Saddest Drum Corps Memory

EDean88034

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

Our corps was coming back from a show in Aurora, Illionis. Most people on the
bus were asleep as it was late. I remember waking up because the bus was
slowing down as we passed a pretty bad car accident. We finally got home. The
next day we were all pretty much in shock as we found out that the accident
that we had passed had resulted in the deaths of Mr & Mrs Markle. Their
daughter and son both marched in our corp and the parents were 2 of the nicest
people that I had ever known.This was 1973 and the week before we were to have
marched in DCI midwest.
Liz D
69-74 Royals
75-76 Royal Chevaliers

RDeschene

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

Liz,

Thank you for sharing this very sad, but very moving, memory. My
saddest drum corps memory is of a good friend of mine from college who
marched guard in another corps, and has since died of complications
from AIDS. I think of him almost every day., even though we both
marched almost 20 years ago.

Sue

Crkek7377

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

Late one Friday night in 1973 I came home to get ready for a drum corps weekend
along with my two sisters that were marching with me in the same corps. When I
got home I found out that my sister Kathy was sick with what we thought was
the flu. I was sad for my sister because in 6 years of being in drum corps she
had never missed a show and she wouldn't be able to go with the corps on the
next day. since it was a long weekend with three shows in the upper mid west it
was decided that she would join the corps sunday when she felt better. It
wasn't untill the next night that the corps heard the news that my sister was
More then sick . At that time on saturday night she was given a 50/50 chance of
living. My sister went Home to march in Gods rifle line that monday.

24 years
later that is still the saddest day of my life.

I want all of you who read this to
know that Kathy never dropped her rifle in competition. In the 5 years she was
in the Chevaliers rifle line.

David Dean

Bradford Fowler

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

Four or so hours before we were scheduled to be on the field for the Show of
Shows in Rockford, I found out my cousin Eric had been killed in a car crash
back in Boulder Creek, CA. From that point on, I took a moment to kneel in
silence after our warm up before moving to my starting line position. One
time somebody tried to get me hyped while I was doing this, and I had to
shove them away from me and tell them to knock it off.

I marched the show that night, but my heart wasn't in it.

-b...
|Brad Fowler, member:Capital Sound '97, lead mello;
| Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity, Wisconsin Gamma
|http://www.beloit.edu/~fowlerb/Bradpad.html
|http://www.beloit.edu/~phipsi/ ->co webadmin<sort of>
|Smith & Wesson: The original point and click interface.

Ron Allard

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

The saddest memory I have is of the 1993 DCA finals, when they wheeled
Butch Anderson out in a wheelchair for the award ceremony. All the DMs
there presented him with a plaque for "being our teacher".

Everyone knew they were saying goodbye.

Jim Russo just about lost it when he hugged him, and the stadium was
awash in tears during the standing-o when it was over.
I still get blurry-eyed when I watch the video, remembering the
out-pouring of affection, and the sad end of a legend.

Butchie, you are missed...

Ron in Vegas

JimVBrown

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

In 1994 I was director and drum major of the Railmen Sr. Corps and we were
hosting our home show in Bellevue, NE. I was pretty busy throughout the day
and unreachable. When I got home that night after the show, I found out that 3
of my best friends had been in a car accident on the way to see the show. My
best friend in the whole world was killed in that accident. Needless to say I
missed the show the next night.

James

DVAdams

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

>Late one Friday night in 1973 I came home to get ready for a drum corps
weekend

Geez, you have to wonder what was going on in 1973.
There was a guy in our corps in 1973 who carried the American flag.
He was about 6'4 and he was a two sport athlete. He used to carry the flag one
handed _over_his _head_. He could carry it so high in the air that in parades
it used to get caught on telephone and power lines. One summer night we came to
rehearsal only to find out that he had died of a stroke. Roger Motayitis was
16 when he died. He was a fine young man, and a friend.

Dave Adams PR '78
Scarlet Knights '68-'77

Steve Sorrell

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

Although I might not have been there, I have heard the stories told by
several people about the accident that killed the great Jim Ott. I
never knew the man, but just thinking about it saddens me. I have
played his music and would have loved to have known the man behind it.

Another very sad day for Spirit of Atlanta was much more recent. Just a
few years ago, Mr. Tam Easterwood died from a brain tumor (or something
very similar). He taught Spirit's great rifle lines in the 80's and was
program coordinator for some of the best shows in the mid to late 80's.
He was a very talented individual that is missed by all that knew him.

