Strange New Idea

1 view

Keith A. Marrocco

May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00
In article <mlGR4.5$jN2....@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net>,
Steven Jones <ste...@tsn.cc> wrote:
>I just had an interesting thought. How about a game that reads like a movie
>script? I'd probably base it on a movie-making related theme (e.g. Scream
>3) For example
>GALE
>Hello Sidney, how's things?

HIT GALE WITH FIST

(?)

K.
---
Keith A. Marrocco - Computing and Information Services
Texas A&M University - (979) 845-1037 - http://lt.tamu.edu/~keith/
Co-Advisor - Society of Mexican American Engineers and Scientists
Advisor - Sigma Lambda Beta Fraternity
--
Keith A. Marrocco - Computing and Information Services
Texas A&M University - (979) 845-1037 - http://lt.tamu.edu/~keith/
Co-Advisor - Society of Mexican American Engineers and Scientists
Advisor - Sigma Lambda Beta Fraternity

Paul O'Brian

May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00
On Tue, 9 May 2000, Steven Jones wrote:

> I just had an interesting thought. How about a game that reads like a movie
> script?

I'm not sure what the advantage would be. How is a movie script more fun
to read than regular prose?

--
Paul O'Brian obr...@colorado.edu http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~obrian

LASH -- Walk the command line at http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~obrian/lash.html

Lucian Paul Smith

May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00
Steven Jones (ste...@tsn.cc) wrote:

: How about a game that reads like a movie script?

This could be a lot of fun. I did something along these lines (though not
to the extent you are proposing) in my speed-IF game, 'Three Steps to the
Left' (ftp://ftp.gmd.de/if-archive/games/mini-comps/speedif3/3steps.z5)

-Lucian

Jasper McChesney

May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00
Steven Jones wrote:

> >x myself
> Sidney is about 21 years old and looking decidedly depressed and sorry for
> herself

I don't know - I find that change from first to third person perspective
jarring and unnatural. If the character is described as "she," I should
interact with her in the same way.

--
Jasper "Asmaul" McChesney - jas...@student.umass.edu
"I wish I believed like you do

Steven Jones

May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
I just had an interesting thought. How about a game that reads like a movie
script? I'd probably base it on a movie-making related theme (e.g. Scream
3) For example

Int - Sidney's bedroom
Sid's bedroom is littered with assorted clothes, comics, makeup, etc.
Sidney Prescott is sitting on her bed, reminiscing on the events of recent
years.

>x myself
Sidney is about 21 years old and looking decidedly depressed and sorry for
herself

>open door
Sidney opens the door and in walks GALE WEATHERS, reporter extroardinnaire.

Matthew T. Russotto

May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
In article <8f7eqa$uh0$1...@loony-toons.tamu.edu>,

Keith A. Marrocco <ke...@loony-toons.tamu.edu> wrote:
}In article <mlGR4.5$jN2....@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net>,
}Steven Jones <ste...@tsn.cc> wrote:
}>I just had an interesting thought. How about a game that reads like a movie
}>script? I'd probably base it on a movie-making related theme (e.g. Scream
}>3) For example
}...

}>GALE
}>Hello Sidney, how's things?
}
}HIT GALE WITH FIST

Don't be silly; you can't hit the wind.
--
Matthew T. Russotto russ...@pond.com
of justice is no virtue."

Mark Musante - Sun Microsystems

May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
Matthew T. Russotto (russ...@wanda.vf.pond.com) wrote:
> In article <8f7eqa$uh0$1...@loony-toons.tamu.edu>,
> Keith A. Marrocco <ke...@loony-toons.tamu.edu> wrote:
> }HIT GALE WITH FIST
>
> Don't be silly; you can't hit the wind.

Who can see the wind?
Neither you nor I.
But when the wind is breaking
Grandpa must be nearby.

-=- Mark -=-

Robb Sherwin

May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
In article <mlGR4.5$jN2....@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net>,
"Steven Jones" <ste...@tsn.cc> wrote:
> I just had an interesting thought. How about a game that reads like
>a movie script? I'd probably base it on a movie-making related theme >
(e.g. Scream 3) For example>
> Int - Sidney's bedroom
> Sid's bedroom is littered with assorted clothes, comics, makeup, etc.
> Sidney Prescott is sitting on her bed, reminiscing on the events of
>recent years.

