[IFFF] We have a winnah...

Stephen Granade

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
...and it is Adam Thornton's entry, "In The End 2", which is obviously a
parody of Glowgrass.

You can find his entry, plus his other entry and all the other entries, at
http://interactfiction.miningco.com/library/ifff98/blentry.htm.

Stephen

--
Stephen Granade | Interested in adventure games?
sgra...@phy.duke.edu | Check out

Adam J. Thornton

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
In article <Pine.GSO.3.96.98081...@bohr.phy.duke.edu>,

Stephen Granade <sgra...@bohr.phy.duke.edu> wrote:
>...and it is Adam Thornton's entry, "In The End 2", which is obviously a
>parody of Glowgrass.

Oh YEAH!

I'm a WINNER, BAY-BEE!

I WON! YESSSSS! YESSSSSS! PSYCH! IN-YOUR-FACE! HAH!

I would like to thank Adam Cadre, whose careless throwaway line on IFMud
was the ignition spark to write this thing, and Joe Mason.

I enjoy Joe's contributions to raif. I just didn't enjoy _ITE_ at all.
I hope he doesn't take my game too personally; I don't want to make fun of
*him*, just his game. (Which distinguishes my effort from, say, the
MiSTings of Detective or Stiffy.)

Now I wonder if I'll ever write a game that stands on its own and isn't a
parody of something else.

Probably not. After all:

Life doesn't work that way.

Adam

--
ad...@princeton.edu
"There's a border to somewhere waiting, and a tank full of time." - J. Steinman

Joe Mason

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
In article <6rcd09$31c$1...@cnn.Princeton.EDU>,

Adam J. Thornton <ad...@princeton.edu> wrote:

>I enjoy Joe's contributions to raif. I just didn't enjoy _ITE_ at all.
>I hope he doesn't take my game too personally; I don't want to make fun of
>*him*, just his game. (Which distinguishes my effort from, say, the
>MiSTings of Detective or Stiffy.)

Well, I didn't take it personally, but because of ITE2, I've stopped working on
ITE R2. I had hoped to get a "fixed-up" version of ITE together for the
Millenia Anthology, so I spent a while going through the reviews in SPAG an
on DejaNews, getting a list of things I'd want to do differently in hindsight.

It was a pretty big list.

I was just starting to get back into it, when along came ITE2, which doubled
the size of that list. That, along with some advice I read on
rec.arts.sf.creative ("You can't spend your whole life working on one thing -
you'll never get anything else done") persuaded me to drop the idea. I'm going
to try to finish something else instead.

(BTW, I voted for it. And I laughed my ass off at the toaster. Annoyed me
that I couldn't find a fork to stick into it, though. Hmmm...)

Joe

Adam J. Thornton

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
In article <ExwEv...@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>,

Joe Mason <jcm...@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>In article <6rcd09$31c$1...@cnn.Princeton.EDU>,
>Adam J. Thornton <ad...@princeton.edu> wrote:
>>I enjoy Joe's contributions to raif. I just didn't enjoy _ITE_ at all.
>>I hope he doesn't take my game too personally; I don't want to make fun of
>>*him*, just his game. (Which distinguishes my effort from, say, the
>>MiSTings of Detective or Stiffy.)
>Well, I didn't take it personally, but because of ITE2, I've stopped working on
>ITE R2. I had hoped to get a "fixed-up" version of ITE together for the
>Millenia Anthology, so I spent a while going through the reviews in SPAG an
>on DejaNews, getting a list of things I'd want to do differently in hindsight.
>I was just starting to get back into it, when along came ITE2, which doubled
>the size of that list. That, along with some advice I read on
>rec.arts.sf.creative ("You can't spend your whole life working on one thing -
>you'll never get anything else done") persuaded me to drop the idea. I'm going
>to try to finish something else instead.

Well, I wholeheartedly support *that*, since I think for ITE to *really*
work it'd have to be *enormous*. My major overarching complaint was that
there wasn't enough I could attempt to do to really get my sense of utter
futility going, to the point where suicide felt like the only thing to do,
rather than the inexorable conclusion the piece was dragging me, kicking
and screaming, towards.

And then there's the basic problem: most of us play IF as entertainment or
escape. And a game like ITE is going to be along the lines of a Joyce
Carol Oates novel: I have only so much free time, and I'd prefer to have a
*good* time while using it. Now, there are *great* bleak novels, and no
reason we couldn't have *great* bleak puzzle-less IF, but the prose has to
be far better in such a work to keep me interested than it does in
something that is fun to read for other reasons. I'd rather reread _Snow
Crash_ than reread _Madame Bovary_, although Flaubert blows the pants off
Stephenson as a writer. All other things being equal, I'm going to reach
for a new Rudy Rucker book before I reach for a new Oates novel.

>(BTW, I voted for it. And I laughed my ass off at the toaster. Annoyed me
>that I couldn't find a fork to stick into it, though. Hmmm...)

Hey, that's why there's source. Feel free, like it says in the Your Name
Here! bit of the hint menu. And I didn't code putting the penknife in the
toaster either, let along fiddling with scope so "Go To <ROOM>" worked...