[LOTECH COMP]: Would like to bring it back to life...

1 view

robg...@yahoo.it

Nov 22, 2004, 9:29:35 AM11/22/04
... and run it once a year, with regularity.
Anyone interested to collaborate?
Rules to be discussed and agreed later.
This is just a starting topic.
Rob

Merk

Nov 22, 2004, 10:27:10 AM11/22/04
<robg...@yahoo.it> wrote in message

For the uninitiated, what was the LoTech Comp?

---- Mike.

robg...@yahoo.it

Nov 22, 2004, 10:51:11 AM11/22/04
A comp reserved for "gamebook oriented" interactive fiction.
Rob

Rexx Magnus

Nov 22, 2004, 11:00:08 AM11/22/04
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:51:11 GMT, scrawled:

> A comp reserved for "gamebook oriented" interactive fiction.
> Rob

Choose your own adventure style? Turn to page 104!

I wonder how one would go about converting existing works...

--
http://www.rexx.co.uk

To email me, visit the site.

robg...@yahoo.it

Nov 22, 2004, 11:06:20 AM11/22/04

> Choose your own adventure style? Turn to page 104!

Exactly! :D
Rob

Paul Drallos

Nov 22, 2004, 1:25:01 PM11/22/04
robg...@yahoo.it wrote:

Would this still be based on Jon Ingold's Adventure Book
package?

A couple of years ago I was very excited about getting my
wife's students to create some games with Adventure Book and
hopefully enter them in the LOWTECH comp. But the comp
disappeared before we could start.

Anyway, the LOWTECH tradition is a fairly easy and painless
way for inexperienced IF programmers to get started and
interested in IF.

David Whyld

Nov 22, 2004, 1:38:30 PM11/22/04

<robg...@yahoo.it> wrote in message

I'd certainly be interested. I wrote a gamebook-style game a few months ago
and enjoyed the experience.

Roberto Grassi

Nov 22, 2004, 3:33:27 PM11/22/04

> Would this still be based on Jon Ingold's Adventure Book
> package?

Not in my intention.
It will be open to any platform.
Even on C64 (for our friend Paul Allen ;) )
Rob

Shadow Wolf

Nov 22, 2004, 6:07:55 PM11/22/04
Paul Drallos <pdra...@tir.com> wrote in news:Yvudnerp94dmsz_cRVn-
o...@comcast.com:

> robg...@yahoo.it wrote:
>
>> ... and run it once a year, with regularity.
>> Anyone interested to collaborate?
>> Rules to be discussed and agreed later.
>> This is just a starting topic.
>> Rob
>>

> Would this still be based on Jon Ingold's Adventure Book
> package?

I didn't care much for this package, largely because it displayed green
text on purple background (completely unreadable for me), and there
appeared to be no way to change these colors!

Nothing wrong with choose-your-own (in fact, I'm writing a Java CRPG-like-
game whose interface is largely "choose from the displayed list of
actions"), but being able to read the text is important...

--
Shadow Wolf
shadow_wolf1 at hotpop dot com

Paul Drallos

Nov 22, 2004, 10:56:11 PM11/22/04
Shadow Wolf wrote:

> I didn't care much for this package, largely because it displayed green
> text on purple background (completely unreadable for me), and there
> appeared to be no way to change these colors!

Jon's Adventure book provides an option to compile your game into
z-code. Then you can be run it in any z-code interpreter in any color
combination your interpreter can handle.

Jay Goemmer

Nov 23, 2004, 2:46:57 AM11/23/04

"Rexx Magnus" <tras...@uk2.net> wrote in message

> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:51:11 GMT, scrawled:
>
>> A comp reserved for "gamebook oriented" interactive fiction.
>> Rob
>>

> Choose your own adventure style? Turn to page 104!
>
> I wonder how one would go about converting existing works...

(chuckling) With a scanner, for starters... ;-D

Cheers,

--Jay

Rexx Magnus

Nov 23, 2004, 5:07:41 AM11/23/04
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 07:46:57 GMT, Jay Goemmer scrawled:

>> I wonder how one would go about converting existing works...
>
> (chuckling) With a scanner, for starters... ;-D
>

> Cheers,
>
> --Jay

I meant the other way around, IF to CYOA - but I guess you knew that. :)

Ziv Wities

Nov 23, 2004, 8:47:14 AM11/23/04
> Choose your own adventure style? Turn to page 104!
>
> I wonder how one would go about converting existing works...

Hmmmmm...

"Crystal maze, part 17.

To go south, go to page 83.
To go northwest, go to page 168.
To fly out of the maze, got to page 35."

Hmmmmm...

Shadow Wolf

Nov 23, 2004, 1:24:15 PM11/23/04
Paul Drallos <pdra...@tir.com> wrote in news:h62dnY6_J71KKT_cRVn-
s...@comcast.com:

I do recall that, but it didn't help if the original author didn't compile
to z-code.

Shadow Wolf

Nov 23, 2004, 1:29:46 PM11/23/04
Ziv Wities <ziv...@cs.huji.ac.il> wrote in news:cnvf12$pta$1
@news.iucc.ac.il:

That *would* rather spoil what was one of the great moments of that game
(it was a major epiphany for me when I figured out the solution. Something
that couldn't really be replaced by static fiction.)

Krister Fundin

Nov 23, 2004, 2:03:28 PM11/23/04
Paul Drallos <pdra...@tir.com> wrote in message news:<h62dnY6_J71...@comcast.com>...

Hm... Som time ago I wrote an Inform library for CYOA games. It wasn't very
good, but maybe I should try to update it a bit. At least it worked.

Jay Goemmer

Nov 23, 2004, 11:42:22 PM11/23/04
"Krister Fundin" <fun...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Hm... Som time ago I wrote an Inform library for CYOA games. It wasn't
> very
> good, but maybe I should try to update it a bit. At least it worked.

So if I (and others in the group) wanted to dig it up, where exactly would I
find it? (I'm off to see if I can unearth the current version.)

Cheers,

--Jay

Jay Goemmer

Nov 23, 2004, 11:46:59 PM11/23/04

> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 07:46:57 GMT, Jay Goemmer scrawled:
>
>>> I wonder how one would go about converting existing works...
>>
>> (chuckling) With a scanner, for starters... ;-D
>

> I meant the other way around, IF to CYOA - but I guess you knew that. :)

Ah! Well, then you'd need an "anti-scanner"... preferably, some sort of
device to output the IF text to a hardcopy. (I'm not entirely sure that
particular technology is available, even with us being in the 21st century,
and all.)

Or as a last result, you could always bang a few rocks together.

Trying to keep a straight face,

--Jay

robg...@yahoo.it

Nov 24, 2004, 3:08:21 AM11/24/04
A quick bump just to tell that in the n.4 of Terra d'IF Paolo Lucchesi
wrote a simple linrary file to manage CYOA games with inform.
http://www.robertograssi.net/at/terradif/004/cyoa.h

There's a moderate interest about LoTech comp. I'm considering to write
rules and a homepage.
Look forward.
Rob

Krister Fundin

Nov 24, 2004, 8:18:50 AM11/24/04
"Jay Goemmer" <scra...@rocketshoppe.net> wrote in message news:<OiUod.2536$NU3....@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...

You'd have to dig it up from my hard drive -- it was only an experiment of
sorts. But if anyone's interested, I'll see what I can do with it.

Fredrik Ramsberg

Nov 24, 2004, 8:50:17 AM11/24/04
robg...@yahoo.it wrote in message news:<1101283701.7...@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>...

There's also an Inform library in German for this:

http://www.textfire.de/werkst/cyoa2.htm

and of course, Jon Ingold's Adventure Book can produce a Zcode file
as output:

http://www.ingold.fsnet.co.uk/adbook.htm

/Fredrik

David Whyld

Nov 24, 2004, 1:24:41 PM11/24/04

> "Rexx Magnus" <tras...@uk2.net> wrote in message
>
>> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 07:46:57 GMT, Jay Goemmer scrawled:

>>> (chuckling) With a scanner, for starters... ;-D
>>
>> I meant the other way around, IF to CYOA - but I guess you knew that. :)
>
> Ah! Well, then you'd need an "anti-scanner"... preferably, some sort of
> device to output the IF text to a hardcopy. (I'm not entirely sure that
> particular technology is available, even with us being in the 21st
> century, and all.)

Isn't that called a printer? :)

Jay Goemmer

Nov 24, 2004, 11:21:38 PM11/24/04
"David Whyld" <m...@dwhyld.plus.com> wrote in message

> "Jay Goemmer" <scra...@rocketshoppe.net> wrote in message

>> Ah! Well, then you'd need an "anti-scanner"... preferably, some sort of

>> device to output the IF text to a hardcopy. (I'm not entirely sure that
>> particular technology is available, even with us being in the 21st
>> century, and all.)
>
> Isn't that called a printer? :)

(pretending innocence) Why, I'm sure I *don't* know what you mean. (sly
look)

Cheers,

--Jay

Jon Ingold

Nov 29, 2004, 2:56:35 PM11/29/04

> I do recall that, but it didn't help if the original author didn't compile
> to z-code.

Well, except that you could compile it to zcode yourself. The uncompiled
files are essentially source-code, that can be read by the interpreter
or the editor program.

At which point I'd like to plug the TADS version of the winning game
from 2001-or-whenever-it-was, because I still think it's great:

http://gummiwisdom.com/if/kingdom.gam

Jon