IF Haikus

1 view
Skip to first unread message

Paul O'Brian

unread,
Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
to
I recently saw a movie haiku website (at
http://www.igs.net/~mtr/haiku-reviews.html), and thought it might be fun
to try the same thing for IF. For those of you who don't know (or don't
remember), a haiku is a 3 line poem with a 5-7-5 syllable pattern -- the
first line has 5 syllables, the second line 7 syllables, and the third
line 5 syllables.

Here are a few I've come up with. (WARNING: Possible spoilage ahead,
depending on how strictly you view spoliers.)


Zork I
------
I'm in a dark place
Without a lantern. I hear
the footsteps of grues.

Zork II
-------
All my things are here
But I'm floating above them,
helpless. Damn wizard!

Curses
------
I can't find the map.
I never knew my house was
so complicated!

Spider and Web
--------------
Yes. No. Yes. Oh, I
thought you were telling the truth.
Let's try it again.

Photopia
--------
Oh, I'm starting to
understand it all now. That
means I -- stop. Stop. Stop!!


Anybody else?

--
Paul O'Brian obr...@colorado.edu http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~obrian
The pulse-pounding, electrifying, edge-of-your-seat event you've been waiting
for is here! Yes, SPAG #21 is out! http://www.sparkynet.com/spag


J.D. Berry

unread,
Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
to
In article <Pine.GSO.3.96.100072...@ucsu.Colorado.EDU>,
Paul O'Brian <obr...@ucsu.Colorado.EDU> wrote:

> Haikus anyone?

Planetfall
----------
What's the deal with Floyd?
Just give me what I need, now
You annoying ‘bot.

LGOP
-------
It’s only missing--
With so many sex almosts--
Leisure Suit Larry

Muse:
-------
If one has not looks
Cash can “buy” one a young wife…
I don’t have either

Spellcasting 101
--------------------
An amusing game
Until one of the many
Unwinnable states


Jim


Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Lucian Paul Smith

unread,
Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
to
Paul O'Brian (obr...@ucsu.Colorado.EDU) wrote:
: I recently saw a movie haiku website (at

: http://www.igs.net/~mtr/haiku-reviews.html), and thought it might be fun
: to try the same thing for IF.

Those were great! Here are some more, only you have to guess the games.

Cuddly, plush, and soft
And yet I must solve puzzles
Tommorow, we lunch.


Today I traipse through
Magical beach encounters.
God, I hate my job.


There's symbolism
In everything around here.
Still, I kick the head.


Compliance: 0
I c@n dO my 0wn th^nki&g:
Ab0rt, REtrY, F@1L?


Walking home, I think
About that hottie, Susan.
Eeeagh! Lions!


Do you use GOTO?
Will you hire me anyway?
The phone never ring.


-Lucian

Joe Mason

unread,
Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
to
irene <icallaci...@csupomona.edu.invalid> wrote:
>>Do you use GOTO?
>>Will you hire me anyway?
>>The phone never ring.
>
>Dangerous Curves

Umm... What?

Joe

Joe Mason

unread,
Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
to
Lucian Paul Smith <lps...@rice.edu> wrote:
>Do you use GOTO?
>Will you hire me anyway?
>The phone never ring.

This one's an amalgamation:

>PICK UP THE PHONE BOOTH
My blood pumper is wronged.
It works flip-flop.

And a recreation of a great moment on the newsgroup:

I Japanese girl,
I like shopping, movie,
Do you like movie?

Joe

irene

unread,
Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
to
jcm...@uwaterloo.ca (Joe Mason) wrote:

>irene <icallaci...@csupomona.edu.invalid> wrote:
>>>Do you use GOTO?
>>>Will you hire me anyway?
>>>The phone never ring.
>>
>>Dangerous Curves
>
>Umm... What?

Bzzzt! I lose. I thought it was Dangerous Curves because:

1. The player can use GO TO <location> instead of standard
compass directions.
2. The game ends immediately if the PC isn't hired.
3. The phone in the PC's office never rings (and some players
complained about this).

irene


-----------------------------------------------------------

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com


Second April

unread,
Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
to
I'll play!

Who and where am I?
Blue glows, blood traces intrigue.
A grim ending waits.

Sun gone, I have rock.
Language meanders warmly.
Multiple meanings.

Do I love myself?
Steamed, frosty, I slay office
fiends, meet Ed Asner.

Nursery rhymes and life
merge when mother disappears.
Time to wreak havoc.

Quest done, Mom displeased.
"Undo violent deeds, now!"
Result: more bloodshed.

Scheming minister
bumps off despicable foes.
Very unseemly.

I'll push Mom around,
befoul bathroom again, eat.
Bugs are everywhere.

Through a white door lie
mushrooms, sundials, fallout,
stories to rewrite.

Mail delivered, but
Changed village gets the boot.
Cat, stone might help now.

Duncan Stevens
dns...@merle.acns.nwu.edu

But buy me a singer to sing one song--
Song about nothing--song about sheep--
Over and over, all day long;
Patch me again my thread-bare sleep.

--Edna St. Vincent Millay

Brown_Recluse

unread,
Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
to
In article <8llchp$i8r$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, Nick Montfort
<nickmo...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> Broken-down teen girl,
> cutoffs under desert sun --
> exploitation game?

a little of the old i-o i-o

Brown_Recluse

unread,
Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
to
In article <Zlpf5.218268$7o1.5...@news2.rdc1.on.home.com>, Joe Mason
<jcm...@uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> irene <icallaci...@csupomona.edu.invalid> wrote:
> >>Do you use GOTO?
> >>Will you hire me anyway?
> >>The phone never ring.
> >
> >Dangerous Curves
>
> Umm... What?
>

> Joe

I think it was called HR Department.
Interview simulator.

Nick Montfort

unread,
Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
to
Here's some more riddle-kus, although not particularly challenging ones:

Lady Liberty
was not planted in this park
earlier today

Broken-down teen girl,
cutoffs under desert sun --
exploitation game?

After a decade
all seems rosy -- the light, though,
is Rockvil's sunset

Paper deadline looms
and, at Tech, worse is afoot:
Cthulhu lurks about

Purply and greenly
the aliens require
a precious keepsake

Sight's sense remains slack
within dark geometries,
but (sniff) it's near

Art show opening,
the thoughts of those four painting
quite different pictures

-Nick M.

Joe Mason

unread,
Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
to
irene <icallaci...@csupomona.edu.invalid> wrote:
>>>>Do you use GOTO?
>>>>Will you hire me anyway?
>>>>The phone never ring.
>>>
>>>Dangerous Curves
>>
>>Umm... What?
>
>Bzzzt! I lose. I thought it was Dangerous Curves because:
>
>1. The player can use GO TO <location> instead of standard
> compass directions.
>2. The game ends immediately if the PC isn't hired.
>3. The phone in the PC's office never rings (and some players
> complained about this).

Aha.

So do you know what it *really* is?

Joe

MFischer5

unread,
Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
to
From: irene icallaci...@csupomona.edu.invalid
>cma...@uwaterloo.ca (Joe Mason) wrote:
>>irene <icallaci...@csupomona.edu.invalid> wrote:
>>>>Do you use GOTO?
>>>>Will you hire me anyway?
>>>>The phone never ring.
>>>
>>>Dangerous Curves
>>
>>Umm... What?
>
>Bzzzt! I lose. I thought it was Dangerous Curves

So did I!

Kathleen

Nick Montfort

unread,
Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
to
Brown_Recluse <brownrecluse@bite_me.com> wrote in reply:

> > Broken-down teen girl,
> > cutoffs under desert sun --
> > exploitation game?
>

> a little of the old i-o i-o

It's off to play we go.

Carl Muckenhoupt

unread,
Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
to
Time is out of joint.
Chase beloved enemy
Through a hundred years.

Wellhouse by streambed
Maze of twisty passages
Where it all began

The mayor is dead!
Wander around aimlessly...
What? Oh, it's over.

Deadly ice magic
Holds sway beneath the mundane -
Sins must be contained.

Mike Fessler

unread,
Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
to
Play scenes from old games
Though strangely transmogrified --
That's right! Coke Is It!

Paul O'Brian

unread,
Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
to
What a fun twist! You guys are great.

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Carl Muckenhoupt wrote:

> Time is out of joint.
> Chase beloved enemy
> Through a hundred years.

Jigsaw

> Wellhouse by streambed
> Maze of twisty passages
> Where it all began

Adventure

> The mayor is dead!
> Wander around aimlessly...
> What? Oh, it's over.

No Irene, this one isn't Dangerous Curves either! :)
Detective.

> Deadly ice magic
> Holds sway beneath the mundane -
> Sins must be contained.

John's Fire Witch

irene

unread,
Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
to
jcm...@uwaterloo.ca (Joe Mason) wrote:
>irene <icallaci...@csupomona.edu.invalid> wrote:
>>>>>Do you use GOTO?
>>>>>Will you hire me anyway?
>>>>>The phone never ring.
>>>>
>>>>Dangerous Curves
>>>
>>>Umm... What?
>>
>>Bzzzt! I lose. I thought it was Dangerous Curves because:
>>
>>1. The player can use GO TO <location> instead of standard
>> compass directions.
>>2. The game ends immediately if the PC isn't hired.
>>3. The phone in the PC's office never rings (and some players
>> complained about this).
>
>Aha.
>
>So do you know what it *really* is?

Human Resources Stories?

Joe Mason

unread,
Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
to
Second April <dns...@merle.acns.nwu.edu> wrote:
>I'll play!

You guys are much better at this than I.

>Who and where am I?
>Blue glows, blood traces intrigue.
>A grim ending waits.

Is this Babel?

>Sun gone, I have rock.
>Language meanders warmly.
>Multiple meanings.

For A Change

>Do I love myself?
>Steamed, frosty, I slay office
>fiends, meet Ed Asner.

Little Blue Men

>Nursery rhymes and life
>merge when mother disappears.
>Time to wreak havoc.

Um... um... I'm ashamed to say I forget the exact title. "Mother Loose"?
Something like that?

>Quest done, Mom displeased.
>"Undo violent deeds, now!"
>Result: more bloodshed.

Zero Sum Game

>Scheming minister
>bumps off despicable foes.
>Very unseemly.

Jacks or Better etc.

>I'll push Mom around,
>befoul bathroom again, eat.
>Bugs are everywhere.

Ick. Coming Home. Die, despicable game, die!

>Through a white door lie
>mushrooms, sundials, fallout,
>stories to rewrite.

Trinity

>Mail delivered, but
>Changed village gets the boot.
>Cat, stone might help now.

Wishbringer

>Duncan Stevens
>dns...@merle.acns.nwu.edu

Wait - that doesn't have the right syllable count!

Joe

Joe Mason

unread,
Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
to
irene <icallaci...@csupomona.edu.invalid> wrote:
>>So do you know what it *really* is?
>
>Human Resources Stories?

That was my pick, too!

Joe

Ryan Franklin

unread,
Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
to
In rec.games.int-fiction Joe Mason <jcm...@uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> Second April <dns...@merle.acns.nwu.edu> wrote:
>>Scheming minister
>>bumps off despicable foes.
>>Very unseemly.
>
> Jacks or Better etc.

Varicella, I think.

--
"furniture fetish" is five syllables long
ry...@cobweb.scarymonsters.net

Message has been deleted

Bennett Standeven

unread,
Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
to

"Joe Mason" <jcm...@uwaterloo.ca> wrote in message
news:SQEf5.220598$7o1.5...@news2.rdc1.on.home.com...

> Second April <dns...@merle.acns.nwu.edu> wrote:
> >I'll play!
>
[...]

>
> >Scheming minister
> >bumps off despicable foes.
> >Very unseemly.
>
> Jacks or Better etc.
>

Uh oh... I would have called it a scheming Pope rather than a scheming
minister, though... (Then again, that doesn't have enough syllables.)

BrenBarn

unread,
Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
to
You should be able to get this one just by knowing who wrote it (if you
played the game):
Stuck outside cabin.
Hints don't help. What the heck is
14217?

Here's a few more cynical ones (no offense intended :-):
Pass banana. Again.
Again. Again. Pass banana.
Again. Pass banana.

What? I go downstairs
and lose? You're darn right I missed
the point entirely.

I am mighty hunter!
Ha! I shot him! Ouch! Oh darn,
the bats have killed me.
--BrenBarn (Bren...@aol.com)
(Name in header has spam-blocker, use the address above instead.)

