cymbal Line" '99
Tenors '00
Copper Star DBC Bass '00

Nikk Pilato

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition, Thomas Pohl:
> In you opinion, who do you think has / had the best dum major salute of
> all time (include corps, year, and name of DM [if known])?

VK salutes were always fun.

I've also always been partial to Regiment's Drum Major salutes.

++
np

rsfc.nikknakks.net
read.the.damn.faq.newbies

"This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper"

-T.S. Eliot

Cliff DeArment

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00

Thomas Pohl wrote:

> In you opinion, who do you think has / had the best dum major salute of
> all time (include corps, year, and name of DM [if known])?

George Parks, Reading Buccaneers, mid seventies. Complete with a towering
mace toss and blind catch. Amazing.

LEG at cba

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
Don't get me started on what has happend to the "military salute" .....

Larry "G"

bhsdl

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
James Patrick Cronin of the Boston Crusaders in 1990 for his "Terminator"
Salute (that man was scary in uniform!)

Thanks,

--
Andrew Carpenter
bh...@yahoo.com

Garfld87

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
My all time fav. would have to go to SCV 85,86,87......That was a salute!!!!!!

Taylor Jenkins

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
'93 Star - Matt Harloff

except he knocked his shako on the ground but I'm willing to overlook
it

Daniel O'Neal

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
LEG at cba wrote:

> Don't get me started on what has happend to the "military salute" ...

I gotta tell ya -- I really despise those high school drum major salutes
where the kids feel the need to swing their arms around for sixteen
counts or more. That's absolutely ridiculous. I don't know about other
parts of the country, but around here it's pretty much required. Why
can't they just salute and be done with it? At least drum corps hasn't
gotten that bad, Larry.

Dan

WhiteDawn18

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
<< '93 Star - Matt Harloff

except he knocked his shako on the ground but I'm willing to overlook
it >>

no he didn't....he handed it to someone...

apperently he was borrowing another corps' podium, and it wasn't big enough to
keep the shako on...I asked him about it once...

Mike Margraf

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
I don't know if this is what you were thinking of, but one extremely cool
salute, if you can get the video, was in Freelancer's '83 show. They have
this very energetic, very intense, black dm. They are playing some jazz #
with a cool walking contra part. At the end, when he is totally getting
into directing the music, he suddenly snaps to stiff attention, and with the
last few counts, does an about face, shoots his arm straight out, and cuts
the corps off with the salute he gives to the audience.

I have no idea who this guy was, or if he was even a good drum major, but
that is on the PBS broadcast & is one of the great dm moments etched in my
memory. Not necessarily the "best" salute of all time, but definitely
unlike any other I've seen since, and bursting with intensity. I'd love to
see someone do that, or a variation on that on the field today.

Jeromey

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
snorezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzz.Now I know why I never won best dm.

bob_abe

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
In article <20000502020134...@ng-fl1.aol.com>,
dawso...@aol.com (DawsonBoy19) wrote:
> Tommy from Phantom 99

This really isn't that relevent....but how about grant Dawson in '93
finale. when they go up to recieve Phantoms award....camera focused
tightly on him...what does he...he dicks up and is late....haha!! funny
funny.......But Christy Spears made up for any mistakes Phantom Majors
ever had.......but honestly I wasn't watching her hands....haha

bob_abe

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
In article <sgu2h7...@corp.supernews.com>,

Kiwanis Kavaliers '95...this guy through his arm out infront of him,
then swear to God in the slowest motion you've ever seen..brought it in
to salute....it took like a minute for it all to happen....kick ass!!

John Rochon

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
Mike Margraf wrote:

> I don't know if this is what you were thinking of, but one extremely cool
> salute, if you can get the video, was in Freelancer's '83 show. They have
> this very energetic, very intense, black dm. They are playing some jazz #
> with a cool walking contra part. At the end, when he is totally getting
> into directing the music, he suddenly snaps to stiff attention, and with the
> last few counts, does an about face, shoots his arm straight out, and cuts
> the corps off with the salute he gives to the audience.
>
> I have no idea who this guy was, or if he was even a good drum major, but
> that is on the PBS broadcast & is one of the great dm moments etched in my
> memory. Not necessarily the "best" salute of all time, but definitely
> unlike any other I've seen since, and bursting with intensity. I'd love to
> see someone do that, or a variation on that on the field today.

Mike,

Carl was truly intense, and according to stories of him heard throughout
my first couple of years of Freelancers, a damn good drum major too.
Didn't he also play a baritone solo in that show?

Another truly intense Freelancers DM was Paul Zimny in '77. His idea of
a sulute at the end of Bellavia was throwing his plume into the stands
at finals. And he was even more intense off the field as a marching
instructor. You can see him on Bob Doran's Royal Aires site DMing the
Royal Aires at quite a young age.

More DM Salute votes go to SCVs DMs in 86 and '87 and Mark Ramthun of
Madison in '87.

--

John Rochon
Baritone - Freelancers '85

"You gonna do somethin, or just stand there and bleed?"
- Wyatt Earp - "Tombstone"

Nikk Pilato

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition, bob_abe:

> This really isn't that relevent....but how about grant Dawson in '93
> finale. when they go up to recieve Phantoms award....camera focused
> tightly on him...what does he...he dicks up and is late....haha!! funny

Actually, Grant got it right...and Aaron was early. They had changed the
salute the day before, and Ozminski forgot the change. He admitted it to
me last year after we told the story at a bonfire.

PattyBush

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
CMCC Warriors....back flips and all!

--
Patty Bush
pb...@optonline.net

John Rochon <Zar...@airmail.net> wrote in message

BDBsick

Thomas Pohl

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
Hey Chris,

Maybe in August when I get my driver's license back. Hmm...just in time
for DCA's! I guess you'll have to play even LOUDER (if that's humanly
possible) to make up for my loss!

Thomas Pohl

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
Oh yeah Chris, that etch-a-sketch stumble bum was TED (a.k.a. Pot Belly
Man), the only person in drum corps history to get cut the day before
DCA Prelims!

Danny Ruiz

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
My vote goes to Damon Williams of SCV. I've always liked the cool smirk that
Madison DM's seem to have, but to me the salute that is etched in my head is
the one that Dustin Winslow of the Cavies does at the end of their 1995
performance...the look on his face is just awesome.

L8s...

Danny D. Ruiz | How many times do you hear it? It goes
dand...@mindspring.com | on all day long. Everyone knows
| everything, and no one's ever wrong...
1998-1999 U.M. Band of the Hour Tuba| Until later...- Rush (Show Don't Tell)
2000 Boston Crusaders Contrabass ----------------------------------------

Views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Boston Crusaders.

LEG at cba

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
>I gotta tell ya -- I really despise those high school drum major salutes
>where the kids feel the need to swing their arms around for sixteen
>counts or more. That's absolutely ridiculous. I don't know about other
>parts of the country, but around here it's pretty much required. Why
>can't they just salute and be done with it? At least drum corps hasn't
>gotten that bad, Larry.

Years ago you could get a penalty for not executing a true military salute....

Larry "G"

bari...@my-deja.com

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
I would have to name three

Star 1990? - DM Unknown
Bluecoats 1996 - Victor Banfield(Best Drum Major 1996)
Bluecoats 1997 - DM Unknown

All three of these are pretty cool.

Ben

sunb...@webtv.net (Thomas Pohl) wrote:
> In you opinion, who do you think has / had the best dum major salute
of
> all time (include corps, year, and name of DM [if known])?

Mangry

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
>In you opinion, who do you think has / had the best dum major salute of
>all time (include corps, year, and name of DM [if known])?

I like the salute that the 2 DM's of SCV did back in 1986. When the final
scores were announced they creeped out very slooooww to position and then a
lightning fast salute. All of SCV DM's are very sharp.

Soloist79

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
Yeah, well overall, I believe Tommy is a better conductor.

cr...@my-deja.com

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
In article <28840-39...@storefull-162.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,

sunb...@webtv.net (Thomas Pohl) wrote:
> In you opinion, who do you think has / had the best dum major salute
of
> all time (include corps, year, and name of DM [if known])?
>
>I believe in the late 60's or early 70's there was a corps called the
Spectical City Mariners and the DM had the nickname of Captain Crunch.
He was delivered by helicopter to the field for the corps opener.

Pathway19

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
I always liked in 1996 when Phantom Regiment's Kristy Spears did that complete
hardass salute and flips off the helmet only to expose a warm soft smile.

Ryan Carter

Wayne Adam Burlison

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
Thomas Pohl wrote:

> In you opinion, who do you think has / had the best dum major salute of
> all time (include corps, year, and name of DM [if known])?

Two Things:

Cavies 1993. The whole guard did it with the DM. It was very sharp.

Whoever is complaining about this thread - IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE THREAD
IGNORE THE DAMN THING. Some people like to make "small talk" It helps
bring back other memories. SO SHUT YER MOUTH.

WAB

bob_abe

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
Well I stand corrected....I apologize to Grant....SO it was
Aaron...Interesting

In article <8en7rh$4i$2...@news.fsu.edu>,

Nikk Pilato

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition, Wayne Adam Burlison:

> Whoever is complaining about this thread - IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE THREAD
> IGNORE THE DAMN THING. Some people like to make "small talk" It helps
> bring back other memories. SO SHUT YER MOUTH.

Wow...somebody is complaining about this thread? It deals with drum
corps, it discusses a facet of drum corps life....what more do people
want? If someone is really complaining about this thread, I suggest you
make one up of your own.

bari...@my-deja.com

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
In article <20000501230539...@ng-fj1.aol.com>,
shar...@aol.com (Sharcast2) wrote:
> A Drum Major salute?!?!? Who the hell cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not even
close to
> what the rest of the drum corps does. Why would anyone even give it
a second
> thought! This newsgroup is getting BORING!!!!!!!!!!! Give me a
break!!!

> Sharon Castigliego
> Marching member Jr corps top 12 and
> Sr corps top 10

Realy which corps?? I think this is interetsing, so why don'y you just
not respond if it is so boring.
TJD

Paula Beard

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
Item of interest regarding the DM, Captain Crunch of the Spectacle City
Mariners - that was the late John Brazale, who went on to do great things
with Phantom's marching/visual line.

He was a wonderful drum major and showman.

Jodeen Popp

Goods

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
Dear Sharon, If you don't have something nice to say, please take the pole out of
your butt, then take the pole out of that pole's butt. then try again.Thank you.

Dave Good
Not a marching member of a top 12 corps

Goods

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
The salute from the end of SCV 98 is probibly the sharpest I've seen. It's so
percise.

The DM from PR 94 was really good too.

D.Good
ECJ 98

lil_...@my-deja.com

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
In article <20000503012119...@ng-fz1.aol.com>,
Kristy Spears (SHE MAKES ME SWEAT) was an amazing drum major (just like
all the other great majors to come out of Phantom) but a few that
really stick out in my mind are Marcia Hansen (PR 83-84) I didn't know
it was a woman until she took the helmet off. all of Miami was silent.
They then proceeded to tear the crappy stadium apart with 18 snares and
the 1812 overture.
Another that sparks memories is Mark Horigan (PR 89) He was like 8
feet tall, and in that Black uniform looked like Darth Vader. By the
way, he was a good DM as well.
Gets off the soapbox, and bows to the crowd
Gene Bennett III
90 Dutch Boy
91-92 Crossmen
93-97 USMC drum and Bugle corps
98 Caballeros
00USNA D&B perc caption head

jedi...@my-deja.com

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
In article <28840-39...@storefull-162.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,

sunb...@webtv.net (Thomas Pohl) wrote:
> In you opinion, who do you think has / had the best dum major salute
of
> all time (include corps, year, and name of DM [if known])?

Kiwanis Kavaliers' drum major from 1989 to 1996, Matt Bluhm. He had
this kind of slow motion salute. His salute in '96, when the corps
played West Side Story was the best! After his long, slow-mo salute, he
started doing all of these other cheesy things (pointing to crowd
members in the cool swagger, flexing, waving, etc.) while the hornline
was coming in. Very entertaining!

doug
'We are ONE'

Thomas Pohl

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
My personal favorite was my first DM Lee Wetherington in the 1987
Bridgemen. When the Field Announcer would ask if the corps was ready,
he would turn around and comically shrug his shoulders indicating "I
don't know?". It never failed to get a laugh fro the audience. He was
a pretty good DM too. Loved that thick Georgia accent!

Dave Painchaud

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00

Jim Jordan - '80 Bridgemen.

He did the bump with a "chicken." Would I make this stuff up?

Be easy,

Dave

Convismus

May 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/6/00
Velvet knights any year.

KJHall1960

May 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/6/00
>Subject: Re: Best drum major salute

Carleen Tesavis....Royal Coachmen (NY) 1974-76

Lee Wetherington

Dec 5, 2023, 1:23:53 PM12/5/23
Thomas, you posted this 23 years ago. I just came across it. This made my day. Glad you liked my shrug. A Georgia hick thrown into the middle of a bunch of kids from Jersey and the City, it's a fish-out-water sitcom that writes itself. That was a great summer, despite (or maybe because of) all the hardships we endured together. Cheers, man!