[Walkthrough Comp] Results

Emily Short

May 22, 2001, 2:45:57 PM5/22/01

And here we have ye results:

Congrats to Stephen Granade for Best Game and Matt Fendahleen for Best
Transcript. Honorable Mention to J. Robinson Wheeler for his transcript,
as well; and a special award to Andrew Plotkin for causing me the most
grief with his transcript of a game not in the English language. (Trust
zarf to make a puzzle out of something with a prescribed walkthrough.)

Thanks to everyone who participated: this was a larger turn-out than
expected, and I had a great time seeing what people had done with things.

Reviews and the transcripts/games themselves are available at
http://emshort.home.mindspring.com/walkthrough2.htm.

--
Emily Short
http://emshort.home.mindspring.com/index.htm

Matteo De Luigi

May 23, 2001, 4:34:28 PM5/23/01
Emily Short <ems...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> and a special award to Andrew Plotkin for causing me the most
> grief with his transcript of a game not in the English language. (Trust
> zarf to make a puzzle out of something with a prescribed walkthrough.)

Heh. Remembers me of when I didn't know a word of English and tried
to play games anyway.

Does that language have a name?

--
Matteo De Luigi

David Samuel Myers

May 23, 2001, 5:46:02 PM5/23/01
Matteo De Luigi <mat...@nospam.com> wrote:
> Does that language have a name?

Zarfsperanto?
Glzxperanto?

-d

Adam Biltcliffe

May 23, 2001, 6:32:26 PM5/23/01
"Matteo De Luigi" <mat...@nospam.com> wrote:

> Does that language have a name?

The team of crack monkey linguists working round the clock on ifMUD to try
and come up with a translation seem to have been referring to it as 'Lighan'
so far, although since that seems to be a verb along the lines of 'extract'
or 'capture', it seems unlikely that that's the real name.

The team of monkey linguists on crack came up with a quite different answer,
of course, but that's only to be expected.

jw

mattF

May 23, 2001, 9:44:55 PM5/23/01
> The team of crack monkey linguists working round the clock on ifMUD to try
> and come up with a translation seem to have been referring to it as 'Lighan'
> so far, although since that seems to be a verb along the lines of 'extract'
> or 'capture', it seems unlikely that that's the real name.

May i just say, i'm very much looking forward to seeing r*if posts
with headers like "HELP I AM STUCK IN WALKTHROUGH! (spoilers)"

-mattF

David Given

May 24, 2001, 11:42:10 AM5/24/01
In article <8b3a0406.01052...@posting.google.com>,

lust_fo...@hotmail.com (mattF) writes:
> May i just say, i'm very much looking forward to seeing r*if posts
> with headers like "HELP I AM STUCK IN WALKTHROUGH! (spoilers)"

Zarf, zao be andi. Seis loid be watch (oi andi), and I'm going to
Australia tomorrow, with no net access and won't be able to track the
progress of the decoding effort.

My tentative lexicon, 65-odd words and the compass directions, is at:

http://wired.st-and.ac.uk/~dg/lighan.txt

Have you met the Voynich Manuscript?
http://www.research.att.com/~reeds/voynich.html

--
+- David Given --------McQ-+
| Work: d...@tao-group.com | If a man speaks in a forest, and there is no woman
| Play: d...@cowlark.com | to hear him, is he still wrong?
+- http://www.cowlark.com -+

Mel

May 24, 2001, 9:53:01 PM5/24/01
David Given wrote:

> In article <8b3a0406.01052...@posting.google.com>,
> lust_fo...@hotmail.com (mattF) writes:
> > May i just say, i'm very much looking forward to seeing r*if posts
> > with headers like "HELP I AM STUCK IN WALKTHROUGH! (spoilers)"

> Zarf, zao be andi. Seis loid be watch (oi andi), and I'm going to
> Australia tomorrow, with no net access and won't be able to track the
> progress of the decoding effort.

> My tentative lexicon, 65-odd words and the compass directions, is at:

EEyouch! Now I'm going to *have* to play that game.

:D

Mel

(remove the exclamation of horror to reply)

mattF

May 25, 2001, 1:43:03 AM5/25/01
> Zarf, zao be andi. Seis loid be watch (oi andi), and I'm going to
> Australia tomorrow, with no net access and won't be able to track the
> progress of the decoding effort.

Figuring out the location of the game (I'm pretty sure I'm on the
money, there, anyway) has been very helpful. Not to mention watch.

On a drastically less relevant note, I'm giving serious thought to
concocting an evil musical project with lyrics penned entirely in
Zarfi, or Eblong, or whatever it's called. I could call it "ANDI
SABRAL : Zaol gorny bi fulba seago" It could cause the music industry
a lot of needless pain. Hence, my interest.

-mattF