NEW IF Competition - HighlandComp!

Anonymous

Jan 23, 2001, 10:40:26 AM1/23/01
--- Announcement ---

After careful consideration over a 37.276 second timespan, I have decided to
launch a new IF competition - HighlandComp!

Everybody is invited to try and code an adventure - in Inform only - which
meets the following conditions :-

1) EITHER the setting OR one NPC should be from the Highlands of Scotland
(NOT both)
2) The afore-mentioned setting/birthplace MUST be a REAL PLACE in the
Highlands
3) Your game MUST feature a haggis and a strangely shaped turnip
4) There must be at least 3 rooms, and 1 or more NPCs

Rule 1 does prevent you from having both a setting in the Highlands AND
having your NPCs from the Highlands too...

Rules 3 and 4 exist to add some depth to the games (no "one-room, one
object, no point" entries).

Beyond these four rules, your title can be as wacky or as sensible, as funny
or as serious, and as long or as short as you wish.

Please e-mail your entries to :-

high...@tsd-ltd.demon.co.uk

Closing date for submissions is Sunday the 28th of February, 2001.

No prizes, I'm afraid, but rest assured, everyone will get credit on a new
Interactive Fiction website I am creating, plus I will upload the games to
the IF Archive.

Look forward to receiving your games !

Yours,

Graeme "Highlander" Porter
IF Fan

Blue

Jan 23, 2001, 1:56:03 PM1/23/01
Speaking as a Scotsmen myself I would just like to say I am extremely upset
at the terribley stereo typical description of a Scotsman's eating habbits.
Occasionaly, we have patatoes.

Dark Fiber

Jan 23, 2001, 6:45:35 PM1/23/01
On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 18:56:03 -0000, "Blue" <sys...@freenetname.co.uk>
wrote:

>Speaking as a Scotsmen myself I would just like to say I am extremely upset
>at the terribley stereo typical description of a Scotsman's eating habbits.
>Occasionaly, we have patatoes.

yer mother was irish right? next someone will pipe up about bread and
dripping! (wait.. that was my dads specialty)... ^_^

-df

[ Dark Fiber <dfi...@mega-tokyo.com> Running FreeBSD 4.1 ]
[FAQ] Write Your Own OS
http://www.mega-tokyo.com/os/
3x3 Eyes Fan Fiction Archive
http://www.mega-tokyo.com/pai/
Sarien Sierra Emulator
http://www.mega-tokyo.com/sarien/

Anonymous

Jan 24, 2001, 3:25:38 AM1/24/01
Blue wrote in message ...

>Speaking as a Scotsmen myself I would just like to say I am extremely upset
>at the terribley stereo typical description of a Scotsman's eating habbits.
>Occasionaly, we have patatoes.

Hey; I'm a Scotsman as well, and I am non-stereotypical - I don't like
haggis, turnips, or whisky !

I just thought it would be interesting to see what non-Scottish people knew
of Scotland, or what silly ideas they could come up with for games set in
the Highlands (but without any Highland people) or about Highland people
(but not set in the Highlands)!

Graeme Porter

Blue

Jan 24, 2001, 11:31:06 AM1/24/01

Our site www.C-H-O-A-M.co.uk (temp) would be more than willing to host any
IF based on Scotland. Maybe we could get some prizes together to get ppl
interested...

Blue

Blue

Jan 24, 2001, 11:39:44 AM1/24/01
<Ahem>

WHASSSAUAUAUAUAP?

Blue here, interesting idea for the Highland Comp.

I think the winner should be sent one of those silly tartan hats with the
orange hair stuck on, I dare say I could organise sending it to the
winner... A token prize afterall, is better than none.

Made-In-Scot-Land Productions temporary home @ www.C-H-O-A-M.co.uk

As you can see, my li'l sister decided to have some fun with the html when
my back was turned. I gotta find my ftp info to fix that.

Mark Musante - Sun Microsystems

Jan 24, 2001, 12:54:50 PM1/24/01
Blue (sys...@freenetname.co.uk) wrote:
> Made-In-Scot-Land Productions temporary home @ www.C-H-O-A-M.co.uk

I have to ask: was this name chosen as a Dune reference, or is that
entirely coincidental?

-markm

T Raymond

Jan 24, 2001, 2:10:15 PM1/24/01
Anonymous was overheard typing about:

>After careful consideration over a 37.276 second timespan, I have
>decided to launch a new IF competition - HighlandComp!

