I7: Changing "through" door destination

+*Aldrisang*+

Oct 30, 2009, 5:04:14 AM10/30/09
If you have a door that you go "through" to get to another room (i.e.,
The Vortex is a door. Through it is Oblivion.), what would be the most
simple way to go about changing the destination that the door takes
you to on-the-fly (i.e. saying that now "Through it is New York
City")?

It's 5am in the morning and I've been going through the documentation,
but doors that you pass through don't seem to have much information.

+*Aldrisang*+

Oct 30, 2009, 7:31:47 AM10/30/09
Haven't been able to sleep, nor have I been able to find a way to
change the destination a door takes you to.

So, for this particular variable-exit door... I just made it an
ordinary fixed in place object and used a combination of one of the
room's directions and re-direction of enter/go through commands
performed on the "door" to rig it the way I need it.

It's quite easy to change a room's direction, and who says a door
*needs* to be a "door" object? ;) Especially if it's more like a
portal/object and it doesn't need to appear at the destination...

Jim Aikin

Oct 30, 2009, 12:09:45 PM10/30/09

Yep, that's the way to do it. Inform's implementation of doors as fixed
objects is not one of its happier features.

--JA

+*Aldrisang*+

Oct 30, 2009, 12:35:20 PM10/30/09
> Yep, that's the way to do it. Inform's implementation of doors as fixed
> objects is not one of its happier features.
>
> --JA

Your manual was part of the reason I came to that same conclusion, JA.
It's actually quite simple the way I have it now. Good deal of wasted
time trying to conform to the "door" ideal, which is ironic
considering that I'm now working on a surreal mystery. Time to think
outside the box, just as soon as I can find out where it ends.