[Announce] zasm v0.1 released

1 view

Matt Kimball

Mar 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/16/98

I have just released version 0.1 of zasm, a Perl script implementing
an assembler for the Z-Machine. It should be considered alpha quality
software. Nevertheless, comments and code contributions are
solicited. The following is from the zasm home page:

What is zasm?

zasm is an assembler for the Z-Machine. Since it is implemented in
Perl, it should be fairly portable to the various machines which have
Perl interpreters available.

zasm takes as input a single file with a sequence of Z-Machine
instructions, and it assembles these into a file named out.z5.
Currently zasm only supports version 5 of the Z-Machine.

zasm is distributed under the GNU General Public License.

Why zasm?

Although Graham Nelson's Inform is an excellent tool for generating
Z-Machine story files, it is limited in some ways. In particular, it
is a bit awkward to use when writing programs which allocate and
deallocate memory at run time. In an effort to support this style of
programming, zasm reserves a large portion of address space for
dynamic allocation.

Is zasm for me?

If you are interested primarily in producing Infocom style story
files, Inform is the more appropriate tool. On the other hand, if you
are interested in hacking on the Z-Machine or in writing tools which
compile new languages to the Z-Machine then zasm may meet your needs.

Where can I get more information?

http://www.mkimball.org/zasm.html

--
Matt Kimball
mkim...@xmission.com

J. Holder

Mar 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/16/98

Thus spake Matt Kimball <mkim...@xmission.com>:
: I have just released version 0.1 of zasm, a Perl script implementing

: an assembler for the Z-Machine. It should be considered alpha quality
: software. Nevertheless, comments and code contributions are
: solicited.

Cool! I just dl'ed it. I am looking forward to abusing my zmachine...
And with a Perl toy, no less! MUAHAHAHAHA!

John "didn't get enough sleep and three espressos aren't helping matters" Holder
--
John Holder (jho...@frii.com) http://www.frii.com/~jholder/
Sr. Programmer Analyst, J.D.Edwards World Source Company, Denver, CO

Brian 'Beej' Hall

Mar 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/16/98

In article <6eiafl$1f0$1...@news.xmission.com>,
Matt Kimball <mkim...@xmission.com> wrote:
>What is zasm?

Right! Next project: write a program that converts z-code into C or GNU
Intermediate Code. ;)

-Beej

Matt Kimball

Mar 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/16/98

Brian 'Beej' Hall <be...@ecst.csuchico.edu> wrote:
: Right! Next project: write a program that converts z-code into C or GNU
: Intermediate Code. ;)

Hmm? I was thinking that the other way around might be much more
useful. (Although a Z-code interpreter which does JIT compilation would
be nice).

--
Matt Kimball
mkim...@xmission.com

Andrew Plotkin

Mar 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/16/98

Matt Kimball (mkim...@xmission.com) wrote:
> Brian 'Beej' Hall <be...@ecst.csuchico.edu> wrote:
> : Right! Next project: write a program that converts z-code into C or GNU
> : Intermediate Code. ;)

> Hmm? I was thinking that the other way around might be much more
> useful. (Although a Z-code interpreter which does JIT compilation would
> be nice).

Aauuuggghhhhhhh!

--Z

borogoves..."

David Given

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

In article <6ekand$1oe$1...@news.xmission.com>,

Matt Kimball <mkim...@xmission.com> wrote:
>Brian 'Beej' Hall <be...@ecst.csuchico.edu> wrote:
>: Right! Next project: write a program that converts z-code into C or GNU
>: Intermediate Code. ;)
>
>Hmm? I was thinking that the other way around might be much more
>useful. (Although a Z-code interpreter which does JIT compilation would
>be nice).

How about a GCC back end that produces Z code?

--
David Given
d...@freeyellow.com

Matt Kimball

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

I wrote:
:> Hmm? I was thinking that the other way around might be much more

:> useful. (Although a Z-code interpreter which does JIT compilation would
:> be nice).

Andrew Plotkin <erky...@netcom.com> wrote:
: Aauuuggghhhhhhh!

Of course, some people can still use their own interpreters. :)

--
Matt Kimball
mkim...@xmission.com

The Glassers

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

David Given <dg@> wrote:

> In article <6ekand$1oe$1...@news.xmission.com>,
> Matt Kimball <mkim...@xmission.com> wrote:
> >Brian 'Beej' Hall <be...@ecst.csuchico.edu> wrote:
> >: Right! Next project: write a program that converts z-code into C or GNU
> >: Intermediate Code. ;)
> >

> >Hmm? I was thinking that the other way around might be much more
> >useful. (Although a Z-code interpreter which does JIT compilation would
> >be nice).
>

> How about a GCC back end that produces Z code?

Or a CodeWarrior compiler plugin?

--David Glasser
gla...@NOSPAMuscom.com
Check out my new unfinished website at http://onramp.uscom.com/~glasser
It is better than my two-year-old unfinished website at
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/6028/