Certainly I think this is rather limiting, not everyone programs in
Inform. Which doesn't affect my any as I wouldn't be entering anyway,
but nobody else piped up on that. I thought the whole point of Comps
was to get people to program, regardless of language?

My 5 percent for nothing...

Tom
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Tom Raymond adk AT usaDOTnet

Anonymous

Jan 25, 2001, 3:36:26 AM1/25/01
T Raymond wrote in message ...

>Certainly I think this is rather limiting, not everyone programs in
>Inform. Which doesn't affect my any as I wouldn't be entering anyway,
>but nobody else piped up on that. I thought the whole point of Comps
>was to get people to program, regardless of language?

You have a good point there; it deserves an answer, so here it is :-

The machine I am using at home, where I will be testing all entries to the
comp, is an Intel i486SX-33 based machine. It has a 260 MB hard disk, and
12 MB of RAM.

On this hard disk is MS Windows 95, Internet Explorer 5.5, Outlook Express
5, MediaPlayer, plus a number of other productivity apps.

Also on there is the Inform compiler, and all the relevant library files and
documentation.

And I know that text adventure games are relatively small, and that the
interpreters are not much bigger.

But remember this is a 260 MB hard disk.

Most people when installing an application would look at the "required" hard
disk space, and even if it's 260 MB, they'd say "Ah, it's alright, it's only
260 MB; I can afford that much disk space."

I can't.

P.S. Yes, I'm poor, which is why there is a general lack of prizes for the
competition.

P.P.S. But I did like that idea someone else had about the "See You, Jimmy"
Tam-O'-Shanter hats with the ginger hair affixed as a prize.

Blue

Jan 25, 2001, 4:06:08 PM1/25/01
The ISP FreeNetName give a free .co.uk or .org.uk to every customer: I
didn't know I was gonna be part of MISP back then so I registered the first
thing that came to my mind: Combine Hornette Ober Advancer Mercantile. Dune.

Andrew MacKinnon

Feb 11, 2001, 9:38:33 AM2/11/01
They aren't taking new customers anymore.
--
Andrew MacKinnon
andrew_mac...@yahoo.com

Adam Biltcliffe

Feb 12, 2001, 1:46:53 PM2/12/01
Andrew MacKinnon <andrew_mac...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> They aren't taking new customers anymore.

True.

jw

Richard Bos

Feb 13, 2001, 5:38:33 AM2/13/01
Andrew MacKinnon <andrew_mac...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Blue wrote:
>
> > The ISP FreeNetName give a free .co.uk or .org.uk to every customer: I
> > didn't know I was gonna be part of MISP back then so I registered the first
> > thing that came to my mind: Combine Hornette Ober Advancer Mercantile. Dune.
>
> They aren't taking new customers anymore.

I must say, how infinitely refreshing, though, to finally see a service
know when they've reached their limits. Your average ISP would add
customers by the thousand until their servers could pull no more, then
wait six months while still adding customers before replacing servers
with something barely adequate, and repeat ad libitum until the go
either IPO or broke, or preferably both. FreeNetName, although
potentially mildly annoying to those who find them too late to register,
is far better in the long run. Well done, those guys.

Richard

Stark

Apr 9, 2001, 6:00:42 PM4/9/01
In article <94k8qs$991$1...@pheidippides.axion.bt.co.uk>, "Anonymous"
<gu...@anonymous.com> wrote:

> --- Announcement ---
>
> After careful consideration over a 37.276 second timespan, I have
> decided to launch a new IF competition - HighlandComp!
>
> Everybody is invited to try and code an adventure - in Inform only -
> which meets the following conditions :-
>
> 1) EITHER the setting OR one NPC should be from the Highlands of
> Scotland
> (NOT both)
> 2) The afore-mentioned setting/birthplace MUST be a REAL PLACE in the
> Highlands
> 3) Your game MUST feature a haggis and a strangely shaped turnip
> 4) There must be at least 3 rooms, and 1 or more NPCs
>
> Rule 1 does prevent you from having both a setting in the Highlands AND
> having your NPCs from the Highlands too...

So: I set a game in Edinburgh, but I'm not allowed to have any Scottish
NPCs in it? Seems a little unlikely...

Heh, I guess I could just set it in a University of Edinburgh student flat
full of southern Oxbridge rejects... <grin>

Cheers,
Stark
(ex Uni of Edinburgh student)

MTPletsch

Apr 9, 2001, 9:51:30 PM4/9/01
LOL. That was about two months ago, but I was wondering if anybody knew what
happened to Graeme Porter? I think he said he was going to the Phillipines
or something like that. I still haven't heard about the results of the Comp.
If anyone entered anything, could they PLEASE respond and let me know if you
have any information regarding the turnout? Thank you very much!

Graeme Pletscher

Magnus Olsson

Apr 10, 2001, 3:44:51 AM4/10/01
In article <9atb4d$q92$1...@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>,

Stark <m...@tardis.remove_this_rubbish.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>In article <94k8qs$991$1...@pheidippides.axion.bt.co.uk>, "Anonymous"
><gu...@anonymous.com> wrote:
>> 1) EITHER the setting OR one NPC should be from the Highlands of
>> Scotland
>> (NOT both)

>So: I set a game in Edinburgh, but I'm not allowed to have any Scottish

>NPCs in it? Seems a little unlikely...

Since when is Edinburgh in the Highlands?

--
Magnus Olsson (m...@df.lth.se, m...@pobox.com)
------ http://www.pobox.com/~mol ------

a9218202

Apr 10, 2001, 10:00:59 AM4/10/01

MTPletsch wrote in message <20010409215130...@ng-mj1.aol.com>...

I entered a game, and I know as much as you. I suppose, Graeme Porter will
show up again at the end of April, after coming back from his holidays. I
really would like to be able to play the other games soon, and, of course,
have people play mine. :-)

--Sophie

J.D. Berry

Apr 10, 2001, 2:54:02 PM4/10/01
>===== Original Message From "a9218202" <a921...@unet.univie.ac.at> =====

Why don't you just go ahead, upload your game to gmd and announce it here?
"This was orginally part of HighlandComp, but the organizer bailed. Here's
my
game." It's one thing to be a little late, but I think an organizer is
being
unfair to the authors holding their games in limbo for more than a few
weeks.

If the organizer ever does return, he can still display them on his site.

Just my opinion, of course. But, I don't think anyone would criticize an
author for releasing her game independently, at this point. Well, this IS
RAIF, so maybe one would. But one would be wrong. ;-)

Jim

Stark

Apr 10, 2001, 6:33:41 PM4/10/01
In article <20010409215130...@ng-mj1.aol.com>,
mtpl...@aol.com wrote:

Hmmm. I posted this about two months ago! I have no idea why this
reappeared out of nowhere. I blame my ISP; I'm sure it can't be *my*
fault... <embarrassed grin>

Cheers,
Stark

Stark

Apr 10, 2001, 6:37:44 PM4/10/01
In article <9audlj$7bq$4...@news.lth.se>, m...@pobox.com wrote:

> In article <9atb4d$q92$1...@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>, Stark
> <m...@tardis.remove_this_rubbish.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>>In article <94k8qs$991$1...@pheidippides.axion.bt.co.uk>, "Anonymous"
>><gu...@anonymous.com> wrote:
>>> 1) EITHER the setting OR one NPC should be from the Highlands of
>>> Scotland
>>> (NOT both)
>
>>So: I set a game in Edinburgh, but I'm not allowed to have any Scottish
>>NPCs in it? Seems a little unlikely...
>
> Since when is Edinburgh in the Highlands?

<sigh> My geography was never that good. Particularly poor, as I lived in
Scotland for four years! I stand corrected.

Cheers,
Stark

a9218202

Apr 11, 2001, 9:53:45 AM4/11/01

J.D. Berry wrote in message <3AE2...@MailAndNews.com>...

>Why don't you just go ahead, upload your game to gmd and announce it here?
>"This was orginally part of HighlandComp, but the organizer bailed. Here's
>my
>game." It's one thing to be a little late, but I think an organizer is
>being
>unfair to the authors holding their games in limbo for more than a few
>weeks.
>
>If the organizer ever does return, he can still display them on his site.
>
>Just my opinion, of course. But, I don't think anyone would criticize an
>author for releasing her game independently, at this point. Well, this IS
>RAIF, so maybe one would. But one would be wrong. ;-)

Well, I thought, I'd do that if he didn't show up until the end of April.
But, lazy as I am, I'll wait till then. ;-)

-- Sophie

Adam Biltcliffe

Apr 15, 2001, 9:28:06 AM4/15/01
a9218202 <a921...@unet.univie.ac.at> wrote:

> J.D. Berry wrote:

I admit I (being another HighlandComp entrant) had had thoughts along
these lines. If the third (Graeme said there were only three, right?)
would be willing to 'fess up, we could still release them all together
as a package.

Since it's now two and a half months since I submitted my game, I must
admit I'm a little miffed that it hasn't been released yet.

jw

Anonymous

Apr 18, 2001, 9:28:11 AM4/18/01
OK - score settler.

First of all, I have had a major systems failure on my home PC - the hard
disk has died altogether. For this I am very sorry.

Secondly, since I am now entirely unable to recover the data on the disk
(and I have tried for about 2 weeks solidly), I now call on all 3 entrants
(whose names and e-mail addresses are now sadly missing, since Outlook
Express was configured to delete mail from the mail server once the mail has
been successfully downloaded) to post their entries to GMD, where I will be
able to download them at work and rate them.

I have lost all of my Visual Basic applications and my college work (some of
which were commercial quality), a large amount of my Bryce 2 renderings, all
my e-mail, and my entire Inform games library. Most of this (except the
Inform stuff) is irreplaceable and its loss is of great sadness to me.

Thirdly, the time between the closing date of the competition and the time
of this posting was extended unexpectedly by myself being called out to
customer premises in Indonesia for 20 days (plus travelling time).

I have to say that even by my standards, the competition has gone a bit
wrong... :o(

So, since the entries were all so fantastic, I urge you all - please post
them to GMD and e-mail my Yahoo! mail address telling me you've done it. I
can then get the games and try them out on my lunch breaks at work.

I apologise profusely for the totally shameful handling of the competition.

As I remember, the three entries were completed and received on time. Two
were in Inform, and the other was GLULX (I think that's how you say it).

Yours mournfully (and pathetically),

Graeme Porter
amiga...@yahoo.com

Matthew T. Russotto

Apr 18, 2001, 9:35:13 AM4/18/01
In article <9bk4q3$phq$1...@pheidippides.axion.bt.co.uk>,

Anonymous <gu...@anonymous.com> wrote:
}
}I have lost all of my Visual Basic applications and my college work (some of
}which were commercial quality), a large amount of my Bryce 2 renderings, all
}my e-mail, and my entire Inform games library. Most of this (except the
}Inform stuff) is irreplaceable and its loss is of great sadness to me.

Have you considered a commercial data-recovery service? Expensive, of
course, but possibly worth it. Or if the heads haven't crashed,
purchase of a working drive of the same model and swapping the electronics out?

--
Matthew T. Russotto russ...@pond.com
of justice is no virtue."

Anonymous

Apr 18, 2001, 10:27:50 AM4/18/01

Matthew T. Russotto wrote in message ...

>In article <9bk4q3$phq$1...@pheidippides.axion.bt.co.uk>,
>Anonymous <gu...@anonymous.com> wrote:

>Have you considered a commercial data-recovery service? Expensive, of
>course, but possibly worth it.

Unfortunately I don't make enough... I can't even afford a backup system at
the moment; it really opens your eyes as to how important it is to back up
your data when you lose it like this.

>Or if the heads haven't crashed,
>purchase of a working drive of the same model and swapping the electronics
out?

As I mentioned I am not financially well off - I got the PC I have for free;
it was being dumped by my company to the scrap heap. It (was) a 486 SX
33MHz with 12 MB of RAM and a 200 MB Connor hard disk. It's not even
entirely IDE-compliant; it doesn't support daisy-chaining, even though the
IDE controller on the motherboard supports two IDE devices through on IDE
port.

I had to use drive compression to get Win 95 on there at all.

It's highly doubtful that I'd be able to do the latter since I couldn't find
an identical drive if I tried.

My initial analysis of the drive revealed small burn marks on the part of
the case that corresponds to the location of the central spindle that turns
the discs inside the unit, as well as on the I/O controller on the drive's
circuitry.

However, I think it may be some form of power regulation issue, as the
memory chips in the machine no longer function in a similar 486-based
machine.

The simple matter is that I need a new PC, but I can't afford one.

So I'm stuffed.

Please, folks - post the HighlandComp 2001 entries you e-mailled me with
originally to GMD and I'll rate them at work and post the results on the
group.

There is no set time limit to this one as I remember all 3 entries were