"Do not follow where the path may lead;
go, instead, where there is no path, and leave a trail."
--Author Unknown

Paul O'Brian

unread,
Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
to
On 26 Jul 2000, BrenBarn wrote:

> Stuck outside cabin.
> Hints don't help. What the heck is
> 14217?

:) Lomalow. Nice one. Though the last line should probably be 14126 to
keep to the syllable count.



> Pass banana. Again.
> Again. Again. Pass banana.
> Again. Pass banana.

Well, Pass the Banana, obviously. But the only way I can make this a haiku
is if I somehow pronounce banana with two syllables, which I can't figure
out how to do. (Note: not an invitation to start another pronunciation
thread.)

> What? I go downstairs
> and lose? You're darn right I missed
> the point entirely.

Hmmm. Curses?

> I am mighty hunter!
> Ha! I shot him! Ouch! Oh darn,
> the bats have killed me.

Hunter, in Darkness. (Again, that first line should probaby be something
like "The mighty hunter!" to satisfy the syllable count.) Though then
again, some other haikus in this thread have had us counting syllables in
things like "Eeeagh!" and ":", so the rules appear to be fairly flexible.

:)

Aeron Pax

unread,
Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
to
Haiku over my favorite IF of all times,
the last line gives away the solution
of the problem that had me stuck for
the longest time....


In Nagasaki
children play the days away
say origami

Nick Montfort

unread,
Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
to
"Aeron Pax" <aer...@online.no> wrote:

> Haiku over my favorite IF of all times,
> the last line gives away the solution
> of the problem that had me stuck for
> the longest time....

Which brings up an interesting idea. If no one's going to write an all-
Haiku IF, at least one could write an all-haiku walkthrough.

-Nick M.

Lelah Conrad

unread,
Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00
to
My turn!!


Sinistra guineas -
Distressed damsel runs amok,
swashes all buckles.

___________

"Analyze this, please!"
Swift the duffer shows his face,
sarge to help solve crime.


_____________

Choked by greed and dust,
my doom entombed forever,
mere treasures grasping.

;) Lelah

Ricardo Dague

unread,
Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00
to
condom, knife -- escape
hottub, apple, girl -- romance
toilet, singing -- death

- Ricardo

Nym

unread,
Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
to

>Sinistra guineas -
>Distressed damsel runs amok,
>swashes all buckles.


Plundered Hearts?

Carl Muckenhoupt

unread,
Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
to
In honor of the current Book Club entry:

Frog mutters nonsense
Witch demands conversation
I am really stuck

BrenBarn

unread,
Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
to
>Which brings up an interesting idea. If no one's going to write an all-
>Haiku IF, at least one could write an all-haiku walkthrough.
Whoa, I might just do that. It would certainly help to alleviate the
monotony, both for programmer and player.

Sean T Barrett

unread,
Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
to
Caller says, "you're late"
Bed will be the death of you
Time to get to work

Sean

TableSaw

unread,
Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
to
Magic isn't true
There's no such thing as a grue
I'm the boss of you

You are near a SHOP!
Paperclips falls from the sky!
The first to FOOD wins!

Window open closed
Even deliberate zarf
Does not know the end

Despite planet's name
You don't get a BFG
To use in mazes

While hunting for Pearl
Some amusing national
Anecdotes are told

Here's a general one. In rhyme even:

>XYZZY, >PLOVER, >PLUGH
A hollow voice answers you
"HELLO, SAILOR" too

--
Tony

"Even if you're right, that's one plus one plus two plus one not one
plus two plus one plus one."
--Wadsworth, Clue

Chris Carlson

unread,
Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
to
In article <FyEE6...@world.std.com>,

9:05! I loved this one. Can anybody point me towards some other well-
crafted, super-brief games?

>
> Sean
>

--
-=* Chris

Joe Mason

unread,
Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
to
TableSaw <adel...@umail.ucsb.edu> wrote:
>You are near a SHOP!
>Paperclips falls from the sky!
>The first to FOOD wins!

What's this one?

Joe

Arcum Dagsson

unread,
Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
to
In article <3980a0fc...@news.nu-world.com>, l...@nu-world.com
(Lelah Conrad) wrote:

> My turn!!

