SEEKING "Throwdown" composer/recording

D. Opfer

May 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/22/96

I am seeking information on a piece of marching band music I performed
several years ago and have heard a few times since.

TITLE: "Throwdown"

SEEKING: 1) COMPOSER
2) RECORDING (if any on CD?) of the piece

I'd greatly appreciate any information either as a reply to this group or
in e-mail.

Regards,
Doug Opfer
d...@neosoft.com

Philip S Polson

May 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/26/96

> TITLE: "Throwdown"
>
> SEEKING: 1) COMPOSER
> 2) RECORDING (if any on CD?) of the piece
>
> I'd greatly appreciate any information either as a reply to this group or
> in e-mail.
>
> Regards,
> Doug Opfer
> d...@neosoft.com

I believe the composer it the Band Director at Ok. last neame is
Threalkill not sure of the spelling. I met him once at an O.B Parade

BRYANJ7

May 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/27/96

I believe the piece you refer to was released back in 1987 or so by Jenson
Publications (now Hal Leonard aka Disney). If I'm not mistaken, the
composer of this piece was either Jay Bocook or Bob Cotter. Contact Hal
Leonard and they can advise you as to the availablity.
-Bryan

Roland Barrett

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

Hi, guys. "Throwdown" was my first published marching band chart, done
in 1985 by Jenson Publications. I can get a recording for anyone
interested. Thanks.

Roland Barrett
Assistant Director of Bands
University of Oklahoma

John C. Ostertag

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96
to bry...@aol.com

I have a VERY good recording of the Auburn University MB playing
Throwdown, and from what I can remember, it was written for the
University of Oklahoma Band. Try contacting them. If you want the
recording, I can get it for you, but I leave for Drum Corps in 6 days.

David Ostertag
AUMB

user

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96

West Chester University played this piece in 1987 and '88, I believe.

Jodycoop

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96

I played "Throwdown" in the Auburn University Band in 1987. It was
written by the director at the University of Oklahoma (Thrailkill?). IT
was untititled and unpublisehed at the time, simply having "Jazz Opener
#1" written at the top.

Jenson published it a couple of years later under the name "Throwdown".
It was slightly different than the one I played but still good.

Jody Cooper
AU Marching Band 86-90

Jeff Randall

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96

jody...@aol.com (Jodycoop) writes:

I played the published arrangement of "Throwdown" when I was in HS in
the fall of 87 or 88... Great tune. Still have most of it memorized
too.. =)

Jeff "Euclid" Randall
Naperville Central HS (IL) 86-89
Marching Illini 'bone 90-1994

--
ran...@truth.uph.com | George Orwell was an optimist:
I speak for myself... | "The Constitution is a radical document...it is the

Roland Barrett

Jun 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/5/96

Throwdown was written by Roland Barrett, the assistant director of bands
at the University of Oklahoma. Thanks for the interest--again, let me
know if you would like an original recording.

Roland

bobby....@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2012, 12:24:36 AM7/16/12
Played this tune in High School. Wrote an arrangement of it in college. Have since lost all record of it except my memory. Can anyone provide a recording?

Manuel Nascimento Dos Santos Junior

Nov 5, 2021, 7:08:39 PM11/5/21
Hi Dr. Roland Barrett, how are you, all right? My name is Manuel Júnior and I am a conductor in Amazonas, Brazil. I would love to play this composition of your Throwdown in my social project with low-income students where I volunteer. I've tried to achieve it in countless ways but always without success. Please, if the excellent composer could donate at least the grid of the piece, I would be very happy. Hugs, Manuel Jr.
Email:
mnsj...@gmail.com
mjr.m...@gmail.com