Heh... When I plot my games, I usually do it in exactly that form.
Course, I then turn it into normal IF during the actual programming.
It's just handy having the names in caps so I know who's in what scene
with my no-font text editor.

--R.

--
Robb Sherwin, Fort Collins CO
Reviews From Trotting Krips: http://ifiction.tsx.org

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Philip Goetz

May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
Steven Jones <ste...@tsn.cc> wrote in message

> I just had an interesting thought. How about a game that reads like a
movie
> script? I'd probably base it on a movie-making related theme (e.g. Scream
> 3) For example
>
> Int - Sidney's bedroom
> Sid's bedroom is littered with assorted clothes, comics, makeup, etc.
> Sidney Prescott is sitting on her bed, reminiscing on the events of recent
> years.
>
> >x myself
> Sidney is about 21 years old and looking decidedly depressed and sorry for
> herself
>
> >open door
> Sidney opens the door and in walks GALE WEATHERS, reporter
extroardinnaire.

> GALE
> Hello Sidney, how's things?

I think it's worth a try. I certainly wouldn't not play a game
because it used that form.

Phil G.

W. Top Changwatchai

May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
Anyone play Abe's Oddyssey? It's a pretty imaginative side-scrolling
arcade game, and a neat gimmick is that you can go into a trance and
possess bad guys (gaining their abilities, including commanding
underlings).

At some points you can also fart, *possess* your fart, fly it by remote
control, and *explode* it up to several screens away. Disgusting yet
hilarious.

The scene below reminded me of that. Scary to contemplate this as a
full-fledged IF game...

Top

--
W. Top Changwatchai
chngwtch at uiuc dot edu

Jonadab the Unsightly One

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
mmus...@Sun.COM (Mark Musante - Sun Microsystems) wrote:

> But when the wind is breaking
> Grandpa must be nearby.

LIVING ROOM
The room is dominated by a large black overstuffed sofa.

A gust of wind shatters into pieces at your feet.

"Dagnabbit."

> go north

You wander into the kitchen. Out of the corner of
your eye you catch a glimpse of what you think might
be someone following, but when you look back, whoever
it was seems to be gone.

KITCHEN
The kitchen is decorated in pink and orange, except
for the refrigerator, which is olive green.

You feel a slight draft.

--

Forward all spam to u...@ftc.gov

Virgil

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
> Who can see the wind?
> Neither you nor I.
> But when the wind is breaking
> Grandpa must be nearby.

Please don't write things like that.
My TrueSmell OlfactoryBlaster card stinks the room out when I view the
message.

Virgil.

David Picton

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
In article <3917A6F6...@student.umass.edu>,
Jasper McChesney <jas...@student.umass.edu> wrote:

> Steven Jones wrote:
> >
> > >x myself
> > Sidney is about 21 years old and looking decidedly depressed and
sorry for
> > herself
>
> I don't know - I find that change from first to third person
perspective
> jarring and unnatural. If the character is described as "she," I
should
> interact with her in the same way.

Yes - the game should of course allow you to refer to the PC in the
third person e.g.

>x sidney

However, I can see no reason why the player shouldn't be allowed to
use 'me' or 'myself' etc. - it's a matter of personal choice.

--
David Picton, University of Birmingham, England
pict...@my-deja.com, da...@aps5.ph.bham.ac.uk

Jonadab the Unsightly One

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
"Virgil" <vir...@N.O.S.P.A.M.danniis-sister.com> wrote:

You need to adjust the settings on your OlfB, then. Go into your
control panel, pick the OlfB (the icon that looks like steam coming
off a pizza), and choose the "limits" tab. Reduce the value on
the "unpleasant" limit until you can handle it. (Use the test
button if you're not sure.) While you're at it, it's probably
a good idea to turn on the "ask me" checkbox for pheromones.
Otherwise that could be very distracting at times.

Daryl McCullough

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
Steven says...

>I just had an interesting thought. How about a game that reads like a movie
>script?

Don't ask our opinions---just do it.

Daryl McCullough
CoGenTex, Inc.