> ___________
>
> "Analyze this, please!"
> Swift the duffer shows his face,
> sarge to help solve crime.
>
>

Wasn't into Infocoms detective fiction, sadly.


> _____________
>
> Choked by greed and dust,
> my doom entombed forever,
> mere treasures grasping.
>
>
>

Infidel
> ;) Lelah

--
--Arcum Dagsson
"You say there's a horse in your bathroom, and all you can do is stand
there naming Beatles songs?"

David Cornelson

unread,
Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
to
"Arcum Dagsson" <Arcum_...@hushmail.c.o.m> wrote in message
news:Arcum_Dagsson-879...@news.randori.com...

And now...

A sleepless lion,
A stranger on a street,
Man cries, "Eeaagh, Lions!!!"

...

Dragon in a town,
Three volunteers meet their doom,
Hero wins the day!

...

Chicken on a leash,
X-Men investigate road,
Aliens kill you.

...

Devil's dirty deeds,
Kids innocence jeopardized,
Gnome does Devil's work.

Jarb

Adam Biltcliffe

unread,
Jul 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/29/00
to
Joe Mason <jcm...@uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

Dan 'inky' Shiovitz's SpeedIF 8 entry, YOU ARE A CHEF! Highly
entertaining in a vaguely worrying kind of way.


jw

Mr. Sabre

unread,
Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00
to
TableSaw wrote in message <8lrop6$82b$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...

>"Even if you're right, that's one plus one plus two plus one not one
>plus two plus one plus one."
> --Wadsworth, Clue


Tim Curry was great in that movie. You know, that would make a good IF game,
wouldn't it?

Sabre
"...No wrong, ...no right, I'm gonna tell you, there's no black and no
white..." -- Queen, One Vision
"Imagination is more important than any knowledge." -- Albert Einstein


Stuart Adair

unread,
Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00
to
On 26 Jul 2000, obr...@ucsu.Colorado.EDU (Paul O'Brian) wrote:

>On 26 Jul 2000, BrenBarn wrote:
>
>> Pass banana. Again.
>> Again. Again. Pass banana.
>> Again. Pass banana.
>
>Well, Pass the Banana, obviously. But the only way I can make this a haiku
>is if I somehow pronounce banana with two syllables, which I can't figure
>out how to do. (Note: not an invitation to start another pronunciation
>thread.)

What's wrong with "'nana"?

>> I am mighty hunter!
>> Ha! I shot him! Ouch! Oh darn,
>> the bats have killed me.
>
>Hunter, in Darkness. (Again, that first line should probaby be something
>like "The mighty hunter!" to satisfy the syllable count.) Though then
>again, some other haikus in this thread have had us counting syllables in
>things like "Eeeagh!" and ":", so the rules appear to be fairly flexible.

Obviously; not one mention of seasons... ;)

--
/(_________)\ >---------- - - - - // - - - - --------<
___/_ ___:____ \\ stuart adair v21 beta 5 // when mailing me, 1 == i \
) ) / __ )> http://stu042.cjb.net // mailto:stu...@b1gfoot.com >
\_______/________/<__________ _ _ _ // _ _ _ _ _________/

Paul O'Brian

unread,
Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
to
On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Ricardo Dague wrote:

> condom, knife -- escape
> hottub, apple, girl -- romance
> toilet, singing -- death

I have no idea what game this is.

Paul O'Brian

unread,
Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
to
Most of these really stumped me. Perhaps they're for games I haven't
played, SpeedIF entries and the like.

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, TableSaw wrote:

> Magic isn't true
> There's no such thing as a grue
> I'm the boss of you

Zork Grand Inquisitor?

> Window open closed
> Even deliberate zarf
> Does not know the end

Space Under The Window?

> Despite planet's name
> You don't get a BFG
> To use in mazes

Countdown to Doom?

> While hunting for Pearl
> Some amusing national
> Anecdotes are told

Firebird?

Adam J. Thornton

unread,
Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
to
In article <8lnp7m$b5m$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Nick Montfort <nickmo...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>Which brings up an interesting idea. If no one's going to write an all-
>Haiku IF, at least one could write an all-haiku walkthrough.

SPOILER:

Silence of the lambs.
To win, but one simple thing:
You must SILENCE LAMBS.

