inform and german language

1 view
Skip to first unread message

Kolja Kaehler

unread,
May 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/25/98
to

Hi there!

I just started out with Inform and I'm currently working on my first "real"
interactive story -- in german language. Browsing for support for my native
tongue, I came across Tinic Urou's gInform, which I'm using now (version 0.5).
I'm really happy that someone has invested the time and energy to work
through all the grammar, but I also see that there's still a lot of stuff to
do. So, before I start diving into the depths of grammar and parsers myself,
my question is: Has anyone already taken Tinic's work a step further, are
there newer versions of gInform that I'm not aware of or is there even some
other, unrelated package?

(gInform 0.5 is dated 1996 and I figure someone on this world must have built
a german text adventure since then, right?)

More than that, I'd be interested in experiences and problems related to
writing inform stories in german language.

Hmmm, thinking about this: If there's some programming language that does a
better job at handling german than inform (and I think inform is pretty good
at this), give me a hint!

Thanks,

-Kolja

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kolja Kaehler <k...@cs.tu-berlin.de>

R. Schaupp

unread,
May 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/26/98
to Kolja Kaehler

Hi!
Seems strange to me, but I am digging in the same field, only first
tried TADS as language instead.
Maybe we should do a little brainstorming with the projects?

I do not know, where all the problems with the few IF written in German
are, but what I saw up to now had mostly to do with Umlauts ("Öffne":
dieses Wort kenne ich nicht..."), and that makes portability of the
games between DOS, Win95, Mac, Unix etc. very uncomfortable (I have not
had the luck to find any game, that dealt with this properly, yet).
Next step is grammar. I found Toni Arnolds very useful infos on "Inform
auf Deutsch" at <http://www.unizh.ch/~tarnold/DINF.HTM> together with a
translation of "advent" and a game with sourcecode of his own, but since
I am not a programmer I cannot evaluate all of these efforts.
Anyway: I think to force the player to type "koerper" or "gruen" is not
elegant for any game in 1998.

Kolja Kaehler wrote:
> tongue, I came across Tinic Urou's gInform, which I'm using now (version 0.5).

Where is it? gmd?

> More than that, I'd be interested in experiences and problems related to
> writing inform stories in german language.

I´d prefer HTML-TADS over Inform because it has a very nice potential
for adding multi media with at the same time not annoying people, that
don´t like to look at grafics and listen to odd sound.
And it supports Latin-1. Since it´s still beta, maybe the author can be
convinced do add LATIN-2 as well for our Polish, Czech.... friends. But
that´s just dreaming. I confess, that my knowledge is still at reading
page hundredsomething of the manual and trying to figure out, where to
add the german wording.

Cave canem :-),
Rainer
--
R. Schaupp ___ _ _
ICQ 8284627 |_ ) / / |
sch...@usa.net / / | | |
erare umanum est. yep! /___| |_|_|

Paul David Doherty

unread,
May 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/26/98
to

In article <356AA2B4...@mails.zrz.tu-berlin.de>,

R. Schaupp <rsch...@mails.zrz.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
>
>> More than that, I'd be interested in experiences and problems related to
>> writing inform stories in german language.
>I4d prefer HTML-TADS over Inform because it has a very nice potential

>for adding multi media with at the same time not annoying people, that
>don4t like to look at grafics and listen to odd sound.
>And it supports Latin-1.

As do some (most?) Z-machine interpreters. It's part of the Standard.

-- Dave


J. Holder

unread,
May 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/26/98
to

Thus spake R. Schaupp <rsch...@mails.zrz.tu-berlin.de>:
: And it supports Latin-1. Since it´s still beta, maybe the author can be

: convinced do add LATIN-2 as well for our Polish, Czech.... friends. But

Not to mention Esperanto! ;)

--
John Holder (jho...@frii.com) http://www.frii.com/~jholder/
Sr. Programmer Analyst, J.D.Edwards World Source Company, Denver, CO
http://www.jdedwards.com/

Jason Westman

unread,
May 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/26/98
to

DOS Frotz in plaintext mode (dunno about its graphical [Amiga?] mode) uses the
DOS character set, which isn't Latin-1.

=> Jason!
--
Some women want zero from a man, and others want lots of zeros from a man.

Spamblocked, remove passion to reply!

Paul David Doherty

unread,
May 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/27/98
to

In article <356B762E...@starplace.compassion>,

Jason Westman <matan...@starplace.compassion> wrote:
>Paul David Doherty wrote:
>>
>> In article <356AA2B4...@mails.zrz.tu-berlin.de>,
>> R. Schaupp <rsch...@mails.zrz.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
>> >
>> >I4d prefer HTML-TADS over Inform because it has a very nice potential
[...]

>> >And it supports Latin-1.
>>
>> As do some (most?) Z-machine interpreters. It's part of the Standard.
>
>DOS Frotz in plaintext mode (dunno about its graphical [Amiga?] mode) uses the
>DOS character set, which isn't Latin-1.

Depends on which codepage you've selected. Should be explained in the readme
file.

-- Dave


Jason Westman

unread,
May 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/28/98
to

Paul David Doherty wrote:
>
> In article <356B762E...@starplace.compassion>,
> Jason Westman <matan...@starplace.compassion> wrote:
> >Paul David Doherty wrote:
> >>
> >> In article <356AA2B4...@mails.zrz.tu-berlin.de>,
> >> R. Schaupp <rsch...@mails.zrz.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> >> >
> >> >I4d prefer HTML-TADS over Inform because it has a very nice potential
> [...]
> >> >And it supports Latin-1.
> >>
> >> As do some (most?) Z-machine interpreters. It's part of the Standard.
> >
> >DOS Frotz in plaintext mode (dunno about its graphical [Amiga?] mode) uses the
> >DOS character set, which isn't Latin-1.
>
> Depends on which codepage you've selected. Should be explained in the readme
> file.

aiee.. from 'the readme file'

Q: Why do I get weird characters instead of accented letters?
A: Activate IBM font 850 (consult your DOS manual). Alternatively,
the hardware default font 437 displays most important characters
such as French, German or Spanish letters properly.

Of course, used computers don't come with DOS manuals (especially if they are
used Win95 computers...)

=> Jason!
--
Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery?

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages