Spam on the group

Peter Hull

Jul 23, 2022, 8:08:57 AMJul 23
Is there any way we can stop 'hester holt' adding these links to e-book downloads? I believe they are nothing to do with rec.arts.int-fiction.

ne...@zzo38computer.org.invalid

Jul 23, 2022, 1:50:10 PMJul 23
Peter Hull <peter...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any way we can stop 'hester holt' adding these links to e-book downloads? I believe they are nothing to do with rec.arts.int-fiction.

Since they are sending them from Google, you could tell Google, I suppose.

You can avoid receiving those messages by defining a filter and downscoring
them, although since you are using Google I do not know if that will work
on Google. (Someone using NNTP can do that, though.)

(All of the spam on Usenet (that I have seen) seems to be from Google these
days. However, there are also legitimate users on Google, so I do not wish
to hide (or delete) all messages from Google.)

--
Don't laugh at the moon when it is day time in France.

John W Kennedy

Jul 23, 2022, 2:42:29 PMJul 23
On 7/23/22 8:08 AM, Peter Hull wrote:
> Is there any way we can stop 'hester holt' adding these links to e-book downloads? I believe they are nothing to do with rec.arts.int-fiction.

He just moves on to anotheer group.; he’s been doing it for years. But
there is no way to protect USENET groups from spam unless the group,
from the day that it was born, has had a moderator. In theory a new
group called rec.arts.int-fiction.moderated could be created, but that
would mean having someone to serve as a moderator, and it would also
mean a vote, and I doubt very much that could even be organized.

There is one other way. I suspect this guy is committing some kind of
crime, and if we could get the FBI’s attention, they could arrest him.
But the FBI has all it can do with kiddy porn, violent right-wing loons,
and the like.

--
John W. Kennedy
Algernon Burbage, Lord Roderick, Father Martin, Bishop Baldwin,

Peter Hull

Jul 24, 2022, 8:41:52 AMJul 24
On Saturday, 23 July 2022 at 19:42:29 UTC+1, John W. Kennedy wrote:
> On 7/23/22 8:08 AM, Peter Hull wrote:
> > Is there any way we can stop 'hester holt' adding these links to e-book downloads? I believe they are nothing to do with rec.arts.int-fiction.
> He just moves on to anotheer group.; he’s been doing it for years. But
> there is no way to protect USENET groups from spam
It's annoying, especially given the number of non-spam messages is somewhat low these days. But I suppose it's no worse than that.

Google has a Report Spam button which I have used each and every time these postings come up but as far as I can see it just hides them from me, it doesn't remove them or get the user banned.

Cheers,
Peter

John W Kennedy

Jul 24, 2022, 3:31:36 PMJul 24
Google has groups of its own, but it also acts as a gateway and archive
for the far older and massively decentralized Network News system. RAIF
is on that system, which has no filtering beyond the ability to moderate
incoming new messages, and that ability can be installed only when the
group is created.