Steve

Jake

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

I will never forget the time in the mid-60's when a bus carrying members
of the Norwood park (Skokie)Imperials went down the side of an
embankment killing one of their members, Charles Guider. All the local
Chicago corps (Cavies, Nisei, Vanguard, St. Andrews, Royals Airs, and a
host of others) sent uniformed members to his funeral, all intermingled
instead of in groups. That ended their tour for the year. The next
year they cam back big and strong with all performances dedicated to
Charles.

jake
Nisei 68-71

Ron Allard

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

On 24 Nov 1997 19:14:47 GMT, donlu...@aol.com (Donluvbucs) wrote:

>>Butch Anderson out in a wheelchair for the award ceremony. All the DMs
>>there presented him with a plaque for "being our teacher".
>>
>>Everyone knew they were saying goodbye.
>

>Ron,
> Boy, you struck a nerve with that one. I still have the DCW article by
>Carman Cluna in my music binder. Every time I open the book at home or at
>practice I am reminded of how precious yet fragile life is. It helps me to keep
>things in perspective and reminds me also to count my blessings! If you
>remember, long-time Skyliner DM Walt Winkleman was also in attendence and also
>in a wheelchair. He still is.

Yep, saw him there as well. Seeing the two of them in old pictures (in
their prime, as it were), and remembering watching them on the field
really hits home somehow.
It does make one reflect on their own mortality, and how fleeting this
ride really is...

And you're right, in perspective the location of *any* Finals is
pretty insignificant...

Ron in Vegas

Jim Eiden

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

One of the most inspirational moments for us was in 1980, at our show in
Dolton, IL.

Ours was the first performance after the accident.

Spirit of Atlanta was our guest for exhibition. They played with pure
emotion.

A lot of us had tears in our eyes during and after the performance.

Another sad time for us was whe nthe Anderson family was killed. In
1980, the Andersons, used to march with our Corps (Imperials), they left
for the Cavaliers.

While in the south, the family was riding when and on-coming car jumped
the median and hit them head-on. Both parents were killed. And the
kids were seriously injured.

I never knew the family personally, but I'll never forget that Both our
Corps, and the Cavaliers came to the funeral in uniform to pay respects.
The Cavalier had an Honor Guard beside each of the parents' caskets.

Jim Eiden
Imperials
1980-1983

HeMiola302

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

July 5th, 1994 Mankato, Minn. I was in Blue Stars and I knew something was
very strange about the whole day. I felt a weird feeling and I did not know
what it was. After the show I saw the staff in a circle talking about
something. I didn't really pay much attention then, the told me to come over
to them. They were just looking at me and I did not now what to think. They
told me that my father just passed away that afternoon. It was hard for me
but, it was probably just as hard for the staff. If I didn't have the family
that I had in corps, I would have been lost to this day. Thanks guys, wish I
could have marched 96-97.

Zach Glod
Blue Stars 94-95

Madison423

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

>Another very sad day for Spirit of Atlanta was much more recent. Just a
>few years ago, Mr. Tam Easterwood died from a brain tumor (or something
>very similar). He taught Spirit's great rifle lines in the 80's and was
>program coordinator for some of the best shows in the mid to late 80's.
>He was a very talented individual that is missed by all that knew him

Wanna hear something even more sad? He was my high school band director and
friend. Yes, it was a brain tumor, and we played at his funeral. :-( He is
sorely missed by all of us, especially me. That time of my life really gave
completely new meaning to the phrase that I use as my signature..."You'll Never
Walk Alone."
<sigh>

--Matthew

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

EDean88034

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

>Subject: Re: Saddest Drum Corps

I would also like to remember these wonderful guys who have died since they
marched in corps.
Jim Fosselman - baritone - Royals
John Fosselman - baritone - Royals
Marty Fosselman - Mellophone - Royals
Joe Lynch - Mellophone - Royals
Pat Hienz - Cymbol - Royal Chevaliers
Jeff Dane - tympany - Chevaliers
Brian (Tank) Thorson - Contra - Royals

Nolobes1

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

>I will never forget the time in the mid-60's when a bus carrying members
>of the Norwood park (Skokie)Imperials went down the side of an
>embankment killing one of their members, Charles Guider

I was going to respond and say the saddest thing that has ever happened to me
was being involved in the Buccaneer bus accident this past summer, but this
post puts in all in perspective for me. I'm sorry to hear that happened, and
although the accident where my bus driver fell asleep at the wheel was very
sad, no one was killed...

Judy Easton
Survivor of Bus Accident Extraordinare

RDeschene

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97
to EDean88034

This is in memory of Michael Wayne Kilburn, color guard, Cavaliers, 1978
and 1979; I'll never forget your special light. :-)

Sue Templeton Deschene
Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Etobicoke-Oakland Crusaders' colour guard, 1978 to 1980

Mar-Jean Zamperini

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

In 1992, the Golden Lancers had just started their first year of life.
Our arranger, the wonderful Pete Spadaro, passed away with a heart
attack. He was not yet 50, if I can remember, and rumor had it that he
was working on our last arrangement at the time of the attack. This
happened in the spring of that year.

A few months later, during the season, one of the snare drummers (God
forgive me, I simply cannot remember his name) was ill and missed a camp
weekend. He told his girlfriend in the guard that he would catch up with
us for the Butler show (near Pittsburgh) in a couple of days. Before the
show started, the staff had a meeting, and we were told that he had passed
away. His family were Christian Scientists, and refused medical treatment
for his appendicitis.

A very sad couple of months for this young corps.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Mar-Jean Zamperini MJ...@concentric.net
'96-'97 Rochester Crusaders-Bari
'95 Soundwave-Pit
'89-'91 Steel City Ambassadors-Snare/Bari
***American Coaster Enthusiasts Member***

AJLisko

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

The day the following people passed away:

Herman "Hy" Drietzer
Robert "Pepe" Notaro
Ray Ludee
Richard "PeeWee" Todaro
Joseph "JoJo" Todaro
John "Bush" Leonhardt
"Big" John Harris
Richard "Butch" Anderson

If my tears could only be seen on the screen.

Andy Lisko
St. Raphael's/Bpt. PAL 58-68
NY Skyliners 69-81

Ron Allard

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

ajl...@aol.com (AJLisko) wrote:

>The day the following people passed away:
>
> Herman "Hy" Drietzer
> Robert "Pepe" Notaro
> Ray Ludee
> Richard "PeeWee" Todaro
> Joseph "JoJo" Todaro
> John "Bush" Leonhardt
> "Big" John Harris
> Richard "Butch" Anderson
>
>If my tears could only be seen on the screen.

On one of my DCI finals tapes (91?), there is a section on senior
corps. It finishes with Pepe saying he'll stop marching "when the
first shovel of dirt hits my face" (sigh).

Folks, *that's* Drum Corps...

(Listening to strains of 63 Brigs "Black Saddle" in the
background...seems fitting somehow...)

Ron in Vegas

Crkek7377

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97
Zach you have my total Sympathy. You know there has been a lot said about
the differences about drum corps over the years, But Thank God some things
never change about drum corps. And one of those things is "the family of drum
corps" I feel the same way about how my corps was there for me and my Family
when my sister passed away.Just goes to prove that no matter what decade you
might have marched in, SOME things about drum corps never change.

David Dean

Romans 8: 37 to 39

Timothy Mena

Nov 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/28/97

is when I saw someone drink a hefty drink off a beer bottle passed to
the front only to realise after it was swallowed that it was pee.
NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! I
won't say who it was to protect the innocent.

Tim Mena
Cadets 96

RDeschene

Nov 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/29/97

*sniff!* My heart bleeds for you.

Sue

MelliAlex

Nov 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/30/97

A friend and student, Chris Richards, lost his father at a drum corps show.
Chris was marching Crossmen that year, I think 1982 (?)
Anyhow, his father had a pre-exisiting heart condition and dropped dead in the
stands. A shock to us all but that is the way he probably wanted to go.
He was a good man and a great supporter of drum corps and the high school
marching band.

Alex

Jet Pi9949

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

There have been many posts here and I would like to add 2 of my own. the years
and numbers escape me for the most part tho. In I think 1962 or 63, a fire
broke out in Our Lady Of Angels School in Chicago. The fire spread quickly and
without warning or much warning. Many students and teachers died that day, but
several of them I think 3 or4 were Royal Airs. We carried a flag in there
honor from that point on and always always dedicated our show to their
memories. It was avery sad day for the Big Blue. In 1967and 1968, The
Vangaurds (many of which were friends) from Skokie were practicing in an
aircraft hanger at Ohare Airport in Chicago when a Commercial Airliner crashed
into the Hanger. I think 2 died in this accident not to mention everyone on the
plane. Shortly after the season started, the Vangaurd were rehearsing drill
prior to the Cavies show in Desplaines Illinois when Lightning struck the Corps
killing 2 more and shortly after that the corps lost 1 or 2 gals from the gaurd
to a hit and run driver as they were walking out in front of Vangaurd hall near
Ohare Airport. They died and several of the guys in the Corps caught the
driver. He did not like the outcome of his mistake either. It was a very bad 2
years for the Vangaurd

Robb A. Jones

Dec 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/4/97

On an August night in 1995 we lost a unique rookie named Kerby Kalakian.
Another Baritone player from the group was also in that car the night a
drunk driver struck them. The Govies perfomed an emotion filled version of
"Amazing Grace" for Kalakian's family and friends. The corps also set up
a scholarship in his name for "Rookies" in the Govenaires to be used for
corps dues or education.

GPeter7967

Dec 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/4/97

Tim wrote:

>is when I saw someone drink a hefty drink off a beer bottle >passed to
>the front only to realise after it was swallowed that it was pee.

>NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRR>RRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! I

>won't say who it was to protect the innocent.

That's not the saddest just one of the sickest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary Peterson

RLRR

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

My personal saddest memory.

Bob O'Neil Corps manager and founder Burlington Citations 1966?? Former
manager Bedford Militaman

I was with the Burlington Citations in 1970?? ( I was 15 yrs. old.) Mr.
O'Neil would pick me up
every Monday for music rehersal. I would wait on the main street for him to
come by. One night I waited
about 1-11/2 hrs. and went home. Found out later that he had died of heart
attack at work. He wasn't very old
maybe late 40's. He was very special to me ,like a father. I stayed in the
corps for one more year but I didn't have
the same drive. He taught me a lot. A lot about drum corps and working with
other people. My corps brought
together a most unlikely gang of misfits but in the end we made it work
with his help. I remember our first years struggling through
parades and competitions.
I march in Alumni corps now for a lot of reasons. One reason is because I
stopped playing too early and it always bothered
me that I should have continued. I know he would be proud of how I turned
out as well as many others who were Citations.

As of this date the Citations are still around.
Many other corps have long vanished.

--
Ed D.
Citations 67-71

KZ2

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

Drum corps for me as a "kid" formed a makeshift family..all be it a somewhat
disfunctional family...but a family never the less...my memories of those years
are filled with the usual highs and lows...

I want to share this becuase of its individual meaning to me...but also of an
example of the "place" durm coprs filled for many of us "misfit" types....

many of the stories in this thread have been about deaths...but the overranging
theme is that of loss.......well enough of this here is the story...
I marched in a small "class b"...now it would be a division II type
corps.....as thing progressedover the years all the parts started to come
together....45+ in the horn line.. a hot drum line and even a winter
guard!....the instructors that had been with the corps for years were nice
guys...not the DCI type...so they were fired (that made me sad)...the corps
hired an entire new crew...it was an exciting time...thing were going great
untill the drill instructor's lover (he was gay) had a serious accident...this
destroyed the drill instructor and he was unable to function...the other
instructors tried to cover for him...and the entire thing started to spin out
of control....the tensions of whatching the entire dream go bad was
incredible...it was a summer of a downward spiral...whatching members fight
oneanother...watching others get lost in drugs...watching those "hot new
instructors" give up on us....the drum corps was my family and we were barly
hanging on....they had us in contests that were way out of our leauge...every
night at retreet it was so painful I can still feel the hurt....I remember on
tour in a cow field somewhere in ohio the entire thing falling apart the
druggies in the drum line saying they didn't care and getting high before a
show...the fist fight between factions of the horn line durring a
practice.....eventually it was the last show of the year...all the major
regional contests were over including DCI...this was the death of my
"family"... we were in some old...downbeat crime ridden northern NJ town at our
busses waiting to go on...and out of nowhere the drill instructor who all those
months ago started the downward sprial showed up...I remember the fierce anger
I felt ..the intense pain and sorrow...as an adolescent I couldn't see his
pain... .he gave us a speach...he apoligised..he cried..I cried too...it was
one of the saddest days I rember from my drum corps days. we went on and it was
awfull...I rember crying while playing and marching...I knew this was my last
time...I would never be this close to being in a "great corps" agian..and we
lost it...but worst of all was that 2 thirds of the corps didn't care.....at
retreat they all were messing around ...a small group of us remsind
still...tall.... and silent...it was all we had left......that was the last
time the coprs ever did anything...it limped on for a few years...with about 1
third the amount of members then it died from apathy......

that is my sad drum corps story............(thank you for letting me share
something I have really never talked about as an adult....)

Karen

Scott Lawson

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

Unfortunately, I know what you are talking about. The Knights weren't quite that
bad the last year, but it wasn't that great either. We usually had 1-3 staff
members on tour most of the season. We had to skip a day of practice to go out and
try to raise enough money to continue touring for the last month of the summer. We
spent most of the season wondering if tomorrow there would be an announcement that
we had folded because of money problems and we were all going home. I don't know
how, but luckily we made it all the way through the season.

--
Scott Lawson
"Expect my visit when the darkness comes. The night I think is best for

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."
'92-'95 Macomb High Marching Band, Macomb, IL--Trombone
'96-'99 Western Illinois University Marching Band--Trombone
'94-'95 Quad City Knights Drum and Bugle Corps--Baritone
'96-'97 Dubuque Colts Drum and Bugle Corps--Lead Baritone

ST-L...@wiu.edu
Frog...@bigfoot.com
http://www.wiu.edu/users/mustl
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Lair/2592

RDeschene

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

Karen,

>that is my sad drum corps story............(thank you for letting me share
>something I have really never talked about as an adult....)

Thank you for sharing this with us. I must admit that my eyes welled
up when I read it, as there are some aspects of your story that jibe
with my own drum corps experiences. The death of a drum corps, and its
meaning to you, is something that's hard to convey to someone else,
especially someone who's not been through it, but you've given a vivid
description of how painful it is for the members of that drum corps
"family" ... or, at least, the ones who care.

Sue

Jet Pi9949

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

I have a sad moment or 2 of my days in Junior Corps. I was in the Chicago
Royal Airs. Arguably the finest corp ever. In 1965 after the now legendary
corps finished the season, many guys were drafted (VietNam in full swing). and
the 66 corps came out smaller , weaker, and more determined then ever. it took
66,and 67 to rebuild and in 68 the Royal Airs came back strong with 50+ horns
Big drum line . First ever Tymps on the Field, Big Gaurd. Great Corps. We knew
it was our year. Thge heart break came at Nationals in Detroit when we beat
ourselves by going over the finish line ( they had those in 68). to soon and
gettining a 2 point timing penalty. We took 5th with an 88.0 The Kilties won it
with I think an 89.2. Had we not stepped off the field to soon, we would have
won by 8tenths. .8 was a lot then. and a 90.0 in the Finals at Nationals was
unheard of. The hearts were broken and so were the resolves of many. At the
end of 68, many more were drafted or went on to play at the various Military
Corps. But the Big Blue ceased to exist at the end of 68 and the drum Corps
world lost a true champion corps and a great hornline. I am sure that from
Garfto Casper everyone was sad when they heard the news.. The other story is
like many I've heard here. When the Royal Airs Manager, Sie Lurye passed away
it was like a peice of my life died as well. Terry Doran 1966-1968 Royal
Airs, 1996- present Kilties

JF Guider

Feb 4, 2024, 8:33:50 PMFeb 4
On Monday, November 24, 1997 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Jake wrote:
> I will never forget the time in the mid-60's when a bus carrying members
> of the Norwood park (Skokie)Imperials went down the side of an
> embankment killing one of their members, Charles Guider. All the local
> Chicago corps (Cavies, Nisei, Vanguard, St. Andrews, Royals Airs, and a
> host of others) sent uniformed members to his funeral, all intermingled
> instead of in groups. That ended their tour for the year. The next
> year they cam back big and strong with all performances dedicated to
> Charles.
> jake
> Nisei 68-71

Charles Guider was my first cousin... His death, particularly while doing something he loved, tore through our family in the worse possible way. I never knew such hurt, sorrow, and pain. Still, he is missed.