MCDream (mini-competition)

1 view

ChicagoDave

Jun 22, 2006, 1:59:05 PM6/22/06
I thought it was an appropriate time to start up a mini-comp. Everyone
should have a fair bit of experience with I7, but any platform will do.

Our dreams can be quite vivid. The opening scene of Cattus Atrox was a
very vivid dream I had back in 1998. So the premise of this
mini-competition is to write a game that represents one of your most
vivid dreams. The intent is to convey the emotion you felt that made
the dream so remarkable.

Let's set a submittal date of 7/22. You have exactly 30 days to
complete your MCDream game.

When you're done with your game, please make them available online or
e-mail them to me at davidco/at/iflibrary\dot\com.

No winners or losers. Games will be posted to the archive and available
on iflibrary.com (don't go there now - I just moved my domains and need
to put some code up - check back in a few days).

David C.

steve....@gmail.com

Jun 22, 2006, 10:46:29 PM6/22/06
ChicagoDave wrote:
> I thought it was an appropriate time to start up a mini-comp. Everyone
> should have a fair bit of experience with I7, but any platform will do.

I object. It's all well and good if you want to have an I7 comp, but
having a general comp which recommends a fair bit of experience with
I7, then acquiesces that it will suffice if you submit your game in an
"other" platform -- I find this a little offensive. (By the way, were
Cornelson a TADS-junkhead, I'd complain about the advertisement also:
this is not a platform-war complaint.)

shste...@yahoo.com

Jun 23, 2006, 1:48:14 AM6/23/06
You're not speaking English. You don't know what acquiesce means.

Message has been deleted

Joe Majsterski

Jun 23, 2006, 4:57:12 AM6/23/06
ChicagoDave wrote:
> I thought it was an appropriate time to start up a mini-comp. Everyone
> should have a fair bit of experience with I7, but any platform will do.
>
> Our dreams can be quite vivid. The opening scene of Cattus Atrox was a
> very vivid dream I had back in 1998. So the premise of this
> mini-competition is to write a game that represents one of your most
> vivid dreams. The intent is to convey the emotion you felt that made
> the dream so remarkable.

That's really funny, because the project I'm working on now is based on
a mix of dreams and imagery based on ambient and electronic music.

Quintin Stone

Jun 23, 2006, 9:08:53 AM6/23/06

But Steve, you find everything offensive lately. So who cares?

In the words of Jack Nicholson: Sell crazy someplace else, we're all
stocked up here.

==--- --=--=-- ---==
Quintin Stone "You speak of necessary evil? One of those necessities
st...@rps.net is that if innocents must suffer, the guilty must suffer
www.rps.net more." - Mackenzie Calhoun, "Once Burned" by Peter David

James Cunningham

Jun 23, 2006, 3:54:18 PM6/23/06
On 2006-06-22 22:46:29 -0400, steve....@gmail.com said:

> ChicagoDave wrote:
>> I thought it was an appropriate time to start up a mini-comp. Everyone
>> should have a fair bit of experience with I7, but any platform will do.
>
> I object. It's all well and good if you want to have an I7 comp, but
> having a general comp which recommends a fair bit of experience with
> I7, then acquiesces that it will suffice if you submit your game in an
> "other" platform -- I find this a little offensive.

That attribute of this newsgroup which most appeals to me is your
presence, Steve. I suppose it's my misfortune to be only amused by
utter crazy; life would be easier if Adam Sandler movies could do it;
but you, sir, *you* are a convenience without which I could not survive
such a dreary world. Thank you, sir.

Here, Mr. English Teacher, let me introduce you to an important concept
in language. It's called ambiguity, and all of us must be on the look
out for it, even brilliant minds like you!

"Everyone should have a fair bit of experience with I7"

... means ...

"Most of you probably have experience with I7"

Otherwise, why in the *hell* would he follow it up with "any platform
will do"? Is your brain empty? Stick the end of a broom in your ears
and dust up some of those cobwebs. You're not working at 100%, I'm
afraid.

> (By the way, were
> Cornelson a TADS-junkhead, I'd complain about the advertisement also:
> this is not a platform-war complaint.)

*Of course* you would. And I'm the fairy pony princess queen of
Northern Ireland.

Best,
James

Gabriel

Jun 23, 2006, 7:18:48 PM6/23/06

Perhaps we should just calm down a little bit?
If the guy wants to host a competition, then let him host it, and let
him choose the rules. No-one's forcing you to get involved, so you ought
not to complain.

Besides, you haven't even articulated yourself properly. Exactly what is
it that you're complaining about? Is it somehow unfair that entrants
should be able to write their game in the language with which they're
most familiar (but preferably in I7, as I understood it)? Maybe I just
don't get it because I'm relatively new to IF-making, but it seems that
the most ambiguous argument here is yours.

By the way, acquiesce means to concede, unless I'm mistaken.

Richard Bos

Jun 23, 2006, 7:27:49 PM6/23/06
James Cunningham <jameshcu...@google.com> wrote:

I think you'll find that the fairy pony princess is not the queen of
Northern Ireland, but rather her daughter. And these days, her
grand-daughter as well, I gather.

Richard

ChicagoDave

Jun 23, 2006, 8:00:12 PM6/23/06

In speed-if meets mini-comp fashion, I now highly recommend that all
MCDream games include a Fairy Pony Princess Queen of Northern Ireland.

David C.

PS: Not really, but it would be funny.

Message has been deleted

Erik Wennstrom

Jun 23, 2006, 10:28:13 PM6/23/06

Whew, I was worried that I'd have to spend all week thinking about Fairy
Pony Princess just to be sure that she would end up in my dreams in time
for me to write a game about them.

> No winners or losers. Games will be posted to the archive and available
> on iflibrary.com (don't go there now - I just moved my domains and need
> to put some code up - check back in a few days).

I'm all for zero-sum games and such, but I am a pedant, and I've lost
the battle with my less reasonable half, so I feel that I must point out
that it wouldn't really be much of a competition without some sort of
competetive aspect. I suppose it could just be an exhibition, but it
might help to light a fire under my tuchas to have some sort of concrete
goal to be striving towards (other than just game completeion), even if
it's not as polar as a ranking by judges. Mind you, I'm not clever
enough to think of such a goal, but it'd be nice.

Erik

Knight37

Jun 24, 2006, 12:41:39 AM6/24/06
"ChicagoDave" <david.c...@gmail.com> once tried to test me with:

> I thought it was an appropriate time to start up a mini-comp. Everyone
> should have a fair bit of experience with I7, but any platform will do.
>
> Our dreams can be quite vivid. The opening scene of Cattus Atrox was a
> very vivid dream I had back in 1998. So the premise of this
> mini-competition is to write a game that represents one of your most
> vivid dreams. The intent is to convey the emotion you felt that made
> the dream so remarkable.

I feel a new Stiffy Makane coming on...

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

ChicagoDave

Jun 24, 2006, 7:06:38 PM6/24/06

Erik Wennstrom wrote:

> I'm all for zero-sum games and such, but I am a pedant, and I've lost
> the battle with my less reasonable half, so I feel that I must point out
> that it wouldn't really be much of a competition without some sort of
> competetive aspect. I suppose it could just be an exhibition, but it
> might help to light a fire under my tuchas to have some sort of concrete
> goal to be striving towards (other than just game completeion), even if
> it's not as polar as a ranking by judges. Mind you, I'm not clever
> enough to think of such a goal, but it'd be nice.

Okay. We will have a vote on best M.C. Dream game and the top 3 vote
getters will get one item from the following website:

http://www.cafepress.com/iflibrary

David C.

PS: Yes, I am in fact Fat Bastards cousin, Cheap Bastard.

Erik Wennstrom

Jun 25, 2006, 1:18:59 AM6/25/06

Ooh, prizes!

I've worked on my entry so much the past few days that I don't think it
will be long before game about my dreams starts showing up in my dreams.
Oy, the feedback loop!

Ok, back to work,
Erik

ChicagoDave

Jul 17, 2006, 4:16:40 PM7/17/06
> ChicagoDave wrote:
> Let's set a submittal date of 7/22. You have exactly 30 days to
> complete your MCDream game.

Entries are due in 5 days. You may send them earlier if your game is
already completed. Please zip up the game file and send it to my google
address (reply to the news post).

I will package all of the games up nicely on a web page and accept
ordered votes. Voters must play all of the games and place them in
order from best to worst.

Voting will last for two weeks.

On August 5th I will publish the results, get personal info, and order
t-shirts for the top three vote-getters.

Thanks!

David C.

ChicagoDave

Jul 21, 2006, 4:52:21 PM7/21/06