Adam
--
ad...@princeton.edu
"My eyes say their prayers to her / Sailors ring her bell / Like a moth
mistakes a light bulb / For the moon and goes to hell." -- Tom Waits

Adam J. Thornton

unread,
Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
to
In article <Pine.GSO.3.96.100073...@ucsu.Colorado.EDU>,

Paul O'Brian <obr...@ucsu.Colorado.EDU> wrote:
>On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Ricardo Dague wrote:
>
>> condom, knife -- escape
>> hottub, apple, girl -- romance
>> toilet, singing -- death
>
>I have no idea what game this is.
>

Softporn Adventure, I think.

David Given

unread,
Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
to
In article <8lrop6$82b$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
TableSaw <adel...@umail.ucsb.edu> writes:
[...]

> Window open closed
> Even deliberate zarf
> Does not know the end

Easy. _The Space Under the Window_.

[...]


> Here's a general one. In rhyme even:
>
>>XYZZY, >PLOVER, >PLUGH
> A hollow voice answers you
> "HELLO, SAILOR" too

Don't tell me, don't tell me...

--
+- David Given ---------------McQ-+ "Those who do not understand Unix are
| Work: d...@tao-group.com | forced to reinvent it, poorly." --- Henry
| Play: dgi...@iname.com | Spencer
+- http://wired.st-and.ac.uk/~dg -+

Mark Musante - Sun Microsystems

unread,
Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
to
Adam J. Thornton (ad...@princeton.edu) wrote:
> In article <8lnp7m$b5m$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> Nick Montfort <nickmo...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> >Which brings up an interesting idea. If no one's going to write an all-
> >Haiku IF, at least one could write an all-haiku walkthrough.
>
> SPOILER:

> Silence of the lambs.
> To win, but one simple thing:
> You must SILENCE LAMBS.

Yay!


-=- Mark -=-

Nym

unread,
Aug 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/1/00
to
It sounds like a Leisure Suit Larry game I played ages ago, but that isn't
IF of course!


Nym.

Matthew T. Russotto

unread,
Aug 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/1/00
to
In article <8m4seo$2351$1...@corolla.OntheNet.com.au>, Nym <n...@nym.com.au> wrote:
}It sounds like a Leisure Suit Larry game I played ages ago, but that isn't
}IF of course!

The original LSL was a graphical adaptation of the Softporn adventure.
If one was IF, the other was.
--
Matthew T. Russotto russ...@pond.com
"Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice, and moderation in pursuit
of justice is no virtue."

Carl Muckenhoupt

unread,
Aug 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/1/00
to
In article <wCph5.12951$I76.7...@monger.newsread.com>,

russ...@wanda.vf.pond.com (Matthew T. Russotto) wrote:
> The original LSL was a graphical adaptation of the Softporn adventure.
> If one was IF, the other was.

For that matter, I've noticed a few Sierra-style graphic adventures at
GMD: the Hugo trilogy (Hugo's House of Horrors at al.), another
called "Lord Avalot D'Argent" and at least one other. These are all in
the mold of the original King's Quest: you have an on-screen avatar
that you pilot around obstacles, but you also get to type commands into
a text parser.

You can argue about whether or not it's appropriate material for the
Archive, if you're so inclined. I have no problem with it. It's not
as if the Archive is about to be overwhelmed with freely-
redistributable King's Quest imitations.

Carl Muckenhoupt

Adam Biltcliffe

unread,
Aug 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/1/00
to
Matthew T. Russotto <russ...@wanda.vf.pond.com> wrote:

> Nym <n...@nym.com.au> wrote:
> }It sounds like a Leisure Suit Larry game I played ages ago, but that
isn't
> }IF of course!
>

> The original LSL was a graphical adaptation of the Softporn adventure.
> If one was IF, the other was.

In much the same way that a film based on a book is also a book?


jw

Matthew T. Russotto

unread,
Aug 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/1/00
to
In article <8m72mo$mbs$1...@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>,

No. In much the same way that an illustrated book is still a book.

Konnrad / T Taylor

unread,
Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00
to
"Pass The Banana".

In Haiku.

See nine bananas.
Pass them to the flaming head.
And complete the game.


TOM

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages