Interactive Fiction Tool Research

90 views
Skip to first unread message

jtba...@ncsu.edu

unread,
Apr 21, 2020, 2:42:45 PM4/21/20
to
Calling all interactive story authors, aspiring and practicing!

The POEM Lab at NC State University (see http://go.ncsu.edu/poem) is conducting research to assess our authoring tool, Villanelle, for creating autonomous characters in interactive stories. Want to participate? Learn more at https://sites.google.com/a/ncsu.edu/villanelle/contribute-to-research.

ne...@zzo38computer.org.invalid

unread,
Apr 21, 2020, 4:59:22 PM4/21/20
to
jtba...@ncsu.edu wrote:
> Calling all interactive story authors, aspiring and practicing!
>
> The POEM Lab at NC State University (see http://go.ncsu.edu/poem) is conduc=
> ting research to assess our authoring tool, Villanelle, for creating autono=
> mous characters in interactive stories. Want to participate? Learn more at =
> https://sites.google.com/a/ncsu.edu/villanelle/contribute-to-research.

Please stop with the requiring to use a Google account, Zoom, Team Viewer,
etc. These Google forms is rather hostile. Why can't you just make a simple
plain text survey? I don't even have a camera or microphone on my computer.

I am not interested in the $25 gift card.

I do know how to program in Glulx, and other programming languages, and
I don't really like GUI so much; a text-based batch interface is better.
Programming the game is the easy part; the difficult part is the story.

--
This signature intentionally left blank.
(But if it has these words, then actually it isn't blank, isn't it?)

rpre...@gmail.com

unread,
Jul 29, 2020, 5:09:59 PM7/29/20
to
On Tuesday, April 21, 2020 at 4:59:22 PM UTC-4, ne...@zzo38computer.org.invalid wrote:

> I do know how to program in Glulx, and other programming languages, and
> I don't really like GUI so much; a text-based batch interface is better.
> Programming the game is the easy part; the difficult part is the story.
>

To my knowledge you can't "program in Glulx". Glulx is a virtual machine
that provides a platform for interactive fiction games. Inform 6 and 7
are two languages that compile to a format suitable for the Glulx platform.

ne...@zzo38computer.org.invalid

unread,
Jul 30, 2020, 12:49:15 PM7/30/20
to
rpre...@gmail.com wrote:
> To my knowledge you can't "program in Glulx". Glulx is a virtual machine
> that provides a platform for interactive fiction games. Inform 6 and 7
> are two languages that compile to a format suitable for the Glulx platform.

Actually, you can program in Glulx, or, more specifically, using a
specific assembler, such as Glasm. I have written a few programs using
that assembler, including a Z-machine implementation in Glulx, as well
as partially a game called "Game of XYZABCDE -- Part II" (incomplete,
because I don't know what to put in, not because I can't program it;
I wrote about it in article <158684548...@zzo38computer.org> if
you are interested). Another example of a Glulx code is listed here:

<!include ":glulx"
<!include ":glk"
!stack 256

:Prompt !string ">> "

!main 3

; Check if Glk supported; quit if not
gestalt gs.IOSystem,2,$
jz $,0

; Open window
!pushr 0,0,0,glk.wintype_TextBuffer,0
glk glk_window_open,5,$2
jz $2,0
push $2
glk glk_set_window,1,0
setiosys 2,0

; Main loop

; Check if number is -1 or 256
0h jne $0,-1,1f
2h copy 0,$0
1h jeq $0,256,2b

; Prompt and get input
streamstr Prompt
!pushr $2,Buf,1,0
glk glk_request_line_event,4,0
1h push Event
glk glk_select,1,0
jne @Etype,glk.evtype_LineInput,1b
jz @Eval1,0b

; Execute operation
copyb @Buf,$1
jeq $1,'i',I
jeq $1,'d',D
jeq $1,'s',S
jeq $1,'o',O
jump 0b

; Increment
:I add $0,1,$0
jump 0b

; Decrement
:D sub $0,1,$0
jump 0b

; Square
:S mul $0,$0,$0
jump 0b

; Output
:O streamnum $0
streamchar 10
jump 0b

!bss
:Event !allot 16
:Etype !is Event
:Ewin !is Event+4
:Eval1 !is Event+8
:Eval2 !is Event+12
:Buf !allot 8

(This program isn't really so useful; it is an implementation of the
rather worthless "Deadfish" esolang. It is just for demonstration.)

rpre...@gmail.com

unread,
Jul 30, 2020, 1:22:19 PM7/30/20
to
On Thursday, July 30, 2020 at 12:49:15 PM UTC-4, ne...@zzo38computer.org.invalid wrote:
> rpre...@gmail.com wrote:
> > To my knowledge you can't "program in Glulx". Glulx is a virtual machine
> > that provides a platform for interactive fiction games. Inform 6 and 7
> > are two languages that compile to a format suitable for the Glulx platform.
>
> Actually, you can program in Glulx, or, more specifically, using a
> specific assembler, such as Glasm. I have written a few programs using
> that assembler, including a Z-machine implementation in Glulx, as well

Wow. I am sorry for promulgating misinformation happy to be corrected!

an...@openbsd.home

unread,
Jan 6, 2021, 10:56:05 PMJan 6
to
Nice, but I find inform6 much easier than some assembler for a VM,
even Inform7 looks like a nightmare because it look like pseudo-English.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages