A poem in Inform 7

6 views
Skip to first unread message

Brian Slesinsky

unread,
May 6, 2007, 7:58:21 PM5/6/07
to
I recently finished reading Le Ton beau de Marot, an excellent book
about translation by Douglas Hofstadter, who is most well known for
writing Godel, Escher, Bach. The book includes dozens of
translations of "A une Damoyselle malade," a short poem written by
Clement Marot in 1537 as a sort of get-well card to the daughter of
Marguerite de Navarre. The translations vary from literal glosses to
very loose and playful translations that might better be called
adaptations. It looked like fun, so I thought I'd try doing an
adaptation to Inform 7. Here it is:

"Renee Faye" by Brian Slesinsky

Section 1 - Definitions

A Faye is a kind of player-character.
A person can be thin.
Understand "marmalade" as jam.
Understand "urn" as jam.
Understand "maid" as Renee.
The jam is edible.

Section 2 - Rules

When play begins:
Remove yourself from play;
Change the player to Renee;

Instead of going when Renee is thin:
say "You feel too sick to go anywhere."

After eating the Jam:
say "Very good! You feel much better.";
Now Renee is not thin.

After going somewhere:
end the game in victory.

Section 3 - Poem

Sweet Renee
is a Faye.
She is thin.
She is in
Prison Cell.
East from Cell
is Outdoors.
"Though it bores,
have no fear!"
Jam is here.
"Marmalade
for sweet maid
in an urn."
Every turn
when Renee
is thin: say
"'Out of ham,
have some jam.
Have a feast.
Exit: east.
Quickly though!'
said Marot."
When play ends,
say "Your friends
welcome you.
Done with flu!
Now let's play,
Sweet Renee!"

Nikos Chantziaras

unread,
May 6, 2007, 8:27:45 PM5/6/07
to
Brian Slesinsky wrote:
> [...]

> Sweet Renee
> is a Faye.
> She is thin.
> She is in
> Prison Cell.
> East from Cell
> is Outdoors.
> "Though it bores,
> have no fear!"
> Jam is here.

Welcome to the International Obfuscated Inform 7 Code Contest :P

Hazard Suit

unread,
May 7, 2007, 9:20:56 AM5/7/07
to

Great. Could you post one or more translations of the original poem?

Conrad

unread,
May 7, 2007, 12:51:56 PM5/7/07
to
On May 6, 7:58 pm, Brian Slesinsky <bslesin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I recently finished reading Le Ton beau de Marot, an excellent book
> about translation by Douglas Hofstadter, who is most well known for
> writing Godel, Escher, Bach. The book includes dozens of
> translations of "A une Damoyselle malade," a short poem written by
> Clement Marot in 1537 as a sort of get-well card to the daughter of
> Marguerite de Navarre. The translations vary from literal glosses to
> very loose and playful translations that might better be called
> adaptations. It looked like fun, so I thought I'd try doing an
> adaptation to Inform 7. Here it is:
>
> [..]

>
> Sweet Renee
> is a Faye.
> She is thin.
> She is in
> Prison Cell.
> East from Cell
> is Outdoors.
> "Though it bores,
> have no fear!"
> Jam is here.
> ..


Alright, that's just funny.


Conrad.


Victor Gijsbers

unread,
May 9, 2007, 8:35:41 AM5/9/07
to
On May 7, 3:20 pm, Hazard Suit <the-gh...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Great. Could you post one or more translations of the original poem?

Here is the original:
http://www.rdrop.com/~half/Personal/Hobbies/Books/AUneDamoyselleMalade.html

Here is a translation:
http://www.chameleon-translations.com/sample-Marot-fr.shtml

I love the Inform 7 version, by the way. :)

Regards,
Victor

Brian Slesinsky

unread,
May 10, 2007, 12:12:04 PM5/10/07
to
I've published the above poem to my blog and added a few links to
other translations at the end of the article:

http://slesinsky.org/brian/code/a_poem_in_inform_7.html

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages